Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E13: Van People

Stinger97
  • Start Topic

When Murray takes Erica's car privileges away, Erica and Barry retaliate by buying their own shabby used black van. Meanwhile, Adam gets voted in the yearbook as "nicest guy," which results in a suspension when he objects.

So from the first time David Sirota was mentioned my boyfriend wasn't paying that much attention and stated "the investigative reporter?" and because he often jumps to random conclusions, I conscendingly replied "no, this is the 80s and he is talking about his classmate;" my boyfriend is a better person than me because when it was revealed that it was in fact THE David Sirato he didn't say "suck it" but simply responded "that is awesome,"

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 10

Lordy, David Sirota is such an asshole that I can't imagine he was ever considered funny enough to be class clown.

I am coming to find that I like all the storylines that don't involve Adam in them this season. The Barry/Erica storyline was hysterical. Adam's was meh.

Had no idea that Adam knew the David Sirota growing up.  That's just amazing!

I know the feeling, I've known some people I grew up with that have become politicians, actors and educators of the year and if you would have known them then. You would never think anything along those lines. I knew the half tank of gas was going to come back and haunt them. I did feel sorry for the science teacher, I've seen other teachers who have taught a lot less just can't handle the jokes and feeling like no one cares what they are doing.

Man, hearing Patton Oswalt go on about comedy in the 80s was a bit surreal. Patton has a pretty firm stance that he didn't like the stand-up comedy scene that was the late-80s.

Well that makes sense. I imagine Oswalt has no use for comedy that actually made people laugh. 

On that note, I find it hard to believe Adam was a fan of the Dice Man, let alone Dice being his favorite. Maybe there is hope for the little dork yet. 

Though considering he grows up to be to be voiced by Patton Oswalt, probably not. 

And I just have to ask, who the hell is David Sirota? 

Erica and Barry really do need to do more projects together. 

I kept thinking how funny it was for them to buy a van when their main complaint was constantly having to buy gas.  Good luck keeping that giant gas tank full!  Barry's aggressive van driving while belting out the A-Team theme is something I hope becomes a staple.

• Love 2

"Down by the river" - LOL!  No, I hadn't thought about that.  Perfect.

When Bev was saying "My kids are not van people" I was thinking "Oh heck yeah, Barry and Erica sure are."

I too loved George and his banjo!  That was so great!

• Love 1

Loved me some George Segal and his banjo.  I used to love him on Johnny Cason.

Now I've got to search for George on Carson. Thanks!

Remember the Thanksgiving real footage that had Eric arguing so much with his parents? I'm so glad they showed that because I now know that Erica pushing back against her parents is based in reality (an alternate reality). Anyway, I'm glad that Erica is finally starting to feel as real to me as the rest of the Goldbergs.

• Love 2
Here you go!

Thanks for the info. And I must say, from that information, the fact that David Sirota was the class clown of Adam Goldberg's class explains why I only find this show moderately humorous. But to be fair, moderately humorous puts the show in the upper percentiles these days. 

The more they said "van people", the more I laughed. Especially when Bev freaked out about seeing a V being written on the paper by the counselor. 

Please tell me Barry dramatically driving the van around while screaming the A Team theme is going to become a running things. 

I felt bad for the teacher. I totally knew teachers growing up who took the teasing of students WAY seriously, and would get really discouraged. I was happy Adam made him a replacement cake. Nothing wrong with being nice!

Adams an Andrew Dice Clay fan! Who knew?  

• Love 1

Here you go!  Was I the only one yelling out loud whenever they said, "Living in a van."  I would yell, "Down by the river."?

Apparently the writing staff was as well.  On the AV Club website Adam F. Goldberg posted that, he explained it happened very clearly in the '90's so they did not use it.

The times Erica's stories work for me are the times when I suspect that they really were Eric things.  So this one?  It really worked for me.  There have been a couple other ones, but not many.   

What didn't work for me on that same token was Erica hanging out with the boys and busting a gut over Andrew Dice Clay.  

Not a lot of young girls were Dice fans and watching that kind of humor with your brothers?   I don't buy it.

Eric on the other hand?  Sure.   

The rest of the ep, especially Barry and his A-Team van?  All sorts of fun.

• Love 1

What didn't work for me on that same token was Erica hanging out with the boys and busting a gut over Andrew Dice Clay.  

Not a lot of young girls were Dice fans and watching that kind of humor with your brothers?   I don't buy it.

Yes, I was surprised to see her laughing on the couch with them.

The times Erica's stories work for me are the times when I suspect that they really were Eric things.  So this one?  It really worked for me.  There have been a couple other ones, but not many.   

Eric on the other hand?  Sure.   

The rest of the ep, especially Barry and his A-Team van?  All sorts of fun.

Well, this nice girl did.  Even went to see him with boys and girls and no one even thought about clutching their pearls.  Now I can't stand him, but back then he was HILARIOUS to us.  

• Love 4

I wouldn't have expected a clutching of pearls. I don't think Erica or girls in general are prudes. Just would have guessed her to be angered/unamused by him. I can't picture any of my friends going to Dice. And I know my mom would have gone ballistic. But I appreciate your point that not all people are created equal and Erica might have loved him.

I did stay up all night to watch a repeat Eddie Murphy's Raw on HBO.

• Love 1

I wouldn't have expected a clutching of pearls. I don't think Erica or girls in general are prudes. Just would have guessed her to be angered/unamused by him. I can't picture any of my friends going to Dice. And I know my mom would have gone ballistic. But I appreciate your point that not all people are created equal and Erica might have loved him.

I did stay up all night to watch a repeat Eddie Murphy's Raw on HBO.

Probably the best stand up routine in the history of stand up. He's a "favorite" on my satellite radio.  I heard "ice cream man" yesterday.  So darn funny.  

Second choice or not, at least Dice WAS willing to sign off (I doubt he turns away any free press), whereas Murphy comes off as a complete douche for not doing so (I bet he wanted a huge truckoad of money).

• Love 1

Pops looked ready to throw down when Adam pulled his Gallagher routine with an apple.

I love how Erica was dictating how to spend Barry's $1200.  Then again he needs direction or else he'd blow it on crap.

Barry always runs through that stop sign when he's in the station wagon. I'm anxiously in a bad way waiting for the day he gets T-boned.

Bev appearing in the bushes with that tray of food cracked me up. I sighed in joy along with him.

'Murray you call all your NYC furniture contacts!' That's so what parents do whenever they have to work outside their city. Call everyone you know or knows that someone knows in that city now!

Young David Sirota in the fanny pack dancing down the hallway was hilarious.