Type keyword(s) to search

Tennis Thread

cms
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, blackwing said:

Fantastic win by Venus.  When she was up 40 love in the fourth game of the third set and lost it to go down 3-1, I thought she might have been done.  But she hung in there, played well and gritted it out to twirl another day.  Well played.

Argh, but they cut off her twirl before it really got going--at least on my Watch ESPN.

The blonde woman in the back left of this photo (from a Keys match) has also been in CoCo's box. Does anyone know who she is? I had noticed her first in CoCo's box and assumed she was a relative, but then I saw her at Madison's game and was confused.

40 minutes ago, dcalley said:

The blonde woman in the back left of this photo (from a Keys match) has also been in CoCo's box. Does anyone know who she is? I had noticed her first in CoCo's box and assumed she was a relative, but then I saw her at Madison's game and was confused.

Probably someone who works with US Women's tennis. Ugh, Coco won against Plishkova. My friend insists that I'm being unfairly harsh against CoCo. But that's because she's one of those who never has an issue with arrogance and thinks all athletes should have some amount of it. And I don't disagree. But in my opinion, arrogance in the form of self-belief that no one will beat you is one thing but arrogance to where you're just unpleasant, is something else. It's the stupid smug look and burnt fried looking blonde hair that just grates for me with regard to CoCo.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 5

Pliskova just does not have any other gear. Even if the match is on the line and the ball is going cross court she just kind of strolls over there like she is taking a walk in the park. Does she not practice sprints?! 

• Love 3
Just now, TVbitch said:

Pliskova just does not have any other gear. Even if the match is on the line and the ball is going cross court she just kind of strolls over there like she is taking a walk in the park. Does she not practice sprints?! 

Honestly, it's kind of one of the reasons I love her. She's like a robot - no emotion. Win, lose, doesn't matter. I don't know, it sort of amuses me. I swear, every time she cracks a smile when she wins a match, I have to do a double take because it's such an uncommon expression for her.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

I'm a Slam tennis watcher, so I don't know the ins and outs of the gents on tour, but this kid playing Rafa looked overwhelmed from the start to my novice eyes, but he was in the US Open quarters.  So he has to be pretty good, right?

I mean, I understand the injury dropouts but still.  He was one of the last six guys standing but did not look like it.

However.  For his age, he acquitted himself well even if he was steamrolled.

• Love 1
Just now, mojoween said:

I'm a Slam tennis watcher, so I don't know the ins and outs of the gents on tour, but this kid playing Rafa looked overwhelmed from the start to my novice eyes, but he was in the US Open quarters.  So he has to be pretty good, right?

I mean, I understand the injury dropouts but still.  He was one of the last six guys standing but did not look like it.

However.  For his age, he acquitted himself well even if he was steamrolled.

He does have some game. You should have watched his match against Dimitrov where he just destroyed Grigor. I do think the occasion, the court, etc. all overwhelmed him. I think Rafa may even be one of his favorite players. So yeah definitely didn't bring his best today.

And now we await Federer/Del Potro. As happy as I was for Del Potro's come from behind win against Thiem, I was hesitant to celebrate because considering his history of injuries, he's already been suffering with some virus, I wondered about how fit he would be for the Fed match. We'll see I guess but I'll be pretty irritated if this ends up being a cakewalk for Fed since Del Potro has the game to make it an amazing match. I'm sure the USTA organizers will be thrilled though to finally get their US Open Fed/Rafa match. 

Just now, Miss Chevious said:

Del Porto beat Federer in the 2009 Final (his only GS title) so I hope tonight's match is payback time.

And their head to head is 16 to 5 in Federer's favor. Federer has gotten plenty of revenge for this one Grand Slam final he lost to Del Potro. I mean really, the man has 19 Grand Slams and it was 2009. The way the press are making this out to be some huge massive affront Federer has to right is ridiculous. 

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

And their head to head is 16 to 5 in Federer's favor. Federer has gotten plenty of revenge for this one Grand Slam final he lost to Del Potro. I mean really, the man has 19 Grand Slams and it was 2009. The way the press are making this out to be some huge massive affront Federer has to right is ridiculous. 

Almost as ridiculous as Sharapova's claim that Serena Williams "has never forgiven her" for beating her in the 2004 Wimbledon final.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4845044/Maria-Sharapova-heard-Serena-Williams-cry-Wimbledon.html

7 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

YMMV but there is no next level. I'm not trying to be harsh but I've said it before and firmly believe that they need to give up the dream of Isner, Querrey, etc. as the next US men's Grand Slam champion. It's not happening. The future of American men's tennis is somewhere still in Juniors. Tiafoe looks very promising but there is a lot of work that needs to be done with him, including, playing smarter on the big points, not going for too much all the time, etc.

Let me clarify. I have no use for the American men hype and promotion and the analysts can all be quiet about Isner/Querrey/Sock (oy, that's another story entirely)/Fritz/Donaldson/Whomever. But from a personal level, I spent a lot of time watching Sam practice at the Open the week before the tournament started. He's someone my family and I have now been watching play at the Open in person, both in singles and doubles, for a very, very long time. We actually used to have jokes about how bad some of his strokes were, particularly when he and Isner played doubles--it was like, neither if you could find a partner who can volley? At all? This year, he looked like a different player. He's made huge improvements to his backhand and volleys. He has a killer serve, when it's on. I don't see him ever winning a major or even getting to the finals--this was probably his only shot, and he blew it. But he's not a player who should be losing in the first or second round of a GS based on his actual skills. He should be consistently making it to about the fourth round with occasional runs further. He's streaky, even within matches. Even within practice, for that matter. And I think, again based on skill alone, he should have won that match last night or at the very least gotten to five sets.  But he played some big points in a sloppy way, missed shots he should have made, couldn't get his first serve working well enough, and didn't construct points well. It seems like a lot of those issues could be mental and also related to attitude, commitment, etc. 

Isner, on the other hand, is a disaster and I can't even deal with him. Those volleys from a decade ago? I mean, I think they're actually worse now. 

I love Delpo. But I don't see him getting past Roger. I was at his match on Monday and was stunned, based on the way he came out, that he managed to go five sets, let alone win. That virus seemed to really have taken it out of him. He looked completely exhausted in the first set, wasn't running for anything, missed his serve a bunch...we actually thought there was a pretty significant chance he was going to just call it quits. I would love to believe he's had a miraculous recovery since then. But I'm skeptical. 

Edited by Jillibean
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

Girl, bye.  I think my eyes might be permanently stuck in a rolled position after that mess.

That's almost as ridiculous as ESPN hyping up their 'rivalry' when they play each other. What rivalry? Serena has beaten Sharapova 18 times in a row--she hasn't lost to her since that 2004 upset. 

Coco won? Didn't see the match. Will try to catch the replay tonight. 

• Love 5

Can I just say that I can't stand John McEnroe calling matches? He doesn't talk like a tennis expert who analyzes each player's game. He watches with a clear favorite in mind and goes on about how great his player is, whether they're winning or not. 

BTW, this is a great match between Federer and Del Potro. 1 set all, 3rd set tie-break. Can't tell who will win out. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, topanga said:

Can I just say that I can't stand John McEnroe calling matches? He doesn't talk like a tennis expert who analyzes each player's game. He watches with a clear favorite in mind and goes on about how great his player is, whether they're winning or not. 

Yup, was ranting about that some days ago. And he and the others were being dragged on twitter some days ago for it. The worse is when they're so dismissive of the opponent's game when they're playing one of their favorites. The only one I can stand to listen to is Darren Cahill who I feel truly tries to be complimentary to both players and give them their due. 

Amazed that Del Potro pulled out that third set after he lost the break and went down quickly in the tiebreak. But it's a good thing he did because he would have hated himself for losing that set, considering he had the break and at one point had a chance to go up a double break. 

• Love 2

Me on the phone with my mother at 6-6: "I will absolutely die if Del Potro manages to win the third set."

Please send donations in lieu of flowers.

Seriously, what is going on here? Del Potro hadn't played exceptionally well to that point and Fed was making all sorts of stupid mental errors. Nadal must be doing cartwheels in his hotel room right now. 

I also love Argentinian fans. They're so lit.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Seriously, what is going on here? Del Potro hadn't played exceptionally well to that point and Fed was making all sorts of stupid mental errors. Nadal must be doing cartwheels in his hotel room right now. 

I don't have a dog in the race. They're both playing exceptional tennis.  But according to Johnny Mac, all fans want  to see a Nadal-Federer match. I don't care, as long as Nadal whips either one of them. Go Rafa!

• Love 3

Man, poor USTA. They're never going to get that Rafa/Federer match are they? 

Kudos to Del Potro. As for the semifinal with Rafa, to be honest, either one would be tough. His head to head with Del Potro is 8 to 5 in his favor but that's pretty damn close and the last time they played, last year at the Olympics, Del Potro won. Interestingly, the year Del Potro won the title, he played and destroyed Rafa in the semifinal. So should be interesting. I mean of course I'm rooting for Rafa but I'm not sure it'll be an easy match and well it's the semifinal, it shouldn't be. 

Btw, more of McEnroe's annoying commentary. At match point, McEnroe said, "this is just stunning" like what was happening was so shocking. And it's like okay, some wondered about Del Potro's physical fitness coming into the match but that aside, he has beaten Federer before and Federer hasn't looked a 100 percent this tournament. The man almost lost in the first round and didn't because his experience worked in his favor over Tiafoe's inexperience. And Youzhny took him to 5 sets. So I don't understand why the commentators were acting like this result was so shocking. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

Wow, I didn't see this one coming at all. I thought Del Potro looked a bit sluggish during the second and third sets, and figured he'd disappear in the fourth if Fed won the tiebreaker. I don't recall Roger ever blowing so many set points.

The tournament directors and ESPN must be crapping their pants right now, though. You've got a ratings dud in one men's semi and the dream match was foiled in another. 

Also, a random gripe: I was so freaking annoyed by how many people I noticed texting on their phones in the seats behind the players. I'd give my right arm to go to a night match at the Open and these people act like they're just killing time while stuck at jury duty. Ugh.

• Love 10

So happy that Del Potro won.  I'm not a Federer fan. Just can't stand the way the media always salivates over him.  So sick of the media hype about this match in the past two days.  There was even an article on the US Open website about "Federer reflects on 2009 loss to Del Potro".  Seriously?  It was EIGHT YEARS AGO and the man has won many titles and more than a few Slams since then.  I think he turned out OK.

Rooting for Del Potro to win it all.

And while I'm fiercely rooting for the Goddess on a Mountaintop, I'd be happy if anyone but Caca Coco wins. 

• Love 6

DelPo seems like a nice guy but still...it hurts.  Man I was rooting for Roger.

And seriously whatever happens after the semis is eh.

I suppose we could have an all-Spain final yes?  Correno Busta is still in it against Anderson?

• Love 3

Aww, Roger. I was rooting for you.

When was the last time there was an elite female tennis player as universally disliked as CoCo? I know she must have some fans, but the prevailing sentiment among tennis followers seems to be negative. I can't remember anything comparable in the years I've watched the game.

I hope Madison blows her off the court today.

• Love 5
39 minutes ago, Mrs. P. said:

Aww, Roger. I was rooting for you.

When was the last time there was an elite female tennis player as universally disliked as CoCo? I know she must have some fans, but the prevailing sentiment among tennis followers seems to be negative. I can't remember anything comparable in the years I've watched the game.

I hope Madison blows her off the court today.

I’ve never seen Coco in interviews, so I believe all of you when you say she’s not friendly.

On the court, she seems really, really competitive. And she’s harder on herself than anyone else. When she misses a shot, she mumbles curse words at herself or slams her racket. If that’s all I new about her, I’d say she’s simply passionate about the game and doesn’t like to lose. But there’s something to be said for sportsmanship.

Speaking of sportsmanship, I remember when commentators used to criticize Serena Williams for yelling, “Come on!” after she made a big point. They thought she was taunting her opponent. But Serena explained that she was actually yelling at herself, encouraging…herself keep up her intensity and execution. And now many players in the WTA and the ATP yell “Come on” during their matches.

The silver lining for people who want to attend the Men's Semis--resale ticket prices are plummeting.  If you're in the NY area, it's a good opportunity to get out there and see some good tennis, even if it's not the blockbuster of ESPN's dreams.

• Love 2

Yaaaay Delpo!!  I have always liked DelPotro so I was so rooting for him to win.  

I've got nothing against Roger personally, and he seems like a nice guy.  Seriously.  So my issue isn't with him, it's with the media constantly blowing smoke up his ass. 

I can understand CoCo's passion on the court, I can even understand smashing rackets because many players have done that.  No, it's her interviews where she comes off as just smug and condescending. like she's better than everyone else.  In short, there's a kind of country club snobbishness about her.  So yeah, somebody beat that ass!

• Love 3

I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts on Roger's post-match comments where he basically said he knew he'd lose if he ran into "a good guy" in the later part of the tournament. 

I found that rather odd, especially considering Del Potro was sick and struggling in his previous match. It's not like DelPo was on some crazy win streak or coming off a major tournament win. I don't know if Roger was making excuses or whether he let this one go because he didn't want to get demolished by Rafa in the semis, but IMO, that's kind of a poor attitude from a player at that level.

• Love 1

I was so disappointed in his loss that I didn't stick around for the post match chats--but that is an odd statement.  He's usually so gracious and very careful not to offend an opponent but that statement makes it sound like he thinks his previous opponents were trash.  I want to believe he didn't mean it that way.

I gotta pull for DelPo now. I've never been a Rafa fan.

• Love 2

Madison and CoCo seem to be friendly, which is nice. Here they are after Madison beat CoCo in the Stanford finals. It was enjoyable to watch (the match and the waiting for the trophies), reminding me a little of Flavia and Roberta in 2015:

36414760985_3e6fe60d45_b.jpg

Madison seems like a nice person, so maybe Coco isn't totally awful, but she's definitely not very P.R. savvy.

I don't think it's a requirement for athletes to pay homage to their opponents or recite cute canned speeches for the cameras, but I do find Coco's behavior to be incredibly rude at times. The Radwanska match was the perfect example. Acting snotty when Aggie challenged the match point, and running over to the coach's box before she'd shook her opponents hand. Stuff like that makes it impossible for me to like her. She's old enough to know better.

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I do find Coco's behavior to be incredibly rude at times. The Radwanska match was the perfect example. Acting snotty when Aggie challenged the match point, and running over to the coach's box before she'd shook her opponents hand. Stuff like that makes it impossible for me to like her. She's old enough to know better.

Oh yeah, that was really bad, especially the finger wagging (though that may have been an earlier challenge, I can't remember).

Palate cleanser:

• Love 4

I sort of love that the US Open isn't getting their Fedal match, although I wish it had been because Nadal hadn't made the semis; of course, they slowed the courts waaaayyyyyy down this year to try to ensure Nadal wouldn't get bounced early.  Roger never looked right this entire tournament (I don't think his back is fully healed), and I expected DelPo to beat him.  Still, I love DelPo, and I'm really excited for him; I hope he demolishes Nadal, whom I detest, and wins the whole thing.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

Ok, I'm ridiculously superstitious and I need to know why Venus changed her dress from the pink she's worn ALL TOURNAMENT to this black / pink combo???  She needs to take a restroom timeout and go change.  Quickly.

Looks like she's gotten in together. She's about to go up two breaks in the second set. Definitely an odd first set from her. 

of course, they slowed the courts waaaayyyyyy down this year to try to ensure Nadal wouldn't get bounced early.  

Ah the good old conspiracy theories of how things are manipulated to favor one player. It's highly amusing how some always think something is manipulated for another player they're not a fan of while another person can say the same about that person's favorite. We can all do this dance all day long. Hell at this rate, the entire Tennis Federation is one big conspiracy for most of the top players if you believe every theory fans on all sides come up with. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

Ok, I'm ridiculously superstitious and I need to know why Venus changed her dress from the pink she's worn ALL TOURNAMENT to this black / pink combo???  She needs to take a restroom timeout and go change.  Quickly.

Day kit and night kit, I assume. Serena also changes outfits like that. Is this really Venus's first night match, though? I do like this one better.

Speaking of what people in Ashe are wearing, stop wearing the American flag, especially as a scarf! Flag Code

• Love 1

This is one of the most topsy turvy lopsided matches ever. The scores of the first two sets pretty much suggests that this is all Venus. She essentially beat herself in the first set and as soon as she got her shit together in the second set, Sloane was blown off the court. I hope the third set is at least a little more competitive. 

14 minutes ago, dcalley said:

Is this really Venus's first night match, though? I do like this one better.

I don't think it is her first night match.  I know a lot of players have day gear vs night gear (just thinking of Sharapova with her evening lace and rhinstones---straight from the court to cocktails!) but I thought Venus was keeping the pink regardless of the time.  No matter, I guess.  She's  way too cool to be beholden to superstitions and her play straightened out tremendously.

I just remembered that Venus's bra kept peeking out of her other outfit. Maybe that's why she changed. I also recently read an article about how superstitious Serena and therefore her box could be. I wonder if Venus is the same way.

4 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

Ah the good old conspiracy theories of how things are manipulated to favor one player. It's highly amusing how some always think something is manipulated for another player they're not a fan of while another person can say the same about that person's favorite. We can all do this dance all day long. Hell at this rate, the entire Tennis Federation is one big conspiracy for most of the top players if you believe every theory fans on all sides come up with. 

The courts ARE playing much slower this year; I was having fun with the Rafa crack (which I thought was obvious, but I guess it wasn't).  I honestly don't understand why Nadal fans are so quick to jump on anyone who says anything negative about him.

In other news, CoCo:

tenor.gif

Miss you like a front tooth, toots!

I'll be thrilled for whichever of Sloane or Madison wins Saturday!

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

The courts ARE playing much slower this year; I was having fun with the Rafa crack (which I thought was obvious, but I guess it wasn't).  I honestly don't understand why Nadal fans are so quick to jump on anyone who says anything negative about him.

I know the courts are slower because the commentators have only said it about a hundred times since the Open started. And for the record, I don't jump on any negative comment about Rafa because really, the doping accusations that flood the internet alone would take up all of my time if I had to respond to every negative comment about him. I was just amused at what I read as a blatant suggestion that essentially the USTA slowed down the courts just to favor him and said as much. Because like I said, if one tries hard enough, everyone can spin some theory about how things are favored for someone else. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1
58 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

I know the courts are slower because the commentators have only said it about a hundred times since the Open started. And for the record, I don't jump on any negative comment about Rafa because really, the doping accusations that flood the internet alone would take up all of my time if I had to respond to every negative comment about him. I was just amused at what I read as a blatant suggestion that essentially the USTA slowed down the courts just to favor him and said as much. Because like I said, if one tries hard enough, everyone can spin some theory about how things are favored for someone else. 

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but he actually DOES dope.  A good friend of mine (who LOVES him and says he's a wonderful guy, by the way) traveled with his team for a while and reluctantly confirmed for me (when I directly asked if he doped) that he does.  He is farrrrr from the only tennis player who does, but he still dopes.  I don't expect you to believe it, but this person is a reliable source, and that's all I'll say about the matter.

Ah, the reliable unnamed , unverifiable "source" which happens to throw dirt on a player; all be it the messenger relays it reluctantly and then  states that is the last word on the matter.

Caps of course are de rigeur to signify veracity and finality.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, caracas1914 said:

Ah, the reliable unnamed , unverifiable "source" which happens to throw dirt on a player; all be it the messenger relays it reluctantly and then  states that is the last word on the matter.

LOL. Good post. :)

• Love 1

Ahhh, so now I can relax and enjoy the women's final, root for both, and not care who wins.  Looking forward to it!

I guess CoCo and Madison are friends, it was nice that they hugged at the end.  But then CoCo couldn't help herself and had to blow by the kids wanting the tennis balls signed.  I know it's bitterly disappointing to lose, but she's an adult and should be able to hold herself together enough to do just that one simple courtesy.  Girl 'bye.  

• Love 5
7 hours ago, caracas1914 said:

You know best, as usual.