Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

https://www.si.com/tech-media/2017/05/29/frank-deford-death-obit-sports-illustrated

Frank Deford has died.  For those of you interested in reading about Ancient Old Baseball History his book on Christy Mathewson, John McGraw, and the New York Giants is a classic and a great read:

https://www.amazon.com/Old-Ball-Game-Mathewson-Baseball/dp/0871138859/ref=la_B000APVZKY_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1496188485&sr=1-8

Not just a book about that team, but a history of baseball culture.

• Love 1

I used to have his book about his daughter Alex's struggle with cystic fibrosis(and the TV movie based on it was one of the first shows I taped when we got a VCR).

RIP, Mr. Deford.

• Love 4

Right?!?  I haven't really seen him outside his commercials so I thought his hair was still short but spiky.  When his helmet came off I was instantly jealous of those luscious locks.

• Love 3

I oddly don't find this (Mr. Met) nearly as offensive as the media appears to want me to? Certainly inappropriate and not surprised that person was fired, but if this is still news tomorrow, priorities are wrong.

• Love 1

Yeah, I had pretty much been wondering if I was really supposed to be aghast at the mascot story. Because I really could not be less offended.

Meanwhile, the Astros finished May at 700. DAMN.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

Am I completely immature for finding it kind of funny?

The best part has been people dissecting whether it is anatomically possible for Mr. Met to give someone the middle finger when he has an even number of digits. 

• Love 13
4 minutes ago, xaxat said:

The best part has been people dissecting whether it is anatomically possible for Mr. Met to give someone the middle finger when he has an even number of digits. 

I'm glad some people still have a sense of humor. What happened at LeBron's house is something to get offended over, not this B.S.

• Love 7
(edited)

Not a big mascot fan but Mr Met is the first one I ever saw back in 1969 or so. Is he the first MLB mascot? I only recently discovered there is a Mrs Met! Also an amusing visual.  

I will confess to absolutely loving that Miller Park Sausage Race in Milwaukee.   It is just such a funny visual. It's always a riot.

Of course as a Yankees fan I feel a bit "above" a team mascot. But do any of the traditional teams like Red Sox, Tigers have them? It sort of feels like those teams are above it as well. I don't want to sound like an elitest, as I'm not. It's like the original NHL franchises. No cutesy stuff. Just Hockey.

Edited by prican58
  • Love 1

At what point will the Mets faithful storm the field and start beating up players? Had to turn off SNY because the game is that damn depressing. I know that the Mets' woes are barely half of Terry's fault, but I wouldn't blame managment if he walked the plank for their sins.

Have any major league mascots acted up like that? I remember the Phillie Phanatic and fans beating the shit out of Charlie Kelly in It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia ("The World Series Defense"), but that wasn't the real deal.

17 hours ago, Moose135 said:

Clearly, you've forgotten about Dandy

Dandy-New-York-Yankees-Mascot-1970s.jpg

Dude, clearly! I seriously do not remember this. One of the stupidest things I've seen.  

7 hours ago, Fukui San said:

The Red Sox introduced Wally the Green Monster maybe a decade ago. 

Is this Wally thing still there? Never heard of it. Of course I hardly ever watch Yanks vs Red Sox games as it's bad for my nerves. 

• Love 1
On 6/3/2017 at 3:46 PM, smittykins said:

Holy home runs, Batman!

Jason Grilli graduated from my high school three years after I did.  Of all the pitchers in all the world he is the one I wish that happened to the absolute least.

However, this chick DOES love the long ball so I can't hate too much on that game getting broken open.  'Specially since after yesterday they went 3-4 on the road trip.

• Love 1

I was at the Mets game and it was weird because the DP was called and the field cleared. God Bless America,The Stretch. Ok. Then I notice Edgin coming back and I thought, hmmm what did I miss? Then they show the replay and I still don't understand. No radio/tv to tell me. Then the P.A. says the challenge was upheld. And as NYM luck would have it Bucs score again. The fans booed heartily when the inning finally did end.

It was extra weird since normally if you're going to challenge they don't leave the field they wait to see if the manager will call for it, and since you have 30 seconds...it's just weird they got that far. Although I guess if the call had held, they'd have shortened the game by having let the stretch music already happen.

I don't think Mets fans have anything to be happy about. The team is spiraling, the young guns keep messing up, and the Marlins have five more no-hitters than them, even though the Mets been around three decades longer. And they have the same number of World Series titles. And the one time a Mets pitcher does accomplish that, not only is it tainted by a ball hitting the baseline, that night basically wrecked Johann Santana's career.

On 2017-06-02 at 8:41 PM, prican58 said:

Not a big mascot fan but Mr Met is the first one I ever saw back in 1969 or so. Is he the first MLB mascot? I only recently discovered there is a Mrs Met! Also an amusing visual. 

There were other mascots before Mr. Met, but he's generally acknowledged as the first costumed mascot.

The ones before him were just guys in unique outfits, but not full costumes, think 'Dancing Homer' from the Simpsons.

Hi guys, I'm in the Louisville area this week for work and after arriving Sunday morning I went to the Louisville Slugger Factory and Museum and it was pretty amazing.  If you ever get a chance to go I recommend it as the factor tour is worth the (very reasonable) price of admission on its own.

If I can swing it I might drive over to Lexington tonight to see the final game in that CWS regional between Kentucky and NC State..  It's about an hour away from where we are and while it's probably not doable I'd like to pretend it is.

• Love 3

Can you give someone a MRI against their will?  Because I want to strap Tanaka down to the machine and make sure that arm is ok.  Otherwise I cannot explain what is going on with him.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

Hi guys, I'm in the Louisville area this week for work and after arriving Sunday morning I went to the Louisville Slugger Factory and Museum and it was pretty amazing.  If you ever get a chance to go I recommend it as the factor tour is worth the (very reasonable) price of admission on its own.

If I can swing it I might drive over to Lexington tonight to see the final game in that CWS regional between Kentucky and NC State..  It's about an hour away from where we are and while it's probably not doable I'd like to pretend it is.

We stopped in Louisville on our drive to see games in St Louis and Kansas City back in 1998.  It's a wonderful place! 

18 hours ago, xaxat said:

did you get a personalized bat? 'Cause, as a name for a bat, MyAimisTrue would rank right up there with Wonder Boy.

Nah, I'm not a natural like Roy Hobbs.  Plus I'd have to get it on an airplane.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, mojoween said:

Mike Schmidt and Jerry Remy sound like real fun guys to hang out with at parties.

What Mike said disappointed me, even though I was an O's fan, I liked to watch him play back in the day.

I kinda sorta agree with Jerry Remy though.

ebk that's gonna end tonight or spontaneous combustion is going to happen and it will end in a tie.

At least that is what I wish would happen when 2 of my favorites play each other or 2 of my leasts play each other.

21 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Who lets themselves get named "Scooter"?? I know that was Phil Rizzuto's nickname, but it's dopey in front of the surname.

It's weird because his name is not Scott. The only real life Scooters I know, the nickname is for Scott. How a Ryan and a Phil end up "Scooter" is wacky.

Although Gennett gets points for Muppets. (Good answer. Good answer.)

When I found a kitten outside my workplace in August 2001, I was very into Creed and so since I did not want to name the kitty Scott, I chose the next best thing and named her Scooter.

Not that anyone cares about that, I just had never heard anyone else change Scott to Scooter.

Anyways.  Why is the third game of a series called the rubber match, does anyone know?