Type keyword(s) to search

She's Superman's Cousin!: And Other Supergirl Spoilers

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

Their RL closeness in age guarantees Clark and Kara will shipped on Tumblr.

Right. Because first cousins where one took care of the other as a baby? Totally sexay!!!!! Whoooooooo!

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, MarkHB said:

This sounds like another very good reason for me to be glad I don't use tumblr.

That's okay. They'll do it on Twitter and Facebook too!

• Love 3
(edited)

Eh, people managed to ship parent/child couples (biological). After that, two cousins who didn't grow up together seem positively normal.

(For the record, parent/child is pretty much the only thing that squicks me out now (because of the power discrepancy) - I don't even mind consensual incest anymore. I blame George Martin, I read ASOIAF when I was 18).

Edited by FurryFury
2 hours ago, FurryFury said:

I blame George Martin, I read ASOIAF when I was 18).

I had to Google that to find out what you were talking about.  It's A Song of Ice and Fire, for those (like me) who have never heard of George Martin or read any of his books.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, FurryFury said:

Sorry, I was too lazy to type the whole thing and I guess I'm too used to this shorthand.

Hey, we'd have accepted "the first book in the series" in a pinch as the shorthand!

(edited)

That dialogue is way too cutesy-meta. That said, Sawyer looks like a fun foil for J'onn/Alex. Based on the test dialogue (which I know means squat but DOES give us some sense of how the writers view the characters), she's the new character I think I most like so far.

Edited by stealinghome

We still don't know how many episodes there are for next season, right? I was thinking that WB could use Ms. Carter/Supergirl to cross-promote the Wonder Woman movie, but the season should be over by then.

2 hours ago, stealinghome said:

Man, the show is pushing the stunt casting hard for the first few episodes!

Okay, but it's Lynda Carter. If you have to stunt cast, she's... the best. Her being there to me is even better than any number of ex-Supermen.

Apparently she was on Smallville too (as the blond girl Chloe's mother), but I've blocked out a ton of Smallville that bored me to tears.

• Love 2
On 6/21/2016 at 3:54 PM, Trini said:

We still don't know how many episodes there are for next season, right? I was thinking that WB could use Ms. Carter/Supergirl to cross-promote the Wonder Woman movie, but the season should be over by then.

It's been confirmed at either 22 or 23 depending on the source you believe.  Flash and Arrow both had 23 last season, I believe. 

EW Spoiler Room:

What’s coming up on Supergirl in season 2? — Marcus

I’ll answer your question with my own question: Hank had a vision of Jeremiah, but was it actually real? “You should question everything,” EP Andrew Kreisberg says cryptically. “Until you see Jeremiah Danvers walk through the front door, everything can be questioned.” As for why Jeremiah is locked up at Project Cadmus — if it’s really him! — we’ll find out why he’s so important in season 2.

• Love 1

Seems like the season premiere will be a soft reboot of the series. Understandable; they need to explain the changes from the first season (cast, locations, etc.), and entice/introduce new viewers.

(Reminds me of what they did with Chuck after the first season was shortened by the writers strike.)

(edited)

Trini, interesting theory, and if true would make sense given the network switch.  As long as they understood what worked and what didn't I'm good with it.

S2 should have started production or be very, very close to doing so. 

Edited by Shades of Scarlet

I hope they don't need to go so far as a soft reboot.  We know there are some new faces coming in, but personally I'm fine if they still say they're in National City even though the streets now look more like Vancouver.  I know the other DC shows are starting filming this week, but interestingly Mehcad Brooks is in Stockholm.

I don't think they're doing a reboot. If so it's only a VERY "soft" one in the sense that a new premise they'd already set up (that Kara would be doing something else with her civilian time now) is going ahead. 

I think it's going to be in the same city, albeit magically Vancouverized, in the same reality (whatever is going on in Flash won't directly affect it), and the most awkward loose threads would probably be stuff like "what happened to Lucy" (who I'm betting isn't around anymore) and "why are just a few floors in a building between Cat and Kara keeping them from seeing each other more than every few episodes".  The new characters are just additions, not reconceptualizations of anything. Max and General Lane I'm thinking are also out, but I'm assuming that either one of them returns for Season 3 eventually, or some proxy for them who acts as the agent of the little deal we witnessed between them.

"Soft" is the key word; I don't think they're going to change the central locations (although they might look different) or anything that major. I just think they will set up the premiere so that people who have not seen the first season can jump in without being lost.

• Love 1
(edited)

SDCC rumors

Kathy/Kate Kane and her alter ego, Batwoman, will appear on Supergirl as a recurring role. She will be Maggie Sawyer’s ex, whose adventures as Batwoman occasionally take her to National City. Barbara Gordon will also appear as Oracle (mostly so as not to have Batwoman AND Batgirl).

Babs will develop a strong friendship with Kara, Supergirl. The Oracle/Batwoman relationship is being modeled after the original Chuck Dixon Era Birds Of Prey, but with Kathy as the operative instead of Dinah.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/07/18/big-honking-san-diego-rumours-for-dc-tv-supergirl-batwoman-oracle-constantine-and-john-wesley-shipp-sdcc-comic-con/

Edited by WildcardC

I will be stunned if much of this comes true... but that bit about Fox getting the TV rights to Batman so long as the '66 DVDs are on the market rings true enough to me for me to want to hurry up and order mine. :)

I highly doubt they'd bring in a upper level Bat-family character like Barbara Gordon, especially with Gotham still airing. Gotham City and Batman still have never been mentioned by name by any of the Berlanti shows. Batwoman is slightly more feasible; but I doubt that too.

(Hey, I'd love it if they start planting seeds for a Birds of Prey series, but I don't think the network is that interested.)

I don't know if the CW is interested in a BoP series, but I'd love to see the rumored Harley Quinn movie (which, supposedly, is going to be more like BoP vs Vixens) happen.

(edited)

I highly doubt they'd bring in a upper level Bat-family character like Barbara Gordon, especially with Gotham still airing. 

Usually Bleeding Cool has a good track record with breaking DC news before its officially announced. But yeah Gotham should get first dibs on bat characters, of course.  Perhaps they have lifted the embargo so that a character can appear in different universes?. They certainly surprised me with green lighting Superman for the tv show. And Gotham might not even do a grown up Babs so no Oracle/Batgirl in Gotham, (unless they do a massive time skip). So I could see another DCTV show being allowed to introduce the adult and superhero version of the character, IMO. 

Also remember Babs/Oracle was rumored to be in that now defunct TNT Teen Titans project, despite Gotham being on air. Sound to me like they are interested in a live action version, a baby Babs on Gotham isnt gonna do. But yeah I agree Batwoman being on the show, sounds more plausible. I hope its true, Supergirl is really the best place to debut these bat characters IMO. And it would be awesome to have more powerful women and female friendships on the show.

I don't know if the CW is interested in a BoP series,  but I'd love to see the rumored Harley Quinn movie 

I think they are interested in BoP as a story arc for an existing show, not as its own series, IMO. They already got a team up show in LoT, which is doing just OK ratings. BoP might be reserved for movies too.

Edited by WildcardC
On 19/07/2016 at 3:11 AM, WildcardC said:

Awesome!  Back when they announced Maggie Sawyer, I posited that Kate Kane might show up.  Especially because Cameron Chase had already made a brief appearance.  They probably won't get Renee Montoya, but Maggie and Chase both had recurring parts in the recent Batwoman title which made me think that Kate was a natural follow on.  Barbara Gordon as Oracle is just icing on the cake (yeah, take that New52!).  A Batwoman/Oracle "Birds of Prey" duo sounds interesting too.  The original Birds of Prey title - when Chuck Dixon was writing it - was for a long time just the team-up of Barbara Gordon/Oracle and Dinah Lance/Black Canary.  It wasn't until a fair way into the run that Huntress and Lady Blackhawk were added into the team as regulars (though the very first Birds of Prey one-shot, written before the on-going series, had Oracle, Black Canary, Huntress and Catwoman if I remember).  I guess with one Canary dead and the other tied up with Legends of Tomorrow, Batwoman steps up and I'm completely fine with that.

I like Supergirl just fine, but I'm not going to lie - a live action Batwoman on the screen had me way more excited than anything else announced for the show lol.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/18/2016 at 1:11 PM, WildcardC said:

Kathy/Kate Kane and her alter ego, Batwoman, will appear on Supergirl as a recurring role. She will be Maggie Sawyer’s ex, whose adventures as Batwoman occasionally take her to National City. Barbara Gordon will also appear as Oracle (mostly so as not to have Batwoman AND Batgirl).

Babs will develop a strong friendship with Kara, Supergirl. The Oracle/Batwoman relationship is being modeled after the original Chuck Dixon Era Birds Of Prey, but with Kathy as the operative instead of Dinah.

I'm skeptical of most of this but HOPE it's true.

The Gotham "Barbara Gordon" is not the one people know--as in "it's actually a different person with the same name (who may or may not be her mother--we don't even know)". I'd like to see DC/WB have to balls to not nitpick/slice here and claim Barbara as a FOX only character. 

Babs with Kate Kane is a great operational idea. It gets around the stupid parceling of Black Canary to a different show (then having a few of them and eliminating them all in order) and replaces her with someone who makes just as much sense. And adding Supergirl into it almost exactly replicates the ORIGINAL Birds of Prey, where it was Power Girl instead of Huntress. Supergirl is an adult in this series, not a Teen, so she's a far better Power Girl standin then a Teen Supergirl would be, even if her breasts are normal sized. 

Also, as much as people hate how Barbara became Oracle... they love the stories where she IS Oracle. As a person I'd make her only slightly older than Kara, a marginal Big Sister at most (because its a constant in this show that Kara gets various mother figures, so now we can repeat that with Sister figures too), and simply go with the version where she was Batgirl from age 16, then did that until she got crippled--which I'd say would have to be around age 22-23 or so, and if you play her as just a tad older than 25 year old Kara, but not much, then she'd have been crippled for around another 4 years.  Really it all adds up if you do it correctly.

Edited by Kromm
(edited)

And adding Supergirl into it almost exactly replicates the ORIGINAL Birds of Prey, where it was Power Girl instead of Huntress.

Didnt know that, interesting. But i still prefer huntress as part of the trio, in BoP comics.

The Gotham "Barbara Gordon" is not the one people know--as in "it's actually a different person with the same name (who may or may not be her mother--we don't even know)".

Sure they could always divert from comics canon and introduce an adult version that is not  the daughter of Detective Gordon (with or without current Babs),  its very much can be done but I doubt it. I just think it would be a big disservice to the main character, being a father and to this character is a big part of this character's life & story in comics.

Edited by WildcardC
3 hours ago, Kromm said:

And adding Supergirl into it almost exactly replicates the ORIGINAL Birds of Prey, where it was Power Girl instead of Huntress. Supergirl is an adult in this series, not a Teen, so she's a far better Power Girl standin then a Teen Supergirl would be, even if her breasts are normal sized.

Power Girl was never part of the classic Birds of Prey, aside from a few issues where she popped up (and I seem to remember a very big distrust of Power Girl by Oracle, to the point where Oracle only called on Power Girl as a last resort).  The original Birds of Prey one shots/mini-series in the mid 90's were mainly Babs and Dinah, though Huntress and Catwoman made appearances.  When the series launched as an ongoing in 1999 it was just Oracle/Black Canary again, and it wasn't until Gail Simone took over about 4 years into its run that Huntress and then Lady Blackhawk got added as full time members. 

14 hours ago, WildcardC said:

Didnt know that, interesting. But i still prefer huntress as part of the trio, in BoP comics.

Sure they could always divert from comics canon and introduce an adult version that is not  the daughter of Detective Gordon (with or without current Babs),  its very much can be done but I doubt it. I just think it would be a big disservice to the main character, being a father and to this character is a big part of this character's life & story in comics.

That's not what I was suggesting.

My point is that Gotham is the one who's already done the departure. The comics already long ago established that there was a previous Barbara Gordon before the one who became Batgirl.  Most people never realized this, and Gotham took advantage of that to play with it.

In the comics Barbara has at different times been Jim Gordon's daughter.. or his niece. Although as his niece she's still been his adoptive daughter. It was both ways for many years and both are valid. This may be leveraged at some point by Gotham or not. Lil' Babs there could even be some daughter of "Babs Sr." by someone totally unrelated (like a villain) who Jim simply adopts when Babs Sr. dies.

But on this show all that matters is that we see that baby many years later when she's in her 20s or 30s. We really don't need to know anything about her mother, and if her Dad is discussed it could just be in the abstract.  The only people who might be confused are people who don't actually watch Gotham, but somehow vaguely came across some mentioned there as a Barbara Gordon there.

(edited)

Maybe he's the one in the pod?

It’s safe to say someone over at The CW is a big Chris Wood fan.

The veteran of Vampire Diaries, Carrie Diaries and, most recently, Containment, is joining Supergirl in a series-regular role that’s shrouded in secrecy, TVLine has learned exclusively. All that we know is that the actor will be playing a surprise DC Comics character, and that he’ll make his debut early into the series’ second season.

http://tvline.com/2016/07/20/chris-wood-supergirl-season-2-cast-dc-character/

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1

Man, the show is adding new characters at an incredible rate. I'm starting to get concerned--I don't think the writers are good enough to juggle such a large cast particularly well, particularly when half the cast last season was already dead weight.

• Love 2

Well my two theories are:

1--he's superboy

2--they have possibly evolved the concept of Nick Farrow into the character Chris is playing. So Nick is scratched and Chris is playing a character that might have similar qualities and purpose that Nick was going to. 

Its interesting that it's a series regular role so he'll be around a bunch. 

• Love 1
(edited)

But on this show all that matters is that we see that baby many years later when she's in her 20s or 30s. We really don't need to know anything about her mother, and if her Dad is discussed it could just be in the abstract.  The only people who might be confused are people who don't actually watch Gotham, but somehow vaguely came across some mentioned there as a Barbara Gordon there.

Are you saying  Gotham & Supergirl should have a crossover and share the same universe?. What year is Gotham set in, anyway?

It’s safe to say someone over at The CW is a big Chris Wood fan.

I hated his TVD character, lets hope his new character on SG is nothing like that.

Edited by WildcardC
6 hours ago, WildcardC said:

What year is Gotham set in, anyway?

That's intentionally vague, but I've been interpreting it as being far enough back that Bruce could have grown to become Batman contemporaneously with the other shows.  If you don't watch, they have flip phones rather than smart phones, the cars are big and boxy, and a lot of the other production design mimics the "timeless" / "just a bit old" aesthetic of Burton's 1989 film.

• Love 3

Mehcad Brooks leads a short tour of some of the new sets under construction.  I wasn't able to listen to the audio, but it certainly looks like the CatCo set we're used to!

• Love 1
(edited)
18 hours ago, NorthstarATL said:

I am SO hoping that he's Comet the Super-Horse!

You laugh... and yet a key element to Comet was that early on he changed into a man.

GklMcyX.jpg

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2
(edited)

Mehcad Brooks leads a short tour of some of the new sets under construction.

Cool hat.

Sweet of CW to build them new sets, looks like a long process. Now I get why SG start filming late.

Edited by WildcardC
1 hour ago, Kromm said:

You laugh... and yet a key element to Comet was that early on he changed into a man.

GklMcyX.jpg

Woods has made a career of playing fantasy characters; a centaur who becomes a man and a horse is right in his wheelhouse.

On 7/20/2016 at 2:48 AM, Agent Dark said:

Power Girl was never part of the classic Birds of Prey, aside from a few issues where she popped up (and I seem to remember a very big distrust of Power Girl by Oracle, to the point where Oracle only called on Power Girl as a last resort).  The original Birds of Prey one shots/mini-series in the mid 90's were mainly Babs and Dinah, though Huntress and Catwoman made appearances.  When the series launched as an ongoing in 1999 it was just Oracle/Black Canary again, and it wasn't until Gail Simone took over about 4 years into its run that Huntress and then Lady Blackhawk got added as full time members. 

I think Kromm was referring to the fact that continuity speaking Power Girl was Oracle's first operative before Dinah,  but the partnership soured due to a failed mission which is why Barbara ends up using Dinah in the first Bop issue and what caused the tension but respect the two have with each other later in the series.