Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion: The apple was poisoned?!

• Start Topic

If they follow the pattern of 4A, I can see them bringing all the characters from the Arthurian Cycle in 4B (only in the Round Table they have 24 knights to choose).

In fact, I think that "elderly, grizzled and unflappable knight" they were casting is Percival.

Once has never done legendary/fairy tale characters that weren't super iconic in Western culture, though. It's a question of what's most marketable in the context of the Disney universe. Oz, Wonderland, and Neverland are all pretty well-known, but the Knights of the Round-Table aren't usually recognizable to audiences of all ages, unless you're talking about Lancelot.

Edited by KingOfHearts

They have been burning characters and stories since season 1 (Cinderella). 

But that's hardly the same thing, though. Characters like Cinderella, Nova, etc., were never meant be more than minor characters. I was talking about the half-season villain-arcs we have been having, starting with Cora (sort-of), Home Office, Pan, and Zelena. Frozen fits the mold as well, even though Elsa is not a villain like the rest of them. And it seems most likely that Elizabeth Mitchell may carry over as the 4B Big Bad. As long as she has at least a minor presence in 4A, that might work to bridge the gap between the two half-seasons.  

It seems to me like these self-contained half-season arcs are risky business. You can watch the first episode that completes the previous cliffhanger and sets up the story, decide you aren't interested in this story, then drop out until the half-season finale that sets up the next story and not really miss anything because they seem to hit a big reset button at the end of each half season, and we don't see a lot of consequences. And these guest villains seem so external, no matter how many people they're related to. They end up not really mattering to the lives of our main characters because they're gone and then forgotten within about thirty seconds.

I hope maybe the fact that Elsa isn't a villain and that they have set up a potential consequence in Rumple and the dagger deception means they'll shake up the pattern. Oh, and the poor Regina whose two-date relationship is threatened because she didn't get to execute his wife in this timeline storyline, but I don't care about that other than the Team Marian t-shirt I need to make.

• Love 3

Once has never done legendary/fairy tale characters that weren't super iconic in Western culture, though. It's a question of what's most marketable in the context of the Disney universe. Oz, Wonderland, and Neverland are all pretty well-known, but the Knights of the Round-Table aren't usually recognizable to audiences of all ages, unless you're talking about Lancelot.

Oh, I know. I was talking about quantity ;-) Of course they would not include such obscure characters. But Morgana would be a hell of a villian.

• Love 2

Oh, I know. I was talking about quantity ;-) Of course they would not include such obscure characters. But Morgana would be a hell of a villian.

Sorry, I misread your post! Morgana would be great for the Dark Fairy.

I still have no clue about the unflappable knight spoiler. The White Knight, perhaps?

Edited by KingOfHearts

Agreed.  If done right, she'd easily be at least a Cora-level villain who would give Regina (and our intrepid heroes) a run for her money, but hopefully not as overpowered as Zelena was.

Sorry stacey!

Back to spoilers

I still have no clue about the unflappable knight spoiler. The White Knight, perhaps?

I'm totally clueless here. I have mentioned Percival because the spoiler talks about the Holy Grial. But it would be too much.

But , hey, who knows, maybe he is the old knight from Indiana Jones :-)

Edited by RadioGirl27

He might have to do with Robin Hood. King Richard left the kingdom for the Crusades, so the Holy Grail wouldn't be too far off.

If it's the White Knight, he could possibly working under Will and Ana in their kingdom since they're the White King and Queen, respectively. In the books, the white knight is an old knight on a horse who's a bit quirky and uncoordinated.

Maybe when it gets closer to time it'll be as obvious as Elizabeth Mitchell.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 2

Josh posted a S4 wig-shelf pic.

Hook's new outfit hint:

I emailed Ocean Drive Leather to verify as to whether or not Emma’s new leather jacket is from them. It’s not, so I might be able to find it soon.

HOWEVER, they let me know that they just created a “really cool black motorcycle jacket” for Hook! So we can look forward to that no doubt being a part of his new modern wardrobe!

Edited by Souris
  • Love 4
the ABC series is casting the role of an elderly, grizzled and unflappable knight who for many, many years has dedicated himself to serving a righteous cause.

Maybe an older Ivanhoe? Or maybe it's King Richard and they'll also cast an Ivanhoe. Robin and his Merry Men are part of that story so there would be that connection.

Ivanhoe makes the most sense to me at the moment, though Richard is another option. I think, that Robin needs to be fleshed out a bit more, they have to make Robin more relatable, or sympathetic. Maybe a fairy back to explain why Robin thought Marian's (seeming) death was his fault.

Edited by katusch
  • Love 1

Between Ivanhoe and Richard the Lionheart, I hope is the first one. Richard was a real historical figure and, as a history teacher, I dread what they would do with him. Lionheart is already a controversial figure so I prefer that the show doesn't mess with it.

Ivanhoe is a fictional character and he shares a story with Robin, so yeah it's probably him.

Edited by RadioGirl27

the ABC series is casting the role of an elderly, grizzled and unflappable knight who for many, many years has dedicated himself to serving a righteous cause.

Don Quixote came to mind right away!

Don Quixote came to mind right away!

As he did to several other posters upthread.  However, there's no discernible connection between him and anyone else in Storybrooke -- and there would have to be a Sancho Panza and a Dulcinea to go along with him.

My money's on Ivanhoe or one of the Knights of the Round Table as a way to backdoor Camelot as the setting for 4B.  I know Adam and Eddie have said that they're really not comfortable with the idea of doing Arthurian legend, but they also once swore that they'd never do time travel, either, and we all know what happened to that resolve.

Another factor that points to it being Ivanhoe is that there is a new movie adaptation of Ivanhoe that is currently in production.  If it's being produced by a Disney property, the synergy is going to be irresistible.

Edited by legaleagle53

I know Adam and Eddie have said that they're really not comfortable with the idea of doing Arthurian legend, but they also once swore that they'd never do time travel, either, and we all know what happened to that

So they said that about the Arthurian legend and yet they have already misused Lancelot and mentioned Excalibur. Another proof of their lack of consistency.

Another factor that points to it being Ivanhoe is that there is a new movie adaptation of Ivanhoe that is currently in production. If it's being produced by a Disney property, the synergy is going to be irresistible.

Really, Ivanhoe is the chatacter that makes more sense, and more now.

And, please, please, please, no Don Quixote.

Another factor that points to it being Ivanhoe is that there is a new movie adaptation of Ivanhoe that is currently in production.  If it's being produced by a Disney property, the synergy is going to be irresistible.

The production in development I heard of has nothing to do with Disney. It's a European production (Egoli Tossell, Berlin, Morena Films, Madrid, and others). Has been in development for a while, but seems to have gained momentum recently. Is there another?

Edited by katusch

How often are these completely accurate?  I think we are focusing on the misdirect.  As far as casting goes "elderly" and "grizzled" gets them a physical type.  "Unflappable" and "dedicated to a righteous cause" puts out that they need an actor who can project a certain kind of gravitas.

"Knight" gets them nothing.  It doesn't change the actors that come in.  So I'm thinking that is the misdirect to avoid casting calls dropping spoilers.  If its a knight, it almost has to be the knight from Indiana Jones as @RadioGirl27 jokingly mentioned.  They aren't going to make Robin's contemporaries, Richard and Ivanhoe, or Arthurian Knights elderly and grizzled.

Throw out "knight" from the casting spoiler and you get a perfect description of Disney's version of Merlin and maybe it opens up other possibilities.

• Love 1

They aren't going to make Robin's contemporaries, Richard and Ivanhoe, or Arthurian Knights elderly and grizzled.

Throw out "knight" from the casting spoiler and you get a perfect description of Disney's version of Merlin and maybe it opens up other possibilities.

Why not elderly? I can see it with Richard, even with Ivanhoe. Arthur's myth is no contemporary of Robin Hood anyway, and they had not much to do with each other, but they're doing their own twist on tales so who knows. Concerning age as well, It's not like Snow White is still some teenage girl just reaching marital age in their version either. Of course seeing how they waste iconic characters might be they do a five minute short fairy back moment with Merlin. I don't think that knight is that misleading though in the call, it suggests they're looking for someone looking like a person who is or was used to wield a sword, wear armor, gives the impression of battle skills, regardless if he has the title of a knight or is something else. Not that Merlin can't have that too, it's not like someone studying books and magic (science) can't have some impressive six-pack and biceps. Maybe it's just me having the picture of a more sturdy person in mind when reading this casting call, a picture I don't quite get when thinking of Merlin. But a lot is possible.

It just makes more sense to me to have a connection with Robin this early in the season than throw in some random Arthurian reference.

edit: On second thought as the 4th episode could be probably more a Rumple or Belle episode, so it might be some rather random character, and have nothing to do with Robin. 

Edited by katusch

Rumbelle spoiler

Monica: Will Belle and Gold get to be happy for a little while on Once Upon a Time?

Don't bet on it! Robert Carlyle (Gold) teases that they'll be content "maybe in the first episode, but then that's it." Wah! Emilie de Ravin (Belle) points out that Gold is "bipolar" and we shouldn't start thinking he's a good guy. Double wah! Oh, and I have no idea what this means, but when I asked what the trending hashtag might be for the season premiere, Robert said "#Dance." So clearly, Gold will twerk. Duh.

Nothing new, really. But I guess we are getting the iconic Beauty and the Best dance in the premiere.

They were scheduled to start at 10am, so it has only been 20 minutes. And realistically longer before the actual filming starts. By my calculations they should be about halfway through 4.03 (they started July 9 and it's 10 days per ep right?).

Arianne ‏@fringe__forever 10m

On the set of #ouat watching the Hood fam film many takes...

From set Scene is Robin, Marian, and Roland walking and talking in front of the Marine Garage. (Source: oncepromised) #OUAT #OnceUponATime

A tow truck is towing a blue van I don’t recognize.

The tow truck pulls into the garage and they start walking. They stop in front of the ice cream store. Robin rubs Marian’s back and Roland opens the door and they walk in.

"Henry, you're FIRED!"

Edited by Souris
That, or else Donald Trump is the REAL Big Bad for Season 4.

There is definitely some Dark Magic going on with that comb-over of his.

I'm going to assume the Aprrentice is somebody in a Fairyback because Rumple seems to have burned through a lot of those.

On the set of #ouat watching the Hood fam film many takes...

Hopefully it is of Marian punching Robin after he keeps nattering about "Where you see yourself as being terrorized and almost killed, I just see Regina being bold and audacious!".  "Bold this, you wanker [punch]". Sadly, the cheers from the crowd keep ruining the takes....Ooops, just my fantasizing again.

Edited by kili
  • Love 1

As he did to several other posters upthread.  However, there's no discernible connection between him and anyone else in Storybrooke -- and there would have to be a Sancho Panza and a Dulcinea to go along with him.

Regina's horse in the Enchanted Forest and Don Quixote's are both named Rocinante.

From oncepromised:

Oh Lee is here too.

Raphael Sbarge and Beverley Elliot are here. And Pongo.

JMo was also apparently spotted (as well as Emma's bug), but it doesn't appear she's filmed any yet.

Perhaps Henry lets an evil loose from something in Gold's shop after getting into something he was told not to? That could be a Sorcerer's Apprentice parallel. It could be accompanied by a Regina or Belle fairyback of them doing the same sort of thing.

Edited by KingOfHearts

Does Roland have his own over the shirt belt just like his dad? That's adorable!

Hmm, so do the Hoods run into Elizabeth Mitchell while on a family outing? Is Marian (and possibly Aurora) going to stay in Enchanted Forest clothes or is this only a day or two after the season 3 finale?

Maybe the ice cream shop is Elizabeth Mitchell's? Her white apron definitely looks like something you'd see someone at an ice cream shop wearing.

Oh my GOODNESS the kid who plays Roland just keeps getting cuter and cuter at an exponential rate!!! Also, nice costuming touch: Robin's scarf thingy is the color of Marian's cloak. (But really, 3 episodes later, they haven't gotten the poor woman any Storybrooke duds?)

I want to see just a big shopping day, where all the fairy tale folks buy tons and tons of modern clothes. Everyone loves a shopping montage!

So it looks like the Hoods are together for at least a little bit, even though they don't look too smiley in those pics.

• Love 1

So it looks like the Hoods are together for at least a little bit, even though they don't look too smiley in those pics.

I know, right? I'm definitely picking up on some standoffish-ness going on. In one of those pics, it looks like Marian is trying to get Roland's attention but he seems like he's not too keen on her.

So Elizabeth Mitchell is just a Storybrooke citizen? I doubt she's a major magical villain then.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 1

To be fair, if I "came back from the dead" only to discover that my beloved husband was shacking up with my murderer, he'd be sleeping on the couch for a loooooong time.

But yes, I noticed the same thing--Marian looks pretty severe except for the two pictures where she's smiling directly at Roland (the one where she's bending over to talk to him is super cute!). She's probably like "WHAT ARE THESE METAL DRAGONS? WILL THEY ATTACK US? Oh." otoh, Robin...has like one facial expression in general, so I can't really tell on him.

Because I'm feeling shallow today, I have to say that Robin looks at least ten years older than Marian--he looks late 30s/early 40s to my eye, whereas she looks mid/late 20s. Old!Robin Hood was a better match for Marian in that regard.

--omg, Marian is Carly in Arrow? I TOTALLY didn't realize that!

• Love 1

According to oncepromised, Liz Mitchell's character DOES own the ice cream shop. They're apparently still on 4X03.

And Michael Socha is there. In a scene with JMo and Josh.

I was thinking it's weird Colin is not there but then I thought they probably don't want to spoil Hook's new clothes so I don't think he is going to shoot outside for some time.

About Elizabeth Mitchell, maybe she is the apprentice for episode 4.

So Elizabeth Mitchell is just a Storybrooke citizen? I doubt she's a major magical villain then

I think it's more or less confirmed she is either Elsa's mom or the real Snow Queen. And really you don't cast someone like her for a very supporting role.

Edited by RadioGirl27
So Elizabeth Mitchell is just a Storybrooke citizen? I doubt she's a major magical villain then.

Well, Zelena pretended to be a regular Storybrooke citizen, so I'm not sure we can infer that for sure.

I can't help it, I am vastly impatient for a Colin sighting.

JMo, Josh and Michael. Flirty look for Emma, unless they're not in costume yet. (It appears to be a run-through.) Michael looks like he's been hit hard by tanner. Orange alert!

Edited by Souris

I can't help it, I am vastly impatient for a Colin sighting.

Do we know it's the new costume today? 

Well, Zelena pretended to be a regular Storybrooke citizen, so I'm not sure we can infer that for sure.

Yeah.  As much as I would like her to not be someone major, the fact she's running the ice cream shop screams "Snow Queen" to me.

Flirty look for Emma, unless they're not in costume yet.

I think I just read somewhere that she was spotted in that leather jacket from earlier in the week, so I am assuming this is pre costume change.  Also: What is that hat?!

Edited by NotBothered

I was thinking it's weird Colin is not there but then I thought they probably don't want to spoil Hook's new clothes so I don't think he is going to shoot outside for some time.

This is also day shoots. My inference from all this is that Hook would be wearing his modern clothes on his date with Emma, which would traditionally be a night thing. They're shooting until 2am so I can see them possibly making a night appearance at some point.

ETA: NotBothered, Colin in new clothes hasn't been confirmed for today. It's basically just alot of wish fulfillment on our parts. :)

As for the potentially prickly Hood family, I'm assuming a bit of that has to unfortunately do with the fact that they may not be moving the story along i.e. episode three is less than a week after Marian's return. And as we've mentioned before, Roland may have recognized Marian but how long has it been since she was last in his life? That could definitely be causing some friction between mother and son. I'm not worried about her clothes though -- she's probably living with the Merry Men in the forest and hasn't had time to find anything else. Plus, how long has Hook been dressed as a pirate?

Edited by sharky