Type keyword(s) to search

She's Superman's Cousin!: And Other Supergirl Spoilers

• Start Topic

The Man with the Kryptonite Heart. I'm not sure of the multiple versions of his history, but I think most Superman ( and -girl) fans would call him a serious A-list villain, up there with Luthor and Brainiac. That's why it's so damn exciting that the two of them are going to be fighting him together!

I've heard of this villain, but I'm not really familiar: Supergirl Adds Frederick Schmidt as Metallo!

He starred on Smallville, Metallo that is.

But everything they say about Snapper Carr makes it sound like we just hit the reset button and are back to square one in Kara's working life, just with a different person in the boss role. I wish they had given her a boss that's not just a less interesting version of Cat. (And yes--Cat had a tendency to tear Kara down as well

I dont think we will see much of Snapper Carr, Kara has a different job that doesnt require her to be with her boss most of the time. She should be more independent this season at least I hope so.

And I disagree with a poster who said Calista's contract is not a natural change. I believe we were always going to see less of Cat since Kara got promoted, season 2 or next, it was eventually going to happen. Superheroes always outgrow their mentors otherwise they are not growing at all.

Edited by WildcardC
14 hours ago, WildcardC said:

And I disagree with a poster who said Calista's contract is not a natural change. I believe we were always going to see less of Cat since Kara got promoted, season 2 or next, it was eventually going to happen. Superheroes always outgrow their mentors otherwise they are not growing at all.

Both of Barry's mentors, Joe and that season's version of Wells, still had prominent roles on Flash in season two. It helped, of course, that fans liked both characters.  Oliver's mentor Diggle has generally had the second/third most screentime on Arrow for four seasons now. Phil Coulson on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., essentially a mentor to all of the other characters except for Melinda May, kept the same screentime for three seasons.  

Meanwhile, on Supergirl, there's been no suggestion of reducing the role of Kara's other mentor, Martian Manhunter.

• Love 3

Question: Can we get any scoop on Supergirl‘s version of Maggie Sawyer? I can’t wait to see Floriana Lima in the role. — Chelsea

Ausiello: In short, Maggie “is an ally,” says showrunner Andrew Kreisberg. As a detective with the Science Police — aka the division of the NCPD that deals with “anything that’s out of the ordinary” — “We’ll be bumping into Maggie a lot, and questions of jurisdiction will be coming up,” he adds. “Maggie is a strong proponent for alien rights, which is going to be [a theme].” (Alas, when we tried to bait Kreisberg with the notion that Maggie and Alex will at first lock horns only to later share sparks of a different kind, he… indicated nothing.)

‘Nashville’ Season 5: Connie Britton Leaving — Will Rayna Die? | TVLine

• Love 1

Both of Barry's mentors, Joe and that season's version of Wells, still had prominent roles on Flash in season two. Oliver's mentor Diggle has generally had the second/third most screentime on Arrow for four seasons now. Phil Coulson on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., essentially a mentor to all of the other characters except for Melinda May, kept the same screentime for three seasons.  

Fair enough on that, but Barry hasnt changed careers just after a season like Kara has, makes sense why his relationship with Joe isnt changed (much, so far). Also Joe fills the parent/family role for Barry, Cat doesn't.  As for Wells I'm not enthused about that character, he is one example of keeping a character too long just to keep the actor in the series. Regardless, I have no doubt they will eventually run out of reasons to force feed him in the show.

As for  Diggle  he is definitely not second anymore, hasn't been since season 1, he has a loose grip on a  distant 3rd. Since then his role has continued to depreciate with addition of new faces each season and now season 5 is adding a dozen of them. Good luck to him. AoS is a "true" ensemble show, despite that Coulson is like the lead character.

Meanwhile, on Supergirl, there's been no suggestion of reducing the role of Kara's other mentor, Martian Manhunter.

So far.

And its Martian Manhunter, a superhero alien in his own right. We saw him become Supergirl's first and official partner/sidekick in the field towards season end, he was never meant to be just a mentor, and he has potential to come outside SG's wings and become something even greater IMO. You dont cast a character of MM's calibre just for pep talks. Mentor likely was just an introductory role not his primary or final role in the series.  Thats how I see it, anyhow. 

Maggie is a strong proponent for alien rights, which is going to be [a theme].”

Interesting. 

Edited by WildcardC
4 hours ago, WildcardC said:

You dont cast a character of MM's calibre just for pep talks. 

And you don't cast an actress of Calista Flockhart's calibre just for pep talks, either.

There was no hint of reducing her role until the move to the CW was announced. Her screentime/role actually increased as season one continued.

• Love 3

Fair enough, seemed to me she could just have been important in that first season not necessarily for whole series.

Either way, it worked out well for me, I feel Cat works better in small does. So Im glad she is still around but in a reduced role.

1 hour ago, quarks said:

And you don't cast an actress of Calista Flockhart's calibre just for pep talks, either.

There was no hint of reducing her role until the move to the CW was announced. Her screentime/role actually increased as season one continued.

I'd be interested in the timeline between the end of production for S1 and California's denial of the tax credit.  That was what really pushed them to Vancouver and caused the loss of Calista as a regular. 

On 8/31/2016 at 11:32 AM, quarks said:

Both of Barry's mentors, Joe and that season's version of Wells, still had prominent roles on Flash in season two. It helped, of course, that fans liked both characters.  Oliver's mentor Diggle has generally had the second/third most screentime on Arrow for four seasons now. Phil Coulson on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., essentially a mentor to all of the other characters except for Melinda May, kept the same screentime for three seasons.  

I disagree that Diggle is Oliver's mentor, they're presented as friends and equals, Dig sometimes has to talk sense into Oliver but so does Felicity, Laurel, and Thea.

Arrow, via its heavy use of flashbacks to Oliver's 5 missing years, has shown a constant story of Oliver either outliving or having to outgrow his mentors and leave them behind. Yao Fei and Shado died, Slade became his enemy, and Maseo lost his way when his son died. Then you have the toxic mentors (Waller and Ra's) who tried to lead Oliver down darker paths.

• Love 1

E!Online had this nugget:

What to Expect: Supergirl's on the move! Just networks, not timeslots. Season 2 of Supergirl will air on The CW and in addition to the returning series regular cast (Calista Flockhart will recur) is Teen Wolf's Tyler Hoechlin as Superman, Sharon Leal as Miss Martian, Lynda Carter as the president and Chris Wood as Mon-El. And there will be crossovers. In addition to a massive one likely featuring all of The CW's DC Comics shows, there is going to be a musical crossover with The Flash. Plus, there's going to be a new hangout. Be on the lookout for a new dive bar where aliens gather, a safe haven. It's where J'onn J'onzz will meet Miss Martian for the first time.

Spoilers from TVLine, but most of this isn't new:

The sinister Project Cadmus, teased in Season 1, targets the Kryptonian cousins, triggering “a chain of events that forces Supergirl and Superman (Teen Wolf's Tyler Hoechlin) to team up,” says showrunner Andrew Kreisberg. In doing so, “They get to spend some time in each other's lives, which they haven't previously gotten to do,” as Kal-El schools his kin on how to “integrate both parts of her life into one.” On top of that, there’s the matter of the crash-landed space pod’s passenger, Mon-El of Daxam, who is poised to be both friend and foe. Meanwhile at the office, Kara’s supervisor, Snapper Carr, “is going to make Cat look warm and fuzzy,” while other new faces include Lena Luthor (who in the wake of brother Lex’s incarceration “is trying to change the face of her company,” starting with a rebranding as LCorp), NCPD cop Maggie Sawyer (who will have jurisdictional clashes with the DEO’s Alex) and Miss Martian (in a “great story for J’onn” aka Hank).

BONUS SPOILER!: Kara’s isn't the only job change at CatCo. “Winn is actually going to get fired,” says Kreisberg, “and go work for the DEO, which will be really exciting.”

Hmm interesting. I definitely don't think Winn worked well at CatCo, but I didn't really like him at the DEO either. I think I'd rather him off the show entirely. I don't hate him, but he kind of feels like a waste of time.

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, secnarf said:

Hmm interesting. I definitely don't think Winn worked well at CatCo, but I didn't really like him at the DEO either. I think I'd rather him off the show entirely. I don't hate him, but he kind of feels like a waste of time.

Yeah, that's where I am with Winn. It's nothing against Jeremy Jordan (who I actually think is a better actor than Mehcad Brooks), but I just feel like Winn is pointless. You could remove him entirely and zero about the show would change. It seems clear that the writers know he didn't really work in S1--Kreisberg admitted as much in some recent article--and are trying hard to find a spot for him on the show, throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks, but I'm like, guys, just know when you should cut bait--especially as there are a number of new characters coming who are all going to need screentime.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, MarkHB said:

I think Winn is the nerd entry-point into the show, like Cisco to an extent, so that and the "we need a hacker lying around" angle mean I don't think they'll drop him.

Besides, it's a trope of the genre, and a staple of Berlanti's shows. I don't see that changing any time soon.

• Love 1

I could easily do without Winn on this show. I'd rather have Vasquez do the hacking and computer work for the DEO. 

"Mon-El is poised to be both friend and foe" huh??!? I guess he's just being written to be complex, and not really an actual foe? 

• Love 1

Eh, he'll probably turn out to be a potential LI eventually. The CW does know the power of shipping, and they have to realize Jimmy/Kara doesn't bring in the audience. Some have theorized that he's a kinda-sorta relative of Kara's in the comics, but if they're making an LI out of Miss Martian, they'll easily do the same with Mon-El (who wasn't even blood related to her).

22 hours ago, Kendra said:

"Mon-El is poised to be both friend and foe" huh??!? I guess he's just being written to be complex, and not really an actual foe? 

That's actually a callback to when Supergirl herself was first introduced in the comics way back in 1959.  The cover of the first comic in which she appeared asked the question "But is she friend or foe?"

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

That's actually a callback to when Supergirl herself was first introduced in the comics way back in 1959.  The cover of the first comic in which she appeared asked the question "But is she friend or foe?"

Oh I didn't know that. Thanks!

It appears they are going to play up the mystery behind who he really is. This article released today from EW has a quote from Kreisberg stating "but can he be trusted? Can anyone be trusted?" Unless they are REALLY changing things up regarding Mon-El, then we should know the answer to that. 

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/09/09/supergirl-season-2-spoilers

There is some new information regarding a few more of the new characters as well. 

• Love 1

Still waiting for the season 2 trailer!

Still waiting for 2x01 promotional photos!

Other DCWTV superhero shows got them ages ago, I hope this is not how the show will be treated once the season starts.

The CW does know the power of shipping, and they have to realize Jimmy/Kara doesn't bring in the audience.

Says who? Of course some of the audience will always be ready to jump on the Kara + any white guy train, its no secret that IR ships are going to be met with some resistance by the predominately White American audience. But there is an audience that accept Kara/Jimmy as well, Karolsen fans exists, go to Tumbrl/Twitter if you dont believe me. So there is no need for the show to pander to those who dislike the ship, no need to pander to anyone at all except continue to tell the story they want to tell and they feel is best for the show. Going into Season 2 that story is Kara/James. Of course I do expect a love triangle but I dont believe they are giving up on Kara/James "because they think they failed" or giving up at all. Most ships especially on the CW will go through that at some point. 

Edited by DCLeague
  • Love 3

I'm guessing we'll get 2 with Cat at the season's start, 1-2 around the midseason finale, and then 2-3 at the end of the season (she'll be in the finale for sure).

Man, everyone involved with this show is like "CW is so much better than CBS"--we'll see if that's accurate!

Of course some of the audience will always be ready to jump on the Kara + any white guy train, its no secret that IR ships are going to be met with some resistance by the predominately White American audience.

Oh yeah, by all means, play the race card. Jeez. I'm not American by any means and I don't really have any prejustices - I just realize that Jimmy is a boring character and any chemistry they had in the beginning is long since gone.

There probably are fans, but it's no secret CW always wants something like Olicity or Delena, etc. And it's quite clear by now that the so-called Karolsen doesn't have that kind of power.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 1

Oh yeah, by all means, play the race card. Jeez. I'm not American by any means and I don't really have any prejustices - I just realize that Jimmy is a boring character and any chemistry they had in the beginning is long since gone. 

It was a general statement about the US audience not aimed at you personally, so dont take it personally. Race is factor that just a fact, we dont live in a post racial world. By no means I'm I saying people cant dislike the ship for other reasons but I wont pretend that race doesn't play a part with some people.  I was also just disagreeing with you there that there is no audience for Kara/James because thats an insult to me and plenty of other people I know like this ship. 

There probably are fans, but it's no secret CW always wants something like Olicity or Delena, etc. And it's quite clear by now that the so-called Karolsen doesn't have that kind of power.

Its a first year ship, you dont get that kind of power in one year. There are plenty of factors to consider here, Supegirl was on CBS, a channel that doesnt have much of a shipping culture, CW does. So why not give this ship a chance to see how it does on the CW, a channel that has plenty of shippers and possibly a more accepting younger, diverse audience that will accept a IR ship more? Its also an IR ship, I dont think its fair to expect IR ships to be as popular as those white ships, the reality is USA is a mostly a white Nation. Its not necessarily a racist thing but that people are attracted to people who are like them, lifestyles and cultures they can relate to. My last point is that CW doesnt necessarily need those massively popular ships, both Delena, Olicity have some responsibility for the decline of  their shows,  so it can have a toxic effect when a ship becomes the main focus of its show just because its popular. JMO. 

Edited by DCLeague

Hmm... Looks like the DEO set got redesigned after the move to Vancouver; Catco still looks basically the same.

Glad for the photos, but there aren't any of the new regulars. Hmm...

Edited by Trini
Ooops
35 minutes ago, Trini said:

Hmm... Looks like the DEO set got redesigned after the move to Vancouver; Catco still looks basically the same.

Glad for the photos, but there aren't any of the new regulars. Hmm...

They do have the excuse that the DEO got a bit chewed up by baddies last season, right?

I mean Catco did too, but not as much.

Given that we actually HAVE gotten spoilage here that clearly indicates Clark Kent interacts with people AT Catco (although it's not clear if he gets face to face with Cat herself), I wonder how they play all of that. In the comics Cat is only marginally older than Clark. In the supposed timeline of this show, that's also the case, although both are allegedly older than we usually see them in the comics (Superman not looking so). Cat has talked about Lois Lane very specifically, but not so much Clark Kent. And does she think Kent is there visiting Jimmy?  Or is it somehow roped into us finding out that Kara Danvers was hired as a relation of Clark Kent?

EDIT - Or maybe I'm jumping the gun here. SOME of those shots from Episode 1 are of LCorp (the former LexCorp). Seems they have the same kind of glass open plan as Catco.  We see Clark Kent and Kara Danvers (vs. Superman and Supergirl) talking to Lena Luthor. We see Clark at some point with Jimmy, and also with Kara. We see Kara with Cat.  It's hard to which offices what happens at (other than that Kara talks to Cat in Cat's usual office). 

Episode 2 seems to head to the question of if Superman actually knew J'onn J'onzz before all of this. We do see an indication that Winn is now working at the DEO.  We see Superman touching J'onn in a manner which could be slightly aggressive (palm to his chest) but it's hard to tell for sure. We see a clear glare-off between the two. I'm wondering if Superman expected J'onn to be even more  protective of Kara than we saw him able to be. Going on the base assumption, I mean, that the two really were previously aquianted.

Edited by Kromm
5 minutes ago, Kromm said:

Given that we actually HAVE gotten spoilage here that clearly indicates Clark Kent interacts with people AT Catco (although it's not clear if he gets face to face with Cat herself), I wonder how they play all of that. In the comics Cat is only marginally older than Clark. In the supposed timeline of this show, that's also the case, although both are allegedly older than we usually see them in the comics (Superman not looking so). Cat has talked about Lois Lane very specifically, but not so much Clark Kent. And does she think Kent is there visiting Jimmy?  Or is it somehow roped into us finding out that Kara Danvers was hired as a relation of Clark Kent?

That was one of my questions last season: What is the relationship/dynamics between Clark/Lois/Cat? I also wonder how serious a couple Clark and Lois (Superman and Lois?) are, and what Cat thinks of that.

4 minutes ago, Trini said:

That was one of my questions last season: What is the relationship/dynamics between Clark/Lois/Cat? I also wonder how serious a couple Clark and Lois (Superman and Lois?) are, and what Cat thinks of that.

See we're expected to see a lot of that. Cat definitely has a previous relationship with Clark Kent (and to a lesser degree Superman). J'onn MIGHT, depending on how they wrote this. 

I got to thinking that maybe Cat knows Kara as a cousin of some kind of the Kent family, except this is so late in Superman's career (in theory, again despite the fact that he looks virtually the same age as Kara) that he should be "out" to Lois (if not married to her). But we've already met Lucy Lane, and Lucy Lane didn't know Kara Danvers from Eve. So if there's some cobbled together link where Kara Danvers is cousin to Clark Kent, then we'd have to accept the notion that Lois and Clark is not very advanced as a relationship.

Again, I'm coming back to the idea that Clark and Kara with Lena Luthor only intersects Catco indirectly.  Clark Kent is at LCorp as a reporter. Kara Danvers, newly minted as a journalist, is also there as a reporter. They're there as competitors to each other, but wind up in front of Lena at the same time. If Clark shows up at Catco for a flying visit (vs. him perhaps running into Jimmy Olsen somewhere at LCorp if Jimmy accompanies Kara to photograph Kara's article), then we'd get an exploration of what Cat thinks of him and if she thinks he's linked to Kara. But we may not get that. It's hard to tell. Kara is no longer positioned as Cat's assistant, so if she's on the same floor as Cat when Clark shows up, they'd have to play it off as strangers meeting for the first time (or mutual acquaintances of Jimmy and by extension maybe even Lucy Lane--not that I think we'll be hearing her name again any time soon). 

3 hours ago, Kromm said:

Hmm.  One would hope she doesn't leave big CW imprints every single TIME she leaps.

"Originally, sir, we couldn't identify the suspect, and then we saw the CW pattern. Definitely Supergirl!"

• Love 5

I find it hilarious that the one official photo of Jimmy James and Clark together has James sitting down.  :-D

spg201b_0149b.jpg?w=700

----

5 hours ago, Kromm said:

Episode 2 seems to head to the question of if Superman actually knew J'onn J'onzz before all of this. We do see an indication that Winn is now working at the DEO.  We see Superman touching J'onn in a manner which could be slightly aggressive (palm to his chest) but it's hard to tell for sure. We see a clear glare-off between the two. I'm wondering if Superman expected J'onn to be even more  protective of Kara than we saw him able to be. Going on the base assumption, I mean, that the two really were previously aquianted.

There was one line last season when J'onn said that Superman thought it was hilarious that he couldn't read kryptonian minds. And I think there was one other reference to Superman knowing about J'onn (not sure if he knows about Henshaw), but I can't remember exactly.

I think it was also mentioned early on that Superman (and I don't think the DEO knows about his identity as Clark Kent) didn't want to work with the DEO and/or didn't like their methods. So I'm really interested in seeing the conflict there, and how it started.

As for Kara and Clark, IF they use the cover that they are cousins, it makes me think that they'd need a paper trail to prove that just in case. (I imagine that something like that was fabricated for Kara when she was adopted by the Danvers.) On the other hand, maybe not; because it also seems highly risky to have that link in the case that one of their secret identities is revealed. It be relatively easy to find out the other secret identity. Especially since Cat Grant revealed that Supergirl and Superman are cousins in her article.

Eh, but I don't really expect the show to go too much into that (maybe they did in the tie-in comics?). I do wonder how much they might retcon the apparently distant relationship between Kara and Kal-El (He never told her about kryptonite?? Never been to the Fortress?).

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Trini said:

I find it hilarious that the one official photo of Jimmy James and Clark together has James sitting down.  :-D

spg201b_0149b.jpg?w=700

----

There was one line last season when J'onn said that Superman thought it was hilarious that he couldn't read kryptonian minds. And I think there was one other reference to Superman knowing about J'onn (not sure if he knows about Henshaw), but I can't remember exactly.

I think it was also mentioned early on that Superman (and I don't think the DEO knows about his identity as Clark Kent) didn't want to work with the DEO and/or didn't like their methods. So I'm really interested in seeing the conflict there, and how it started.

As for Kara and Clark, IF they use the cover that they are cousins, it makes me think that they'd need a paper trail to prove that just in case. (I imagine that something like that was fabricated for Kara when she was adopted by the Danvers.) On the other hand, maybe not; because it also seems highly risky to have that link in the case that one of their secret identities is revealed. It be relatively easy to find out the other secret identity. Especially since Cat Grant revealed that Supergirl and Superman are cousins in her article.

Eh, but I don't really expect the show to go too much into that (maybe they did in the tie-in comics?). I do wonder how much they might retcon the apparently distant relationship between Kara and Kal-El (He never told her about kryptonite?? Never been to the Fortress?).

Kara did tell Jimmy that Clark invited her to the fortress but she always refused because she thought seeing a place so much like Krypton would make her sad (or something similar).

10 hours ago, Trini said:

I think we all know why.  They don't want to remind people that Jimmy James calls him "Big Guy" in a seemingly non-ironic way. 

• Love 1
On September 7, 2016 at 10:21 PM, stealinghome said:

Yeah, that's where I am with Winn. It's nothing against Jeremy Jordan (who I actually think is a better actor than Mehcad Brooks), but I just feel like Winn is pointless. You could remove him entirely and zero about the show would change. It seems clear that the writers know he didn't really work in S1--Kreisberg admitted as much in some recent article--and are trying hard to find a spot for him on the show, throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks, but I'm like, guys, just know when you should cut bait--especially as there are a number of new characters coming who are all going to need screentime.

In fairness to Mehcad Brooks, his character got barely anything of substance to do last season. At least Winn had the stuff with his father. 

1 hour ago, Trini said:

Actually... there hasn't been much news/spoilers about James for Season 2. That's not good. I assume they'll still be moving forward with Kara+James, but other than that...?

I think it was mentioned somewhere that James has a secret this season involving Cadmus. Not 100% certain though. 

• Love 2
20 hours ago, DCLeague said:

ROULETTE!!

SHOOT: SUPERGIRL Night Shoot With Dichen Lachman, Chyler Leigh & Floriana Lima at New Westminster Police Station

supergirl-night-shoot5-e.jpg?w=590

MbRoulette.jpg

http://yvrshoots.com/2016/09/shoot-supergirl-night-shoot-with-dichen-lachman-chyler-leigh-floriana-lima-at-new-westminster-police-station.html#.V9rooJgrLNN

Confirmed to be Roulette.

ComicBook.com has confirmed with Warner Brothers & The CW that Dichen Lachman, who played Anya on The 100 and Jiaying on Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., will be coming to National City in the role of Roulette, a supervillain who operates a metahuman fight club.

"Based on the classic DC Comics character, Roulette runs an underground alien fight club in National City and she is eager to get Supergirl in the ring," says Lachman's official character description from the network.

• Love 2

From EW:

How does Alex feel about Clark coming to town on Supergirl? — Sam

Not great. “Alex has been everything to Kara; she’s her family,” EP Andrew Kreisberg says. “Alex has a little bit of a chip on her shoulder about Clark. She loves him and he’s family, but he left Kara on their doorstep. Kara is so excited to see Clark and so excited to be with him, it’s almost a little bit like Alex feels taken for granted, because she’s the family member who’s put in the time. It sets up an interesting conflict between her and Kara in the first couple of episodes.”

That's a weird way to phrase it. Clark isn't Alex's family, so why would she think of him that way? I think it's just Kreisberg misspeaking because it's not how I'd phrase it.  Although it does seem to clarify that the Danvers family know Superman's secret identity--something we'd never been sure of before. How that would figure into Jeremiah Danvers being taken by an organization as dangerous as Cadmus should be an even bigger deal in that case. 

Supergirl as a show kind of underplays the importance of her secret identity, but with Superman its a huge deal. 

6 hours ago, AzureOwl said:

Dichen Lachman is very good casting for that role. 

• Love 1