Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E12: Marechaussee

True, but they could have had her own a bird and/or an iguana or turtle.

Maybe, but I don't see it.  Juliette seems like someone who would want a pet she could, well, pet.  I've noticed that Juliette often uses stroking or other physical touch even on other people, especially when they're tense or upset.  She did it with Trubel in the season premiere and she did it again with Rosalee when Monroe was kidnapped. 

Consider that lies are told to either gain a reward or avoid a punishment.  Henrietta's statement does neither of those things.  A lie in that situation would be, "Well, there may be something we can do, Juliette, but you'll have to commit yourself to doing exactly what I says at all times and it will probably take some time."  That not what happened.  Instead Henrietta essentially said, "Sorry, Juliette but this is your new normal.  You're going to have to suck it up and learn to control it before you wreak enough havoc to get me burned at the stake along with you."

Well, if the news is that dire, all the more reason to involve your nearest and dearest.  And 2 or 3 heads are better than one, to coin a phrase.  No matter how fab her reputation is per Renard, I still wouldn't be taking everything she says as gospel.  She may not be lying at all, just may not be an outside-the-box thinker.

I had to laugh (sarcastically) when Imhotep died of his own venom. All animals that have venom or any kind of toxic agent are immune to their own agent. Of course. Otherwise what happens if a cobra bites its own tongue? :-) Seriously, makes no sense at all.

I think that the Marechaussee died from being stabbed in the chest, and possibly in his heart (it looked really close to the heart; I would have to go and look again at the scene to know for sure) and not from his own venom (if he had any, since he also stabbed all of his victims near or in their hearts). 

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Love 1

This ep was mostly okay, and I did like the little touch of the wesen using their woge ability to scam people. But am I confused or did a whole night/day/night cycle elapse between the killing of the pimpwesen and our cop heroes arriving to deal with it?

On the one hand, I'm a bit irritated that Juliette is going straight from mortal to most powerful hexenbiest ever, but I can't be too irritated about that because I feel this is the first time she hasn't been boring. Still doesn't make a lick of sense that she's keeping it secret, though. And I'm not sure I buy the character's reaction. "I suddenly have the ability to incinerate the cars of people who irritate me? I must be rid of this curse!" I mean, scary face aside, how cool would that be?

As others have asked, there is absolutely no way to de-hexenbiest Juliette, including Grimmy blood? I supposed the fact that she became one by unusual means might account for that, though. Nick's blood was already involved in that chain of events.

And I do not get prince NotWesley's plan. "Last time we were here for the baby, direct action failed. So this time, we're just going to hang around until you give in."

I think Renard sent a resistance agent to find the baby rather than a cop, but I could be wrong.

Lastly, I *SO* wanted Juliette to say to the pepper grinder, "I find your lack of faith disturbing."

Decent episode, but man the police procedural plot holes were HUGE this week.

I mean, Renard flipping through the pictures of the tablet and pondering their evidence so far of:

• pictures of previous victims with bounties described
  • photos taken at the crime scene from before the police arrived
  • his finger prints on a phone found at the scene
  • circumstantial evidence linking him to similar unsolved murders in other parts of the country

and he basically says "Well, don't think we can get a conviction of just this flimsy evidence..."?!?  Wha- REALLY?  You really think that's not enough to hold a guy, without invoking Wesen details?!?!  I'm sure I'm forgetting a few other details that would have been pure gravy for even a barely competent D.A to get a slam-dunk conviction.  Manticore or not, that dude would never have seen the free light of day had he not escaped.

And on top of that, while in custody he kills a cop and escapes- yet we don't have the entire police force in a frenzy looking for him.  Everyone was so chill about the cop being killed by a suspected multiple-murderer they had in custody who has now escaped!  And then Nick gets a call from Juliet with the guy grabbing the phone, and of course tells no one so she can have her bad-ass scene.  I expected a fleet of squad cars showing up at the house with Nick (and yes to the "how many unexplained homicides can one cop be involved with without arousing suspicion?!").

Edit: oh, and Ghost of TWOP Past reminded me of another: when Renard is giving details to his guy on tracking down Kelly, he pointed out to look for a specific make and model truck registered to Juliette.  I mean, by now Kelly and the baby might be holed up in some shack in the middle of nowhere by now, but how did the Royals miss noticing that Juliette's truck was apparently gone when the baby disappeared?  These morons want to rule the world?

All in all, it's just... so very sloppy, and it makes me unhappy.  This is a cheesy show, and I don't mind that- hell, I'm unabashedly and gleefully looking forward to #BIESTFIGHT next week- but it's when the police details and the dialogue are tight that the cheap CGI monster-y stuff doesn't seem so goofy.  When they drop the ball on grounding it with good writing and plot, it loses a lot.

The other thing is... I'm now convinced Juliet is pregnant, or at least the writers have left an opening:

• Juliet and Nick have had sex recently; the sex with he and Adalind as well as he and Juliette were important enough to be confirmed on-screen.
  • When Adalind was pregnant with her hybrid half-Royal, half-hexenbiest baby, she gained enhanced powers as a result
  • Juliet has been turned into a Hexenbiest, and is supposed to be more powerful than normal... but she's unusually powerful, to the point supposed Hexenbiest expert Henrietta is shocked and stunned
  • Following the Adalind rule, if Juliet were pregnant with a baby by a Grimm (and thus half-Grimm, half-hexenbiest now), wouldn't it- and she- be super powerful too? 

Someone else mentioned here or in another thread that obviously such a combination- hexenbiest/Grimm, much less manufactured human/hexenbiest/Grimm- would be unheard of in the past, as Nick is one of the only Grimms who isn't a murdering machine towards Wesen.  Well, unless you're part of the Wesen Council, or its sanctioned offshoots like the Wesenrein... but honestly, these idiots should just leave Portland alone if they don't want dead Wesen bounty hunters and racists shipped back to Europe every few weeks. :)

Anyway, I think the clues are there that Juliette's exceptional powers are partly from having a newly formed Grimmenbiest fetus in her uterus.  And if she's pregnant this would also tie into my (self-promotion, sorry!) own fanwank theory about Grimms, Wesen, Royals, and Hexenbiests, explaining why Juliette and possibly her unborn child would be super powerful, why the same happened to Adalind and her child, and why the keys/Royals start to come into play for an endgame about preventing evil people from ruling the world.

Edited by hincandenza
  • Love 2

Okay, I'm kind of glad that Nick and Juliette don't have a pet--I love animals and, let's face it, no dog or cat is going to survive half the crap that goes on in that house.  I don't really need to deal with dying animals on top of everything else.

Or worse.... The gang comes back from the wedding debacle to find Fido wagging his tail & proudly holding Weston Steward's head...

• Love 2

The other thing is... I'm now convinced Juliet is pregnant, or at least the writers have left an opening:

From what I saw, the writers shut that opening pretty decisively during Episode 8, "Chupacabra."  Juliette took several pregnancy tests and they were all negative.  Ultimately she woged at the end of the episode, revealing the mystery symptoms were her becoming a hexenbiest.  She and Nick haven't had sex since Juliette woged, so figure no pregnancy.

• Love 1

My nitpick is that Imhotep is named as a Marechaussee, and a Marechaussee is said to care only about money. Basically they are mercenary.

My thought was "And he left $1500 just laying there? Not a very good mercenary!"

As much as I'm liking Wu right now, my sense that Hank's days may be numbered is growing. Really, what is Hank's purpose in the Grimmerverse right now? Anything he can do, Wu does better....

Hank is The Cool Guy. He handles being a "Kehrseite-Schlich-Kennen" with aplomb and dash. I think his days are fine.

• Love 3

It's not really Juliette's truck.  They were looking for a non-descript, used truck to Mama Grimm to use as a getaway car.  It's registered to Juliette, but it never was her vehicle, so the Royals and/or whomever aren't really missing a big clue.  It's not like real estate, where you can usually look up the owner on an online database. Nobody else knows they bought the truck on the sly.

• Love 1
From what I saw, the writers shut that opening pretty decisively during Episode 8, "Chupacabra." Juliette took several pregnancy tests and they were all negative. Ultimately she woged at the end of the episode, revealing the mystery symptoms were her becoming a hexenbiest. She and Nick haven't had sex since Juliette woged, so figure no pregnancy.

We don't actually know that. I mean, we don't see every minute of anyone's life on this show. If you are going on how many times the show has shown or acknowledged hanky panky, we have the switcheroo sex involving Adalind, when they got back together at the end of Season 2, and a bit of innuendo in season 1 and that's it--I think we all can agree that this couple is a little more hot and heavy than that.

Personally, I don't think Juliette is pregnant but, if we go down that bunny trail, I'll admit that it is logistically possible. There was a period of indeterminate time when Juliette was having symptoms but had not woged, during which I'm sure she and Nick were intimate. So, mathematically possible, but I still think that is a cliff too far, even for the current crop of writers.

And, remember that Adalind did NOT have powers while she was pregnant--although it was clear the hexenfetus did. It wasn't until she gave birth that she was once again a Hexenbiest (and it doesn't look like she's anymore powerful as a hexenbiest than she was before Nick de-Hexed her).

However, I still cry BS with Henrietta's "this is who you are now" crap. This show likes the Damsel in distress too much to keep that up.

Edited by SilverStormm
Added quote box for you :)

- Hmm, Renard seems to have gotten over his mysterious stigmata pretty quickly. The last episode ended with that in such a climactic way and then it isn't even mentioned this week?

Hey, I totally forgot about that! Apparently the writers did too.

Realistically, yes, Juliette should have a pet.

Why, because she's a vet? Not all vets have pets of their own. In fact it's the opposite of what you'd think. They spend all day taking care of sick animals or putting them down and it's all very emotionally draining. A lot of them tend not to have pets of their own for that very reason.

I've been thinking and Juliette ought to have told Henrietta "His best friend is a blutbad -- he's not the kind of Grimm you're used to'"  Also, why not send Nick a picture via Messenger, preferably to the rest of the crowd at the same time. That way he has time to process it before he can chop her head off (which, if I recall, he never did with Adalind anyway...)

• Love 2

There's a lot of calm, rational constructive ways that Juliette could use to handle this, but she's just not in that headspace right now.  She was really, really hoping that Henrietta would tell how she could be cured.  Then she could tell Nick what happened and what could be done to fix it together.

Now she gets stuck with "yeah, that skull-exploding nightmare in the mirror?  That's you.  Forever."  She was calling Nick to tell him and then got cut off and interrupted by attempted manticore murder. 

For that matter, it's possible that she tells Nick at the top of next week's episode.  Nick sometimes suffers from "foot down throat" disease and I can easily see him following up his "one less hexenbiest" comment in the preview with "Oh, God, not you, honey."

• Love 4

Now that they seem to have decided that Juliettexenbeast will be here to stay, I hope they use this as an opportunity to split up Nick and Juliette as I think she has better romantic chemistry with Renard. Putting those two together would also bring some of the gray back into Renard and Nick's relationship. With Wu now in the know, everybody is too buddy-buddy.

I like Renard's Hexenbeast friend. She might make an interesting recurring character. She could serve to help Juliette come into her own.

Edited by Happytobehere
  • Love 1

I used to watch a show named Grimm. Maybe you've heard of it. The show starred a guy who is a Grimm. He took down evil monsters. He had a supportive girlfriend waiting at home and a best friend named Monroe who used to help him with the monsters. There was a nice blend of humor and scary stuff, and the villains were formidable. It didn't recycle the same story over and over with different characters. Did I mention the part where the GRIMM was the bad-ass of the show? You know, with it being named after him? And not his 98 pound girlfriend? 

If anybody has seen my show, please let me know. I've posted on some lamp posts in the Portland area, in case anybody sees it. 

I miss the show too. While I'm still watching this season I don't find myself being all that excited about a new episode. I'm still watching it hoping it'll get better. This is the first season that I have zero interest in rewatching a single episode. I'm hoping that now that they have a next season they write whatever episodes they have left better.

This episode I feel like there was nothing memorable about it, other then being really annoyed that Juliette still hasn't talked to Nick.

Edited by blueray
  • Love 1

I had to laugh (sarcastically) when Imhotep died of his own venom. All animals that have venom or any kind of toxic agent are immune to their own agent. Of course. Otherwise what happens if a cobra bites its own tongue? :-) Seriously, makes no sense at all.

My nitpick is that Imhotep is named as a Marechaussee, and a Marechaussee is said to care only about money. Basically they are mercenary. Worse yet, the wesen that sent a "Marechaussee" is based in the Netherlands. In real life, Koninklijke Marechaussee of the Netherlands is a gendarmerie force with long and proud history.

Having said that, I like the last conversation of those two at the Wesen Council that they may have opened a front with the Grimm...

I assumed he died from being punctured in the heart, not the venom. Actually, I assumed all of the victims died of the heart puncture. Maybe the venom helped it along, but I don't think it was the primary cause of death.

Well, if the news is that dire, all the more reason to involve your nearest and dearest.  And 2 or 3 heads are better than one, to coin a phrase.  No matter how fab her reputation is per Renard, I still wouldn't be taking everything she says as gospel.  She may not be lying at all, just may not be an outside-the-box thinker.

I think that's exactly what her plan was though. Once she found out it was irreversible, she told Nick that they needed to talk. Unfortunately, and assassin walked in on her.

I loved the pepper grinder scene. It was funny and showed she's trying to figure it out.

Edited by lynny
  • Love 2

I loved the last scene with Juliette and the way Bitsie conveyed the mix of emotions within her.  You could see Juliette's anger at her situation mixed with resignation that she's stuck with being a hexenbiest mixed with recognition that she can't rely on Nick to protect her mixed with confidence that she may well be able to protect herself and the people she loves.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 3

With all the danger that happens at that house I don't think adding a pet to it makes any sense. I'd be worried all the time. "OMG what about the dog?"

Or worse the show forgets they have a pet and barely show and I'm always wondering who's taking care of it. Like the dog on The Blacklist.

• Love 1

I'm no fan of Juliette, but I actually liked her hexenbeist powers in this episode. I think it adds an interesting mix - a Grimm who has been friends with wesen, but now he's sleeping (presumably at some point it will be more than just....sleeping) with the enemy.

I hope they don't go with a pregnancy. But hey, you could have a playgroup of magical Diana, a Nick and Juliette hexengrimmy, and a Monroe and Rosalee blut/fuchsbaby. What a play group that would be! 

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 3

I'm no fan of Juliette, but I actually liked her hexenbeist powers in this episode. I think it adds an interesting mix - a Grimm who has been friends with wesen, but now he's sleeping (presumably at some point it will be more than just....sleeping) with the enemy.

I hope they don't go with a pregnancy. But hey, you could have a playgroup of magical Diana, a Nick and Juliette hexengrimmy, and a Monroe and Rosalee blut/fuchsbaby. What a play group that would be! 

Maybe it'll turn out that Adalind is somehow pregnant with Nick's baby.  Then Nick gets Juliette pregnant.  And then, we get the best (and likely last) episode of Maury Povich ever.

• Love 3

I should know this, but isn't Renard's mother a hexenbeist?  I don't think we have any evidence at all that Nick's on auto-kill when it comes to hexenbeists.

I think Juliette should be all kinds of okay about her new beist status, especially NOW.  If a woman escaped assault because she happened to be wearing a big rape whistle around her neck, I would expect her to never leave the house again without that whistle.  Grimm-adjacent is a really dangerous place to be in Portland.

What if she'd  only turned into one of those parakeets???

I should know this, but isn't Renard's mother a hexenbeist?  I don't think we have any evidence at all that Nick's on auto-kill when it comes to hexenbeists.

I think Juliette should be all kinds of okay about her new beist status, especially NOW.  If a woman escaped assault because she happened to be wearing a big rape whistle around her neck, I would expect her to never leave the house again without that whistle.  Grimm-adjacent is a really dangerous place to be in Portland.

What if she'd  only turned into one of those parakeets???

Then Juliette would've woged into the parakeet, pecked the asshole's eyes out, gotten her gun and shot the fucker until he died.

Other than being connected to Adalind, is there really anything bad about being a Hexenbeast? Pretty sure if she explained things to Nick, things would work out just fine. They've been looking for a purpose for Juliet for ages, sometimes succeeding, and sometimes not, and this would at least give her more to do.

I really love all the supporting characters, but I really wish there were more Nick focused episodes.