Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

(edited)

In an autocorrect mishap, I once sent my aunt--who had brought my dad to the hospital for some tests--a text that said, "How did his twats go?"

Why does it seem like the "solution" to "Entity X is not pulling its weight, and thus creating more work for Entity Y" is for Entity Y to now add "Make sure Entity X does its work" to the to-do list?

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 3

My autocorrect seems to recognize and not attempt to change the word twats, but I can't get it to suggest it. I might have to use it a few times in sentences for it to just assume that's what I meant.

• Love 2

Speaking of Amazon, I ordered some probiotics the other day. They arrived today in a bubble mailer. When I picked it up, I knew something had gone wrong. I could hear all 90 capsules moving around in the mailer, which was approximately 9"x12”. The bottom of the glass bottle was somehow sort of crudely punched out. There was no shattering; the top was still on the bottle. I've got a replacement on the way.

Seriously, Amazon? A bubble mailer to ship a glass bottle?

Do we need a new thread?

• Love 1
(edited)

The peeve that won't die: When you say "no onions" but you get onions! 

Even peevier: "Just pull them off!"

(A) Won't work; might as well eat them and get whatever dubious nutrition is in there (before I barf it up, at least), as the taste remains no matter what you do with the actual onions. 

(B) Even if A were not true, do you think I couldn't have thought of that strategy myself?

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 9
(edited)

Another little peeve is when people repeat what you've just said (not just to me but generally). So for example I might say to a colleague

"I'm just going to buy a new pair of shoes and throw the old ones!"

"You're going to throw the old ones?"

or 

"I fell on the ice but am okay"

"You fell on the ice?"

or

"I screamed at this weird guy and then beat him to death with a stick!"

"You beat him to death?"

Not a big deal, but when I notice it it does make me twitch a little.

Edited by Only Zola
  • Love 6
21 minutes ago, Only Zola said:

Another little peeve is when people repeat what you've just said (not just to me but generally). So for example I might say to a colleague

"I'm just going to buy a new pair of shoes and throw the old ones!"

"You're going to throw the old ones?"

I think I've been guilty of that.  I worked with someone and she asked me if I wanted some of her clothes because she couldn't wear them two years in a row.

Me:  You can't wear clothes two years in a row? 

But, sorry, I just can't not repeat stuff like that, when it seems so insanely bizarre to me.

33 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Ditto for Mayo.  I went out to eat with a bunch of friends once. Ordered a sandwich or burger no mayo.  First, I got served last.  It had mayo on it, so I sent it back.  (Will not eat mayo, gross, blech).  My friends were all done eating by the time my food came back.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Only Zola said:

Another little peeve is when people repeat what you've just said

I think that strategy is taught somewhere as an "active listening" technique. If you say:

1 hour ago, Only Zola said:

"I screamed at this weird guy and then beat him to death with a stick!"

and I grunt "uh-huh" in response, you might think I'm not listening. And then five minutes later I say, "Wait, did you say something about a stick?" 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

(A) Won't work; might as well eat them and get whatever dubious nutrition is in there (before I barf it up, at least), as the taste remains no matter what you do with the actual onions. 

(B) Even if A were not true, do you think I couldn't have thought of that strategy myself?

Are we the same person?! I hate onions. HAAAAAATE. Ever since I was a kid. Even now, as an adult in her 30s, I pull a face at the thought of them. I hate the texture, the flavor, the smell, everything. Pulling them off does no good, because, like you said, their foul flavor just lingers. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Awww, I can't agree, Only Zola; I love those smelly little bastards. 

However, I would never act incredulous or, worse, as if you are some kind of pain in the ass, for simply not liking a food you don't like! 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 7
17 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

It's the worst, man. So many problems and peeves come from onions!

6 minutes ago, Only Zola said:

... and Brussels Sprouts! ha!

More for me! You guys are so sweet: You're always thinkin' of me. I just want you to know it is not unappreciated. So, thank you. :D

• Love 3
1 minute ago, TattleTeeny said:

Awww, I can't agree, Only Zola; I love those smelly little bastards. 

you love those smelly little bastards? haha!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

That is so annoying.  Some things just infuse the surrounding ingredients with their flavor too much for that to be effective, and if you hate something, you hate it.  I loathe bananas.  Don't want them in the same room with me, I hate the smell so much, so I surely do not want to eat them, or anything on which they've been sitting.  If pancakes are normally served with strawberries and bananas and I specify no bananas, then a) do not bring me pancakes with bananas on them, and b) if you do, when I send them back, do not just pluck them off and send the dish back out, because I can tell.  And if that's all I wanted done, I'd have done it myself.

(That doesn't happen anymore, because I got smart and started ordering the fruit on the side; I'm just going to take it off and eat it separately, anyway, because I'm going to pour syrup on my pancakes and syrup should never touch fruit.  That way if an invader fruit is in there, I only need to send the bowl back, rather than waiting for new pancakes to be cooked.)

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

Ditto for Mayo.  I went out to eat with a bunch of friends once. Ordered a sandwich or burger no mayo.  First, I got served last.  It had mayo on it, so I sent it back.  (Will not eat mayo, gross, blech).  My friends were all done eating by the time my food came back.

Bad server.  Everyone should be served at/near the same time and should have ensured no mayo on your sandwich.  Low tip time.

I respect your dislike of Mayo.  I love it.  I hate it when my husband, who is like you and doesn't like Mayo, constantly says how gross it is when I use it.  Annoys me to no end.  I don't go on and on how he seems to think ketchup equals pasta sauce (which is 'yech' to me).

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

I hate it when my husband, who is like you and doesn't like Mayo,

That would be annoying.  I dn't think I usually care what other people are eating.  Sometimes if it stinks.

• Love 2
(edited)

Some things just infuse the surrounding ingredients with their flavor too much for that to be effective

Right! And isn't it kind of why those people like onions on their food -- because they like the flavor that onions bring. Just flip that logic around to understand why I feel the opposite way. It's weird; I don't personally worry about why someone dislikes coffee or cheap "water beer" or Thai food or whatever the hell else I do like. 

And not food but in the same vein: I don't watch Game of Thrones! Sorry, I guess, but please relax--there's no need to be shocked or offended! Do you (the general "you") watch...let's say, The Lucy Show via Hulu? Because I do, and don't care one bit whether you do not!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4

Invader fruit!

TMI: As a kid, I used to love onions. Then we had onion rings with dinner one night, and I got sick in the middle of the night. Like, all over the bathroom like in the 'Santa Clarita Diet".

I can handle the occasional onion now, some 35 years later. I usually pick them off, but I can manage the flavor. I know I've not touched an onion ring since that night. I don't know how people eat a "blooming onion".

• Love 1

UGH! My BF's stepdad always tells me that he is like me, and does not like onions...except for that odorous bloomin' thing! He tells me this every single time we're out to eat, and interrogates me as to why I don't want to try it--as if I am somehow ruining his fun*!

* Which I must add, I am so not. He loves Outback Steakhouse and so that's where we always go. I'm vegan for cryin' out loud, so I don't want to hear that I am ruining any fun, man!

• Love 3
(edited)

Hahahhahahahahahaa, you do not know how many times I hear that! That's sort of what prompted my post: we had a work luncheon buffet deal today and when these are planned, that's the line a few of us get...even though the planner specifically asks everyone about food issues. Well, this time, someone else planned it and she basically said, "Fuck it, you guys take a look at the menu and I will personally make separate orders for you this time!" Yay! Until...

Mine arrived festooned in onions. Ooooh, it made me so sad and mad! Luckily, while I had forgotten all about this lunch, I actually remembered to bring food today--and it was good, so there!

Even when our supervisor (two of us dirty vegans are in his department) wants a pizza day, he will ask us about dietary preferences. Everyone but the two of us gets a say (and, of course, we get the salad suggestion, along with the half-joking, "Well, it's not that you can't eat it; you choose not to!" Not totally true; Other Vegan has legit celiac, so she cannot eat that kind of crust). Even though there is a pizza place right up the street that makes gluten-free/dairy-free stuff along with "normal" stuff, he won't order from there.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2

My pet peeve ... people who feel the need to park next to me in an empty parking lot. I like to park away from the madding crowd. I was out walking at lunch time, and a co-worker had parked right next to me. IT'S AN EMPTY LOT. I want to leave a note that says "Really?!"

Note: This photo is a sample. This is not my car, and this is not my co-worker.  

IMG_2142[1]cr.jpg

• Love 7
17 minutes ago, ennui said:

My pet peeve ... people who feel the need to park next to me in an empty parking lot. I like to park away from the madding crowd. I was out walking at lunch time, and a co-worker had parked right next to me. IT'S AN EMPTY LOT. I want to leave a note that says "Really?!"

Note: This photo is a sample. This is not my car, and this is not my co-worker.  

IMG_2142[1]cr.jpg

That always makes me a little nervous when I don't know whose car it is. I'm worried about who it might be and what they are planning to do to the person parked next to them. I might be a little paranoid.

Of course, in the picture, mine would be the big vehicle, not the sports car. This is important because unless I can't help it, I don't park or walk right next to a van. It's easier for kidnappers to get someone in a van because the doorway is bigger and higher up. I think my mother (and lots of other women) told me this when I was in high school or college after a woman in the next town was kidnapped in a Gibson's parking lot. I can't remember if they ever found her.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

Hahahhahahahahahaa, you do not know how many times I hear that!

As many times as I do, probably! Vegetarianism/veganism =/= eating salads all the time, just like eating meat =/= eating bologna sandwiches constantly. A salad is fine once in a while, but that's not all we eat! And it probably goes without saying that the "salad" in a steakhouse is at best an iceberg lettuce vehicle for meat.

"Festooned" cracked me up!

• Love 4
(edited)

Don't get me wrong, I love a good salad! A GOOD ONE, dammit! A place near my work just opened a make-your-own salad bar (a slight misnomer, as the employees there do the hands-on making--maybe a made-to-order salad bar, then). It's got so much stuff--the usual elements, plus all kinds of grilled vegetables (including brussels sprouts!), tofu cubes, chickpeas, cranberries, beets, olives, quinoa! It's glorious! Expensive but glorious. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, ennui said:

My pet peeve ... people who feel the need to park next to me in an empty parking lot.

Kind of a weird pet peeve, but we have a large bathroom at work. 12 stalls and a door at each end. The stall doors don't close if they aren't locked, so you know when someone is in the stall. 9 times out of 10 if I'm the only one in there, the next woman will come in and pick the stall right next to me. Bonus points if she poops. Wins it all if she has explosive diarrhea (that actually happened once - I'd want to be as far away from people as possible!) Once I was in the stall by one door and someone came in the other an walked past 10 empty stalls to sit and poop by me. Thanks for sharing! I mean, I don't have a shy bladder, and yeah, there's partitions and everything, but it just strikes me as odd. And it peeves me.

• Love 14

@ennui and @Nordly Beaumont I feel your pain.  The whole parking lot can be empty and I'll still get people parking right next to me. Same with the bathroom. Even worse is when they don't flush. Thanks for ensuring that the odor permeates into the next stall and leaving your crap (literally!) for the next woman to deal with. Women are such damn pigs in public restrooms.

• Love 3

Ennui, maybe they really, really like you!

2 hours ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

Kind of a weird pet peeve, but we have a large bathroom at work. 12 stalls and a door at each end. The stall doors don't close if they aren't locked, so you know when someone is in the stall. 9 times out of 10 if I'm the only one in there, the next woman will come in and pick the stall right next to me. Bonus points if she poops. Wins it all if she has explosive diarrhea (that actually happened once - I'd want to be as far away from people as possible!) Once I was in the stall by one door and someone came in the other an walked past 10 empty stalls to sit and poop by me. Thanks for sharing! I mean, I don't have a shy bladder, and yeah, there's partitions and everything, but it just strikes me as odd. And it peeves me.

If someone came in and pooped (or worse) right next to me when they had other choices, I'd probably say loudly, "Seriously?!? Fuckin' seriously?"

• Love 8
(edited)
9 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

@ennui and @Nordly Beaumont I feel your pain.  The whole parking lot can be empty and I'll still get people parking right next to me. Same with the bathroom. Even worse is when they don't flush. Thanks for ensuring that the odor permeates into the next stall and leaving your crap (literally!) for the next woman to deal with. Women are such damn pigs in public restrooms.

That was one of my peeves I posted here a couple of weeks back; and yes I can go into a restroom with 10 or 20 stalls (may as well be 100), all of them empty. I'll pick one, get down to business, and chances are someone will enter the restroom and choose a stall either side of mine, and really REALLY let go!

Anyway, it's 8am here, and am about to have some breakfast.... I need to move on, lol

Edited by Only Zola
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, Hanahope said:

Bad server.  Everyone should be served at/near the same time and should have ensured no mayo on your sandwich.  Low tip time.

I respect your dislike of Mayo.  I love it.  I hate it when my husband, who is like you and doesn't like Mayo, constantly says how gross it is when I use it.  Annoys me to no end.  I don't go on and on how he seems to think ketchup equals pasta sauce (which is 'yech' to me).

LOL. I like ketchup so much that my wife teases me that fries are just a "ketchup delivery system".

• Love 5
Just now, TattleTeeny said:

I have a friend who once declared that he would "eat straight mayonnaise if it were socially acceptable."

Oy. I like mayo, but damn. I don't like it that much! We switched (years ago) to mayo with olive oil instead of the regular version. I don't really know if it has any impact on our diet, but it does taste better.

• Love 2

I never liked mayo, except for maybe just enough to make tuna or to make the bread on a BLT less dry. But for some reason, when I quit animal products, I decided to try the non-egg version. And how weird--I like it now! I wonder if it's because I don't like eggs--maybe back then I could taste the egginess of regular mayo?

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

9 times out of 10 if I'm the only one in there, the next woman will come in and pick the stall right next to me.

Ah, public bathroom etiquette! Always a good topic where right thinking people can find common ground.

Selecting an open stall directly next to an occupied one, when there are others available, is unacceptable behavior. 

There are a whole series of amusing diagrams and quizzes I've seen over the years about urinal etiquette for men, which I will now share because it's lunch time and this made me Google them.

7GD5yRBl.jpg

mjmJn5hl.jpg

bagU9gql.jpg

Xz4xqEil.png

I particularly love the last one because it advises to wait or use a cubicle. The first time I saw one of these I think the comment was, "It's a trick question. You go wash your hands or check your hair in the mirror and wait for it to clear up a bit.

• Love 7
(edited)

At the risk of sounding super-petty (especially at my advanced age), I feel peeved by copy-cattery. Long story short, my sister has recently started adopting a personal style that is somewhat similar to my own. Which, whatever, fine. But instead of just, you know, just doing so and going about one's business, this is accompanied by way too many "look at me' FB photos touting this "edgy" new thing. 

Then...the peeve worsens because when I think about why someone does this kind of thing (along with some other attention-seeking stuff she tends to do), I feel sad and guilty: guilty for being annoyed, and sad because attention-seeking can be kind of a sad thing to begin with, and also because I think I can trace back to the events that made her this way. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 3

There is a very annoying fly in my apartment. I don't know how it got in because it's not like I've had a window or door open in 90-plus-degree weather. Bilgisticat will occasionally notice it flying around and be interested for a whole second, and then go back to lounging. Earn your keep, cat!

• Love 6

Flies didn't last long when Maddie was alive; she could jump up to catch them in between her front paws, and damn near climb a wall if she needed to.  Riley, not so much.  She's tried a couple of times and missed, and seems to have permanently given up.

Having flies get in when you don't know how is very annoying.  A week or so ago I suddenly had nearly half a dozen of them in the kitchen.  It didn't take me long to get them all (one was particularly elusive, but I emerged victorious), so no big deal, but the door hadn't been open that I recall (that may be the key phrase) and there are no holes in the window screens.

• Love 1
(edited)

People who talk with their mouths full of food!

This evening, I spent an hour with a friend in the local pub. She was eating a BLT on crusty white bread. But would insist on talking while masticating (sometimes with her gob open FFS!) So I end up with bits of half chewed food on my hand, my face, my drink and my own bacon melt!

I was soooo close to saying something, but typically I decided to keep the status quo. But God I hate people who do that!

Edited by Only Zola
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I have a friend who once declared that he would "eat straight mayonnaise if it were socially acceptable."

That made me gag a little.  Of all the foods I hate, and there are a lot, mayo is the absolute worst.  Ruins everything it touches, and even the thought of it makes me a little nauseated.  Aioli; however, can sometimes be ok, if there's a lot of garlic so that it doesn't actually taste anything like mayo.  

• Love 2

There were THREE flies and they congregated at my bedroom window, so naturally, I thought of "The Amityville Horror". I managed to corral them to the other side of the window between it and the screen.

My late kitty girl could also jump up and catch flies between her paws. The agility for that, and to follow their flight paths! It was like watching a master dancer.

• Love 2

Mine run around crazy while making wee teeny-tiny whiny noises as if their hearts are breaking that a bug is in the house. Then my BF picks them up over his head (one at a time) and helps them to "get it!"

• Love 8

Then my BF picks them up over his head (one at a time) and helps them to "get it!"

That's so cute.  I've tried that with my two cats and all they do is turn to look at me like 'what are you doing to me? Put me down.'

Jumping in on the onion talk.  I love 'em (and I also like Brussels sprouts).  I love the onion-y smell when they are baking with something in the oven and the good 'brown' smell when I saute them in a pan.  And don't get me started on homemade onion rings.  

Here is a pet peeve at myself:  Why oh why do I wait until the last minute to finish projects?  (At home and at work)  It's not too bad when it's an everyday type of project that I know I can do at the last minute with no real problems (except for being a little rushed).  But, I hate myself when it's something that I'm unfamiliar with and I put it off so that I'm working until the wee hours in the morning so that I can get something e-mailed or mailed by a deadline.  I agreed to be an 'external reviewer' for a faculty member at another university who is going up for tenure.  This means that I have to look at their CV  to see what their current job entails and then examine their body of research and write a letter detailing why I think that their research is appearing in good scholarly journals, whether or not it relates to their job, are they presenting sufficiently at conferences, etc.  I don't have give my recommendation whether or not they should get tenure, I just have to comment/review the quality/quantity of their research.  I've done it before (and it was a struggle, because I had never done it before and could find no good examples online to see how others had worded their comments), but I did okay.  This time, I've waited until the last minute (it's due early next week) and when I opened this person's e-mailed files to examine, I'm finding that they have written tons of stuff in journals.  I'm going to be working for hours to get through everything so I can make intelligent (!) comments on their work.  I'm not worried that I'll screw it up and do a poor job--I'm just ticked at myself that I'm having to do it so quickly instead of spreading the work out for the last few weeks.  Maybe I've learned my lesson.  Maybe?

• Love 3

BooksRule, are you someone who tends toward frequent bouts of "Holy shit, I could make this even better!" Because I kind of am...and I also sometimes wait until the last minute to do stuff because of it--freelance writing assignments, for instance (as well as just about every paper I ever wrote in college); if I finish the thing with too much time to spare, I will likely find a bazillion things that I just "need" to change instead of leaving well enough alone.

• Love 1
(edited)
13 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

BooksRule, are you someone who tends toward frequent bouts of "Holy shit, I could make this even better!" Because I kind of am...and I also sometimes wait until the last minute to do stuff because of it--freelance writing assignments, for instance (as well as just about every paper I ever wrote in college); if I finish the thing with too much time to spare, I will likely find a bazillion things that I just "need" to change instead of leaving well enough alone.

I was like this in high school. My mother hated that I'd wait until the day before to write essays for English class. She also never thought I knew as much about stuff as I actually knew, which means she thought I hadn't done any research (rarely true, and even then I knew quite a lot about my subject).

Edited to add: Of course, now I suffer from diarrhea of the mouth and tend to make things too verbose. So, revision is required. 

Edited by MrSmith
  • Love 1