Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Episode Six

Oh, Tony.  You are in trouble now.  

Gwen knows more than she is letting on.  

Barb & Russ,  I think they are the only ones for each other.  Sadly.  If Aubrey is the one that is the killer, Barb's head will explode when she finds out the killer is white.  

The hour goes by far too quickly.

• Love 4

The hour goes by far too quickly.

Really???  Because I feel like time stops when this show is on.  I feel like I need Prozac to get through the whole hour.

Even the woman who likes Russ is backing away from this miserable mess.  

• Love 6

Am I suppose to have sympathy/empathy for any of these people?  I don't mean like them or identify with them, but care at all about their suffering.  'Cause I don't.  They can all die in the next episode, and I'd be happy to start over with a clean slate.

The meth head's sister whining about how his case being moved to a different courtroom was obviously some kind of racist conspiracy against her particularly pissed me off.  I work in a courthouse, and cases (often the entire docket for the day) get moved from courtroom to courtroom all the time; it's a small courthouse, so usually it's just across or down the hallway, but still, it's nothing unusal or special, and certainly not anything personal.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2

Does Gwen know more than she's saying or is she brain-damaged? Tony is too stupid to be free on the streets. What a mess his whole family is. Based on preview it looked like Carter is coming to his senses but it's too late. Thanks to his junkie ho of a girlfriend, his life is forever ruined.

• Love 7

As I've said before, this show is racist. The mother of the corpse is treated as odious by her in-laws, her remaining son, and Barb's ex. The Hispanic father is treated as odious by the Hispanic community in a way that shows all Hispanics to be evil. Carter is a moron, the White cops are heartless pigs....only the father of the corpse is the least bit sympathetic.

• Love 1

I don't think having sympathy or empathy for any of these characters is the point of this show.

I think the point of the show is summed up in a comment that I think the erstwhile Doreen makes Episode 5, something about good men who make mistakes.  The unspoken corollary being, Right.  But at what point do good men who make mistakes become bad men?

I suspect Carter's plot trajectory will be an attempt to answer that question.

• Love 3

After finishing Episode Six, I've reached the epiphany that this is actually a mini-series to be shown to middle school and high school students as part of the "Scared Straight:  This is How Your Life Gets Effed Up" series.

Seriously, it has the dubious benefit of having NO empathethic character from any demographic so this is all perfect for our diverse public schools.  Whether you're black, white, Latino, female, male, tall, short, rich or poor, we've got a character for you that gets EFFED up in this truly horrible show setting.

Tonight's "star" at showcasing how one's life can go down the drain was young teen Tony.

Oh, I actually feel pity for the city of Modesto.  What did it ever do to deserve this?  (I'm not tempted to watch next week's episode despite the teaser.)

• Love 5

After finishing Episode Six, I've reached the epiphany that this is actually a mini-series to be shown to middle school and high school students as part of the "Scared Straight:  This is How Your Life Gets Effed Up" series.

Briliant!  Tomorrow I'll force my kids to watch it with me, there has to be some bloody purpose to this show, beyond the neverending misery....

• Love 4

Seriously, it has the dubious benefit of having NO empathethic character from any demographic so this is all perfect for our diverse public schools. Whether you're black, white, Latino, female, male, tall, short, rich or poor, we've got a character for you that gets EFFED up in this truly horrible show setting.

Yep. The show is a human racist.

Am I suppose to have sympathy/empathy for any of these people?  I don't mean like them or identify with them, but care at all about their suffering.  'Cause I don't.  They can all die in the next episode, and I'd be happy to start over with a clean slate.

The meth head's sister whining about how his case being moved to a different courtroom was obviously some kind of racist conspiracy against her particularly pissed me off.  I work in a courthouse, and cases (often the entire docket for the day) get moved from courtroom to courtroom all the time; it's a small courthouse, so usually it's just across or down the hallway, but still, it's nothing unusal or special, and certainly not anything personal.

I was thinking the same thing half way through this episode.  I don't have warm feelings for ANYBODY on this show.  I'm reserving judgment on Gwen for one obvious reason....she hasn't said much yet.  But everybody else? Blah.  I can't stand most of them.  Barb, Aubry (and by extension Carter...since I feel he would actually be ok if it weren't for Aubry) and Tony are my most hated.  I suspect the illegal Mexican with the slashed up face will by right up there once he fabricates some story against Carter to keep from being extradited to Mexico.

Edited by FuriousStyles

I suspect the illegal Mexican with the slashed up face will by right up there once he fabricates some story against Carter to keep from being extradited to Mexico.

He's a bit over the top, isn't he?  I think the only note they missed was to have a pair of pointy horns growing out of his forehead

• Love 7

He's a bit over the top, isn't he?  I think the only note they missed was to have a pair of pointy horns growing out of his forehead

God yes!  I'm not sure if its the actor or if the writing is just that bad.  Either way, its eye-rolling.  I expected him to literally start twirling his mustache in that last scene with the cop/investigator.

• Love 6

God yes!  I'm not sure if its the actor or if the writing is just that bad.  Either way, its eye-rolling.  I expected him to literally start twirling his mustache in that last scene with the cop/investigator.

LOL, exactly!   This show works overtime to make you hate every stereotype it parades across the screen.  Behold this despicable Mexican!  See how he schemes and manipulates our justice and immigration system!   See how weak we are to let this happen!

Meanwhile, Tony, the son of the legal Mexican immigrant, is busy going viral as a gangbanger while he's on parole for his role in a double-homicide.   Because he has to bash in the head of the other Mexican kid who assaulted his sister in front of still another Mexican friend who couldn't care less that the girl was being hammered.

I don't live in southern California, so I can't say whether this is an accurate reflection of the culture there.   But God, I hope not.

• Love 3

I don't get the point of the hate crime designation. The prosecution knows Aubrey is Carter's girlfriend so how is that going to play? Especially if the defense can manage to get her straightened up enough to testify for him. Odds are though, he won't want her anywhere near his defense since she'd be likely to show up high and ruin everything.

• Love 2

The hate crime thing is just another way to stir up the audience to hate Barb. I already do, but still think her character and most of the others is poorly written and cardboard. I still don't like her surviving son either. He is a grown man who is still whining because he doesn't like the person his mother is. Lots of people have bad childhoods and difficult relatives, you can still choose your own course in life.

I'm glad they finally showed the police at least attempting to get a statement from Gwen. But it would not be up to the parents if they talk to her or not. If the doctors OK it and she is an adult, the parents have no say. Of course the main theme throughout this is that all of the grown children are somehow in the control of there parents in one way or another.

I don't know what to think of Tony. Was he really a good kid before or was he always in secret trouble his dad didn't know about. Or are we supposed to think his short stint in juvie harmed him for life, which will no doubt somehow be the fault of his dad and Barb (just being sarcastic there).

Amber is awful although I wonder if the scene with her brother or step-brother I guess was hinted at her being sexually abused by him? 

I really want to find out who did it and I like most of the actors so I will soldier on, depressing as it is.

• Love 1

I don't know what to think of Tony. Was he really a good kid before or was he always in secret trouble his dad didn't know about. Or are we supposed to think his short stint in juvie harmed him for life, which will no doubt somehow be the fault of his dad and Barb (just being sarcastic there).

Amber is awful although I wonder if the scene with her brother or step-brother I guess was hinted at her being sexually abused by him? 

I really want to find out who did it and I like most of the actors so I will soldier on, depressing as it is.

You make a good point about Tony.  At first I thought he just got caught up in this mess, but now I'm beginning to think he understood more about what was happening when the illegal was using his car.  I guess I just don't understand why he dislikes his father so much.  

I also wondered if the brother/stepbrother sexually abused Aubry.  The scene in the hospital did allude to it.  She is one messed up person and who I believe killed Matt.  

• Love 2

The first weird vibe I got from Aubry and her bro, was when they made it look as if she were trying to seduce him, to get money or something. It was an ewwww moment, that I don't remember feeling in the hospital scene (but I may have missed it). I think she's the killer, too, and Carter is trying to protect her, which as we've seen, will only get him more effed in the system. The special circumstances of the hate crime designation do not add anything except to placate Barb. These guys are already charged with first degree murder. I don't know the specifics of CA's hate crime statute, but what will it add a few more years? If they were charged to a lesser degree the additional hate crime charge would probably bring them into capital crime territory.

Tony sucks. He is such a whiny, pouty, ungrateful, beyotch. The way he treats his dad is horrible. This guy is just trying to raise two kids after the loss of his wife, do either of them think of the impact that's had on their dad? No, they go whine to their uncle or their stupid no good new friends. Tony deserves to be locked up again, have fun back in jail. It always amazes me how idiots continue to film and share their criminal behavior. cops eat that shit up, just hand them your case, lol.

• Love 3

Sorry I said Amber instead of Aubry. In the hospital she said something about telling the truth or confessing and the brother gave her a look and walked away. Then she had tears running down her face. I could have read that wrong though.

Tony sucks. He is such a whiny, pouty, ungrateful, beyotch. The way he treats his dad is horrible. This guy is just trying to raise two kids after the loss of his wife, do either of them think of the impact that's had on their dad? No, they go whine to their uncle or their stupid no good new friends. Tony deserves to be locked up again, have fun back in jail. It always amazes me how idiots continue to film and share their criminal behavior. cops eat that shit up, just hand them your case, lol.

This is why I can't stand Tony.  He's a whiny, ungrateful bitch.  And he's an idiot.  He lets some random dude take the car to do whatever for how much was it?  $20 or $50 or whatever.  Then he lets his new friends record him as he's assaulting another kid with a pipe.....AFTER he just got out of juvie.  I mean really?  How freaking stupid can you be.  His dad might be a bit clueless, but he seems like a good father just trying to provide for his kids.  Tony and his sister should consider themselves lucky to have what they have.

• Love 6

I don't live in southern California, so I can't say whether this is an accurate reflection of the culture there.   But God, I hope not.

Modesto is in the Central Valley and would definitely not be considered "southern California." It's in the Sacramento-Stockton-Modesto media market (TV stations all come from Sacramento.)

• Love 2

When Barb's mentor suggested she go celebrate her "win" in getting the case classified as a hate crime, it was obvious Barb has no one with whom to celebrate.  She has no friends.  I've known people like her - every conversation with them is a rant on something they find unjust in our society.  Other people end up avoiding them like the plague, because there is no solace, ever.

Even Barb's mentor's boyfriend/husband is worried that she will get sucked back in to the drama that Barb is incurring.

(sorry, can't remember the mentor's name)

• Love 3

Even Barb's mentor's boyfriend/husband is worried that she will get sucked back in to the drama that Barb is incurring.

(sorry, can't remember the mentor's name)

Nancy Straumberg is a victim's rights advocate played by the wonderful Lili Taylor.

• Love 2

Lili Taylor, Felicity Huffman, Timothy Hutton, Regina King, and Penelope Ann Miller:  I so badly wanted to like this show since I think this is a group of fine actors.  But I don't.  I might try just one more episode.

• Love 2