Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, sagittarius sue said:

My mother chose my bedroom set when I was about 11, and I don't think I would've chosen white French Provincial myself.  I think it was a popular choice in the early 60s.  I did appreciate having a double bed and nice dresser with a big mirror.  It stood the test of time as my younger sister used it herself and for her daughters at least until at least 2000.

I had white and gold furniture,  so did my best friend and the girl I babysat for. I think it just the style. I would have preferred something else but they paid for it! 

• Like 5
15 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

I believe last time she mentioned her parents was in July. That’s a long time in Jill land.

The last time Ma and Pa lived in the barndo, Jill and David managed to be on a mission-vacation almost the entire time. Kaylee, who I believe was newly pregnant, took care of Ma and probably waited on Pa too. Jill came back to paint her nails and curl her hair. 

While I'm sure Jill loves her mother and father, I don't think she necessarily wants the responsibility of taking care of them, even if she has her daughters do most of the hard work. Moving the boys back into their room and decorating it doesn't look like Jill is readying the barndo for a long visit from her parents. 

• Like 12
1 hour ago, Salacious Kitty said:

It's been deleted now, but Phillip wrote and performed a really bad song at the church. The lyrics were painful. It's worse than Jill's sin song. 

Someone on FJ got screenshots of the lyrics before they were taken down, sorry too many to c/p here.

I still see the video with Phillip. It's part of the Sunday morning servive video on the Church's facebook page. 

The video with the introductions and the family singing has been deleted though. Too many snarky comments under it I guess. 

• LOL 10
11 hours ago, ginger90 said:

639CE474-CD0D-44EF-8160-2E733711E0E2.jpeg

Hard to read the Bible or anything else in that chair. It’s in the middle of a pile of clutter (of course) and is just not structurally meant for reading.

Also the decorative pillow is creeping me out. This is my happy place… because it’s where my thoughts go to die and if I can’t have thoughts I can’t realize I’m trapped and hopeless. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 6

My son is also just starting his sophomore year in college. It never occurred to me that he might “forget” us if I didn’t hang an enormous family portrait on his dorm wall. Of course I am a terrible mother who let my kid go to a college where everyone needs saved according to Jill. On the other hand, he needed a real education and a whole lot of hard work to get in. 🍀

• Like 19
49 minutes ago, all fall down said:

I still see the video with Phillip. It's part of the Sunday morning servive video on the Church's facebook page. 

The video with the introductions and the family singing has been deleted though. Too many snarky comments under it I guess. 

I listened to Phillip's song. The kid can't sing, he can't write music, but he CAN whistle. There was something about a mold for Hungary that had me scratching my head. The way he writes demonstrates his lack of reading comprehension. He puts words together that make absolutely no sense. 

• Like 5
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 5

That bedroom is so bad. Half of it looks like Arnold & Willis’ Diff’rent Strokes room and the other half looks like a 3-star hotel lobby bathroom. I thought the gray dresser was a bathroom vanity at first. And why is the picture frame hanging so far from the dresser? Where is Phillip supposed to sleep when he comes home for breaks?

Edited by charmed1
  • Like 2
  • LOL 8
31 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I listened to Phillip's song. The kid can't sing, he can't write music, but he CAN whistle. There was something about a mold for Hungary that had me scratching my head. The way he writes demonstrates his lack of reading comprehension. He puts words together that make absolutely no sense. 

And the way he counts himself in on every verse. So odd. 

Did he accidentally hear The Ramones "1, 2, 3, 4!"  hahaha. 

• LOL 7

Yes, every line is a more accurte description than every verse. It's almost like the counting became their own lines he did it so often. 

As more and more of the kids become adults, it just becomes more apparent how dismal their education/upbringing has been. The boys were given no chance of success. 

• Like 9
  • Sad 9
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Panopticon said:

Hard to read the Bible or anything else in that chair. It’s in the middle of a pile of clutter (of course) and is just not structurally meant for reading.

Also the decorative pillow is creeping me out. This is my happy place… because it’s where my thoughts go to die and if I can’t have thoughts I can’t realize I’m trapped and hopeless. 

I keep seeing that heavy duty electrical cord running behind the Happy Place chair up to the middle-of-the-wall outlet. I wonder what it's connected to. I also wonder if Hunk's electrical work is up to the job of powering anything more demanding than a small table fan. 

Ugh. I'm starting to get ads for table runners in busy prints. 

• LOL 12
8 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

I keep seeing that heavy duty electrical cord running behind the Happy Place chair up to the middle-of-the-wall outlet. I wonder what it's connected to. I also wonder if Hunk's electrical work is up to the job of powering anything more demanding than a small table fan. 

Ugh. I'm starting to get ads for table runners in busy prints. 

There is a portable ac unit to the left of the dresser. The girls must have one in their room as well. So 4 portable ac units, maybe 5 if the upstairs attic also has one, a window ac unit, all those freaking lights and lamps they seem to have on all the time and 2 maps are all running on the superior wiring of handy man hunk and his crew of teenage boys.😬

• Mind Blown 7
  • Sad 4

I wonder if they pulled any permits for all that wonderful electrical work and plumbing that her Masterful Headship performed when they remodeled the barndo not long after they bought it. Their county has building codes covering that stuff, requiring permits, inspections, and sign-off by the county.

I doubt they bothered for that  remodeling work, but I've wondered about the addition they later contracted with some Amish folks to build for them. Would their contractor have obtained the required permits for that work, if only to stay out of trouble with the county if they have a construction/remodeling business? 

• Like 7

I don't recall jill saying permits were attained but she did say the renovations passed with "flying colors".

The Amish builders probably pulled a permit for framing and it would have passed inspection. Dave and the boys did the electrical and flooring so probably no permit.

A good image of Dave or Samuel's carpentry skilz is on display in the finish framing of the boys bedroom window. It is so bad. That window was unframed when they bought the place.

• Like 6
  • Sad 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2

David's electrical work looks pretty sloppy too.

How do they manage all those air conditioners? Maybe the Rodlets have to take turns depending on which units BME and DBD are using. Electricity follows the same rules as eating. David dips up first, Jill second, and the rest just sit and hope. 

Edited by BradandJanet
  • Like 4
  • Sad 6
50 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

There is a portable ac unit to the left of the dresser. The girls must have one in their room as well. So 4 portable ac units, maybe 5 if the upstairs attic also has one, a window ac unit, all those freaking lights and lamps they seem to have on all the time and 2 maps are all running on the superior wiring of handy man hunk and his crew of teenage boys.😬

And imagine their electric bill!

16 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

David's electrical work looks pretty sloppy too.

How do they manage all those air conditioners? Maybe the Rodlets have to take turns depending on which units BME and DBD are using. Electricity follows the same rules as eating. David dips up first, Jill second, and the rest just sit and hope. 

And hot water usage. 

• Like 8
1 hour ago, oliviabenson said:

Do they even have a portable dvd player to watch movies? 

The dvd player is in the cabinet under the map in the big room. It's probably the same one that was in Jill's closet. 

7 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

I wonder if Dave puts outlets up so high because he's uncomfortable working at ground level? Wouldn't surprise me!

I thought maybe it was to keep the little kids from poking stuff into the holes in the outlets since nobody really supervises children in that house. However, your theory makes more sense. 

• Like 6
33 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

I wonder if Dave puts outlets up so high because he's uncomfortable working at ground level? Wouldn't surprise me!

Where I used to live, apparently the distance of the outlets from the floor was dependent on how far the electrician could bend over, within reason.  Some guys could bend to install an outlet a foot from the floor, others two feet.  Some skinny guys would put them near the 5 inch baseboards.  It really did vary depending who was hired to install the plugs.  I'm not sure about the rules where I live now, but all of my plugs (in a new build) are about 2 feet off the floor.  At least they are all the same height.  I don't know if there is an actual code here or not, but as long as they are all the same I don't mind.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
46 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

He probably sits in a chair while doing “electrical work”

Only work he does besides “working” in the print shop

• LOL 5

I forgot to mention that while I waited for Phillip to sing, I was subjected to some preaching and general remarks from the old dude in the chair. He read a Psalm and made it a screed on evolution. 

Then he talked about the school. After introducing Phillip, he said they had 8 students this year. I don't know if that counts whoever hasn't yet arrived from the Philippines. But that's not returning students. It's 8 TOTAL. I read on the school's horrible website that they have had 400 students in 40 years. So that's an average of 10 graduates a year? What king of place is this? It certainly doesn't seem academically based. Phillip's credits from Massillion likely made absolutely zero difference. 

• Mind Blown 19
5 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I forgot to mention that while I waited for Phillip to sing, I was subjected to some preaching and general remarks from the old dude in the chair. He read a Psalm and made it a screed on evolution. 

Then he talked about the school. After introducing Phillip, he said they had 8 students this year. I don't know if that counts whoever hasn't yet arrived from the Philippines. But that's not returning students. It's 8 TOTAL. I read on the school's horrible website that they have had 400 students in 40 years. So that's an average of 10 graduates a year? What king of place is this? It certainly doesn't seem academically based. Phillip's credits from Massillion likely made absolutely zero difference. 

Was that the same old guy who said he would make sure Phillip was fed, and also keep him safe from the Filipino girls? 😳😳😳 Whatever the hell THAT means!

• Mind Blown 14
7 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

So then Phillip most likely got the dorm room to himself. 

Depends on how big the dorms are, I guess. 

The way Jill set up the bookshelf made it look like a divider, so I'm guessing one more guy.

Edited by Salacious Kitty
  • Like 4
  • Useful 2
8 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Depends on how big the dorms are, I guess. 

The way Jill set up the bookshelf made it look like a divider, so I'm guessing one more guy.

Are girls even allowed at this "school"?  How much socialization can there be with only 10 students?  This sounds like deliberate isolation--or a cult.  I hope he gets real food.

• Like 14
2 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

Are girls even allowed at this "school"?  How much socialization can there be with only 10 students?  This sounds like deliberate isolation--or a cult.  I hope he gets real food.

Women are allowed to attend. They have 2 dorm buildings. 1 for men and 1 for women.

• Mind Blown 2
  • Useful 1

There's a picture of a mixed choir. But I have no clue how old the picture is. It does seem to be co-ed though. But if all they're doing is praying, going to services daily (yes daily), and soul winning, not a lot of opportunities for socializing. Maybe if there's still a choir someone can give Phillip some singing lessons. His ear is horrible.

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
1 hour ago, beckie said:

They sure didn't proofread their flyer, or whatever that is with the info. I spotted at least one typo before I stopped reading. 

Somebody teaches the English grammar course the Christian Education students are required to take. You'd think that person would want to proofread the school's website. Of course, that person probably wrote it. 

A graduate thesis is require at the "Masteral Level." My head hurts just typing that.  

While Massillon was not much of a school, at least it appeared to be somewhat  organized, and the students got some practical advice and pizza parties. Old dude in the chair (thanks @Salacious Kitty) is just going to repeat the same rants Phillip has heard all his life. 

Phillip, your parents have done you wrong on so many levels. Now they've dumped you in an adult Bible camp because it's free. The Plexus cruise in November will end up costing BME and DBD more than another year at Massillon would have. 

• Like 19
  • Sad 3
20 hours ago, all fall down said:

I may have written one of the snarky comments of the Rodlets introducing themselves and "singing".   ;)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, BetyBee said:

Most of the outlets were the 3' -4' off tne floor height when they bought the barndo. I think that is possibly standard code height for garages, pole barns, sheds etc. The barndo was most likely originally wired for inspection as one large empty pole barn. The previous owner added the kitchen, bedroom and bath and didn't change it and neither did master electrician dave.

• Useful 7
  • LOL 1
3 hours ago, satrunrose said:

I love how they misspelled gospel (hospel) in the second line. 

It's also a little unclear, they say the undergraduate part is for men, but the "ladies" (siiiiigh) masters program says it follows the undergraduate part.

There are two "majors" at the undergraduate level. The Pastoral Theology major is only for men. The Christian Education major is open to men and women.

• Like 1
  • Useful 5