Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers & Speculation: Running Hot & Cold

• Start Topic

I hope this spin-off has some kind of central focus and just doesn't become the show where the EPs dump all the comic characters they can get the rights from DC to use - or the show where they test out possible other spin-off superhero shows.

• Love 1

I hope this spin-off has some kind of central focus and just doesn't become the show where the EPs dump all the comic characters they can get the rights from DC to use - or the show where they test out possible other spin-off superhero shows.

Kitchen Sink: Justice You Can't Scrub Off

• Love 12

I'm still hoping that they are doing a sort of reserection man story with Sara. They can say that she had things done to her on the amazo with Ivo that perhaps combined with a plunge into the magic of the LP.

And they can have this time traveling man know Sara from the future and have him connected to each of Hawkgirl's reincarnations. I just rather have Sara the Sara we know and have her have consequences of her deaths as well. So no AU or taken before death version please.

I want his time traveler suck in the present for the time being. Perhaps he's here trying to stop or start an event that changes the world like the Terminator for example.

Maybe the Time Traveling man is the one that LP'd Sara because she's needed for some future event. He traveled back to when they buried her, dug her up and put her in the pit. 

Edited by Sakura12

I'm not sure that I want to watch this new show.  I never warmed up to Arthur Darvill on DW, Ray is bleh, and Wentworth Miller is too over the top over on The Flash.  Really, the only character that I care about it Sara.  Plus, the cast is way too bloated, and I've seen the piss-poor job that these guys have done when it comes to handling the large Arrow cast.  Also, I don't want to reward these dudes by watching their new show when they've completely destroyed Arrow (yes, I do know how to hold a grudge).

• Love 6

Frankly, I prefer the new show to be used to launch subsequent new heroes and spin-offs. Arrow suffers because the producers use it as a launching station. No more!

(And, all due respect to Rory, whom I loved. He's no rougishly handsome time traveller. Now, if you're looking for a rougishly handsome men, try these lot: Josh Holloway, Colin O'Donoghue... even Joshua Jackson or Scott Speedman)

• Love 3

If the guy time travels back to just after Laurel takes Sara to the Foundry, steals her body, and then LPs her - that could work I guess.  Then season three only has to adjust a little because Sara is still dead but someone stole her body...

I just can't accept the implications on Arrow, Flash, or any of these shows if you can LP someone who has been dead for months and they don't come back batshit crazy.  Because if you can, why wouldn't Oliver LP Moira or Tommy?  Why wouldn't Merlyn find a way to LP his dead wife?  It's not that it makes death temporary because that is always a possibility with comics.  It's that it will no longer make any sense that a character remains dead - all they have to do is get the decaying body to a pit - eventually.  It locks them in to a spot that if the writers want a character to stay dead - they have to start blowing them to pieces so there is no body to LP or something like that.  Fun!

And I can't figure out a way that Nyssa could have stolen Sara and LP'd her months ago and still be going through all the motions she is right now.  Perhaps Ras could have done it and he is just waiting to let Nyssa know?

I would still find a clone of Sara easier to believe.  And I can't help but think the fact that Shado was shown in the past will somehow clue us in to how Sara will be brought back for the spin off.

If the guy time travels back to just after Laurel takes Sara to the Foundry, steals her body, and then LPs her - that could work I guess.  Then season three only has to adjust a little because Sara is still dead but someone stole her body...

It would have to be later, right after they bury Sara.  Or, he'd have to take Sara from the freezer and replace her with a clone/fake body.  However, the grave robbing time frame seems the least messy (ironic, no?) option, one that allows for S3 to unfold without change, while bringing Sara back from the dead.

• Love 1

Yeah, that's what I was talking about in the spoiler thread a few days ago, only I didn't have an actual time-traveler to do the job then. But if they're gonna go with same-Sara, the only way to not mess up the Arrow timeline is to rob her body from the grave, and time-jump from there. Anywhere [any-when?] else, and the timeline is fucked.

Edited by dancingnancy

I meant Rip Hunter goes back in time and digs Sara up when Oliver and them leave her grave site, then he LP's her, it would only be a couple hours or day at most. That way everyone would still think she's dead and buried and it won't change the season. Sara would be alive somewhere, maybe Rip takes her to the future so she wouldn't run into anyone she knows. Then they come back to the present to stop some catastrophe revealing to everyone that she's been resurrected. 

• Love 1

In the comics Nyssa has access to her very own Lazarus Pit, I don't see why she couldn't have robbed the grave months ago and is hiding a currently insane Sara. She could still be in her head space since she didn't really get 'her' Sara back. And she'd still have every reason to be furious with everyone, murder is still murder. I can totally buy her not wanting to tell people, " I tried to bring my beloved back to life but she's just crazy now and I haven't the heart to kill her again"

• Love 2

I guess it just seemed to me that she was in the Foundry for a long time lol. But I guess robbing her grave works too.  I just want the writers to have the convenience of at least saying you can only LP someone within a short period after death so we can't go back and LP Moira, Rebecca, Tommy, Robert, etc.....

(And, all due respect to Rory, whom I loved. He's no rougishly handsome time traveller. Now, if you're looking for a rougishly handsome men, try these lot: Josh Holloway, Colin O'Donoghue... even Joshua Jackson or Scott Speedman)

Yeah, agreed. I hate to be shallow, and I did love Rory, but.....Arthur Darvill is not roguishly handsome IMO. A commenter at TVLIne said that it was a shame they already used Liam McIntyre on Flash, because they thought he would have been perfect. I kind of agree tbh. :/

I think we can assume that five years is a bit too long for the Lazarus effect to take hold, so Robert's done, same for Tommy.

Sara has only been gone a few months so I can buy it.

I think if there's any way to avoid getting trapped as a deus ex machina is that pits are hard to find and cultivate. In the comics they can only be used once, which this show is evidently not doing. But morally it's not something you should do. You can't undo every death by a moral stand point. I think everyone on team arrow would be against pitting someone every time they got hurt. Nyssa isn't as morally conflicted as the rest of the team.

They can always go with you can be resurrected 24 to 48 hours after death. I'm assuming Tommy and Moira had funerals and went through the proper burial protocols, so they wouldn't be able to be brought back. They put Sara in a freezer preserving her body and didn't remove any organs or embalm her making it possible for her to be resurrected. If whoever did it, did it right after her burial then Sara could've been insane when she came back, it's been months since then, she could've regained her sanity by now. 

• Love 1

With a time traveler now involved, you don't technically even need the Lazarus Pit. Hunter could easily pop in, grab Sara as she is falling off the roof, replace her with a clone/copy/whatever who falls to Laurel's feet, and take her off to some secret time travel place where he has also brought in Ray, Cold, Hawkgirl and whoever else from various time periods. This wouldn't have to disrupt the current shows at all. Cold could still be stealing stuff in Central City, as far as anyone in Starling knows Sara is still dead and Ray is still dating Felicity.

Edited by KirkB
  • Love 3

Frankly, I prefer the new show to be used to launch subsequent new heroes and spin-offs. Arrow suffers because the producers use it as a launching station. No more!

Oooh Scott Speedman - Now I would watch a show with him!! Come to think of it he would have made a good foil to OQ in a love triangle with Felicity.

• Love 1

I'm also concerned about the size of the cast. And aren't there 2 more characters who haven't been announced yet? (I could be wrong on that account.)

I suppose it depends on who's running the show because the current EPs have shown the don't know how to handle a large cast. I'm a huge superhero fan so I want to be excited, but this year of Arrow has just beat me down. 

If it's supposed be an ensemble show, I don't mind a larger cast of heroes. The issue with Arrow is, it's called Arrow it should be about him not a bunch of other super heroes. The show stopped focusing on their title character. An ensemble show is supposed to focus on a wide variety of characters. With the spin off people should know that were going to get stories with all of them. It helps that most of them already had their origin introduced, Professor Stein, Sara, and ATOM. They will only need do a quick refresher for them. Then we'll see the origin stories for the 3 new characters and maybe the villains. 

Yeah, agreed. I hate to be shallow, and I did love Rory, but.....Arthur Darvill is not roguishly handsome IMO. A commenter at TVLIne said that it was a shame they already used Liam McIntyre on Flash, because they thought he would have been perfect. I kind of agree tbh. :/

I expect we are going to see a new side to Darvill, one where charm will make up for non classic features. Rory was a character that needed to be on the weaker side but we saw glimpses of the actor's depth when he was the Roman Soilder guarding the Cube for centuries. I'm certain he has the gravitas within him if he needs it and I know he can handle comedic lines. Just need to switch from him being the butt of the jokes to being the one being cheeky.

Plus it's clear they think they have their leading man type in BR so they probably think they have the pretty boy white guy quotient filled.

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1

Dear PTB, if you are looking for actors from genre shows to cast so that I'll watch the spinoff, please see below: 

1. Tahmoh Penikett (you've wasted him already, but you can always lampshade his resemblance to that Nick guy)

2. Enver Gjokaj (though i'd much rather he remained an active member of the Marvel Universe)

3. Russell Tovey (he's free from Looking and the best thing about Being Human. And he's been in Dr. Who too). (Though come to think of it, would prefer that Marvel snatch him up. 

4. Lucy Lawless (no, she's NOT too old for you)

5. Allison Mack

Of course, you'll never listen to me, so I am not obligated to watch. 

Though Rory...with Victor Garber...tempt me. 

• Love 4

Oh Lucy Lawless would cement it for me - I'd have to watch.  Now I have to think about who she could be (there was a time when I wanted her to play WW so bad, but I don't think DC would allow that on this show AND she might be too old for that)......I kind of want to see Zatana on the show so maybe. :) Since we have time travel, Lady Blackhawk maybe?

Ok is there any way that this show will be an Earth 2 version?  If I am not mistaken, Kendra Saunders is the Earth 2 version of Hawkgirl where Shayera Thal is still Hawkgirl (and an alien) in Earth Prime.

I mean if they use the Earth 2 concept, Sara could be alive and well and there is no need to explain it as to why.  They merely have to introduce the concept of multiple Earths.

• Love 1

I've posted something in the spoiler discussion section regarding Ray Palmer. But Im beginning to think that this All American Hero persona they've tried to build up is a ruse. That perhaps Ray Palmer is not as heroic as he seems. Rather he has bigger plans than protecting SC. Perhaps he is a newer version of MM, seeking justice and revenge while lining his pockets. I could see him trying to sell the patents or plans for the supersuit for profits. Perhaps this new group being formed in the spin-off is more like a black-ops Argus-style mercenaries doing missions around the world for governments or highest bidders. A lot of the characters that have been chosen have a very grey view on justice or the methods needed for justice, so it might be where they're heading with it. They've just played up his wonderfulness a little too much for it to be authentic and then they so easily threw him under the bus in 317. So yea, I didn't trust RP before, and now I really don't trust him - so listening to my gut all I can think is that maybe we are being hoodwinked as to the true nature of RP's character and by the end of the season we will fully understand his identity as well.

• Love 1

I really don't think they're turning him evil. Imo the inconsistency in Palmer's writing is accidental. I mean, he's not even the first character they've written one way, and came off completely different onscreen. I think with Palmer, what you see is what you get, and the only reason there's any mystery left is because if you look any deeper, you'll find empty space behind his 2D cardboard-ness.

• Love 11

Ray is just like Laurel, they think they are writing them one way but most everyone is seeing the opposite. The writers think they are writing heroic and awesome, while we are seeing bland and selfish. I have to put a lot of the blame on the actors. If someone else were playing them we could have been rooting for those characters. 

They don't even have to be a good actor to bring something to the character that people will like. CL is not a great actor by any means but she brought something to Sara that made people like her. That's probably the entire reasons she's on the spin off. 

Caity's getting ready for the spin off.

caitylotz_zps2hduohih.jpg

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 7
(edited)
I'm more interested in Hawkgirl casting. If she's indeed not one of the 3 heroes mentioned previously, then this means we'll get at least 3 kick-ass females which makes me much more invested in this show. Also, this character seems interesting, judging by the brief description.

The latino female warrior character?, Prior to this, my speculation and what I heard from some fans was that  it was going to Kendra Saunders/Hawkgirl. The casting  call description  seems to match with this character & casting, so I really dont understand what Deadline is saying there. The character sounds like one of the new 3 to me, if not thats an interesting development/change.

The other character I can think off that might match the casting description of "Latino Female Warrior" is  Beatrice de Souza (Fire). 

Well, with no disrespect intended to the people here who have their reasons for disliking Ray....I can see why he said that.  From the snippets I have gathered on other sites, it does seem like most of the people who dislike Ray do so because of olicity.  These are the same people calling Felicity a whore and saying she should have stayed loyal to Oliver.  I can see why a show producer might role his eyes at that.

I know that is not everyone, because my fiancé just wants him (Ray) off Arrow because he doesn't think he belongs on the show (and he doesn't give two cents about who Felicity ends up with).  He doesn't dislike the character at all - just thinks he takes away from the core story. But again, from the EPs point-of-view, they don't have to worry about fans who feel that way because they are moving the character off Arrow anyway.

Ray is going to be on the Flash soon, so I think that is going to give the PTB a more clear view whether Ray hate is mostly shipper bias or if its  something to do with the character,  that could help them to assess if he needs some changing and improvements before he makes his way to the spin off. Thats the good thing about having two parent shows now and expanding the universe, you can play up to different audiences to test outcomes. And they can shuffle the characters around, in different environments to see how they work. 

Edited by Conell

I think they're one and the same. Whoever said "never appeared on TV before" probably forgot about Hawkgirl being on Smallville. Not that I'm opposed to a third female character - far from it. But I think in this case it's the same character.

• Love 3

Yeah I really don't count her as being on Smallville.  They had Carter Hall having a vision/flashback to Shayera but the actress didn't do anything.  I'm pretty sure she didn't even have a line.  The portrait and her helmet had more character development. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I think that was TV Line or Deadline's comment, she appeared on Smallville so she can't be one of the 3 characters previously mentioned because they were supposed to have never been on Live Action TV Before.   I have to assume she's one of the 3 casting descriptions we saw previously, Berlanti either forgot about Smallville or didn't count it because a cameo doesn't really count

Edited by Morrigan2575

I think that was TV Line or Deadline's comment, she appeared on Smallville so she can't be one of the 3 characters previously mentioned because they were supposed to have never been on Live Action TV Before.   I have to assume she's one of the 3 casting descriptions we saw previously, Berlanti either forgot about Smallville or didn't count it because a cameo doesn't really count

Well Hawkgirl didn't even appear as a cameo, just the portrait. Her alter ego, Shayera was nothing more than a moving image out of the past.  There was no live action of her in wings or anything like that so I'd say it very much still falls under the heading of never been done before on TV.  

• Love 1

Well Hawkgirl didn't even appear as a cameo, just the portrait. Her alter ego, Shayera was nothing more than a moving image out of the past.  There was no live action of her in wings or anything like that so I'd say it very much still falls under the heading of never been done before on TV.  

I agree with you, I'm just saying that TV Line or Deadline (don't remember which) said this couldn't be one of the 3 because she appeared in Smallville.  Their logic, not mine.

• Love 1
(edited)

I mentioned yesterday, on another board, that it would be hilarious if Sara comes back with The Canary Cry.. it would make sense in a way because the spin-off is chock full of super powers and suits.

That would be entertaining.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 9

IA with this^. In the Golden Age and even in the 90s, there were titles that were double acts or straight anthologies of heroes. Action Comics and Adventure Comics are two off the top of my head.  Sensation Comics and Whiz Comics were DC hero anthology comics too. I the last iteration I saw, the stories were in six  or longer installments.  The starring heroes were rotated. If the Phantom Lady story was wrapped up The Secret Six story started up. When Black Canary was done, Mad Dog got underway.

If the show pairs up various heroes and/or villains, it could be a fun time. Shorter arcs, more characters (which extends the DC brand) and the teams don't have to be static. After a bit, if there is more demand for a particular team-up, like the comic The Brave and The Bold, then that is something the EPs and writers can work towards.

Yeah I really don't count her as being on Smallville.  They had Carter Hall having a vision/flashback to Shayera but the actress didn't do anything.  I'm pretty sure she didn't even have a line.  The portrait and her helmet had more character development.

Yeah, agree with you there.

Gotta say, whatever plan the producers had for making me want to see more of Ray/ATOM its not working. The more I see him on Arrow, the less I want to see him on the spinoff. He is slowly losing any appeal he had in earlier episodes. I feel like this spin-off needs to drop him or at least tell Arrow EPs to stop trying to make him happen on Arrow. We know his suit works, fine. We know he has nanotechnology, fine. He couldn't get his suit to work until Felicity helped with his chip, but whatever. I think if they really want him to not tarnish the appeal of the spin-off they need to get him off of Arrow STAT. Also from the Flash previews he seems out of place, but we'll hold judgment until actual episode airs. All I know is last night I realized ATOM/Ray is becoming a character that I would rather see possibly die in an ICU than have a medical breakthrough.

• Love 6
(edited)

At this point, Ray is the only thing in the spin off I'm NOT interested in seeing. I want to find out what's going on with Caity/Sara. I like Hawkgirl. And Cold. How do you have Stein without Ronnie? Or is Ronnie going to be there too? Who else is coming? Will this be a huge mess or a lot of fun to watch? Then Palmer shows up and I kind of lose interest. I don't think it's Brandon Routh's fault though. It's the way Ray is being written.

Edited by KirkB
  • Love 4

Jessie L Martin is a very handsome man with a beautiful smile.  Sorry, back on topic.  Yeah, I think that might be a reason why.  Which might mean that

Ronnie/Robbie becomes a series regular on The Flash S2 or because shows can never allow for long term happiness, they'll kill him off or trap him in an AU for maximum angst

• Love 8

Ok perhaps the Ronnie actor can be on S2 Flash and Victor can be on the spin-off and when they need Firestorm, there is cross over? This might be a unique case since the spin-off seems to be a shorter series and Ronnie probably wouldn't be in every episode of Flash anyway.

Oh my gosh - those Flash pictures!!!! 

• Love 3

since the spin-off seems to be a shorter series

Has there been actual indication of this or just that it is likely to be a mid-series replacement?  Cause a midseason show can still be a full 22-23 episodes, they just don't have to mess with the hiatus problem as much.