Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Hamstring torn completely off the bone. 

Damn it hamstrings! Get it together! This year seems to be the curse of the hamstring. Hope we can hang in there without him for the next few weeks. I was planning on making a Hunter Pence sign for the Phillies series later this month (I'm attending all three games) and I have right field tickets for one of the games, but he wouldn't be there to see it anyway.) I might have to just stick to a Matt Duffy sign.

• Love 1

I'm just going to quietly throw this out there, because I know it can turn on a dime, trust me, I know, but my team is 38-15!! This has been so much fun this year after so many seasons with this team being done at this point in the year.  Go Cubs!

• Love 3

Found out after the fact that Bartolo Colon got his second hit of the year. Why can't he do this in New York? It might be the first time a guy gets a demand for a curtain call after a single.

The Mets are running a hilarious promo featuring the pitching staff. "The Dark Night", "Thor", Matz, de Grom and. . . "Big Sexy"!

The younger players have action shots of them pitching and fielding. Big Sexy? He's shown shakin' his belly like a bowl full of jelly.

(edited)

I just found out that the Yankees bullpen is apparently nicknamed "No Runs DMC" and I think that is fabulous.  (Regardless of how Dellin shit the bed the other night)

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

xaxat . . . is it available online?

I'm not sure if its an SNY or Mets production, but I couldn't find it on either of their YouTube channels.

My Tribe are in first!  Exciting times in Cleveland right now.  (Unfortunately, our family got tickets for Memorial Day when apparently the team thought they were on holiday, too.)

Sharing the Lindor love:  

This link is from yesterday:

http://m.mlb.com/cutfour/2016/06/05/182211480/indians-francisco-lindor-adds-to-defensive-resume-with-far-ranging-flip-play

We started watching him in Akron at the AA level, and you just knew he was a star in the making.  He clearly loves the game, and his enthusiasm is contagious!

(edited)
17 hours ago, Rick Kitchen said:

Jake Arrieta lost a game today!

Now he can start a streak of losing  20 decisions in a row. 

Edited by tom87
  • Love 1

I was in Miami over the weekend for a wedding (oy, the humidity.  I looked like a chia pet) and visited my cousin for the first time since she moved there from Brooklyn last winter.  She lives in a high rise and has a view of the Marlins stadium and really, that's the only interesting thing I can say about that place.  What an eyesore.

• Love 2

The park sits on the site of the former Orange Bowl in a somewhat residential area and it looks so out of place, like they just plopped it down there.  According to Wikipedia the cost breakdown was 80% paid by the city and county (taxpayers) and 20% from the team.

That Miami deal was really messed up. Part of the public financing was through a $90 million bond offering. Interest rates were relatively high at the time and officials decided on a deferred payment that made their costs even higher. In the end, that 90 million (which is only part of the financing) will cost the county over one billion (2009) dollars.

How grateful is owner Jeffrey Loria for all of that free money? He's suing season ticket holders who want to get out of their deals because the team isn't offering the services they advertised.

Has any franchise treated it's fans worse than the Marlins?  They've pretty much blown up two championship teams before the parade was finished, and this business with the stadium. Other teams have had worse on field results, but I can't think off the top of my head of another team crapping on its own fans to this extent.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Of course. And I'm guessing that the crowd is at least half retirees from other cities.

In the area of the park you're more likely to find Latin American and Caribbean immigrants who are lower on the socio-economic scale and probably can't afford to take a family to a ballgame.

One sign that you are getting old? You see news about a trade involving Fernando Tatis and your first thought is  "He's still in the league?" 

And then you realize they are talking about Fernando Tatis Jr. 

• Love 4

To quote from that article "what a shit show" is right.  I feel for the Braves players as they didn't ask to be part of such a lousy organization and now I really feel for the residents of Cobb county who are being denied public services in order to build a stadium that didn't need to exist (and have their taxes go up).  Ted Turner may be the smartest man in the world for having sold the franchise all those years ago.  Current ownership can go fuck themselves.  Yeah, I'm pissed.

• Love 1

Baseball fight...oy

Manny has a right to be pissed at Ventura for throwing a 99 mph fastball at him, but he's got to learn to control himself.  Without Hardy, we can't afford him being suspended.  Bad enough he's ejected for the rest of the game.  

He almost landed a good punch though ...  and got Ventura in a headlock. So that's...something.

See, that's when you gotta toss somebody. If Noah had thrown a pitch at Utley's eye level, on the other side of the plate, would he have been run out? With the Mets' luck, probably.

Damn, I thought Robin Ventura was involved. "Ventura in a headlock" brings back fond memories.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, ebk57 said:

Baseball fight...oy

Manny has a right to be pissed at Ventura for throwing a 99 mph fastball at him, but he's got to learn to control himself.  Without Hardy, we can't afford him being suspended.  Bad enough he's ejected for the rest of the game.  

He almost landed a good punch though ...  and got Ventura in a headlock. So that's...something.

I don't think he's going to get too long of a suspension, at most he'll get 7 games.  Ventura's going to get the long suspension and rightfully so, he's had way too many of these incidents.  And you had to love that Salvador Perez was in no hurry at all to stop Machado from decking Ventura, he could have grabbed Machado but didn't.  He's obviously sick of Ventura's crap, and always being the one to bail him out and save him from an ass kicking.  The big one was last year when he tried to start something with Mike Trout, when he got in Trout's face and started jawing Perez pulled him away from Trout.  Perez saved Ventura from an ass kicking that day, and if last night's anything to go by, he's done with it.

I think the fisticuffs of Odor and Bautista have inspired players throughout the league. A new bar has been set: you gotta throw actual punches now to be taken seriously (and get in all the highlight reels). No puffed-chest posturing will do anymore.

3 hours ago, Jediknight said:

And you had to love that Salvador Perez was in no hurry at all to stop Machado from decking Ventura, he could have grabbed Machado but didn't.  He's obviously sick of Ventura's crap, and always being the one to bail him out and save him from an ass kicking. 

My O's fan coworker thought the same thing.  I honestly don't know if I've ever seen a catcher back off like that before.

6 hours ago, MattDuffysCat said:

Finally got splash hit #69 tonight at AT&T! Was such a fun game to attend, even if my date sucked and my phone died and I lost my transit card. :D

Yesss! I love that Brandon Belt hit it, I knew it would be him! Jealous you got to be there! 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, rippleintime17 said:

Yesss! I love that Brandon Belt hit it, I knew it would be him! Jealous you got to be there! 

Yeah, he was probably like, "really guys, I have to do all the work to hit balls out to McCovey Cove?" Ha! It was also fun to see Williamson's first MLB homer! Even if he did fumble with a fly ball later and made everyone almost panic. Which I almost spelled as panik without thinking! Go figure :)

I found out the other day that the NBA and NHL are purposely on different nights in the Finals as an agreement between the leagues, which is nice.  The NHL needs all the help they can get for ratings.  Of course, this would all be moot going forward if stupid Martin Jones were not apparently a brick wall. 

Well that didn't have anything to do with baseball soooo...um how about I really want a No Runs DMC t-shirt that they showed the other day during the Yankees game but I don't want to shell out 40 bucks for it.

• Love 1