Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I absolutely love that movie! Just rematched it last week and still love it. Great chemistry, nice story, and the misunderstanding made sense. It was nice that we got to see the leads fall in love over months. 

I also liked How To Fall In Love

So I finally watched Stop The Wedding after going with the OJ Simpson doc last night.  I too really really enjoyed it.  The lead couple had really good chemistry and they could actually kiss.  Kiss like adults who have kissed before instead of like ten year olds having their first kiss. Maybe it sounds shallow but I will never not be thrilled when I see that in a Hallmark movie.

There was not a moment of this movie that I didn't enjoy. Writing was part of it but I also think a lot of it was due to the cast. I thought Thicke was fine.  He did do somewhat of a buffoon, somewhat self-involved persona here but I felt it worked.  And I'm beginning to really love David Lewis who played the assistant Jake.  I don't ever believe he has ever starred in a Hallmark movie but I usually think positively about the movies in which he does appear and sometimes even prefer his story as I did in A Christmas Detour.   But maybe part of the reason this worked is that the budget must have been a bit bigger because they brought out so many of their Hallmark stalwarts.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I also liked How To Fall In Love

So I finally watched Stop The Wedding after going with the OJ Simpson doc last night.  I too really really enjoyed it.  The lead couple had really good chemistry and they could actually kiss.  Kiss like adults who have kissed before instead of like ten year olds having their first kiss. Maybe it sounds shallow but I will never not be thrilled when I see that in a Hallmark movie.

There was not a moment of this movie that I didn't enjoy. Writing was part of it but I also think a lot of it was due to the cast. I thought Thicke was fine.  He did do somewhat of a buffoon, somewhat self-involved persona here but I felt it worked.  And I'm beginning to really love David Lewis who played the assistant Jake.  I don't ever believe he has ever starred in a Hallmark movie but I usually think positively about the movies in which he does appear and sometimes even prefer his story as I did in A Christmas Detour.   But maybe part of the reason this worked is that the budget must have been a bit bigger because they brought out so many of their Hallmark stalwarts.

Thank you! That's what I liked! They actually kissed and went for it before the very end. I loved it! They were sexy without being over the top. They liked each other and then they kept doing it because that's what's you do when you like someone, you kiss :) And they were legit too!

Oh and you watched the OJ Doc? Nice! It gets even better (sorry OT)! I have seen all parts!

• Love 3

Did anyone watch the newest Aurora Teagarden mystery Sunday night?  Is it me, or did Candice Cameron Bure look a little rough?  I think it was probably the makeup and hair.  The hair color and eye makeup just seemed a little harsh.  Her figure is fantastic and I like cast...even like the mystery-of-the-week.

(edited)

I don't know if anyone is interested, but Michelle Vicary, Exec. VP of Programming at Hallmark, participated in the Variety TV Summit and talked for about 25 minutes.  Here is her tweet and Periscope video, which will probably only be accessible for a short time (is that how Periscope works?) --

Highlights from Michelle's Q&A include (and I hope I heard everything correctly -- I wasn't getting great audio):

• There are 75,000,000 - 80,000,000 "unique" viewers who tune in just for the 2 months of the Countdown to Christmas every year, so Hallmark uses that time to also promote and show those viewers what else they can find on the channel during the other times of the year.
  • Hallmark's movie production increases 15-20% each year, based on the success of the movies and movie events.
  • There will be 26 Christmas movies this year (so, if you recall from the Futon Critic article last week, 18 of those will be on the main Hallmark Channel -- which means that Hallmark Movies & Mysteries must be doubling the number of Christmas movies from last year, increasing to 8).
  • They're doing 77-78 new movies this year (entire year, from Winterfest to the Countdown to Christmas, and also whatever is going on over on HMM), and Michelle said they are aiming for 85-86 new movies between the 2 channels next year.
  • The goal is to do 2 Hall of Fame movies each year, but they try to fit them into events where they will be the most meaningful; one of the HoF movies will, of course, be for the holiday season, and I think she said -- unless I misunderstood -- that another HoF movie would be a Valentine's Day movie.
  • The goal is to have 3-4 series next year.
Edited by Sherry67
13 hours ago, Kemper said:

Did anyone watch the newest Aurora Teagarden mystery Sunday night?  Is it me, or did Candice Cameron Bure look a little rough?  I think it was probably the makeup and hair.  The hair color and eye makeup just seemed a little harsh.  Her figure is fantastic and I like cast...even like the mystery-of-the-week.

I have both of the mystery movies on my DVR but haven't had a chance to catch up.

• Love 2
(edited)

Those of you who liked Niall Matter in Stop the Wedding will be seeing him in 2 Hallmark Christmas movies this year.  He will be in the already filmed A Snow Capped Christmas, and also Finding Father Christmas.

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, DkNNy79 said:

Looking forward to Vanessa Marcil's Hallmark movie that is scheduled to air on Saturday, "The Convenient Groom."

Same here.  The Convenient Groom and The Wedding March were the 2 that I was most looking forward to when the new movies were first announced, and I am hoping they don't disappoint.  I love me some David Sutcliffe, so I know I will at least enjoy him in TCG, if nothing else!  

I have enjoyed the previous 3 new wedding movies to some degree or another -- there were certainly elements of each movie that I liked -- but not one of them has made me want to get the DVD, save it on the DVR or even watch it again any time soon.  

Edited by Sherry67
(edited)

I am just getting around to watching some of the mysteries that I had on my DVR.  I'm on the verge of not recording any more of them.  I am just getting sick of the stupidity of these characters.  Aurora Teagarden is at a realtors dinner that the whole town goes to (??).  She realizes that her best friend left with the person Roe just discovered is the murderer.  On her way out the door she runs into not one, but two police officers.  Instead of telling them exactly what's going on and then waiting for them to act she runs off on her own.  She has time to confront the murder, almost becoming the next victim and hitting the murder over the head before the police arrive.  I guess that they must have stopped to get donuts before rushing to the scene (sorry for the stereotype).  

And the flower lady (sorry, can't remember her name) -- what the heck is wrong with Brooke Shields?  She's a brilliant attorney who decided to own a flower shop.  That's fine.  I'm an attorney and I frequently wish I was doing something else.  I couldn't get past the first 20 minutes of the last movie.  It just didn't hold my interest at all.  She just got on my nerves.  PS  I've seen black roses before.  Are they usually hand painted?

On to Garage Sale Mysteries.  How many times can one person almost get killed?  Enough is enough!  Let people know where you're going when you're prone to having someone try to murder you.  

Last but not least, Hannah Swanson.  This may be picky, but why do both of her boyfriends have to look so much alike.  Am I the only one who gets mixed up?

Edited by ShelleySue
typo
  • Love 4
(edited)

This is an interview with one of Hallmark's recurring writers -- she is behind Hello, It's Me (with Kavan Smith and Kellie Martin), as well as Wedding Bells and tomorrow night's The Convenient Groom.  She is also working on a Christmas movie.

http://mydevotionalthoughts.net/2016/06/interview-with-screenwriter-julie-sherman-wolfe.html

I thought you might find the interview somewhat interesting because there is often talk about the writing of the movie scripts (either in a positive or negative way), and Julie details the process of what goes into writing a script, or adapting a book into a script, doing the rewrites, the treatments, etc.  She touches on details that the average viewer at home might not think about, such as writing specific details like chalkboard menus into stage directions and then those details coming to life and being made, or about figuring out the act breaks (where something fairly compelling has to occur right before they cut to a commercial).

I found it very informative and fascinating, but I don't know if anyone else will.

Edited by Sherry67
13 hours ago, ShelleySue said:

I am just getting around to watching some of the mysteries that I had on my DVR.  I'm on the verge of not recording any more of them.  I am just getting sick of the stupidity of these characters.  Aurora Teagarden is at a realtors dinner that the whole town goes to (??).  She realizes that her best friend left with the person Roe just discovered is the murderer.  On her way out the door she runs into not one, but two police officers.  Instead of telling them exactly what's going on and then waiting for them to act she runs off on her own.  She has time to confront the murder, almost becoming the next victim and hitting the murder over the head before the police arrive.  I guess that they must have stopped to get donuts before rushing to the scene (sorry for the stereotype).  

And the flower lady (sorry, can't remember her name) -- what the heck is wrong with Brooke Shields?  She's a brilliant attorney who decided to own a flower shop.  That's fine.  I'm an attorney and I frequently wish I was doing something else.  I couldn't get past the first 20 minutes of the last movie.  It just didn't hold my interest at all.  She just got on my nerves.  PS  I've seen black roses before.  Are they usually hand painted?

On to Garage Sale Mysteries.  How many times can one person almost get killed?  Enough is enough!  Let people know where you're going when you're prone to having someone try to murder you.  

Last but not least, Hannah Swanson.  This may be picky, but why do both of her boyfriends have to look so much alike.  Am I the only one who gets mixed up?

I watch all these movies, but they all have the same problem. The heroine is always questioning people like they have some kind of right to do it, & for some reason, nobody punches them in the face. They all act like it's a perfectly normal thing to do, & they get really obnoxious with it. Have you ever seen the Mystery Woman series? There were times when I would scream at the TV "why are you answering her??????" because it was so ridiculous.

• Love 2
On 6/16/2016 at 10:41 PM, Sherry67 said:

Those of you who liked Niall Matter in Stop the Wedding will be seeing him in 2 Hallmark Christmas movies this year.  He will be in the already filmed A Snow Capped Christmas, and also Finding Father Christmas.

Okay, as much as I like Niall, that video is seriously creepy. He reminds me of the way Jason Statham looks as a woman in that LG phone commercial.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, kirinan said:

Okay, as much as I like Niall, that video is seriously creepy. He reminds me of the way Jason Statham looks as a woman in that LG phone commercial.

Lol.  It is very creepy!  I have seen a lot of still photos with the whole Face Swap effect (Alicia Witt posts them all the time), and those are disturbing enough, but the actual videos are nightmare-inducing.   (I'd forgotten about the Statham commercial, which is also terrifying.) 

I am a bit befuddled by the concept of Niall starring in 2 Hallmark Christmas movies in the same year.  Last year they did the same thing with Lacey Chabert, but I think that was only because Mariah Carey asked for Lacey to be in A Christmas Melody, after Lacey had already done Family for Christmas.  If Mariah had not made that request I think there would have only been one Lacey Chabert Christmas movie in 2015, which would have been fine.

Niall shot A Snow Capped Christmas back in late February/early March, if I remember correctly (there is even some real snow in some of the photos I saw!).  He filmed Stop the Wedding a couple of months ago.   He is filming Finding Father Christmas now.  Even though Hallmark has now latched on to him in the same way they latched on to Paul Greene, Shenae Grimes-Beech, Jonathan Scarfe, Dan Payne, etc., I can't imagine that they would have said "Let's make this guy the leading man in 2 Christmas movies this year, even though we don't know how well he will be received when people see Stop the Wedding."  I mean, they could have spread the wealth a bit, or at least put Niall in a wedding movie, then a Fall Harvest movie, and then a Christmas movie.

My guess is -- and it could be completely wrong -- that ether A Snow Capped Christmas will not end up on Hallmark after all, for some reason, OR that Hallmark had another actor lined up for either A Snow Capped Christmas or Finding Father Christmas and that guy backed out.  They may have needed to find someone to fill in on short notice and Niall was available to step into the role.  (Last year there was at least one casting shake-up when Luke MacFarlane was supposed to star in The Magic Stocking, but Victor Webster took on his role and Luke jumped into the movie Christmas Land.)

Umm, okay. So I watched The Convenient Groom. It's the first time I've ever seen David Sutcliffe or Vanessa Marcil in anything.

Him I like--he's very appealing, and in fact something about his manner or the way he speaks--not quite sure what it is--reminds me a little of Colin Ferguson. Very laid-back and likable, and I'd watch him in other things in a second.

Her? Not so much. I was hard-pressed to watch the entire movie because of her, but there was nothing else on TV and the Detroit Tigers are losing badly. I don't know if it's just this character, but she's got a lot of nervous tics, like the sudden giggling and the constant pushing her hair out of her face, that made ME nervous. I don't think I'd particularly care to watch her in anything again, and I honestly can't tell you if there was any chemistry between the two of them. Maybe this isn't representative of her work, but she didn't come across as a very good actress to me.  

The movie itself wasn't bad--like a lot of the movies, it required some suspension of disbelief--but I liked Stop the Wedding better.  

• Love 2

I agree with you, kirinan. I have seen David Sutcliffe in other things and like him. I did not like Vanessa Marcil in this at all. She's familiar to me, so I must have seen her before. I just really didn't like her acting in the role at all. Some of it may have been how the character was written, but I think someone else could have made the character more likable. Unfortunately, this movie is going to be a quick delete for me on the DVR. It is unfortunate, as the scenery was beautiful. 

• Love 3
(edited)

As Rick Kitchen pointed out, Vanessa Marcil is most known for her long-running role as Brenda on General Hospital.  Her previous Hallmark Channel credits include the movies Stranded in Paradise (with James Denton) and The Nanny Express (with Brennan Elliott)

Vanessa is also one of Prince's former ladies, appearing in one of his videos and supposedly, reportedly, having a brief romance with him.  They remained good friends, from what I understand.  In fact, while Vanessa was in Canada filming tonight's movie, The Convenient Groom, Prince passed away.  Different media outlets were hounding Vanessa for statements, or to appear on CNN to talk about him.  She stayed silent and didn't do any shows, as she continued to film the movie.   It couldn't have been easy to be in the middle of shooting a breezy rom-com and then find out that a person who was important in your life passed away so suddenly and unexpectedly. 

David Sutcliffe -- I love, love, love him!!! -- is most well-known for his role on Gilmore Girls.  His previous Hallmark efforts include:  The Wish List (with Jennifer Esposito -- I loved this movie), Charming Christmas (with Julie Benz) and Before You Say I Do (with Jennifer Westfeldt, a.k.a. the former longtime love of Jon Hamm).   He also did a Lifetime Christmas movie with Daphne Zuniga called On Strike for Christmas.

And... David Sutcliffe played Ed, the guy that Diane Lane ends up with at the end of Under the Tuscan Sun!

Edited by Sherry67
Typos and stupid browser problems!
  • Love 2
(edited)

I agree about Vanessa Marcil. She usually has those tics you guys mentioned such as the hair and weird giggling, but it always worked on GH. I even liked her in the other two movies mentioned but she was weird in this one. I don't know if it was because of Prince, or all the Botox, but this movie may have worked if there was another actress as the lead.

I did think they had some nice chemistry, and there were some scenes where we could see them falling in love. My biggest problem was the weird editing of the movie- important scenes ended quickly, scenes that shouldn't have been in the movie, and a lot of annoying characters (publicist, mother in law at first, Kate's weird quirks). If done correctly this movie could have been really good because I liked the main premise of this movie and both characters were single when they fell in love. What a bummer.

Weird that the movie I was looking the least forward to, Stop The Wedding, ended up being my favorite. I think Rachel Boston and David Sutcliffe would shine in a movie together- both are so likable. Next week's movie The Wedding March looks terrible so I'm not even wasting my time. Josie Bisett really does look great for being in her forties, but I don't think I could sit through 10 minutes of it.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 5

What was up with the glasses Vanessa was wearing? I know big and bold is in (I'm a an avid wearer of them myself) but I didn't like them. They were so distracting. I can take or leave her but she was kinda blah in this one. I really enjoyed David and I'm glad to see him doing films for Hallmark. He fits in very nicely with the mold of men who aren't so pushover and who have charm and effortless adorableness. I feel he doesn't have to try hard to be likable like some others. I just always hate how pushy some of these storylines have to be, sometimes it's just not natural.

Next week's movie does look a bit old to me, if I can say that. I actually do enjoy Josie and Jack but it just reminds me how long ago Melrose Place ended and how much time has passed. I don't know if they are gonna be good but it does seem a bit more like my parents are falling in love and not young people...yeah I'm ok with that.

Stop the Wedding is my favorite and I don't think any one else is going to overtake it. 

I think Niall is going to be the next Hallmark guy and will put him in alot of films. It  is interesting he's done so many. When Erin was doing her guesses of her co-star I never thought of him because he had already done so many films this season. Not that I mind, I like him alot so I do have high expectations for his films. I do think him and Erin will be one of the better Christmas movies.

And sadly Dan and Jessica's Christmas movie will probably NOT be a winner but I will watch for Dan and all the pretty. 

• Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, emjohnson03 said:

What was up with the glasses Vanessa was wearing? I know big and bold is in (I'm a an avid wearer of them myself) but I didn't like them. They were so distracting. I can take or leave her but she was kinda blah in this one. I really enjoyed David and I'm glad to see him doing films for Hallmark. He fits in very nicely with the mold of men who aren't so pushover and who have charm and effortless adorableness. I feel he doesn't have to try hard to be likable like some others. I just always hate how pushy some of these storylines have to be, sometimes it's just not natural.

Next week's movie does look a bit old to me, if I can say that. I actually do enjoy Josie and Jack but it just reminds me how long ago Melrose Place ended and how much time has passed. I don't know if they are gonna be good but it does seem a bit more like my parents are falling in love and not young people...yeah I'm ok with that.

Stop the Wedding is my favorite and I don't think any one else is going to overtake it. 

I think Niall is going to be the next Hallmark guy and will put him in alot of films. It  is interesting he's done so many. When Erin was doing her guesses of her co-star I never thought of him because he had already done so many films this season. Not that I mind, I like him alot so I do have high expectations for his films. I do think him and Erin will be one of the better Christmas movies.

And sadly Dan and Jessica's Christmas movie will probably NOT be a winner but I will watch for Dan and all the pretty. 

About your "looks a bit old to me" comment in regards to The Wedding March -- I know what you mean.  It has a more serious tone to it, so it feels a bit more mature.   But... I hate to point this out, but Hallmark's primary viewer base is older.   Their main viewer base is not comprised of twenty-somethings, or even younger thirty-somethings.   I don't think their goal is to crank out a bunch of movies that will only appeal to people under 40.  They sprinkle some in here and there.  ( Let's be honest -- if Hallmark were interested in focusing on younger viewers they would get rid of Little House on the Prairie, I Love Lucy, The Golden Girls, etc.)   On occasion, we old folks (those of us in our late 40s) actually like to see movies with people closer to our age as well (Vanessa Marcil and David Sutcliffe are each in their late 40s, Josie Bissett is 45, etc.).  Some people in my age group like to see only older people in movies, but I like seeing a variety of movies, with people in their 20s (and Lord knows I have seen enough Shenae Grimes-Beech to last for a couple of years), 30s and beyond, and I feel I get that on the channel most of the time.  I don't rule anything out because it looks too young or too old.  I watch whatever movie they put on the main channel. 

I still think that 2 new Christmas movies, in the same year, with Niall Matter in the lead role is a bit much (just as I thought it was a bit much with Lacey Chabert in 2 new Christmas movies last year too).  One this year and one next year would have been fine.  But there are so many other actors who could take on one of the movies.  I mean... I love Paul Greene, Paul Campbell and Jonathan Scarfe -- and David Sutcliffe -- but I have no desire to see them in new 2 Christmas movies each, in the same year, on the same channel, especially when there are so many other people who can fill the roles.  

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 2
(edited)

As for my thoughts on The Convenient Groom -- as I knew I would, I liked David Sutcliffe.  That was a given for me, pretty much.  Vanessa just seemed like Vanessa to me.   She seemed like the Vanessa that I am used to.  She has a certain, specific affect when speaking, and I think that people either don't notice it or are bothered by it.  Sometimes, in certain roles, I find myself more bothered by it than other times.  I think I have just gotten used to it.

I thought the wedding coordinator was hilarious in her humorless, serious way.  Lucas' mom and sister were annoying at first. 

I thought the scene where Kate and Lucas get coffee was cute, as he purposely did everything she was telling women to watch out for when getting coffee.  I loved the scene where they were watching TV together (and when the credits rolled on the cop show they were watching, the director's name was David Winning -- who is also the one who directed this movie, and directed Tulips in Spring and December Bride).  I thought their chemistry was decent.  I thought the original fiancé was a jerk. 

All in all, it was a cute movie.  Like the other 3 new wedding movies preceding it, I liked a lot about it but it is not one that I am saving on the DVR or itching to see again right away.  I will watch it again somewhere down the road.

The movie Pair of Jacks starts shooting today, and the person playing James Brolin's daughter is... Mena Suvari.

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, twoods said:

I agree about Vanessa Marcil. She usually has those tics you guys mentioned such as the hair and weird giggling, but it always worked on GH.

I did think they had some nice chemistry, and there were some scenes where we could see them falling in love. My biggest problem was the weird editing of the movie- important scenes ended quickly, scenes that shouldn't have been in the movie, and a lot of annoying characters (publicist, mother in law at first, Kate's weird quirks). If done correctly this movie could have been really good because I liked the main premise of this movie and both characters were single when they fell in love. What a bummer.

I thought this movie was awful awful awful.  So boring.  If I weren't watching with my mother, I may have stopped it.  Yes, a lot of Vanesa's tics worked twenty years ago when she was the center of a triangle where she had chemistry with both of her leads.  But I also think she had more energy overall as an actress back then.  I did briefly check in when she returned to GH a few years ago (but not for long because soaps these days make me sad) and I felt similar problems that she had in this movie during her GH return as well. 

It could also be a problem in writing. I liked her in the nanny movie but I think that was a decently written movie with momentum. I think this show started with a good premise but was never really able to develop an interesting plot*.  Watching people plan for a wedding is okay only if the dialogue is super funny or interesting. It was neither. I was just left thinking about how happy she looked at her "engagement" party less than an hour after getting dumped.  But they did have nice chemistry during their dance so chemistry wasn't an issue.  Finding appropriate ways to highlight it were. It also seemed strange when she was so surprised to hear he loved her even though he told her as much already.

5 minutes ago, Sherry67 said:

About your "looks a bit old to me" comment in regards to The Wedding March -- I know what you mean.  But... I hate to point this out, but Hallmark's primary viewer base is older.   Their main viewer base is not comprised of twenty-somethings, or even younger thirty-somethings.   I don't think their goal is to crank out a bunch of movies that will only appeal to people under 40.  They sprinkle some in here and there.  ( Let's be honest -- if Hallmark were interested in focusing on younger viewers they would get rid of Little House on the Prairie, I Love Lucy, The Golden Girls, etc.)  

I think the "it looks old" opinion is funny to me because we've also seen complaints about Hallmark movies being too "young."  I would say most of the stars of these movies are in their 30s with some in their 20s and others in their 40s.  I will watch next week.  The age of the duo doesn't bother me but I am a little worried that it'll be more on the melodramatic side like the Jennie Garth movie that aired recently.

I do have to say that I think you might underestimate the appearl shows like Golden Girls have on younger viewers.  It's crazy how popular they are with younger viewers.

I still think that 2 new Christmas movies, in the same year, with Niall Matter in the lead role is a bit much (just as I thought it was a bit much with Lacey Chabert in 2 new Christmas movies last year too). 

Since good chemistry is such a hard thing for Hallmark movies to find, I don't care if I see good leads more than once if it increases the opportunity to have chem in the movies.  I think Erin and Niall have potential.

*Plot.  This is why the mysteries have had a leg up with me lately. I think they take more care with plot and follow a series of events starting with Point A to B to C....to Z.  I feel like the romance movies tend to jump around nonsensically and skip a view steps.  They start at Point A then go to M then back to D and next step is Plot W---Wedding.  As a result, I think a series like Murder She Baked or Signed, Sealed, Delivered also happen to be doing romance better. Granted, they do get multiple installments to develop the romance but it helps that falling in love is the backdrop to the main plot while the scenario is the romcom movies is used as a backdrop to the two main characters falling in love.

• Love 3
(edited)
49 minutes ago, Sherry67 said:

About your "looks a bit old to me" comment in regards to The Wedding March -- I know what you mean.  It has a more serious tone to it, so it feels a bit more mature.   But... I hate to point this out, but Hallmark's primary viewer base is older.   Their main viewer base is not comprised of twenty-somethings, or even younger thirty-somethings.   I don't think their goal is to crank out a bunch of movies that will only appeal to people under 40.  They sprinkle some in here and there.  ( Let's be honest -- if Hallmark were interested in focusing on younger viewers they would get rid of Little House on the Prairie, I Love Lucy, The Golden Girls, etc.)   On occasion, we old folks (those of us in our late 40s) actually like to see movies with people closer to our age as well (Vanessa Marcil and David Sutcliffe are each in their late 40s, Josie Bissett is 45, etc.).  Some people in my age group like to see only older people in movies, but I like seeing a variety of movies, with people in their 20s (and Lord knows I have seen enough Shenae Grimes-Beech to last for a couple of years), 30s and beyond, and I feel I get that on the channel most of the time.  I don't rule anything out because it looks too young or too old.  I watch whatever movie they put on the main channel. 

That is true! I am in a younger demographic so I do see them as more old, and usually I don't mind. And you are right, they need variety with the ages because romance doesn't have an age to it. You are right in thinking that it could be more serious because it's older. It's just crazy to see these 2 on a show in the early 90's and now they are in a film together so many years later (still looking great) but beyond their young, hip selves!

And yes, so true about The Golden Girls attracting younger people. Oh my is that show always hilarious and still relevant.  

Edited by emjohnson03
  • Love 2

Yeah the leads are old in Wedding March but I'm not tuning in because it looks so melodramatic and boring. I do tend to gravitate to movies that have younger looking leads but a lot of the current leads are in their 40's but look younger. 

Convenient Groom's editing was choppy as hell. We got a quick boat scene but no cute scene of them bonding on the boat- just of her after feeling sick then later him looking googly eyed at her. Something must have happened on the boat before she got sick but they cut it. Then there is a 2 second scene of her wearing the wedding dress and being happy- it cut to commercial so quickly. Hope the director is better at other movies because he/she really dropped the ball on this one. 

I want to watch the Wish List again because David and Jennifer Esposito were pretty great and had terrific chemistry. David really does make a pretty terrific Hallmark lead. Can't believe this is the same guy I couldn't stand on Gilmore Girls.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I thought this movie was awful awful awful.  So boring.  If I weren't watching with my mother, I may have stopped it.  Yes, a lot of Vanesa's tics worked twenty years ago when she was the center of a triangle where she had chemistry with both of her leads.  But I also think she had more energy overall as an actress back then.  I did briefly check in when she returned to GH a few years ago (but not for long because soaps these days make me sad) and I felt similar problems that she had in this movie during her GH return as well. 

It could also be a problem in writing. I liked her in the nanny movie but I think that was a decently written movie with momentum. I think this show started with a good premise but was never really able to develop an interesting plot*.  Watching people plan for a wedding is okay only if the dialogue is super funny or interesting. It was neither. I was just left thinking about how happy she looked at her "engagement" party less than an hour after getting dumped.  But they did have nice chemistry during their dance so chemistry wasn't an issue.  Finding appropriate ways to highlight it were. It also seemed strange when she was so surprised to hear he loved her even though he told her as much already.

I think the "it looks old" opinion is funny to me because we've also seen complaints about Hallmark movies being too "young."  I would say most of the stars of these movies are in their 30s with some in their 20s and others in their 40s.  I will watch next week.  The age of the duo doesn't bother me but I am a little worried that it'll be more on the melodramatic side like the Jennie Garth movie that aired recently.

I do have to say that I think you might underestimate the appearl shows like Golden Girls have on younger viewers.  It's crazy how popular they are with younger viewers.

Since good chemistry is such a hard thing for Hallmark movies to find, I don't care if I see good leads more than once if it increases the opportunity to have chem in the movies.  I think Erin and Niall have potential.

*Plot.  This is why the mysteries have had a leg up with me lately. I think they take more care with plot and follow a series of events starting with Point A to B to C....to Z.  I feel like the romance movies tend to jump around nonsensically and skip a view steps.  They start at Point A then go to M then back to D and next step is Plot W---Wedding.  As a result, I think a series like Murder She Baked or Signed, Sealed, Delivered also happen to be doing romance better. Granted, they do get multiple installments to develop the romance but it helps that falling in love is the backdrop to the main plot while the scenario is the romcom movies is used as a backdrop to the two main characters falling in love.

I've definitely seen the comments made about the movies seeming too young.  I'm not the one making those comments, however.

Lori Loughlin and Brooke Shields are in their 50s.  Lisa Whelchel and Nicollette Sheridan are in also in their 50s.  Candace Cameron Bure, Danica McKellar, Vanessa Marcil, Josie Bissett and Alicia Witt -- all 40-something.  Lacey Chabert, Fiona Gubelmann, Erin Krakow and Katrina Law are all 30-something (although the last time I checked Katrina Law's age, the number was several years higher than it is now!  Lol).  Shenae Grimes-Beech, Jessica Lowndes and Alexa PenaVega are all in their 20s.  There is a good mix of ages represented in the movies on the channel within the 20-50 range.  Under 20 and above 55, the field gets a bit more narrow.

While you may think I am underestimating the appeal of the old series, there is no denying that the Hallmark demographic and viewer base skews older.  They are not putting those ancient shows on the air to attract younger viewers.  Younger viewers may happen to enjoy them, but they are not putting Little House on the Prairie on the channel to attract younger viewers.  They are putting Shenae Grimes-Beech and Alexa PenaVega in movies to attract younger viewers.

We will agree to disagree -- I didn't see the fantastic chemistry that everyone else saw in Stop the Wedding, and I don't want to see the same lead actor or actress in two brand new Christmas movies for the same channel in the same year.  (I could have done without Lacey's Family for Christmas last year.)  A wedding movie and a Christmas movie -- fine.  A wedding movie, a Fall Harvest movie and a Christmas movie -- great.  But two starring roles in two new Hallmark Christmas movies in 2016 is too much for me.  And if Niall were an actor you did not take to after Stop the Wedding, you would think that two new Christmas movies starring Niall in the same year was too much too!  Lol. 

2 hours ago, emjohnson03 said:

That is true! I am in a younger demographic so I do see them as more old, and usually I don't mind. And you are right, they need variety with the ages because romance doesn't have an age to it. You are right in thinking that it could be more serious because it's older. It's just crazy to see these 2 on a show in the early 90's and now they are in a film together so many years later (still looking great) but beyond their young, hip selves!

And yes, so true about The Golden Girls attracting younger people. Oh my is that show always hilarious and still relevant.  

I think that Jack Wagner is best when he is allowed to be a bit funny.  He has a natural sense of humor and timing that works well, but when he has to suppress it and be too serious it can go awry!  If The Wedding March doesn't allow him to ever be even slightly amusing, then it could go wrong.

1 hour ago, twoods said:

Yeah the leads are old in Wedding March but I'm not tuning in because it looks so melodramatic and boring. I do tend to gravitate to movies that have younger looking leads but a lot of the current leads are in their 40's but look younger. 

Convenient Groom's editing was choppy as hell. We got a quick boat scene but no cute scene of them bonding on the boat- just of her after feeling sick then later him looking googly eyed at her. Something must have happened on the boat before she got sick but they cut it. Then there is a 2 second scene of her wearing the wedding dress and being happy- it cut to commercial so quickly. Hope the director is better at other movies because he/she really dropped the ball on this one. 

I want to watch the Wish List again because David and Jennifer Esposito were pretty great and had terrific chemistry. David really does make a pretty terrific Hallmark lead. Can't believe this is the same guy I couldn't stand on Gilmore Girls.

I love what people consider to be "old" these days!  Lol.  Too funny.  It used to be that "old" was just associated with actual senior citizens, not people in their 40s and 50s.

The director of The Convenient Groom -- David Winning -- is the same guy who directed Unleashing Mr. Darcy, Tulips in Spring and the upcoming December Bride.

The Wish List was shown several weeks ago, and Hallmark only runs it once or twice each year, sadly.  It is available on PixL's YouTube Channel.  I loved that movie, and David Sutcliffe was great in it!

I'm in my mid-30s and I love the golden girls.  I always watch when re-runs are played. 

I enjoyed the movie and thought the leads had decent chemistry.  I'm a fan of Vanessa , so her special tics/affectations didn't bother me.  I did got distracted that in some scenes her faced looked fine and in others it looked really puffy.  She's such a beautiful woman and I hope she doesn't mess with her face.  I thought her character was a little annoying and the ending was really rushed.  I'm not too familiar with David prior to this movie, but he certainly has an appeal about him.

32 minutes ago, Sherry67 said:

I've definitely seen the comments made about the movies seeming too young.  I'm not the one making those comments, however.

No.  And I never meant to imply you were.  I just quoted you to continue the convo. And strangely, whether or not a movie looks old actually depends very little to me on the ages of the actors in it.  With Lisa, I think a movie feels old.  But with Brenda Strong, it doesn't.  (In fact, I was looking for the December-May romance back then.)  Jack Wagner?  Kind of older.  Maybe it's because he's trying so hard to look young.  But Josie?  I don't think she feels old to me.  What really feels old is when they have older stars acting out the problems I'd only find believable in younger adults without much life experience.

While you may think I am underestimating the appeal of the old series, there is no denying that the Hallmark demographic and viewer base skews older.  They are not putting those ancient shows on the air to attract younger viewers. 

No. I just think they air them because they still attract real time viewers.  Just last week a TV critic pointed out that I Love Lucy and Little House had more live viewers than Orphan Back on Thursday.  Pretty incredible.

And if Niall were an actor you did not take to after Stop the Wedding, you would think that two new Christmas movies starring Niall in the same year was too much too! 

That's true.  But really, if I think an actor or actress exhibts personality, I'm all for having more of them even if they didn't have chemistry with a prior lead. 

• Love 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, Sherry67 said:

As for my thoughts on The Convenient Groom—as I knew I would, I liked David Sutcliffe.  That was a given for me, pretty much. Vanessa seemed like the Vanessa that I am used to. She has a certain, specific affect when speaking, and I think that people either don't notice it or are bothered by it.

I'd never seen Vanessa Marcil in anything before, but her vocal fry* was annoying. And some of her line readings were so bad, I'd pause the show just to mock them.

*Realized after posting that some may not know what I mean by "vocal fry." It's creaky Kardashian speak:

Edited by editorgrrl
Added a brief video about vocal fry.
2 hours ago, DkNNy79 said:

I'm in my mid-30s and I love the golden girls.  I always watch when re-runs are played. 

I enjoyed the movie and thought the leads had decent chemistry.  I'm a fan of Vanessa , so her special tics/affectations didn't bother me.  I did got distracted that in some scenes her faced looked fine and in others it looked really puffy.  She's such a beautiful woman and I hope she doesn't mess with her face.  I thought her character was a little annoying and the ending was really rushed.  I'm not too familiar with David prior to this movie, but he certainly has an appeal about him.

She messed with her face awhile ago. The puffy cheeks are cheek implants. Though she likes to call it lyme disease.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, In2You said:

She messed with her face awhile ago. The puffy cheeks are cheek implants. Though she likes to call it lyme disease

Oh wow, that's ridiculous to call it Lyme disease when it was bad plastic surgery. We can see you and we are not stupid!! I thought I'd like the movie because of the actors. David cause he's usually pretty charming (although I can't stand him in Gilmore Girls...separate rant) and Vanessa from when I used to watch General Hospital. He was decent in this, although the script was failing him. She was not good. She was just not believable. I admit I was SO distracted by her "Lyme disease", also know as plastic surgery, but that was not the only thing I had issue with in her performance. I just remember how freaking beautiful I thought she was, and to see how yet another gorgeous woman has ruined her face was upsetting. I agree with the others who said that editing seemed choppy and odd. Not a movie I'd watch again.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Sherry67 said:

The director of The Convenient Groom -- David Winning -- is the same guy who directed Unleashing Mr. Darcy, Tulips in Spring and the upcoming December Bride.

The Wish List was shown several weeks ago, and Hallmark only runs it once or twice each year, sadly.  It is available on PixL's YouTube Channel.  I loved that movie, and David Sutcliffe was great in it!

No wonder- I hated those above movies so figures the same director was in charge of this one. Guess I will skip December Bride.

I really need to subscribe to PixL channel...

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Just popping in here to echo this comment. The Golden Girls has a huge following among viewers in their 20s and 30s. And I suspect you could probably say the same of I Love Lucy as well, actually.

• Love 2
(edited)

I love watching The Golden Girls because I enjoy the show and watching it makes me think of my Nana. She watched it when it originally aired and I'd watch it with her sometimes.

I watched the Murder She Baked movie that aired earlier and I missed what they ended up naming the baby at the end. AS drove me crazy the last few years she was on DAYS so I tried avoiding watching her movies for awhile except for Love on the Air which I really enjoyed. I haven't been able to make it through that first Murder She Baked movie without falling asleep and I've tried watching it a few times. The ones after that one have seemed better though.

The latest Aurora Teagarden movie came on right after it and I thought I the guy flirting with Roe was Yannick Bisson so I decided to look on IMDB to make sure. I remembered him from a show in the 90's called High Tide where he played Rick Springfield's brother. I never watched the series he seems to have been in for a long time called Murdoch Mysteries/The Artful Detective. I know he's older now but I thought his face (mainly his eye area) looked weird in the movie like something more then getting older has been going on. It seems like when some guys start to fiddle with the area around their eyes it gives off a feminine look if that makes sense. It probably doesn't though and I apologize ahead of time for that.

Sometimes I wonder if it's more then makeup and lighting making people in some of these Hallmark Movies look younger after looking up their ages. It made me think of those Vaseline on the lens or pantyhose over the lens tricks that were used to make things look softer. 

I lean towards enjoying some of the mystery movies more then the themed ones on the regular Hallmark channel. The wedding movies drive me crazy due to how fast some of the couples get married. With a lot of them I always end up thinking I'd enjoy them more if the weddings hadn't happened. I agree with what's been mentioned already in this thread about the writing, editing and etc. not helping much with some of these movies due to how fast they crank them out. I watch older ones when they air and some of them are a lot better then most of what they come up with now. There are a few newer ones that I think can stand the test of time then others that seem line one and done movies.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 1
(edited)
15 hours ago, Rick Kitchen said:

Is December Bride a remake of the original, or a new movie with the same title?

I assumed someone would have answered you, but they didn't -- so here I am! 

It's a new movie with the same name.  The upcoming movie, December Bride, is based on the book by Denise Hunter called A December Bride.  Denise Hunter also wrote the book upon which this past Saturday's movie, The Convenient Groom, was based (although the story was changed quite a bit when it was adapted for TV).  David Winning is the director behind both of them.  December Bride, the new movie, stars Jessica Lowndes (one of the 90210 reboot actors) and Daniel Lissing (star of Hallmark's When Calls the Heart).

By the way -- and I know twoods once mentioned this -- am I the only one who still has trouble removing a quote when I accidentally click the option to quote someone I don't want to quote?  Several times I have either accidentally clicked on a quote and didn't want to quote that person, OR I planned to quote them and then changed my mind.  I can't remove the quotes from the text boxes.  The only way I can get rid of them is if I switch to a different browser and sign in again.  On the old version of this website, it was easy to remove a quote before posting, but now I don't see a way to do it.  Even if we can get rid of the actual text, the person's name is still there so it looks like we are quoting them.

Edited by Sherry67
(edited)

I posted about the problem with the removal of the quote box in the bugs thread, and David told me to click on the frame of the quote so that you can see the handle in the upper left hand corner, and then press the Delete button on your keyboard.

Edited by Rick Kitchen
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Rick Kitchen said:

I posted about the problem with the removal of the quote box in the bugs thread, and David told me to click on the frame of the quote so that you can see the handle in the upper left hand corner, and then press the Delete button on your keyboard.

Ahhh, yes... now I see.  Thank you!  I had previously tried a variation of that tactic, but apparently I wasn't clicking on exactly the right spot to delete the entire box, and it never worked.  I tried it again now, but this time I clicked on the very specific spot in the upper left and it worked.  I tried it with 2 different quotes.

(edited)

I don't know... watching Jack and Josie together in this interview, it's clear they have an easy, comfortable dynamic between them because they have known each other for so long (although apparently had not seen each other in a long time).  They're cute together, and I hope this chemistry carries through to the movie.

http://www.hallmarkchannel.com/home-and-family/tuesday-june-21st-2016

Edited by Sherry67
Had to change links!
  • Love 1

Netflix and Prime wasn't working so I had to resort to the DVR for my nightly tv fix. I forgot how pleasant All Things Valentine was. The leads had an easy chemistry and were good actors. Would love to see them in a Christmas movie, especially Sam Page. He is so easy on the eyes and a pretty decent actor. 

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, twoods said:

Netflix and Prime wasn't working so I had to resort to the DVR for my nightly tv fix. I forgot how pleasant All Things Valentine was. The leads had an easy chemistry and were good actors. Would love to see them in a Christmas movie, especially Sam Page. He is so easy on the eyes and a pretty decent actor. 

I really liked that one as well.  Not only did I like the fact that were doing Valentine-specific things, but I also liked the ex-girlfriend's conflict about basically dumping him and then kind of wanting him back after she thought about it. 

I think that Sam's last Hallmark Christmas movie was Annie Claus is Coming to Town (one of the sillier movie titles out there).

Taylor Cole -- she is the absolutely stunning blonde who was in Appetite for Love with Andrew Walker back in February -- is now a brunette and is starring in A Summer to Remember with Jack (Jaxon) Turner.  I am guessing we will see that in August.

Lauren Holly is also in A Summer to Remember.

• Love 2

I did not like Annie Claus at all- the lead actress was not working for me. Speaking of Christmas...because I saw All Things Valentine I remembered how much I liked the actress in Nine Lives of Christmas so watching that now. I just don't understand how there can be some good movies on the same channel as a whole lot of clunkers. I guess I should be happy that there are a few movies I can enjoy watching over and over again- better than nothing.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, twoods said:

I did not like Annie Claus at all- the lead actress was not working for me. Speaking of Christmas...because I saw All Things Valentine I remembered how much I liked the actress in Nine Lives of Christmas so watching that now. I just don't understand how there can be some good movies on the same channel as a whole lot of clunkers. I guess I should be happy that there are a few movies I can enjoy watching over and over again- better than nothing.

The other mystifying thing is that some of the clunkers or the 'okay, but not great' movies are written and directed by some of the same folks responsible for the winners!

I love Nine Lives of Christmas -- it's definitely one of my favorites.   Kimberly Sustad does not seem to do a lot of these movies, or she is not as frequently seen as so many other actors.  I could be wrong, and maybe I am missing something somewhere, but I think she has only been in 3 Hallmark movies -- the 2 you mentioned and also A Bride for Christmas (she played Arielle Kebbel's sister and business partner).  In only one out of 3 movies did she get to play the leading lady.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, twoods said:

That lead actress doesnt appeal to me. I didnt like her in Annie Claus so I skipped her Christmas movie last year.

(edited)
45 minutes ago, twoods said:

She was in another Christmas movie last year? Didn't know that.

Maria Thayer wasn't in one that I am aware of.  She hasn't done another Christmas movie for Hallmark since Annie Claus....  Maybe she was in something for another channel?

Edited by Sherry67
(edited)

So, previously I mentioned the new Hallmark movie in the works (and showed a couple of photos), A Summer to Remember (with Jack Turner, Taylor Cole, Lauren Holly and Marina Sirtis).  That will likely get a name change -- Taylor tagged My Summer Prince in one of her photos, so I have a feeling that might be the new title.

Also in the works right now is:

Relevant, with Debbie Gibson (yes, that Debbie Gibson) and Marcus Rosner (who was in Appetite for Love with the aforementioned Taylor Cole, as well as A Christmas Detour with Candace Cameron Bure, etc.).  I have no idea if they are romantically involved in the movie, or if there is another actor matched up with Debbie.

I'm sure the title will be changed from Relevant to something more seasonal.

And, from Marcus' Twitter account --

I thought this movie would be debuting in the summer, but it looks like it's a fall movie.

Edited to add -- It looks like actor Ken Tremblett is the lead.  Marcus must be a supporting actor.

Edited by Sherry67

Oh I remember Annie Claus is Coming to Town. I gave it a try because of Maria Thayer. I loved her as Tammy Littlenut in Strangers with Candy. If only Jerri Blank made appearance in Annie Claus... Though that would have been a whole different kind of movie.

I was never a fan of All Things Valentine. I did give it a try when it first aired. I have never been fond of Sarah Rafferty. I used to like Sam Page, because he would pop up in all sorts of things, but ever since he was Dr. Rapist on Mad Men I have a hard time not associating him with that character. 

11 hours ago, twoods said:

She was in another Christmas movie last year? Didn't know that.

Whoops I was confusing her with another red haired actress I also don't care for Alicia Witt.

21 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

I was never a fan of All Things Valentine. I did give it a try when it first aired. I have never been fond of Sarah Rafferty. I used to like Sam Page, because he would pop up in all sorts of things, but ever since he was Dr. Rapist on Mad Men I have a hard time not associating him with that character. 

It's funny.  Everyone says that about Sam Page but I never associate him with Dr. Rapist even though I remember Greg.  I do, however, think of how everyone else thinks of him as Dr. Rapist whenever I see him in something. 

• Love 1