Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Impala

• Start Topic

16 minutes ago, AwesomO4000 said:

Cool! I'll have to keep that in mind if we ever get to London.*

Lots and lots to do there, just saying.  ;-)  And, of course, you can hop on the train at Liverpool station, take it to Stansted, and fly pretty much anywhere in Europe, thanks to Ryan Air.  Or German Wings.  Or any of the low-cost, no-frills airlines.

Getting to Europe always seems to be the hardest (read: most expensive) part.  ;-)

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 8:50 AM, rue721 said:

Ugh I had stress dreams all night last night about my FORMER job. I haven't even worked there in something like 9 months.

I feel like something about being waitstaff brings on the stress dreams. I've never heard of anybody having them as frequently or as bad as bartenders and waiters do. And even after going through a very stressful week at my current job (in an office, doing accounting), I am still having waitstaff stress dreams. It's bizarre.

The weirdest waiting tables stress dream I ever had was one time when I was trying to waitress in this fantastical restaurant that was a maze of connected rooms, and all the customers were (literal) trolls. The weirdest part about it was that I wasn't even worried about them being trolls or anything, what was so stressful was that I was trying to keep everyone's drinks refilled and there were just so many empty glasses. I'd go into yet another tiny room crammed with trolls and ALL their water glasses would be at least half empty. There was no way I could get my water pitcher to everyone in time.

Maybe part of the reason for all the waiting tables/bartending stress dreams is that people lower on the totem pole get them more in general. The only person at my current job who I know gets them is the lone administrative assistant (who is actually quitting this week, natch). But is it that people who get them are more likely to be lower on the totem pole, or is it being lower on the totem pole that brings them on? Or maybe higher ups just don't want to talk about it as freely.

I have to say, I laughed at this! But it was with complete sympathy! Everyone had then! I taught theoretical mathematics at grad school, and would have dreams of going to work and being expected to teach Japanese! This was a recurring dream and I woke up in a panic every time! 

But I love the fact the trolls didn't faze you.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, AwesomO4000 said:

That would be great, @Mick Lady. Just be aware that hotel rooms can go quickly, so if you have any designs on going this year, you might have to decide soon. I'd say you could share with us, but our room is already full (there will be at least 3 if not 4 of us). Unfortunately some of the hotels take a deposit - non refundable in some cases - so just be aware of that. The information is all on the website.

I thought I'd posted it before - but maybe it was just on the South Park board? - but for fun, here's me as AwesomO...

awesomO.jpg

My friend says that I have the AwesomO voice down pretty well, but I need to work on my movie ideas. I generally forget what I thought of when it comes up - and people always ask - so I need to do better on that front. I'm better with the "Are you by chance a pleasure model?" because my "Lame!"s are pretty good by now.

I found my black can opener again - my Mom snitched it and then told me she didn't have it, but I found it while she's in Florida - so I can be more authentic again next time. I used to have bigger batteries also, but they don't stay in place as well.

My other costume is Jayne Cobb (I'm a lady Jayne) with Jayne hat. Though I cheat and wear a "Wash" shirt. I would post that photo too, but my photobucket account is being a pain right now and giving me error messages...  maybe I'll try again later.

I feel like an idiot. I never put you screen name together with South Park, and we're huge fans! I love your costume, it's just like Cartman's!

Mick calls me Butters, because he says I'm a lot like him. Not sure if it's a compliment or not, but sometimes I just randomly break out singing "Ooooooh baby please don't go!" just to annoy him!

Talked to my sister today and told her we were going to go to the Supernatural Convention in Vancouver. She asked me if all my friends here were just as nuts.

I just e-mailed her Awsomo's picture, and SueB's rant about cows on the All Episode thread. Can't wait for her reply! Hee!

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Mick Lady said:

Talked to my sister today and told her we were going to go to the Supernatural Convention in Vancouver. She asked me if all my friends here were just as nuts.

I just e-mailed her Awsomo's picture, and SueB's rant about cows on the All Episode thread. Can't wait for her reply! Hee!

Alright that was just mean, now I have to go and find the rant about the cows. Afternoon blown.

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, Mick Lady said:

That's fantastic! I LOOOOOOOVE Vancouver. 

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

That's fantastic! I LOOOOOOOVE Vancouver. 

Being in Idaho, we're close to Vancouver. I started talking about wanting to attend. and because we haven't had a real vacation in years, Mick got on-line and booked it. He actually sprung for the Gold Package, said it was a gift to me for surviving cancer. I do love that man!

I'm going to get rid of my flip phone, (yes, I have a flip phone!), and get a good one and take a ton of pics! Mick of course, will bring his Nikon!

We're lucky, Mick has a riding buddy who lives in Vancouver, so no hotel for us, which saves a ton! I'm kind of in shock at this point, it's been a dream of mine to go to one of these things, but never thought it would happen! I'm not even sure I've processed this yet

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, Mick Lady said:

Being in Idaho, we're close to Vancouver. I started talking about wanting to attend. and because we haven't had a real vacation in years, Mick got on-line and booked it. He actually sprung for the Gold Package, said it was a gift to me for surviving cancer. I do love that man!

I'm going to get rid of my flip phone, (yes, I have a flip phone!), and get a good one and take a ton of pics! Mick of course, will bring his Nikon!

We're lucky, Mick has a riding buddy who lives in Vancouver, so no hotel for us, which saves a ton! I'm kind of in shock at this point, it's been a dream of mine to go to one of these things, but never thought it would happen! I'm not even sure I've processed this yet

That is absolutely beautiful. I'm so happy for you! And yes a little envious. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Mick Lady said:

I'm kind of in shock at this point, it's been a dream of mine to go to one of these things, but never thought it would happen! I'm not even sure I've processed this yet

Very cool, ML!

5 hours ago, Diane said:

Alright that was just mean, now I have to go and find the rant about the cows. Afternoon blown.

When you find it, would you please link it! Because I don't remember this cow rant at all LOL

On 3/28/2017 at 2:55 PM, Mick Lady said:

I have to say, I laughed at this! But it was with complete sympathy! Everyone had then! I taught theoretical mathematics at grad school, and would have dreams of going to work and being expected to teach Japanese! This was a recurring dream and I woke up in a panic every time! 

But I love the fact the trolls didn't faze you.

Oh no, even in my dreams, I'm apparently like -- who cares if they're trolls, I only care if they tip! So weird that emotions run so high when really, you're just fetching people lunch or a beer or whatever and the work is UTTERLY MEANINGLESS. But emotions run high anyway!

I always think I should try to pick up a side job because waiting tables is such good money for the hours (and it's good to have a second source of income etc etc etc), but then I actually go to a bar or a restaurant, and I inevitably think, "wow, how wonderful that I can just sit around NOT serving people or cleaning up or anything!" and never actually apply for that side job ;)

Anyway, what, you never had a dream that you had to teach a class of trolls, and that was no big deal, except that they were all extremely demanding students? ;)

• Love 2

Nope, no trolls in my dream, but even after being out of college for about 25 years, I sometimes still have that dream where I forgot I signed up for a class and now it's the midterm, final, etc. (even though I've never actually done that) or the one where I have a project due tomorrow that I forgot that's when it was due and hadn't even started (though I've never done that either - though I did once get the time wrong for a test and had to beg the professor to let me take a make up - fortunately there was one along with some other students who missed various tests during the semester). I just had one a month or two ago, and considering how seldom I remember my dreams nowadays (and that's by design for good reason), that I remembered that one is saying something.

And surprisingly even though I've been out of school for so long, those dreams seem so real that I'm relieved when I wake up and realize that it was just a dream. It's funny - and I know I've been lucky in this - but I'd often heard from people when I was in school, "you'll remember these as the best and/or easiest days of your life" talking about high school and college and "things will be much tougher out in the 'real world.'" And nope and nope - I've liked the "real world" (my jobs) much better and they - all of them - were much less stressful for me than school - but that's mainly due to the jobs I chose and because I'm lucky especially with my job now. My poor hubby has to put up with more bullshit in his job that makes it a bit more stressful for him, though.

But that probably explains why my bad dreams take me back to college which I found more stressful.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Mick Lady said:

I am so excited for you, no one deserves it more. I can't wait to hear all your stories. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, AwesomO4000 said:

but even after being out of college for about 25 years, I sometimes still have that dream where I forgot I signed up for a class and now it's the midterm, final, etc.

In my dream I've confused the time of a law school final (usually 100% of your grade for the semester). I walk into the classroom, and everyone's already busy writing in their blue books. I've missed the first 1/2 hr. I get the exam and it's several complicated questions, requiring lots of thought and writing. When I realize I'll only be able to finish a couple of the questions and will flunk the class, I wake up in a cold sweat. It's been a while since I've had that dream, maybe before the last layoff.

Now I'm a part-time contractor and leave everything at work at the end of my day, no 12 hr days, no schlepping the laptop home every night. But... I no longer define myself by my career and I sometimes miss that.

Edited by auntvi
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Diane said:

I made a mistake, it's in All Episodes. I hope I have Sue's permission:

"So... after dragging you through all this.... I think it's a low probability that he connected "deals" to "babies".  His YED data (the two data points we saw) was sketchy and didn't have 'deals' as part of it.  So no 10 year clock.  Plus, his other research seemed to be based on demon sign.  (Note; And why do the poor COWS get mutilated as part of demonic activity??? Huh?  What did they ever do to demons that they are the ones who are slaughtered?  Do the demons go after them or they just spontaneously rip apart?  I'm thinking that's unfair to the cow.). "

I laughed like crazy when I first read this, I never forget it! Actually, the whole post is a riot, but to end it with COWS!!

Thanks SueB!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, auntvi said:

In my dream I've confused the time of a law school final (usually 100% of your grade for the semester). I walk into the classroom, and everyone's already busy writing in their blue books. I've missed the first 1/2 hr. I get the exam and it's several complicated questions, requiring lots of thought and writing. When I realize I'll only be able to finish a couple of the questions and will flunk the class, I wake up in a cold sweat. It's been a while since I've had that dream, maybe before the last layoff.

Now I'm a part-time contractor and leave everything at work at the end of my day, no 12 hr days, no schlepping the laptop home every night. But... I no longer define myself by my career and I sometimes miss that.

Law School?! God Lord I had students that went to Law School (required class before grad school) and they were a wreak!  They came back to sob in my office! Congratulations on making it through!

Edited by Mick Lady
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, supposebly said:

D'awww... that is SO Bobby.  Especially the rusted hood.  These are the ties that bind in Supernatural fandom.

*waves high to @supposebly* thanks for stopping by!

And you're welcome @Mick Lady, always happy to get my rant on for the the downtrodden. #BovinesUnite!

• Love 2

After tonight's episode I am going to take a little break from most of these threads.  I will finish out the game we are playing and will try to check in on this thread every once in a while. It has just gotten too negative lately on almost all of the threads, even the spoiler thread.  So I can continue to enjoy the show, it will be better to rest from this for a while.

It makes we want to post:

JOHN (pleading)
Can we not fight? You know, half the time we're fighting, I don't know what we're fighting about. We're just butting heads.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Diane said:

After tonight's episode I am going to take a little break from most of these threads.  I will finish out the game we are playing and will try to check in on this thread every once in a while. It has just gotten too negative lately on almost all of the threads, even the spoiler thread.  So I can continue to enjoy the show, it will be better to rest from this for a while.

JOHN (pleading)
Can we not fight? You know, half the time we're fighting, I don't know what we're fighting about. We're just butting heads.

I get it.  My "ignore list" has become quite large.  Come back when you can. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, SueB said:

And you're welcome @Mick Lady, always happy to get my rant on for the the downtrodden. #BovinesUnite!

Here you go, SueB... just incase you don't happen to know this one. And I know scientifically it's all wrong (as in male cows are bulls or steers, but still, it's fun...

Bad cow puns ahoy!

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, AwesomO4000 said:

Here you go, SueB... just incase you don't happen to know this one. And I know scientifically it's all wrong (as in male cows are bulls or steers, but still, it's fun...

Holy cow, that was udderly awesome! Very amooosing indeed! It's been ever so long since I herd such wonderful nonsense! I'll stop now and hoof it on outta here -- for heifer and heifer.

18 minutes ago, AwesomO4000 said:

Bad cow puns ahoy!

You did ask for it... ;)

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Diane said:

JOHN (pleading)

I'm so sorry to hear that, @Diane!

• Love 1

Ok on the bad note that was creepy as hell, sleeping with windows locked tonight. Good news is I have a new series to watch, loved it. 

45 minutes ago, rue721 said:

I'm so sorry to hear that, @Diane!

I will be around in this thread just not all the others. 

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, Diane said:

Ok on the bad note that was creepy as hell, sleeping with windows locked tonight. Good news is I have a new series to watch, loved it. 

Oh, it's a fun ride. Especially the first few seasons. Fun, fun, fun.

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

Oh, it's a fun ride. Especially the first few seasons. Fun, fun, fun.

Weirdly, I actually like the middle seasons best. I enjoy some of the "humorous" episodes there - like the cockroach one. And I like when Scully comes more into her own in the middle seasons, though sadly she is very much still often the Sam of X-Files (in that she generally ends up being wrong much of the time - poor Scully).

• Love 1

Am I the only one who still gets happy that I can bills online now? I remember what a PITA it was when you had to actually spend a whole day running around paying bills and waiting in line. It's the little things in life, you know? : )

• Love 2
1 minute ago, trxr4kids said:

Am I the only one who still gets happy that I can bills online now? I remember what a PITA it was when you had to actually spend a whole day running around paying bills and waiting in line. It's the little things in life, you know? : )

I went through a period in my life after some major life changing events that left me in a pretty deep depression and I was having trouble getting things done. I found it oddly helpful to go and out run those little errands, even though I could do it online, it kind of forced me to get  out and connect with three-dimensional people.

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I went through a period in my life after some major life changing events that left me in a pretty deep depression and I was having trouble getting things done. I found it oddly helpful to go and out run those little errands, even though I could do it online, it kind of forced me to get  out and connect with three-dimensional people.

That sounds like an excellent strategy, I could see how it would work. I'm kind of a rabid cleaner, not ocd or anything but I just get a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction from things like clean baseboards, doors, door frames, light switches, etc. (like despite whatever else is going on at least I did that.) Things most people don't notice much. Like I said it's the little things sometimes that make a huge difference. : )

Edited by trxr4kids
to complete a thought
  • Love 3
31 minutes ago, trxr4kids said:

That sounds like an excellent strategy, I could see how it would work. I'm kind of a rabid cleaner, not ocd or anything but I just get a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction from things like clean baseboards, doors, door frames, light switches, etc. (like despite whatever else is going on at least I did that.) Things most people don't notice much. Like I said it's the little things sometimes that make a huge difference. : )

I've been trying to really reframe how I think about things.  I spend a little too much time berating myself for things I didn't get done which becomes pretty discouraging at times. So I'm trying to do better about saying, "Okay I did XYZ, and maybe it's not totally on the path to my ultimate goals (which have kind of gotten derailed and are in the process of shifting) but that's okay for now". And really be okay with feeling some satisfaction out of that accomplishment. The trick is making sure that feeling of accomplishment helps move me forward and I can build on that to use it for a bigger task or bigger goal.

It's weird how often we say really terrible things to ourselves in our own heads. Like I walked to the store that other day and brought back a bottle of sparkling water amongst my other groceries.

When I opened it, it spewed out all over me, and my first thought "Well you dumbass!" And I stopped myself the moment I uttered it in my head. I was like "Well, shit. At least I didn't buy the flavored water because that would have been sticky!. So Yay!"

Retraining the brain is HARD!

• Love 4
On 3/29/2017 at 3:34 PM, Mick Lady said:

Do tell us lots of stories, I'll get to live through you!  :)  It must be nice to have found the right man, never got that lucky.

On 3/30/2017 at 3:05 PM, Diane said:

JOHN (pleading)

Take a break and I'm glad you'll still come here.  Some topics I just ignore, not worth the effort.  I haven't watched last night but it sounds like it had many things to like.  Focus on that.  :)

I've let go of 24 lbs.  I'm starting my next challenge.  Funny the school nurse was like you look good.  I know I have a lot more to go.  What I will have to watch is my mind/brain.

3 hours ago, catrox14 said:

Sometimes impossible, at least it feels like it.  I was anorexic in my twenties.  Trying to be an actress, hearing how fat I was, I created a strong goal, 88 lbs.  I got down to 110.  I had lost it quickly by not eating.  I discovered that if I waited long enough the hunger pains ended and I could go without as long as I kept busy.  I exercised.  I got sick and that is what saved me ironically.  I decided I could slim down, I had gained 5 lbs in one night.

So I stopped trying.  I guess I tried off and on, but never really had success. 

Well I'm on the right track for now.  I have a few that don't believe me, but they didn't know me then or how single minded I could get.  I can't go by weight.  I won't go for the right amount.  I'll say I need to lose 100 lbs, but 70 would closer to the truth.  I'm trying to focus on dress size.  Goal to get to size 12.

People are telling me looking good, but I still feel really over weight.  I know I've got lots of room left.  My concern is will I stop when I get where I should be?  So I've got people watching.  One person already gave me a warning.  Stop it, your weighing too much.  It's that part of me that gets obsessive that I have to watch.  I'm trying to eat healthy but also allow myself to eat stuff that is bad every now and then so I don't go back there. 

One friend is telling to get more serious, she doesn't get it I have the mind set of what we told young girls growing up, that you must look a certain way to be pretty and what Hollywood thinks you have to look like.  I get it, too well. 

So I got into my short shorts.  My goal is to get into a cute swimsuit.  I know my legs look great, it's not my problem spot.  :)  I know I won't care if my bust-line gets much much smaller but the middle well it's got a way to go before I'll be happy.  So I'm trying to retrain my mind but I do get frustrated because I will see some young girls that really aren't that over weight and I think man are they fat.  The healthy part of me knows I need to think differently, but it is a battle to fix.

I know I've shared way too much, but if it can help someone not to travel this road, well it's worth it.  I'll shut up now.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, 7kstar said:

Do tell us lots of stories, I'll get to live through you!  :)  It must be nice to have found the right man, never got that lucky.

Take a break and I'm glad you'll still come here.  Some topics I just ignore, not worth the effort.  I haven't watched last night but it sounds like it had many things to like.  Focus on that.  :)

I've let go of 24 lbs.  I'm starting my next challenge.  Funny the school nurse was like you look good.  I know I have a lot more to go.  What I will have to watch is my mind/brain.

Sometimes impossible, at least it feels like it.  I was anorexic in my twenties.  Trying to be an actress, hearing how fat I was, I created a strong goal, 88 lbs.  I got down to 110.  I had lost it quickly by not eating.  I discovered that if I waited long enough the hunger pains ended and I could go without as long as I kept busy.  I exercised.  I got sick and that is what saved me ironically.  I decided I could slim down, I had gained 5 lbs in one night.

So I stopped trying.  I guess I tried off and on, but never really had success. 

Well I'm on the right track for now.  I have a few that don't believe me, but they didn't know me then or how single minded I could get.  I can't go by weight.  I won't go for the right amount.  I'll say I need to lose 100 lbs, but 70 would closer to the truth.  I'm trying to focus on dress size.  Goal to get to size 12.

People are telling me looking good, but I still feel really over weight.  I know I've got lots of room left.  My concern is will I stop when I get where I should be?  So I've got people watching.  One person already gave me a warning.  Stop it, your weighing too much.  It's that part of me that gets obsessive that I have to watch.  I'm trying to eat healthy but also allow myself to eat stuff that is bad every now and then so I don't go back there. 

One friend is telling to get more serious, she doesn't get it I have the mind set of what we told young girls growing up, that you must look a certain way to be pretty and what Hollywood thinks you have to look like.  I get it, too well. 

So I got into my short shorts.  My goal is to get into a cute swimsuit.  I know my legs look great, it's not my problem spot.  :)  I know I won't care if my bust-line gets much much smaller but the middle well it's got a way to go before I'll be happy.  So I'm trying to retrain my mind but I do get frustrated because I will see some young girls that really aren't that over weight and I think man are they fat.  The healthy part of me knows I need to think differently, but it is a battle to fix.

I know I've shared way too much, but if it can help someone not to travel this road, well it's worth it.  I'll shut up now.

Good luck, I am also trying to lose weight and get fit. It's so much harder at 48 almost 49, I am ten pounds down and really need to lose at least another 30. I am using the "lose it" app to help me make sure I eat enough calories and get my water in. My best friend and I are walking at least 3 miles 3 to 4 days a week. I hope you reach your goal it sounds like you are being healthy, that's the most important part and what I am aiming for.  I certainly understand the mindset skinny was what was in and what we were supposed to be when I was growing up to, it is very hard to change it. Thank you for sharing. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, 7kstar said:

Heh. The ironic thing is that "pretty" changes. You may remember me talking about food - when we were talking about Dean being hungry as a child - and how I was obsessed with it, because no matter how much I seemed to eat* I couldn't gain weight. I wasn't tall - only 5' 4" - but I only weighed about 90 - 95 pounds. In Massachusetts, that meant I was cold a lot, too (and often sick.) And ironically, back when I was that way, skinny was not in. It would be quite a few more years before the "heroin chic" stage. Nope, I was scrawny during the era of Suzanne Somers, Loni Anderson, Farah Fawcett, Chic Jeans, and Laura Ashley blouses.**

Ironically, I was close to your ideal weight you were looking for, but I was considered "unattractive" (highschool boys told me so all the time), because I didn't have any curves. In college I got a little more attention, but creepily, mostly from late 20's/early 30's graduate students and teaching assistants... not the type of guy I was looking for. (I was only 18.) Finally at about 20ish, I gained a little weight.

* A typical lunch for me in high school was: A hamburger, a pile of fries, a vegetable, a large bowl of stew, two fruits (usually fruit cocktail), a pint of milk, juice, and a dessert. That I had to eat in about 15 minutes (lunch, from leaving class to returning from the lunch room, was 20 minutes). Every day. And I still weighed 95 pounds.

** Laura Ashley blouses were generally flowery with a built in fitted bodice... usually shaped for women with a generous bosom. If you didn't have a bosom, their was no way you could "fill out" the blouse. The material just looked misshapen and/or sagged.

1 minute ago, Diane said:

Good luck, I am also trying to lose weight and get fit. It's so much harder at 48 almost 49,

Yes, the same thing happened to me at that age. I was used to being a certain weight for 20+ years, and all of a sudden, I had gained 25 pounds in about a year, despite eating the same and still exercising. After about 2 years of trying and getting a strained hip and strained knee from walking so much* along the way, I'm just trying to be healthy now and decided to embrace the new me. But yeah, it was kinda difficult, because I liked being a size 6-8. I have heard though that once you reach your mid fifties, it gets easier again to lose weight? I'm going to hold out hope for that.

* Watch for that by the way - I, too, was walking a lot - 2 miles a day, 5-6 times a week with a little very light jogging thrown in (I've walked a lot for most of my life since my late teens - with maybe a couple of years of laziness, which I paid for), and knee pain and hip pain snuck up on me at 50. I thought I could walk through it and/or it would go away. I was wrong and ended up having to stop my walking for a few months until they finally got better - and ended up gaining a few pounds because of it. So if you start to feel discomfort in any of your joints/tendons... don't ignore it, and maybe stop walking for a week or so. Better that than having to quit for a few months. It's hard to get back into shape after that - I find myself breathing harder and walking isn't as easy as it used to be. I'm stubborn though and will get it back eventually.

Very good advice, listen to your body. We are not walking fast just trying to walk and get outside. It has really helped the stiffness from my rheumatory thing also. I was always skinny too. I thought I was fat when I had my son, well I am 5'7 and I weighed 140. When I was in high school I was a size 3 and looking back on it way to thin. So now I am striving to eat better and just be healthy. Ok so now I am looking forward to the fifties, yay!!!

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 2:05 PM, Diane said:

JOHN (pleading)

Aw Diane! You're one of my favorites here! Don't give up on us, we'll miss you!

• Love 1
Just now, Mick Lady said:

Aw Diane! You're one of my favorites here! Don't give up on us, we'll miss you!

I am just going to skip the show threads and keep it to this one. So I won't go away completely. I love hearing about how everyone is doing. I am really so excited for you, Vancon will be epic!

• Love 3
9 hours ago, trxr4kids said:

Oh Chuck yes! I have everything on auto-pay, arranged level pay for gas and electric and water. Even our property taxes are on auto-pay! I hate paying bills! To me, this is no little thing!

7 hours ago, catrox14 said:

Let us know if you ever accomplish it catrox!

Kidding, you know I love you!

• Love 2
4 hours ago, 7kstar said:

Weight issues suck 7kstar! I know what you're going through, I've struggled with it all my life. Cancer took care of it, but I don't recommend that route! I hate how other people judge us on how we look. There's so much more to a person, but it's all appearance, appearance, and that is so wrong!

I've have some issues, having only one breast, and reconstruction is not a road I want to go down. Thankfully, Mick still thinks I'm sexy as hell, and he's the only one I care about! But I wouldn't get into a swimsuit for all the money in the world! The prosthesis looks just like that, a  prosthesis, no matter what you wear. 

What really bums me out for some reason, is my hair. I had long, straight, auburn hair, and after chemo it's growing our curly, and gray! The other women at the cancer center warned me, but I still didn't expect it. Plus, it's not long enough for me to do anything with it!

But we have each other, and I've found wonderful comfort and support here. You guys have helped me more than you'll ever know!

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, Mick Lady said:

What really bums me out for some reason, is my hair. I had long, straight, auburn hair, and after chemo it's growing our curly, and gray! The other women at the cancer center warned me, but I still didn't expect it. Plus, it's not long enough for me to do anything with it!

my hair is curly.  So one thing you can do when your hair is long enough is highlight your hair.  I had medium brown hair.  But with the gray, It is now gotten lighter especially in the front , so I use medium blonde and have it highlighted usually twice a year.  The gray looks like highlights.  You can start with a rinse if your not sure what color to try. 

24 minutes ago, Mick Lady said:

There's so much more to a person, but it's all appearance, appearance, and that is so wrong!

I've known some people that were considered really beautiful, but their personality really stunk.  I'd rather have someone that is great person so I try to focus on being the best I can.  I don't always make it, but I do try.  lOL

• Love 2

OMG you guys my kids who are 23 and 20 were facebooking each other from the same room! I walked by and they were snickering/cackling and I asked what was so funny, so they told me they were taking turns sending each other weird gifs (they were weird). All I could say was kids these days! ; )

• Love 3
4 hours ago, trxr4kids said:

OMG you guys my kids who are 23 and 20 were facebooking each other from the same room! I walked by and they were snickering/cackling and I asked what was so funny, so they told me they were taking turns sending each other weird gifs (they were weird). All I could say was kids these days! ; )

Heh, my sister texts my niece to let her know dinner is ready... . 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, 7kstar said:

I've let go of 24 lbs.  I'm starting my next challenge.

Wow! Congratulations!!

14 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

Heh, my sister texts my niece to let her know dinner is ready... . 

My parents FINALLY have phones, and my dad has recently taken to texting me when he's finished making dinner, to tempt me into going over. Of course pretty much every word in his texts will be spelled wrong, including "dinner."

Old people these days! ;)

8 hours ago, AwesomO4000 said:

So if you start to feel discomfort in any of your joints/tendons... don't ignore it, and maybe stop walking for a week or so. Better that than having to quit for a few months.

Running cured (knock on wood!) some knee trouble I had. But the trick is you have to ramp up VERRRRRRY slowly. The rule of thumb is a 10% increase a week, but that's way too much for me. I'm more like a 3-5% increase every week or even every two weeks.

It takes something like 3-6 months to strengthen tendons and ligaments, whereas your cardio and muscle strength increases much faster, so it's very easy to work out according to your cardio/muscle strength and push your joints too hard. But joints will eventually strengthen if you stick with it and do the very very slow increase thing. That's how I "fixed" my knee, I guess.

I get frustrated by having to be so careful about pacing my running, though, so I've started using the rowing machine, too. I really like it. No impact, so you can go full out for as long as your muscles (or lungs) can stand it, with basically no risk of injury. Highly recommend.

I'm actually thinking of trying Crossfit next month, too, once a couple of my accounting classes are over and I have more evenings free (they make you take a "foundations" class initially, to learn the exercises). Have you seen the YouTube videos of some of those women doing Crossfit? They can do the most mind-blowing things. Jumping all over the pull-up bar like it's nothing. I've done maybe one pull-up in my life up til now!

All that said, I hate losing weight and find it pretty much impossible. We're (apparently) doing a weight loss challenge at work now, and the other day, my supervisor even mentioned bringing in a scale! Talk about torture. I eat healthy and like to exercise, but I have a (minor but irritating) medical issue that effects my metabolism -- so I'm medically fine, weight-wise, but I'm not Hollywood thin. And let's face it, I am never going to be a waif -- and don't even want to be! Sure, if I could be like Buffy the Vampire Slayer and be incredibly petite but also incredibly strong, that would be great, but if it's either/or (which it kinda is) I'm going to pick strong every time. Anyway, my coworkers already tease me about always eating healthy food, and one has already wondered aloud why I'm not thinner considering, and I am not looking forward to failing to lose any weight during the "challenge" and having them gossip about why that is and what I must be doing in my off-hours to be so "fat."

There is so much that I love/enjoy about that job (accounting is really fun, guys!), but the fact that it's pretty much like being in a sorority is a mixed blessing. I mean, we even have matching jewelry. And on the one hand, I was very touched when I was given a matching necklace, too. But on the other hand, now I'm paranoid that I'm not wearing it enough ;) It's very "on Wednesdays, we wear pink."

16 hours ago, catrox14 said:

I've been trying to really reframe how I think about things.  I spend a little too much time berating myself for things I didn't get done which becomes pretty discouraging at times. So I'm trying to do better about saying, "Okay I did XYZ, and maybe it's not totally on the path to my ultimate goals (which have kind of gotten derailed and are in the process of shifting) but that's okay for now". And really be okay with feeling some satisfaction out of that accomplishment. The trick is making sure that feeling of accomplishment helps move me forward and I can build on that to use it for a bigger task or bigger goal.

Wow, that's awesome. Sincerely. What are the bigger tasks or goals you want to do?

Right now, my big goal is to get back on the meat market and get a man. Bleh I hate it. I don't mind first dates and meeting new people, but I hate dating if you know what I mean. Sometimes I wish that I had just stuck with my college boyfriend and been done with it. I know, I know, how romantic.

Oh and also....anybody pulling any pranks for April Fool's?! Now that I'm thinking about it...hmmmmmmm well, maybe I'll come up with something before the day is over.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, rue721 said:

Anyway, my coworkers already tease me about always eating healthy food, and one has already wondered aloud why I'm not thinner considering, and I am not looking forward to failing to lose any weight during the "challenge" and having them gossip about why that is and what I must be doing in my off-hours to be so "fat."

I had the school nurse ask me point blank, why are you so fat?  You eat really light at school because she saw what I was eating, do you go home and pig out?  Nope.  But I do have a lot of pain I deal with and I'm finally working out.  I started out with just swimming but now I do the treadmill.  I got told I was pre diabetes and I started taking the meds with cooking my own meals.  I've cut what I eat and when I tell people I was over 200 they were shocked. 

People don't think I weigh what I do because of where I carry the weight. I'm large busted so in order to get a top to fit it has to be a larger size.  So due to health reasons, I'm slowly working my time up.  Since I've been unable to work out lately, I will most likely have to start over.  That's my biggest problem.  For years I was in the cycle of losing the same pounds.  Now I'm seeing some results but I haven't gone much lower than this size in 8 years.  But the group I'm working with is encouraging.  I think the meds got me out of the cycle and I'm trying to see if I can continue without them. 

Most are using the lose it app.  I'm the mixture of old folks and young folks.  I text on phone but I don't like apps using google play.  It confuses me and it seems like if you don't own an Iphone, most apps cost something.  I didn't want to pay 600.00 for an Iphone.  The world has changed a lot and I know my students think I'm really old.  So it is funny when the show starts calling Dean and Sam old since they are the younguns to me.  So yeah I guess I'm old but young at heart.  Does that count?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, rue721 said:

Wow, that's awesome. Sincerely. What are the bigger tasks or goals you want to do?

Course correct my life. Not being snarky.

I'm not cool with the current state of my life. My footing is way off. I see a lot of things differently now than I did a couple of years ago. I'm trying to course correct. Primarily I need a good job. I'd like to get paid to do something I actually enjoy and am good at. I'll probably go back into customer support because I know I'm good at it, I'm less sure of the enjoyment factor. I know we all need to take what we can get. I've worked so many different kinds of jobs in my life that I'd like to be able to work in something that brings me a little joy and satisfaction and a living wage you know. I hope that these little things I'm changing will result in me feeling more confident over all.

I'm starting to really understand that a lot of me;  my emotions, needs, desires,etc what made me, me, kind of went missing when I became my mother's caregiver.  It took a greater toll than I realized. I don't regret doing it and I don't regret the time we spent together before she passed. I wish I would have had a better understanding of how it was affecting me at the time.  I wish I had been better able to stand up for myself with my family and been able to really articulate what I needed to help me.I I didn't know how to balance it all out. I lost me. Which I don't mean this in a "oh look I'm such a martyr" way. It just kind of happened so gradually that I didn't know it happened until she passed and I got back to my life and I was different. I've changed.

Part of my course correcting is reconsidering my relationships and that terrifies me. I don't know if I'm doing that because I'm unhappy with my own situation or whether those relationships are contributing to my unhappiness. I guess I just want to shed my own personal internal garbage that doesn't serve me, the stuff that doesn't help me in my life, and more importantly be able to embrace the changes, because change is fucking scary and hard sometimes. And I've had so much change thrust upon me over the past few years that maybe I just want to gird myself for whatever comes next. I dunno, I'm rambling now.

• Love 4
(edited)

@rue721 - it's a little rough in that kind of an office if you aren't feeling your best. I hope they don't hassle you on the "challenge", I'd say something like -- oh, I pay more attention to "off-scale victories", like how I fit in my clothes or keeping myself healthy.  I did the challenge for good tips, not specific pounds. " The tyranny of the scale is horrible.  And don't let them force people to 'weigh in', you never know who has a REAL issue with it -- even if they don't look overweight.  If they've had problems in their past, it can be an emotionally charged situation.

@7kstar - my first thought when hearing about what your colleague said was to ask "name, Social Security Number" (ala Mr & Mrs Smith).  How crass to just say that!  Maybe some people don't care, but others might.  *sigh* I'm glad you are on a healthy slope and anyone who doesn't get what a victory that is, isn't worth the time of day.

@catrox14 I KNOW you've had a rough time. I'm so glad you are working on 'self care'. That kind of trauma (and it IS traumatic to help someone through the end of their life) is not easy.  I'm glad you are taking stock.  It's so very easy to just drift on day to day.

Thanks all for sharing... sending hugs!

Edited by SueB
  • Love 3