Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Petulance aside, I am sure Carlos Rodon is a lovely man.  He seems to love his wife and Marcus Stroman seems to really like him.

But oh my god whatever Brian Cashman thinks he had when he signed his injured ass, he doesn’t.

• Sad 1
4 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

N/M link didn't work. A batboy's quick reflexes saved Shohei from getting a foul ball in the face, then gives Shohei the ball. 

Is this what you were going for?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
(edited)

Hamstrings (and groins) are dumb

Harper is the third Phillie to miss time with a hamstring this season and on the same night it was announced he was the top voter getter in the NL and was the starting 1st baseman. 

Edited by shoregirl
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 1
1 hour ago, shoregirl said:

Hamstrings (and groins) are dumb

Harper is the third Phillie to miss time with a hamstring this season and on the same night it was announced he was the top voter getter in the NL and was the starting 1st baseman. 

Does look like we might have dodged a bullet it did not look good for Harp last night when it happened.

And if I had a nickel for each time I said groins(boys) are dumb in my 20's.....

To add to the above, I found out today that the Cardinals are paying Matt Holliday $1.5M this year, and every year though 2029. A man whose *child* played in the majors this year. 🤣 (He was a young dad, so he sounds older than he is, but it's still funny.)

No wonder he always comes back for Opening Day. We're still paying him! LOL

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

Bryce Harper and Aaron Judge are both back- to-back players of the month..Both are the top vote getters in the AL and NL and ( if Harper is healthy) be Starters in the All Star game

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, Jane Tuesday said:

This was such a sweet moment. 

It was awesome watching that last night. Schwarber is such a good clubhouse guy. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

What in the holy hand grenade is this wretched atrocity?

I know! And not only are they ugly, they also look very cheesy in quality. 

• Like 3

By default the National League looks better (also like a Marlins uniform) but it's still bad. What was so wrong with everyone wearing their own teams jerseys besides the obvious money grab?

• Like 6

Do that many people really buy All-Star jerseys? They'd still have an ASG cap and logo to put on all kinds of other merchandise. 

I guess I'm cheap but no damned way I'm paying that much money for what's essentially a shirt from a one-time event.

• Like 5
(edited)

“Not fan interference”  

IMG_4311.jpeg.68fc4b9f12b01fded987f6f95cf1e021.jpeg

I’m taking my trebuchet to the Grand Canyon, sticking MLB replay inside, and then I’m gonna let Cole Ragans release the kraken.

Edited by voiceover
19 hours ago, Jane Tuesday said:

Do that many people really buy All-Star jerseys? They'd still have an ASG cap and logo to put on all kinds of other merchandise. 

I guess I'm cheap but no damned way I'm paying that much money for what's essentially a shirt from a one-time event.

I guess I'm going to have to settle for being the cheapest, but I wouldn't spend a penny on a jersey, period.  Let alone one for the all star game and ones that sort of look anything but pretty.

To each their own, but I'd rather stick with a nice shirt and/or hat that promotes a team or event.  Even the colors without the logo is fine for me

• Like 1

No matter how many runs the As score, it only counts as one loss.

I keep telling myself this.  It's not helping.

• Hugs 5
20 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

No matter how many runs the As score, it only counts as one loss.

I keep telling myself this.  It's not helping.

It helps me.  Plus, if you're going to lose, let the other team get their full allotment of runs in one game.  Now they won't get any tomorrow.

Don't try to tell me my theory isn't based on logic.  It's my theory, my logic, my rationalization.

• Like 3
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 1
21 hours ago, Johannah said:

It helps me.  Plus, if you're going to lose, let the other team get their full allotment of runs in one game.  Now they won't get any tomorrow.

Don't try to tell me my theory isn't based on logic.  It's my theory, my logic, my rationalization.

Well, the poor A's scored a week's worth of runs yesterday, so they won't score any more until mid week. Have beating a pathetic, bottom feeding team trying to make the best out of an otherwise shitty situation. 😢

16 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Well, the poor A's scored a week's worth of runs yesterday, so they won't score any more until mid week. Have beating a pathetic, bottom feeding team trying to make the best out of an otherwise shitty situation. 😢

So....  One team is not supposed to try to beat another team if they are having a rough season?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your last sentence.  

And it wasn't that long ago that the Orioles were that "bottom feeding" team.

The A's are having more than one tough year. Their owner, heir to the Gap/Old Navy fortunes, is refusing to pay for anything (including decent players), so the team is barely afloat. They're moving to a bandbox in Sacramento after this season and won't even have a city on their uniforms. Vegas is stalling regarding building a stadium the owner refused to kick in for, so they might not even have a forever home. It's just a mess. It's tough watching a proud franchise implode.

So yeah, I wish that people would have a heart. ❤️ The players are caught in the middle, and with little talent, are doing their best, which isn't very good, unfortunately. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

The A's are having more than one tough year. Their owner, heir to the Gap/Old Navy fortunes, is refusing to pay for anything (including decent players), so the team is barely afloat. They're moving to a bandbox in Sacramento after this season and won't even have a city on their uniforms. Vegas is stalling regarding building a stadium the owner refused to kick in for, so they might not even have a forever home. It's just a mess. It's tough watching a proud franchise implode.

So yeah, I wish that people would have a heart. ❤️ The players are caught in the middle, and with little talent, are doing their best, which isn't very good, unfortunately. 

Sounds a little like the Orioles' woes before the new ownership.  Now we are hopeful for owners that actually care about the team.  I hope things turn around for your team and fanbase.

However, I'm not sure how my statement was derogatory.  I meant it as a general statement:  that a loss, no matter the score, is still just one loss, and that I generally hope that when the opposing team, no matter who they are, has used up their "allotted" runs (even though I know there is no such thing).

I feel bad for any struggling team and their fans, but that doesn't mean I want my team to lose to them, just like other fans wanted their team to beat the Orioles when they were struggling, and that is understandable.

• Like 1

Hi all...what happened to the "Moneyball" approach (as in the Brad Pitt movie)?
In the movie, Oakland was pursuing a radical approach of using cold statistics to identify players who could add up to a winning team.

Answer: Richer teams did that approach too and became more efficient.

Some richer teams overdid that approach/took the wrong lessons but that's another story.

In some periods since the movie, A's have been decent/outpunching their weight, but not now. They were in the playoffs as recently as 2018-2020 for three straight seasons.

A's are currently owned by a cartoon villain who wants another city to build him a stadium, is willing to crash the team to achieve it. Will end up with the team playing in a minor league stadium in Sacramento for a while. Please correct if I have anything wrong.

• Sad 2
  • Useful 1
55 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

Answer: Richer teams did that approach too and became more efficient.

Some richer teams overdid that approach/took the wrong lessons but that's another story.

In some periods since the movie, A's have been decent/outpunching their weight, but not now. They were in the playoffs as recently as 2018-2020 for three straight seasons.

A's are currently owned by a cartoon villain who wants another city to build him a stadium, is willing to crash the team to achieve it. Will end up with the team playing in a minor league stadium in Sacramento for a while. Please correct if I have anything wrong.

You got it right. A pathetic tale. 

• Sad 1

In a season with some truly terrible balls and strikes performances I want to call out Derek Thomas; who maybe missed a handful of close pitches, tops.

He was so good in the Phillies/Dodgers game last night I actually Googled him.

Well done, Derek!

• Like 5

OK...here's another question:
I watch games on TV.  The TV shows a little box which is supposed to define the strike zone. The left and rights sides appear to be accurate. But the top line seems to be drawn low.
I thought the strike zone was from the knees up to the letters. But the top line seems to be quite a bit lower than the letters.
Is this just the camera angle, or is the strike zone really that small?

12 hours ago, grommit2 said:

OK...here's another question:
I watch games on TV.  The TV shows a little box which is supposed to define the strike zone. The left and rights sides appear to be accurate. But the top line seems to be drawn low.
I thought the strike zone was from the knees up to the letters. But the top line seems to be quite a bit lower than the letters.
Is this just the camera angle, or is the strike zone really that small?

"The official strike zone is the area over home plate from the midpoint between a batter's shoulders and the top of the uniform pants -- when the batter is in his stance and prepared to swing at a pitched ball -- and a point just below the kneecap. In order to get a strike call, part of the ball must cross over part of home plate while in the aforementioned area."

So the official top of the zone is probably a bit above the "belly".

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1

Congratulations to late-additions Anthony Santander and Jordan Westburg joining their Oriole teammates Adley Rutschman, Gunnar Henderson and Corbin Burnes in the All-Star game!  Go Orioles!

Of course, we'll overlook the fact that they are currently being swept by the Cubs...

• Like 2

JD Davis is going on the IL.  At what point does this change from “wow that’s some bad luck” to “Brian Cashman is just not good at his job”?

• Applause 1
10 minutes ago, mojoween said:

"Brian Cashman is just not good at his job”?

This particular part of your correct analysis has never been untrue.

I've been restraining myself from posting--as I often have in the past--"Fire Brian Cashman," for several weeks already. 

• Fire 2
(edited)

Can I interest anyone in a 35 year old utility former all-star?? Because one just became available 

Spoiler
Spoiler

He is only hitting .199 and has generally not been very good but also wasn't playing everyday both because he wasnt playing well and others were playing to well to sit them even when Trea Turner went down

Edited by shoregirl
  • Mind Blown 2
(edited)

This series, in July, is the last time this regular season that the Yankees will be in Baltimore.

Interleague play is DUMB.

Edited by mojoween
  • Like 4