Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: The Keys

They will go to Chechnya? Ha ha, I'm Russian, so I already expect lots of hilariousness, because few US shows bother to get Russia right. I wonder if it will be at least tolerable or just batshit crazy like in "Alias"  or "Arrow".

Oooooooohhhhhhhh.   "where would you go?"   Flashforward to Cole say "The Keys."   Tell me he didn't get blowed up with the virus.    My goodness, the friendship between Cole and Cassie is what makes me care about Cole's mission.   Even the introduction of Politboy doesn't affect that.   He is helpful and treats Cole well and supports Cassie, but Cole and Cassie have something special.   Not necessarily love, but a closeness that is not there with anyone else.

Gillian, I loved that tandoori chicken thing too. He was awesome during the entire scene there.

At the end when he asked Cassie for the plans to get to where the suitcase was going, when Cassie said "goodbye" to him I wondered if he sensed something in that & will do something to get out of the building. Of course he could have splintered before the bomb hit. I don't think we've seen the end of him.

• Love 2

While Cole appears to have stopped the outbreak centered on Chechnya that was mentioned in the alternative 2043 universe, that doesn't mean that was the only samples of the virus.  So I think Cole splintered before he was incinerated by the missile and he'll be back soon.  Plus, Cole still needs to go back to 1987 to meet Leland Goines. 

The Army of the 12 Monkeys originated as some sort of annihilation cult in Japan -- I'm curious to learn more about that.

Taking out the Edward Snowden-like CIA exposer, Wexler, with an incredibly contagious and deadly bio-weapon that could potentially get out of hand and wipe out 99.9% of the people on the planet gives new meaning to the word 'overkill'.   Hopefully it doesn't give the real world CIA any ideas.

• Love 5

Ouch, I'm usually good with the time travel stuff, but this time, my head was hurting a bit with the whole "I'm in Chechnya already, because y'all told me it happen today.  Not yet though!  Y'all tell me in a week!" bit.  I think Aaron was pretty much speaking me, with all of his "WTF?" reactions to that twist.  I feel you, man.

So, that ending was something.  No way can this be it.  I have to think that the virus threat isn't completely done, and I certainly doubt this is the last of Cole.  Not sure how baring a last minute time-splinter, but I doubt the lead is getting killed off in episode seven.

A lot of great Cole/Cassie stuff.  Loved the lighter moments like the dance and Cole taking all the tandoori chicken, and then the final serious moments with the phone conversation, and then Cassie having to keep what she knows from "Doomed" Cole.  I really like the chemistry Aaron Stanford and Amanda Schull have.

Hey, Leland's protegee from the pilot makes a return.  I wonder if he'll be showing back up again.

So, that was Ari Millen as Wexler a.k.a. Edward Snowden 2.0.

I was fine with no future stuff this time.

• Love 1

Cole probably splintered but he didn't seem to have any of his pre-splintering symptoms.  Well, we know he survived somehow.  This show just keeps getting better and I like that it hasn't become predictable. 

• Love 2

Loved Aaron saying after Cole disappeared: "I'm just worried about my tux."

So he never gets it back, or maybe he will, lol.

I am so hoping that red forest juice from last week will cure Cole of his time jumping bends. Maybe he can pick some up back in 1987.

Agree with everyone that last scene was wonderful.

I love that the writers must've said to each other something like: We don't need no frackin' triangle. We don't even need any sex scenes. We're just gonna make a threesome that sizzles.

I've been a fan of time travel since the 60s when I was a kid, so this episode was speaking my 4th dimensional language. Heh.

• Love 7

I love that I really have no idea where they are going with this show. In the first episode, we see Cole change the past by scratching the future watch. After that, everything else seems to be a case of predestination paradox (notably demonstrated during Atari). Then, last week, we see an alternate future timeline that Cole seemingly changes, and now this week, it looks like they're back to the causality loop theory. At the same time, we apparently see the end of the threat that has been driving the story, except that we know it can't possibly be the end of things, if only because Cole hasn't yet gone back to 1987 and met Leland.

At the same time, even knowing that wasn't the end of Cole*, they've done such a great job with the characters and the sense of the unknown, that I really felt that it could possibly have been his death somehow. Or at least had that moment of loss. 

This show is just a real testament to strong writing, performing, and plotting.

(*Just occurred to me as I was writing that sentence, but what if that really was the death of Cole? And that the Cole that will be in the rest of the show, or at least the one that meets Leland in 1987, is actually the Cole from the alternate timeline of last episode? Maybe there are parallel Coles splintering through time?)

• Love 4

Ha, Cole taking all those chicken skewers was the best. I loved that in the last scene, Cassie knew that Cole was going to die so she got him some of the Chinese food that he loved.

There are still five episodes left so I wonder what we are going to see next. I am glad this wasn't the finale though. It would be too much of a bummer to know that Cole is gone forever!

I like that Aaron is totally part of the team now and that his only concern was whether he would get his tux back. But I also enjoyed that he thought he was being so sly but his boss was totally on to him.

• Love 2

Ha, Cole taking all those chicken skewers was the best. I loved that in the last scene, Cassie knew that Cole was going to die so she got him some of the Chinese food that he loved.

Yes this was a good episode. I just love the dynamic between Cassie and Cole. It is like Cole gets a few minutes of joy / fun when he is with Cassie and that is fun to watch. Obviously Cole isn't dead but I can't wait to see how they get him out of this one. I enjoy that Aaron is part of the team now but also, not sure where he fits. At one point there he was pretty touchy feely with Cassie and I don't know if he thinks he is till her boyfriend when it seems like she has moved on.

• Love 1

I'm happy that so far the writing in this show is keeping me interested.  Love the acting and sets and all of it.  Not sure how Cole survives or if he survives, which makes me really want to see the rest of the show!!!  Good job writers!

I too love the present day stuff more than the future stuff although I would miss Ramses if we stayed mostly in the present. What I didn't enjoy was the gory torture stuff (seemingly necessary in scifi shows) of two episodes ago.  Ick!

Now I have to wait a week?  Hate that, but it just means that this is a winner of a story. 

I really love the way this show is using the time travel conceit. Having Cole die in the middle of the episode, only for an earlier version to turn up at the end, set to go back in time to die. The non-linear aspect of it works really well, and puts the emotions through the wringer.

Cassie's distress first over Cole dying and then over the fact that she had a chance to save him but had to lie to him and let him go off to die? Gah. Amanda Schull sold it all so well, and I really think she's going to need to get him back somehow, or she'll be spending another couple of years in a dark place. Because how do you recover emotionally from just letting someone you care about die, when you know you could have warned them?

And I have to say, Cole's almost nihilistic (Wexler nailed it when describing Cole, didn't he?) desire to see this all through to the bitter (or better?) end is really strong. He knows that fixing the past will erase him, and he knows that even if he doesn't succeed, he's still going to eventually splinter into his component molecules one day. He even knows that he'll never get to enjoy his life with Cassie or Ramse or anyone. And he never blinks in the face of that knowledge. I do think that, at some point, he's going to want more. And I think it will become an issue for Cassie that their mission is going to have the added effect of erasing Cole.

In just seven episodes, they've really sold this connection between the two of them, and that has as much to do with the strength of the performances as it does with the writing.

I wish we'd seen Ramse react to Cole reappearing in the future in a tuxedo, by the way. And I enjoyed him eating and dancing his way through that party. The idea that all of this, these sophisticated parties, the ability to appreciate beauty, even just being able to eat food that tastes good, is all completely new to him. He takes it all in stride, really. It seems like Cassie appreciates being able to be the one to introduce him to this stuff.

So I really hope this Cole isn't dead, because they've covered so much ground, and developed him so much, as well as his relationship with Cassie, that seeing it lost and replaced by a new Cole would be heartbreaking. I'm definitely leaning towards him twigging that something was off because of Cassie's "goodbye" and setting up a contingency that gets him out of there in the nick of time. Aaron Stanford definitely played that moment like he realised something was wrong.

• Love 17
Danny Franks, I heart your whole post and want to marry it. I had wished they could have worked Ramse into this episode, and you even thought of a way that could have worked as a cameo--just looking baffled at Cole in the tux.

...So I really hope this Cole isn't dead, because they've covered so much ground, and developed him so much, as well as his relationship with Cassie, that seeing it lost and replaced by a new Cole would be heartbreaking. I'm definitely leaning towards him twigging that something was off because of Cassie's "goodbye" and setting up a contingency that gets him out of there in the nick of time. Aaron Stanford definitely played that moment like he realised something was wrong.

I hadn't really considered that "this" Cole could be dead, but of course, that was what we saw, wasn't it? So I hope you're right!
  • Love 1

I just had a thought.  At the end, Aaron had what he called the after action report of Operation Troy with the timetable and location of the courier.  The CIA would have had to give that to him.   Does that mean the government now believes that Cole is really a time traveler?

I just had a thought.  At the end, Aaron had what he called the after action report of Operation Troy with the timetable and location of the courier.  The CIA would have had to give that to him.   Does that mean the government now believes that Cole is really a time traveler?

I guess that depends upon what you mean by "now," heh.

How is Cole getting around the world without a passport?  Did he apply for a passport?  

He just splinters when he ends of in differ countries, so far.

I cried for the last 15 minutes of this episode.  I really felt the loss and guilt for Cassie and Cole.

Next week looks interesting.  Xander Berkley is on, love him.

Edited by dirtydi
  • Love 1

It just occurred to me that the museum scene was the most we would get to see Amanda Schull dance. This show doesn't exactly have opportune moments for extended dance sequences.

• Love 2

Haha, I have expected this show's take on Chechnya to be hilariously wrong, and it has not disappointed. I was laughing all the way through the 1st part. I mean, the address/Cole's tattoo managed to have several very obvious grammar mistakes - in fact so obvious, Google Translate would have probably done a better job! Also, the spoken Russian was surprisingly correct (spoken by native speakers, even) - couldn't they have asked them? The numbers on one of the cars were wrong too (no Latin letters are permitted on Russian license plates), although they've managed to do some research for the region codes (as for the cars themselves, I'think I've noticed some actual Russian models, which is impressive). Some of the shop titles in the background were also incredibly fake. And the taxi driver knowing English? Ha-ha-ha. No. Russian taxi drivers, especially in the backwoods of the country, are basically the gutter of society. This is just bullshit. Oh well. At least I had fun.

As for the other parts of the ep, I've really enjoyed the opening scenes with Cole/Cassandra - great chemistry, good job on both of the actors' parts. But the operation itself? The CIA sending ONE MAN with a deadly virus without lots of backup and monitoring? Seriously? The mind boggles. Still, other than some nitpicking, a GREAT episode, anchored by strong performances and some nice relationship writing. And holy shit, Cass did it! I really expected her to fuck the shit up to save Cole, but she chose the world over him, and this is so. damn. refreshing, especially for a female character (sadly most writers think they should be led by emotions). She didn't even kiss him or anything (although I wouldn't have minded, TBH). Totally my favorite episode of the show so far. Also, I love Cass. She's the best.

• Love 1

I'm definitely leaning towards him twigging that something was off because of Cassie's "goodbye" and setting up a contingency that gets him out of there in the nick of time. Aaron Stanford definitely played that moment like he realised something was wrong.

I just thought the way the episode started hinted at splintering at the end right before the explosion.  Though this show has fooled me before.  Cole even mentioned that "that all makes sense to him now" so he did know something was off.

And holy shit, Cass did it! I really expected her to fuck the shit up to save Cole, but she chose the world over him, and this is so. damn. refreshing, especially for a female character (sadly most writers think they should be led by emotions). She didn't even kiss him or anything (although I wouldn't have minded, TBH).

Yes I appreciated that. I think it is interesting that Cassie seems to be getting harder ( at the party she kept wanting to get on with the mission) and Cole seems to be getting softer appreciating the art etc.. as they go along.

• Love 1

I'm pretty sure that it's not that Cole is getting softer per se, it's him truly realizing his days are numbered (thus the need to taste life), plus having close bonds with more people (he used to have only Ramse, now there's also Cass and even Jones and Aaron).

• Love 4

I'm pretty sure that it's not that Cole is getting softer per se, it's him truly realizing his days are numbered (thus the need to taste life), plus having close bonds with more people (he used to have only Ramse, now there's also Cass and even Jones and Aaron).

I think there's also the fact that he thinks Cassie is just fantastic. He's never met a woman like her before (clean, well-nourished, smells nice), and she seems to have knocked him for a loop. So it's not that he's going soft, just that he wants to spend some of those numbered days with Cassie. He's not exactly a whiz at the dating thing, but he seemed to be trying to turn their little mission into a date in this episode.

That's why I think, if the show continues long enough, he'll start being torn between fixing the future and erasing himself, and just trying to spend as many days with Cassie as possible before things go south. The other interesting question, as I mentioned earlier, is when does Cassie start thinking that this unknown future might not be worth losing Cole? She struggled with it in this episode, but came through, yet I think the closer she grows to him, the harder it will be for her to accept the prospect of losing Cole.

• Love 2

I have only just discovered this series and got caught up with Ondemand.  Damn!  What a terrific show.  Visually they do wonders with what I'm assuming is a small budget.  Even though there are times when I can clearly see the cost cutting it doesn't bother me one bit because the acting and writing are so good.

This was my second favorite episode (Atari is my fav so far).  They managed to work in more humourous moments than in other episodes.  At first, when the waiter appoached Cole, I thought he was going to refuse the food because the skewers looked exactly like what he was tortured with in the previous episode.  But then he grabs them all and walks around with his bouquet of tandoori chicken.  Hysterical!  Cassie notices, is amused, but says nothing.  And the whole exchange between Cole and Aaron about the gun. Ha!

I loved how after Cole's conversation with Jones about his limited number of jumps he wanted to take just a few minutes with Cassie and just be themselves.  This was the first time he wasn't all "gotta work the mission".  How this will play out I can't say.  Assuming this show is given another season I can see Cole struggling with feelings for Cassie and a growing appreciation for life in 2015 vs. saving the world.  But since they've established his jumps are few and finite I'm not sure how they can stretch this out.  In any case I'm along for the ride however long it lasts.

Edited by solea

This episode, especially, reminded me if "Memento". A mystery film that had two plotlines chained throughout the film. One shown chronologically and one in reverse order until the whole story surfaced at the end. Much like River Song in Doctor Who. Loved it! 

• Love 1

I like when the show reminds us how much the world changed due to the virus by having Cole be unaware of things. Last week it was 911 and license plates, both of which totally make sense, and this week it was art and dancing. On a worse show, those moments could have been tacky or lame but instead they're sad and moving. No police system to help and no art of any kind tells you a lot about the kind of society they're living in. Sinilarly, I liked that when Wexler tried to get all philosophical about how it might be good to wipe everyone out with a virus and start over, Cole told him that it doesn't make everything better but worse. He may be a nihilist but he still wants to change the future and save millions of lives at the cost of his own which shows what an impact the mission has had on him in a relatively short time.

• Love 1
(edited)

And I have to say, Cole's almost nihilistic (Wexler nailed it when describing Cole, didn't he?) desire to see this all through to the bitter (or better?) end is really strong. He knows that fixing the past will erase him, and he knows that even if he doesn't succeed, he's still going to eventually splinter into his component molecules one day. He even knows that he'll never get to enjoy his life with Cassie or Ramse or anyone. And he never blinks in the face of that knowledge. I do think that, at some point, he's going to want more. And I think it will become an issue for Cassie that their mission is going to have the added effect of erasing Cole.

Very much agree with this, and I think we already saw it in this episode, with Cole trying to enjoy those special moments at the museum. It is the reality of knowing he only has a few jumps left that really seems to be driving home what he'd just sort of taken for granted and shrugged off before- that he is going to cease to exist. I think it would be great to see him second guess that, and wonder if he should even be trying to change the future at all. It's like Ramse told him before when Cole said "Maybe things happen the way they do for a reason" and Ramse responded "If that's true, then why undo it at all?"

I will say, though, it seemed as if Cass has forgiven Cole a little too quickly for killing Henri- I'd have liked to see a bit more done with that revelation and her reaction, but I suppose there is still time.

And speaking of alternate Coles- it just occurred to me, playing on the notion of last week's alternate future- what if this Cole is already from an alternate future. IE, he saved (or saves) Cassie's timeline, but- in the nature of the predestination paradox- cannot ever save his own, really? They are parallel timelines, and he is jumping sideways, rather than lengthwise along the timelines?

Edited by Cthulhudrew

...I will say, though, it seemed as if Cass has forgiven Cole a little too quickly for killing Henri- I'd have liked to see a bit more done with that revelation and her reaction, but I suppose there is still time....

This was my only complaint with the episode. Maybe Cole's willingness to sacrifice himself was supposed to speak to Cassie and cause her to forgive hime, but a phrase or two might have been nice.

...And speaking of alternate Coles- it just occurred to me, playing on the notion of last week's alternate future- what if this Cole is already from an alternate future. IE, he saved (or saves) Cassie's timeline, but- in the nature of the predestination paradox- cannot ever save his own, really? They are parallel timelines, and he is jumping sideways, rather than lengthwise along the timelines?

I don't understand what you mean by the part I bolded. I understand the jumping sideways (well, more like diagonal), but I'm not sure how it would effect the plot outcome.

I have only just discovered this series and got caught up with Ondemand.  Damn!  What a terrific show....

But since they've established his jumps are few and finite I'm not sure how they can stretch this out....

I'm very encouraged that even one person on this thread is catching up, because you no doubt represent others doing the same.

Upthread I suggested that the hallucinogen introduced in Red Forest might have properties that protect a body during time travel. I hoped it meant Cassie might eventually time travel and that it might allow Cole to survive more time traveling.

I don't understand what you mean by the part I bolded. I understand the jumping sideways (well, more like diagonal), but I'm not sure how it would effect the plot outcome.

I guess what I mean is- the conceit that the story is based around is that in Cassie's future, the plague is unleashed and it leads to the end of humanity that results in Cole and his time splintering. But what if we (and the characters) are all mistaken, and Cole hasn't actually gone into his own past timeline, but instead was sent into an alternate/parallel timeline where- because he went back in time- the plague didn't happen. IE, in the end, he and everyone will else will realize that his future/present won't and can't change, but Cassie's future will and has, because they are two separate universes, essentially.

I don't know, just a theory that might explain why everything already seems predestined, yet we know there are different timelines 

But you're right, it doesn't really affect the plot, necessarily.

• Love 1
(edited)
Cole hasn't actually gone into his own past timeline, but instead was sent into an alternate/parallel timeline where- because he went back in time- the plague didn't happen.

Time travel doesn't seem to work this way on the show. We saw "present" Cole get a wound when his past version was injured. And also, the events in 2015, if changed, influence the events in 2043. I don't think the alternate world theory is in work in this case, as much as I'd like it to be because it generally makes way more sense (for instance, I HATE Terminator-like closed time loop because it's generally a very stupid trope).

Upthread I suggested that the hallucinogen introduced in Red Forest might have properties that protect a body during time travel. I hoped it meant Cassie might eventually time travel and that it might allow Cole to survive more time traveling.

I've thought about Cassie inevitably having to get the ability to time travel, and I was horrified because I've immediately imagined a shark-jumping scenario when she gets pregnant with his special baby who is innately a time traveler because of reasons, etc... Your version is at least better, although it depends on the reasoning of 12 Monkeys.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 2
(edited)

Every time I see the title of this episode, I've been feeling a tug of emotion for Cole that is increased by empathy because I live in the frickin' tundra on Lake Michigan only because of employment because I'm too old to get a comparable job somewhere warmer, and the Keys is pretty high up on my fantasy places to retire if I don't die first.

The title of the episode, "The Keys," looks like a double entendre to me--referring to keys to a solution to the problem of the end of civilization and maybe avoiding the death of self and significant others in the pursuit of that goal. Did the writers choose the episode title just to be cute and clever? I mean, the title could have been "Hawaii" otherwise.

"The Keys" could also a clue both from Cole to Cassie and from the writers to us that he/they have seen something in the future which can only be hinted at to Cassie and to us?

ETA paragraph breaks for clarity

Edited by shapeshifter
(edited)
Did the writers choose the episode title just to be cute and clever? I mean, the title could have been "Hawaii" otherwise.

I think the Keys is sort of a callback to the movie Twelve Monkeys. The Florida Keys were mentioned as adverts a few times in the movie. Movie Cole and Kathryn Railly were also planning to escape to Key West at the end of the movie.

Edited by waving feather
  • Love 2

It's trivial but something I liked about the episode was Cole telling the cab driver "Look, we see them, they don't see us, OK?". It just so Cole. He is not a trained spy so doesn't speak the technical jargon of tailing someone but he knows what he is doing by instinct (without proper plans and all). I like that he always sticks to his tried and tested formula of getting information: intimidation by the usual phrase "I don't want to hurt you but I will if I have to". I'm glad the writers are quite consistent with Cole's skill sets and doesn't make him be good at everything. He's not good at verbal negotiation (like Aaron and Cassandra is) but he can get himself out of a tough spot physically.

• Love 5
(edited)

Did the writers choose the episode title just to be cute and clever? I mean, the title could have been "Hawaii" otherwise.

TV Cole also answers Cassie's question about where he would go if he could go anywhere, and he mentions the Florida Keys, because he saw pictures in a magazine when he was in foster care. Love Key West, BTW.

Edited by BigBlueMastiff

...The title of the episode, "The Keys," looks like a double entendre to me--referring to keys to a solution to the problem of the end of civilization and maybe avoiding the death of self and significant others in the pursuit of that goal. Did the writers choose the episode title just to be cute and clever? I mean, the title could have been "Hawaii" otherwise.

"The Keys" could also a clue both from Cole to Cassie and from the writers to us that he/they have seen something in the future which can only be hinted at to Cassie and to us?...

I think the Keys is sort of a callback to the movie Twelve Monkeys. The Florida Keys were mentioned as adverts a few times in the movie. Movie Cole and Kathryn Railly were also planning to escape to Key West at the end of the movie.
I didn't remember that.

So, rather than the TV show writers choosing The Keys as Cole's fantasy island just to create a double entendre, more likely they played with the words of the destination mentioned in the movie, inserting them into the title in a cryptic way.

Regardless, it's not Maui.