Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

20 minutes ago, rcc said:

What is the significance of that?

The American flag. Blue sock with stars on the right leg, red and white striped sock on the left leg - so that when you're looking at the players as they face you, it resembles the flag.

1 hour ago, kariyaki said:

The American flag. Blue sock with stars on the right leg, red and white striped sock on the left leg - so that when you're looking at the players as they face you, it resembles the flag.

Thank you. Of course. I should have known that.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

One guy in the stands in Oakland caught three foul balls today, including two on consecutive pitches.

Luck or sparse attendance? I regret not going to Montreal in the Expos' twilight years. I wouldn't be guaranteed to get a foul ball, but the odds would've been a lot better.

1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Luck or sparse attendance? I regret not going to Montreal in the Expos' twilight years. I wouldn't be guaranteed to get a foul ball, but the odds would've been a lot better.

Luck.  The attendance was pretty good for a Sunday afternoon.

7 hours ago, rcc said:

What is the significance of that?

The layout of the US flag.

• Love 1

It goes a little bit deeper than the look. In US flag etiquette, the flag should be displayed with the blue field/stars on the left for the viewer. (Think of all the times the NFL runs out one of their huge flags.) That's the look all of the players had.

On the other hand, the embroidered flag insignia US teams wear on their shoulders have the blue field/stars on the right side. In accordance with military convention.

37 minutes ago, xaxat said:

On the other hand, the embroidered flag insignia US teams wear on their shoulders have the blue field/stars on the right side. In accordance with military convention.

Because if you're displaying the flag in that manner, the star field should always be forward. So if it's on the right sleeve, it'll look backwards. 

• Love 1
On 7/2/2017 at 2:03 PM, prican58 said:

I was watching a bit of the Mets/Phils yesterday and Lucas Duda impressed the hell out of me playing 1B. Seriously! Is he generally pretty good? He's no Tex but.... 

He is incredibly streaky both offensively and defensively.

• Love 1

So people can flee the downtown area before it gets crazy.

I know I'd appreciate that if ever I was foolish enough to actually attend anything downtown on July 4th.

2 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

What is the rationale behind starting a game at 11 a.m.? I get Patriot's Day in Boston, but why Washington?

So the baseball game doesn't compete with the fireworks.  And all the tourists on the mall.

Basically the reason I never went downtown on the 4th of July, too many people.

• Love 1
On 7/3/2017 at 9:58 AM, kariyaki said:

I thought it was funny that the Toronto Blue Jays were wearing them too.

• Love 2
(edited)
17 hours ago, attica said:

Am I the only person who thinks that @rallymantis's post is some oblique reference to Mike Mussina? I had to check to make sure he hadn't come to any harm!

Let me introduce myself to the East Coasters.  I'm a Kansas City Royals fan.  

This is our version of the bat signal for Mike Moustakas; nickname, "Moose".   Our 3rd baseman, Homerun Derby participant, also in the Final Five All-Star vote-off.

#votemoose

16 hours ago, theatremouse said:

[Lucas Duda] is incredibly streaky both offensively and defensively.

We've got a statue of his Game 5 throw to home in the Royals Hall of Fame.

Edited by rallymantis
#votemoose
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, attica said:

Am I the only person who thinks that @rallymantis's post is some oblique reference to Mike Mussina? I had to check to make sure he hadn't come to any harm!

I think it's a reference to Mike Moustakas as isn't Rallymantis a Royals fan?

ETA:  Obviously I missed the post directly above this one where my moose theory was confirmed!

• Love 2

I'm on vacation next week and we're going to be taking day trips around the Adirondacks, Catskills, Finger Lakes and Mohawk River (NY is a big state and we live smack in the middle and I'm tired already) and I told the hubs that no matter what we do, we WILL be home Monday night to watch the Derby.

• Love 1

I'm in your area about every third weekend because Sauder's has the best apples that stay the freshest.  We don't have a specific destination in mind, we are going to travel around all of the lakes and stop wherever looks good like Farmer's Markets, restaurants, etc.

On an unrelated note, DAMMIT Dellin!

• Love 1

On an unrelated note, DAMMIT Dellin!

True dat, mojo! 

Boy this is really turning into the biggest free fall I've seen for the NYY. The pen just can't get it done! It's unbelievable. Parcells said, You are what your record says you are. Record is actually good but they are just hog tied by the pen. 

I've heard that Chapman's ineffectiveness lately may be an after effect of Madden's use of him in the WS. Abused is a word I have heard (ironic, isn't it?). I didn't watch so I don't know.

10 hours ago, attica said:

Thank you for updating me on things baseballmoose! As my mother used to say, She Who Lives Must Learn!

I don't think it happens much anymore, but there was a time, other teams' announcers would be shocked that Royals fans appeared to be booing their 3rd baseman.

Nah.

"Moooooooooose!!!"

One guy had giant antlers attached to his Jeep.  The Moosemobile.

2 hours ago, prican58 said:

I've heard that Chapman's ineffectiveness lately may be an after effect of Madden's use of him in the WS. Abused is a word I have heard (ironic, isn't it?). I didn't watch so I don't know.

Welllll, at the time, with all those innings, it was...mentioned.  And, of course, Chapman was a rent-a-player, so why would his manager be *as concerned*.

*ducks flying objects*

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Mets/Nationals got rained out. That counts as a win for the Mets, right?

Hey, at least no one else wound up on the DL. . . 

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Hey, at least no one else wound up on the DL. . . 

Yeah, because there's no such thing as an automatic tarp anymore.

Seriously, Yankees fans . . . be careful about Judge. I remember when Dwight Gooden exploded onto the scene in 1984, striking out 276 and spearheading the Mets' rise to prominence. He followed that up with a 24-4 record and a Cy Young Award at the age of 20. Then his numbers dipped, and nobody knew why. And then he tested positive for cocaine. I know, legendary Yankees don't pay as high a price for glory as Mets, but anything can happen. I mean, hasn't the Home Run Derby been proven to decrease dingers in the regular season? I'm not trying to hate . . .. but the kid is aiming for a Triple Crown in his motherfucking rookie year. That ain't right on any team.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, rallymantis said:

I don't think it happens much anymore, but there was a time, other teams' announcers would be shocked that Royals fans appeared to be booing their 3rd baseman.

Nah.

"Moooooooooose!!!"

This is pretty typical for any player that has an "ooooooo" sound to their name. I've heard it for Albert Pujols and Nelson Cruz.

7 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I mean, hasn't the Home Run Derby been proven to decrease dingers in the regular season?

You'll notice that none of the Astros are doing the HR Derby, pretty much for that reason. We have bigger fish to fry.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

hasn't the Home Run Derby been proven to decrease dingers in the regular season?

There's a degree of correlation, but that's not the same thing as causation. It'd be like suggesting batting practice is bad for your swing. Now, sure, the HRD is a higher stakes thing than practice, but the pitcher ain't tryin' to get you out.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 6/30/2017 at 7:17 PM, kariyaki said:

Less than an hour til Astros and Yankees! See you on the other side @mojoween!

Tonight is the beginning of a 4 game series between Astros and Blue Jays.  I'm not looking forward to you guys kicking our asses.

Edited:  Altuve IS super cute though.  I'm pretty sure we all love him here.

There's this Astros Twitter account (not the official one) that is always saying immensely nice things about the Blue Jays, probably because we both hate the Rangers.  I think it's @AstrosRants on Twitter.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Tonight is the beginning of a 4 game series between Astros and Blue Jays.  I'm not looking forward to you guys kicking our asses.

The Astros just completely obliterated my Braves and scored double digits in every game, I think.  Perhaps they've used up their allotment of runs for the rest of the week and you guys will stand a chance.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

The Astros just completely obliterated my Braves and scored double digits in every game, I think.  Perhaps they've used up their allotment of runs for the rest of the week and you guys will stand a chance.

I wouldn't count on that...

I had fun watching the Braves games just because watching the Astros pitchers Brad Peacock and Chris Devenski dealing with batting and baserunning was hilarious. As they've come up in the American League, neither of them had ever had an at bat. Devo could not stop smiling while he was swinging away at the plate and Peacock almost got run over by George Springer as they both were running for home plate.

(edited)

I'd like to thank @Twins and @Tigers for their #Midwest4Life rejection of the Yankees' attempt to siphon votes today.

13 hours ago, kariyaki said:

This is pretty typical for any player that has an "ooooooo" sound to their name. I've heard it for Albert Pujols and Nelson Cruz.

Yeah, but we don't give a rat's ass about them.

I was referring to when #8 is on the field.  Announcers don't make that mistake much anymore when *Moustakas* is the player involved.

But what a lot of sweet stories my initial comment has engendered.

Edited by rallymantis
Should have said "rat's ass" to begin with
  • Love 1

Yeah, pretty much any time I watch a game on television and there's a player on the opposing team with an "ooo" name the announcers at some point say "by the way the crowd is not booing, they're saying <whatever ooo nickname applies>".

9 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

I remember the "ooooo" in the early 80's for Astros player Jose Cruz.  It has been going on for a long time.

They STILL do it. José Cruz shows up to games for personal appearances a couple times a season.

• Love 2

There was a tight end for the Steelers named Heath...Something and for some reason he always got the "ooooo" whenever he touched the ball.

Whenever A-Rod came to bat at opposing ballparks the whole stadium was filled with "oooo's" but they were saying a different word.

• Love 2