Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: What's Up Doc?

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

On 1/9/2018 at 2:54 PM, desertflower said:

I love Alias too, and while I knew Ron Rifkin was on ER I hadn't realized Marshall appeared until I did this rewatch. It was fun seeing him. And, it's funny you posted this because just the other day I posted about an actor named Corey Stoll that was in Ant-Man and who I recognized as Neela's student Teddy. Well, when I looked him up to confirm I saw he did an episode of Alias too! He only did one episode of Alias and one of ER, but you can still add it to your list. :) 

I just spied Carl Lumbly/Agent Dixon in season 5!

I'm behind, I'm still stuck in season 13. This episode has homeless children who think Neela is magical and they call her the blue lady. I don't know, I'm only halfway through. But my main point is, are these time travelling homeless children, because they look like they are straight out of Oliver Twist. Maybe their shopping cart is like the phone booth from Bill and Ted, and they journeyed through space and time from 19th century England. One of them has strategically placed smudges like he just got done working a long day in the coal mines.

The costume department was a wee heavy handed on this one, is what I'm saying. :)

• Love 8
2 hours ago, desertflower said:

I'm behind, I'm still stuck in season 13. This episode has homeless children who think Neela is magical and they call her the blue lady. I don't know, I'm only halfway through. But my main point is, are these time travelling homeless children, because they look like they are straight out of Oliver Twist. Maybe their shopping cart is like the phone booth from Bill and Ted, and they journeyed through space and time from 19th century England. One of them has strategically placed smudges like he just got done working a long day in the coal mines.

The costume department was a wee heavy handed on this one, is what I'm saying. :)

The whole storyline is just a bit heavyhanded, doncha think?  Perhaps there are squads of feral, delusional homeless children living in the sewers of Chicago who are unable to separate reality from fantasy, but I doubt it's a thing myself.  Time travel might explain their appearance and thinking, although I'd expect even kids from Dickens' time didn't think fairies were real.  Maybe they're from Neverland?

• Love 1

I moved to a new house last year (after 24 yrs in the old one) and I work from home and felt a little blue - BUT I have spent the last 6 months deeply involved with my friends from "County General" each day - plus marathons on Sat. I watched the show originally  - then missed the later years,  This run at this point in my life has been quite soothing and familiar. Some old favorite shows don't hold up - but ER certainly does - I 'll be watching again from the beginning - I hope they will stick with it for another go round or "amp of eppy!" ...... That said in the last few weeks Olivia Newton John's "Physical" has been running through my head in an unending loop - not to mention Catherine O'Hara looking in the mirror saying "Nobody move but me! Me! Me! Me!"

• Love 9

Carter in the Bizarro E.R. was fun.  (And imagine how surprising it must have been to him to walk in and find out that clown Morris had actually turned into a good doctor who "set the tone.")  Nice to see him again (and to be able to see his face, not that hideous beard).

I didn't recognize little tiny Alex Dunphy yesterday, but looking at her today, having had her identified, I think, duh, of course that's Ariel Winter.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Madge65 said:

That said in the last few weeks Olivia Newton John's "Physical" has been running through my head in an unending loop - not to mention Catherine O'Hara looking in the mirror saying "Nobody move but me! Me! Me! Me!"

Lucky you, I have Levy Jr's lines stuck in my head.

Edited by Zoe
  • Love 1

Guest star bingo: Amy Madigan as Sam's mother.  This show did a really good job of casting the parents of all the characters.  Finding good actors who might plausibly be genetically related to the lead actors cannot have been easy.

• Love 3

So shocking to look at how Noah Wyle went from fresh-faced adorable to aged exhausted cynic, when those last season/first season eps are back-to-back.

But there's a thread of BabyCarter when he talks to Benton, because of course there is. *sniff*

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Bastet said:

Carter in the Bizarro E.R. was fun.  (And imagine how surprising it must have been to him to walk in and find out that clown Morris had actually turned into a good doctor who "set the tone.")  Nice to see him again (and to be able to see his face, not that hideous beard).

I didn't recognize little tiny Alex Dunphy yesterday, but looking at her today, having had her identified, I think, duh, of course that's Ariel Winter.

I could relate to Carter because by the last season I was completely checked out and only watched the episodes NW was on so I didn’t know anything about any of the characters.

Edited by ch1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Madge65 said:

I moved to a new house last year (after 24 yrs in the old one) and I work from home and felt a little blue - BUT I have spent the last 6 months deeply involved with my friends from "County General" each day - plus marathons on Sat. I watched the show originally  - then missed the later years,  This run at this point in my life has been quite soothing and familiar. Some old favorite shows don't hold up - but ER certainly does - I 'll be watching again from the beginning - I hope they will stick with it for another go round or "amp of eppy!" ...... 

Aw, I feel the same way about this show.  It was such a big part of my life the years it was on.  I will definitely be rewatching!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, casey65 said:

Aw, I feel the same way about this show.  It was such a big part of my life the years it was on.  I will definitely be rewatching!

1 hour ago, casey65 said:

Never mind.

Edited by pieinmyeye

Watching today’s episodes reminded me why Parminder Nagra was written out before the finale.  She’s massively pregnant which is why she is constantly wearing heavy coats and sweaters and/or standing at the scrub sink in every scene. Even so, there are several scenes where you can see her scrubs stretched tight over her belly ala Abby Keaton back in Season 3.  As I recall, she delivered right around the time the finale aired.

Edited by doodlebug

^^I had no idea she was pregnant. That’s how closely I’m NOT paying attention. I have two more episodes from yesterday to watch and will certainly be keeping an eye out. 

So happy Carter is back, even though I know why. It’s nice to have a character back on screen that I actually care about.

I have to admit I’m  kinda sad it’s all coming to an end.

• Love 5

Season 11, Episode 11, "Only Connect".  A 15 year old girl named Amy came in with a head laceration.  Why did they have to describe her as an "obese" 15 year old girl with a head lac?

Saw Josh Gad and the woman who was in the first couple of seasons of "Criminal Minds" in the episode where Gallant is in Iraq.  Also, Ron Butterfield from "The West Wing".  Wish I could remember peoples' real names.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, slasherboy said:

Season 11, Episode 11, "Only Connect".  A 15 year old girl named Amy came in with a head laceration.  Why did they have to describe her as an "obese" 15 year old girl with a head lac?

Common medical jargon.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Bastet said:

Because this show hates fat people.

Much of network TV hates fat people.  And, yes, in this particular case, her weight was irrelevant.  Her medical care wasn't dependent on anyone knowing what her BMI was anymore than her race or religion were needed.  Now, if she'd been diabetic, or had abdominal pain or even if she'd sprained her ankle, her weight might've come into play as part of her diagnosis or treatment; but in this episode, it was irrelevant and unnecessary.  Personally, as a physician whose BMI is in the obese range, I was taken aback that that was the first thing noted about her.

• Love 4

And of course, her foster brother had to continually comment about her size.  I'm sure that's normal for his age, but I thought it was completely unnecessary for the staff to identify her that way.

Again, bad with names, but the woman who Neela told her grandson was dead played a maid on, was it "The Jeffersons"?

Edited by slasherboy

Because I only get this show weekdays at 9 PM, sometimes it conflicts with my other shows and I'll only catch the last half hour if I'm lucky. That was the case two days ago when I caught only the last 26 minutes of the episode where Gant dies. I don't remember it originally and I wanted to re-watch it. I'm so pissed that by the time I'd tuned in, he was already gone. Grrr.

1 hour ago, slasherboy said:

And of course, her foster brother had to continually comment about her size.  I'm sure that's normal for his age, but I thought it was completely unnecessary for the staff to identify her that way.

Again, bad with names, but the woman who Neela told her grandson was dead played a maid on, was it "The Jeffersons"?

Marla Gibbs, who played Florence, the maid on the Jeffersons, as well as starred in another sitcom, 227, played the grandmother whose grandson was mistakenly identified as dead.

Cannot wait until tomorrow's first episode, which brings together many of the old-timers.  Gee, sounds like they found a heart for that patient. but it's in Seattle, of all places!  Wonder if there are any other organs available from that donor?  Wonder if the nurse/transplant coordinator in Seattle has ever heard of County?  So many questions...

• Love 4
1 hour ago, slasherboy said:

Completely unnecessary, and completely consistent with 15 seasons worth of insensitive treatment of obese patients.

• Love 3

I don’t know if this is unpopular or not, but I really liked Wendell and her relationship with Carter. It was the one Carter relationship where I actually liked the introduction of Wendell and  the beginning and development of the relationship. They had a nice easygoing chemistry.

I would have totally bought Carter ending up with her. It’s too bad that it ended up not working because Carter was trying to salvage the Kem thing. And they don’t even end up working things out do they?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, windsprints said:

I'm not sure which thread this belongs in - Hulu has acquired all 15 seasons of ER. News via Sandra Gonzalez on twitter who is at the TCA press tour. Link: 

Thanks for posting this!  I’m already watching.

• Love 2

Of course they add it the day before Pop finishes its run.

Well, I'm not waiting!

Edit: How could Doug not ask about Carter??

Edited by Zoe
On 1/9/2018 at 1:03 AM, redpencil said:

15 hours ago, jjj said:

Quotes deleted because they pertain to "60 Days In" and "Saturday Night Live".  Silly moi.

To stay on topic ..... excited for tomorrow!  Ready to see the end (for the first time) and the beginning (for the umpteenth time, but that's ok) the next day.   Love me some baby Carter.

• Love 1

ER Bingo for episode 19:  you can tell we're getting to the big finish as the Oscar winners guest star.  Susan Sarandon as organ donor's grandma.  Ernest Borgnine as husband of a patient, Paul Manning.  Oscar nominee Rooney Mara as Megan, mom of the abandoned baby.  The blonde highlights make her a little tough to recognize.

I also forget how great Benton's reaction was to seeing Kem's picture.  Not sure his hectoring of Carter's surgeon was such a good idea in the midst of the transplant, although he was right.

For medical errors:  First, Carter says he doesn't have any drug allergies, but we know he had a dyskinetic reaction to Compazine back in Season 3.  Second, we see his belly being prepped and there is no scar on it when he would've been cut from stem to stern when they fixed the damage after the stabbing, not to mention the colostomy and reversal.  Huge, big scars from that and all the drains, etc postop.

ETA: Continuity error (fairly minor).  Benton says Reese is 13.  However, Reese was born in May of season 3 (on Carol's birthday).  It is now Season 15 and is still winter as Carter said his parents were in the Bahamas for the season (and also because I remember the finale aired in April that year).  So, Reese is currently 11, almost 12.  I do seem to recall that Matthew Watkins looks pretty darned grown up in the finale and perhaps that is why they aged him a little.  It's not nearly as bad as the aging of Rachel and Ella Greene, I suppose.

Edited by doodlebug

Wait, why did things start early today?  I tune in at noon and find myself near the end of episode 20, already in progress, with episode 19 having already aired?  (Or did that happen Friday and I missed it then?) So that means I missed the Carter/Benton stuff?  (Can I use any more question marks in one post?) 

Grrr; I should have read this thread more closely about what was going to air when, but I had in my head that the episode to watch for (return of Doug and Carol, which I don't care about, and nice moment between Carter and Benton, which I do) was going to air Monday (today), and I just assumed it would be in the normal slot.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

No, I don't; I don't do any streaming stuff, because none of my TVs are hooked up to the internet and I don't want to watch programming on a little 19-inch monitor.  I can check at my parents' house, since they have a smart TV, but I think they just have Netflix.  I guess I'll just have to remember to check the Saturday schedules to see when they get to it.

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Wait, why did things start early today?  I tune in at noon and find myself near the end of episode 20, already in progress, with episode 19 having already aired?  (Or did that happen Friday and I missed it then?) So that means I missed the Carter/Benton stuff?  (Can I use any more question marks in one post?) 

Grrr; I should have read this thread more closely about what was going to air when, but I had in my head that the episode to watch for (return of Doug and Carol, which I don't care about, and nice moment between Carter and Benton, which I do) was going to air Monday (today), and I just assumed it would be in the normal slot.

I  don't know, I had to work this afternoon, so I cheated and watched 19 on Hulu this morning when an appointment cancelled.    19 did not air last Friday, it was supposed to air at 1 PM EST today on Pop TV.  It really sucks, if, after all this messing around, they messed with the schedule again.  Or, do you not live in the eastern time zone?  In order to finish out the season today and start all over again tomorrow, Pop TV started the show at 1PM rather than 3 PM EST.

ETA: According to their schedule online, Old Times, AKA eppy 19, aired starting at 1:05 PM EST today.

Edited by doodlebug
2 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

It really sucks, if, after all this messing around, they messed with the schedule again.

Yep, they did.  I get the East Coast feed via satellite, so the show airs from noon through 3:30 for me.  But, today, they started at 10:05 in the morning, so by tuning in at noon as per normal, I had missed all of Old Times and almost all of Shifting Equilibrium.  Now, having started at 12:15, is I Feel Good, and the series finale, And in the End will start at 1:20 and run through 3:30.  They must have done that to wrap up season 15 (and the series) today and start anew with the pilot tomorrow, but I don't check the schedule (either on Pop's website or by looking ahead on my program guide), so I didn't know anything would air outside the usual block.

• Love 1

They're pretty sneaky with their program glitches. A few weeks ago they randomly played half of season 14, and it wasn't a holiday. I noticed there was a banner at the bottom of the screen briefly during one of Friday's episodes advertising the programming change, but I wouldn't blame anyone for missing it.

15 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Maybe the switch was due to today being a holiday? I know many channels have marathons and such and alter the usual schedules, etc.

Yeah, there is often a themed marathon on a holiday, but this seems to just be adding extra airings to make a clear delineation between the end of this round of syndication and the start of the next.  I wish they'd done more than a banner advertising it; if they'd done something I'd have heard, I'd have probably caught it (I generally have the episodes on as background noise, and turn to look - the TV is to the right of my desk - if something catches my ear, and otherwise only sit and watch if it's something I know I wanted to see or while I'm taking a break to eat).  Oh well.

But, yay for the return of the credits in the finale!

• Love 1

I thought they said this slumber party patient is 15; how would they be out driving?  (Per the parents' "Kids are going to drink anyway, I'd rather it be at home than out someplace where they'd be driving" defense to serving them vodka.)  Maybe they said 16, or maybe she's 15 but some of her friends are already 16.

At any rate, I think that's too young for letting kids drink at home, never mind letting them play drinking games with hard liquor!  That girl wound up with a sky-high BAC.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

What is this, Love's Labor Lost Part Two?

I can believe the Carter money was enough to get the doors open, but to also keep it running for the first year?  And that he’ll be able to maintain it through fundraising after that?  No.  But no bother – him giving Kerry and Susan the tour was a nice scene.

This is fun; I can't believe I didn't tune in for this back in the day, given how many years I'd watched the series.  I must have been traveling or something.  I'm enjoying it now.  I'm even happy to see Rachel Greene all grown up.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

Why did they have to take away the happy ending for Ariel Winter and her mom who got the heart? She was so sweet in that role.

The Benton/Carter scenes were great. Theirs was probably the best relationship of the series. Doug and Carol kind of boring. Kind of weird that she went from being a nurse to a transplant coordinator...? 

Waaay too much Australian doctor in these last few eps. Neela wasting the whole season with him kind of ruined her reunion with Ray for me.  

Did they have to kill off that mom with the twins? Can’t everyone live on the last episode?

Dislike Kem as much as ever.  If she’s not willing to be with you after years have passed, move on Carter.  He should have stuck with Wendell.

Edited by casey65
  • Love 4

Every time I see the episode about sexual harrassment, I get soooo annoyed at Susan and Abby for laughing about Carter losing his virginity at 11 to the family maid. Not funny guys, not funny at all. What were the writers thinking? :-\

Also, Deb/Jing-Mei somewhat irrationally annoys the crap out of me. She's like nails on a chalkboard to me, and it's annoying how she could never leave permanently until far too late in the much later seasons. I fast-forward through any scene she's in, unless it involves Carter. 

Watching these old-school actors and their characters say hello, again and goodbye to each other is totally doing it for me. 

Not to mention the show that started with Carter learning from Mark ending with Carter teaching Mark's daughter.

I don't regret quitting the show the first time around, because this show became a shadow of its former self, but I'm also glad I saw it through this time.  I got a little choked up when the music started playing for the last time.

Nice ending.

• Love 9