Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
smittykins

MLB Thread

1 hour ago, ebk57 said:

And here they are - your local broadcasting team rankings for 2019:

https://awfulannouncing.com/mlb/your-2019-local-mlb-announcer-rankings.html#main-content

At least we're in the top 5 of something.  (Well, technically, we're in the top 5 of our division, but that really doesn't count).

I actually like (and miss greatly) the 30th place broadcast team. I wish I had sports channels on my basic DirecTV package.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ebk57 said:

And here they are - your local broadcasting team rankings for 2019:

https://awfulannouncing.com/mlb/your-2019-local-mlb-announcer-rankings.html#main-content

At least we're in the top 5 of something.  (Well, technically, we're in the top 5 of our division, but that really doesn't count). 

I still don't understand how SD beat out SF for #1, but I'll consider it a fluke.

I am really perplexed (or possibly I'm just atypical) but I find the Padres broadcasting team terrible and have for years. And yet there they are with the lowest percentage of Fs. For a hot minute I thought maybe the score was skewed by the sometimes presence of Tony Gwynn Jr and people being sentimental for anything Gwynn, but he wasn't even included in the list. I don't get it. Hard to argue with the rest of the top 10.

3 hours ago, mojoween said:

I won’t discuss the Yankees 16th place grade because I feel like that’s ballot-stuffing by the haters.

6 minutes ago, smittykins said:

Michael Kay is back!

See, I think there's a connection between these two points.  I don't wish voice trouble on anyone, but it was sure nice not to have Kay in my living room for the last month.  I find him both boring and overbearing.  And definitely not as funny as he thinks he is.

Also, Paul O'Neill is very lovable (political opinions aside), but he isn't exactly enlightening or interesting.  Kenny S and David C are fantastic.  So ... a decidedly mixed bag of announcers IMO.  Middle of the pack sounds about right to this Yankee fan.

• Like 2

I looove Paulie.  Part of that is residual fondness for beating the A’s in 1990.

Other random observations:

I like the guitar patch on the Cleveland unis representing the All-Star game.

I missed Michael Kay but I really loved Ryan Ruoco.

Yasiel Puig is sometimes dynamic and sometimes his hustle is...not there.

I want a hug from Cameron Maybin.

Mo should be in all the broadcast booths all the time.

• Like 2

The parade of Yankees getting ejected is horseshit and MLB needs to do something about it.

The terrible umps are making a living off calling balls as strikes and there is NO accountability for it.  Boone has been right every time.

Gardy is going to take down one of these dugout roofs one day.

• Like 1
  • Surprise 1

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

The parade of Yankees getting ejected is horseshit and MLB needs to do something about it.

The terrible umps are making a living off calling balls as strikes and there is NO accountability for it.  Boone has been right every time.

Gardy is going to take down one of these dugout roofs one day.

I wondered what all that was about - Gardner tapping the dugout roof with his bat. Is that a nervous habit or something?

So after making my brother sit through an Os game, he made me sit through a Nats game tonight (he'd never been to the park and wanted to see it - and there was a 'head giveaway tonight!).  And...we almost got to sit through 2 games.  Yay?  

Good thing I don't really care about the Nats.  That game was kinda frustrating. 

• Like 1

The Tribe have been furious with the umps as well.  I lost count of how many strikes we threw that were called balls.  If it were a drinking game we’d all be dead.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Looks like I forgot to mention the most fun thing - Jack White was in the house before his show down the street at The Anthem!  And then I found out a more fun thing - the game went on so long, Jack came back after his show down the street at The Anthem!

https://deadspin.com/surly-baseball-fan-jack-white-returned-to-watch-nationa-1837345615

I saw that on Twitter and it made me laugh that he was let back in.  Plebes have a no re-entry rule!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, mojoween said:

No, he does it when he’s pissed at the umps.  This is the third time he’s done it.

Thanks for clearing that up. I had never seen him do that before.

1 hour ago, Crs97 said:

The Tribe have been furious with the umps as well.  I lost count of how many strikes we threw that were called balls.  If it were a drinking game we’d all be dead.

I know, and it's not fair. You're not kidding about the drinking game.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mojoween said:

No, he does it when he’s pissed at the umps.  This is the third time he’s done it.

The umps have been wildly inconsistent calling balls and strikes all season and not just this series and not just against the Yanks.  The Yankees have been very consistent in whining and complaining and throwing tantrums over it during this series,  however.  I really cannot think of any other team that argues the calls so often nor one that gets so much leeway from the umps.  The fact that several Yankees hung out on the field carrying on like toddlers for many minutes even after they'd been tossed out last night indicates how much indulgence is given to them by the umps.  Had the Indians done such a thing, they'd have been run out of there so fast, their heads would've spun. 

Watching the game on TV made it clear just how inconsistent the calls were and all the more frustrating and exhausting to watch

Edited by doodlebug
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, ebk57 said:

Jack White was in the house before his show down the street at The Anthem!  And then I found out a more fun thing - the game went on so long, Jack came back after his show down the street at The Anthem!

Fun Jack White facts: 1) He took 'White' as a surname when he married Meg. His maiden name is Gillis. 2) He's joined forces with Jack Black to form a new musical act: Jack Grey. 

• Like 1