Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: About Big People

• Start Topic

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soooo... The Doobie Brothers have a song called  "What a Fool Believes." It’s about a man who has created (in his mind) a relationship with a woman from "his long ago" who barely knows/remembers him. Every time I hear the song,  I think of Shitney. I took one of the lines and flipped the pronouns (she to he and vice versa, his to her...) Here's the changed line:

"He had a place in her life, she never made him think twice."

Anybody else think that sums up  our dear Shitney and men?

• Love 1
On 7/10/2022 at 11:45 PM, Colleenna said:

Soooo... The Doobie Brothers have a song called  "What a Fool Believes." It’s about a man who has created (in his mind) a relationship with a woman from "his long ago" who barely knows/remembers him. Every time I hear the song,  I think of Shitney. I took one of the lines and flipped the pronouns (she to he and vice versa, his to her...) Here's the changed line:

"He had a place in her life, she never made him think twice."

Anybody else think that sums up  our dear Shitney and men?

I love love the Doobie Brothers, but as fas as the Whit men….I came to the conclusion that they were scripted stories.  A lot of reality tv is not actual as it appears, so I don’t really think she has these love affairs as portrayed.  I suspected it with Lenny and the other guy who was scamming her, but it was the aftermath of Chase breakup that caused me to really doubt the authenticity.  Maybe, there is someone new…..if so, it’ll be apparent I think.  

• Like 2

The discussion in S10E1 about the elderly and UTIs causing dementia-like symptoms: Thanks to ALL of you for the information. 

As much as I hate to admit it, I am an elderly woman.  I need to make sure that my husband knows that IF I suddenly show signs of dementia,  he brings up the possibility of a UTI with my doctor.  Might just save my life. 

• Like 4
  • Love 4

Colleena-my hubs had a UTI this past year that caused him to go completely bonkers! He passed out on the floor, I had to call an ambulance since I can't pick him up by myself. After being transported to the ER, he went fucking nuts! Trying to fight with the nurses, swinging on the orderlies, and he is not a violent person. They had to put him in restraints because he was so crazy. They did tests but couldn't get any urine out of him.They told me if he didn't pee soon they would have to put in a catheter in so I asked if I could try to get him to pee. I had him drink a bunch of water which he appreciated since he was very thirsty and I held the urinal for him since he had IVs in both arms. After some time and coaxing, he finally went (a lot!) and I gave the pee to the nurse. (They were happy too). Turned out he had a raging UTI and once antibiotics were on board, he went back to his normal self within a few hours. He is 72, by the way. My girlfriend's mother was the same  way-she would start to act altered and my friend said she could tell that her mom had a UTI. Us oldsters need to watch out for this stuff! I'm thinking Babs got the UTI from a catheter since she was bedridden-the hospital should have taken precautions to avoid that from happening.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I have had a few UTIs in the past, and after the last one the doc recommended I do two things:

1. Take a pro-biotic every day.

2. Take D-mannose every day.

I'd never heard of D-mannose but it's a type of sugar, related to glucose, that (apparently) attracts e-coli bacteria to cling to it. (Some science here.)

It's worked for me, I've not had a recurrence of a UTI for about 3 years.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV. This is not medical advice. Always speak to your doctor before deciding to take any supplements as they may affect any health conditions you may have or affect the efficacy of any medication you're already taking.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

Oh, one more thing about health 'down there'. TMI to follow ....

After pooping, I use a personal hygiene bottle (look on Amazon, also known as personal bidet or 'peri' bottle) to wash myself with a jet of warm water before drying off with a small amount of TP. It's really effective, much cheaper than getting a bidet attachment plumbed into the water supply on the toilet, plus you can use warm water. The feeling of cleanness can't be underestimated. I could not go back to using just TP any more.

There's a video here (don't worry, she uses peanut butter on an apple!).

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, essexjan said:

I have had a few UTIs in the past, and after the last one the doc recommended I do two things:

1. Take a pro-biotic every day.

2. Take D-mannose every day.

I'd never heard of D-mannose but it's a type of sugar, related to glucose, that (apparently) attracts e-coli bacteria to cling to it. (Some science here.)

It's worked for me, I've not had a recurrence of a UTI for about 3 years.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV. This is not medical advice. Always speak to your doctor before deciding to take any supplements as they may affect any health conditions you may have or affect the efficacy of any medication you're already taking.

Thank Dog I haven't had many UTIs in my life. Last one was at least 15 years ago.  The only reason I remember that is because that's how I discovered that I'm  EXTREMELY allergic to Cephalosporin. Ooopsie. 

• Hugs 1

It's been encouraging to see science looking at things like set point theory and hunger hormones. Now it looks like we're paying some attention to other aspects of diet culture, too.

Is losing weight an important health goal?

An excerpt:

For most people, restrictive dieting with the intention to lose weight doesn’t work. More than 80% of people who lost weight regained it within five years, according to a 2018 study.

If our phones didn’t work the way they were intended that often, most people wouldn’t use them anymore, Campos said.

“But diet culture has done a very good job of deceiving us that you can get everything you’ve ever wanted. You’ll get health, you’ll get fitness, you’ll get praise,” she added.

What do we focus on if we want to get healthy if it’s not losing weight? Focus on health promoting behaviors like quitting smoking, moving more, sleeping better, stressing less and eating the foods your body is telling you that you need, Larmie said.

• Useful 1
On 9/6/2022 at 8:45 PM, auntjess said:

I was going to give this a miss, but reading comments, it look like it can be the newest shitfest,
Inmate To Roommate - Other Candid Reality Shows - PRIMETIMER

Sorry to quote this but it's the easiest way to make a post.

Lovely people,  I shall be leaving Primetimer.  The incessant pop-ups are getting on my last good nerve, so for this and other reasons,  I'm out.  It's been great fun snarking with all of you!! 

• Sad 6
15 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Lovely people,  I shall be leaving Primetimer.  The incessant pop-ups are getting on my last good nerve, so for this and other reasons,  I'm out.  It's been great fun snarking with all of you!! 

use ad block.I  don't get any of that crap

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 2/15/2023 at 2:51 PM, Colleenna said:

NO! Don't go!  Just get an ad-blocker (free).  At least give it a run up the flagpole!

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Does anyone recall when Whit got a toothache while on vacation and had it pulled?  Does anyone recall if she discussed why she got an extraction as opposed to getting a root canal and saving it?  Was it a top or bottom tooth?  

Agree about Babs dress- that was way too intrusive- you have your daughter's paid friend wear your recently deceased wife's dress? 

My husband wouldn't recognize my wedding dress and we haven't been married nearly as long as Glen and Babs.

On 3/14/2023 at 7:03 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Does anyone recall when Whit got a toothache while on vacation and had it pulled?  Does anyone recall if she discussed why she got an extraction as opposed to getting a root canal and saving it?  Was it a top or bottom tooth?  

I don’t think she really mentioned why she didn’t get a root canal other than it was the tooth all the way in the back and you couldn’t see it when she smiled anyway.   I thought it was her bottom tooth but I’m not positive.

• Useful 1
On 9/16/2023 at 11:23 PM, Pi237 said:

What ad blocker is everyone using? (For iPhone). These banner ads, pop ups etc are driving me Insane.

I changed the browser I used to DuckDuckGo. Ever since then, no issues at all.

Edited by DanaMB
  • Useful 1
On 9/16/2023 at 11:23 PM, Pi237 said:

What ad blocker is everyone using? (For iPhone). These banner ads, pop ups etc are driving me Insane.

Try Total Adblock or Adblock Plus apps for iPhone.  

Duck Duck Go browser is good too - it has an adblocker built in.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Useful 2
(edited)

@Yeah No@SunnyBeBe or anyone else can I ask what age did you notice your weight starting to creep up and were you regular exercisers before?

I usually swim 6-7 times a week and do yoga or maybe Pilates 2-3 times a week.  I hate running but I walk my dogs.  I have some health issues not having to do with weight but I do tire easily.  Have you found any low impact exercises you do like?  I’ve been thinking about golf.  I’m ok but just did it occasionally over the years. I hear pickle ball is fun but only see it offer at senior centers but could probably talk my husband into playing with me.

Edited by Irate Panda
2 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

@Yeah No@SunnyBeBe or anyone else can I ask what age did you notice your weight starting to creep up and were you regular exercisers before?

I usually 6-7 times a week and do yoga or maybe Pilates 2-3 times a week.  I hate running but I walk my dogs.  I have some health issues not having to with weight but I do tire easily.  Have you found any low impact exercises you do like?  I’ve been thinking about golf.  I’m ok but just did it occasionally over the years. I hear pickle ball is fun but only see it offer at senior centers but could probably talk my husband into playing with me.

I would say I stayed in fairly good shape when I worked out and watched diet.  My late 40’s brought some muscle issues.  I got 2 frozen shoulders, constant muscle spasm in my back, sore, weak leg muscles and other issues.  I was under doctor’s care and in PT for a good while. Once, I joined a doctor supervised weight loss program, but wasn’t motivated.  Eventually, I got motivated and tired of not living the life I wanted.  

I started out walking on a treadmill and using an elliptical machine. Then, added the stairstepper. Now up to 16 floors of stairs on it.  I do a little walking on outdoor track too.  I have a torn meniscus in right knee. Have to watch it.  Plan to start pickleball soon.  Hope my knee is up for it.  I also do strength training on equipment.  I joined the gym and they are very helpful.  I love it!  It’s very friendly.  Great social scene!  I feel so much better. 

• Like 3
38 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I would say I stayed in fairly good shape when I worked out and watched diet.  My late 40’s brought some muscle issues.  I got 2 frozen shoulders, constant muscle spasm in my back, sore, weak leg muscles and other issues.  I was under doctor’s care and in PT for a good while. Once, I joined a doctor supervised weight loss program, but wasn’t motivated.  Eventually, I got motivated and tired of not living the life I wanted.  

I started out walking on a treadmill and using an elliptical machine. Then, added the stairstepper. Now up to 16 floors of stairs on it.  I do a little walking on outdoor track too.  I have a torn meniscus in right knee. Have to watch it.  Plan to start pickleball soon.  Hope my knee is up for it.  I also do strength training on equipment.  I joined the gym and they are very helpful.  I love it!  It’s very friendly.  Great social scene!  I feel so much better. 

Thanks for the info! Glad you are doing better 😊

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

I usually swim 6-7 times a week and do yoga or maybe Pilates 2-3 times a week.  I hate running but I walk my dogs.  I have some health issues not having to do with weight but I do tire easily.  Have you found any low impact exercises you do like?  I’ve been thinking about golf.  I’m ok but just did it occasionally over the years. I hear pickle ball is fun but only see it offer at senior centers but could probably talk my husband into playing with me.

I was always athletic and was into bike riding when I was young, although when I was in college I had a heavy schedule and didn't get much exercise although I never got above 115 lbs.  I was never a big eater but I could eat fast food and ice cream and not gain weight.  I resumed the bike riding after graduation because I missed it.  I used to ride with my husband and alone.  We'd often do 20 mile rides after work on weekdays and 60 mile rides on the weekends.  We also belonged to a gym.  We were hardcore!

In my mid 30s my life changed completely when I moved to CT and I wasn't able to get in as much riding.  I started to notice the scale creeping upward little by little over the years and when I had gained about 40 lbs. I went to Weight Watchers, which was actually a short walk from my condo. at the time.  I lost some weight and stayed around 130 lbs. for about 10 years until my mid 40s when perimenopause started and the weight started creeping up again in spite of having continued the dieting and resuming the bike riding, the gym and walking.  After I gained about 40 lbs.  I went on Jenny Craig and lost about 20 lbs. which actually put me in a size 8 so I was pretty happy for a while.  At this point I was about 50 years old.  At 53 I was on the other side of menopause and again the weight started to creep up in spite of all my efforts. I was in a job with the narcissist boss from hell who made everyone miserable and my weight went up to about 228, which was my highest weight ever. 

I had the benefit through my health insurance for a new online type of diet program called "Omada", which offered personal diet counseling and support groups.  It's a lot like "Noom".  I lost about 20 lbs. on that and then fell and broke my arm in the parking lot at work and ended up on workers' comp. for a couple of years, then was terminated from the job wrongfully and had a lawsuit against the company, which I won.  Then my gallbladder started acting up and my gut was a mess for a while.  I couldn't eat anything with any fat in it without a lot of digestive distress so I dropped a ton of weight, putting me at about 188 lbs.  Several months later I had my gallbladder out and maintained my weight loss until the pandemic hit and my father died of Covid in 2020.  I was under so much stress that I gained back 25 lbs.  Then in 2022 I joined a medical weight loss program at my local hospital.  I was able to lose those 25 lbs., although I didn't do it with meds. because I had a bad reaction to Metformin so they told me not to try the other stuff like Ozempic.  I also lost it without bike riding and going to the gym, only a lot of walking.  Somehow over the years I started feeling less stable on the bike and rode it less and less.  I was not able to keep up the long distances I used to handle either.  So I ended up doing a lot of walking every day.  In the Winter I get around 4-5,000 steps a day but starting in the Spring into the Summer it goes up to around 7-9,000 per day.  I mostly walk at the mall and other shopping plazas, and just doing my weekly errands. 

I also haven't gone to a gym in about 8 years so I haven't been getting in much upper body exercise.  By the time I was ready to go back after all my medical issues Covid put that on hold and here I am still not going to one.  So that's been an issue of mine.  In January of 2022 I bought a stationary bike similar to a Peloton but cheaper (the Echelon).  I do that about 3-4 times a week, 30 minutes at a time.  I've wanted to bump it up but life seems to always get in the way of that.  So that's where I am right now.  Stuck on a diet plateau and an exercise rut, LOL.  I know I need to find a way out of it but right now it's all of my effort to do what I'm doing.  I too find that I get tired more easily than I used to.  I think some of that is from aging but it also might be from the Hashimoto's because one of the big symptoms is fatigue.  I also suffer from a lot of muscular aches and pains and back issues.  I sometimes "throw my back out" from doing too much exercise.  And my thighs are numb on the sides.  Some of that is probably from arthritis and benign cysts brought on by a lot of walking.  The joys of getting older!  But I push through it like always.  

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

I was always athletic and was into bike riding when I was young, although when I was in college I had a heavy schedule and didn't get much exercise although I never got above 115 lbs.  I was never a big eater but I could eat fast food and ice cream and not gain weight.  I resumed the bike riding after graduation because I missed it.  I used to ride with my husband and alone.  We'd often do 20 mile rides after work on weekdays and 60 mile rides on the weekends.  We also belonged to a gym.  We were hardcore!

In my mid 30s my life changed completely when I moved to CT and I wasn't able to get in as much riding.  I started to notice the scale creeping upward little by little over the years and when I had gained about 40 lbs. I went to Weight Watchers, which was actually a short walk from my condo. at the time.  I lost some weight and stayed around 130 lbs. for about 10 years until my mid 40s when perimenopause started and the weight started creeping up again in spite of having continued the dieting and resuming the bike riding, the gym and walking.  After I gained about 40 lbs.  I went on Jenny Craig and lost about 20 lbs. which actually put me in a size 8 so I was pretty happy for a while.  At this point I was about 50 years old.  At 53 I was on the other side of menopause and again the weight started to creep up in spite of all my efforts. I was in a job with the narcissist boss from hell who made everyone miserable and my weight went up to about 228, which was my highest weight ever. 

I had the benefit through my health insurance for a new online type of diet program called "Omada", which offered personal diet counseling and support groups.  It's a lot like "Noom".  I lost about 20 lbs. on that and then fell and broke my arm in the parking lot at work and ended up on workers' comp. for a couple of years, then was terminated from the job wrongfully and had a lawsuit against the company, which I won.  Then my gallbladder started acting up and my gut was a mess for a while.  I couldn't eat anything with any fat in it without a lot of digestive distress so I dropped a ton of weight, putting me at about 188 lbs.  Several months later I had my gallbladder out and maintained my weight loss until the pandemic hit and my father died of Covid in 2020.  I was under so much stress that I gained back 25 lbs.  Then in 2022 I joined a medical weight loss program at my local hospital.  I was able to lose those 25 lbs., although I didn't do it with meds. because I had a bad reaction to Metformin so they told me not to try the other stuff like Ozempic.  I also lost it without bike riding and going to the gym, only a lot of walking.  Somehow over the years I started feeling less stable on the bike and rode it less and less.  I was not able to keep up the long distances I used to handle either.  So I ended up doing a lot of walking every day.  In the Winter I get around 4-5,000 steps a day but starting in the Spring into the Summer it goes up to around 7-9,000 per day.  I mostly walk at the mall and other shopping plazas, and just doing my weekly errands. 

I also haven't gone to a gym in about 8 years so I haven't been getting in much upper body exercise.  By the time I was ready to go back after all my medical issues Covid put that on hold and here I am still not going to one.  So that's been an issue of mine.  In January of 2022 I bought a stationary bike similar to a Peloton but cheaper (the Echelon).  I do that about 3-4 times a week, 30 minutes at a time.  I've wanted to bump it up but life seems to always get in the way of that.  So that's where I am right now.  Stuck on a diet plateau and an exercise rut, LOL.  I know I need to find a way out of it but right now it's all of my effort to do what I'm doing.  I too find that I get tired more easily than I used to.  I think some of that is from aging but it also might be from the Hashimoto's because one of the big symptoms is fatigue.  I also suffer from a lot of muscular aches and pains and back issues.  I sometimes "throw my back out" from doing too much exercise.  And my thighs are numb on the sides.  Some of that is probably from arthritis and benign cysts brought on by a lot of walking.  The joys of getting older!  But I push through it like always.  

Thanks for the info 😊, glad you are able to still push through despite your pain.  I never thought about bike riding,  guess that might be good to try.  Did you ride on trails like mountain biking or only normal riding like through a park or neighborhood?

Edited by Irate Panda
46 minutes ago, Irate Panda said:

Thanks for the info 😊, glad you are able to still push through despite your pain.  I never thought about bike riding,  guess that might be good to try.  Did you ride on trails like mountain biking or only normal riding like through a park or neighborhood?

I started as a road rider back in the day but switched to trails because of the crazy drivers, lol.  Around me we have a "rails to trails" system where old train tracks were converted to paved walking/riding trails.  I switched from a racing bike to a hybrid.  I miss it but I had too many issues with it and worried about falling which at this age would be a real danger.  Now I walk on the trails but only with my husband because I'm afraid to do it alone anymore and he's not available for it a lot of the time.  And forget doing it in the Summer - I've become a mosquito magnet in my "old age" even slathered in bug repellent!

I love the idea of swimming.  I was an avid swimmer when I was young, but after I started coloring my hair it really started to strip and damage it so I stopped.  I know I have a lot of excuses!  I wish there were a way to do it.  I know they make hair products to help with that but I still worry they wouldn't work so well.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I started as a road rider back in the day but switched to trails because of the crazy drivers, lol.  Around me we have a "rails to trails" system where old train tracks were converted to paved walking/riding trails.  I switched from a racing bike to a hybrid.  I miss it but I had too many issues with it and worried about falling which at this age would be a real danger.  Now I walk on the trails but only with my husband because I'm afraid to do it alone anymore and he's not available for it a lot of the time.  And forget doing it in the Summer - I've become a mosquito magnet in my "old age" even slathered in bug repellent!

I love the idea of swimming.  I was an avid swimmer when I was young, but after I started coloring my hair it really started to strip and damage it so I stopped.  I know I have a lot of excuses!  I wish there were a way to do it.  I know they make hair products to help with that but I still worry they wouldn't work so well.

I love swimming! I miss swimming in the ocean and surfing.  Swim caps and Aquaguard or Trihard have helped protect my hair from the pool chemicals but I rarely dye my hair except highlights sometimes to switch things up. Thanks for the feedback.  I wasn’t that familiar with Rails to Trails, sounds like a cool project! Yes, I’d worry about crazy drivers while riding.  I worry about crazy drivers while I’m driving too! 😳

• Like 1

I really appreciate hearing how others experience midlife (and beyond) weight changes. I've been fit all my life (exercise was my therapy for ED recovery and still is), but I hit 40 a little bit before the pandemic, and between getting Covid, getting older, and getting over the bad pandemic-related habits I formed during the early 2020s, I've got an extra 20 pounds I'd like to lose. I'm a runner and always have been, but long Covid messed up my pace and endurance. Last year I had my first DNF during a marathon and it was a wake-up call. I was drinking and eating too much and running too little. I snack a lot, especially on things like crackers and nuts. On a bad day I probably consume 500 extra calories from snacking. My wife, on the other hand, eats three meals, no snacking, and has cut back on alcohol along with me, and she's almost at her goal weight. She exercises, eats and drinks the same as me, just no snacking. True, she's younger, but my healthy habits in my teens-thirties should give me a bit of an edge against perimenopause and aging. So I just have to stay the course and put away the crackers.

Thanks for letting me ramble. I think about this a lot--I'm not happy with my aging body and I don't want to live my life hating how I look. It does me no good to hate my body while stuffing it full of Cheez-its. That's not loving or kind to my body, which has honestly served me very well. I'm healthy despite a lengthy eating disorder in my teens and 20s. I recovered fully from Covid. I've never had cancer, diabetes, or any other major diseases. My body's been good to me and deserves to be treated well. And so do all of yours. <3

• Like 5
(edited)
On 5/3/2024 at 3:09 PM, monagatuna said:

I really appreciate hearing how others experience midlife (and beyond) weight changes. I've been fit all my life (exercise was my therapy for ED recovery and still is), but I hit 40 a little bit before the pandemic, and between getting Covid, getting older, and getting over the bad pandemic-related habits I formed during the early 2020s, I've got an extra 20 pounds I'd like to lose. I'm a runner and always have been, but long Covid messed up my pace and endurance. Last year I had my first DNF during a marathon and it was a wake-up call. I was drinking and eating too much and running too little. I snack a lot, especially on things like crackers and nuts. On a bad day I probably consume 500 extra calories from snacking. My wife, on the other hand, eats three meals, no snacking, and has cut back on alcohol along with me, and she's almost at her goal weight. She exercises, eats and drinks the same as me, just no snacking. True, she's younger, but my healthy habits in my teens-thirties should give me a bit of an edge against perimenopause and aging. So I just have to stay the course and put away the crackers.

Thanks for letting me ramble. I think about this a lot--I'm not happy with my aging body and I don't want to live my life hating how I look. It does me no good to hate my body while stuffing it full of Cheez-its. That's not loving or kind to my body, which has honestly served me very well. I'm healthy despite a lengthy eating disorder in my teens and 20s. I recovered fully from Covid. I've never had cancer, diabetes, or any other major diseases. My body's been good to me and deserves to be treated well. And so do all of yours. <3

I’ve been diagnosed with post covid syndrome. It involves several issues since covid last year, one being smell/taste disorder.  I’ve still had to fight to get the weight down.  Snacking was my issue too.  I’ve had good success with keeping it to nonfat yogurt and carb smart bars.  I’ve cut way back on alcohol too.  Just a couple of glasses of wine on the weekends….and sometimes I skip that.  Something I hope to resume once I lose my last 20 pounds.

I’m not male, but was curious about your approach to ED therapy. Exercise worked?  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’ve been diagnosed with post covid syndrome. It involves several issues since covid last year, one being smell/taste disorder.  I’ve still had to fight to get the weight down.  Snacking was my issue too.  I’ve had good success with keeping it to nonfat yogurt and carb smart bars.  I’ve cut way back on alcohol too.  Just a couple of glasses of wine on the weekends….and sometimes I skip that.  Something I hope to resume once I lose my last 20 pounds.

I’m not male, but was curious about your approach to ED therapy. Exercise worked?  

Sorry for the confusion. I'm not male either, by ED I mean eating disorder. Thanks for sharing your experience!

• Like 1
20 hours ago, monagatuna said:

Sorry for the confusion. I'm not male either, by ED I mean eating disorder. Thanks for sharing your experience!

So sorry. My bad.  Of course you meant eating disorder.  Makes sense. 

(edited)
On 5/3/2024 at 3:09 PM, monagatuna said:

I hear you, but in my case eating healthier didn't result in keeping the body I had before menopause.  Unfortunately aging doesn't work that way, you can only do so much after which nature has its own plans for how you will look.  Like take the post-menopausal midsection issue.  Forget it, you can eat a low carb diet and exercise all day long and still have a stomach.  It will still be there, it just shrinks.  I don't want to discourage you because eating healthier does help, it just only helps so much.  And it's different for different people.  I know women whose midsections never got bigger after menopause.  Lucky them.  Of course they're the women that never diet or exercise, LOL.  Figures!

I have a hereditary cellulite condition on my upper thighs that has come on with age and does not respond to diet or exercise.  I was told that by a doctor and have read that on medical sites.  I thought I could diet and work it off but it doesn't work that way.  Add another reason I don't want anyone to see me in a bathing suit anymore!  😒

Also, the weight redistributes itself as we age.  Now at 65 I feel like all the weight is going to my midsection and I'm skinny everywhere else.  I weigh the same as I did 5 years ago and yet I can't fit some clothes from back then anymore.  It sucks.

But that doesn't make me stop doing what I'm doing because I know it would be even worse if I didn't!  There are just some things I  have to make my peace with like the little pocket of fat under my chin.  I could go for liposuction or some other treatment but I'm trying to live with it.  I could spend all day and all my money on trying to look like I did years ago but age still wins in the end.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 2

You're correct that the "typical" post-menopausal woman's body becomes barrel-shaped (big midsection) even if the limbs remain slim.  Even women on HRT develop this problem; even women who never had children (I honestly believed both of those factors would save me from it, but they didn't).  And yet - you're correct again - there ARE older women who don't; they retain their pre-menopause, even teenage, hour-glass figure with a small waist and no belly; from the back or side (I know because I hike with some of them), they still look 20 years old!  I honestly don't know their secret; when I've asked them, the only thing they seem to have in common is that they NEVER took HRT, surprisingly.  They don't claim to diet or appear to starve themselves or seem to have EDs, and they don't exercise any more than I do with my 30 extra pounds.  It's a mystery, and I'm jealous!

• Like 2
On 5/8/2024 at 10:28 AM, Dibs said:

You're correct that the "typical" post-menopausal woman's body becomes barrel-shaped (big midsection) even if the limbs remain slim.  Even women on HRT develop this problem; even women who never had children (I honestly believed both of those factors would save me from it, but they didn't).  And yet - you're correct again - there ARE older women who don't; they retain their pre-menopause, even teenage, hour-glass figure with a small waist and no belly; from the back or side (I know because I hike with some of them), they still look 20 years old!  I honestly don't know their secret; when I've asked them, the only thing they seem to have in common is that they NEVER took HRT, surprisingly.  They don't claim to diet or appear to starve themselves or seem to have EDs, and they don't exercise any more than I do with my 30 extra pounds.  It's a mystery, and I'm jealous!

In my opinion it's often genetics, there is no "secret" and Oprah's epiphany is correct.  My nutritionist/dietician/whatever she calls herself basically agreed.

One of my best female friends is 4'11" and eats me under the table.  We worked together and ate lunch a lot together for years and still meet for lunch every month to this day even though we're now both retired.  We often eat the same thing and she often also orders dessert, eats the bread, etc., etc. and then goes home and eats a full dinner too - she used to buy extra entrees from our company cafeteria for her and her husband to eat for dinner!  I would go home and have a salad.  She is not a cook and eats out often.  And other than her daily routine she gets zero extra exercise.  She is maybe about 3 years older than me.  And she is a tiny, skinny little thing.  I can't eat anywhere near what she eats and I shop for and prepare most of my meals and have to walk and do stationary bike like a maniac and I still have a weight problem.  It's not fair.

• Applause 3
(edited)

Looks like both Kelly Clarkson and Oprah are attributing their weight loss to the drugs -- finally.  Will Whit be next???

Edited by Dibs
  • Like 2
(edited)
10 hours ago, Dibs said:

Looks like both Kelly Clarkson and Oprah are attributing their weight loss to the drugs -- finally.  Will Whit be next???

I knew Kelly was full of it when she said previously that she wasn't using any drugs.  She's saying it's not Ozempic but I'm sure it's similar.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 1
On 5/15/2024 at 11:02 AM, Dibs said:

I kind of doubt she will just up and admit that she used the drug. I'm guessing the egotist in her won't let her.  It would mean her admitting that she couldn't do it herself without outside help/drugs.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I kind of doubt she will just up and admit that she used the drug. I'm guessing the egotist in her won't let her.  It would mean her admitting that she couldn't do it herself without outside help/drugs.

I can't put shitney  in the same list as the other 2.

• Like 1

They're showing a lot of pics of Whitney lately looking much thinner in the face.  It appears her body and legs are pretty much wrecked, however, by carrying that much weight nearly into her 40s.  Could be lymphedema, too.  Seems if she continues to lose, she may need skin surgery.

1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

I don't know why my post disappeared.  I didn't insult her or call her "shitney" or anything.  I just said I thought her videos about meeting men were dumb and that some people think she uses an editor to make her face look thinner - I didn't even say I thought that.  And I said it looks like she has some hanging flesh which was already mentioned in other words above.  What is wrong with that?  Others can say these things but I can't?  Why am I being singled out?  I am not fat shaming anyone.  I am obese myself.  WTF?

This is what they do now .you can't find anyone,they give no reasons,they don't answer messages.They have turn this place intro a shit hole.one little hurt feeling and that's it even if it makes no sense.Go over to reddit. death is near for4 this place.

9 hours ago, parkinglola said:

This is what they do now .you can't find anyone,they give no reasons,they don't answer messages.They have turn this place intro a shit hole.one little hurt feeling and that's it even if it makes no sense.Go over to reddit. death is near for4 this place.

I agree with you but I just realized why I got confused - the person I replied to put the same post in 2 threads for this show and I didn't realize that when I looked at this thread and didn't see my post under it.  Although I have had other posts disappear in other threads which is probably why I jumped to that conclusion.