Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

I don't root for the Yankees but the one time I do they keep losing to the Cardinals . Come on man.🙄😂

Luke Voit may murder Hosmer the next time he sees him. How much does it suck to be on a contending team who just got one of the best players in baseball then be told one guy wouldnt waive his no trade clause (which is his right and I don't blame him because the Nationals are terrible) so they are sending you to the worst team in the league.

Edited by shoregirl
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, shoregirl said:

Luke Voit may murder Hosmer the next time he sees him. How much does it suck to be on a contending team who just got one of the best players in baseball then be told one guy wouldnt waive his no trade clause (which is his right and I don't blame him because the Nationals are terrible) so they are sending you to the worst team in the league.

Sucks, but that's how the business goes. Voit has two arbitration years left before he can hit unrestricted free agency, so it's up to him if he wants to help or hinder the Nats' rebuilding process.

Reminds me of NHLer Mike Gartner. He never won the Stanley Cup in his career despite making it to the Hall of Fame, with the closest he ever got to it was that he was on the 1993-94 New York Rangers team that eventually won the Cup. The only reason Gartner didn't was because he was traded at the deadline to the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Not quite going from the Padres to the Nats, but close.

On 8/6/2022 at 7:18 PM, cleo said:

Blue Jays are doing a sitcom theme night and they chose to do Friends, a sitcom set in New York from the 90s. 

Could that be any more illogical? 

Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

I think they're trying to get the geriatric Millennial fanbase i.e. me.  If it was before COVID I'd walk right over there and get one of those shirts.  "Friends" is my favourite.  

• Love 1

Dodgers sweep the Padres in a big series, the Dodgers are playing dominant baseball right now. And the Mets take 4 of 5 against the Braves in another big series, they are also looking great.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

And the Mets take 4 of 5 against the Braves in another big series, they are also looking great.

Saw a few bits of that. I think Buck took deGrom out of the game after giving up the homer not because of health concerns, but rather because he knew the next ball getting hit would get him flush in the face.

Twelve strikeouts in 5 2/3 innings, and he was perfect before the walk and the home run. I'm still waiting for that other shoe to drop, though. Hopefully, it won't happen on Wednesday. I gotta remember to find another bag, because they don't allow backpacks into Citi Field.

ETA: They have the same record as the Yankees! Of course, they're behind the Dodgers, Just to verify . . . top two teams in each league get a bye into the LDS, right?

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

If it was before COVID I'd walk right over there and get one of those shirts.  "Friends" is my favourite.  

Well I'm sorry you can't get a shirt.....but if they were going to promote a show, I guess I would prefer they pick a Canadian show. I mean they could probably have gotten Eugene Levy to come to the game.

Also Blue Jays twitter was telling fans to tweet Matthew Perry and I was like a) what shape is Perry in these days and b) why should a bunch of Jays fans start tweeting him?

Honestly I find it really weird and kind of cringey- esp asking fans to tweet Perry. Like I have nothing against Friends (except Seinfeld is better heh) but it just doesn't really seem to fit the context.

And I think it was a Jays organization decision, not MLB but that is just my guess. I suppose someone there is a fan. 

Weird Friends/baseball fact- I heard Aaron Boone on a podcast last year or the year before and he said he watched Friends almost every night to unwind. I wonder if he still does.

Edited by cleo
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

ETA: They have the same record as the Yankees! Of course, they're behind the Dodgers, Just to verify . . . top two teams in each league get a bye into the LDS, right?

That's right.  Speaking of that, the only thing I'm not a fan of is the LDS structure as it relates to seeding.  In other words, there isn't any; the six place team should have to face the team with the league's best record

5 hours ago, cleo said:

Weird Friends/baseball fact- I heard Aaron Boone on a podcast last year or the year before and he said he watched Friends almost every night to unwind. I wonder if he still does.

What about this?  He's Canadian  remember :)   But yes, it was very cringey because I don't think Matthew Perry ended up having anything to do with the day.  Did he?  The Jays account even implied he might even throw first pitch but I think that was a lie because I cannot find anything about it.

Every episode of Friends that featured a Blue Jays cap in the background

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/friends-tv-blue-jays-cap-background

Cs2Nfw9WYAAgDeO.jpeg

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

Interesting, I never noticed a Jays hat. That is pretty obscure though.

No I honestly don't think Matthew Perry had anything to do with it or endorsed it, I think the administration account  was joking. 

I mean Simu Liu was actually here and threw a pitch, they could have promoted Kim's Convenience.

Anyway it's just not my thing, but it makes slightly more sense now at least.

38 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Oh Matt Carpenter nooooooooooo.  How awful for him.

Yeah, ouch. I dropped an unopened bottle of Coke on my toe next to the big one (striking it with the cap, no less) and it's still hurting.

I can't imagine what he's feeling right now.

• Sad 1
9 hours ago, mojoween said:

Why did it take Reggie Jackson 13 years to get voted into the Hall of Fame?

Which HOF are you talking about?  He was elected on the first ballot, which is pretty good for a guy who tried to kill the queen.

• LOL 6
53 minutes ago, cambridgeguy said:

Which HOF are you talking about?  He was elected on the first ballot, which is pretty good for a guy who tried to kill the queen.

Oh I think I know what happened.  When I was watching “The Captain” the chyron said Reggie was with the Yankees until 1981 and a Hall of Famer in 1994, and it didn’t even occur to me until just now that the Yankees weren’t his last team.  So I was thinking that he was on the ballot from 1981 (1986, really, which I didn’t think about THAT, either) to 1994.

People should really just play for one team sheesh.

• LOL 4
2 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

Not that Reggie Jackson comes up in my day to day conversation very often, but the next time he does, I'm absolutely working in "which is pretty good for a guy who tried to kill the queen."  LOL.

The Naked Gun Reaction GIF

• LOL 6

Heading home. I forgot my MetroCard when I left home, the seat was high up, and I forgot to use a voucher for my first round of food. I am tired and sweaty. But y’know what? Today was a good day. I think the biggest thing I missed out on was the trumpets blaring for Edwin Diaz . . . but screw it, he needs a break.

• Love 3

For obvious reasons I was excited for last year’s Field of Dreams game (even if the ending was a complete travesty) but I’m not really feeling it this year.

I am actually more inclined to watch the Giants preseason (NFL) or a Yankees Classic that the episode guide says “Two Aarons win it in the ninth” which yes please.

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, mojoween said:

For obvious reasons I was excited for last year’s Field of Dreams game (even if the ending was a complete travesty) but I’m not really feeling it this year.

I am actually more inclined to watch the Giants preseason (NFL) or a Yankees Classic that the episode guide says “Two Aarons win it in the ninth” which yes please.

I find the whole “Field of Dreams” game to be stupid - the whole point of it is schmaltzy, sentimental, sappy dreck, blah. And the 2 teams in it this year are both awful and not in the playoff race, so it’s not interesting to anyone aside from Reds and Cubs fans.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

I find the whole “Field of Dreams” game to be stupid - the whole point of it is schmaltzy, sentimental, sappy dreck, blah.

I was moderately interested in it last year, until I realized it wasn't being played on the actual "Field of Dreams" but rather on some new ballpark built nearby. I guess they built it, and they came, but still...

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

I find the whole “Field of Dreams” game to be stupid - the whole point of it is schmaltzy, sentimental, sappy dreck, blah. 

The biggest problem I have with it is that it evokes nostalgia for an era where the game was still segregated. James Earl Jones' speech about it "reminds us of all that was good" is embarrassing. 

• Love 6
Just now, xaxat said:

The biggest problem I have with it is that it evokes nostalgia for an era where the game was still segregated. James Earl Jones' speech about it "reminds us of all that was good" is embarrassing. 

Good point. I just find the whole thing to be cringeworthy and full of schmaltz. 

• Love 1

There is a rumour around they are going to have a hologram of some player who has died, I can't remember his name- Harry Caray?

A few people are hoping a) they will and b) that it will be a train wreck.

I'm not into the whole concept either. 

1 hour ago, cleo said:

There is a rumour around they are going to have a hologram of some player who has died, I can't remember his name- Harry Caray?

Yes, the rumor is there will be a hologram of Harry Caray during the 7th inning stretch. Caray was a long-time baseball announcer, spending over 50 years with a number of teams, including 15 years with the Cubs before his death in 1997. He was best know for leading the stadium crowd in a rendition of "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" during the 7th inning stretch.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Moose135 said:

Yes, the rumor is there will be a hologram of Harry Caray during the 7th inning stretch. Caray was a long-time baseball announcer, spending over 50 years with a number of teams, including 15 years with the Cubs before his death in 1997. He was best know for leading the stadium crowd in a rendition of "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" during the 7th inning stretch.

Ah... that's what the tweet I saw saying it looked like Larry Bud Melman was about... thanks 

• Love 2

I am so incredibly disappointed in him. He has so much raw talent, but he seems to be missing maturity and his brains lately. Thank goodness the team got Soto, Bell, and Drury, but I can't imagine this is good for morale right now. 

Dumbass, indeed.

Edited by CrazyDog
  • Love 3
Just now, CrazyDog said:

I am so incredibly disappointed in him. He does have raw talent, but he seems to be missing maturity and his brains lately. Thank goodness the team got Soto, Bell, and Drury, but I can't imagine this is good for morale right now. 

Dumbass, indeed.

It’s disappointing as a baseball fan, I was looking forward to seeing a Padres team with Soto, Machado, Bell and Tatis right in the middle of the lineup. I always hate when star players get injured or suspended. And yeah it has to be demoralizing for the Padres.

• Love 6
30 minutes ago, Danielg342 said:

ETA- I think this too deserves a "holy cow!"

On one hand, it doesn't because this type of stuff is "not unprecedented" within the sports world.  Sad?  Sure, but there is precedent here.

On the other hand, I guess so.  Tatis ins't appealing.  He messed up and is accepting responsibility.  Maybe the suspension length and/or money he has might offset things, but you usually see players fight discipline, with most of them losing

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Carey said:

On one hand, it doesn't because this type of stuff is "not unprecedented" within the sports world.  Sad?  Sure, but there is precedent here.

On the other hand, I guess so.  Tatis ins't appealing.  He messed up and is accepting responsibility.  Maybe the suspension length and/or money he has might offset things, but you usually see players fight discipline, with most of them losing

Any time a major player has to miss significant time for any reason is a pretty big deal, even if it isn't unprecedented. Especially for a violation as big as performance enhancing drugs.

On one hand, I do like Tatis has taken accountability and accepted responsibility for his mistake. On the other hand, this is a pretty big mistake to make. I understand it can be hard to stay on top of all the drugs that are banned by Major League Baseball as well as ensure they're not included within a treatment program, but players should know by now the consequences for not vetting your treatments are massive.

So, while I accept Tatis' apology, he really should have known and done better.

• Love 2

I dont believe his story. That's what they all say. I have zero respect for him a) taking PEDS and then b) lying about it. 

He had everything and threw it away. JMO.

Remember Colabello? Same BS. 

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, cleo said:

I dont believe his story. That's what they all say. I have zero respect for him a) taking PEDS and then b) lying about it. 

He had everything and threw it away. JMO.

Remember Colabello? Same BS. 

I have major doubts about his story as well. He’s avoiding responsibility, which is exactly what I’ve come to expect in these situations sadly.

There is no way a steroid is used to treat a fungal skin infection because steroids make it worse. He’s lying out of his ass. He was injured last year as well and came back hitting the ball very hard. It took Bellinger a year after his injury to hit like he used to, yet Tatis didn’t miss a beat. 

• Fire 1
  • Love 5

In a sport and an era where you'd be left with nothing due to injury, I guess one cannot blame an athlete "cheating" to get back ASAP.  Getting replaced by someone younger & healthier isn't new.  That said, PEDs is not the answer.  Find another way to get well faster.  Or be a legit legend before you get hurt

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Carey said:

In a sport and an era where you'd be left with nothing due to injury, I guess one cannot blame an athlete "cheating" to get back ASAP. 

Fernando Tatis signed a 14 year, 340 million dollar contract in 2021.  I'd say being worried about losing out on a big payday wasn't a factor here.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

Fernando Tatis signed a 14 year, 340 million dollar contract in 2021.  I'd say being worried about losing out on a big payday wasn't a factor here.

It makes no sense.  I can't get over it!

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Hey, .210 is good for Bellinger. Before his recent hot streak, he was well below the Mendoza line. 

The Dodgers are red hot all around right now - they’ve won 12 in a row and have only lost 3 games since the All Star Break. Just about every player on their team is hot. 

• Love 1