Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

31 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Ages ago I was in Florence with my daughter and brought her a leather backpack for about $100.

Years ago when I left my job to start globe trotting for my husband's job (no sacrifice to great!) the staff there gifted me with a black leather backpack - it's seen a lot of use over the years and still looks as good as the day it was given to me.  I don't know how much it cost, but now that I think about it, it must have been a pretty penny!

• Like 4
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

I have a Samsung. Easy peasy.

Samsung keeps sending me messages to upgrade. Not at that price. What I need a phone to do is make calls and allow me to use google maps, because I can get lost in a phone booth (do they have  those anymore?)

• Like 2
  • LOL 5
2 minutes ago, nokat said:

Samsung keeps sending me messages to upgrade. Not at that price. What I need a phone to do is make calls and allow me to use google maps, because I can get lost in a phone booth (do they have  those anymore?)

I just use mine for phone calls, texting and taking pictures. I don't go anywhere so I don't need a lot of internet functions.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
19 minutes ago, nokat said:

Google makes a phone - the Pixel - that I've read only good things about.  I think they come in somewhat inexpensive models...maybe?  Right now I have a Samsung Galaxy 10+ which I got a bit over 4 years ago and it's still going strong.  But when the time comes that I will need a new phone, I'm leaning strongly towards a Pixel. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
12 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Google makes a phone - the Pixel - that I've read only good things about.  I think they come in somewhat inexpensive models...maybe?  Right now I have a Samsung Galaxy 10+ which I got a bit over 4 years ago and it's still going strong.  But when the time comes that I will need a new phone, I'm leaning strongly towards a Pixel. 

I think that's going to be my next phone when T-Mobile has another sale.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

Now I need you to know, that I banged my head into a wall getting to the bathroom. I have a light on my phone. I'm not the sharpest crayon.

I also fell off a one inch sidewalk. Sober.

Edited by nokat
  • Hugs 6
1 hour ago, ebk57 said:

I have that phone and like it.

• Thanks 3
  • Useful 2

I just hung up on another caller offering to send me a "free" back or knee brace, paid for by Medicare. The call wasn't based on any medical records; the caller didn't even know my name! No, madam, the device is NOT free and your company does NOT care about my pain. Your company collects millions of dollars from Medicare for overpriced equipment and is one reason our taxes, health insurance and medical costs are so high. Get off my phone!

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Fire 2
58 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I just had  some Haagen Dazs coffee ice cream because @peacheslatour put the idea in my head lol. I had been ignoring that container for a while. 

Ha, I've got that in my freezer, too! It's too late tonight, but I'll have to remember it for tomorrow. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, emma675 said:

Ha, I've got that in my freezer, too! It's too late tonight, but I'll have to remember it for tomorrow. 

I know HD is supposed to be really good but their coffee flavor can't touch the Kroger store brand. I'm worried about what will happen to it now that Kroger has been sold.

image.png.f5d6d7df345b5b21cff03a474f7a10f5.png

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Useful 2
28 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I know HD is supposed to be really good but their coffee flavor can't touch the Kroger store brand. I'm worried about what will happen to it now that Kroger has been sold.

I wish I could try that.  We don't have Kroger in NYS.  Maybe someday while traveling.  Meanwhile, I assure you that I think HD is fantastic, and I'm not suffering.  i think we had a recent discussion about coffee ice cream in the food thread.  Someone else recommended a Maine brand. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
50 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

What? Who bought Kroger? Kroger bought Harris Teeter several years ago and HT is my main go-to supermarket 😶. ETA: as Emily Litella used to say, "Never mind".  Kroger merged with Albertsons.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Like 4
  • LOL 1

The only time I ever ate ice cream out of a carton was when I bought HD's coconut ice cream. MrP914 was working overseas so no one was around. I put a spoon into the container just to have a taste, see what it was like, and went back to watching TV. Did this two more times, just a spoonful, back to TV. And then I just grabbed the container and my spoon, plopped down on the couch and ate the whole thing. Unfortunately (or, maybe fortunately), HD stopped selling coconut ice cream--at least in my neck of the woods 🥴.

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
15 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

What? Who bought Kroger? Kroger bought Harris Teeter several years ago and HT is my main go-to supermarket 😶. ETA: as Emily Litella used to say, "Never mind".  Kroger merged with Albertsons.

New YorkCNN — 

Kroger and Albertsons are selling roughly 400 stores to Piggly Wiggly’s parent company in an attempt to win antitrust approval for the mega merger between the grocery stores.

C&S Wholesale Grocers will pay $1.9 billion, with the deal expected to close in early 2024 subject to regulatory approval, the company said in a statement. C&S, a privately held company, operates 500 grocery stores under the Piggly Wiggly and Grand Union banners and is also a major grocery wholesaler.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

Peeve:  the other week I had to buy some HD coffee ice cream for a birthday celebration.  The celebrant enjoys HD coffee as much as I do.  I had to go to 4 stores before I found some.  The first 3 stores had HD but no coffee flavor.  Oh, yeah, the Walgreens store had its freezer section completely inoperative that week. 

• Mind Blown 3

Piggly Wiggly 😁. When I lived in Raleigh, they still had a PW in the Five Points section of the city (near the wealthiest "Old Raleigh" homes). One day I stopped by on my way home from work. It was like stepping back into my childhood! Very old fashioned, small. It was like a miniature grocery store. The sign on the store has a happy, smiling pig on it.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I saw Piggly Wiggly stores for the first time driving through the South many years ago.  It seemed such a spot-on name for a Southern brand, and so funny to those of us coming from NYC. 

Yup.  One other stand out thing about the south--pimiento cheese sandwiches! They were/are everywhere.  Picnics, buffets at parties...even at elegant southern wedding receptions (that one really stunned me). I finally tried one, sitting at a lunch counter in an old-fashioned pharmacy next door to the Piggly Wiggly (complete with waitresses who could've been on a sitcom).  It was grilled and it was out of this world delicious! 

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I saw Piggly Wiggly stores for the first time driving through the South many years ago.  It seemed such a spot-on name for a Southern brand, and so funny to those of us coming from NYC. 

I only know it from Driving Miss Daisy.

image.png.c897ad0418b784086b5fb3e603134514.png

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

One other stand out thing about the south--pimiento cheese sandwiches!

I'd heard of these reading a mystery novel series by Anne George that was set in the south.  Haven't tried them yet!  Another food item mentioned in her series that intrigued me were orange rolls, which I did get a chance to have when we went to Florida years ago.  They did not disappoint!

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

I love me a Piggly Wiggly! They used to have them near me in Texas but it's been years since it closed down. They have a really good prepackaged food section with barbecue chicken, potato salad, veggies, etc. 

@Laura Holt are you reading the Southern Sisters mystery series? I adore that series.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
Just now, emma675 said:

@Laura Holt are you reading the Southern Sisters mystery series? I adore that series.

YES!  She was a wonderful writer and I loved Patricia Anne and Mary Alice.  Unlike a lot of these kinds of series IMO each book was a gem.  Ok to make this peeve related: my pet peeve is when I find a wonderful series and then it ends (sadly in this case due to the author's death) before I'm ready to move on.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Anne George was an outstanding writer. You really can envision each scene and the characters in it. Whenever I buy a rotisserie chicken for supper I think of Patricia Anne 🤗

As a southerner I was all 😳 the first time Tasty Kakes became available here. I looked behind me to see if Ranger was lurking in the aisle.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Yup.  One other stand out thing about the south--pimiento cheese sandwiches! They were/are everywhere.  Picnics, buffets at parties...even at elegant southern wedding receptions (that one really stunned me). I finally tried one, sitting at a lunch counter in an old-fashioned pharmacy next door to the Piggly Wiggly (complete with waitresses who could've been on a sitcom).  It was grilled and it was out of this world delicious! 

I don't yuk on other people's yums but my peeve about pimento cheese is that it was so prevalent when I was in GA that it would be used as spread on various "southern" sandwiches without being indicated, which wouldn't be an issue other than the fact I'm randomly allergic to pimento. No other food allergies, just pimento. Just say what the spread is!

Edited by theredhead77
  • Like 4
26 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I don't yuk on other people's yums but my peeve about pimento cheese is that it was so prevalent when I was in GA that it would be used as spread on various "southern" sandwiches without being indicated, which wouldn't be an issue other than the fact I'm randomly allergic to pimento. No other food allergies, just pimento. Just say what the spread is!

That's so strange--to put pimiento cheese inside various sandwiches, and not even mentioning it. Very strange.

• Like 5

I am sure it happens in all regions but mostly pimento cheese has been hijacked by, I don’t even know how to categorized it. Usually it is just put between two slices of loaf bread (what everyone else just calls bread from a store, Wonder/Sunbeam etc), the square sandwich style not the rounded top kind because it is easier to cut the crusts off, yes the crusts being off makes the sandwich taste better. Or eaten with some crackers. But it has become the latest let’s take a simple southern thing and REALLY OVERDO IT ON EVERYTHING AND CLAIM IT IS WHAT SOUTHERNERS HAVE DONE FOREVER!! WE ATE SOUTHERN FOOD WHEN WE WENT DOWN SOUTH! But yeah, you really didn’t.  It’s like the Oh let’s make it a southern wedding and use mason jars for the beverages! They all drink out of mason jars it’s sooo southern! We use regular glasses y’all.
It happens to all regions. I feel like you do about pimento cheese with buffalo chicken flavors. I don’t think people from the buffalo wing region really eat like that but it has been hijacked. I hate finding out something is buffalo flavor that shouldn’t be.

And if you (general not specific you) are interested in trying some don’t get a nasty brand. They are slimey. These two are available at Costco and some other places:

https://pimentocheese.com/

https://calliesbiscuits.com/products/pimento-cheese

and they are the most like an old lady cookbook style would be which is a good thing.  
All that to say yeah, pimento cheese does not belong on everything.

Edited by stewedsquash
Wonky link
  • Like 7

Just looked at the Palmetto brand and I might have to visit Costco and try it out.  Thanks for the tip! I like it on toasted English muffins or toasted whole wheat bread. And I too expected it to be like the stuff in the little Kraft jars but it isn't. It's so much better 😊

• Like 4

Ha, my northern grandma kept the Kraft jar in her fridge. The southern grandma kept the little tub from the pig. 
It is easypeasy to whip up a batch. Just grate some sharp cheddar, add a tiny jar of diced pimentos well drained and mix in just enough Dukes or Hellmans just to bring it all together. Add a pinch of cracked pepper and you’re good to go.

• Like 5
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1

Here's a mega pet peeve of mine. Well, I kinda mentioned this peeve not so long ago, but it's the outfits that women journalists wear on TV. Chuck Todd introduced Kristen Welker as the new host of Meet the Press on Sunday & she was wearing a **neon** orange suit. It was so neon that it actually was blurred around the edges on our TV. You don't see the men wearing bright blue or yellow sports jackets. They all wear dark suits. I switched over to Face the Nation where Margaret Brenner was wearing a bright blue short sleeve, over-the-knee dress, perched on her stool. Maybe it's just me, but I'm sensitive to the perception of women in jobs that used to be filled only by men. These news programs cover serious topics and I think the women need to be dressed more professionally. It's my peeve.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Like 1
  • Applause 3
On 9/11/2023 at 1:42 PM, Browncoat said:

We just called it the Pig -- almost never the whole name.

Which leads to NLSTP, which I first encountered back in the days of Usenet.

It's short for "no longer shopping the Pig," which is long for "dead."  So a thread would be titled "Jimmy Buffett NLSTP."

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 2
7 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

Ha, my northern grandma kept the Kraft jar in her fridge. The southern grandma kept the little tub from the pig. 
It is easypeasy to whip up a batch. Just grate some sharp cheddar, add a tiny jar of diced pimentos well drained and mix in just enough Dukes or Hellmans just to bring it all together. Add a pinch of cracked pepper and you’re good to go.

Oh my goodness yes, don’t buy that slimy stuff from the grocery store!  I’ve been making my own for decades and that’s pretty much my recipe. Maybe add in a dash of lemon juice and/or Texas Pete. “Cheating” would be using pre-shredded cheese. I won’t tell. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Which leads to NLSTP, which I first encountered back in the days of Usenet.

It's short for "no longer shopping the Pig," which is long for "dead."  So a thread would be titled "Jimmy Buffett NLSTP."

I've never heard that!  It's kind of awesome.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
22 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Just looked at the Palmetto brand and I might have to visit Costco and try it out.  Thanks for the tip! I like it on toasted English muffins or toasted whole wheat bread. And I too expected it to be like the stuff in the little Kraft jars but it isn't. It's so much better 😊

I've been looking into recipes today, because this lifelong New Yorker now wants to try Pimiento Cheese.  There is a copycat Palmetto recipe, and it seems very slimy in a picture.  There is a Southern Living recipe that has a lot of mayonnaise and an almost identical recipe that has one third as much. 

I found  a New York Times recipe that has 15 ingredients and the first one is bacon.  That is clearly ridiculous and I won't be trying it.  This fits with your comment @stewedsquash

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 4
Just now, EtheltoTillie said:

I've been looking into recipes today, because this lifelong New Yorker now wants to try Pimiento Cheese.  There is a copycat Palmetto recipe, and it seems very slimy in a picture.  There is a Southern Living recipe that has a lot of mayonnaise and an almost identical recipe that has one third as much. 

I found  a New York Times recipe that has 15 ingredients and the first one is bacon.  That is clearly ridiculous and I won't be trying it. 

I once had a very elegant version of Pimiento Cheese in a sandwich at a lovely restaurant in Chapel Hill called Pyewacket (I'm sure it no longer exists). Wish I'd asked for the ingredients. It was lighter than the usual and not orangey colored. I'd keep searching.  Maybe Bon Appetit might have a good recipe.  I'll look around too and if I find something that sounds similar to what I had, I'll post it.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
2 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I once had a very elegant version of Pimiento Cheese in a sandwich at a lovely restaurant in Chapel Hill called Pyewacket (I'm sure it no longer exists). Wish I'd asked for the ingredients. It was lighter than the usual and not orangey colored. I'd keep searching.  Maybe Bon Appetit might have a good recipe.  I'll look around too and if I find something that sounds similar to what I had, I'll post it.

I've been to Pyewacket! Loved it. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1