Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Sorry I blanked out after seeing "Curt Schilling" because I go into a rage blackout whenever that shitturd opens his disgusting yap.  The media needs to stop paying attention to him so he can crawl back under the bridge. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

Sorry I blanked out after seeing "Curt Schilling" because I go into a rage blackout whenever that shitturd opens his disgusting yap.  The media needs to stop paying attention to him so he can crawl back under the bridge. 

He's running for the Senate.

I have no issue with a bat flip, no matter when it happens in a game but I do have issue with Kevin's choice of words. Do better. And also, try not to break the best players in the game?! That was probably an accident but knowing these guys they'll probably find a way to make a bigger thing out of it today, even though they did the breaking.

I don't have problems with bat flips, though I think that you look rather silly when you bat flip a solo HR with your team way behind.

But bat flipping a solo HR down by 5 an inning after the benches cleared because your teammate yelled a homophobic slur at the other team's pitcher because the pitcher struck him out? That's just asinine. And that's on top of Freeman's wrist being broken on the 7th hit by pitch against the Braves in the series? Bautista is either the most self centered person in baseball or he was trying to provoke a fight.

• Love 5
(edited)

Bautista's bat flip in the playoffs a couple of years ago was awesome..

Bautista's bat flip last night was bush league.

I think circumstances matter.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 7
(edited)

Freeman is out for at least 8-10 weeks with a broken wrist. A real shame, he's been playing at an MVP contending level this season, has been on a pace to hit 60+ HRs, and was looking like the starting 1B for the NL in the All Star game. For a team that isn't likely to contend for the playoffs, watching Freeman was one of the few bright spots Braves fans had to look forward to.

Edited by Perfect Xero
(edited)

Sigh, I don't even know what to say about the Blue Jays. No defending what Pillar did, glad he's suspended. 

It's only the second month of the season, all the goodwill in the city from the past few seasons is just draining away, especially since now everybody is loving the Leafs again.

Also I'm 100% sure that the hit was an accident. Loup isn't exactly our top pitcher.

Edited by dkb
3 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

Bautista is either the most self centered person in baseball or he was trying to provoke a fight.

It can be both.

I'm so disappointed in Pillar. I used to really enjoy his more acrobatic defensive gems. Now I can't. I want to believe he's genuinely contrite, but I just kinda don't.

• Love 2

I feel the same way about Pillar especially since he's a Jewish player (and there are so few of us) so he could have been on the receiving end of slurs and epithets during his career.  I'd almost expect him to know better.  What he did was not cool at all and, honestly, I'll never look at him the same way again.

• Love 3
(edited)

Rob Thompson is managing the Yankees tonight, as Joe Girardi's daughter Serena is graduating from high school.  I remember when she was born(in 1999, his last year playing with the Yankees).

Damn, I'm old.

Edited by smittykins
  • Love 1

Mets snapped their losing streak. Terry Collins is one win away from tying Davey Johnson's mark among managers. Davey made his mark in six-plus seasons, and Terry has been around for what feels like an eternity.

• Love 1

Buster Olney doesn't like it, and I know in normal circumstances it could be assault, but I'm finding all these benches-clearing brawls because someone is getting thrown at hilarious.  Get in there Donny Baseball!  Defend your men.

(edited)

This Red Sox fan is following the first place Milwaukee Brewers because of Travis Shaw being traded there and he is doing very well while the Sox and their high-priced free agents are not.

I like that the small market Brewers are doing well and they are a fun team to follow. 

Edited by rcc
added that the Brewers are in first place
  • Love 1

Ok so a loss always sucks but Joe Girardi petulantly pushing dirt onto home plate is one of the more amusing things I have seen on a diamond.

Less amusing was Sanchez getting plunked in the neck with a foul ball.  He should have been taken out right then.

Wait. . . I just found out that part of Mattingly's beef with the Dodgers is that they had the audacity to actually swing at 3-0 pitches when they had the lead? That is easily the stupidest unwritten rule I have ever heard of. 

What's he want, some kind of mercy rule?

• Love 3

Got an e-mail from the Mets. On Friday night, they're giving away shirts centered on Jacob deGrom. The big question: What calamity will before deGrom before the end of the week?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Got an e-mail from the Mets. On Friday night, they're giving away shirts centered on Jacob deGrom. The big question: What calamity will before deGrom before the end of the week?

Ummm, his barber sneezes and cuts an embarrassingly huge chunk out of his impressive locks?

• Love 2
(edited)

Happy 44th birthday today Bartolo!  I love him because he's six months older than I am and there are very few of my peers still playing major sports.

Oh Jacoby.  It's nice to get an out, but now you are broken.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, jennifer6973 said:

He's about 3 weeks older then I am.  He needs to stop aging, but good on him for playing this long.

Seven earned runs in five innings today. A season ERA of almost seven.

Father Time is still undefeated.

• Love 2

Was quite concerned about the Yankees being no hit today and also anxious to see if they could win a game while being no hit. CC was pretty damn good and Sanchez really is a great defensive catcher. But this team needs to start hitting. I am not expecting WS baseball or even playoff baseball but damn, guys gotta hit! April was a freakishly hot offensively but they are coming down to earth. Let's see if they can get better. Still, fun baseball in the Bronx is a wonderful thing. 

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, prican58 said:

Was quite concerned about the Yankees being no hit today and also anxious to see if they could win a game while being no hit. CC was pretty damn good and Sanchez really is a great defensive catcher. But this team needs to start hitting. I am not expecting WS baseball or even playoff baseball but damn, guys gotta hit! April was a freakishly hot offensively but they are coming down to earth. Let's see if they can get better. Still, fun baseball in the Bronx is a wonderful thing. 

Who was the umpire behind home plate in that game?  What a crap game he called.

"In case you're just joining us on ESPN, the Pirates have come back from a 10-0 hole in the bottom of the ninth inning to defeat the Mets, 14-10. As you can see, New York general manager Sandy Alderson has walked onto the field . . . and yes, he is armed. And manager Terry Collins has dropped to his knees and is genuflecting in a slow, solemn manner. Of course, none of the security in Pittsburgh is doing a thing to stop it, because these are the Mets. If their fans were smart, they'd root for the Yankees. Hey, maybe this will do it."

ETA: Turns out deGrom's Free Shirt Friday is next week. My mistake.

• Love 2

Why is there a need to choose which of the OF's is The Man? They are in the very early stages of their careers. Conforto can hit. No question, So can Judge. I think Judge is a better than average fielder but  don't see enough of Conforto to rate him. I am going to Citi next Sun (vs Pittsburgh) so perhaps I can see how good he is.

The point is that choosing between them now is not fair. Wait 3-4 seasons.

Shades of Willie, Mickey and the Duke.

• Love 2

Worst umpires  1) Cowboy Joe West

2) C.B. Bucknor

3) Angel Hernandez

4) Vic Carapazza

• Love 1

Watching the media surround the Mets, I have to ask: is it that bad? I mean, it's not great, but we're not talking about the late-Seventies/pre-Doubleday/Wilpon era. Or "The Worst Team Money Can Buy." Come on, what about the George Steinbrenner years with the Yankees? I can do the math, but I'm certain that the average tenure for a manager pre-Torre was under two years.

Whoo, that Astros game today... At one point, they were down 2-8 at the Twins -- only for them to win the game 16-8, thanks to an 11-run 8th inning (and another 3 in the 9th).

So the good:  Two of my teams won today, which meant today was a good day because the Yankees lost.

Good on ya Buster Posey for realizing your pitcher is a tool and letting him handle it himself.

Good on ya MadBum for staying in the dugout, no need to get hurt again.

The Bad:  Hunter Strickland is a tool.   Holding a grudge for 2 1/2 years when you won the WS is a really bad thing.

• Love 3

I think when you're on the DL you aren't allowed to go on the field anyway so good on Bum for doing the smart thing this time around. Although Pence is on the DL and he went out, but it was to drag that man-beast away along with the help of Mac and Kontos. And Strick had the nerve to push Pence in the face. 

Im just glad no one got hurt over Strickland's selfish move. I don't mind that Harper is literally butthurt though.... the prima donna has been ejected 9 times now.

(edited)
14 hours ago, jennifer6973 said:

Good on ya Buster Posey for realizing your pitcher is a tool and letting him handle it himself.

Buster is a major league Crash Davis, isn't he?

Edited by AimingforYoko
  • Love 3

I rarely watch ESPN for live baseball coverage (even though Jessica Mendoza is my girl crush) but I tuned in on Memorial Day and truly enjoyed Adnan Virk in the booth with Tim Kurkjian.  It was the first I'd heard of Adnan and he was good, very good, as well as being easy on the eyes.