Type keyword(s) to search

Killian Jones/Captain Hook: One Handed Pirate With A Drinking Problem

• Start Topic

Hook has been part of these heroes' "no viable plan, let's stumble as we go since it always turns out alright" approach, so it shouldn't be a surprise.  The writers constantly need SOMEONE stating the obvious so it's acknowledged and then they can continue their merry way writing whatever the hell they want.  In this case, it's Hook, because he's supposedly one of the more logical characters (others the writers consider logical would be Regina and Rumple, but the former is now part of the no-plan scheme and the latter is off on his own).

I remember when Emma had that role. She's not exactly the realist any more.

Hook's lack of contribution extends beyond 5B, imo. Honestly his role as the pirate who just stands there and makes dry remarks or broods is my least favorite part of his character. Usually he's sent off to babysit Belle or Henry I rarely see him as a team player. Whenever he's with the group, it's just to follow Emma around and he never really gets to create ties with anyone else. But I don't blame him as much as I do the writing for not spreading out his interactions with more characters. If Emma weren't there, he wouldn't give a flip. That worked in S3, but in S5 he's disinterested without actually getting anything to do on his own. He's there with all reluctance (aside from Emma), and that's very two-dimensional. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Hook's lack of contribution extends beyond 5B, imo. Honestly his role as the pirate who just stands there and makes dry remarks or broods is my least favorite part of his character. Usually he's sent off to babysit Belle or Henry. I rarely see him as a team player.

How much of that boils down to the magical vs. non-magic people debate, though? And what I mean by that is that the writers and the plot usually only allow the magical characters to do the heavy lifting, and Charming, Snow, Hook, and Belle all just kind of stand on the sidelines because what can they honestly contribute besides motivational speeches? When they're battling magical wizards and conjuring tornado portals, the non-magical people look useless because they can't do anything productive magically to help save the day.

But I'd argue that Hook was probably one of the most active team players during 5A when trying to save Emma from the Darkness. He was the only one freaking out in the premiere and was the one to get everyone rallied up to search for Emma. He lead the group to find the Apprentice and demanded a way to find Emma. He dropped the gauntlet down in front of Regina and made her do something productive instead of whining about her sister. He's the one who got frustrated with Henry who was blasé as could be slurping a giant soda and reading a book while his mom was freaking missing. He convinced Emma to not kill Merida. He got frustrated with the idea of throwing a ball instead of actively finding a way to get rid of the darkness. He was involved with the team who helped Lancelot and Merida escape from their cells. He was the one who came up with the plan to search Emma's basement in Storybrooke. I feel like Hook has definitely been a team player this season, but the Dark Hook arc has done so much to erase a lot of the positives in many viewers' eyes.

When we look back at Season 4B, I'm fine with Hook being the character who stood around and didn't contribute much to the team because Operation Dumbass was a stupid plan to begin with and no one should have gotten involved. During 4A, he was off getting blackmailed by Rumple and didn't get to do much with the Team Hero because of that. And then during Season 3, he was constantly a team member and risking his life to help with Zelena and Neverland. Season 2 is really the only time where he wasn't ever a true team player.

Edited by Curio
  • Love 4
Usually he's sent off to babysit Belle or Henry I rarely see him as a team player.

In 4B and 5A (and that showed up in late 3B, too), he was also the designated Emma Whisperer -- when her parents and Henry couldn't reach her and deal with her, they turned the situation over to Hook. He was the one who talked her down from being mad at her parents after the eggnapping revelation and got her to reconcile with them, and he was the one who was able to deal with her when she was the Dark One. Her parents stepped back while he took her off to distract her, and although Henry found them the good place to go, he then left them alone. And, as mentioned above, he was the one who talked her out of killing Merida, plus he was the one able to reach her so she could light the flame.

In 4B, it was through his work with Ursula that they lost one of the Queens of Darkness and learned about Rumple's plot to turn Emma dark, so that was a pretty big contribution. In 5A, if he hadn't been pushing to find out what Emma was up to in Storybrooke, they might never have realized what she was planning to do to Zelena until after it was done. They certainly weren't trying very hard.

I wouldn't necessarily call him a team player because his bigger contributions happen when he goes off on his own, but then that usually comes about when the others have either failed at what they were trying or when they aren't trying at all and he gets frustrated with that.

• Love 4
(edited)

How much of that boils down to the magical vs. non-magic people debate, though? And what I mean by that is that the writers and the plot usually only allow the magical characters to do the heavy lifting, and Charming, Snow, Hook, and Belle all just kind of stand on the sidelines because what can they honestly contribute besides motivational speeches?

Charming, Snow and Belle all have their own similar issues. They're not helpful either.

But I'd argue that Hook was probably one of the most active team player during 5A when trying to save Emma from the Darkness. And then during Season 3, he was constantly a team member and risking his life to help with Zelena and Neverland

In 5A it was strictly about saving Emma, which is the only reason Hook led the charge. With Zelena, he was less concerned about the witch and more about getting Emma back to stay in Storybrooke. In 3A, however, I don't think she was the only factor that played into Hook's decision-making. Bae was part of it too.

In 4B, it was through his work with Ursula that they lost one of the Queens of Darkness and learned about Rumple's plot to turn Emma dark, so that was a pretty big contribution.

I would say Ursula was the exception because she was someone he cared about. Emma and Bae fall into that category too. You remove them from the equation, and Hook has no business on this show.

Edited by KingOfHearts

I don't see why Hook needs to be involved in everything. He is a team player. Otherwise he wouldn't be along with every mission since Neverland. Even if he is simply babysitting someone, that is still being part of a team. Does it matter if he is most involved with Emma-related plots?

Does it matter if he is most involved with Emma-related plots?

Well, it would be a more layered, interesting story (and character) if Hook were involved with more people.  For example, the Hook/David friendship that became fanon, but not canon, would be a good thing.  It would also be interesting to see Hook and Snow interact, and for more than just the Hook fans. 

Of course, this is an issue that applies to more than just Hook.   One of my biggest wishes for the show is that the writers would have to draw two or three names out of a fish bowl every episode and include at least one reasonably-lengthed scene between them.

• Love 2

I was responding to the idea that Hook is not an active team player, which I disagreed with. Of course it would be nice to have Hook scenes with Charming or Snow or even Regina. But I think it's perfectly fine for him to be leading the charge when it's Emma in danger, but not in other cases. After all, he is only part of an ensemble cast, and falls in the second tier below Emma, Regina, and Rumple.

(edited)

He's been constantly called bland and a lovesick puppy who has lost his spark, but one line (that is actually true) and he is called rude and ungrateful

I do agree with the "bland and a lovesick puppy who has lost his spark", but I wouldn't call him rude or ungrateful. 

I don't see why Hook needs to be involved in everything. He is a team player. Otherwise he wouldn't be along with every mission since Neverland. Even if he is simply babysitting someone, that is still being part of a team. Does it matter if he is most involved with Emma-related plots?

I'm not saying that Hook is in the wrong or that he shouldn't act the way he's been acting. His reactions have all been in-character and mostly organic. My issue is that the writing for him has gotten progressively worse. He's given nothing but constant angst and things to pout about. (Unless he's propping up Emma.) I just don't find his character very interesting any more. Whenever he's given anything else to work with (like his feud with Rumple or his interactions with Belle), it's short-lived and is only there to serve the almighty plot.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 2

I'm not saying that Hook is in the wrong or that he shouldn't act the way he's been acting. His reactions have all been in-character and mostly organic. My issue is that the writing for him has gotten progressively worse. He's given nothing but constant angst and things to pout about. 

Yes.  This in particular. 

And the more they have him interact with mostly Emma, and not spending the time building relationships with other characters, the more it starts to look like while he is a team player, he's only on the team because Emma is, too.

That's a big change in his character, and not necessarily a good one.   I like that he's devoted to Emma, and supportive.  I don't like that his in--show world seems to entirely revolve around her.  

I miss the wit and the vocabulary, too.

• Love 3

Honestly, most of the characters have become so angsty and their story lines are so repetitive that it's hard to find any of the characters particularly interesting anymore. If they could allow Hook to become the comic relief again and let his character be humorous (Read: humor and sass are two different things, writers.), it would really bring a spark back to the character. Colin almost does too good of a job portraying how exhausted and tortured Killian is because I can feel that pain just watching the performance through the screen and it makes me exhausted. This show is supposed to be about fun fairy tales! I want to feel happy Sunday night, not depressed.

• Love 7

I must be in the minority then because I've loved how Hook's been written in season 5.

Also, on the whole-team-player thing, I believe Hook to be a team player. He doesn't "peace-out" in certain situations like, for example, Rumple does (who is decidedly not a team player). He contributes, but as a non-magical person he can only do so much.

• Love 5
(edited)

I'm with you HoodlumSheep. I too have loved the way Hook's been written in Season 5, particularly in 5A. For one thing, he has been more involved in the story than in Season 4, and has much better material to work with. He was quite proactive in 5A, and we got to see different facets of him--supportive boyfriend, the hero, Dark Hook, etc.. 5B got a little too heavy with the Hook-torture, but Hook still got to shine in scenes with others. Now that he's back with the group, he's probably going to take a backseat until later episodes. But that's just being part of an ensemble Show. I would certainly like more humor back (like Hook's delight at discovering Henry's crush on Violet), but that's an overall issue with the heavy themes of the Underworld arc, and hardly confined to him. 

Edited by Rumsy4
  • Love 3

I'm not sure you could call anyone on this show a team player because of the way it's written. Each character is only allowed to interact with that character's designated relationship partner unless plot-specific interaction is required. The Lancelot jail break is about the only time they truly functioned as a team, with actual team interaction. So it's not just Hook who stands on the sidelines until his centric episode that contributes to the plot.

You see how weirdly undeveloped the relationships are in the current arc. This whole group of people who saw Hook die are reunited with him, and he looks awful. But the only reaction from them to him is a couple of pats on the shoulder. He's seeing that this whole group of people has come to save him, and he barely reacts. They have plot points to get to! We can't even imagine the Offscreenville scene that might have happened right before we joined them after the return to Emma's house because we haven't seen enough of their relationships to be able to infer how it might have gone. We've seen Robin and Hook have two plot-related conversations. Did they bond in Camelot or upon the return to Storybrooke, and we just didn't see it? We keep being told about all the time that Henry and Hook are spending together offscreen, with the sailing lessons and house hunting, but we never see them interacting outside the plot, so we don't know how that relationship really works. Is this a week that David is okay with Hook, or is it a "Hook was a pirate!" week? There's no emotion at all in this reunion.

Or there was Liam. He interacted with the whole group when they were looking for the book, both at the loft and in the mansion, and yet he may as well have been a random guy who wandered in off the street. They weren't interacting with him as Hook's brother. When friends meet a family member, stuff tends to happen. There are stories about when that person was a kid -- either cute, embarrassing, or bragging, depending on the relationship -- or questions about what he was like as a kid. Was he always like this? Did he always have a temper? Snow and David are meeting their daughter's potential in-law. Aren't they curious about Hook's background and family? Liam is meeting his brother's potential in-laws. Isn't he curious? His brother's girlfriend's parents are the same age she is. His brother's girlfriend has a teenaged son who also refers to that other woman as "mom." What's up with that? Really, even Killian and Liam don't act like reunited long-lost brothers. There's no sense of shared history, very little emotion.

• Love 4

Early Hook did well as henchman to...anybody and everybody. Cora's henchman. Regina's henchman. Tamara's henchman. Heck, Elsa's henchman and she didn't even really ask because only baddies have henchmen. But Hook as a captain? Liam's important to his life and apparently to the plot, but I don't know about his relationship really to Smee, Edgar, or Lewis from the comic book. When he was homeless he managed to get a crew together, and they bought a prostitute for him, and then they disappeared. Like, how does somebody who buys you a prostitute just disappear from your life like that? I imagine they'd have to be pretty close! I don't foot the bill for prostitutes unless I feel that I know the beneficiary really well.

Even as a Nevenger, this show just doesn't appear to think in terms of "crew" or "team" (anymore; the Nevengers in Neverland had passable internal dynamics.)

They took Snow away from her dwarves and werewolves, except for when she was being retconned or evil. They took Mulan away from her army buddies and from the Merry Men. They took Robin Hood away from the Merry Men. I didn't watch much of Camelot, so I don't know how badly they handled the Round Table. So, I can't be surprised that they'd take Captain Hook away from the crew and put him in a crew where nobody really knows what to even do with each other.

Liam (...) interacted with the whole group when they were looking for the book, both at the loft and in the mansion, and yet he may as well have been a random guy who wandered in off the street.

I haven't watched the episode so I'm now thinking of Bernard Curry in the underworld of Galavant singing, "I'm just some random guyyy~!" While Colin pretends to knee Attorney Richard Fish in the family jewels.

On a shallow note, I thought his hair was a bit too short in late 4A-early 4B, so I didn't mind the length in Camelot and as the Dark One. And while I like the way it flips up in the back (mine does the same when it hits my shoulders), it's now starting to look like a comb-over in the front.

The wet hair in the scene when they were in the woods worked better. I'm glad they're keeping it for continuity, but it needs to go. I found it a bit distracting yesterday.

Give me season 3 hair though. 

• Love 3

They haven't really established any rules for appearance in the Underworld. Since this isn't his physical body, there's no reason he had to match the way he looked at death. Henry Sr. and Cora sort of did, but everyone else is wearing different clothes and has different hairstyles. The wounds that killed Hook aren't there. So, really, there's no reason he has to have the hook instead of a hand or be dressed like his Dark One version (before Emma changed him back). He could have been in truly ordinary Storybrooke clothes -- like a flannel shirt or a sweater and jeans -- instead of his quasi-piratey look. He could have shorter hair or longer hair, shorter scruff, longer beard, no beard at all.

The only real continuity issue with the hair depends on how he's resurrected. If they revive his physical body, then at that time he'd need to match the way he was when he died (unless the undertaker gave him a little trim). If he's brought back to life some other way, then all bets are off and they could do anything. But they won't. He'll have a hook and always wear the black leather jacket and pirate jewelry for branding purposes, regardless of story logic.

Love his hair and scruff length in the season 3 finale, my favorite.

That was my favorite too. Same with the Prince Charles look.

I wished that when Emma fixed him up she could have given him a little trim. Someone here speculated that maybe he was growing it out for a role as an 80s rocker, but what he's got now is kind of a reverse mullet. They could still keep continuity with a little bit off the top.

I don't mind the hook, but something other than the leather would be nice when he's resurrected. Colin looks pretty good in blue jeans and a light v-neck.

I just like the way Killian moves his hair with his hook. I'm weak y'all.

Regina's learned to appropriately snark this half season. Al though her jab should've been something about how he wears the same thing all damn day.

• Love 1

Well Emma is the one that magically dressed Killian when she healed him. She also gave him a magical shower. Can I just say that it bothered me that the writers didn't even allow for something as normal as a shower? I don't know, but if I'd died, was tortured into a bloody mess, magically healed, I'd still wanna stand under a stream of hot water.

• Love 3

Well Emma is the one that magically dressed Killian when she healed him. She also gave him a magical shower. Can I just say that it bothered me that the writers didn't even allow for something as normal as a shower? I don't know, but if I'd died, was tortured into a bloody mess, magically healed, I'd still wanna stand under a stream of hot water.

He does bathe quite frequently, thank you very much.

• Love 8

And he sweats aftershave!

Shower? I'd want to lie in a bath tub full of bubbles and rubber duckies with my girlfriend until our fingers and toes wrinkle.

Yeah - it's gotten to the point of being very distracting. Especially when out in the elements, it's starting to almost look like a comb-over. I'm sure they could come up with something more attractive. Given the spoiler pics I don't think it will be cut until next season, but I have my fingers crossed that they'll figure out something better to do with it...

Well, I must concede to those who said Killian's rudeness toward some of the characters that came off as ungrateful was out of guilt that they were helping him at all, the recent episode had him come out and say that he feels guilty that Emma's entire family came to the Underworld to save him, since he still feels he doesn't quite deserve it.

Edited by Mathius

Colin's new movie appears to be called "What Still Remains," though I cannot find any info on a movie by that name, so either it's had a name change or it's an indy movie that doesn't show up on production lists. It also appears to involve guns (unless it was just a team-building exercise at a shooting range), so I hope he doesn't die in it, too.

• Love 3

I'm not sure how it might happen, but I'd love it if Hook found out about Milah's fate.

Hook is a complex character, and that's exactly why I love him.

Y'all are gonna hate me for this, but I feel the need to point out that in s7 of BtVS, Spike was able to translate an inscription in Greek. Really, for all of Regina's arrogance, I think Hook had a better, broader education despite all those years of servitude, and that time taught him more about empathy and compassion.

I do hope Hook ( or someone else) saves poor Milah and everybody else from the river of the lost souls.

I do think it is interesting that they decided to give an antagonic relationship between Hook and Regina in season 5. I'm happy he isn't her cheerleader like everbody else, but it is weird that they were somewhat friendly in 3A as fellow ex villains, didn't interact in season 4 and now they seem to dislike each other. Sometimes I think it is because of the SQ X CS thing with some fans.

• Love 4

There was a discussion about Papa Hook in the relationship thread, and I hadn't noticed that Regina, Rumple and Hook all ended up killing their own fathers.  Regina and Rumple got to face their daddies in the Underworld, so would you all have liked to see Hook have closure with his father in "The Brothers Jones" instead of Liam?  I really liked Liam in "Good Form", so I was really looking forward to his return, but the new retcon was a disappointment on several levels.  Could Hook and his father have resulted in the same realization that Hook came to with the Liam episode? 

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, Camera One said:

Could Hook and his father have resulted in the same realization that Hook came to with the Liam episode? 

I don't know. The issue in the Liam episode was that Hook was hating on himself for not living up to what he thought Liam was, then he found out Liam wasn't perfect and he still loved and forgave him, which made him realize he needed to forgive himself. They couldn't have done the same thing with Brennan, since Hook knows his father was a cretin. His father also was pretty understanding and forgiving even as he died, so I'm not sure what Hook would have learned from running into his father in the Underworld.

I think Liam is a more important figure in Hook's life than his father. So, between those two I choose Liam, but if we had the oportunity to see both of them, it could have been very interesting. We all know how Killian struggles with forgiving, forgetting and his self hatred. I believe his father contributed to a lot of these issues. Hook forgiving his father and hear that his father forgave him a long time ago could have resulted in the same realization in a more organic way. I do believe he could have come to that conclusion alone. He was forced to become the dark one (I know Emma had the best of intentions, not discussing it here) for whatever contrived reason he lost the control and became crazy darth Hook. (It appears to me that he was more under Nimue's control than the others, but I know it is debatable.) In the end he recovered his senses and did the right thing. He just needed to forgive himself, everyone else already did it.

He could have discovered that Liam wasn't perfect in a less shocking way. As a Hook fan I would have liked  him to see that are more people besides Emma that love him, his family could do that, and could show him that he changed for the better, and deserves a second chance at a happy ending. It could be an oportunity for him to solve his daddy issues once and for all.

I did enjoy that he learned he shouldn't idolize his loved ones, they are just fallible human beings trying to live their lives the best way they can. Sometimes they get to be selfish, or make a big mistake. He shouldn't try to live up to some stupid ideal, all he has to do is try to be the best version of himself that he can. I just didn't like too much of the execution, (LOL) they didn't have to drag Liam in the mud. As for their father, I get no simpathy for him, he is always nice and gentle when he talks to him, but who knows if he is telling the truth. At least in the UW I could have been more tempted to believe what he says. They could have used it as a way to tell us that Liam 2.0 is living with his maternal uncle, or something, so we don't have to see him again.

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, didia said:

He could have discovered that Liam wasn't perfect in a less shocking way.

Yes!  That's what I wanted to see. I liked the general concept, but hated how the method they chose.

• Love 4

On this show, it really comes down to be careful what you wish for.

I wanted to see who Hook's father was for the longest time because of the last name, and the possible implications of that. Instead, I got nobody, which actually was fine, but he was a nobody who was also a horrible parent, and human being.

Then I know some people really wanted to see Liam back. I didn't care for Liam, I hated the pedestal he was put on, though considering Hook's history, I understand it much better, but they messed up a character that was just fine for whatever their message was.

If anyone wants to see Hook's mother, stop there! She'll be insane, and a child abuser, and that's why Brennan took off with his sons before he decided he preferred to sell them for his freedom.

• Love 5

Nah its worse, she'd be related to Rumple. She'd be one of Emma's dead beat foster mothers who only used her for a check and probably never liked Regina's cooking.

• Love 2

It really was a rare stroke of genius for these authors to have Arthur, Hook's murderer, be his partner for this episode. Hook did all he could to help Emma, but he also ended up helping Arthur, risking his eternal soul and Emma's quest for him and even going so far as to invite Arthur to move on with him. This was even better than partnering Hook with a friend/ally or one of his victims, because Hook really had no reason to help Arthur other than it being the right thing to do. Contrast this with others who went to the Underworld and further hurt people they had already killed once. Good on Arthur for not being as horrible as those people and for helping Hook instead of trying to push him in the River.

I also really like that Hook was prepared to move on after knowing Emma had succeeded, but still wordlessly showed some hesitance as Zeus pushed him forward. I needed for Hook to do all he could to help Emma without the slightest hope that he would see her again but I also didn't want him to be able to move on without her, promise or no.

• Love 14
36 minutes ago, InsertWordHere said:

It really was a rare stroke of genius for these authors to have Arthur, Hook's murderer, be his partner for this episode. Hook did all he could to help Emma, but he also ended up helping Arthur, risking his eternal soul and Emma's quest for him and even going so far as to invite Arthur to move on with him. This was even better than partnering Hook with a friend/ally or one of his victims, because Hook really had no reason to help Arthur other than it being the right thing to do. Contrast this with others who went to the Underworld and further hurt people they had already killed once. Good on Arthur for not being as horrible as those people and for helping Hook instead of trying to push him in the River.

I also really like that Hook was prepared to move on after knowing Emma had succeeded, but still wordlessly showed some hesitance as Zeus pushed him forward. I needed for Hook to do all he could to help Emma without the slightest hope that he would see her again but I also didn't want him to be able to move on without her, promise or no.

Agree. I pretty much loved everything to do with Hook in this episode.

• Love 8

I was thinking of how old Hook would've thrown Arthur in the river because he did kill him and Hook did spend 300 yrs held bent on revenge. That's what I call character development these stupid writers managed to not ruin.

They even managed to redeem Arthur. I still think he's a herp derp but instead of trying to help himself he managed to help Hook help Emma. Also take that Charming. lol

• Love 3