Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E03: ShakesQueer

• Start Topic

Can I say that I adore Ginger even more after the story about the lady in the hospice?  That was amazingly sweet to bring a show to her.

Part of me is upset about Jasmine leaving (that rant about Violet cracked me up, especially "Panties, bitch!", which I will now use forever) and part of me is like, "Sweetie, did you ever watch the damn show?!?!?"  Acting is ALWAYS part of the show so what the hell were she thinking--this is season seven so there is really no excuse to say that you don't know what Ru is looking for.

I don't know how I feel about Pearl--she is gorgeous and I love the talking heads but on stage she just seems so not there in the performances.  

I'm loving the new "Untucked"--the last few years of it on Logo have been so nasty that it was really hard to watch.  

• Love 3

This is by far the worst season yet for me.  The last two weeks, I found the skits not only poorly acted and performed, but also very badly written and choreographed.  They could have chose better Shakespeare plays('a winter's tale' would have been fun)--and Pearl, you probably have seen Macbeth, since it's been turned into so many derivative works.  That's like saying you've never seen Hamlet when you probably watched the Lion King...anyway, Maxx was amazing, definitely deserved her win.

Jaidyn's runway reminded me of Jiggly tonight--not good at all. I'm glad the pathetic, busted Jasmine masters went home; perhaps she should have worn a gown that she could dance in?  The lipsynch wasn't any better then her acting.  I don't know what her talent was supposed to be, but she certainly didn't show it.  Her exit did sound exactly like delta werk.  And Kennedy, wow; don't bother rehearsing, but switch around the parts at the last minute anyway, huh?   Also, maybe try actually getting to know someone and empathize with them before declaring that they haven't been through anything; that's so petty and ageist.

Edited by Glade
  • Love 2

-and Pearl, you probably have seen Macbeth, since it's been turned into so many derivative works. That's like saying you've never seen Hamlet when you probably watched the Lion King...anyway, Maxx was amazing, definitely deserved her win.

I'm going to cut Pearl some slack here, because we don't know her background. Not all junior high schools are reading all of Shakespeare..."Romeo & Juliet" seems to be the "beginner" Shakespeare play...and maybe she didn't go far in high school, or maybe her high school wasn't that great. And if you know nothing of "Macbeth" or what it's about, then you have no point of reference on which to base your interpretation. And you could easily have seen "The Lion King" without knowing there was anything of "Hamlet" in it, if you have no idea of what "Hamlet" is about.

That said, she seems to have shown a strong desire to be here to several of her competitors, but even though her whole shtick seems to be the bored, "over it" queen, she might want to come alive a bit more onstage if she expects Mama Ru to keep her around. Right now, I'm not as impressed as I'd hoped to be.

Edited by Marmiarmo
  • Love 2

I have a deathly latex allergy, so many things in makeup I can't do, but spirit gum and liquid latex are two different things, so I think it may just be a weak excuse for Jasmine saying she couldn't glue anything to her face. It's a shame, too, because you could tell her desperation in bringing out the nicest dress she had in order to try to save herself. Being more clever (like dressing up as Abraham Lincoln) would have served her better, but she's more a pageant queen, and they sometimes how trouble breaking out of the box like that.

I did get a little uncomfortable when it was pointed out that the majority of this year's contestants are skinny white fishy queens and then we had two black queens LSFYLing at the end. I still think Ginger Minge is the one who will win this season, based on the way she's being presented in her talking head confessionals. A little acid, but with a heart of gold, just like Bianca....and Raja. I'm okay with that.

I didn't like Max the first couple of weeks because of the pretentious accent (you're from the midwest! Own that!), but he's been growing on me every time he says something funny. First impressions rarely last on Drag Race.

I want Carson's sweater so much! And Katya's blazer in her confessionals! Together! They'd sear out people's eyes, but I want to wear them together!

I didn't want to be too harsh on her if it legitimately is an allergy, but I was sitting there thinking.  We've seen queens hot glue themselves into their dresses because they wanted this so badly.  All she needed was some sequins or feather boa trimmings and clear nail polish, and she could've done a little sparkly soul patch to match the dress. 

I'm going to cut Pearl some slack here, because we don't know her background. Not all junior high schools are reading all of Shakespeare..."Romeo & Juliet" seems to be the "beginner" Shakespeare play...and maybe she didn't go far in high school, or maybe her high school wasn't that great. And if you know nothing of "Macbeth" or what it's about, then you have no point of reference on which to base your interpretation. And you could easily have seen "The Lion King" without knowing there was anything of "Hamlet" in it, if you have no idea of what "Hamlet" is about.

That said, she seems to have shown a strong desire to be here to several of her competitors, but even though her whole shtick seems to be the bored, "over it" queen, she might want to come alive a bit more onstage if she expects Mama Ru to keep her around. Right now, I'm not as impressed as I'd hoped to be.

It seems to be a thing now to be proud of not having read anything, and to brag about coasting through high school (and even college) thanks to Google and  Sparknotes.  I got the impression from Pearl of being that type.  The ones that post on reddit about "I don't do books."

• Love 3

I no Ru is tired if "all the Goddamn excuses", but Violet & Jasmine should've pointed out that their roles were changed at the last minute.

Not that I really care abt either one, but it was still a major fault in their failings.

• Love 1

I no Ru is tired if "all the Goddamn excuses", but Violet & Jasmine should've pointed out that their roles were changed at the last minute.

Was it, really, though? It looks to me like the group did a kind of initial table read, at the end of which Kennedy decided on the switch. Of course editing compresses everything, but it really didn't seem like a situation whereby, say, Violet and Jasmine memorized all their lines and then were asked to change places. I wasn't sure where all the "last minute last minute last minute" characterizations were coming from -- seemed less 11th hour, and more like, 2nd hour.

Edited by Corgi-ears
  • Love 3

Marmiarmo, I was also trying to cut Pearl some slack with my comment, I like Pearl, I'm just saying she probably was familiar with the archetypes.  I studied shakespeare at college, but I don't care or judge who reads it.

Edited by Glade

For me, it's not about judging if you read Shakespeare or being a literary snob. It's about being ignorant of common knowledge type things. I don't care if you've never read Shakespeare but you've never even heard of MacBeth? There are lots of books/movies I've never read/seen but I still know of their existence (for example, I've never seen Citizen Kane but I know that Orson Welles was in it and that Rosebud was a sled). It's not like MacBeth is this obscure play that only academics know about. Again, I'm not saying he is stupid for not being able to give a detailed description of the plot. I was just genuinely surprised that he had no knowledge that MacBeth existed. When the production people told him the name of the play, there was no sign of recognition at all.

• Love 6

I don't fault Pearl for not knowing about Macbeth as much as I hate that she doesn't give a shit. Adore was ignorant but ready, willing and able to learn.

Yes, the queens should know how to sew, and they should know who Diana Ross is. But most of all, they should have a thirst for knowledge. That's why I prefer queens with a retro esthetic—they've obviously studied herstory—over pageant queens.

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 6

I don't fault Pearl for not knowing about MacBeth as much as I hate that she doesn't give a shit. Adore was ignorant but ready, willing and able to learn.

Exactly! Not only should you be willing to learn, but you should not scoff at queens who are able to draw on cultural markers that you were not familiar with (*cough* Roxxie and Coco). RuPaul has a vast cultural recall, and she can and will school you on your ignorance. I do wonder if Pearl's putting us all on though.

• Love 2

I feel sorry for Ms Kasha Davis's ex-wife. Nobody wants their hooha described that way, lol.

IKR?!  As a female myself I was taken back by this as well.  I really do like MKD & I've meet older queens similar to her (older gay men that have dated/slept with/married women I mean) that say things like this but don't mean it as a read or disrespectful they are simply saying.......it's as if they either A. Don't realize it could be a sensitive subject to her (all women are different about that) or B. they do realize it's sensitive and want to break any taboos by just coming out & talking about it. 

I'm well-read and fairly intelligent, but I have never really cared for Shakespeare, so I don't read it.

What surprised me about Pearl is that she said she never has even heard of Macbeth before much less read it.  Huh.  To me Shakespeare isn't something you would go out and read on your own, it's required reading.  When I was in the 10th or 11th grade it was required of us to read it and do some sort of report on it.  Now true most of us read cliff notes and just went with that but for Pearl to never have even heard of that play....odd.

And I hate saying it like that because I do generally like Pearl, her behavior in Untucked is winning me over. 

• Love 1

Not that I like Pearl, but a minor note:

Macbeth left the school norm between 2002 to 2008.  A lot of major textbook companies changed it up.  Modernly, it's not unusual to see:

-Midsummer Night's Dream in Junior High (maybe)

-Romeo and Juliet is 9th Grade

-Julius Caesar is 10th Grade

-Hamlet is 11th Grade

-Othello is 12th Grade

It's actually strangely rare to encounter Macbeth... and I say this as someone who has been tasked with getting Shakespeare into Junior High.

• Love 1

Macbeth left the school norm between 2002 to 2008.  A lot of major textbook companies changed it up.  Modernly, it's not unusual to see:

-Hamlet is 11th Grade

-Othello is 12th Grade

It's actually strangely rare to encounter Macbeth... and I say this as someone who has been tasked with getting Shakespeare into Junior High.

I don't think the issue is that he'd never read it, though. I love Shakespeare, and there are many plays of his I've never read - including some of the "big" ones.

The issue is never having heard of it, and having the reaction of, "Eh, like I care."

Especially when you make yourself out to be a sophisticated New Yorker, and you perform on stage for a living.

Edited by Blakeston
  • Love 6

Thanks for the T Azgard, I didn't know that.

Can we talk about Jasmine & Violet a minute.  I don't know if this has been mentioned or not but dang didn't it seem like Jasmine was flying off the handle with her comments about Violet at the beginning of the episode?  Calling someone a horse face such & such isn't a read (reads are suppose to be funny) this was just plain MEAN.  I get that Violet can be annoying but dang huney you coming across as some bitter ole' cow with those comments.  If she has done something or said something to her personally I maybe could understand the hate but to simply just call someone that just because she's getting on your nerves, wow.   Bitter Old Queens indeed.  To quote Michelle Visage "No."

Edited by Dirtybubble
  • Love 3

Can we talk about Jasmine & Violet a minute.  I don't know if this has been mentioned or not but dang didn't it seem like Jasmine was flying off the handle with her comments about Violet at the beginning of the episode?  Calling someone a horse face such & such isn't a read (reads are suppose to be funny) this was just plain MEAN.

I immediately started shouting "Halleloo!" because I recognized Jasmine was getting "the loser edit." And I am usually the last one to notice such things, so the editing monkeys must've been laying it on pretty thick.

Then again, I totally caught when they had Sasha Belle boast that she'd cracked the Drag Race code. I know I'm not getting any smarter, so the editing must be especially anvilicious this season.

• Love 1

I've been looking up Pearl videos on Youtube lately, and just to add to the context of her comment: in an interview, she said she left high school at around 16 and went to hair school. She presented it as a good choice - said something like, so when all my friends were in high school, I was out making all the money. But I was sad for her, because I figure there is a lot to that story and also that I think it is pretty hard to make it in the long term with no education. Now, that doesn't mean she shouldn't want to learn, but then again, I saw her reaction as more of a defense mechanism than a true reaction. I imagine the incredulous face of the interviewer and Pearl reacting to that.

I would post the link, but I have been looking around in my history for a while now and I cannot find it.

While I thought she didn't sell her character very well, I did enjoy watching Pearl during the play, especially when she was in the background running into things.

I feel sorry for Ms Kasha Davis's ex-wife. Nobody wants their hooha described that way, lol.

I thought what MKD said about his ex was really distasteful and uncalled for. Why say something like that when the cameras are rolling, something so private about a person? It just made her (MKD, that is) look like a garden variety asshole. Did not like.

Edited by micat
  • Love 3

I don't fault Pearl for not knowing about MacBeth as much as I hate that she doesn't give a shit. Adore was ignorant but ready, willing and able to learn.

Yes, the queens should know how to sew, and they should know who Diana Ross is. But most of all, they should have a thirst for knowledge. That's why I prefer queens with a retro esthetic—they've obviously studied herstory—over pageant queens.

BINGO!!! I can defend ignorance (Adore), as long as there is a drive and an openness and thirst to learn. Pearl shows me none of that. It's possible she WAS feeling defensive about her lack of knowledge, but she has no humor about it--which Adore had in spades--so she comes off as just "above it all", which Pearl?! You're not.

• Love 3

BINGO!!! I can defend ignorance (Adore), as long as there is a drive and an openness and thirst to learn. Pearl shows me none of that. It's possible she WAS feeling defensive about her lack of knowledge, but she has no humor about it--which Adore had in spades--so she comes off as just "above it all", which Pearl?! You're not.

Surprisingly (or not), Pearl is being celebrated for her ignorance in some circles. The highlight of this episode for many of them was Pearl accidently bumping into a tree (seriously - it gave them life). I have been called a c**t, a tw*t, pretentious and several other slurs for not participating in their enthusiasm. Needless to say, I've chosen to leave that site to the children.

Edited by SteveAC10
  • Love 3

Surprisingly (or not), Pearl is being celebrated for her ignorance in some circles. The highlight of this episode for many of them was Pearl accidently bumping into a tree (seriously - it gave them life). I have been called a c**t, a tw*t, pretentious and several other slurs for not participating in their enthusiasm. Needless to say, I've chosen to leave that site to the children.

LMAO!!  Gurl I know what site you're talking about.  If that gave them life then they don't have much of a life.  *shakes head sadly*

• Love 2

If that gave them life then they don't have much of a life.

Lemmings rarely do. At least not until summer break (whenever that is in Uzbekistan - because besides stanning for Pearl, their biggest preoccupation is getting illegal links to this week's episode because they actually haven't seen it yet).

Edited by SteveAC10
  • Love 1

First time I ever heard of Macbeth was reading Little Women. They mention that they would do the play if they had a "trapdoor for Banquo." Macbeth is such a fun play because there are witches and murders and surprises like the forest and "born of woman." and people going crazy!

And when I read the play, every speech was familiar. I think it's quoted more than Hamlet. I just feel sad for people who don't have a clue.

• Love 5

Its funny that the conversation here mirrors the conversation being had among the older queens about the younger queens.  In younger generations, there *is* sometimes a push-back against just accepting the best things from the previous generations (and older) as being valid and worthy.  True, this discards some of the experience and wisdom I believe to be vital in education, but there is an authentic desire to find things out for oneself.  Under that light, Macbeth- to me- could be obscure to a young person (and Little Women moreso).  That said, we're all individuals here who choose to take time out of our days to discuss the merits and character from a television show in complete sentences...

I guess my thought is that it's going to be interesting to see the progression of Pearl through this season- or more importantly- the perception.

I don't see someone disinterested or bored, but it's been brought up through the show, the boards and in Untucked.  Like I believe Pearl said: "Resting bitch face."  Only this is more of a case of resting I-don't-care face.

(I'm not a Pearl fan.  Just to be clear.)

Edited by Azgard12
  • Love 4

I am a Pearl fan, and I'd just like to request that we stick to discussing the queen herself, not insulting her entire fanbase. Thanks.

I immediately started shouting "Halleloo!" because I recognized Jasmine was getting "the loser edit." And I am usually the last one to notice such things, so the editing monkeys must've been laying it on pretty thick.

Then again, I totally caught when they had Sasha Belle boast that she'd cracked the Drag Race code. I know I'm not getting any smarter, so the editing must be especially anvilicious this season.

Yeah, I'm noticing this as well, they're not being particularly subtle with the loser edits this year. Even in the preview for next week, it seems like the same thing might be happening again.

But regarding the edit, I do appreciate that there seems to be less manufactured drama this year. Last year they seemed to be trying really, really hard to turn Darienne (and to a lesser extent Courtney) into a villain, but I guess since there's actual drama this year they don't need to fake it. Even Violet comes across as somewhat sympathetic at times, despite being given the bitch edit.

• Love 2

I've gotten that sense a bit elsewhere, and also suspect that the Pearl stans would be less stannish about the flat affect and apathy if Pearl out of drag looked more like Jinkx out of drag. I think that's the part that bugs me. (And no, I didn't find the shenanigans with the scenery particularly inspiring either.) 

(Not an ageist thing either--I was desperately torn between Adore and Bianca to the bitter end. Hell, I fell in love with Adore from the first MTQ. I just don't want my contestants to pretend to be 'over it' unless they are Willam and have a grasp on exactly what is is they think they're over.)

• Love 4

But regarding the edit, I do appreciate that there seems to be less manufactured drama this year. Last year they seemed to be trying really, really hard to turn Darienne (and to a lesser extent Courtney) into a villain, but I guess since there's actual drama this year they don't need to fake it. Even Violet comes across as somewhat sympathetic at times, despite being given the bitch edit.

I'd say that is because last season the only real drama they had was Laganja(and to a lesser extent Gia being a shit stirrer in the early season). This season there are definite cliques forming with drama coming from conflict between cliques and also from the outsiders of the cliques(Violet being the biggest one getting a sandy vagina about being a outsider).

• Love 2

-Hamlet is 11th Grade

-Othello is 12th Grade

I think the only Shakespeare I had in middle school was the sonnets. In 9th grade we did Romeo & Juliet AND Midsummers Night's Dream (our theater department did Midsummer Night's Dream that year so that's why we learned it as well). In 10th grade we did Julius Ceasar. In 11th grade we did Hamlet and in 12th grade we did MacBeth and Henry V. I was on the cusp of when my school district shifted Shakespeare from only the first two years of high school to the last two years of high school... so I got it all four years. Not that I minded. I loved it. Then I went to college and took more courses on Shakespeare.

The thing is, Pearl's lackadaisical tone makes me question if she really doesn't care. It's hard to read that tone sometimes. Whether or not she gives a shit about knowing what MacBeth is I can't buy she hasn't heard something of it somewhere. Lady MacBeth is iconic and still used as a slur for a conniving woman. "Double double toil and trouble; fire burn and cauldron bubble..." that shit's everywhere! I know I'm not the only person who says 'Lead on, MacDuff!' when going somewhere with others. (Or has it said to me when I'm taking someone someplace.) "Out, out damned spot!" is part of the lexicon.

I don't expect people to know about the prophecy of MacBeth being defeated by a man not borne of woman. (Cesarian! Woo! Loophole!) Or Birnam Forest walking up to the castle or even who the hell Banquo is... but there's too much of MacBeth in various parts of the culture to believe she hasn't come across it in some way.

Edited by Dandesun
  • Love 1

"Double double toil and trouble; fire burn and cauldron bubble..." that shit's everywhere! I know I'm not the only person who says 'Lead on, MacDuff!' when going somewhere with others. (Or has it said to me when I'm taking someone someplace.) "Out, out damned spot!" is part of the lexicon.

I quote Mortal Kombat far more than I should ("Get over here!" and "Finish him!" being among the most common).

Doesn't mean I judge people who wouldn't get my dated in-jokes.  I wouldn't think anything of it had nobody known what I was talking about- though it's been in mainstream pop-nerd culture for a while.  And at least in this case dated is within the past 30 years

My argument here is the majority seems to argue that Pearl is uneducated based on several points:

1) Macbeth MATTERS even though it's old and out of the modern mainstream

2) Macbeth is quoted... though many probably think those quotes are from the Bible or Ben Franklin...

3) Knowing Macbeth determines something about your character and integrity?

I dunno.  For being in such a maligned and judged crowd, I'm surprised at how quickly people are to find other ways to judge and demean people... be it ageism, racism... or just not understanding that everyone isn't born with the world at their feet... even when it comes to educational opportunities.  From that, I can understand having a jaded or "lackadaisical" outlook toward the experience of being "educated".

Edited by Azgard12

Well, "judged and "demeaned" is taking it a little far. The attitude that because you don't know it means it's not worth knowing -- can't help judging that.

True.

I realize RPDR is in many ways about judging and reads.  I just think this whole X = intelligence is kind of analogous to X (skinny) = beautiful or X (straight) = normal... and a lot of other similar struggles.  As I've abundantly pointed out- I'm not rooting for Pearl.  Just the reasons people are against her are as pernicious as those touted against the community as a whole.

• Love 1

Lady MacBeth is iconic and still used as a slur for a conniving woman

To this day every time I see Penny Johnson Jerald as the chief on Castle I still think of her as Lady MacPalmer, the name she was given on TWOP when she played Sherry Palmer, the oh-so-evil wife of the noble President Palmer.  Even though originally I thought of her as Captain Sisko's starship captain girlfriend on Deep Space Nine. Even on a famously literate site like TWOP (and this one) a nickname doesn't catch on unless the cultural reference is something you don't have to be an English major to understand.   So I understand never having read the play, but surely you must have some vague plot awareness of it.

Myself, I played Lady MacBeth in eighth grade -not because I was anything close to being the best actress in the class - but because I could recite the dialogue without stumbling and I could memorize long speeches. Shakespeare really is great, but unfortunately his English becomes more and more remote as the years roll by.

Glad Jaidyn Dior Fierce is still here, despite her panic attack during the skit. She makes me laugh. Love Max's costume and think she deserved the win. Pearl is adorable as a boy, not so much as a drag queen though. Jasmine Masters deserved to go this episode. Her acting in the skit was truly horrendous and the gown she wore looked like something a bad Diana Ross impersonator would wear circa 1982 in a low-rent Reno Nevada casino revue. I think they are setting up Violet as the bitch of the season. I don't think Miss Fame will be around much longer either. Ginger Minj for the win!

Edited by Mattipoo

I played Banquo in a high school English class where we broke the play up into scenes. My friend's brother (who grew up to be the Dad on some Disney show), got me a fake blood bag for the stabbing scene. I then haunted the banquet scene dripping fake blood all over the floor of the classroom. Ah, the memories.

Anyway, I just rewatched the episode and I have to say that this might be my favorite runway challenge of all time. I still can't get over how much I liked most of them.

• Love 2

Ginger Minj for the win!

Part of me feels that way as well - but then....Max, who is a true original. Well, then there's Katya whose twitter and youtube channels are both wildly creative and funny as hell! Unfortunately she kind of got lost in the background this week. She and Ginger have by far the most entertaining talking heads. Katya's RuFlection on episode 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvxAJTRE9JA

• Love 2

Part of me feels that way as well - but then....Max, who is a true original. Well, then there's Katya whose twitter and youtube channels are both wildly creative and funny as hell! Unfortunately she kind of got lost in the background this week. She and Ginger have by far the most entertaining talking heads. Katya's RuFlection on episode 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvxAJTRE9JA

I am finding that Max and Katya have the acting/performing chops similar to Ginger but they have much better style. Ginger's looks on the runway have all been  to quote Michelle Visage,  "MEH!".

Not to mention that both Empire and Pretty Little Liars both had episodes called "Out Damned Spot" last month.

"Something wicked this way comes"

"A tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

"all my babies? all my pretty ones?"

"screw your courage to the sticking point"

Nothing inaccessible.

I may be going a bit soft but I am starting to feel sorry for Violet.  Yes, she is a bit annoying but her getting picked last for everything is making her very snotty.  I don't like the fact that she is routinely picked last.

IA planetofapes.  Violet is getting picked on in general and for specific things like her Barbie g string and ass.  An ass like that doesn't need panties.  If I had a body like Violet's I'd probably never put clothes on.   I think jealousy is fueling a lot of the trash talk.  Lucky for Violet Ru seems to like her asthetic.  She's giving a young January Jones/Betty Draper and Ru said he liked the "Dior silhouette" of her runway look.  I thought her Lady MacBitch was maybe nothing special but at least she knew her lines and cues and her hair and make up were on point as usual.

That said, I was blown away by how awful the queens were in this acting challenge.  There wasn't one of them who stood out to me in the least.  Latrice from the Tuckahoe women's prison sketch,  JInkxxx or Ben De laCreme?  I'm still waiting to see the break out personality of this season.

• Love 1

Violet is getting picked on in general and for specific things like her Barbie g string and ass.  An ass like that doesn't need panties.  If I had a body like Violet's I'd probably never put clothes on.   I think jealousy is fueling a lot of the trash talk.

Eh, Violet doesn't shut up about his waist size and has made numerous digs at other queens about their appearance, including in his first meeting with them, which totally makes his own body a ripe arena for shade. But then i'm not sure what there is to be jealous about there, Violet has one of the grossest looking bodies ever on the show IMO, as my brother put it when he came out on the nude runway "I didn't know they were doing a Schindler's List challenge".

• Love 3

I'm not judging or demeaning anyone for not knowing MacBeth... I just don't buy it. It's like most people would probably look blank if you asked them about Der Ring des Nibilungen but if you sing 'Kill the Wabbit' they'll know exactly what you mean. People know more opera and Shakespeare than they think they do, that's all. Pearl's bit was a talking head moment. I'm just thinking if you sat down and talked about some of the things in it, she'd know them.

Anyhoo... Violet's getting the Treatment from the other queens... well... she seems to have that stank 'I'm prettier than you' attitude. The thing is, she isn't floundering but she has already established that if she's on your team you're going to get a lot of lip from her. And probably the most infuriating thing about her participation in ShakesQueer was that she was right about running lines together. Insufferable! (At least it appeared as much to Kennedy!) And, seriously, Violet could have suggested they run lines until she actually turned violet (my sister constantly references that line when she's on. "You're turning violet, Violet!") and Kennedy would. not. have. listened. That's just a fact so Kennedy putting that on Violet was straight up bullshit.

All that aside, I really did like the runway challenge. It was so different and there are plenty of queens out there that live for that genderfuck style that are just amazing. Katya, Max and Pearl had the wittiest looks. Trixie's was just lush and beautiful. Kandy's was ambitious but her beard got lost against her dress... and you couldn't see her mouth at all!

And Mrs, Kasha Davis saying that wearing the fake beards was what it felt like to stick your chin in a vagina made me laugh louder than I expected. So MKD was married... that's not an unusual experience for many gays out there. My friends live in Ohio and the majority of their friend went through the married with kids period before coming out. I know that Tyra Sanchez had a kid but I don't think we've had much representation in the Drag Race queens from those that have been married in the 'heteronormative' sense before. (I think it IS sweet that Miss Fame is married. We are in that generation as well and it's cool to see.)

• Love 2

From what I've seen on Kasha's You Tube channel Mr. Davis (as he goes by in the vids) is a total sweetheart.

LoL--well he's not gonna be a dam jackass on a youtube video; most of these videos are done to boost popularity and get chatter going about the queen.  (And so the fans will remember their asses) tee hee hee.  I like MKD as well but I have yet to see the Mr. & Mrs. Davis videos.  I try not to O.D. on a queen to quickly as I did with Bianca last season.

As far as Violet goes, enh it's difficult to say who's right & who is wrong in this situation.  Yeah Jasmine came off as a jealous ole cow & she shouldn't have said those things regardless but we aren't in the workroom with any of these queens all this time.  One of the previous season queens said a day shooting is like 12 to 14 hours.  That is A LOT of friggin time with someone, so who knows if Violet behaves this way all the time (oof if she does) or is it for the cameras *shrugs*.

UNTUCKED:  so I wanted to ask you guys if you've gotten used to the new set or not?  How do you like the format?  Is it more real for ya?  Enh, I'm ok with Untucked not being in a decorated lounge but DANG I still miss the pink boxes and sappy home videos.  I get that this new version is more real but if real is showing these nasty, mean ass queens then I don't think I wanna see that.  I like fun, happy, silly, and yeah sassy queens.  Let me say this, the reason I liked the pink box challenges and home videos is because it seemed to give the queens a distraction for the nastiness that can occur and let them do something fun....fun silly things that come from the pink box, while staged, were a way to show maybe a more playful side of the queens and who doesn't love a sappy (and yeah that could be stagged too but) lovey-dovey video from home?  Season 3's Untucked had to be one of the meanest & just UGH I-can't-stand-these-hos type of situations.  The added stuff in S4, 5 , & 6 took away the nastiness and relaxed the queens I thought a bit.  Now, without those distractions, and a more "raw" edit...IDK we're just seeing some meaness come out.  It's only the 3rd episode so who knows what's in store but I still am just not loving this.

• Love 2

True.

I realize RPDR is in many ways about judging and reads.  I just think this whole X = intelligence is kind of analogous to X (skinny) = beautiful or X (straight) = normal... and a lot of other similar struggles.  As I've abundantly pointed out- I'm not rooting for Pearl.  Just the reasons people are against her are as pernicious as those touted against the community as a whole.

Criticizing someone for being proudly ignorant is not even remotely comparable to homophobia.

• Love 8

Criticizing someone for being proudly ignorant is not even remotely comparable to homophobia.

Or fat shaming, teasing the disadvantaged or anything of the like. But being proud of being ignorant is making a willful choice to remain uninformed. As I've always said the only people I cannot tolerate are ignorant people who either celebrate their own ignorance or denigrate the knowledge of others.

• Love 5
I'm not judging or demeaning anyone for not knowing MacBeth

I thought the kerfuffle was not knowing about MacBeth.  I've never read the Scottish play, but I certainly knew it existed by the time I made it out of high school.  I suspect part of the surprise is that someone who's interested in the performing arts would presumably have more acquaintance with the works of a major playwright.

• Love 3

I thought the kerfuffle was not knowing about MacBeth. I've never read the Scottish play, but I certainly knew it existed by the time I made it out of high school. I suspect part of the surprise is that someone who's interested in the performing arts would presumably have more acquaintance with the works of a major playwright.

I'm always struck by the fact that the chefs on Top Chef recognize and know the work of the guest chefs, who are usually completely unknown to this viewer, while the dimwits on ANTM are stymied by the names of major designers, some of whom are household names, IMO. It's your field!

Edited by SFoster21
  • Love 3

It's your field!

Truly! Drag is a performance art - and with the possible exeption of old school balls, which really were about the marginalized making the traditional runway their own (and even then you had to get what the specific "realness" was). But in that case, most of the audience were also the performers. It was like a chess tournament, only fabulous.Most drag today is more like theater and cabaret.  As Ru would say - you have to know the herstory to get it right. Whether or not the acronym drag came from the Elizabethan age - drag does originate from from the tradition of men playing women on the stage. The lack of curiousness about the past by many baffles me. Names like Duse, Farrar, Pickford, and any Barrymore not named Drew are all familiar to me (and I am deliberately not going for low hanging fruit like Mr. Shakepeare) - yet all were dead, or at least long retired well before I was born. Full disclosure: I was born into a working class family and went to public school in a less than affluent school district. Yet somehow, my world did not begin with Raiders of the Lost Ark and Madonna's first album.

Edited by SteveAC10
  • Love 4

I thought the kerfuffle was not knowing about MacBeth.  I've never read the Scottish play, but I certainly knew it existed by the time I made it out of high school.  I suspect part of the surprise is that someone who's interested in the performing arts would presumably have more acquaintance with the works of a major playwright.

Well, again, I don't necessarily believe that she doesn't know MacBeth. Maybe she doesn't know the name or how it correlates to various things she does know.