Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E01: 18 Chefs Compete

• Start Topic

I'll bet that there are those who practice then and I remember in seasons past a few mentioning doing that. But those are either not chosen for the show or producers tamper with the ovens to ensure screwups anyway.

• Love 1
(edited)

What was the point of a stunt crew? And I can already tell who the top 5 are going to be. And did Gordon get older? His face is tense. Maybe he needs to stop yelling. I just don't understand how these people can't cook meat.

Edited by Darknight

The stunt crew thing was so stupid especially because they did a similar fake-out a few seasons ago, where they were told they'd all have to shave their heads. I think Andi even pretended to have her head shaved (I don't remember this too well, so I might be making that part up). I was surprised that they all seemed to think it was for real, but maybe they were instructed to fake that as well.

For a change, most of the signature dishes looked decent, with the exception of Monique's canned sauce spaghetti that was slopped onto the plate. Even the ones that Gordon hated didn't look as horrifying as they evidently were. I feel like if there's not at least one Hen In a Pumpkin equivalent, then the signature dish competition is a waste of time.

And here I thought "W" meant "weed." Heh.

Chrissa was completely clueless. I mean, sure, canned spaghetti sauce was totally doofus, but people are known to consume the stuff. Ginger-cookie-covered chicken, OTOH, is just bizarre. And since when does one's signature dish come from a sudden whim?

I hated the way she talked, too.

The layers of unreality to this reality show astound! Stunt people! Scripted paid diners! Dean and a date! Mysteriously cold oven!

Gotta love it!

• Love 1

Chrissa was completely clueless. I mean, sure, canned spaghetti sauce was totally doofus, but people are known to consume the stuff. Ginger-cookie-covered chicken, OTOH, is just bizarre. And since when does one's signature dish come from a sudden whim?

I hated the way she talked, too.

See, I thought just the opposite. I think you could powder the ginger cookies and use them in a crust if you were a clever cook, although I don't think she had a chance. But, again, I'm sure her family loves her meals, but I don't think selling grilled cheese to office workers makes you a chef (case in point: Paula Deen).

Canned sauce, on the other hand, is just canned paste plus industrial water with bonus aluminum taste and all the natural sugars cooked out. Blerg.

If this were Chopped, the chefs could be given ginger cookies AND canned tomato sauce and make something tasty.  On HK, they can't manage to make something edible with either one, even when they chose those ingredients for themselves.  Yet they were picked for the show.  Sometimes I wonder if the screening process for this show is really just a lottery.

• Love 2

I haven't see the article or link, but Dean is claiming that this show was filmed years ago and the woman was his publicist. Well, not according to my friend who was there. It was months ago, but not years. And I truly wish my friend had taken photos of them making out, TMZ would pay big bucks for that!

• Love 1

And here I thought "W" meant "weed." Heh.

I didn't know what it meant but if W is "short" for Win (one syllable) as someone said, there are a couple more things I don't get.

• Love 2

To be honest, I initially thought the person who made the W comment was a man, so I thought it stood for wank.  Then I realised she was wearing a red uniform, so it couldn't be that.

But saying I "All I want is a cigarette and a weed" makes no sense.  People refer to "some weed" but I've never heard "a weed."  I thought from the moment she said it that she was saying, "All I want is a cigarette and a win."

• Love 1

I didn't know what it meant but if W is "short" for Win (one syllable) as someone said, there are a couple more things I don't get.

Ha! (Sorry to veer off-topic for a second, but) this is one of my pet peeves too. They do it on crime procedurals all the time (I'm specifically thinking of Castle right at the moment) when they say "GSW" (five syllables) rather than "gun shot wound" (three syllables.) Drives me nuts.

It also drives me crazy when people write/type "till" as short for "until." I mean, for crying out loud, if you're gonna shorten a five-letter word just to save a couple keystrokes, why would you turn right around and squander half of your keystroke savings by adding a superfluous L that not only doesn't even belong there, but also changes your "shortened" word to a whole different actual word with a whole different meaning? What a weird thing to do. Either bite the bullet and type out all five letters, or enjoy the full well-earned two-keystroke shortcut and type "til."

(Sorry about that. I'll shut up now.)

• Love 7

But saying I "All I want is a cigarette and a weed" makes no sense.  People refer to "some weed" but I've never heard "a weed."  I thought from the moment she said it that she was saying, "All I want is a cigarette and a win."

"I want a W", meaning "Win" is fairly deeply embedded into urban culture now, because black sports figures have been saying it for about 15 years now. I agree that if there's some other time or place where "W" means "Weed" that it wouldn't have "a" in the statement. Especially paired with "cigarette", which would essentially be saying that someone wanted to smoke two different things at once.

I haven't see the article or link, but Dean is claiming that this show was filmed years ago and the woman was his publicist. Well, not according to my friend who was there. It was months ago, but not years. And I truly wish my friend had taken photos of them making out, TMZ would pay big bucks for that!

Dean would have much more credibility on that if this wasn't the third season of Hell's Kitchen aired in the past year. That production timeline makes it impossible for anyone to believe this was shot years ago, especially given that it's public knowledge who was in which cast, when they were brought to LA, and then countless other people besides Dean were brought into a public place with this cast (and Dean... and his blond). Really it's pathetic he's lying about it, because while cheating is always bad, Tori Spelling and her fucking reality show and insistence of her whole life being on TV for profit actually had people sympathetic to Dean ANYWAY despite him being a cheater. So really... just own up to it, Dean-o.
  • Love 5

Yeah, kinda torn on that one. On the one hand, it's not fair that the only people to pay for his decision to trade what little self respect he had for a shot at an heiress are his first wife and kids, and it's kind of cosmic justice that he ended up without the money or the career and being serially humiliated by his creepy wife, and bluntly I'd be more sympathetic to anything about him if he could somehow dredge up the discipline to wait a week or two after she gives birth to impregnate a wife he doesn't seem to particularly like. 

OTOH. Actually, though, there kind of isn't another hand here. It's possible to get your Cheever on without bringing your date to a television filming. I'll grant you the missus seems to enjoy scaring the horses herself, but we know about Dean that he's capable of walking out of a marriage if it doesn't serve his purposes any more. Just, blerg all around.

• Love 3
(edited)

two-keystroke shortcut and type "til."

I agree with you but I think that the correct usage is " 'til" because it is an abbreviation for "until". One of my pet peeves. Just like confusing "ordinance" and "ordnance".

Edited by DoctorK
  • Love 1

Since when has that ever been a problem on Hell's Kitchen? Have they turned the venerable barracks into a no-smoking zone this season?

I haven't noticed, but now I'll be watching. It seemed the thing to do out on the patio/balcony in past seasons.

It also drives me crazy when people write/type "till" as short for "until." I mean, for crying out loud, if you're gonna shorten a five-letter word just to save a couple keystrokes, why would you turn right around and squander half of your keystroke savings by adding a superfluous L that not only doesn't even belong there, but also changes your "shortened" word to a whole different actual word with a whole different meaning? What a weird thing to do. Either bite the bullet and type out all five letters, or enjoy the full well-earned two-keystroke shortcut and type "til."

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/till

"Till" is actually a variant of "'til" or "until". Like, it's its own word, not a botched contraction. Yeah, surprised me because seeing it where I expected "'til" used to drive me nuts.

Dean would have much more credibility on that if this wasn't the third season of Hell's Kitchen aired in the past year. That production timeline makes it impossible for anyone to believe this was shot years ago, especially given that it's public knowledge who was in which cast, when they were brought to LA, and then countless other people besides Dean were brought into a public place with this cast (and Dean... and his blond). Really it's pathetic he's lying about it, because while cheating is always bad, Tori Spelling and her fucking reality show and insistence of her whole life being on TV for profit actually had people sympathetic to Dean ANYWAY despite him being a cheater. So really... just own up to it, Dean-o.

Dean is such a tool. I wonder how they even let his Z-list ass in the door without Tori. I know, I know....he hosts Chopped Canada. I still don't think he's qualified for even that. Sorry, he bugs me.

What was the point of a stunt crew? And I can already tell who the top 5 are going to be. And did Gordon get older? His face is tense. Maybe he needs to stop yelling. I just don't understand how these people can't cook meat.

I read somewhere  that Ramsay has been in the toilet financially for a few years now due to his father-in-law being a piece of work. I mean, being in the toilet for Ramsay might mean he has to share his private jet with another family, but I'm convinced he probably would have left HK by now if he was financially secure. I see a level of general disgust at the show itself from him that I don't see in some of his other shows. I can't explain it. He's probably mentally counting every penny he's earning while watching the cheftestants try to match together fish bodies.

• Love 1