Type keyword(s) to search

Bloodline: Southern Gothic Murder Mystery Done Right

I loved Damages (at least seasons 1 and 3) so when I saw the show's pedigree I had high hopes. We're only on episode 7 and we started watching it because we'd gone through House of Cards and Bosch (there's another enjoyable drama) and Kimmy and we're waiting for Mad Men (hmmm...sound familiar?) and there it was, popping up on my Netflix recommended list.

We're going slowly because once it's done, it's done.

The setting is so perfect for a mystery, everyone has a secret. My only teensy gripe: they don't seem like siblings at ALL. Shepard and Spacek convinced me they'd been married forever, but the kids are a little disjointed. But I don't care. I only hope the payoff is as good as the build-up.

Thanks for bringing some press to this! I just finished the season a couple nights ago. It's not a perfect show, but I got hooked early on, and was so frustrated with how little attention it received

• Love 1

I'm through episode 10. The only thing that's got me annoyed and taken me "out of the story" is the thing that always gets screwed up on TV - lawyers. Because I'm a lawyer it all pinged my "they're getting this all wrong" radar - and they got NONE of the Trusts and Estates stuff right.

- Meg handling her dad's estate, when she's a beneficiary of the estate, is like, the biggest no-no there is. Like, the first thing you learn in Trusts and Estates class in law school big.

- Someone changing their will within a YEAR of their death is prima facie grounds for getting it thrown out if someone wants to challenge it, which Meg, being the super-smart lawyer they claim she is would know, so why she's even bothering with this scheme....

- wills need to be witnessed/notarized/etc. (there's actually an exception to this for handwritten wills written on the back of a napkin! but stuff drafted by a lawyer? must be notarized and witnessed)

That stuff all really annoyed me. It's the classic "we need legal machinations to make people look evil/shady/underhanded or move the plot in a direction but we understand nothing about how the actual law works", and it ALWAYS serves to take me out of the story. Especially since so much of this particular thread has been entirely unnecessary to the overall plot.

The rest of it's been great though.

• Love 4

I've been loving this show, and was excited about it months before it premiered on March 20. But that's the Ben Mendelsohn and Kyle Chandler lover in me.

Having lived in the Keys for a couple of years, I am so impressed by how they've captured the attitude and the atmosphere of those communities just right.

I finished episode 7 last night. I binged through the first 4 on the Friday it premiered and have since been doling them out slowly, savoring them a bit. I look forward to the end but am also worried that we may not get more of them because this show is getting so little buzz. But hey, if Netflix could give that dumb Lillyhammer show a second season, surely they can give some love to this great one.

I loved Damages (at least seasons 1 and 3) so when I saw the show's pedigree I had high hopes. We're only on episode 7 and we started watching it because we'd gone through House of Cards and Bosch (there's another enjoyable drama) and Kimmy and we're waiting for Mad Men (hmmm...sound familiar?) and there it was, popping up on my Netflix recommended list.

We're going slowly because once it's done, it's done.

The setting is so perfect for a mystery, everyone has a secret. My only teensy gripe: they don't seem like siblings at ALL. Shepard and Spacek convinced me they'd been married forever, but the kids are a little disjointed. But I don't care. I only hope the payoff is as good as the build-up.

Yeah, the thing that takes me out of Bloodline is how none of the siblings look like each other. Kevin straight up looks like he come from another man and woman, John and Meg look a bit like each other, but not much and Danny looks different from everyone as well. But they're all great actors so it's a minor complaint.

Yeah, the thing that takes me out of Bloodline is how none of the siblings look like each other. Kevin straight up looks like he come from another man and woman, John and Meg look a bit like each other, but not much and Danny looks different from everyone as well. But they're all great actors so it's a minor complaint.

In the beginning I briefly expected one of the "secrets" to be that Sissy Spacek had elevendy-seven different baby daddies...

• Love 2

I agree that none of the siblings look alike, but man did they do a good job casting the teenage versions of Kyle Chandler and Ben Mendelsohn.

I watched the whole series in about 4 days. Once I came up for air, I realized I didn't think it was very good. It's an amazing cast, and the show certainly has the look of a Quality Prestige Drama, but I thought most of the season it just kind of meandered and stalled.

One of the things I liked most of the show was the sibling "vibe" I got from all of them.  I totally bought that they were siblings.  As far as them not "looking" like each other, I don't necessarily know what that means.  I thought they resembled each other enough to pass as siblings.  I also loved that they split up the looks with John, Meg, and Sarah taking after Robert and Danny and Kevin taking after Sally.  I usually hate when all siblings from a big family "look alike", in my experience it is usually unrealistic.

• Love 3

As none of my siblings and I looked alike, this didn't bother me one bit. The dynamics, though, are spot on. I thought, at one point, that Danny was the son of the detective who gave him the tapes. And that might have been part of the reason the father was so brutal with him. I haven't finished, so who knows.

I almost gave up after episode 2 because Kevin's anger issues were so off-putting. But I'm glad I stayed. The acting is brilliant, the slow discoveries are great. I'm ready to watch the last one, and still have no clue how some of the flash forwards came to be. I wonder why it wasn't promoted. I think the actor who plays Danny should get an Emmy.

• Love 4

I am watching episode 9 as we speak....I made a pact to myself that I would watch one episode a day because I don't want to be lured to the trap of binge watching....;-x

I am usually not much into slow pacing shows, but somehow, this one manages to keep me curious to watch the whole season.... I must say the scene in one of the early episodes where Robert tells Danny to leave never come back was sad.... I kinda felt like that Danny really did want to make his life better, but since his dad told him to leave for good then that went to shit....;-x

Loved it! I have no idea why Netflix didn't publicize this series. Also, it demonstrates why more shows need to be set in Florida - it looks gorgeous on-screen and the mosquitoes can't bite you!

• Love 2

I have just discovered this haunting gem, and I have to disagree with the siblings not resembling each other. In Part 1, the four are standing close and talking, and I could see where John and Meg could be brother-sister, where Danny and Kevin both have that disheveled look, like their father (Sam Shepard). I also thought that Kevin and John could be brothers, but in that Dennis/Randy Quaid sort of way, where one brother clearly gets the better genetic hand dealt to him. The only thing that bothered me just a little is that none of them remotely resemble Sissy Spacek. But, no matter, just an observation.

I had a feeling that once I pressed "Play" for Part 1, I'd be hooked, and I am. But I would follow Kyle Chandler anywhere. Looking forward to a rainy day binge watch in the near future.

• Love 1

Literary question, how is this a Southern Gothic story? Florida isn't typically considered part of the South culturally.

yes true. Florida is it's own culture entirely. And the Keys are different than the rest of Florida

• Love 2

Thank you for this. I finally started watching. I love Kyle Chandler generally and seeing Linda Cardellini (not in a Mad Men wig!) is a massive bonus. Plus I've grown to appreciate and love Sissy Spacek more over the years. I used to hate her (too hippie, not glamorous enough in my teen opinion, wimpy in Carrie). But she has a rock steady quality as an older woman. I wouldn't mess with her.

One question--are the Keys really THAT beautiful? I think I may need to finally visit.

One question--are the Keys really THAT beautiful? I think I may need to finally visit.

They really are -- on a sunny, clear day, the drive across the 7-mile bridge down to the lower Keys is absolutely one of the most beautifully scenic things to see in the US.

• Love 4

I finally had some free time, so I decided to check this out. I really enjoyed it, and am really interested to see where the story goes next. 

The acting was all terrific, and I loved how lived in all the characters seemed, and how they looked. They just seemed like people who have known each other a long time, and spend a ridiculous amount of time out in the sun, or in the water. The mystery came around slowly, but I thought the pace worked really well. It had such a dark atmosphere, for being set in a sunny, beautiful place. That was another thing I really liked about the show. The Florida Keys setting is so unique and lovely, it really gave the show its own special vibe, as opposed to being a family drama set in some random place near LA, as a lot of shows that feature a lot water are. 

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2015 at 6:25 PM, knaankos said:

yes true. Florida is it's own culture entirely. And the Keys are different than the rest of Florida

Well, north & central Florida are certainly southern. But Orlando, So FL, Tampa area & the Keys, not so much. But like Knaankos said, the Keys are a whole different entity.

• Love 1
On 4/1/2015 at 5:26 PM, JBC344 said:

usually hate when all siblings from a big family "look alike", in my experience it is usually unrealistic.

I have 2 siblings. One is blonde with blue eyes, fair skin and freckles, the other has black hair and brown eyes with more olive toned skin. Both of them are naturally thin while I have always been on the chubby side, none of us look alike. So them not looking alike doesn't bother me.

On 8/15/2015 at 6:25 PM, knaankos said:

Florida is it's own culture entirely. And the Keys are different than the rest of Florida

I am from the midwest but lived in Florida for a few years and Florida culture is definitely different. Also visited the Keys a few times and agree that it's got it's own culture which I think this show captures well.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, DrSparkles said:

Argh!! Is the actress that plays Eve the worst in the world or am I missing something?!?

No, you're not missing anything. I am not sure if she is just a really bad actress or they give her bad directions on what they want, but she is not good.

• Love 1

Not really sure where to put this, but perhaps this is the spot.  Just finished watching S2.  Kyle Chandler is always gonna be so Friday Night Lights Coach Wonderful, even when he's hiding the fact that he's murdered his bro.  The one I watch with extra fascination is Leo Norbert Butz.  I live in Seattle.  His sister was murdered a couple of years ago by a mad man, and Eli Sanders (of the Seattle weekly newspaper, The Stranger) wrote an amazing, powerful story about the case.  "While the City Slept".  There is quite a bit about Leo Norbert Butz in the book.  And just knowing the anguish he suffered personally for such a horrendous, atrocious loss in his own life, I almost feel I can see some of that come through in his acting.  He has certainly come a long way from his role on SMASH.  Wonder if, in future seasons, there might ever come a time when Kevin gets to sing.  Butz has a gorgeous voice, has done Broadway.  And with Eve having a bit of singing this season, mayhaps??

• Love 1
On 7/26/2016 at 8:15 PM, Wilson Cat said:

Not really sure where to put this, but perhaps this is the spot.  Just finished watching S2.  Kyle Chandler is always gonna be so Friday Night Lights Coach Wonderful, even when he's hiding the fact that he's murdered his bro.  The one I watch with extra fascination is Leo Norbert Butz.  I live in Seattle.  His sister was murdered a couple of years ago by a mad man, and Eli Sanders (of the Seattle weekly newspaper, The Stranger) wrote an amazing, powerful story about the case.  "While the City Slept".  There is quite a bit about Leo Norbert Butz in the book.  And just knowing the anguish he suffered personally for such a horrendous, atrocious loss in his own life, I almost feel I can see some of that come through in his acting.  He has certainly come a long way from his role on SMASH.  Wonder if, in future seasons, there might ever come a time when Kevin gets to sing.  Butz has a gorgeous voice, has done Broadway.  And with Eve having a bit of singing this season, mayhaps??

Thanks for sharing that; I had no idea. How difficult in some ways to play the role having been through an even worse crime in real life. I've veered back and forth on Kevin, often wanting something to go right for him. Then he aggravates me with ridiculous behavior. Good job on the portrayal by Butz.

• Love 1
On 7/28/2016 at 6:05 PM, peggy06 said:

I've veered back and forth on Kevin, often wanting something to go right for him. Then he aggravates me with ridiculous behavior. Good job on the portrayal by Butz

I agree. First I want something good to happen for him and in the next second I want to slap him.