Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E07: Wild Wild West Coast, Part 1

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

It's the ALDC's last week in LA and the Moms' patience with Abby has grown than due to the lack of opportunities for every girl except Abby's favorite. While Maddie is away, guest starring on TV's "Austin and Ally," Abby brings in two swing dancers who not only take away her time and attention but also threaten the girls' chance at their biggest audition to date, a music video for internet sensation and pop star MattyB. Abby's job as manager is put to the test when one of her star pupils gets offered the lead.

I was under the impression that Abby and the girls were staying in Los Angeles for the time-being, but I guess it's just a Season 5 shenanigan?  Wasn't Abby going to open a new studio, with a couple of her girls (the Zieglers, at least) staying with her? The show has become such a circus anymore, I don't know what's going on.

• Love 2

I thought I was misunderstandin things. Abby was going to open or is opening a studio in LA - which isn't finished yet - so I didn't inderstand why everyone went out there since the studio wasn't pready and they're obviously not ready to promote it and accept students. Granted she had signed the girls up for a competition - but the way things were said - I thought the group had gone out there to stay - and obviously others did too - as we wondered about husbands, families ect..  The didn't Abby say something about this wek being their last in LA?

I don't see any of them except Kalani - staying in LA for the new studio. Greg has a business - and I'm sure he's not going to sell that and go taking off to LA. He and Melissa's relationship is a strange one. I can't imagine some guy cheating on his wife, paying for his mistress's childrens dance lessons, bailing out the dance studio and then putting up with his "new" wife jettising around the country every week promoting the show and her kids. Seems they spent more time together before they were married.

I'm sure Holly and Jill's families also just can't up and go when there is no longevity seen with the show - due to viewer drop and the uncertainty that your child will actually break through.

Does Abby really think MackZ is a legitimate thing?  I think Mack is an adorable girl, but she doesn't have a career as a pop star on any level.  I swear Abby and the other moms try to pretend MackZ is like on par with Maddie's Sia gig.   It's not a thing.

I think Mack just gets shy in auditions and clams up.  

Edited by spanana
  • Love 2

My thoughts - I don't like when kids speak back to their elders - but we've seen 3 instances now within the last 2 weeks of this occurring with Kendall, Nia and now Jojo. The entire show has always been about her treatment of the girls and it's getting old. I can understand why the original moms are upset with everyone else trying out for the audition - especially Holly and Jill.

I was kind of shocked the MacKenzie got the lead role as I thought both Nia and Kendall sang better than her. I love MacKenzie, but more for her sweetness and shyness. Neither her dancing or singing is exceptional.

Looking at the youtube video - I see no sign of Mac, Brynn  or Kendall. Jojo is the big standout followed by Kalani and Nia. Sarah is dressed like the school marm - nerd, and Maddie in the sorority jacket.

I'm surprised that Melissa brought Maddie to the video shoot - that's unfair as she has had her share of celebrity moments - and that Abby would even allow her to participate in the video as she was not the lead and only a back up dancer. Abby doesn't apply the same rules to everyone.

I think Nia, Kendall, and Kalani were all too old for what the video directors had originally wanted - they wanted someone on or below Matty's level, and definitely someone who wasn't taller than him.  If Jojo had been a better singer, I think she would have won the lead, but as it stands, they went for singing over dancing.  Mackenzie's singing wasn't good, but Jojo could barely hold a tune.

• Love 4

I didn't pay full attention to the episode and listened more than watched as I was occupied with starting a massive job hunt (exhausting!) but I enjoyed it when Melissa got snapped at by Abby because usually she is considered the "golden mom(child)" because she is Maddie's mom. My thought was "About time!"

When the girls were auditioning for the video the only two caused me to look up at the TV to watch -- Kendall and JoJo. Obviously, I was impressed with Kendall's singing and horrified by JoJo's singing.

That video was hilariously bad.  

I guess Mack "got the lead" over Jojo because of her singing?  I feel so sorry for Mack - she seems so shy and out of place in situations like these, she's the least "pop-star" out of all of them. I wish Abby would give it up with the whole Mack-Z thing, its kind of embarassing.

I think Brynn, as shy as she may be, could easily out-dance both Mackenzie and Jojo.  It is funny that there are 3 Club Dance girls on the ALDC right now.  Abby must have a publicity deal with them or something. 

• Love 3

Can't say I'm a Matty B fan - like I was Justin Bieber when he was younger. If you notice tho - a lot of the Matty B videos on youtube have Matty B - but then they also have the girls who sing with him listed - so given MacZ credit should not have been a problem. Most of the comments under the video are Dance Mom fans tho - not Matty B.

Kalani has definitely matured since her stint on AUDC. And sofiah - I think you're right - Brynn would outdance Mac and Jojo. I don't know why they keep referring to JoJo as Mac's competition tho - she's just a few months younger than Kendall and Maddie. She doesn't have the technique those 2 do though.

As far as the singing - I didn't expect too much from Jojo due to her speech problem. The worst 2 singers for me were Kalani and Sarah.

Again - watching the reruns last night on Lifetime and I have noticed and especially noticed last night how the drama and animosity towards other dancers and studios is so hokey.  On watching Ava and her mom's studio compete against Abby's - there was so much drama with Abby and Ava's mom and yet come awards - there's Ava being sweet as can be congratulating the ALDC kids for their win.

It also surprised me that Abby brought Sarah back - last season - she kicked them to the curb saying - she didn't need them anymore.

Does anyone know or has read anyhing about how Brooke, Paige and Chloe are doing - besides the videos on Youtube?

I'm surprised that Melissa brought Maddie to the video shoot - that's unfair as she has had her share of celebrity moments - and that Abby would even allow her to participate in the video as she was not the lead and only a back up dancer. Abby doesn't apply the same rules to everyone.

This can be best be compared to Claude Rains, as Capt. Renault in Casablanca, exclaiming in Rick's "I'm shocked, shocked to find out that gambling is going on in here".  Is there anything that Melissa will not do to insert Maddie into any situation that gets her even the slightest degree of recognition? It's pathetic but the most pathetic is Holly who now sees Nia as having a brilliant career in show business.  There are meds available for people with these kind of grandiose delusions.  Holly should begin to use them.  The whole audition scene was so scripted and phony that it was laughable.  The only good thing about it was when MattyB's ( who just proves that having no talent is not an impediment to being a "star") father, after listening to Abby's line of BS just turned how back on her and walked away.

I did realize MattyB used to be heavily promoted by Perez Hilton until recently---which now explains his millions and millions of views. I also noticed that those views stopped being so high once the Perez Hilton's articles stopped. 

My entire thought process of this episode if WTF? Like, really...none of it makes sense. Same drama between the mom's...insiders versus outsiders. The audition was ridiculous---though I will say the only reason why Mackenzie would get the lead over Jojo is because Jojo couldn't sing. I won't knock her speech, I had an issue as a kid so I get it, but she was so focused on saying the words that there was no singing. Otherwise, Mackenzie would have stood no real chance---we already know Abby insisted on it. And Maddie...really? Why show up, in hair and make-up...that is just so tacky. 

Now, I'm actually curious...since Mackenzie was clearly pulled, Maddie was never filmed and Sarah R. and Brynn were upgraded from tier 3...what happened to Kendall? I don't think Jill would have left, even if Abby told her too, and Nia has a contract just like Kendall does now so that shouldn't have made a difference. It makes no sense why Kendall wasn't in the video. 

This show. Lordy. Why am I still watching this crap??!

I am sorry that Kendall didn't get to be in the final video. She was excited about it and she looked really cute - she has come a long way since her beginning on the show.

That MattyB video. Ugh. Why do we make these people famous?

My guess is that Kendall and Nia have both had some formal voice training, and the result was hat even though, vocally, they were better than Mackenzie, they almost sounded too formal/polished (since MattyB is, like MackZ, a cute, not particularly talented and pretty much untrained except in how to look cute, singer).

Speech impediments are often not carried over into singing, and, in fact, learning how to sing can help train the mouth what to do so it becomes more conscious. But I do have to say it's obvious that Abby's original girls actually have spent some time on singing, while the new girls haven't.

The video people seemed kind of pissed that she showed up too.

I had that stupid "I just wanna dance" song in my head all day from this.  Is that MattyB guy really a big deal? He looks like such a baby to me, but maybe I'm just getting old.

I thought Mackenzie did a good job on singing. Nia cracked me up with her pronunciation of "dance". Kendall was pretty good but they were looking at someone that was around MattyB's size. They also said Kendall was forgettable, which I agree.

I think Mackenzie is adorable while dancing and with her facial expressions, stands out, just like Maddie. Nia, Kendall, & JoJo do not have very cute facial expressions,IMO. I also agree that Kalani does gave a beautiful pinup girl look.

MattyB is very popular among the younger crowd. I have preteen boys and they are very familiar with MattyB. He does have talent.

I wish Abby would give it up with the whole Mack-Z thing, its kind of embarrassing.

I have second hand embarrassment for Mackenzie. And why change the name to Mack-Z? Considering this whole MattyB thing... there is obviously some production company connection to him. Abby knew the choreographer. The comments during the audition follow Abby's decision, which means its likely it was decided a head of time. If Mackenzie was supposed to sing, it would have been done before the shoot anyways (unless the fully mixed song they were playing while doing the shoot wasn't actually the final one? And they then went back and recoded new vocals and remixed?).

You are not a pop star because your parent can afford to pay for you to make a music video. 

I'm also so sick of the Abby is a Hollywood manager thing this show keeps forcing on us. With everything they do related to an audition/music video/whatever. It's all scripted/set up for the show. At least the first season felt realistic, whether it was or not. 

• Love 4
I have second hand embarrassment for Mackenzie. And why change the name to Mack-Z?

Maybe it's supposed to be like J-Lo or something? But it just seems fake because no one calls her Mack when they use a nickname they call her Kenzie.  Mack-Z is just this fake name they came up with to be cute.  I can't decide if Mackenzie actually buys into any of the pop start stuff or not, but Abby certainly seems to.

I think Mackenzie is really cute and a good dancer, but I don't see her being a pop star.  She needs to gain some confidence.  And that's not an insult, I certainly didn't have much confidence at age 10.  But some kids do (like JoJo and even Maddie), and they are the ones more likely to be successful as kid stars.

So we're supposed to believe a 10 year old with a youtube account has an entire team of youtube video producers, talent scouts, and choreographers? For youtube? Can anybody vouch for this kid being a real thing?

When you have that many subs and hits you actually get paid quite a bit; so yeah, legit. Perez Hilton used to spam the heck out of his videos and he's appeared on Ellen. 

So we're supposed to believe a 10 year old with a youtube account has an entire team of youtube video producers, talent scouts, and choreographers? For youtube? Can anybody vouch for this kid being a real thing?

Probably, especially if the kid is getting revenue from Youtube or other outlets, though I'm sure it's a family business.  But It really makes me embarrassed for ALL the adults involved in the career of this child.  Another example is this other kid, dubbed Alex Angelo, who is popping up around Disney channel, for one.  His father is a manager for iHeart Media (formerly Clear Channel) and been trying for years to get his son in showbiz, using his connections and money.  Maybe the kid has talent, I have no idea.  But the route these people take to give their kids a few minutes of fame is so cheap, IMO.   

I wanted to add onto what Doctor Whovian said about popstars:

You are not a pop star because your parent can afford to pay for you to make a music video.

You're also not a popstar just because a bunch of people clicked a particular button on their computer.  Is that what entertainment has come to, the amount of "hits" a video gets on a website?  Same goes for "Mack-Z" and her millions of hits.  Once the show is gone, she will go away with it.  I feel bad for Mack, because I really think she's trying to please others, and just going with the flow.  She's seems too sweet and shy, I don't think she has the right personality type.  

• Love 1

Mackenzie is a normal kid and there's nothing wrong with that. She doesn't have the "it" that Melissa and Abby keep trying to pull out of her. They keep trying to force her along the same path that Maddie is taking and I just don't think it's fair. With Maddie, I believe that she genuinely has a desire to be deeply involved in dance and now the other things that are happening. With Mackenzie I think you have a child who would gladly have taken dance classes but could have passed on the competition team completely.

The thing that bothers me about how Abby treats Mackenzie is that she's not helping her to develop in any way by ignoring who the child really is. For instance, at the age that Mackenzie is now (nearly 11), Maddie was much more advanced dance wise. Why hasn't Melissa complained about the technical skills that her child is clearly not receiving? Or if Mackenzie is receiving those classes, it's time for Abby and Melissa to face the music especially in regards to calling out others for the technique. Mack is noticeably off or behind for many of the group routines and her solos are always these uber cutesy numbers because she can't pull off the more mature routines. Abby is quick to comment on Nia's and even JoJo and Kendall's skills but Mack is the one that can not keep up more and more. Of course because of her relationship with Melissa and Maddie; Abby never mentions this. 

• Love 3

Tas - you hit it on the head. I noticed especially on Stomp the Yard - how off Mack was. Abby complained a few weeks back about Sara being off but Sara's technical skills are far superior to Mack's if you watch a competition.

Checking youtube, MattyB has videos up from 2 years ago, also checked in on Angelo - nothing special and someone else named Austin who compares himself to Bieber. Since Bieber got his bog break on youtube - everyone thinks they'll be the next star. Unfortunately, most don't have the talent to back it up. The only thing giving them this false hope is a bunch of little girls clicking away because they think they're cute - not talented. No different than in my day with Bobby Sherman or David Soul.

• Love 1

It's also important to note that "youtube stars" have zero presence off the internet. Not just the wannabe pop stars, but the vloggers and every one else. I'm sure that everyone here has varying degrees of knowledge about these people, as well as varying degrees of involvement on various internet social-media/forums/etc., so we will hear about some of these people and groups. But for the rest of my family? They have no clue about any of it. Maybe they saw Maddie because of Chandelier, but they probably don't know who she is.

Facebook has increased the spread of these more viral videos and images and people, but it's still not at the same level of acknowledgement that people posting in a place like this will have. I've been pretty active, at least reading, online since the late 90s. I can think of "viral videos" that pre-date Youtube. Lolcats were particularly annoying when it became a meme, not because its a meme, but because those images had been around for years before they became popular. Now, the average person sees these faster, but lets not pretend that everyone is as knowledgeable about this stuff as we are.

And so when I watch a show like this where these adult women care so much about social media, it just makes me feel bad for them. it's such a bubble to be in, and it's appropriate when you're young, but there comes a point where what someone said on twitter shouldn't be part of a normal conversation. (An exception can be, oh I saw that Marge got a new dog because she posted a picture on Facebook, or did you see so-and-so got a new job? Things that would normally be spread by phone or in person conversations but are now shared through social media.) Then you throw in all the faked stuff in this show and it just becomes worse.

• Love 1

Mackenzie is a normal kid and there's nothing wrong with that. She doesn't have the "it" that Melissa and Abby keep trying to pull out of her. They keep trying to force her along the same path that Maddie is taking and I just don't think it's fair. With Maddie, I believe that she genuinely has a desire to be deeply involved in dance and now the other things that are happening. With Mackenzie I think you have a child who would gladly have taken dance classes but could have passed on the competition team completely.

The thing that bothers me about how Abby treats Mackenzie is that she's not helping her to develop in any way by ignoring who the child really is. For instance, at the age that Mackenzie is now (nearly 11), Maddie was much more advanced dance wise. Why hasn't Melissa complained about the technical skills that her child is clearly not receiving? Or if Mackenzie is receiving those classes, it's time for Abby and Melissa to face the music especially in regards to calling out others for the technique. Mack is noticeably off or behind for many of the group routines and her solos are always these uber cutesy numbers because she can't pull off the more mature routines. Abby is quick to comment on Nia's and even JoJo and Kendall's skills but Mack is the one that can not keep up more and more. Of course because of her relationship with Melissa and Maddie; Abby never mentions this. 

I agree.  Instead of finding what Mackenzie is really good at, what she enjoys, Abby is just going full steam ahead with this pop star thing, even though Mackenzie is clearly uncomfortable in that role. In terms of her dancing, I feel like a couple seasons back Abby talked a lot about how Mack needed to "mature" and do more lyrical numbers... was it last season when she made Mack do Maddie's "Angel" solo?  I feel that it didn't really work out though (as in, Mackenzie didn't really excel in these more "mature" numbers, or maybe she just didn't enjoy doing them) and so Abby has now completely dropped it.  I feel like she almost uses "Mack-Z" as an excuse: Mackenzie can't dance as well as Maddie, or some other girls her age, but it's ok because she's a POPSTAR! I do think that in her sick twisted way Abby cares a lot about Mack, so I don't think she's doing it to be mean... but it's still really delusional. 

Also, if lyrical isn't Mack's thing, I don't see why Abby can't give her a sassy jazz solo that ISN'T cutesy/childish. It's like the second it's a Mackenzie solo you know the music is going to be something really cheesy, her costume is going to be plastered with red hearts or frills, her face is going to be painted in some ridiculous way, and she's going to have bows and pigtails in her hair.  

And it's guaranteed she will do that silly little revolving flip acrobat thing she does. At jump a girl that was 7 or 8 beat Mackenzie in the mini division with a much more mature solo. It's really going to come to a head here soon because this is the last competition season that Mackenzie can compete as a mini. They talk about being worried about Maddie and Kendall moving up to Teen, but they can handle it. Mack moving up to Junior should be there real concern because she's going to be another Nia. Rarely placing in the top 5 unless it's some sort of "speciality" routine. 

Taylor Swift had talent to back up the video.  Poor little MackZ needs heavy AutoTune to even begin to be acceptable.

Yeah... she was also signed to a major label shortly after moving to Nashville, her debut album was very successful, and she was the youngest person to have singlehandedly written a # 1 song... and a couple years after that she had the number 1 album in the country and four Grammys. I don't think Mack-Z or MattyB are really even remotely in the same league.

• Love 4

I feel like a couple seasons back Abby talked a lot about how Mack needed to "mature" and do more lyrical numbers... was it last season when she made Mack do Maddie's "Angel" solo?  I feel that it didn't really work out though (as in, Mackenzie didn't really excel in these more "mature" numbers, or maybe she just didn't enjoy doing them) and so Abby has now completely dropped it.

IIRC, Mack did a great job with Maddie's solo. She got excoriated by Abby for not using "Maddie face," but her dancing was very close to her sister's at the same age. I wonder if they don't keep her in those acrobatic routines so she can continue to play the role of the cute little kid on the show? 

IIRC, Mack did a great job with Maddie's solo. She got excoriated by Abby for not using "Maddie face," but her dancing was very close to her sister's at the same age. I wonder if they don't keep her in those acrobatic routines so she can continue to play the role of the cute little kid on the show? 

Mackenzie technically executed Maddie's solo, but she looked like she struggled through the whole thing.   Not that I blame Mackenzie - no little sister should have to "copy" her older sister's dance.  If Abby wanted her to do lyrical then she should have choreographed a lyrical piece for Mackenzie that played to her strengths, not had her copy one that was tailor made for Maddie.  

But I don't think it's something that happens just for the show.  Case in point, this was Mackenzie's solo last weekend at JUMP:

http://youtu.be/8XtO_iu992U

Frilly costume? Check.  Little handstand move? Check.  Bows in hair? Pigtails?  Check, etc.  And this wasn't on the show, wasn't filmed, etc.  Mind you I do think this one is a little more intricate then usual, and I mean, I don't blame her - this placed 3rd and she may not have placed with a lyrical routine, and maybe she just doesn't like doing lyrical.  But as she gets older these kinds of routines will stop placing - it's just trick after trick after trick.   I guess we'll have to see how she develops as a dancer.  

Edited by sofiah
  • Love 3

Mackenzie recreated a solo Maddie did at 8 when she was 10 and did not do it as well. Like I said I blame Abby and Melissa for not realizing that Maddie's style of dance is not Mackenzie's style. Mackenzie probably needs to be pushed more into Jazz, Tap and maybe Hip-Hop classes as lyrical/contemporary just do not work for her. She doesn't have what it takes to really excel in the genre and not focusing on or addressing it is not doing her any favors. 

Mackenzie recreated a solo Maddie did at 8 when she was 10 and did not do it as well. Like I said I blame Abby and Melissa for not realizing that Maddie's style of dance is not Mackenzie's style. Mackenzie probably needs to be pushed more into Jazz, Tap and maybe Hip-Hop classes as lyrical/contemporary just do not work for her. She doesn't have what it takes to really excel in the genre and not focusing on or addressing it is not doing her any favors. 

What Mackenzie really needs is for Melissa to be beaten about the head with a 2x4 until she realizes that Mac should go back into public school, live a normal pre-teen's life and not have her head filled with false dreams of being a "pop" star or an upper echelon dancer. She does not have nearly enough talent to succeed as either. Mackenzie is a cute kid who seems to be not as cutthroat as her mother or as blindly ambitious as her sister.  Get her away from this horror show before it's too late or her only childhood memories will be of her time on this insanity. 

• Love 3

I couldn't agree more Cali! Sofiah - thanks for link.  I was surprised that again - they had her outfitted as if she was 5. She didn't do bad - but the music was too fast for her. She couldn't get into true extensions before she was on to another trick and it looked sloppy. I noticed all the mistakes that Abby criticizes the others for. I'm not sure how many numbers Mack was in for the competition but I noticed on the last show that Abby had her in 3 numbers and at the time I thought to myself - that's too many for Mack. She needs time to remember dances and to not make mistakes or do everything half a**. I feel bad for these girls because when their 15 minutes are up and they go back to reg. life and reg. school - there will be a lot of kids that will tease them. Oh some will love them and will want to be their friend because of the TV show but others will be nasty.

• Love 1

I had to watch Mackenzie's solo without sound and it was interesting. She has a lot of great skills in her bag, but watching without sound emphasized that she was merely traveling from one move to the next without any sort of grace or anything resembling actual dancing. I'm not even sure it's her fault. The choreography seemed so rushed and packed with tricks that even in silence I could tell there was no musicality or artistry. Dance is about the transitions, too, not just the moves with names, and there was none of that here.

I would love to see Mackenzie work with different teachers and choreographers. She has great strength, flexibility, and control for her age and with proper training I think she could excel.

• Love 3

Same here, Law Mom.  I watched Mack's solo without sound and it sort of looked like a bunch of tricks with REALLY rushed choreography to tie them together.  It's too bad she couldn't be a gymnast or do cheerleading - something more in line with her talents.  She has some neat moves, but like other have already stated, there is no real artistry here.  Comparing the ALDC acrobats, Brooke had great artistry but not much personality, while Mack is the opposite.  I do think her pigtail look has to go, though I think she might have been going for an Ariana Grande look - I think Mack is a fan of hers. 

After painfully putting myself through that video twice (!), I'm confused.  There are five girls and three of them are clearly Nia, JoJo and Kalani.  With the hairdos, glasses, etc., it was hard to make out who the other two were.  Brynn and Sarah?  Maddie and Mackenzie?  It doesn't appear that any of the girls are singing in some sort of lead role with the youtube kid.  If anything, JoJo, Kalani and Nia are the most prominently featured of the girls.  

Yeah, it cracked me up that Melissa showed up with Maddie after finding out that the youtube kid's videos have over a Billion! views.  Melissa is such a dope sometimes.  

I agree that Mackenzie would have been a great gymnast.  She's a very cute but quite average dancer and a singer she is not.  Even though she is apparently a great pop star.

Edited by limecoke

Mackenzie, go listen to some very early Michael Jackson, ie "Got to be there", "Ben", etc. Listen to the passion and delivery that little Mike brought to those songs.

None of these girls are real singers, FACT.

I'm sick and tired of these bickering moms!