Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E12: Steal Away

After a series of inexplicable events, Bellamy fears for the safety of Rachael and her unborn child. Preacher James predicts that the baby's birth will unleash an ancient evil. Margaret rallies the Returned at the government facility and forms an uneasy alliance with Preacher James, and Bellamy's government contact warns that something big is on the horizon,

Preacher James predicts that the baby's birth will unleash an ancient evil.

Is Rachel's middle name Rosemary ?  An ancient evil, seriously ?  If Rachel names her baby Damien, then we'll know for sure.

Margaret rallies the Returned at the government facility

Bitchy Grandma is the new Spartacus.

Bellamy's government contact warns that something big is on the horizon

Did gov't lady's math predict this -- otherwise, how would she know anything is afoot ?  Did she kill herself and resurrect with new found info ?

The "Rachel's baby is special" trope continues -- not only can it cure the Resurrected virus, but now it is apparently a magnet for the Resurrected.

It's a good thing daisies aren't a common flower that can be found everywhere.

I was waiting for Preacher James to whip out the snakes to help with his little vision quest at the church -- which was basically just flashbacks from the shared vision with Bellamy.

Did they have a funeral for Henry ?  Since he still died, and they have a body to bury.  Or are they just going to toss his body in the dumpster ?

Bitchy Grandma is the new shop steward for the Resurrected Local 101 (We have rights.)  Ummm, no you don't.

As soon as Preacher James states to Bellamy that "No, these berries are poisonous, I was just weeding", you knew he was going to go all Jim Jones on the Resurrected at the Federal facility.  Jailbreak by Resurrection.  Since Preacher James has some practice with this, he should have them all resurrected and back in Arcadia just under an hour.  And Voila !! They're all back ready to do Preacher James bidding.

It turns out that BG had a deal with Preacher James -- if he got them all out of Federal lockup, she would tell him how to wish away Resurrecteds into the corn field by recreating the conditions from the movie Frozen (Let It go !!  Hey, this is ABC/Disney). Of course, BG welches on the deal. Preacher James is convinced that Rachel's baby is .... the Anti-Christ, but that doesn't stop BG from working with him, so I guess she wants Rachel's baby dead as well.

The siege of the Langston home is all queued up for next week by Preacher James and his followers.  Can I get an amen ?

Oh, and according to Federal woman's computer models, there are evenly spaced resurrections coming all over the planet -- and soon.  Seriously, resurrections have been going on for hundreds of years, approx. once a century.  Oh noes !!!!

She's [gov't lady] already returned once, right?  Plane crash, remember!

I thought maybe she was, but they didn't show her having the unborn-baby-induced trance that all the other Returneds were having.  I guess they could have been "cheating" to throw us off.  Maybe she is a Returned, anticipated the trance, and developed and administered to herself a medication that would prevent it (rolls eyes).  I wouldn't put anything past these so-called writers.

So now the unborn baby is giving Jacob pains just like Harry Potter gets from Voldemort?  Oh no, baby Voldemort is coming!  Why didn't any of the other Returneds have any baby pains?  Jenny, Henry, etc. all seemed to feel fine.  Tonight is the first time Jacob actively annoyed me.  I wish he'd fall into a hole with his stupid grandmother.

Edited by Blue Plastic
  • Love 2
She's already returned once, right?  Plane crash, remember!

That was sort of hinted at, but never actually confirmed.

Why didn't any of the other Returneds have any baby pains?

Jacob is also the only one who was able to sense other returned people, isn't he? I think he's special some how.  I doubt we'll ever find out how/why?

Jacob is also the only one who was able to sense other returned people, isn't he? I think he's special some how.  I doubt we'll ever find out how/why?

Maybe he is.  I almost thought I remembered them saying at one point that all the Returned could sense each other, but maybe I'm imaging that or they dropped that idea.  Anyway, it would have been nice if Jacob had mentioned his baby headache to someone other than Bitchy Grandma.

She's [gov't lady] already returned once, right?  Plane crash, remember!

I thought maybe she was, but they didn't show her having the unborn-baby-induced trance that all the other Returneds were having.

Yes, I figured I was wrong when she didn't go into the trance with the others.  Maybe she was just a genuine sole survivor of the plane crash.

Preacher James' strong resemblance to an adult Jacob continues to distract me!  Coincidence, or deliberate casting?

They certainly look more alike than Kurtwood Smith (with his little button nose!) and Matt Craven (with that big beak!) look like any kind of brothers. 

• Love 3

I had assumed Jacob was just experiencing sympathetic labor pains, so no reason to tell anyone. It seemed to be an intermittent pain, not that he was feeling sick and had to take to bed continually, he just needed to get some air or take a little break. But Grandma interpreted it as confirmation of the pastor being right.

I'm sure mob justice is what Jesus would do, right? God approves of lynch mobs?

People should just listen to themselves and think for two seconds before inciting a riot.

• Love 1

Oh, and according to Federal woman's computer models, there are evenly spaced resurrections coming all over the planet -- and soon.  Seriously, resurrections have been going on for hundreds of years, approx. once a century.  Oh noes !!!!

Resurrections all over the planet, except for Canada (and Russia?) I noticed.

[and I love your analyses otto]

• Love 2

Did they have a funeral for Henry ?  Since he still died, and they have a body to bury.  Or are they just going to toss his body in the dumpster ?

This got me wondering: how does all this resurrection affect the funeral business? Would there be many more cemeteries and crematoriums, or would there be fewer? 

• Love 2
Would there be many more cemeteries and crematoriums, or would there be fewer?

Well they have to get rid of the bodies somehow or it will really start to smell.  I'm guessing more cemeteries and crematoriums, but less actual funeral services, memorials, wakes, etc.  

Anyone know why this is a short season?  Next week is the season finale?  Seems BG didn't believe preacher James about the baby until Jacob said it was hurting him.  Shocked when Maggie admitted being nervous because she had never delivered a baby.  Really, now I'm shocked, you have done everything including forensics, how did you miss baby delivery.  Did Rachel kill Tom's wife?  Why no fallout?  What happen to bar girls brother and his crazy gang of "returned" haters.  This show really is all over the place, yet I continue to watch.

I'm glad next week is the season (*coughseriescough*) finale. I can't take much more of this. Just wrap it up, show, and let's all go to sleep next Sunday night with clean palates.

I was waiting for Pastor James to whip himself in that weird scene with him having visions while praying or whatever, shirtless and kneeling.

The Wild Sow, I was thinking the same thing about the brothers' noses last night! (have to think about something interesting during this mess that I keep watching because ... um ... )

And even with all the other BS happening during the episode, I had to ask if Maggie ever really attended med school if she's never delivered a baby. Two of my three kids are MDs (the other's the black sheep with a PhD) - and both had to deliver babies in OB-GYN rotations. Neither ever want to do so again (a shrink and a PCP) but they had to learn how. But then, with this show, incompetence seems to be a job requirement, so ....

, I had to ask if Maggie ever really attended med school if she's never delivered a baby. Two of my three kids are MDs (the other's the black sheep with a PhD) - and both had to deliver babies in OB-GYN rotations. Neither ever want to do so again (a shrink and a PCP) but they had to learn how. But then, with this show, incompetence seems to be a job requirement, so ....

Instead of the standard OB-GYN rotation, Maggie must have done a rotation in curing rare diseases off of stem cells or something.

• Love 1

So now the unborn baby is giving Jacob pains just like Harry Potter gets from Voldemort? Oh no, baby Voldemort is coming! Why didn't any of the other Returneds have any baby pains? Jenny, Henry, etc. all seemed to feel fine.

BABY VOLDEMORT! I think I just died. And returned. Everything is so clear, now! Jacob is a horcrux. The True Living are Death Eaters. The whole town of Arcadia is under the influence of a powerful memory charm that has caused them to forget pretty much everything that ever happened, for example Deputy Carl presumably awaiting trial, or Ray's return-related Ebola (unless Maggie fixed him with her magical vaccine while I wasn't paying attention).

Edited by The Mighty Peanut
There are lots of plots but they are left hanging here, there and everywhere.  Does anyone think they had a plan when they started because I'm pretty sure they've abandoned it now.

They strayed pretty far from the book in the first season, and Season 2 has all been completely invented by the writers.

This was me 9 minutes in: "What?! .... What?!!"

I freely admit to not understanding what is happening on this show or why it's happening.

Also, why does preacher 2.0 have an accent?

Good question. Along with why is there even a preacher 2.0? Were the writers as bored with preacher 1.0 as we, the viewers, were? Even with a love triangle, which I admit for some reason usually holds my interest, this one held even less interest for me than watching an episode of the Kardashians. Which is to say, ZERO.  I thought Bitchy Grandma was interesting for a bit, but now that she is starring in a warped version of Orange is the New Black, not so much.

I just wish they would give us an answer before fading off into cancellation land, but I am pretty sure the writers don't know where they are going any more than we do.

I swear, this is my last show with supernatural overtones. I either hate them altogether, or I actually get interested only to watch them stumble into some confused mess (UTD, Lost) where I give up, or everyone else gives up while I am still watching and the show gets. canceled.

I'm sticking with BRAVO's stupid reality shows. Those Housewives never go away.     

There are lots of plots but they are left hanging here, there and everywhere.  Does anyone think they had a plan when they started because I'm pretty sure they've abandoned it now.

I'm going to echo what otto said. The writers couldn't stick close to the book because the middle of the book was said to be (I haven't read it myself) focused on the day-to-day lives of the Returned living in concentration camps, with Bellamy as the Secretary of the Department of the Returned (or something like that). So the writers just went to town for S2 making it up as they went along. I've known people who do bong hits all day and come up with better storylines than what these writers have churned out for S2. The writers might have abandoned the book's plot but they didn't abandon anyyhing else because they never had a plan in the first place.

Edited by Tabasco Cat
  • Love 1