Type keyword(s) to search

Columbo - General Discussion

Curtsy
  • Start Topic

On 5/9/2017 at 5:43 PM, peacheslatour said:

Yep, they also run them every weekday morning on Hallmark; Movies and Mysteries.

You also want to keep an eye out for HMM's marathons. They just had one for Columbo this past Sunday, so it'll probably be a few weeks before it's his turn again; it's Monk day this Saturday.

• Love 1

Who's the best arrogant jerk that its satisfying to see Columbo catch? I have a few favorites--Dabney Colman, Richard Kiley and William Shatner come to mind but I'm sure there are others (honorable mention to Jack Cassidy, just because I don't like the actor as much as the others.)

• Love 4
On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 9:44 PM, Padma said:

Who's the best arrogant jerk that its satisfying to see Columbo catch? I have a few favorites--Dabney Colman, Richard Kiley and William Shatner come to mind but I'm sure there are others (honorable mention to Jack Cassidy, just because I don't like the actor as much as the others.)

In my book it's Dale Kingston (Ross Martin).  So smug, so self-righteous.  The character truly thought he was so much above Colombo in the intelligence department.  I could watch "Suitable for Framing" all day long because it's such a good episode. 

On 4/10/2017 at 5:53 AM, Milburn Stone said:

Really enjoyed the first interview, @VCRTracking, about the genesis of the show. I thought Link would also mention the detective character in the French movie Diabolique (1955), which features a humble detective in a rumpled raincoat who keeps saying "oh, just one more thing" as he's about to exit a room. The similarities between that character and Columbo are too great to be coincidental. Taking nothing away from Levinson and Link, I still would have liked to see Link mention that as a source. But maybe he mentions that in the fourth interview, the one about the raincoat, the cigars, and the disheveled look?

OOHHH!!! Diabolique just starting on TCM!!

Subtitled. Time to turn off the computer.

Edited by ennui
  • Love 2
On 7/30/2017 at 9:44 PM, Padma said:

Oh, my favorites are Jack Cassidy and Patrick McGoohan.  I just love them!!  Jack is such a magnificent jerk!!!  So sad he died relatively young.  

• Love 6

Columbo is probably my favourite TV character. The 70's episodes are superb; those that extended into the late 90's and noughties are probably best ignored. 

Edited by Pindrop
  • Love 2

I don't have cable, so I watch the old and new Columbo episodes over the air every weekend. The "new" ones are mostly hard to watch; I like the old ones much better. I also mostly speed through the ones with Peter Falk's wife, Shera Danese, because I don't think she's much of an actress. 

My favorite take down of a criminal: Ross Martin in "Suitable for Framing"

• Love 3
3 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

I like Hector Elizondo in "A Case of Immunity" because his character is so certain his political connections and diplomatic immunity will protect him.

I agree, I also liked him as the psychiatrist on Monk when Monk's original shrink died. The young actor who played the king was excellent too. Sad about his death at such a young age.

• Love 2
On 11/16/2017 at 9:06 AM, LoneHaranguer said:

I like Hector Elizondo in "A Case of Immunity" because his character is so certain his political connections and diplomatic immunity will protect him.

I saw that episode recently. Jeff Goldblum is on several times as a protestor waiting outside the gates. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 8:44 PM, Padma said:

All of the above are just superb in the arrogant jerk role!  As far as a woman goes, I think Susan Clark was very good in the episode 'Lady in Waiting' where she murders her brother to gain control of the family company.  She's so over the top arrogant she cant see Columbo sees right through her.  Her clothes and hair are hilarious-- she goes so overboard to be 'hip'.  I was 17 when this episode aired and I remember laughing to myself when anyone not in their teens tried to dress that way.  It just usually doesn't work.  The flip hairstyle she gets her hair cut into and so smugly struts around with was totally out of style by 1971.  Anyway, Columbo smells a rat pretty fast in her case even though she's so obnoxiously 'tolerant' of the little rumpled guy ;)

• Love 4

Also, in the most arrogant jerk role I nominate Ray Milland!  He's in two Columbo's: "The Greenhouse Jungle" and "Death Lends a Hand".  His utter disgust for Columbo is so much fun to watch and it's obvious Columbo turns up the bumbling fool act just to get at him.  Mr. Milland plays Pompous so well!  And his shocked reactions when he realizes Columbo is not the simpleton he thought is something to see! I wish all these wonderful actors were still around.

• Love 4

Falk was a great pocketer of other people's disposable lighters. One Sunday afternoon, Dabney Coleman was expecting Falk over to watch a game. On the table in front of the TV: two big glass ashtrays -- one apiece -- and a white Bic lighter with a piece of masking tape on the side. On the masking tape, in thick black letters: NOT PETER FALK'S.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
On 12/10/2017 at 9:57 PM, stcroix said:

Also, in the most arrogant jerk role I nominate Ray Milland!  He's in two Columbo's: "The Greenhouse Jungle" and "Death Lends a Hand".  His utter disgust for Columbo is so much fun to watch and it's obvious Columbo turns up the bumbling fool act just to get at him.  Mr. Milland plays Pompous so well!  And his shocked reactions when he realizes Columbo is not the simpleton he thought is something to see! I wish all these wonderful actors were still around.

Good choice. I'd have to nominate Hector Elizondo as the Arabian diplomat who tried to get Columbo taken off the case. I thought it was hilarious when the king showed back up after everyone thought he had already left to go back to his country and Columbo exposed the diplomat him by getting him to confess and then he begged to be put through the American justice system rather than go back to his "barbaric" country to face their brand of justice. I also really liked the king, he was sharp.

• Love 2

I have fallen in love with this show over the past few weeks.  I utterly adored watching bearded Dick Van Dyke, the fancy-schmancy photographer, slowly simmering every time he sees The Trenchcoat.  That scene at the funeral where Columbo is just clicking away and sticking out like a sore thumb.  I want to order the TV Shirt on METV's website that has the line he gave Van Dyke afterwards, "I'm sorry, sir, I tried to be inconspicuous."    

And Van Dyke's frustrated reply, "You have failed...miserably".

• Love 5
On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 0:36 AM, stcroix said:

All of the above are just superb in the arrogant jerk role!  As far as a woman goes, I think Susan Clark was very good in the episode 'Lady in Waiting' where she murders her brother to gain control of the family company.  She's so over the top arrogant she cant see Columbo sees right through her.  Her clothes and hair are hilarious-- she goes so overboard to be 'hip'.  I was 17 when this episode aired and I remember laughing to myself when anyone not in their teens tried to dress that way.  It just usually doesn't work.  The flip hairstyle she gets her hair cut into and so smugly struts around with was totally out of style by 1971.  Anyway, Columbo smells a rat pretty fast in her case even though she's so obnoxiously 'tolerant' of the little rumpled guy ;)

Yes, the hairstyle.

And don't forget the hat.

"Lady in Waiting" is on tonight; it doesn't sound familiar, so I'm not sure if I've seen it. Can't wait. 

On 12/10/2017 at 7:47 PM, Willowsmom said:

Anyone know  what happened to Poupee  Bocar from Troubled Waters? I've read three different death dates and a 'she's alive in Palm Springs  '.

IMDB has her still alive, but it's funny, googling her name brought up "death" searches too! 

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 2:05 PM, Mystery said:

I don't have cable, so I watch the old and new Columbo episodes over the air every weekend. The "new" ones are mostly hard to watch; I like the old ones much better. I also mostly speed through the ones with Peter Falk's wife, Shera Danese, because I don't think she's much of an actress. 

My favorite take down of a criminal: Ross Martin in "Suitable for Framing"

I prefer the older ones, too, and you're probably right about Shera overall. However, I have to admit I thought she was very good opposite Dabney Coleman (one of my favorite arrogant villains). The "twist" really made zero sense when you thought about it, but the two of them played through it convincingly and I liked how she seemed to be a very capable law partner who could scheme opportunistically just as well as he could.

I think I prefer the ones where the murderer isn't too sympathetic. I'd rather root for Columbo and not sit hoping the killer will get off (like Ruth Gordon, Faye Dunaway and... trying to think of a man but off the top, only thinking of those who were more than deserving of being caught.)  Most of the killers' motives weren't very sympathetic, but Dunaway and Gordon's were. And both had great chemistry with Columbo, too.

• Love 5

So I watched "Lady in Waiting" tonight. I'd actually already seen it, but I didn't recognize it from  the (completely accurate) description of "woman kills brother so she can run company." Instead, I've thought of this episode as "woman kills her controlling brother so she can be free."  Crazy!  

• Love 3
On 1/14/2018 at 0:32 AM, Padma said:

I'd rather root for Columbo and not sit hoping the killer will get off (like Ruth Gordon, Faye Dunaway and... trying to think of a man but off the top, only thinking of those who were more than deserving of being caught.)

The closest I can come to a sympathetic man was Donald Pleasance as the fellow who just wanted to keep sipping exceptional wines. And that was only because you could get how he must have felt realizing that killing his brother in the way he did also "destroyed" what he loved.

• Love 4

I loved George Hamilton as the villain.  I believe he was featured twice, but he was just so delightful in the one in which he had a true crimes show that he was trying to hold onto (oh, he was a psychologist in another episode).  The episode this morning had Leonard Nimoy as a doctor who tried to kill another doctor.  He played arrogant really well.

Love this show.  Quite frankly, the Hallmark Mystery and Movies channel has some of my favorite shows on it, and I prefer watching them over the new stuff on t.v. (Columbo, Monk, and Psych are the ones I really enjoy).

• Love 2
10 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

The closest I can come to a sympathetic man was Donald Pleasance as the fellow who just wanted to keep sipping exceptional wines. And that was only because you could get how he must have felt realizing that killing his brother in the way he did also "destroyed" what he loved.

That one came close in the beginning but then he was so mean to his assistant who loved him.  Maybe Johnny Cash was sympathetic because his wife was pretty overbearing (but didn't he kill the assistant, too)? Maybe I just think of him because he was so likable and got along well with Columbo but was, again, not really a nice person in the end.  I'm really surprised I can't think of any man who had the good motives for the crime like Dunaway and Gordon (others?) did and were basically decent people. 

• Love 1

I've been thinking about the discussion of whether Mrs. Columbo was real or not (why no, I don't have a life, why do you ask?), and I think the murder on the Mexican cruise would support that she existed.  Various crew members said they had seen her when Columbo asked, so I take that as confirmation.  As for other family members, there was the episode in the later years that was the kidnapping of Columbo's nephew's wife-so we did actually see a family member.

Anyone remember the fiasco that was the show Mrs. Columbo?

• Love 3

So, just watched a Columbo episode and Dabney Coleman was playing a supporting character-he was the policeman working with Columbo.  It got me to wondering-is he the only actor who first appeared as a police office and then returned as the featured villain?

• Love 1
On 3/28/2014 at 7:41 AM, beezer said:

I love this show. It shows in my area every Sunday night. Never miss it. I should also note that I began watching in the '70's. Yep, I said it!

When I watch Colombo I can't help but think of Bobby from Criminal Intent. That leads to me to Sherlock. Seems for generations we have had a Sherlock of some kind in our living rooms. And I couldn't be happier.

Great observationl! I love Columbo and love the Goren and Eames episodes of Criminal Intent.  Both shows share the same type of plot structure where the perpetrators are revealed in the beginning, but the the drama and entertainment is in watching the detectives learn how to let the suspects guards down to get the leads and finally the confession.  It's been a few years since I've binged on Columbo so I started at the beginning, and was awed by how entertaining the "making an omelette" scene was.   Peter Falk is just one of a kind, a truly unforgettable screen presence and charm.  Columbo is a comfy as a cup of hot chocolate in front of a crackling fire.  

Columbo-omelette.jpg

• Love 5
On 1/21/2018 at 3:07 AM, DeaconBlues said:

It's been a few years since I've binged on Columbo so I started at the beginning, and was awed by how entertaining the "making an omelette" scene was. 

Thank you for reminding me of that scene, and -- just as you say -- how entertaining it was. I think part of the appeal is how the business of actual cooking ratchets up the stakes of the scene. Falk has to flash new real-person skills, and convince us that he is (1) making an omelette, while (2) delivering a compelling monologue, as Columbo, which (3) for Columbo, gets the job done. And the omelette, the character, and the narrative flow all have to come across as equally real.

That's where stage training and experience carry the day.

• Love 2
On 1/21/2018 at 6:49 AM, Pallas said:

Thank you for reminding me of that scene, and -- just as you say -- how entertaining it was. I think part of the appeal is how the business of actual cooking ratchets up the stakes of the scene. Falk has to flash new real-person skills, and convince us that he is (1) making an omelette, while (2) delivering a compelling monologue, as Columbo, which (3) for Columbo, get the job done. And the omelette, the character, and the narrative flow all have to come across as equally real.

That's where stage training and experience carry the day.

The other one I remember had cooking was Murder Under Glass with Louis Jordan. Near the end they were making escallop de veau and it seemed like Falk really knew his way around a kitchen.

• Love 7

I just watched Prescription: Murder (1968 pilot). I have always enjoyed this one with Gene Barry. They use different music at the intro. Falk looks so much younger. I really appreciated the scenes between Falk and Barry in the office. They are describing Columbo very well. 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, LakeGal said:

I just watched Prescription: Murder (1968 pilot). I have always enjoyed this one with Gene Barry. They use different music at the intro. Falk looks so much younger. I really appreciated the scenes between Falk and Barry in the office. They are describing Columbo very well. 

It being the made in the mid 60s Columbo doesn't look as rumpled as he should. He actually looks tidy with his hair shorter. Once the 70s came along he let his hair grow out.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2

I followed up the pilot with watching the first episode of the series Ransom for a Dead Man (1971).  This one stars Lee Grant.  Another great episode.  I really do enjoy looking at the old mansions they used in the series.  They are so gaudy and tacky looking.  I noticed they used the same tactic as in the pilot.  In that one they had Gene Barry leave the room and the camera showed he left his handkerchief on the phone.  Then we see him return to take the handkerchief with him.  In this one they showed Lee Grant leave the briefcase behind.  The camera stayed on it.  But she returned to grab it.  Of course it never matters since Columbo always catches them anyway.  I did laugh at Columbo with his lost pen outside the door of the mansion.  He has Lee Grant and then others helping him look for the pen.  I love when he does things like this.    

• Love 3
3 hours ago, LakeGal said:

I followed up the pilot with watching the first episode of the series Ransom for a Dead Man (1971).  This one stars Lee Grant.  Another great episode.  I really do enjoy looking at the old mansions they used in the series.  They are so gaudy and tacky looking.  I noticed they used the same tactic as in the pilot.  In that one they had Gene Barry leave the room and the camera showed he left his handkerchief on the phone.  Then we see him return to take the handkerchief with him.  In this one they showed Lee Grant leave the briefcase behind.  The camera stayed on it.  But she returned to grab it.  Of course it never matters since Columbo always catches them anyway.  I did laugh at Columbo with his lost pen outside the door of the mansion.  He has Lee Grant and then others helping him look for the pen.  I love when he does things like this.    

Also because each was meant to be a pilot epiode, they had the suspect correctly figure out Columbo's entire character and modus operandi of acting deferential and feigning incompetence and tell it to him to so viewers will understand the premise. I love that even though they had him pegged Columbo outsmarts them anyway because they're so arrogant. I especially love when Lee Grant does it:

Leslie Williams: You know, Columbo, you're almost likable in a shabby sort of way. Maybe it's the way you come slouching in here with your shopworn bag of tricks.
Lt. Columbo: Me? Tricks?
Leslie Williams: The humility, the seeming absent-mindedness, the homey anecdotes about the family, the wife, you know?
Lt. Columbo: Really?
Leslie Williams: Yeah, Lieutenant Columbo, fumbling and stumbling along. But it's always the jugular that he's after. And I imagine that, more often than not, he's successful.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 7

I'm currently watching the episode No Time To Die, where Columbos' nephew's bride is kidnapped on their wedding night. The thing I really like about it is that the kidnapped woman is no passive damsel in distress, she's proactive and uses chemistry to take the door of her prison off it's hinges. It also shows how much respect the entire department has for Lt. Columbo.

• Love 1

Something else I really appreciate about No Time to Die is that we really get to see what an excellent detective Columbo is without having to appear "less than" in order to get the suspect to make a mistake.  It's just take charge and figure out the clues.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

Something else I really appreciate about No Time to Die is that we really get to see what an excellent detective Columbo is without having to appear "less than" in order to get the suspect to make a mistake.  It's just take charge and figure out the clues.

It's a departure from the usual formula and while I love the standard Howcatchem structure of most of the show, that episode was a fantastic look at how freaking brilliant Lt Columbo really was. It was long before Criminal Minds, way ahead of it's time.

Is any streaming service currently showing Columbo episodes? It seems to me that someone used to be doing this, but last night I checked iTunes, Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime, and none of them were. (Actually I found Season 1 on Amazon Prime, but it comes with a notation that says "not available in your area," or something like that; I have no idea what that means, but the bottom line is that it wasn't possible to watch.) It still may be that some portal I haven't checked is doing it, though. Just curious.

My 2 favorite episodes were the Dick Van Dyke as the photographer one and the Richard Kiley as Columbo's boss one.  Both had committed what I thought were perfect crimes.  There was no way Columbo was going to figure these out.....and then he did.  Since he couldn't actually prove either was the murderer, he had to trick them into incriminating themselves so completely that they had no choice but to confess.  Brilliant in both episodes! 

(I have to admit that I was actually rooting for Dick Van Dyke to get away with it.  His crime was so perfectly executed that I felt Columbo was only after him because he "knew" he was that episode's guest starring villain.)

• Love 4

I always felt that Susan Clark had the perfect plan. She removed the front door key from her brother's key chain, replaced the porch bulb with a burnt out one, expected him to come to her patio door, where the alarm would go off when he opened it, shoot him, replace the key, break the door (from the outside), throw the keys into the front bushes, then claim to the police that she was groggy from a sleeping pill, heard the door break and alarm go off, so shot what she thought was an intruder. The keys in the bushes was to be explained as "he dropped his keys, couldn't find them in the dark, so went around back to get in the house". I thought she would have gotten away with it! If only she had known about the spare key (which he used to get in)!!!!

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, illdoc said:

I always felt that Susan Clark had the perfect plan. She removed the front door key from her brother's key chain, replaced the porch bulb with a burnt out one, expected him to come to her patio door, where the alarm would go off when he opened it, shoot him, replace the key, break the door (from the outside), throw the keys into the front bushes, then claim to the police that she was groggy from a sleeping pill, heard the door break and alarm go off, so shot what she thought was an intruder. The keys in the bushes was to be explained as "he dropped his keys, couldn't find them in the dark, so went around back to get in the house". I thought she would have gotten away with it! If only she had known about the spare key (which he used to get in)!!!!

Yeah, but she had no explanation how the late edition of the newspaper got into the foyer if her brother came in through her room and she hadn't been out since the morning and the servants were all off that day. That's how Lt. Columbo nailed her.

Just now, peacheslatour said:

Yeah, but she had no explanation how the late edition of the newspaper got into the foyer if her brother came in through her room and she hadn't been out since the morning and the servants were all off that day. That's how Lt. Columbo nailed her.

But you're talking about how the crime actually went down. I was talking about the crime she planned--the one she was going over in her mind while waiting for her brother to come home. That one would have worked!

• Love 2