Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

I had stopped following this thread for reasons of my own, including that it encourages my habit of complaining, but:

On 7/19/2022 at 3:19 PM, emma675 said:

I have a top load washer without an agitator and it works fine, for the most part. I do have to lean almost all the way in to get that last errant sock out and I've found that bigger loads tend to get off balance quite a bit (which makes the washer sing a song that scares the hell out of the dog). But it uses much less water than my old front loader and the cycles seem to be faster. 

I have had to replace my fridge/freezer three times in less than 15 years. I've had different brands each time and they all seem to die before they hit the 5 year mark. 

I'm very short and have a bad shoulder, but these tongs with silicone "heads" work great for emptying my top loading washer without the agitator:
https://www.brandsmartusa.com/delish/253361/tongs.htm
OXO and other brands make similar ones. I think I got them at Wegmans, or maybe Target or Walmart. They all have similar ones.
image.png.bd7d0642d52afb5e2c4f0876b43d5adc.pngimage.thumb.png.6b58443b7b2630fc56f6129ea0b87299.png

My other peeve about the washer is that it doesn't really seem to agitate the clothes enough for me to feel like they're getting clean. Maybe when I move again, I'll get a front loader. IIRC, I didn't do that when I got these because of the added expense of getting a stand for them.

Plus the physics of something spinning on its side didn't make sense to me. But when I look into my top loader machine while it's running (nice, clear, glass window on top) the clothes are barely moving during the wash cycle. It seems having them flopping around with the gravity of a front loader would be better?

About:

On 7/19/2022 at 3:19 PM, emma675 said:

I've found that bigger loads tend to get off balance quite a bit (which makes the washer sing a song that scares the hell out of the dog).

Try to find someone who can balance it for you! 
I know: "easier said than done"

• Like 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I had stopped following this thread for reasons of my own, including that it encourages my habit of complaining, but:

I'm very short and have a bad shoulder, but these tongs with silicone "heads" work great for emptying my top loading washer without the agitator:
https://www.brandsmartusa.com/delish/253361/tongs.htm
OXO and other brands make similar ones. I think I got them at Wegmans, or maybe Target or Walmart. They all have similar ones.
image.png.bd7d0642d52afb5e2c4f0876b43d5adc.pngimage.thumb.png.6b58443b7b2630fc56f6129ea0b87299.png

My other peeve about the washer is that it doesn't really seem to agitate the clothes enough for me to feel like they're getting clean. Maybe when I move again, I'll get a front loader. IIRC, I didn't do that when I got these because of the added expense of getting a stand for them.

Plus the physics of something spinning on its side didn't make sense to me. But when I look into my top loader machine while it's running (nice, clear, glass window on top) the clothes are barely moving during the wash cycle. It seems having them flopping around with the gravity of a front loader would be better?

About:

Try to find someone who can balance it for you! 
I know: "easier said than done"

First I'll start with the pet peeve:

Everything being made for tall people without a second's thought that maybe up 50% of the population is not tall enough to use a product without difficulty.  I once read an article about a concept called "reference guy" that discussed this.  I can't find the article I read about this online but it was all about how everything from cars to furniture to appliances are designed for the build and height of the "average" man, which is about 5'9" tall in the US.

But yeah, after going down the rabbit hole researching washers late last year I decided not to buy a new one for now despite my old one being at least 25 years old (it was a hand-me-down when we got it).  And what you're describing was one of the big problems I saw discussed about non-agitator models.  Given that I am also a shorty with a 24" arm length I have a real reason not to want to deal with this issue.  I already have a grabber that I have to use for a whole host of other reasons on a daily basis, I don't need one more reason.  

The other problem I've seen mentioned on review sites and Consumer Reports is that the non-agitator models don't generally clean as well as the agitator models.  And depending on the brand and model they can come with a whole host of other annoying issues.  I don't need more annoying issues, especially after so many years owning a dependable issue-free washer that still works well (It's a Maytag, hah).  If I do end up buying a new one it's probably going to be an agitator model.  I can't get a front loader unfortunately because the dimensions of my laundry area are tight and a built-in pantry cabinet is too close to the machines to allow for a door to swing open.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

Everything being made for tall people without a second's thought that maybe up 50% of the population is not tall enough to use a product without difficulty.  I once read an article about a concept called "reference guy" that discussed this.  I can't find the article I read about this online but it was all about how everything from cars to furniture to appliances are designed for the build and height of the "average" man, which is about 5'9" tall in the US.

Because everything in this country, nay, the world is made for men. Women are an affront.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 9
31 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Because everything in this country, nay, the world is made for men. Women are an affront.

And considering it's mostly WOMEN using washing machines.  I have a front loader that cleans well.  And I'm glad that i do.

• Love 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, Yeah No said:

This is absolutely true. A couple years ago I read an article about health care and how so much of it is set up for the "average man".  From instruments used for procedures to hospital beds to you name it.   This is one reason why they always take your weight at doctor appointments.  Standard doses for prescriptions are most likely based on "the average man". 

This is reference man

Edited by bluegirl147
  • Fire 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
On 7/18/2022 at 7:32 PM, Mondrianyone said:

Get a grabber tool.

I have one upstairs, one downstairs in the laundry room, and a folding one I can throw in my tote bag to bring along for things on high shelves in the store. We have a laundry chute in one of the bathrooms that's supposed to deposit dirty clothes into a basket on top of the dryer, but if I toss a lot of things down the chute at once, a couple of items inevitably fall behind the dryer. That's when the basement grabber comes in very handy, but I can easily see using it to extract remote socks from the dryer. I love these things.

Anyone ever lose something that goes in the washer?  A beautiful Red & White Christmas top sheet just disappeared in the house.  The only two places it would be is in the washer and dryer, or folded in the linen closet.  Haven’t seen it since December.  I use top sheets instead of the other ones you can hardly put on in the corners.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, kristen111 said:

Anyone ever lose something that goes in the washer?  A beautiful Red & White Christmas top sheet just disappeared in the house.  The only two places it would be is in the washer and dryer, or folded in the linen closet.  Haven’t seen it since December.  I use top sheets instead of the other ones you can hardly put on in the corners.

Folded up inside something else, like  maybe a staticky blanket that went through the same load?  Good luck. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, kristen111 said:

A beautiful Red & White Christmas top sheet just disappeared in the house.  The only two places it would be is in the washer and dryer, or folded in the linen closet.  Haven’t seen it since December.

Used to wrap some Christmas ornamentation? 

• Useful 1
15 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Used to wrap some Christmas ornamentation? 

No, I looked.  But good thinking.  Thanks.   While thinking about it before, I remember a Hefty black bag in my bedroom with clothes going to the Vets in a week.  In my haste doing whatever, maybe I threw the sheet in the Vet bag.  Oh well, I’ll keep looking.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

This is absolutely true. A couple years ago I read an article about health care and how so much of it is set up for the "average man".  From instruments used for procedures to hospital beds to you name it.   This is one reason why they always take your weight at doctor appointments.  Standard doses for prescriptions are most likely based on "the average man". 

Thank you for posting that video, I've watched her show, just didn't see that one!

And yes, it's so true about the doses.  Women have been conditioned to think it's them and they're just "sensitive" but it's likely not them, it's that the standard doses are too high for a lot of women.  Also very true is that the basal metabolic rate of men and women differ so the "standard" temperature set in most offices of 68 degrees is often too cold for us.  I always had an electric heater under my desk at work for that reason and I wasn't alone among the women.  All the women wore sweaters in the summer when the AC was on.  None of the men did.  It's also very true that reference man also affects people of various races.  Eyeglasses now come in "low bridge" versions designed to be more comfortable and better proportioned for those with wider and/or lower nose bridges, accommodating non-Caucasian features.

Also, the shorter you are, the more nothing is scaled for you.  Story of my life at 5'1.5".  I used to be able to stand on my tippy toes or get up on the bottom shelf in the stores to reach something up high, but the older I get the more that's not feasible for me.  So increasingly I've had to ask for help getting things off the top shelf.  Also, I've noticed certain stores like the newer Aldi's are being built with higher top shelves.  Never in my life was the milk up too high for me to reach ANYWHERE but of course in the new Aldi in my town it was.  I got so tired of having to ask someone to help me I wrote to the company asking them if they could ask the manager of my local store to swap out the less popular specialty creamers, which were within my reach, for the more popular milk.  I made sure to say that I'd even witnessed a few people a couple of inches taller than me griping about it in the store (one of them male) and that we'd all appreciate anything they could do.  I got a nice email back telling me they would bring it to the store manager's attention.  I never thought I'd get anywhere with it, but lo and behold a few weeks later it was done!  I was amazed and thanked them profusely.  Sometimes it pays to risk looking like a COL (crazy/clueless old lady).

There are a lot of articles on the subject online that are worth looking at, and also that book which first brought up the issue.  I think I'll put that one on my wish list!

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
29 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

So increasingly I've had to ask for help getting things off the top shelf. 

I'm about 5'9", so I have always offered to help when I see someone straining to reach an item on the top shelf -- much quicker for me to do it than for the shorter shopper to go track down a store employee and guide them back to the item.  Well, always when it's a woman.  Short men are prone to being sensitive about their height, so with them I tend to reach for something nearby at the same height and casually acknowledge them; it gives an opening for them to ask "Can you grab [item] while you're there?" if they want to.  If they don't ask, whether I offer depends on a quick read of their demeanor.  I don't want to be the jerk who sees someone struggling and doesn't offer to help, but I don't want to make someone uncomfortable, either. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 4
  • Love 4

Last week I had to get bubble wrap at Staples and the only rolls were on the very top shelf. I  got a yardstick from the next aisle and moved a roll close enough to the edge that it fell and I caught it. I've had to do something similar in grocery stores a few times by getting a utensil from the kitchen aisle.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4

There will always be someone who can’t reach an item in a store. People who use wheelchairs, for example. Is there an answer? 

9 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I got so tired of having to ask someone to help me I wrote to the company asking them if they could ask the manager of my local store to swap out the less popular specialty creamers, which were within my reach, for the more popular milk.  I made sure to say that I'd even witnessed a few people a couple of inches taller than me griping about it in the store (one of them male) and that we'd all appreciate anything they could do.

Now what happens when someone can’t reach the creamers? It would be a never ending cycle.

• Wink 1
Just now, ginger90 said:

There will always be someone who can’t reach an item in a store. People who use wheelchairs, for example. Is there an answer? 

Now what happens when someone can’t reach the creamers? It would be a never ending cycle.

Well, yeah, but I'm presuming that there are far fewer short people that need to reach the cinnamon flavored creamer and the oat milk than the cow milk.  Stores often decide shelf space position based on the popularity of an item.  That was basically the rationale I gave them and it's probably the reason they did it.

It is still relatively rare even for me at my height not to be able to reach something, it was that one item in that one store that was the biggest issue.  But I am not handicapped.  A store can't accommodate all handicapped people confined to wheelchairs to make things reachable for them, that just wouldn't be feasible.  I shop in supermarkets a lot and notice that people confined to wheelchairs don't come without someone to help them.  These are people that need help getting to the store so they have to have someone assisting them the entire way.  Even people that ride scooters are not completely handicapped and can usually get up for a minute to reach something. 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Yeah No said:

Well, yeah, but I'm presuming that there are far fewer short people that need to reach the cinnamon flavored creamer and the oat milk than the cow milk.  Stores often decide shelf space position based on the popularity of an item.  That was basically the rationale I gave them and it's probably the reason they did it.

It is still relatively rare even for me at my height not to be able to reach something, it was that one item in that one store that was the biggest issue.  But I am not handicapped.  A store can't accommodate all handicapped people confined to wheelchairs to make things reachable for them, that just wouldn't be feasible.  I shop in supermarkets a lot and notice that people confined to wheelchairs don't come without someone to help them.  These are people that need help getting to the store so they have to have someone assisting them the entire way.  Even people that ride scooters are not completely handicapped and can usually get up for a minute to reach something. 

Like I said it would be a never ending cycle. Most of what you stated isn’t an absolute. Many people in wheelchairs or scooters  drive themselves to the store, alone. If they are accompanied, that person may not be able to reach items.

I’m willing to bet there will be people disappointed about the new location of items that were moved. It is what it is. But, there’s always two sides of a coin.

A person in a scooter or wheelchair,  may be non weight bearing, or paralyzed, or a fall risk.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Like I said it would be a never ending cycle. Most of what you stated isn’t an absolute. Many people in wheelchairs or scooters  drive themselves to the store, alone. If they are accompanied, that person may not be able to reach items.

I’m willing to bet there will be people disappointed about the new location of items that were moved. It is what it is. But, there’s always two sides of a coin.

A person in a scooter or wheelchair,  may be non weight bearing, or paralyzed, or a fall risk.

Of course not everyone is going to be happy with the change but it's not possible to please everyone and again it will inconvenience far fewer people now than the people inconvenienced by the milk being out of reach.  I don't think it's possible to expect much more than that.  Supermarkets are very aware of the competitive nature of shelf space.

Anyway I am tired of being female, short, old and on that basis being the last on anyone's list for priority with anything.  So I don't feel apologetic at all that I got a change made that benefits me for a change even if some others might be inconvenienced, nor do I appreciate being made to feel like I should feel apologetic about it.    

• Like 2
  • Love 3
(edited)
7 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Anyway I am tired of being female, short, old and on that basis being the last on anyone's list for priority with anything.  So I don't feel apologetic at all that I got a change made that benefits me for a change even if some others might be inconvenienced, nor do I appreciate being made to feel like I should feel apologetic about it.    

If you’re referring to my posts making you feel that way, I’m sorry, and I can assure you it was the furthest thing from my mind. I didn’t say you were wrong, I stated there are many sides to this. As you even stated, others may be inconvenienced. It’s a never ending thing. Too high, too low, etc.. That’s all.

Edited by ginger90
  • Like 1
Just now, ginger90 said:

If you’re referring to my posts making you feel that way, I’m sorry, and I can assure you it was the furthest thing from my mind. I didn’t say you were wrong, I stated there are many sides to this. That’s all.

Yeah but I don't see how it's relevant to my issue to bring up handicapped people.  We all accept the fact that it's impossible to accommodate every handicapped issue in a supermarket.  My issue is affecting a lot of people that aren't handicapped.  The average height of women in the US is only 5'4".  That means that there are a LOT of women (and even a few men) short enough to be impacted by the milk issue, plus milk being way more popular than oat milk or cinnamon creamer and I don't think I was being out of bounds requesting the change.  I have NEVER complained about something like this in ANY store ever.  I am realistic that some things are going to be out of reach for me and I can't expect to be accommodated every time.  I just felt that this time there was more than enough reason to ask for it.

• Love 1

I hate this type of tv exchange which is so old and cliche and just not funny :

'So you have a crush on jennifer'

'How did you know???!!'

'I didnt.....you just told me!!'

Or some variation where they make a statement, it's confirmed snd then they act like they tricked the other person 

Just stop writing that sequence.  I cringe every time.  It's not clever or original or witty in any way. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

Stores often decide shelf space position based on the popularity of an item.

There are lots of reasons why stores place thing where they do.  Some brands pay for their products to be eye level.  My pet peeve is when a name brand of something will be on sale and the store has their brand of the same item on a big display.  Lots of people will see the display and assume that item is on sale when it is not.  

• Like 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, ginger90 said:

If you’re referring to my posts making you feel that way, I’m sorry, and I can assure you it was the furthest thing from my mind. I didn’t say you were wrong, I stated there are many sides to this. As you even stated, others may be inconvenienced. It’s a never ending thing. Too high, too low, etc.. That’s all.

Not on the main topic above but responding to feelings: I am forever grateful for my first son's old old old pediatrician's wisdom almost 30 years ago. My mother is a badgering person and he gave me immediate and life changing relief from it after 26 years of it that has helped in other areas. I took my son in for what turned out to be a nothing visit. During the time I made a comment that "my mother made me feel guilty" and the doctor looked at me over his glasses, slowly took them off and turned to place his complete attention on me. Paraphrased quote: "You are allowing her to let you feel guilt. A person is responsible for their own feelings and how they react to what someone is doing. Once you take control over how you react they have no power over you and what you feel." It was very liberating. And it works both ways, how I react to what is done to me and how I react when what I do causes a reaction. Your response above reminded me of taking charge of how to react. 

Eta @ginger90 What I mean by the last sentence is that your response is an example of taking charge in a conversation, not telling you to take charge. 

Edited by stewedsquash
clarify
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 2

OMG, any marrieds here who have husbands that HATE air conditioning?  I swear, I think mine is half man/half woman going thru menopause.  When first married, ages ago, he froze me out every summer.  Now, in his older age, he’s cold.  74 degrees in the house is not cold.  I would like it even lower, but he would have a hissy fit.  Right now, he is eating his lunch outside with sweat rolling down his cheeks.  Every damn year it’s the same battle.  I call him “Mary”. This is the only thing where I can’t win.  Can’t wait until October.  He’s still wearing his winter pajamas and hospital socks. 🥵🥶

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
18 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

OMG, any marrieds here who have husbands that HATE air conditioning?

Mine always did, but this year suddenly he's made some miraculous about-face. We're having hotter temps up here than usual, and I think he's starting to see he might have to get used to some kind of artificial cooling. I've always been the opposite. When I was a kid, I would get out of bed in the middle of the night when it was hot and go sleep in the bathtub so I could feel the cool from the porcelain. I guess opposites do attract.

I can't complain too much, though. Last year I had our handyman friend build me some earring storage/display thingies, and after I put in most of the earrings, I realized if they were narrower, I had the perfect place to hang them. So he took them apart and changed the width, and then I never replaced the earrings. It turns out my husband is much better at arranging them than I am, so I'm letting him take over the whole job. We're now cleaning out the ones in my closet, and in the process he found a cache of ten jewel boxes, each with a blue topaz in it. I must've wanted to have a bracelet made or something and then forgotten about them completely. It's Xmas in July!

• Like 1
  • Love 5

I adore pearls. I think they’re so pretty, feminine and classic. I want to invest in some quality ones and not just the cheap costume ones I have. But I was told even the most expensive pearls don’t stay looking new. :(

Totally silly first world problem, I know. I’m surprised so many spend big bucks on pearls if they fade easily though. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I adore pearls. I think they’re so pretty, feminine and classic. I want to invest in some quality ones and not just the cheap costume ones I have. But I was told even the most expensive pearls don’t stay looking new. :(

Totally silly first world problem, I know. I’m surprised so many spend big bucks on pearls if they fade easily though. 

Who told you that?  Did you see Ivanka Trump wore pearls to her Mother’s funeral?  Pearls are timeless.  My husband bought me cultured pearls our first Christmas.  18 inch, and gorgeous.  I’ve worn them a million times, and they get better when worn from the oils in the skin.  Mine are still beautiful, so I want to give my Grandaughter them for her 16 th birthday.  My daughter told me not to bother, as they don’t wear them anymore.  I’m giving them to her anyway.  Mine are just as beautiful as the day I got them.  He did good.  Got them in the Diamond Center in N.Y.C.   Good cultured pearls stay perfect and don’t fade.  A trusted jeweler will tell you.  Sometimes you have to treat yourself.  You deserve them.  Wear them with jeans.  Wish I could send you a picture, but don’t know how.

• Love 7
14 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Yes, put those long grabber things throughout the store for customers to use.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
33 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

I’ve worn them a million times, and they get better when worn from the oils in the skin.  Mine are still beautiful, so I want to give my Grandaughter them for her 16 th birthday.  My daughter told me not to bother, as they don’t wear them anymore.  I’m giving them to her anyway.

It sounds like that might be a waste, if they're not her style.  It might be better for you to keep wearing them since you love them.  She may be into them when she's older.

A traditional strand of white, circular pearls is not at all my style, although I've liked them as parts of others' looks, but I have a necklace made of baroque freshwater pearls in a few shades of blue that I love.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Who told you that?  Did you see Ivanka Trump wore pearls to her Mother’s funeral?  Pearls are timeless.  My husband bought me cultured pearls our first Christmas.  18 inch, and gorgeous.  I’ve worn them a million times, and they get better when worn from the oils in the skin.  Mine are still beautiful, so I want to give my Grandaughter them for her 16 th birthday.  My daughter told me not to bother, as they don’t wear them anymore.  I’m giving them to her anyway.  Mine are just as beautiful as the day I got them.  He did good.  Got them in the Diamond Center in N.Y.C.   Good cultured pearls stay perfect and don’t fade.  A trusted jeweler will tell you.  Sometimes you have to treat yourself.  You deserve them.  Wear them with jeans.  Wish I could send you a picture, but don’t know how.

Someone here actually. I think the poster worked for a jewelry store or something. Seemed to really know their stuff. 

Thank you so much sweetheart. I'll probably end up buying myself some. 😀

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

It sounds like that might be a waste, if they're not her style.  It might be better for you to keep wearing them since you love them.  She may be into them when she's older.

A traditional strand of white, circular pearls is not at all my style, although I've liked them as parts of others' looks, but I have a necklace made of baroque freshwater pearls in a few shades of blue that I love.

True .. Maybe too young to appreciate.  I’ll wear them while I’m cooking, like Julia Child.  Lol.  Hardly go out these days because of this pandemic.

• Like 1
  • Wink 2
  • Love 2

@kristen111 I can't tell on a small scale -- is that wedding photo in your avatar taken from outside through the rear window of a car?  The framing reminds me of my favorite of my parents' wedding photos, which was taken looking into the back window of their '68 Chevy.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Bastet said:

@kristen111 I can't tell on a small scale -- is that wedding photo in your avatar taken from outside through the rear window of a car?  The framing reminds me of my favorite of my parents' wedding photos, which was taken looking into the back window of their '68 Chevy.

Yes.  The typical wedding picture through the window in that time.  My husband, me, and my pearls.  My favorite too.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Yes.  The typical wedding picture through the window in that time.  My husband, me, and my pearls.  My favorite too.

Oh my gosh, you were a gorgeous bride! I love the picture. So classic. :)

• Love 4
(edited)
16 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Mine are still beautiful, so I want to give my Grandaughter them for her 16 th birthday.  My daughter told me not to bother, as they don’t wear them anymore.  I’m giving them to her anyway.

This is your daughter saying what's not in fashion. She happens to be wrong. Pearls are making a huge comeback this year--here's a random link. I think you should ask your granddaughter if she'd like to have them, now or later, rather than go by what her mother says.

ETA: Happy anniversary, EtoT! Many more!

We also got married at City Hall. You meet the most interesting people while you're waiting to say your vows.

Edited by Mondrianyone
  • Like 2
  • Love 5
10 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

This is not a peeve, but coincidentally, today’s my wedding anniversary. City Hall type ceremony. 42 years.  I’m not posting any pix. 

Happy anniversary!

I wore pearls when I married.  It's in a box in my closet.  Since I don't take off my jade charm necklace other than for tests like MRIs (I get them regularly due to health conditions I have), I really don't have a purpose.  I thought I'd be able to give them to a daughter, but I ended up with a boy.  And I'm one and done.  I have "cousin nieces" (this is the term used in Chinese for younger cousins one generation removed) but it's likely they'd get one from their mom.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Good cultured pearls stay perfect and don’t fade.  A trusted jeweler will tell you.  Sometimes you have to treat yourself.  You deserve them.  Wear them with jeans.  Wish I could send you a picture, but don’t know how.

I was a jeweler and if you don't take care of your cultured pearls, the nacre (the pretty part) will just wear/flake off. Yes, if you wear them (on skin that preferably does not also have any sort of perfume on it - contains alcohol which is drying) they do pick up your body oil and that is good for them. So a strand of good natural cultured pearls that are stored properly between wearings (in a cloth bag, with a little soft cloth with a little olive oil on it) should last many generations. But the problem is when people buy pearl rings, then wear them all the time, wash their hands or do the dishes - within a year or so you can destroy the pearl easily. So I think pearls are gorgeous but they are fragile - earrings and necklaces are best - don't wear them in a swimming pool ever! - and if you aren't wearing them often, make sure to store them correctly. I agree - they look great with jeans and a blouse!

• Useful 5
  • Love 4
41 minutes ago, isalicat said:

So a strand of good natural cultured pearls that are stored properly between wearings (in a cloth bag, with a little soft cloth with a little olive oil on it) should last many generations.

That bit about the olive oil is interesting! Thanks, @isalicat. I have my mother's pearl choker, and it's in a cloth bag but no salad dressing. I'm going to try that..

Pearl is my birthstone, and for the first half of my life I felt as if I'd been cheated, because they're plain and not sparkly. Then I developed a real appreciation for their beauty. But I also like the alternate stone, alexandrite, which changes color, and that's kind of special.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, isalicat said:

I was a jeweler and if you don't take care of your cultured pearls, the nacre (the pretty part) will just wear/flake off. Yes, if you wear them (on skin that preferably does not also have any sort of perfume on it - contains alcohol which is drying) they do pick up your body oil and that is good for them. So a strand of good natural cultured pearls that are stored properly between wearings (in a cloth bag, with a little soft cloth with a little olive oil on it) should last many generations. But the problem is when people buy pearl rings, then wear them all the time, wash their hands or do the dishes - within a year or so you can destroy the pearl easily. So I think pearls are gorgeous but they are fragile - earrings and necklaces are best - don't wear them in a swimming pool ever! - and if you aren't wearing them often, make sure to store them correctly. I agree - they look great with jeans and a blouse!

Yes.  Mine are always in the dark blue velvet pouch they came in with a cloth not touching other jewelry.  They like to be alone, lol. 👍

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
6 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Oh my gosh, you were a gorgeous bride! I love the picture. So classic. :)

Thank you.  Can’t beat youth.  I was too tired to go to our Company dance that night in New York City, but my girlfriends sort of forced me.  Then this arrogant guy ( husband) walked over to me and said I had too much makeup on my face.  I told him to “take gas”.  Inseparable and married two years later.  See, you never know.  When you least expect it.  We fight everyday, but that’s how we roll, but he’s the love of my life.  Sometimes you have to force yourself to get out there.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Thank you.  Can’t beat youth.  I was too tired to go to our Company dance that night in New York City, but my girlfriends sort of forced me.  Then this arrogant guy ( husband) walked over to me and said I had too much makeup on my face.  I told him to “take gas”.  Inseparable and married two years later.  See, you never know.  When you least expect it.  We fight everyday, but that’s how we roll, but he’s the love of my life.  Sometimes you have to force yourself to get out there.

My husband and I fight every day too but I wouldn't trade him for anything. Well, maybe a good dog. ;-)

• Like 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

This is not a peeve, but coincidentally, today’s my wedding anniversary. City Hall type ceremony. 42 years.  I’m not posting any pix. 

Happy Anniversary! 🥂🥰 I never take pictures anymore.  Yikes.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Mondrianyone said:

That bit about the olive oil is interesting! Thanks, @isalicat. I have my mother's pearl choker, and it's in a cloth bag but no salad dressing. I'm going to try that..

Pearl is my birthstone, and for the first half of my life I felt as if I'd been cheated, because they're plain and not sparkly. Then I developed a real appreciation for their beauty. But I also like the alternate stone, alexandrite, which changes color, and that's kind of special.

Gemini  ?

1 hour ago, Mondrianyone said:

“Salad dressing” lol.  At least we’re having some good laughs today. 😂

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

I have a visual of gorgeous jewelry with Ranch on top. lol

Now that you mentioned Ranch, I have to buy some tomorrow.  Then butter lettuce, croutons, olives, feta cheese and chicken strips on top.  I could eat that everyday.  Then feet blow up from the olives.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, kristen111 said:

June 10.

June 19. My pearls are in their original box. My parents gave me as n alexandrite ring when I was about 16. I had it for maybe a week before the cat knocked it down the drain (I had my own bathroom and set the ring on the sink. Kitty had other ideas. 😥

• Hugs 2
(edited)
On 7/22/2022 at 8:43 AM, Yeah No said:

Of course not everyone is going to be happy with the change but it's not possible to please everyone and again it will inconvenience far fewer people now than the people inconvenienced by the milk being out of reach.  I don't think it's possible to expect much more than that.  Supermarkets are very aware of the competitive nature of shelf space.

Tired of being old?  OLD?  You don’t know what old is .. yet.  Just wait.  It hits like a ton of bricks.  Every effin thing is a hassle, and you need help with every damn thing.  No wonder why old people are crabby.

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2