Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

How can it be you've made it to another year, when I know this world is killing you, MyAimisTrue?! Here's hoping you catch a ball from a cute player!

(Never going to miss an opportunity to make that joke. I apologize for being tiresome.)

• Love 1

I actually didn't know she was still alive.

Me neither.  Maybe she's a zombie.  

I'm still upset about Paul O'Neill.  I don't like the Yankees and I knew that politically he was on the right, but damn.  Up until this point I always liked the guy.

• Love 1

On a more baseball related topic someone needs to go and break up the Phils!

Perhaps you mean the Blue Jays?  Also I think around April 1-2 we should all be ridiculous (not just me) and try to make picks for who'll make the playoffs. It'll make for some good laughs in October. 

Perhaps you mean the Blue Jays? Also I think around April 1-2 we should all be ridiculous (not just me) and try to make picks for who'll make the playoffs. It'll make for some good laughs in October.

Well with the way the Phillies are playing I am already planning to go to the inevitable parade after they win it all. (Is that ridiculous enough for you :) ?).

Don't worry I am not delusional, I don't really think they are going to win this year but they are playing well and at least they may be fun to watch. I think the Phillies are definitely moving in the right direction.

Edited by shoregirl

The Adam LaRoche retirement story got interesting.

Sources: LaRoche chose to retire after #WhiteSox prez Ken Williams told him that he no longer could bring 14-year-old son into clubhouse.

And here is the long story (on a facebook link, sorry to those not on fb)

"I asked Adam, said, 'Listen, our focus, our interest, our desire this year is to make sure we give ourselves every opportunity to focus on a daily basis on getting better. All I'm asking you to do with regard to bringing your kid to the ballpark is dial it back.'

"I don't think he should be here 100 percent of the time - and he has been here 100 percent, every day, in the clubhouse. I said that I don't even think he should be here 50 percent of the time. Figure it out, somewhere in between.

• Love 1

I don't blame the Sox for feeling that way. It is a place of business, after all. I wonder if daddy felt his kid was a special snowflake and maybe other players disagreed? Or perhaps it was getting out of hand with too many players bringing their sons to the park all day, every day.

I sure wouldn't want to have to deal with my co-worker's kids day in and day out. Especially if the kids feel entitled to hang out in the employees lounge, watching tv and playing music, using the work computers, generally getting under foot because parents aren't supervising them closely. Or in this case taking batting practice, fielding, taking up space in the clubhouse, dugout, on the field, etc., and just generally getting in the way while other players are trying to do their job.

I am guessing there is more to this story. I doubt this is the first time someone raised the topic of LaRoche's kid spending too much time in the locker room.

• Love 5

Holy crap those are hideous! I wouldn't even want one if it was free. But then again, I hate the alternate uniform trend. If the cap isn't navy blue with a white or orange Old English D, it isn't a Detroit Tigers cap, in my opinion.

Speaking of my old-fashion, get-off-my-lawn attitude, what do you think our grandparents would think of vendors selling bottled water at the old ball park? Buy me some peanuts and Evian?

• Love 1

I don't blame the Sox for feeling that way. It is a place of business, after all. I wonder if daddy felt his kid was a special snowflake and maybe other players disagreed? Or perhaps it was getting out of hand with too many players bringing their sons to the park all day, every day.

I sure wouldn't want to have to deal with my co-worker's kids day in and day out. Especially if the kids feel entitled to hang out in the employees lounge, watching tv and playing music, using the work computers, generally getting under foot because parents aren't supervising them closely. Or in this case taking batting practice, fielding, taking up space in the clubhouse, dugout, on the field, etc., and just generally getting in the way while other players are trying to do their job.

I am guessing there is more to this story. I doubt this is the first time someone raised the topic of LaRoche's kid spending too much time in the locker room.

Here's a story from when he played for the Nats about his son:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/for-adam-laroche-nationals-spring-training-is-take-your-son-to-work-day-every-day/2013/02/25/5c313814-7f95-11e2-a350-49866afab584_story.html?tid=a_inl

My serious opinion about this is why would you not care about your child's education?  Do you want him to be like Dexter Manley (formerly of the Washington Redskins) who went through school be passed to the next grade even though he couldn't read?  

Plus what kind of School Board is okay with that.

I mean seriously, do just enough school work to pass standardized testing?

plus someone needs to tell Adam:  Winners never quit and Quitter's never win, what are showing your son by just quitting?

Edited by jennifer6973
  • Love 2

Dear Adam LaRoche,

Your employer and your coworkers have the right to not want your kid around them all day, every day.

When helicopter parents are saying, "Geez dude, get a grip", you probably need to step it back a notch.

• Love 7

From the Washington Post link above:

“We’re not big on school,” LaRoche said. “I told my wife, ‘He’s going to learn a lot more useful information in the clubhouse than he will in the classroom, as far as life lessons.’ ”

Man, do I think Adam LaRoche is doing his son a major disservice.

• Love 6

Dear Adam LaRoche,

Your employer and your coworkers have the right to not want your kid around them all day, every day.

When helicopter parents are saying, "Geez dude, get a grip", you probably need to step it back a notch.

But apparently his co-workers had no problem with it.  In fact, the Sox players threatened to boycott yesterday's game until there was a closed door meeting.

But apparently his co-workers had no problem with it.  In fact, the Sox players threatened to boycott yesterday's game until there was a closed door meeting.

I would guess that at least SOME of them had a problem with it or else this wouldn't be happening. The more vocal ones (like Sale and Eaton) standing up for LaRoche is expected, but it's unlikely the guys who don't want the kid around 24/7 would want to be identified. Sounds like Williams was taking one for the team, literally, in being the bad guy. 

The school thing strikes me as odd, but more odd to me is that LaRoche also has a daughter who obviously doesn't have the kind of clubhouse access her brother does (and she shouldn't) so she gets far less time with him, but that seems to be something he's been able to balance his life around, yet being asked to have his son around less is enough to cause him to retire? It's awesome that clubhouses can be family-friendly and that kids are welcome at times but I can't imagine that every ballplayer is perfectly fine with anyone's kid always being around. 

• Love 4

It's awesome that clubhouses can be family-friendly and that kids are welcome at times but I can't imagine that every ballplayer is perfectly fine with anyone's kid always being around. 

And what happens when eight other guys decide they want to have their kids around all the time?  It's a workplace, not a playground or day care center. Not to mention the shit storm that would ensue if the kid gets hurt while in the clubhouse or on the field...

• Love 4

And what happens when eight other guys decide they want to have their kids around all the time?  It's a workplace, not a playground or day care center. Not to mention the shit storm that would ensue if the kid gets hurt while in the clubhouse or on the field...

Yeah, the whole thing seems like it would be a legal nightmare, especially if it's not officially written into a contract (as it appears this was not).

I would guess that at least SOME of them had a problem with it or else this wouldn't be happening. The more vocal ones (like Sale and Eaton) standing up for LaRoche is expected, but it's unlikely the guys who don't want the kid around 24/7 would want to be identified. Sounds like Williams was taking one for the team, literally, in being the bad guy.

The school thing strikes me as odd, but more odd to me is that LaRoche also has a daughter who obviously doesn't have the kind of clubhouse access her brother does (and she shouldn't) so she gets far less time with him, but that seems to be something he's been able to balance his life around, yet being asked to have his son around less is enough to cause him to retire? It's awesome that clubhouses can be family-friendly and that kids are welcome at times but I can't imagine that every ballplayer is perfectly fine with anyone's kid always being around.

My wild guess is that LaRoche figures the girl is supposed to learn her life lessons at home with Mom? Maybe this guy's new gig can be as the spokesperson for attachment parenting.

One of the cardinal rules of sports, stars get preferential treatment.

Adam LaRoche is not a star. If the Sox thought he could hit .275 and drive in a hundred runs I think the kid would still be in the locker room. 

• Love 1

What is Chris Sale's problem with all of this? You would think it was his kid that got kicked out of the locker room. 

Clearly his beef with Williams goes deeper than this incident. 

• Love 2

LaRoche's kid is home-schooled (and locker-room schooled apparently)

From what I read, he works with a tutor from Sylvan Learning Center during spring training/the part of the school year that overlaps with the season. Of course, now that his dad is retired, that might change.

I'm wondering if LaRoche's family leads a Duggar-like lifestyle where the boys get to do boy stuff like hang out with ball players and the girls learn how to cook and other home making activities.

I saw an article that said that his daughter, who's 11, plays softball and volleyball, so it doesn't seem to be.

Management probably told LaRoche when he signed that he could bring the kid in "anytime"... not even once figuring that any parent would bring their kid in on a frequent/constant basis. And they prob figured that he would always tell management when he would be bringing the kid.

I would not be surprised if before the season starts, LaRoche has a change of heart. He will realize that $13M or whatever it is, is nothing to sneeze at even if you have not squandered all the money you've made in your career.  Could happen.   

BTW, those caps are hideous! You can't even see the team logo. Mittengirl, I'm with you. 

Edited by prican58

ebk57, do you have Quackerjack, the Long Island Ducks mascot? They're in the independent Atlantic league.  I was going through some stuff, and I have an extra.  Back when I worked at Newsday, we had tickets and a suite.  I went to a ton of games and collected a bunch of their stuff.  He's been in the box for close to 10 years, and if you would like it, send me your info, and it's yours!

QuackerJack has arrived!  He's at home now in the mascot tower between Ballapeno and Henry the Puffy Taco from the San Antonio Missions.  We had a great time at that game!! 

IMG_20160322_185143_zpstz0cnzfu.jpg

IMG_20160322_185153_zpsdkd6sdym.jpg

Thank you so much, Moose135!  I really appreciate it!!

• Love 4
I would not be surprised if before the season starts, LaRoche has a change of heart.

This could be true, he could change his mind, but I'm unsure it'd be with the White Sox. Bad vibes now.

But, my guess is we have seen the last of LaRoche.

BTW that Henry the Puffy Taco and Ballapeno from the Missions are great! But... what unfortunate 'head is now relegated BEHIND QuackerJack? Looks like a Philly based one. 

• Love 1