Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday Music: Christmas, Halloween, Hanukkah, and more!

FormerMod-a1
  • Start Topic

Catch all for all kinds of music for all kinds of holidays.  

_ _ _ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ _

I, personally, wish more holidays had themed music.   I suppose Valentine's Day could be any love song..  and there are a few Halloween songs (which I'll post some of my faves later).

I do celebrate Christmas, so here are a couple of my favorites.

Late to the party, but I recently discovered this, and I love it!

And these:

• Like 1
  • Love 1

One of my favorite Christmas songs (which is so good, I listen to it all year long) is God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen by The Barenaked Ladies.

Their unique arrangement of the song turned an almost forgotten Christmas tune into a new standard.

I also like a tune from the folk group, The Chad Mitchell Trio, who recorded "The Marvelous Toy" back in 1963. 

Best part is, you just can't figure out just what the toy is!

• Like 1
  • Love 2

So glad I found this thread!

My favorite Christmas CDs:

- Nat King Cole - The Christmas Song

- The Ramsey Lewis Trio - Sound of Christmas

- A Very Special Christmas 2 - various artists for Special Olympics 

There is only one song I absolutely hate:  "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas."  Maybe it's because I first heard Kathie Lee Gifford singing it, but I've hated it ever since, no matter who sings it. 

I also love "Last Christmas" by Wham! and "All I Want for Christmas is You" by Mariah Carey.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 1

My favorite Christmas song is "Carol of the Bells."  I've yet to find a version I didn't like.

I also like "This Christmas" by Patti LaBelle.

I like some of the songs by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

My least favorite Christmas song is "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer."

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I don't really care for Auld Lang Syne.  I think it's because around this time it's used ad nauseum in every other show, commercial, etc.

New Years could definitely use more songs.

Edited by InDueTime
  • Love 2

I like holiday music - both new and old - and this will sound so weird, but I love Mannheim Steamroller's somewhat melancholy instrumental take of "Silent Night"/"Still Nacht". It's beautiful, even if it vaguely depresses me. That version reminds me of maybe someone mourning lost loved ones around the holidays or something. If you haven't heard it, listen for yourself:

I know, the holidays are over, but it's January. Still acceptable to listen.  :-)

• Love 2

Xmas has arrived... sort of.

The one radio station that goes 24 hour Christmas music began this week - not even waiting until after Thanksgiving.  Dish beat them by 2 weeks - having their holiday music channels up on the guide.  At least it improves the local airplay.

I love Dish's Holiday Traditions channel - Thanks to their playlist I found out about a collection of Christmas martini music!!

• Love 1

"Christmas Is The Time To Say I Love You" by Billy Squier is my favorite Christmas song. I have such great memories of my mom and I watching MTV all day just to see the video again.

I don't know anybody else who has ever heard of the song but its my favorite.

I don't know how to link it.

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 2

For some reason mine oscillates between a simple Jingle Bells hum and the Pogue's fairytale of New York. 

I really like Jingle Bells tune. When I'm stressed it's my go to ditty. (Did someone say that christmas songs help us manage stress? Or is it urban psychopop legend)

• Love 1

Xmas has arrived... sort of.

The one radio station that goes 24 hour Christmas music began this week - not even waiting until after Thanksgiving.  Dish beat them by 2 weeks - having their holiday music channels up on the guide.  At least it improves the local airplay.

I love Dish's Holiday Traditions channel - Thanks to their playlist I found out about a collection of Christmas martini music!!

I can beat that--I was living just over the stateline in Indiana last year near Louisville, and one of the radio stations switched to Christmas music early--as in, the day before Halloween.

WTF?

The only two Christmas songs I can stand in the original are Do They Know it's Christmas (Band Aid) and the aforementioned Last Christmas (Wham!). 

Years ago I picked up A Black Tie Christmas cd with all instrumental classical versions of the Christmas standards.  I quite enjoy this.

The radio station I listen to for a bit in the AM has gone full-Christmas til Boxing Day (Dec. 26). I have changed stations.

I know I plug them to death as they get little North American airplay, but feel free to check out James Dean Bradfield's (Manic Street Preachers) version of 'Last Christmas' (outshines Wham's version) and an original composition of 'Ghosts of Christmas' (apologies to Slade).

Last Christmas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K16CRyfqwdg

Christmas Ghost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulR1oz47lg0

The radio station I listen to for a bit in the AM has gone full-Christmas til Boxing Day (Dec. 26). I have changed stations.

I know I plug them to death as they get little North American airplay, but feel free to check out James Dean Bradfield's (Manic Street Preachers) version of 'Last Christmas' (outshines Wham's version) and an original composition of 'Ghosts of Christmas' (apologies to Slade).

Last Christmas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K16CRyfqwdg

Christmas Ghost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulR1oz47lg0

I misread this as Sade and my mind shut down.

My favorite not-traditional Christmas song is "2000 Miles" sung by Holly Cole. Just gorgeous.

My current favorite traditional song is "Silent Night"--I love Pentatonix's arrangement.

Edited by Sharpie66

"Christmas Is The Time To Say I Love You" by Billy Squier is my favorite Christmas song. I have such great memories of my mom and I watching MTV all day just to see the video again.

I don't know anybody else who has ever heard of the song but its my favorite.

I don't know how to link it.

I've heard of it and love it! Also remember - back when MTV was in its infancy - the VJs and Billy Squier dancing around the (then) small studio as Billy Squier sang the song.

A group called SR-71 also covered it on one of the "Very Special Christmas" compilations, and it was pretty good. Here:

• Love 1

Thank you WendyCR72. I love the Billy Squier version the best. I have a CD that I bought just for the song. The YouTube video is on a continuous loop at my house this time of year.

The video with Squier singing and the VJs dancing around is the video my mom and I would sit for hours waiting for.

I have the best memories of me and my mom waiting for that video and singing and dancing when it came on.

I don't know anybody else who knows that song.

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 1

Thank you WendyCR72. I love the Billy Squier version the best. I have a CD that I bought just for the song. The YouTube video is on a continuous loop at my house this time of year.

The video with Squier singing and the VJs dancing around is the video my mom and I would sit for hours waiting for.

I have the best memories of me and my mom waiting for that video and singing and dancing when it came on.

I don't know anybody else who knows that song.

I remember it too. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnOBggLe0tY

• Love 1

Easily my favorite Christmas song is this nugget from a great Christmas concert album by the folk group The Kingston Trio...The banjo work is amazing..the vocals are divine...

Enjoy..It's the Kingston Trio doing "We Three Kings" from an album called "On a Cold Winter's Night)...This is a studio bonus track but what a track:

I'm surprised nobody's linked this one, recorded just before Der Bingle's death in 1977:

I LOVE this version despite not really being a fan of David Bowie - and Bing Crosby was my grandparents' generation, so...  But yes, I love this arrangement.

The best Christmas song ever and it's also the best performance ever, is "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" sung by Judy Garland. Seriously, it is my favorite one and I try to find as many versions as possible. I have Rosemary Clooney, Sinatra, Ella who actually makes it swing and others. But Judy is by far the best rendition. 

LeAnn Rimes does "All I Want for Christmas is You" which is not the same tune sung by Mariah Carey. LeAnn's version is not very country but it's very sexy, blues-ish. I do love Mariah's song as well...a lot.

• Love 1

I'm not a huge Judy Garland fan, but I'm so irrationally annoyed by the revised lyrics to Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas that hers is my favorite rendition.

I'm not a huge Christmas music fan in general.  Of traditional tunes, Carol of the Bells is about all that comes to mind.  Unless Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer counts.

Others that make my list:

John Lennon & Yoko Ono, Happy Xmas (War is Over)

Mariah Carey, All I Want for Christmas is You

Jon Bon Jovi, Please Come Home for Christmas

The Pogues feat. Kirsty MacColl, Fairytale of New York

Band Aid, Do They Know it's Christmas?

Dean Martin, A Marshmallow World

The Ramones, Merry Christmas (I Don't Want to Fight Tonight)

The Band, Christmas Must be Tonight

Louis Armstrong, Christmas Night in Harlem

Tom Waits, Christmas Card From a Hooker in Minneapolis

Joni Mitchell, River

Elvis Presley, Blue Christmas

Dolly Parton & Kenny Rogers, Christmas Without You

Wham, Last Christmas

Pretenders, 2000 Miles

Brenda Lee, Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree

I'm surprised nobody's linked this one, recorded just before Der Bingle's death in 1977:

I did, in the very first post in this topic.  :-P  I agree, it's one of my absolute favorites.

ETA: I'll add another one.  The Bells of St Victor.  Not a lot of people know it, but I really like it.

aquarian1, it's very McCartney/Beatlesque to me, which is not a bad thing. Not surprising that Andrew Gold would have done it this way as The Fab 4 would have been a huge influence on him. An underrated guy who was Ronstadt's long time band leader up until Simple Dreams, I think.

I like this and have never heard it before. Thanks.  

• Love 1

I hate this song with the fire of a thousand burning suns.  I can't change the radio station quick enough.  The only other songs which come close in awfulness is Mariah Carey's All I Want For Christmas Is You and any version ever of Santa Baby.  Which is now stuck in my head.  Argh!!!!!!

John Lennon & Yoko Ono, Happy Xmas (War is Ove

The only Christmas song I hate more than this one is Paul McCartney's Simply Having A Wonderful Christmastime.  I will walk out of a store if it comes on. 

• Love 1

That one I join you in loathing.  Although I dislike far more Christmas songs than I like, it's one of the few that I truly hate to the point that, yeah, I would leave if that was the only way to escape it. 

• Love 1

Here's my contribution to this thread:

Christmas Rappin' by Kurtis Blow.

It's the best!  I remember them playing it at my office Christmas party.  My boss was an older guy who didn't realize how long the song was when he was dancing.  About halfway through he had to go sit down.  Good times!

Here's my contribution to this thread:

Christmas Rappin' by Kurtis Blow.

I like that one, but it reminded me of maybe my very favorite - I've never gotten tired of The Waitresses' Christmas Wrapping.  (I apologize in advance, but all the videos for this song are distractingly horrible - hence the static screen.)

Edited by harrie

The only Christmas song I hate more than this one is Paul McCartney's Simply Having A Wonderful Christmastime.  I will walk out of a store if it comes on. 

I had managed to forget this horror until I heard it on the radio yesterday on the way home from work.  If I'd changed the radio station any faster, I'd have caused an accident.  Which would at least have made it stop.

I'm not a huge Judy Garland fan, but I'm so irrationally annoyed by the revised lyrics to Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas that hers is my favorite rendition.

I'm not a huge Christmas music fan in general.  Of traditional tunes, Carol of the Bells is about all that comes to mind.  Unless Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer counts.

Others that make my list:

Mariah Carey, All I Want for Christmas is You

Jon Bon Jovi, Please Come Home for Christmas

The Pogues feat. Kirsty MacColl, Fairytale of New York

Band Aid, Do They Know it's Christmas?

Dean Martin, A Marshmallow World

The Ramones, Merry Christmas (I Don't Want to Fight Tonight)

The Band, Christmas Must be Tonight

Louis Armstrong, Christmas Night in Harlem

Tom Waits, Christmas Card From a Hooker in Minneapolis

Joni Mitchell, River

Elvis Presley, Blue Christmas

Dolly Parton & Kenny Rogers, Christmas Without You

Wham, Last Christmas

Pretenders, 2000 Miles

Brenda Lee, Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree

That's a very good list, the only two I would add are:

Beach Boys, Little St. Nick

Stevie Wonder, What Christmas Means To Me