Type keyword(s) to search

Fortitude - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I liked the first double-episode. Not overly invested in the murder mystery yet, but the setting is great for a drama regardless.

That pig freaked me out.

Given that Pivot is a basic-cable channel, are they blurring the nudity? Or shooting alternate versions of the scenes like the From Dusk Till Dawn series from last year?

Re the governor's husband and the bear trap -- didn't the Russian with the handgun say something to his friend about "I took care of him". I assume he was Russian, by the accent.

Until the Russian has a name, I'm gonna think of him as Choo Choo from Justified. He has that look, and he doesn't seem all that bright.

I liked the first hour well enough to go to Amazon and plunk down $24.99 for the season. The show comes up on my On Demand schedule (DirecTV) and Pivot as channel 267, but there's no channel 267 on the guide, so I don't trust it to be there.

I liked the first hour well enough to go to Amazon and plunk down $24.99 for the season. The show comes up on my On Demand schedule (DirecTV) and Pivot as channel 267, but there's no channel 267 on the guide, so I don't trust it to be there.

I think the Amazon gets you the uncensored version of the show too. The first episode is free on iTunes, and it's uncensored there.

I thought the first hour was kind of slow.  And setting up all the characters was confusing.  After the first hour I thought I would probably skip this show in the future.  I wanted a murder mystery not a soap opera who's sleeping with who.  And when Christopher Eccleston was killed in the very first episode I was sure I was going to tune it out.  But then we had episode two and Stanley Tucci showed up!  Everything changed.  The guy sure does have a screen presence.  So I'm in for probably all of it.  Especially now that I read Sarah's recap and C. E. is still in the credits, although most likely in flashbacks.  The arctic landscape is beautiful and desolate.  Great atmosphere.

• Love 1

Not quite sure how I feel about this yet. Do not know all the characters enough yet, mystery still confusing at this point.

I second what everyone else had said wherever they shot this at is absolutely breathtaking. The scenery almost takes away from the story, I was so focused on it. But I love Stanley Tucci so I will give it a chance.

I think the Amazon gets you the uncensored version of the show too. The first episode is free on iTunes, and it's uncensored there.

Damn, I don't get the channel on my cable(hundreds of channels but no Pivot!)  but I will check it out on iTunes. Maybe it will reach Netflix one day hopefully. Or Amazon Prime so I can watch free!!

Wow, the Doctor, a dinosaur, a murder, adultery and a polar bear.

You would think this would be compelling.  No.

I have no idea what I just watched.  Couldn't tell you a single person's name.

And that scenery was bleak and cold.  Who would want to live there?

Plus, I didn't understand a single word that was said.  

I felt like I missed an episode to set up all of these characters and situations.

I guess I understand the title.  It takes fortitude to watch this.

I liked it for the noir and the cold and the gorgeous landscape.  It seems a little more muddled than it should be, even considering that it's a mystery and the characters' natures and motivations will only gradually be revealed AND that a lot of that will be red herrings.  I am signed on for the duration, however.

The sheriff really irritates me.  I think it's his accent, since I'm pretty sure the actor is English and he's putting on some kind of Scandinavian accent.  But the thing that bothered me the most last night happened when Ciaran made run for it on the boat with his young daughter.  I yelled at the tv a couple of times for him not to let her stand by the railing while he headed into the arctic sea.  Make her stay in the cabin/cockpit with you!!  Warmer and much safer!!

• Love 1

I'm going to have to binge-watch this entire season once the first run is complete..with the week long breaks between episodes I'm having a hard time keeping track of all these people bundled up in snow gear and all their back stories. With the exception of Tucci and Eccleston, of course.

So, is that really a mastodon the sketchy guys have in storage, and is that some weird bacteria bubbling on it? Did someone mention that a potential petroleum deposit may have been found? What did Liam's father do to get his shirt all bloody after he boinked the Arctic Pixie Dream Girl and while Liam was wandering around outdoors getting frostbitten feet?

• Love 1

I'm also having trouble keeping everyone straight.  And I didn't get where the blood on the shirt came from either.  When he came back from his "meeting" with the pixie haired girl, he suddenly had blood on his shirt.  Did we see where it came from?

Right now I'm only watching for Stanley Tucci.

• Love 2

The science teacher played by Darren Boyd and his curly haired girlfriend (can't remember the character name or actress name but recognise her from the great, short whodunnit series What Remains) are giving me the creeps. They are so in on it. Or maybe not it it but they're in on something alright.

I'm having trouble following the plot/characters too but I kinda don't care? Not yet anyway. I'm just going with the flow and enjoy it thanks to the setting.

What was in the jars at the lab? I couldn't understand the convo.

Lost right there with you. Guess I need Cliff notes to understand this show. Once again the scenery and cinematography are the stars of this show. So beautiful. The only other bright spot for Stanley Tucci.

• Love 1

I second the rec on using the CC -- I watch at work (shh!  don't tell anyone!) and keep the volume low.  The captioning definitely is helping.  And ew... teacher was giving me the creeps.  Now I know why (such a shame, as I love the actress playing Shirley (just saw Pride) and was hoping she really would turn out to be the one everyone in town liked).

Oh my gosh, that guy is creepy.  And the plot finally moved along.  So Liam somehow went (or was taken) outside and ended up where Stoddard was killed, then somehow came back and ended up on the floor where Frank found him?  And that's how the blood got on his shirt?   Sort of farfetched, but ok.  And Elena had a relationship with Pettigrew, who they kept saying was killed by a bear, but Dan said he killed him.  Do I have that right, so far.  

What is with the guy in the tent in the middle of nowhere?  I fear for the girl.

Can't get enough Stanley Tucci.  He is just outstanding!   

I'm now obsessed.  The forums over at AV Club clued me in on lots of things I'd missed (all the rabbit references--are they clues to something bigger?) and I've now rewatched eps. 1-5.  While there's still a whiff of Dharma initiative to the mysteries, I can't wait to see where this goes...

I'm now obsessed.  The forums over at AV Club clued me in on lots of things I'd missed (all the rabbit references--are they clues to something bigger?) and I've now rewatched eps. 1-5.  While there's still a whiff of Dharma initiative to the mysteries, I can't wait to see where this goes...

Oh gosh, I wish you'd elaborate on this.  I just remember that girl camped in the middle of nowhere used to have a rabbit, but she doesn't any more.

Yikes. And what is with the festering masterdon tusk they keep showing us? It took several looks to realize what that even was. Quirky show with a capitol Quirky, but Heaven help me, I am hooked! I think I'll do a rewatch, too. What did I do before On Demand?

I don't have Pivot on demand but I see they are repeating all the episodes tonight after 2am my time.  I'm going to DVR them all and rewatch.  I think I missed a lot before the characters started to become familiar to me.

In re the rabbits:  Carrie's pet rabbit.  Professor Stoddard was watching 'Harvey'.  And when Petra and the Sherriff went to Jason's house, his daughter was watching a cartoon that featured a rabbit. 

At this point, I think Petra and Ingrid are the only normals in town -- I think they're both adorable.  So naturally, they'll be the ones who turn out to be vampires or something!  ;-)

• Love 1
And Elena had a relationship with Pettigrew, who they kept saying was killed by a bear, but Dan said he killed him

Well, Pettigrew was certainly being eaten by a bear before Dumbledore shot him (which was a piece of mercy, if accidental) but Dan was certainly there, and he was already at Stoddard's house when that guy found him dead.  No way Sheriff Dan's not dirty.  

Watching Stan Tucci and Dan slowly circling each other has been riveting.  I would, however, like a bit of explanation about what's going on - feels like I'm juggling too many balls to keep track.

• Love 2

Dan is really a mystery.  Dan could have shot Pettigrew, then the bear went at him, then Michael Gambon tried to shoot the bear but shot Pettigrew.  What doesn't make sense to me, though, is if Dan shot Pettigrew, why wasn't he dead before the bear started eating him.  And Dan was in Stoddarts house before Vincent broke through the glass, but I somehow can't see him attacking Stoddart with all those weird weapons (a potato peeler?).  And why did he shoot the dog? 

I hope this is going to start making sense soon.  I re-watched the first four episodes and I'm still confused, although I can tell the characters apart, now.  A major step forward.  I have no idea what that (pseudo) Russian guy has to do with this.  He stole the GPR document that Stanley Tucci found in Stoddarts office (with Pettigrew's name on it).  Is that the real reason Stoddart was killed.  Or even Pettigrew.  I agree Stanley Tucci is riveting.

I thought there were only 8 episodes, but I read there are actually 12 episodes.  If that's so, we have a lot of suspects to go through yet.