Type keyword(s) to search

She's Superman's Cousin!: And Other Supergirl Spoilers

• Start Topic

Man, on some level it's too bad that Alex and Maggie are going to be doing their Valentine's Day thing this episode--I think I'd enjoy seeing Maggie having to arrest/interrogate Lena, Kara being Super Not Happy with Maggie for it, and poor Alex getting caught in the middle. Now that would be some excellent drama.

• Love 3

I was initially excited when I read that synopsis because I find Lena interesting and fun to watch, but now I'm a little worried something bad is going to happen to her. The writers giving a guest star a big flashback episode like this makes me think they're trying to make us like her even more so we'll be gut-punched if she dies. We know that Alex and Maggie's story has a happy resolution, so Lena's might not, for balance. Maybe I've just watched too many Joss Whedon shows, though.

1 hour ago, Cranberry said:

I was initially excited when I read that synopsis because I find Lena interesting and fun to watch, but now I'm a little worried something bad is going to happen to her. The writers giving a guest star a big flashback episode like this makes me think they're trying to make us like her even more so we'll be gut-punched if she dies. We know that Alex and Maggie's story has a happy resolution, so Lena's might not, for balance. Maybe I've just watched too many Joss Whedon shows, though.

I don't think they'd straight up kill her off, but I can see her going evil -- or darker gray.

• Love 2
On 1/20/2017 at 3:56 PM, Oreo2234 said:

And Mon-El too. Every regular character but James and Alex.  I understand James not being there but Alex's absence is puzzling with even J'onn being there. It makes me wonder if something is gonna happen to her.

Can't have Karas sister there with her it's all about Mon-el can't have anything deterring from the sausage fest Musical and shoving Mon-el down our throats 

• Love 3
On 1/26/2017 at 9:56 PM, legaleagle53 said:

It will be interesting to see their take on Lena's backstory, since in the Silver Age comics, she was always the biological younger sister of Lex Luthor. When she was a little girl, she touched a space brain that Lex had been studying (this was before Lex became a criminal), and as a result, she gained the power of telepathy.

After Lex turned criminal, his and Lena's parents were so ashamed of him that they completely disowned him, moved away, and changed their name by juggling the letters of their last name into an anagram of "Luthor," "Thorul."  Lena was too young to remember that much about Lex, so her parents decided that when she grew old enough to understand, they would simply tell her that Lex was dead.

When Lena was a teenager, her parents were killed in an automobile accident that also left her with partial amnesia, so she had no memory of her past as a Luthor.  This proved to be a problem later on when she applied to join the FBI, since there was no way she could pass the required background check.  Fortunately, Lena had met and befriended Supergirl when both were still in high school, and Supergirl went back in time to find out what she could about Lena's past.  It was then that she discovered who Lena really was and to whom she was related, and she disclosed this information to the FBI, but did not disclose it to Lena.  Lena only found out the truth years later when an aneurysm that was a delayed side-effect of the accident that gave Lena her telepathic powers nearly killed her, prompting her fellow-FBI agent husband's mother to share with her the classified file containing the information about her past and her true identity that her then-deceased husband had smuggled out of the FBI.  She later lost her telepathic powers as a result of the brain surgery that was performed to repair the damage caused by the aneurysm.

As I said, quite the backstory for the Silver Age Lena.  I know that after the 1986 reboot, she was originally recast as Lex's daughter rather than his sister, and she never had telepathy.  Still, I'd like to see at least some shout-out to the Silver Age Lena, and yes, I'd love to find out that she DOES have telepathy -- and that she uses it unbeknownst to everyone else!

On Smallville, they basically did Lena Luthor with Tess Mercer.   Lex grooms her to take over his company (and secret projects) once he goes missing (only for her to find out that he's planted a camera I believe in her eye that let him see and hear everything she'd done - yes even dressing and undressing- She was pissed enough to ok a merger with Queen Consolidated thus obliterating the Luthorcorp name.) She thought he just picked her as a loyal employee but a couple years later she remembers/discovers she was the daughter of Lionel Luthor (Lex's dad) while he was married to Lillian.  Tess is taken from her home when she's young to an orphanage run by Granny Goodness and after racking up some repressed memories is then adopted by a family Lionel sets up for her.

She's a grey character that gets redeemed by the end of the show's run. Of course Lex comes back from the dead and kills her to "save her" from her Luthor blood but per at least one writer, she gets turned into an artificial intelligence and is later downloaded into a robot body.  So it's all good!  

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, MarkHB said:

We have a new Big Bad for the second half of the season, and while we don't know who the character is, she'll be played by Teri Hatcher!

Oh my goodness! That's awesome - I wonder who she's playing.  

She will always be my Lois. I enjoyed Erica Durance's Lois as well, but Lois & Clark was my introduction to comic book shows, and she'll always be the face that pops in my head first when someone mentions Lois Lane.

• Love 5

I only really know Teri Hatcher from Desperate Housewives. I thought it was really cool of her to cameo in Smallville as Lois Lane's mother and I would really like to see a scene between Lillian Luthor and Hatcher's character.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

Hahaha that's awesome. She MUST have a few scenes with Dean Cain. I wonder if Jeremiah has gone so evil they have a thing...probably not but it's fun to wonder!

Please don't give me hope like that because I really need that to happen.  Not only was I addicted to Lois and Clark, it's the main reason I got on the Internet.

I would really like to see a scene between Lillian Luthor and Hatcher's character.

I will not turn down an early season Desperate Housewives reunion either.

• Love 3

More info on the musical crossover:

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend star and creator Rachel Bloom has co-written a song for The CW’s upcoming musical crossover between The Flash and Supergirl, BuzzFeed News can exclusively reveal.

Bloom told BuzzFeed News in a statement that as soon as she heard the two series were doing a musical crossover, she e-mailed The CW president Mark Pedowitz, who connected her with the shows’ executive producers Greg Berlanti and Andrew Kreisberg. “I immediately offered them my services,” Bloom wrote. “As soon as they picked one of my song ideas, I hopped on the phone with my old Robot Chicken boss Tom Root and we brainstormed and, based on that brainstorm, I wrote up the song ‘Super Friend.’ I am so excited to contribute more to the upward trend that is musicals in television and film. Music can be one of the most amazing and efficient forms of storytelling and character development. Also, it was really fun to write a comedy song for two superheroes.”

“Super Friend” will be performed by Grant Gustin and Melissa Benoist in “Duet,” The Flash portion of the two-episode crossover, airing March 21 (the musical action kicks off at the end of Supergirl’s March 20 episode). Jesse L. Martin, Victor Garber, Carlos Valdes, Jeremy Jordan, and John Barrowman will also be singing in the episode, which will include Glee alum Darren Criss as Music Meister, aka the musical’s big bad.

The episode will also feature an original song written by Benj Pasek and Justin Paul (La La Land, Dear Evan Hansen) called “Runnin’ Home to You” that Gustin will perform.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, stealinghome said:

So basically there's going to be no music at all in Supergirl?  Pffffffffffffft.

Surprise, surprise. It's nice to see that the stepchild of the DC universe is still getting ignored. They keep getting the short end of the stick here. Two part crossover, my ass:

15 hours ago, Trini said:

“Super Friend” will be performed by Grant Gustin and Melissa Benoist in “Duet,” The Flash portion of the two-episode crossover, airing March 21 (the musical action kicks off at the end of Supergirl’s March 20 episode)

Show, just a pointer: it's not a two episode crossover if the crossover doesn't happen until the last five minutes. 

• Love 3
On 1/26/2017 at 10:32 PM, Cranberry said:

Supergirl #2.12 Description: “Luthors”

LENA IS ARRESTED – After Metallo (guest star Frederick Schmidt) breaks out of prison and frees Lillian Luthor (guest star Brenda Strong), the police blame Lena (guest star Katie McGrath) for his escape and arrest her. Despite overwhelming evidence, Kara (Melissa Benoist) refuses to believe her friend is guilty and fights to clear Lena’s name. Flashbacks reveal how Lena came to be a Luthor.  Meanwhile, Alex (Chyler Leigh) and Maggie (Floriana Lima) celebrate their first Valentine’s Day together. Tawnia McKiernan directed the episode written by Robert Rovner and Cindy Lichtman. (212). Original airdate 2/13/17. 

The listing has been updated:

"Luthors" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, V) (HDTV)

LENA IS ARRESTED - After Metallo (guest star Frederick Schmidt) breaks out of prison and frees Lillian Luthor (guest star Brenda Strong), the police blame Lena (guest star Katie McGrath) for his escape and arrest her. Despite overwhelming evidence, Kara (Melissa Benoist) refuses to believe her friend is guilty and fights to clear Lena's name. Flashbacks reveal how Lena came to be a Luthor. Meanwhile, Alex (Chyler Leigh) introduces Maggie (Floriana Lima) to the gang.

Tawnia McKiernan directed the episode written by Robert Rovner and Cindy Lichtman. (#212). Original airdate 2/13/2017.

Doesn't "the gang" already know Maggie? I wonder if they changed it because Valentine's day only takes up a small part of the episode?

@Trini There's been some confusion with the episodes -- I believe that the Valentine's Day one is separate from "Luthors" and is airing the following week. No official synopsis yet, but Supergirl.tv has this up:

"Mxyzptlk is coming to the show! Fan favorite author of Adventures of Supergirl has put down his comic writing pen and picked up his TV writing pen to co-write this episode! Supergirl.tv also has a source that says Mxyzptlk (the 5th dimentional imp with nearly unlimited power) has arrived to Earth 38 to court the beautiful Kara Danvers. As Supergirl, she is the only woman in the universe that could possibly be his bride. Also, Executive Producer Andrew Kreisberg has confirmed that the Parasite will return this episode! This episode is going to be centered on Alex and Maggie according to EW.com (the date they've quoted is incorrect). While Alex is excited to celebrate the holiday with her first girlfriend, Maggie isn't very keen on the day. A first real fight ensues but the couple manages to pull through. Also, Supergirl.tv has a source that says Winn will date a Valerian (a race that is known for their nomadic lifestyle) after she comes to his rescue on a mission. This date leads to a second date and maybe more. The Valarian is named Lyra and has been to Starhaven (the planet Kara described as having air that smells like cinnamon). Unfortunately, Starhaven has been hit by a blight which has taken much of the majesty of the planet away."

As for Maggie knowing the gang, she definitely knows Kara, but has she talked to Winn or James much yet? I don't think they know she and Alex are a thing, in any case.

• Love 1

I am wondering if the show switched the original airing order of 12 and 13, hence the confusion. The Valentine's Day ep was initially said to be airing on 2/13 in the first wave of Sanvers publicity, but then it was corrected to 2/20.

As for Maggie: she's met Winn and James at least briefly at the bar. I don't know if she's met J'onn or Mon-El--though as much as she's at the DEO these days, you'd think she'd have bumped into them. But I'm rolling with the theory that aside from Kara, the group doesn't know she and Maggie are dating, so this is the introduction as The Girlfriend. And maybe Maggie like, comes to Game Night or family dinner at Kara's, something a little more intimate and friend group-y, as opposed to just grabbing a beer with everyone at the bar.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Cranberry said:

As for Maggie knowing the gang, she definitely knows Kara, but has she talked to Winn or James much yet? I don't think they know she and Alex are a thing, in any case.

I mean, I don't think she's talked to the others, but she WAS at the DEO this past episode, so I just figured that she was introduced already. Winn did hear Alex/Kara squealing about Maggie a few episodes ago, right? Although, rewatching the scene, Alex did whisper to Kara about Maggie sleeping over, so I guuess it could be Alex introducing Maggie as her girlfriend for the first time to the gang. 

Press release for 2x13, the true Valentine's Day episode: https://supergirl.tv/valentines-day-episode-synopsis-title

At this point, it almost feels like a parody that every man on the show has to fall in love with Kara. Good Lord. That makes what, 5 love interests in 33 (!) episodes! jfc writers, just stop.

Also, soooo not interested in Kara and Mon-El straining their relationship or wtfever. They're strained 24/7 because he's a tool and she doesn't accept that.

• Love 4

I actually don't mind if Kara has multiple (casual) love interests-- she's an attractive young woman, and seeing how she deals with dating as a superheroine  could be good. But the show has dropped the [superhero] work/life balance aspect, and now she seems to have more scenes with Mon-El than Alex, when the sister relationship used to be so important.

• Love 4

I understand others' reasons for not liking Mon-El and Mon-El/ Kara, but I really like the character and the potential romantic relationship.

I find Mon'El incredibly charming and funny (his awkwardness sometimes reminds me of Felicity) and I think that Melissa and Chris have great chemistry in my opinion. I know all the reasons for not liking this cliché storyline with a white former frat boy taking out potential storylines from the lead and other characters, but I really like the way it is being done. I also very interested in the potential storylines related to him (is he a prince of Daxam? who is looking for him? what about the dominators?). I wonder if this will be related to Teri Hatcher's role as a big bad.

Also one of the reasons for Alex having less screentime with Kara is that Alex is finally having her own storyline - her relationship with Maggie. Same for J'Onn and M'Gann - the 3 main characters have got new friends to play with, but because Melissa is the lead, the storylines related to her potential love interests get more screentime and focus. I am also liking Winn at the DEO, aliens everywhere and Lena.

And I agree, the relationships between Kara, Alex and J'Onn are the best (Supergirl power trio for the win - I loved their scene together last episode).

Liking mostly everything about season 2 except for Guardian, which I find boring although last episode was a great improvement.

Also interested in the next 2 episodes. White Martians and L-Corp? I'm in.

Edited by emarasmoak
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, stealinghome said:

Sneak peek. Looks gooooooooood.

So, is Kara supposed to be as tall as the White Martian ?  Because that guy was HUGE compared to M'Gann and J'onn, yet Kara was firing her heat rays basically horizontal and hit square in the middle of his chest (and she wasn't flying, because she was standing next to a dumpster).

That's rather spoilery--my guess is either that it's not really Jeremiah but a shapeshifter, or he HAS turned to the dark side after all.

It has to be something along those lines since the rescue scene made no sense - Jeremiah should not have been free to run around unlocking cells.  It depends on how dark they want to go with this storyline.  I can see Kara and Alex being too overjoyed to seriously question him but J'onn had better be ready to do a deep mind scan.

• Love 1

Winn has a new love interest, doesn't he? From here:

Also, Supergirl.tv has a source that says Winn will date a Valerian (a race that is known for their nomadic lifestyle) after she comes to his rescue on a mission. This date leads to a second date and maybe more. The Valarian is named Lyra and has been to Starhaven (the planet Kara described as having air that smells like cinnamon). Unfortunately, Starhaven has been hit by a blight which has taken much of the majesty of the planet away.

You can see them kissing for a second in the promo for the next episode.

• Love 2

Yeah, no, there's no way this is ending in anything but tears and pain. We're definitely headed for a Daddy Danvers betrayal imo--I think the question is how much Cadmus Kool-Aid Jeremiah has drunk/how much he is acting on his own volition versus how much he's being controlled or manipulated.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Trini said:

From Kevin Smith's instagram; new set/location:

Noting that in the instagram post above Kevin Smith initially stated that this is the Throne Room for Teri Hatcher and Kevin Sorbo who are the King and Queen of Daxam and that they were Mon-El's parents (he also made a joke about him suggesting that the episode should be called "Mom-El"). These spoilers about queen/ king/ prince/ throne room are now deleted but I saw them in his post yesterday. Screencaps from the previous version can be found in Twitter and Tumblr. Shocker!! Nobody guessed it!!

Sorbo previously mentioned that their characters were from a planet that was “…an arch-rival planet of Krypton, which is now of course destroyed” and that Teri Hatcher was playing his wife. Also when Teri's cast was announced they mentioned that she would be a big bad for the season with an arc of at least 3 episodes.

There have been some more potentially spoilery photos recently.

There is a behind the scenes picture from Teri Hatcher (her Twitter maybe?) with the costume department and what appears to be a piece of armor. I am in for a Daxam - Prince - Invasion - War story.

Kevin Smith has also uploaded another behind the scenes photo with him, Melissa in Supergirl costume and Chris in normal clothes in the Fortress of Solitude. This doesn't necessarily mean that there will be a scene with Supergirl / Mon-El there but...

And KS has also uploaded another behind the scenes photo with Melissa, Chris, Mehcad and Jeremy playing Settlers of Catan and he mentions a "game night".

Leanne Aguilera also uploaded a couple of photos with herself & Jeremy, and herself & Chris, and the 2 guys clothes remind people of 50's clothing.

There is also a behind the scenes leaked picture of shirtless Mon-El in a bed that appears to be at Kara's room (I have seen the picture in Twitter and Tumblr). Nobody knows when this is supposed to happen, but people thinks that right now they are shooting Kevin Smith's episode, which I think it is to be 2x17. There are some male members of the crew that are also shirtless while shooting (this happens often to make actors feel more comfortable in these situations)

Edited by emarasmoak
grammar, spelling
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, emarasmoak said:

Kevin Smith has also uploaded another behind the scenes photo with him, Melissa in Supergirl costume and Chris in normal clothes in the Fortress of Solitude. This doesn't necessarily mean that there will be a scene with Supergirl / Mon-El there but...

I think the Fortress is a standing set now; Smith tweeted a picture while filming his prior episode when his workstation (for viewing the shots as they're done) was set up in the Fortress although the shot itself wasn't done there.

I love that he says he's "nominally directing" it.  On his podcasts, etc. he's pretty open about the fact that, when doing series TV like this, the director isn't there to bring "his vision," he's there to shoot the script on-time and on-budget (his video of "directing" the Supergirl flying sequences is great because he admits "Yeah, I'm the 'director', but I'm not doing a f****** thing!")  At the same time, I think he does have room to do his own thing with camera angles, etc., and I think he delivers really good episodes from that angle (sorry).

• Love 3

News on the musical crossover, which will be mostly on The Flash, but they mention about what will be going on in the Supergirl part:

As for the upcoming Flash-Supergirl musical crossover, that will mainly take place on The Flash, with Kara, Winn (Jeremy Jordan), J’onn (David Harewood), and Mon-El (Chris Wood) appearing. “We would’ve had everybody, because I know this one can sing,” Kreisberg says, referencing Chyler Leigh, “but somebody actually had to be part of an episode of Supergirl, because we actually keep filming these things.”

Hence, while the others are away, Alex and Maggie (Floriana Lima) “have a bigger storyline in that episode to free other people up,” Kreisberg says, also teasing there will be a big hour for Winn, James (Mehcad Brooks), and Lyra (Tamzin Merchant) in episode 16, as well as episode 18. “Winn, James, and Lyra have a really funny story in 18 too, where the three of them try crime fighting as a trio, which doesn’t necessarily go well. She kind of becomes the Yoko of the team.”

As well a bit about 2.18.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 3

Heh. So Alex and Maggie are going to get like 4 minutes of screentime instead of their normal 2.5? Good to know. ;)

Sooooo not interested in Lyra Yoko-ing James and Winn. There are no words for how much that is not interesting to me.

If the crossovers next season aren't going to be true crossovers on SG, I hope the writers just don't do them. I don't want my show to get disrupted and not have much to show for it.