Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E11: The Distance

HalcyonDays
  • Start Topic

Not even 2 years. It has just taken all these years to tell this much of the story.

I can't see anyone thinking of repopulating now; they haven't got enough to feed people--including babies-- right now. They need to make life safe for the decent humans who are already there before thinking of creating lots more people.

But if you don't repopulate then, obviously, society dies out. Granted, I'm a newer viewer, but have marathoned through the other mistakes, but I think this is a good place. Doesn't mean it will be perfect, there may be rules they don't care for, etc. but I think Aaron is alright and I think there are many reasons  why he would want to add this group. For the most part, the men and women (in fact, at this point all the women)  are damn resourceful warriors.  Although I have a bit more trouble figuring out how two guys have really been close enough to observe much, the fact is this is a loyal group. They all have each others backs. The core group, at the very least, is a real family in every sense that matters. They must be reasonably smart (Ricks insistence on traveling at night aside,) they are still alive and have managed to keep a baby alive. No small feat in a ZA. 

However, I also think this will go all kinds of wrong, because if it doesnt, the show will get boringl.  Somehow, they will be overrun by a herd, in spite of the fences, or some other bad guys will attack, whatever, something bad will happen. I'm just casting my vote that Aaron is a basically good guy.   

• Love 3

The can continually cast a baby to fit the timeline but can't stop Carl from growing. He was only in the 3rd grade when the outbreak took place and now he looks like a high school freshman!

There are three options with Carl/Judith.  The audience hands waves how fast they grow, the show kills them, or they skip big hunks of time each season like they did between the end of season2/3 and 3/4.  At the age Judith is they can get away with casting a new baby, but once she hits 2 or 3 that will be a lot harder.

• Love 2

There are three options with Carl/Judith.  The audience hands waves how fast they grow, the show kills them, or they skip big hunks of time each season like they did between the end of season2/3 and 3/4.  At the age Judith is they can get away with casting a new baby, but once she hits 2 or 3 that will be a lot harder.

Actually since I caught up via marathon viewing, this was one of the things that really stuck out to me. How much Carl has grown. It really isn't believable that it's been less than two years. But then, this is a show about a ZA, so I guess "believable" isn't going to be it's strong

suit.

• Love 4

that homosexual couples can and occasionally do make babies the same way heterosexual couples do

Unless the whole compound is just gay men, sashaying and chantaying at their fab-u-lous Friday night dance parties, they might need a women or 4.

• Love 5

The can continually cast a baby to fit the timeline but can't stop Carl from growing. He was only in the 3rd grade when the outbreak took place and now he looks like a high school freshman!

Carl was 12 when it started. So now he's 14.

Unless the whole compound is just gay men, sashaying and chantaying at their fab-u-lous Friday night dance parties, they might need a women or 4.

Yeah, because there are no typically masculine, macho gay men in the Zombie Apocalyse, until we find out that Daryl is gay or Abraham. Or maybe there is a Michael Sam type inside that compound.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 2
Exactly. Also, unlike the  others, Rick has two children to worry about and can't just think of himself. But he should trust Michonne. After her, her amazing antennae picked up that Woodbury was a lie and that the Gov was evil about 9 milliseconds after laying eyes on him and the place.

Completely agree on both points. It's not as if the others don't love and care about Carl and Judith. But clearly if a problem comes up, the adults can all fend for themselves. Carl can too, to a certain point. But Rick is the only one with children in this group. He not only has to get himself out of a bad situation, but make sure that those two do as well. He is just naturally going to be even more cautious. 

But yes, I would trust Michonne's instincts. She has proven to have good ones. She just KNEW The Guv was full of baloney, even before he had outwardly done anything shady. She knew our group was good, based on very little. She even knew how to work Merle. She's not perfect, she makes mistakes, but she does have a pretty good read of people. 

• Love 3
There are three options with Carl/Judith.  The audience hands waves how fast they grow, the show kills them, or they skip big hunks of time each season like they did between the end of season2/3 and 3/4.  At the age Judith is they can get away with casting a new baby, but once she hits 2 or 3 that will be a lot harder.

I have no problem handwaving with Carl. I don't know why. It just doesn't bother me. I joke about it, but when watching, his rapid growth hasn't really taken me out of the moment. Not like the insanely obvious dye jobs that Abraham, Daryl, and sometimes Maggie are sporting. THAT is way more distracting for some reason. But I do think it's good for them to do time jumps when they can - like in between seasons 2 and 3, and 3 and 4. 

• Love 2

Carl's growth doesn't bother me because I had two boys, and they can jump up a foot practically overnight at that age.  It's like they go to bed one night and everything's fine, and the next morning, they look like Urkel with their pants 3" too short.  <lol>

• Love 8

My nephew came to stay with us one summer (us meaning his mothers younger sisters and grandmother). He was maybe about 10 when he arrived with a chubby face and some serious baby fat. We sent him back almost 10 inches taller and a few hairs above his lip. As a child in the 70's (no internet, cable, sex education) I had no idea boys went to bed as Kevin Hart and could wake up as Kevin Durant

I only assumed Carl was in 3rd grade when it all happened based on how he looked (very small for 12 IMO) and the fact Judith was named after his 3rd grade teacher

• Love 5

Yeah, because there are no typically masculine, macho gay men in the Zombie Apocalyse, until we find out that Daryl is gay or Abraham. Or maybe there is a Michael Sam type inside that compound.

Chill, it was just a joke. Besides, I never said gay men couldn't be fabulous and masculine.

Although, the idea of Daryl and Abraham could lead to some interesting fan-fiction...

• Love 1

Most Ive read was Darryl + Glenn, Darryl + Shane, and one really memorable one with Darryl + Rick + Glenn, that one was really special....edit to add I need to see if I can find Maggie + Tara and Maggie + Tara + Glenn

Edited by diebartdie
It's not like DC is a big residential city surrounded by country.

It kinda is, if you go far enough out.  15, 20 miles from Alexandria and you're in the country, or near enough.  30 miles and you'll find a mosaic of farms and new developments, meaning 10 houses crowded onto what was a farm 2 years ago.  This is where I'd set up camp - DC and anything too close to it would be one seething mass of zombies.  Out here in Loudoun County you'll find plenty of working farms, and plenty of ritzy ones with their own power systems.  Loudoun County - come for our lack of zombies, stay for our now-abandoned orchards and vineyards and feral farm animals. 

Another thing that rang false - it's hard to find any area in Virginia without fairly abundant surface water.  I bet you'd be hard pressed to walk 5 miles in these parts in any direction without wading a creek.

Oh, and if you're really clever, you'll head up to Mount Weather - if there's any place left that still up and running, that's it. 

• Love 4

When I said rebuild and repopulate, I meant short term and long term.

If Alexandria really is a place where there are good people who have a safe community, they will want more good people to help against all the psycho killers (of which there is an unlimited supply in this ZA) out there.  Safety in numbers and all that.  Not that anyone in a horror movie ever listens to that advice.

Rick’s group has shown that they can survive, fight walkers/roamers/biters, and they are compassionate.  They have a baby and a teenager, who was a child when this began, with them.  They didn’t leave them behind and only fend for themselves.  They have a man, Noah, who is limping, whether from an injury or disability, and they didn’t leave him behind either.

They have strong young people (both men and women) who are capable, and would be able to help rebuild.  Then several years down the line when it is time to repopulate, these people will still be young enough to have children.

Edited by TigerLynx
  • Love 6

Here are the Nielsen ratings for Season 5, to date:

10-12-14 “No Sanctuary” 17.3 million
10-19-14 “Strangers” 15.143 million
10-26-14 “Four Walls and a Roof” 13.801 million
11-02-14 “Slabtown” 14.518 million
11-09-14 “Self Help” 13.534 million
11-16-14 “Consumed” 14.068 million
11-23-14 “Crossed” 13.329 million
11-30-14 “Coda” 14.807 million
02-08-15 “What Happened and What’s Going On” 15.643 million
02-15-15 “Them” 12.267 million
02-22-15 “The Distance” 13.438 million

• Love 2

If Alexandria really is a place where there are good people who have a safe community, they will want more good people to help against all the psycho killers (of which there is an unlimited supply in this ZA) out there.  Safety in numbers and all that.  Not that anyone in a horror movie ever listens to that advice.

Rick’s group has shown that they can survive, fight walkers/roamers/biters, and they are compassionate.  They have a baby and a teenager, who was a child when this began, with them.  They didn’t leave them behind and only fend for themselves.  They have a man, Noah, who is limping, whether from an injury or disability, and they didn’t leave him behind either.

They have strong young people (both men and women) who are capable, and would be able to help rebuild.  Then several years down the line when it is time to repopulate, these people will still be young enough to have children.

Totally agree with your entire post. At some point they're going to have to get past the "merely surviving" stage and think long term. They were doing that at the prison. But not a good enough job....and there weren't quite enough of them. There ARE going to be a lot of bad guys out there. Natural baddies would thrive in this environment, and I fully believe this environment would create new baddies. You have to really dig deep and bolster yourselves if you're going to protect what you've got. It seems like Alexandria may be thinking long term already, and CDB would definitely be an asset to any type of sustainable community. 

• Love 4

Hi, I'm also coming out of lurkdom! I enjoy reading here because of the thoughtful discussions about my favorite show/obsession. I watched this episode, but haven't had time to pick through it and watch more carefully.

I agree that Rick has PTSD and is reacting to that. I'm sure they all do. He's definitely still their leader, but listens to reason. Michonne got to shine in this episode, which was nice. I loved Glenn with the RV battery; I thought it was well done and subtle. I do love Daryl, even though I know a lot don't care for him as much anymore. I liked how he stated his opinion..."this barn smells like horse shit." Maybe he'll get some of his old wise ass personality back soon. I even liked the bit with Rosita and Red in the camper. In his own weird, gruff way, he was showing his concern.

I'm hoping this community allows them to regroup and rest, if even for a short while. They need it after how we saw them last week, just completely beaten down. I agree there have to be some good people out there. I can also see how the crazies would be out in full force, though. Just think of all the people out there who need medication to function in today's society, whether for depression, anxiety, schizophrenia (which we saw something like that with Lizzie) who are not able to take their meds anymore. I say "crazies" affectionately since I'm one of them and so are a lot of people I know! I don't think I'd go all cannibal, but without my medication, I'd be depressed.

• Love 5

Out here in Loudoun County you'll find plenty of working farms, and plenty of ritzy ones with their own power systems.  Loudoun County - come for our lack of zombies, stay for our now-abandoned orchards and vineyards and feral farm animals.

Yeah, it's pretty nice and safe out here.  They could even hole up in the Redskins' practice facility in Ashburn.   

• Love 2

I just realized what they DON'T have anymore - an old person.  :-(

• Love 3

Catch up time!!! :)

We agree then, more gay folks, yay! Seriously, some people saw that scene as treacley, others didn't but overall it really seems like it's a positive development. In no way do I dislike those characters so far and I hope they get to be full-fledged characters but for all we know, they could be the new black guys of the series...

Far from gratuitous, I thought the Aaron-and-Eric kiss was a plot essential. Thanks to Shane/the Bar Boys (Randall's crew)/the Prison Prisoners/Woodbury/the Governor's Prison Attack/the Governor's Prison Attack Part Deaux/the Claimers/Terminus/Terminus Lite/the Grady Bunch/etc., Rick is at present fully invested heart and soul in the mindset that it's not paranoia if they're really out to get you. Based on past history, Rick is unable to perceive anybody outside CDB as an individual human person - outsiders are a Threat which must be nullified or otherwise dealt with. Every action or flicker of emotion Aaron displays will be viewed in the most negative, suspicious, threatening light possible. Also, many of Aaron's actions and reactions actually do play into this paranoid view. When Aaron freaked out at the sight of the flare, for example, even I wondered if that was an outsider Unleash Armageddon signal and Aaron was trying to get out of the free-fire zone.

This is why, in this context, The Kiss is so significant. Rick has continually analyzed every one of Aaron's actions/reactions in the context of an assassin, a saboteur, a trickster - every view focused on the potential impact to Rick&Co. When Aaron and Eric kiss, however, Rick is shocked into the realization that Aaron is NOT an assassin, or a saboteur, or a trickster - Aaron is an actual honest-to-God separate living breathing HUMAN BEING, with concerns and motivations which have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU OR YOURS, RICK. Aaron's panic at the sight of the flare wasn't fear at being in the line of fire of some malevolent Kill CDB plot; Aaron was fearful for the safety of a member of his family, same as Rick is fearful for his own. IMHO this realization more than anything else breached the emotional walls Rick had built sufficiently to allow him to give Aaron's group a chance.

There's a reason we don't buy acorns in the store, like with other nuts.  Those things are chock full of tannins and cannot be eaten until they've been leeched of those tannins.  Way too tart and acidic.  You have to run water over the crushed nuts about 20 times and then boil them to make the edible to humans.

Aaron thought Judy was crying before?  Just wait until she has a tummy of unleeched acorns, poor thing.

Ahhh, just take her diaper off and leave her in a fenced dog run for a couple of days. She'll be alright.

That was "Logan's Run," written by the brilliant George Clayton Johnson (who I met, once upon a time).

The early-age termination policy of LR society wasn't resource-based. The society was created as the result of a worldwide riot by youth against the elders they saw as the authors of the world's evils (war, poverty, etc.). Lastday was developed as a tool to keep the "evil" of old age from ever having the chance to take root in society again.

• Love 8

So it's occurred to me that I don't understand Michonne's freak-out about the photos.  In my mind, if you're bringing along photos to show how well built your compound is, and how strong the walls are (which is what Aaron was doing--he said the walls are blah, blah, blah, here I have pictures), why would you put people in them?  You'd take pictures of the darned walls. 

And, since cameras have been a luxury for a while, they may not have had the spare film to just photograph the people for fun.  Even if they did, I'd imagine you'd leave the pictures of the people back at camp if the idea is to show how great your walls are built.  You don't want outsiders even knowing who you have in there or what they look like.

• Love 2

This is why, in this context, The Kiss is so significant. Rick has continually analyzed every one of Aaron's actions/reactions in the context of an assassin, a saboteur, a trickster - every view focused on the potential impact to Rick&Co. When Aaron and Eric kiss, however, Rick is shocked into the realization that Aaron is NOT an assassin, or a saboteur, or a trickster - Aaron is an actual honest-to-God separate living breathing HUMAN BEING, with concerns and motivations which have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU OR YOURS, RICK. Aaron's panic at the sight of the flare wasn't fear at being in the line of fire of some malevolent Kill CDB plot; Aaron was fearful for the safety of a member of his family, same as Rick is fearful for his own. IMHO this realization more than anything else breached the emotional walls Rick had built sufficiently to allow him to give Aaron's group a chance.

Aaron could still be all of that and still out to screw Rick & co.

• Love 2

My nephew came to stay with us one summer (us meaning his mothers younger sisters and grandmother). He was maybe about 10 when he arrived with a chubby face and some serious baby fat. We sent him back almost 10 inches taller and a few hairs above his lip. As a child in the 70's (no internet, cable, sex education) I had no idea boys went to bed as Kevin Hart and could wake up as Kevin Durant.

And I'll bet you guys were also feeding the hell out of that boy!

It kinda is, if you go far enough out.  15, 20 miles from Alexandria and you're in the country, or near enough.  30 miles and you'll find a mosaic of farms and new developments, meaning 10 houses crowded onto what was a farm 2 years ago.    Out here in Loudoun County you'll find plenty of working farms, and plenty of ritzy ones with their own power systems.  Loudoun County - come for our lack of zombies, stay for our now-abandoned orchards and vineyards and feral farm animals. 

That is if you keep heading south into Virginia.  If you go north, via Maryland, there is more going on.  I would recommend that they come here to Maryland.  Any of those ritzy farms in Virginia will be protected equally ritzy perimeter defense systems.  We have farms too in MD - and crabs - we will be more hospitable!  *snerk*

You can pretty much tell by the scout team that the Alexandrians haven't happened upon psycho's of the nature that our folks have.  Place isn't the problem or the answer.  The prison was a nice set up.  With more people - and a bullet to Lizzie, stopping her from feeding the walkers - they could have built up a nice community, rebuilt the walls and prehaps even the power generators.  The Governor came in with guns, grenades and a tank.  Terminus was a relatively nice place too.  Like Alexandria they let people in but the psychos they let in brought down the property value and the Termites took PTSD to the extreme.  The hospital was pleasant enough but the locals were very hostile.  And Lord what would have become of Aaron if he ran into Joe's group?

The point is that there is no shortage of "places" where they can cool out for a bit and build something that thrives, but it always comes down to the people.  It only takes one psycho to send everything to hell.  I don't trust ANY "place" that hasn't come up with a way to deal with the psychos. Until then plan for each stay to be temporary.  If Aaron is their shining example, I don't have much hope.

Edited by Timetoread
  • Love 3
That is if you keep heading south into Virginia.  If you go north, via Maryland, there is more going on.  I would recommend that they come here to Maryland.  Any of those ritzy farms in Virginia will be protected equally ritzy perimeter defense systems

Naw - dead south of DC (depending on which side of the river you're on) is either the 95 corridor (already a zombie superhighway) or the eastern shore (very rural and, to my knowledge, poor).  You want to head dead west towards the Blue Ridge, an admirable combination of rich folks and low population density, but unfortunately (for our present purposes), very little crime.  This means pretty much none of the place is surrounded by fences, unless you count low stone walls that won't stop a zombie.  The nearest thing we have to solid fences are meant to keep deer off your plants, useful but they wont' stop a group of walkers.  On the good side, my guess is that finding ammo won't be a problem, and we have shit-loads of well-fed deer and great well water.  Not gonna find that in Alexandria.

• Love 3

And I'll bet you guys were also feeding the hell out of that boy!

Yep! Every summer at that house was the "Honey Boo Boo diet" But we had bikes, walked to school and played outside so we weren't the size of a small truck. Back then coming inside was the punishment!

Welcome all newcomers and former lurkers. Now pick a side before I put a knife in the base of your skull. I have machete with a red handle and I'm not afraid to use it *Rick stare*

Edited by Boofish
  • Love 5

P.S. Welcome, nursejen!

Thanks! I'm excited to finally post here. No one I know is at my level of obsession and my husband thinks I'm nuts.

I agree that showing the relationship between Aaron and Erin did help CDB (especially Rick) to be able to see that they are more human than the previous groups they've encountered. While I was watching, though, it seemed like A and E were very unconcerned about the group that was right there, but I haven't had a chance to rewatch ( theses darn kids of mine are scared of zombies, ugh).

• Love 3

So it's occurred to me that I don't understand Michonne's freak-out about the photos.  In my mind, if you're bringing along photos to show how well built your compound is, and how strong the walls are (which is what Aaron was doing--he said the walls are blah, blah, blah, here I have pictures), why would you put people in them?  You'd take pictures of the darned walls. 

And, since cameras have been a luxury for a while, they may not have had the spare film to just photograph the people for fun.  Even if they did, I'd imagine you'd leave the pictures of the people back at camp if the idea is to show how great your walls are built.  You don't want outsiders even knowing who you have in there or what they look like.

I don't know.  I kinda freaked out the way Michonne did.  It was okay when it was a picture of the walls.  But if memory serves (and it doesn't always) there were pictures of houses and what appeared to be maybe the center of 'town,' and they were all devoid of people.  Like pictures of a ghost town instead of a real community.  I would have expected to see at least a couple of people either walking around or working in a couple of the pictures.  I thought it was kind of creepy to see everything so deserted.

• Love 6

I don't know.  I kinda freaked out the way Michonne did.  It was okay when it was a picture of the walls.  But if memory serves (and it doesn't always) there were pictures of houses and what appeared to be maybe the center of 'town,' and they were all devoid of people.  Like pictures of a ghost town instead of a real community.  I would have expected to see at least a couple of people either walking around or working in a couple of the pictures.  I thought it was kind of creepy to see everything so deserted.

Yep. Which leads me to believe that the only inhabitants are J Crew, LL Bean, Pete the Surgeon and a recording of kids playing.

• Love 8
Yep. Which leads me to believe that the only inhabitants are J Crew, LL Bean, Pete the Surgeon and a recording of kids playing.

Agreed and agreed. If you had a whole community, somebody would be in those pictures. I am betting there are just a few of them and they need numbers to build their group back up.

• Love 3

The pictures looked to me like the kind you take with a homemade box camera. The exposure on those are lengthy and tricky to use. Getting a person in the shot means them standing totally still for 30 minutes or more or they appear almost ghostlike so I got what he meant and why the truth sounded funny especially to someone who's never messed with developing pictures with one.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I still think they'd purposely keep the people out of pictures.  What if a group wasn't accepted, then they later bump into someone from the compound (another scouter,  hunter, etc.) they recognize from a picture, and they immediately say "I know you--you're from that camp that turned me away and now because of your group leaving us out here to fend for ourselves my greasy friend Daryl is dead!  I'm gonna put a knife to the base of your skull!"  (You know, just a hypothetical someone.)  I feel like you wouldn't want the faces of any of your group but the scouting party known until you're sure of the folks you're dealing with.  If you had lots of kids or older folks you'd definitely not want their pictures out, to make it known you had a lot of people inside who couldn't fight.

Naw - dead south of DC (depending on which side of the river you're on) is either the 95 corridor (already a zombie superhighway) or the eastern shore (very rural and, to my knowledge, poor).  You want to head dead west towards the Blue Ridge, an admirable combination of rich folks and low population density, but unfortunately (for our present purposes), very little crime.  This means pretty much none of the place is surrounded by fences, unless you count low stone walls that won't stop a zombie.  The nearest thing we have to solid fences are meant to keep deer off your plants, useful but they wont' stop a group of walkers.  On the good side, my guess is that finding ammo won't be a problem, and we have shit-loads of well-fed deer and great well water.  Not gonna find that in Alexandria.

And it would be dead south and dead west...

Thanks! I'm excited to finally post here. No one I know is at my level of obsession and my husband thinks I'm nuts.

I agree that showing the relationship between Aaron and Erin did help CDB (especially Rick) to be able to see that they are more human than the previous groups they've encountered. While I was watching, though, it seemed like A and E were very unconcerned about the group that was right there, but I haven't had a chance to rewatch ( theses darn kids of mine are scared of zombies, ugh).

Get those kids some acorn mash and big hats to ease them into things!

I do see your points, though.  There could be people far away, not facing the camera, just to show there are people in the place.  I'm wondering if maybe they just got hung up on 'they're gonna love our great walls!' and didn't really consider how weird it might seem to people.

• Love 1

Far from gratuitous, I thought the Aaron-and-Eric kiss was a plot essential.  ...  Based on past history, Rick is unable to perceive anybody outside CDB as an individual human person - outsiders are a Threat which must be nullified or otherwise dealt with. Every action or flicker of emotion Aaron displays will be viewed in the most negative, suspicious, threatening light possible ...

This is why, in this context, The Kiss is so significant. Rick has continually analyzed every one of Aaron's actions/reactions in the context of an assassin, a saboteur, a trickster - every view focused on the potential impact to Rick&Co. When Aaron and Eric kiss, however, Rick is shocked into the realization that Aaron is NOT an assassin, or a saboteur, or a trickster - Aaron is an actual honest-to-God separate living breathing HUMAN BEING, with concerns and motivations which have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU OR YOURS, RICK. ...  IMHO this realization more than anything else breached the emotional walls Rick had built sufficiently to allow him to give Aaron's group a chance.

I thought they were alone in the back room and noone saw the kiss but us viewers? Everyone was headed out to greet the other half of CDB who had just shown up, they all were either still outside or in the front room.  Aaron on the other hand ran inside immediately to find Eric who was calling to him. Rick walked in on them later, after Aaron had just taken Eric's hand (or maybe it was vice versa) and Aaron subtly de-handed him when he noticed Rick, and then Eric said Hello I'm Eric. ...  

So I am pretty sure Rick didn't see anything but the hand thing.  His eyes though told us that he clearly recognized he had just walked in on a tender moment between two people who are more than just friends.

• Love 2

There is a part of me that hopes Martinez and his family are living there. They are the only OG's from CDB we don't know the fate of unless I'm missing someone

Edited by Boofish
  • Love 2
and they immediately say "I know you--you're from that camp that turned me away and now because of your group leaving us out here to fend for ourselves my greasy friend Daryl is dead!  I'm gonna put a knife to the base of your skull!"  (You know, just a hypothetical someone.)

Y'all are hard on my man Rick!

Oh Im sure there's already plenty of that!

In the world of fanfiction, everyone is homosexual, even Carl, since the "writers" feel the need to venture into pedophilia even when basic grammar, spelling and punctuation is way beyond their skills.

As for the acorns, apparently they are very nutritious, and in the south, not even bitter tasting. The things I learn watching this show!

http://askville.amazon.com/acorns-edible/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=17756711

• Love 3

I know I'd be the first to die in my friend group if there ever was a ZA, but I need to stay optimistic. When Aaron showed up last week, my first thought was, he didn't ambush them. Maybe there is good news after all. There have GOT to be good people left in this world. this cannot be the remains of morality too. I'm with Michonne...but I also agree with carol. Even though Rick was wrong, he's right.

• Love 4

I thought they were alone in the back room and noone saw the kiss but us viewers? Everyone was headed out to greet the other half of CDB who had just shown up, they all were either still outside or in the front room. Aaron on the other hand ran inside immediately to find Eric who was calling to him. Rick walked in on them later, after Aaron had just taken Eric's hand (or maybe it was vice versa) and Aaron subtly de-handed him when he noticed Rick, and then Eric said Hello I'm Eric. ...

So I am pretty sure Rick didn't see anything but the hand thing. His eyes though told us that he clearly recognized he had just walked in on a tender moment between two people who are more than just friends.

Even if the camerawork didn't blatantly portray it, I don't see Suspicious Rick letting two of these Others have a private moment to whisper sweet nothings in each other's ear - and, just possibly, get their stories straight. Especially not after Aaron's big "You're Going To Have To Shoot Me" bit.

I expect Rick was hanging back in the shadows, watching and listening.

Like Eugene.

But different.

ETA: fixing typos

Edited by Nashville
  • Love 9

But if you don't repopulate then, obviously, society dies out. Granted, I'm a newer viewer, but have marathoned through the other mistakes, but I think this is a good place. Doesn't mean it will be perfect, there may be rules they don't care for, etc. but I think Aaron is alright and I think there are many reasons  why he would want to add this group. For the most part, the men and women (in fact, at this point all the women)  are damn resourceful warriors.  Although I have a bit more trouble figuring out how two guys have really been close enough to observe much, the fact is this is a loyal group. They all have each others backs. The core group, at the very least, is a real family in every sense that matters. They must be reasonably smart (Ricks insistence on traveling at night aside,) they are still alive and have managed to keep a baby alive. No small feat in a ZA.

Yes, CDB are good folks. REPOPULATE does not mean add new adults to your adult social/work group or whatever. It means increase the population by reproduction. I am all for humans that are decent folk with something to offer being teamed up with other people like them. I am not in favor of this baby-making idea (which, in fairness, has been suggested since season1. There was a lot of talk about "breeding stock" . Puh-leeeze.)

Hi, I'm also coming out of lurkdom! I enjoy reading here because of the thoughtful discussions about my favorite show/obsession. I watched this episode, but haven't had time to pick through it and watch more carefully.

I agree that Rick has PTSD and is reacting to that. I'm sure they all do. He's definitely still their leader, but listens to reason. Michonne got to shine in this episode, which was nice. I loved Glenn with the RV battery; I thought it was well done and subtle. I do love Daryl, even though I know a lot don't care for him as much anymore. I liked how he stated his opinion..."this barn smells like horse shit." Maybe he'll get some of his old wise ass personality back soon. I even liked the bit with Rosita and Red in the camper. In his own weird, gruff way, he was showing his concern.

I'm hoping this community allows them to regroup and rest, if even for a short while. They need it after how we saw them last week, just completely beaten down. I agree there have to be some good people out there. I can also see how the crazies would be out in full force, though. Just think of all the people out there who need medication to function in today's society, whether for depression, anxiety, schizophrenia (which we saw something like that with Lizzie) who are not able to take their meds anymore. I say "crazies" affectionately since I'm one of them and so are a lot of people I know! I don't think I'd go all cannibal, but without my medication, I'd be depressed.

Welcome to our nightmare!

That's on the list: when the ZA hits, stock up on the little pink happy pills.

And I always thought that there was nothing wrong with Lori that a few quaaludes couldn't fix.

• Love 2