Type keyword(s) to search

Alyssa and John: Lunch with Lurch

• Start Topic

Please forgive, as I am going through some personal stuff right now. I just watched the Webster vlog. They are selling hats, right? Just hats? Why is Alyssa acting like she has a cure for cancer? It's a freaking hat! It's not even a cute hat. She's talking about her whole life has been leading to this moment and it's a hat.

I missed something, right? Tell me I missed the point of this because Alyssa is doing a hard sale on a freaking hat. 

• Hugs 1
  • LOL 9
  • Love 1
57 minutes ago, RebeccatheWriter said:

Please forgive, as I am going through some personal stuff right now. I just watched the Webster vlog. They are selling hats, right? Just hats? Why is Alyssa acting like she has a cure for cancer? It's a freaking hat! It's not even a cute hat. She's talking about her whole life has been leading to this moment and it's a hat.

I missed something, right? Tell me I missed the point of this because Alyssa is doing a hard sale on a freaking hat. 

The worst was the comment section, telling her she should invest in all this fancy printing and labeling equipment. Um, I don't think she's going to need any of that. The business isn't going to last long. 

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

In the youtube video she is unpacking hats. She must have ordered a thousand. She said that she has been working on this for a long time.  I cannot imagine how much money they are going to lose on this. On the other hand maybe i'm wrong and they will be wildly popular. 

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Useful 1
3 minutes ago, ranchgirl said:

Quick, hurry and run ... there is a 10% sale on the merch (hats) for 24  hours.  

I just saw that on Instagram, lol.

I honestly feel bad for Alyssa at this point. UnCheerfullyU is only a week old and she already needs to have a sale? Her latest post with Rhett only has 96 likes and no comments, despite being up for four hours. 

I don't know if she fell into the trap of thinking her following was more loyal or what, but this was a really bad idea from jump. She might as well donate the hats to Goodwill and write off the loss. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 2
59 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I'm a bit confused, is there more to CheerfullyU than hats? 

As far as product, no. You can read a bunch of blah, blah, blah on the website though!

• LOL 1
On 8/24/2024 at 1:55 AM, BitterApple said:

No, it's one style of hat, available in three sizes. 

They couldn’t have made some T-shirts as well. Or I don’t know ask their audience what sort of things they would buy. 

• Like 5
23 minutes ago, FizzyPuff said:

They couldn’t have made some T-shirts as well. Or I don’t know ask their audience what sort of things they would buy. 

Of course they could've. Or key chains or bible covers or beer koozies.  I suspect that the hats were the cheapest option and they bought the minimum number to get them at a discount.

For all their talk about how entrepreneurial they are, most fundies seem to lack business sense.  They seem to fall for all sorts of MLM and other marketing schemes regularly.

• Like 8
47 minutes ago, Notabug said:

Of course they could've. Or key chains or bible covers or beer koozies.  I suspect that the hats were the cheapest option and they bought the minimum number to get them at a discount.

For all their talk about how entrepreneurial they are, most fundies seem to lack business sense.  They seem to fall for all sorts of MLM and other marketing schemes regularly.

They have the typical build it (buy it) and they will come mentality. On Reddit and other places there are people who compliment Carlin for coming up with the idea of BSB. They repeat the tongue-in-cheek phrasing of Gil describing Alyssa as someone who (as a teen) would do your taxes and design a logo for you. 

Yay they figured out how to create an online store selling cheap and fast "fashion" in the form of dresses, tops, and now Alyssa with the hats. Carlin didn't exactly break the glass ceiling with her idea to do what others were doing with the benefit of a show advertising for you. They break many business rules by buying too late in the season and clearly buying too much (their in-person sales are ridiculously overstocked). She and Whitney have hired someone to manage the store but have made no known efforts to learn anything themselves. Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen when someday they hire someone who decides to steal from them. They are relying on their followers at this point and creating their marketing (photos, videos, and social media) weeks after grown-up retailers have already pushed theirs out. They did a preview of fall drop three weeks ago on their Instagram and were still promoting sleeveless flower dresses as of four weeks ago. Last Valentine's they started promoting dresses for Valentine's day FOUR days before the holiday. Shipping takes longer than that. 

Alyssa has focused on one item in a variety of sizes, but her marketing only targets men. Her audience is female. She admits that she doesn't even like wearing what she is selling. Her setup is ridiculous with replacing the toys in the cabinets with various sizes of hats. So if she makes a sale, does she have to open the cabinets to get the items and box them on the ground? Her girls are doing "school" on the first floor and she's now making it so she has to leave them and haul herself upstairs to do the hat stuff. Even if she traipses downstairs to box and ship, she's got a toddler to deal with and four children who she needs to be supervising. I would have thought it would make sense to buy a cabinet to put in the dining room and use the table as a shipping station. I certainly hope John runs out and ships them for her since she'd have to lug five kids to the UPS store, USPS, etc. The hats are more of a giveaway that you would ship when someone bought $50 or $100 of merch from you. 

• Like 6

Someone, somewhere (I forget where I saw it) figured out that Alyssa bought 600 hats, divided among the 3 sizes. As of there writing, she had only sold a small handful. Like 9 children's and a few more toddler's. Something like 30 adult's. No wonder she already had a flash sale (24 hours). I wonder how that went, getting $2-3 off. 🙄

• Like 4
26 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Someone, somewhere (I forget where I saw it) figured out that Alyssa bought 600 hats, divided among the 3 sizes. As of there writing, she had only sold a small handful. Like 9 children's and a few more toddler's. Something like 30 adult's. No wonder she already had a flash sale (24 hours). I wonder how that went, getting $2-3 off. 🙄

Someone on Reddit added all the stock to their shopping cart when she launched, and now they can see how many have been sold, yep! 😆

• Like 6

Maybe its just me, but shouldn't hats and such come after a rollout of whatever the business plan is?

Like there weren't any John Deere hats before there were John Deere tractors. Cheerfully U means nothing to me. Actually the U makes me think of university.

Even C&E called themselves the Stew Crew for a few years prior to selling their "merch".

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Maybe its just me, but shouldn't hats and such come after a rollout of whatever the business plan is?

Like there weren't any John Deere hats before there were John Deere tractors. Cheerfully U means nothing to me. Actually the U makes me think of university.

Even C&E called themselves the Stew Crew for a few years prior to selling their "merch".

Right? Weren’t trucker hats a “thing” like 15+ years ago? 🤣

• Like 4

The Redditer figured out Alyssa sold 66 out of the 600 hats, but I wonder how many orders that translated to? If people were purchasing say, an adult and a couple of kids hats per transaction, the numbers could be even more dismal. 

• Like 3

Oh, I didn't take into account a couple hats on one order. She could really have like 30 total sales. 

1 minute ago, GeeGolly said:

A quick Google search reveals wholesale orders of custom caps run anywhere from $.01 to around $10.00 per cap.

How much is Alyssa charging?

$30 for the adult. I forget the kids' pricing, but around $20ish. 

• Like 5