Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

@BlueSkies Sometimes it’s the puzzle, not the person. Hope you have a less ominous day going forward!

My peeve: I didn’t pace myself with my pannetone from Costco. IMG_6995.thumb.jpeg.3a31d530a3ce29d7608e30ab63bea023.jpeg

It’s one of my favorite Christmas treats. No one else likes them so it’s always mine. 

Now I got to work in a Costco run, lol

Edited by stewedsquash
Pic
  • Like 5
  • LOL 2
25 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

@BlueSkies Sometimes it’s the puzzle, not the person. Hope you have a less ominous day going forward!

My peeve: I didn’t pace myself with my pannetone from Costco. IMG_6995.thumb.jpeg.3a31d530a3ce29d7608e30ab63bea023.jpeg

It’s one of my favorite Christmas treats. No one else likes them so it’s always mine. 

Now I got to work in a Costco run, lol

It's funny you mention that.  Love Panettone this time of year.  

I mentioned it an earlier post....  I was in Italian store and saw it but passed on it as I'm pre-diabetic 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 3
  • Love 2

My television has developed an ominous black fuzzy line along the right side of the screen.  It doesn't quite reach the top and bottom, and looks like someone just took a small paintbrush and swiped a line along the edge.

I'm assuming this means my TV is not much longer for this world, and I should start shopping soon.

• Sad 7
10 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

My television has developed an ominous black fuzzy line along the right side of the screen.  It doesn't quite reach the top and bottom, and looks like someone just took a small paintbrush and swiped a line along the edge.

I'm assuming this means my TV is not much longer for this world, and I should start shopping soon.

I'm so sorry. Both our bedroom tv and our living room tv died within a week of each other recently. New tvs are an unmitigated pain in the ass to set up.

• Sad 6
11 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Are all TV's now these big rectangles?  We have one square TV left. It sits in a beautiful mahogany cabinet in our living room. Just hope it stays healthy so I don't have to get rid of the cabinet (& then have a big rectangle in the room 😡)

Yep.  They don't make tube TVs anymore.  We've had flatscreens since we got married in 2010.  

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
35 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Are all TV's now these big rectangles?

Yes, it's the proper aspect ratio; the distinction between movie ratio and TV ratio largely eroded when most things, not just film, started being shot widescreen.  (Although I've read the old 4:3 [square] ratio is enjoying niche comeback.) 

I remember during the laserdisc era, even though the TVs were still largely square, it was important to get the letterbox version of a film if you wanted to see it as it was meant to be seen, not the pan and scan we were used to from VHS.  That's when I realized how much of the image was lost when I watched a film on TV instead of in a movie theatre.

I still have one old square TV, but it's by far my least-used one (and will eventually be replaced, even though, yes, that means getting rid of the custom entertainment center in which it sits); I just have it on for background noise sometimes in that room.  If I'm sitting (or lying) down to watch something, it's on one of the big TVs. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

I think I'm going to struggle finding a TV small enough for my house -- it's not quite 1000 sq ft. Everything seems to be made for much larger spaces!  I know I struggled finding a sofa small enough without getting a loveseat or chofa.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
4 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I think I'm going to struggle finding a TV small enough for my house -- it's not quite 1000 sq ft. Everything seems to be made for much larger spaces!  I know I struggled finding a sofa small enough without getting a loveseat or chofa.

32” is probably as small as you can get.  Is there a wall you can mount it on?

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
6 minutes ago, PRgal said:

32” is probably as small as you can get.  Is there a wall you can mount it on?

Not really.  The main room is kind of an odd shape.  I think my current TV is maybe 20"?  I'm not sure!  But maybe if I have a slightly larger one, I'll be able to read the on-screen guide without squinting...  

It's just annoying.  And now is simultaneously the best and worst time to have to shop for anything.  Sales!  Crowds!

• Like 4
14 minutes ago, PRgal said:

32” is probably as small as you can get.

A quick search showed a few 24" options and even a 19" (I thought for sure that was just a monitor, but nope).  But, yeah, 32" is the smallest size more widely available.

I'm fine with my 24" monitor (and had a 19" one for years, although in hindsight I have no idea how I lasted that long) because I'm sitting right in front of it, but no way could I watch a TV that size -- even with glasses, I can't properly see something that small from a distance.

• Like 5
15 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Not really.  The main room is kind of an odd shape.  I think my current TV is maybe 20"?  I'm not sure!  But maybe if I have a slightly larger one, I'll be able to read the on-screen guide without squinting...  

It's just annoying.  And now is simultaneously the best and worst time to have to shop for anything.  Sales!  Crowds!

My husband lived in a 600 square foot condo before we got married and he actually had a 32" (that was the one we had in our bedroom when we first got married).  He had it on a stand in the corner of the living space.  

• Like 3
58 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Maybe you just need to watch on your laptop or tablet? Or check out local thrift shops or buy nothing/ freecycle groups on facebook or whatever is the thing now, to see if anyone is getting rid of something they’ve upgraded from? Do you need a smart tv, or just one that has at least one hdmi port where you can plug in a firestick, chromecast , or whatever?

19 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Maybe you just need to watch on your laptop or tablet? Or check out local thrift shops or buy nothing/ freecycle groups on facebook or whatever is the thing now, to see if anyone is getting rid of something they’ve upgraded from? Do you need a smart tv, or just one that has at least one hdmi port where you can plug in a firestick, chromecast , or whatever?

I have Dish (and like it), so I need an actual TV.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

New tvs are an unmitigated pain in the ass to set up.

My husband outsources that task to me. He walks away and says to let him know when it’s time to be shown which buttons to push to operate it. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I, too, had a favorite piece of furniture that housed an old box TV. I carefully measured the width of the hole, then took my tape measure to the store, which had dozens of sizes on display. Ignore the screen sizes on the box. Just find the widest unit that will fit in the hole. Modern TVs have a much slimmer frame. Because HD TVs are so much clearer, I can see my newer TV much better, from the same distance and location. Since the newer TV is not as tall as the space, I built and stained a "shelf" for the TV to sit on. It lifts the screen to the top of the niche and makes the whole thing look custom. I use the space below as horizontal storage for a few oversized art books.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1

Having Christmas gift expectations sprung on me a week or two before the day when I’m already behind on family gifts. I got to choir practice last night and an envelope was being passed around so we could get a gift for the director. It’s not that I have a huge problem with giving him a gift (although I don’t entirely agree with it*), but I never have the cash right at the moment the gift organizer expects it, and it makes me feel weird when everyone else is prepared to contribute on the spot and I feel as if someone is judging me for passing the envelope along.

*I don’t like the idea of buying gifts for someone who is a boss at work or otherwise the director of a group. I once worked in a place where buying a gift for the boss on Boss’s Day and giving her birthday and Christmas presents was also expected. (One of those things where you’re told it’s not mandatory but it actually is.) It was so awkward and uncomfortable and I didn’t even like working there that much for other reasons. I’m glad I got out, and thankfully since then, I have never worked anywhere where you had to buy a gift for your boss. 

• Like 3

I finally ran out of old C-7 bulbs for my Christmas tree lights, so after I selected my tree yesterday, I went in to get a strand of LED lights (I just get a 3-4 ft. noble fir, as it sits on a table, so one strand has always done it).  A series of peeves commenced: 

That store didn't have any C-7 lights.  Next store didn't have anything.  Third had C-7, but incandescent, not LED.  They had LED in C-6, which I'd have been fine with, but no multi-colored strands, just all white, all red, etc. and that's a hard pass for me.  They had C-9 LED, multi-colored, so I bought that so I'd at least have something should I not be able to find what I wanted.  The fourth store had multi-colored C-6 so I bought that, and would decide after I got the tree in the stand which size to use.

I decided to go with the C-6, but once I put them on the tree, I discovered I was an idiot not to have checked the strand length, as they now come far shorter than they did way back when my old lights were purchased (which was before I was born, as they were my grandparents').  Okay, I've got one strand a size smaller than I want and one a size larger than I want, so let me just put the C-6 strand on top, the C-9 on the bottom, that's good enough for this year.  Except it turned out the C-9 strand doesn't work; I figured it was just a bad fuse, but nope.  I can't see any damage, but there must be a short somewhere, and I'm not spending time working on something I just bought.  So I had to go back to the fourth store - which, thankfully, as I had been making my way from the place I bought my tree to home, stopping along the way in this lighting quest, is close by - to get a second strand of C-6.  (Also thankfully, the third store is close to the house of a friend I'll be visiting Thursday night, so it will be convenient to return the C-9.)

I got the tree decorated, then opened up a package that included a few additional Christmas decorations.  They were from a catalog, so I could wind up disappointed, but I loved them, especially a piece of wall art for my bathroom.  Except in hanging that up, I knocked one of my favorite decorations off the shelf below it and multiple pieces of it broke off.  Okay, not great, but it should look fine super-glued back together.  Except, my super glue is all dried up.  Of course it is, because no matter which brand I get, and no matter how careful I am with the cap, that shit always dries up, and I'm never smart enough to buy two at a time, so I'll always have an unopened one ready to go.  I'm not running out just for glue, so I have this broken thing tucked away in my drawer until I pick some up Thursday while returning the lights, and its absence from the shelf is irritating me still today.  I think I'll put what remains up there and call it abstract until I can glue the missing pieces back on.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 5
4 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I finally ran out of old C-7 bulbs for my Christmas tree lights, so after I selected my tree yesterday, I went in to get a strand of LED lights (I just get a 3-4 ft. noble fir, as it sits on a table, so one strand has always done it).  A series of peeves commenced: 

That store didn't have any C-7 lights.  Next store didn't have anything.  Third had C-7, but incandescent, not LED.  They had LED in C-6, which I'd have been fine with, but no multi-colored strands, just all white, all red, etc. and that's a hard pass for me.  They had C-9 LED, multi-colored, so I bought that so I'd at least have something should I not be able to find what I wanted.  The fourth store had multi-colored C-6 so I bought that, and would decide after I got the tree in the stand which size to use.

I decided to go with the C-6, but once I put them on the tree, I discovered I was an idiot not to have checked the strand length, as they now come far shorter than they did way back when my old lights were purchased (which was before I was born, as they were my grandparents').  Okay, I've got one strand a size smaller than I want and one a size larger than I want, so let me just put the C-6 strand on top, the C-9 on the bottom, that's good enough for this year.  Except it turned out the C-9 strand doesn't work; I figured it was just a bad fuse, but nope.  I can't see any damage, but there must be a short somewhere, and I'm not spending time working on something I just bought.  So I had to go back to the fourth store - which, thankfully, as I had been making my way from the place I bought my tree to home, stopping along the way in this lighting quest, is close by - to get a second strand of C-6.  (Also thankfully, the third store is close to the house of a friend I'll be visiting Thursday night, so it will be convenient to return the C-9.)

I got the tree decorated, then opened up a package that included a few additional Christmas decorations.  They were from a catalog, so I could wind up disappointed, but I loved them, especially a piece of wall art for my bathroom.  Except in hanging that up, I knocked one of my favorite decorations off the shelf below it and multiple pieces of it broke off.  Okay, not great, but it should look fine super-glued back together.  Except, my super glue is all dried up.  Of course it is, because no matter which brand I get, and no matter how careful I am with the cap, that shit always dries up, and I'm never smart enough to buy two at a time, so I'll always have an unopened one ready to go.  I'm not running out just for glue, so I have this broken thing tucked away in my drawer until I pick some up Thursday while returning the lights, and its absence from the shelf is irritating me still today.  I think I'll put what remains up there and call it abstract until I can glue the missing pieces back on.

Good lord! What a saga. You've had a hell of a time and I salute your determination!

• Like 5
1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Not to solve your peeve, but they make super glue in single-use teeny little tubes, like 6 or 8 to a package.  It's our super glue of choice now.

Perfect!  I didn't see that last time I was in need of super glue, but clearly that's what I need.

6 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Good lord! What a saga. You've had a hell of a time and I salute your determination!

If it had happened after I'd worked a full day, I'd have thrown in the towel, but I'd knocked off early to be able to tree shop just before it got dark so I was willing to run around like that.  And after not being able to muster up the energy to get a tree or put out a single decoration last year, I was bound and determined to see it through this year.

• Like 5
On 12/10/2023 at 2:17 PM, annzeepark914 said:

Are all TV's now these big rectangles?  We have one square TV left. It sits in a beautiful mahogany cabinet in our living room. Just hope it stays healthy so I don't have to get rid of the cabinet (& then have a big rectangle in the room 😡)

You just might have to call Geek Squad in.  These new Smart TVs are a pita.  Our Son had to set them up.  Very confusing unless you and hubby are technical.   You can put the new tv on top of your cabinet.

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, kristen111 said:

You just might have to call Geek Squad in.  These new Smart TVs are a pita.  Our Son had to set them up.  Very confusing unless you and hubby are technical.   You can put the new tv on top of your cabinet.

Wait what?  What issues were you having?  If you have an antenna, there’s a place to plug in it in and scan for channels. If you have cable or a streaming device, again, there would be a place to connect. If you want to use the smart tv features, the menu should direct you to connect to your WiFi. I honestly don’t understand what would be confusing compared to a 1900’s tv. 

editing because I hope that didn’t come across the wrong way. If you’re having issues with your smart tv, there likely could be folks here who could walk you through or help troubleshoot.  I realize that what’s obvious to me isn’t obvious to someone else, but we can help each other. 

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Like 6

This is just something I've been feeling of late: heavy nostalgia for how my life was.

I know when one goes to college and works and what not they are supposed to meet new people, learn new things, travel, etc...  I guess maybe see the World is a bigger place than the community you grew up in.  But at the same time a lot of days I feel how simple things were back in the day and things kind of weren't as bad as I thought.  I mean middle and high school used to feel like jail to me but I kind of miss those days now.  

• Like 1
  • Hugs 4
8 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

You may know this already, but the Peacock app has a bazillion seasons of Dateline! Not the one I have been wanting, but a ton.

I know but the episodes are too long. 

I am trying to see snapped when I’m able.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

This is just something I've been feeling of late: heavy nostalgia for how my life was. 

I've been in that kind of mood for quite awhile now. I keep seeing 90's nostalgia pages and public groups on my Facebook feed. Depending on what's posted I remember things I had forgotten or something makes me times in my life that I wish I could go back to. The other day I saw a post about Trapper Keepers which are apparently being sold in stores again (not sure if they ever stopped actually) which made me think of the fun folders I used to like to get to put inside them while back to school shopping with my Mom. I loved Lisa Frank stuff especially the big or little cat themed ones.

I started feeling nostalgic a lot more after turning 40 I think due to the realization of how old I was, that I made it to that age and feeling like I haven't been alive that long. It doesn't feel like those days I'm reminded of were so long ago. 

One of my ongoing peeves has been about what my life may have been like had more been known about higher functioning autism when I was young especially how different some signs of it are in girls/women. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I've been in that kind of mood for quite awhile now. I keep seeing 90's nostalgia pages and public groups on my Facebook feed. Depending on what's posted I remember things I had forgotten or something makes me times in my life that I wish I could go back to. The other day I saw a post about Trapper Keepers which are apparently being sold in stores again (not sure if they ever stopped actually) which made me think of the fun folders I used to like to get to put inside them while back to school shopping with my Mom. I loved Lisa Frank stuff especially the big or little cat themed ones.

I started feeling nostalgic a lot more after turning 40 I think due to the realization of how old I was, that I made it to that age and feeling like I haven't been alive that long. It doesn't feel like those days I'm reminded of were so long ago. 

One of my ongoing peeves has been about what my life may have been like had more been known about higher functioning autism when I was young especially how different some signs of it are in girls/women. 

I know it gets diagnosed like 4 times more in men.  I think it gets under diagnosed in women because like per say a real quiet withdrawn/girl might strike as more than normal than a withdrawn/quiet boy.  Different sets of rules from the genders as kids.

Yeah I think it's easy when you look back what you might now know to the 1990s and be like this was the greatest time to be alive.  That's what I'm feeling 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 12/13/2023 at 6:55 PM, oliviabenson said:

True crime and comedy and adult animation 

I was hoping to have a recommendation for you, but my favorites are British police procedurals and mysteries, baking & cake decorating competitions and lately I been binging on a slew of standup comedian specials on Netflix.  I seldom find them funny, but often interesting.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Suzn said:

I was hoping to have a recommendation for you, but my favorites are British police procedurals and mysteries, baking & cake decorating competitions and lately I been binging on a slew of standup comedian specials on Netflix.  I seldom find them funny, but often interesting.

Sign me up for the British procedurals and mysteries.

• Like 5
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, Suzn said:

I was hoping to have a recommendation for you, but my favorites are British police procedurals and mysteries

I LOVE British police procedurals and mysteries.  So much better than American ones(I say this as an American).  Less guns, car chases and bomb plots.

• Like 7
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, partofme said:

I LOVE British police procedurals and mysteries.  So much better than American ones(I say this as an American).  Less guns, car chases and bomb plots.

My favorites (there are so many)- Inspector Morse, Prime Suspect, Midsomer Murders, Vera, Luther and Maigret.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, partofme said:

And add that women do not need to be young and glamorous!

1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

My favorites (there are so many)- Inspector Morse, Prime Suspect, Midsomer Murders, Vera, Luther and Maigret.

All great!  Vera and Shetland are my favorites...from Ann Cleves' books.  The books are wonderful too. As silly as it is, I have a fondness for Father Brown.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, Suzn said:

Yes, such a better variety of looks on British (and Australian) shows, especially for women.  In the first episode of the UK Ghosts, one of the ghosts is immediately besotted with Alison, the lead character, and my first thought was that the actor playing her would be cast as the dowdy sidekick on an American show.

2 hours ago, partofme said:

I agree -- it's still not my genre, but the British ones don't actively annoy or offend me in the ways most American ones do.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 2
38 minutes ago, Suzn said:

All great!  Vera and Shetland are my favorites...from Ann Cleves' books.  The books are wonderful too. As silly as it is, I have a fondness for Father Brown.

Love it! We watch Father Brown every Friday night on PBS.

• Love 1

I have tried 5 or 6 different Fitbit bands in various materials (stainless steel, fabric, silicone, some kind of stretchy thing), and every single one has caused relentless itching! What the hell? To be clear, my peeve is me, not each and every style of Fitbit band. Has anyone else with horrifically sensitive skin have any suggestions? 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I have tried 5 or 6 different Fitbit bands in various materials (stainless steel, fabric, silicone, some kind of stretchy thing), and every single one has caused relentless itching! What the hell? To be clear, my peeve is me, not each and every style of Fitbit band. Has anyone else with horrifically sensitive skin have any suggestions? 

The bands that come with it gave me a terrible rash. I bought a replacement band also gave me a rash.

I have no idea what band would not give me a problem.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1
On 12/14/2023 at 8:01 PM, Suzn said:

I’ve been watching and loving British shows for. years. Binge watch so many. Some good New  Zealand ones too . I also just watched Jim Gaffigan’s special on Netflix and found it very  funny. I’ve seen in him person and now he’s a little edger. Since I saw Nate Bargatze on SNL watched his special too, previously never heard of him. I’d love to see Sebastian Maniscalco  in person but tickets were close to $400 near me. 

• Like 1
On 12/12/2023 at 4:17 AM, Cloud9Shopper said:

Having Christmas gift expectations sprung on me a week or two before the day when I’m already behind on family gifts. I got to choir practice last night and an envelope was being passed around so we could get a gift for the director. It’s not that I have a huge problem with giving him a gift (although I don’t entirely agree with it*), but I never have the cash right at the moment the gift organizer expects it, and it makes me feel weird when everyone else is prepared to contribute on the spot and I feel as if someone is judging me for passing the envelope along.. 

I think we've all been in this position, when we're unexpectedly asked for some cash.  I actually try to check that I have, say, a $1 and a $5 or a $10 with me when I leave the house because it seems to happen so often that I need an odd bit of cash.  Maybe I just lead a weird life?

Anyway, if I find myself without, I just look in my wallet, shrug, say I don't have any cash, sorry, and pass the envelope on.  If I'm with a friend, I'll ask them to throw in a couple of dollars for me.

• Like 3
On 12/12/2023 at 6:57 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

Not to solve your peeve, but they make super glue in single-use teeny little tubes, like 6 or 8 to a package.  It's our super glue of choice now.

I think in fact you just added to @Bastet's peeves by giving them the peeve of not having known about the teeny tiny super glue thingamajigs.  🤣

• LOL 4

On 12/8/2023 at 8:48 AM, TattleTeeny said:

Even this one?

I'm sorry! I am almost always with you on this, but this one made me actually laugh. But I especially hate the ones that try to be funny in a racy way -- they're always so cringe-inducing! It's not "ooooh, aren't you so bad!" and it's not clever and it's not funny. It's always the most obvious joke.
image.png.39f7d48cbc9d4243fefdce489a697840.png

I'm sorry, I don't get this.  Someone's going to have to explain it to me.  I'm not sure who it is or what the reference is with the wreath, etc.  🤷‍♀️

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 1