Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Official rule book of baseball:

1.01 Baseball is a game between two teams of nine players each, under direction of a manager, played on an enclosed field in accordance with these rules, under jurisdiction of one or more umpires. (Emphasis mine)

The American League, while playing a fascinating game that looks very familiar, is by definition not playing baseball.

• Love 9

I grew up in a national league market and hated the DH. Now I live in an american league market and find I don’t really care one way or the other, but I do think it’s hilarious that they’ve never amended that definition. I copied that from MLB’s 2018 edition of Official Baseball Rules. You would think at some point, someone might raise his or her hand and say, “Hey, guys?“

• Love 2

I find the NL games more interesting than the AL, part of this is because of the pitchers batting. Part of it is there seems to be more base-running in general. I admit I find the games where it is primarily strike outs or homers getting boring. And this is from someone who does analyze and enjoy pitching, but every game starts to seem the same. Not sure what they can do about it though. 

The AL does seem better players though- I expect the World Series to go pretty much the way the All-Star game went, even with Machado switching allegiances. 

• Love 1

The NL version drives me bonkers because a pitcher can be dealing, but getting no run support, so he gets pulled for a pinch hitter.  I mean, we can go a half inning with four pitching changes.

Although, Tampa Bay inexplicably does that too.

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, jennifer6973 said:

I love pitchers who can hit.  I love when enjoy stealing bases and getting dirty also.  

Me too, and no pitcher stole or slid into bases better than former Red Norm Charlton.  He may have been an ass but he ran the bases well.

• Love 1
(edited)

Mets Fan: *sigh* My team is fighting to keep in fourth place, they're going to the Bronx for a potential curb-stomping, and Aaron Boone will probably invade the visitor's clubhouse to inspect would-be Yankees. I need good news.

The World: Well, how about the Mets winning tonight?

Mets Fan: Yeah, after almost blowing a five-run lead. Nothing's more obnoxious that a Yankees fan ready for the kill.

The World: Oh, Colbert did a thing with the Mets!

Mets Fan: Gaaaaaahhh!!!

The World: No, no!!! He went to Citi Field and had fun with them. Totally didn't rip on them!!

Mets Fan: That's nice. Wait . . . he went to Citi Field?!? How did he leave without injury?

The World: . . . .hey, two more Subway Series games left!!!

ETA: Here’s the clip. Ever want to see happy Mets? Here ya go!

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2

Interleague is played out and I don't care about it. Maybe just the obvious rivalries like NY, Chi, LA, SF if that could even work. DH is king, y'all. Ron Blomberg the First DH so really, it's Yankees Lore. lol. In theory MLB players may hate the DH but when they are at the end of their careers but can still kill a ball they will have a better chance to keep playing if all teams had DHs. No DH would have meant no Edgar. That would be sad.

And can they just attempt to have pitchers learn how to bunt? In the right situation a pitcher can make something happen rather than sriking out or beingremoved.

44 minutes ago, prican58 said:

And can they just attempt to have pitchers learn how to bunt? In the right situation a pitcher can make something happen rather than sriking out or beingremoved.

I am amazed at the number of major leaguers who seem to have no idea how to bunt, but I have seen little league coaches who make clear that bunting is only for kids who can’t hit at all.  Husband as assistant coach fights a losing battle each year trying to teach the fundamentals.

• Love 4

Yeah, Crs97. Bunting is a tool that you bring out when you need to fix something. Phil Rizzuto may not have been a great hitter being that he played in an age when SSs were singles hitters for the most part but he was an excellent bunter and even served as an instructor of it in some Spring Training sessions. 

(edited)

Right?  Because anything can happen at any moment.

I’m currently watching Game 5 of the 2000 WS (as you do) and Joe Buck mentioned that Jeter at this point had been in 19 WS games at the age of 26.  So doing a little spotty math, that means, by age 35, he had been in at least 30 (because I think 2001 went seven games (SOB) and I can’t remember how many 2009 went, but obvs at least four).

I find that crazy.  Is there anyone in history that can match that?  Maybe Yogi?  Will anyone get there again?

Also crazy?  Al Leiter threw 150+ pitches.

Edited by mojoween
22 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Apologies for not paying attention . . . who roots for the A’s here? They got Familia from the Mets.

I never really hate the A's because I was a huge fan of those 70s teams with Reggie, Rudi, Bando and Blue (Yanks sucked back then and I had to root for somebody) and I loved it when they beat the Mets in the WS. So I hope he does well as the A's are playing good ball. 

It didn't rain all day here in NY but right now it's 7:21 pm and the rain is falling. I really don't want another rain out..

That bit Colbert did with the Mets is hilarious. But I have to say, he seems like a nice enough guy, but this proves that Blevins is a better actor than he is a pitcher. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, smittykins said:

Aaaand, another rainout.  Yay.

I was ok with it as I was at a Marilyn Manson concert missing the game, heh.

12 hours ago, Harry24 said:

When I clicked on this link and saw the headline I reflexively checked to see if the url was for The Onion.

Right?!?  I thought there was going to be a “gotcha, this is satire” at the end.  So are they checking to see if any of the kids at camp are contagious to others or sick themselves?

I can see that fucking the Mets. “Gosh, we would love to get a stud from you for prospects, but we’re scared you might screw us the way European types screwed the native tribes.”

• Love 1

It'll be 2 years on August 1st :( He came up through the Giants farm system and was an immensely popular and integral part of the team in so many ways, so I think it'll be awhile before he stops being referred to as a former Giant. And maybe by the time that day comes around, he'll somehow end up back on the team he belongs on. :)

• Love 1
(edited)

I mean, Suzyn Waldman said in Gary’s FIRST appearance on the field after coming off the DL that he didn’t look right.    Like he was on the field for minutes and she thought he looked slower.  And she’s a radio announcer!

So I was startled to see the crazy reaction to what happened last night, especially when to my untrained eyes, after the passed ball, that he DID look like something was wrong.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1
(edited)

I think Gary needs a catching guru, like when Seve sought out Pedro. Maybe the Molinas or Alomar Jr are available. They were kind of large guys when they played so perhaps they could coach him a bit in the off season.

Edited by prican58

Ok so this is great, Sonny Gray only has to go three innings and then they can bring in Warren, Green, Robertson, Betances, Britton and Chapman.

When they said the O’s got prospects in return I was so scared it was going to say one of them was Sheffield.

It is odd that they got a closer, when they have a ‘pen full of closers, just to keep him from Houston.

• Love 1