Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion: The apple was poisoned?!

• Start Topic

I hate pumping you for information, but how bad was the "sassiness" that Regina gave during the blanket scene? I want my tables flipped prematurely so I can buy new ones before Sunday when I have guests over.

Regina's line there wasn't actually bad at all. Nor did I think it was particularly sassy. I'm kind of surprised people singled out that line TBH. There were much more "sassy" lines elsewhere. The scene bugged me, though.

I'm not. The whole point of Emma sacrificing herself was because the dark goop was going to destroy everyone in its path. So is the show trying to tell us that once the dark cloud was done consuming Regina, she just would have been unconscious for a bit and then wake up later along with The Apprentice? If so, then why the hell did Emma make such a huge sacrifice for something that actually wasn't even a big deal?

I will say The Apprentice starts the episode alive….

No one's guessed the Camelot DO connection? We need to step up our game. Just tell me it ain't some more soap opera stuff like paternity reveals. They love those. Like Merlin is Lancelot's daddy.

By Dark One do you mean the OG version or Emma as the DS?

It's not soapy. It's REALLY COOL. I don't give them props for much these days, but I give them mad props for this.

I mean the Dark One in general.

Edited by Souris
  • Love 2

I'm not. The whole point of Emma sacrificing herself was because the dark goop was going to destroy everyone in its path. So is the show trying to tell us that once the dark cloud was done consuming Regina, she just would have been unconscious for a bit and then wake up later along with The Apprentice? If so, then why the hell did Emma make such a huge sacrifice for something that actually wasn't even a big deal?

Didn't Emma's magic take the Dark goop out of him?

That last teaser has got to be Hook telling that to Emma. Nice to know they can still tease each other.

Edited by mjgchick

Or Emma is supposed to represent Morgana, just not in name.

I could see this, especially if they want to do DS vs Arthur. But depending on which source you take from, I feel like there are enough similar elements between Nimue and Morgana that it would be redundant to do both of them on Once. I also don't know if we're headed towards DS-Emma parallels with Arthur or it'll be DS and Merlin. Come to think of it, they haven't really spoiled Arthur's story have they beyond the bromance with Charming? Watch that be a red herring and Arthur ends up being the villain.

Ok now I'm really curious about the connection. Since Emma crawls out all wet, could it be something as simple as the DO vault is buried or kept in The Lake in Avalon. Or the vault IS the lake. Instead of Excalibur coming from the lake, since it's now in the stone, the dagger comes from there. That's my last spec on that.

And thanks for telling us Emma has eyebrows. Honestly that was going to be my biggest problem, if the makeup looked as bad as it did in the photos.

Edited by LizaD

Who wants to bet against me that the season premiere focuses on Regina's pain and guilt over Emma's actions?

I'll take your bet Souris because not everything is about Regina. If I'm wrong, I will do a write up and post it in the post show thread telling the whole world that you were right and that I was absolutely wrong. What do you say?

You're on! On this show, everything IS about Regina.

As self-appointed unofficial commissioner of this bet, I'm going to hold you guys to this and remember these posts when it's September. (You think I'm kidding, but I'm not.)

See? I wasn't kidding. (I take my job as unofficial bet commissioner very seriously.) So, Souris. Now that you've seen the episode, can you confirm if the premiere does indeed focus on Regina's pain and guilt over Emma's actions? Who wins this bet? YaddaYadda or you? Shall we call it a draw?

• Love 4

See? I wasn't kidding. (I take my job as unofficial bet commissioner very seriously.) So, Souris. Now that you've seen the episode, can you confirm if the premiere does indeed focus on Regina's pain and guilt over Emma's actions? Who wins this bet? YaddaYadda or you? Shall we call it a draw?

LOL. We needed you, because I completely & 100% forgot!

Hmmm. There is certainly a lot of Regina focus, though she seems more angry than guilty. Or angry about feeling guilty. Or just being Regina in her usual pique. I may lose on a technicality since I specified the type of Regina focus. Curse my specificity! I think judgment will probably have to wait until everyone sees it. 

• Love 1

I think I win this one, but just in case, let's wait for the episode to air. Since you're the judge, you get to decide.

About Arthur and Emma parallels, I don't know about their present, but their pasts do parallel if Arthur's backstory isn't changed too much.

Merlin foresees Arthur (he also foresees Emma. He knows her name and magical abilities before she's a thought, as per 4x08). Emma is Rumple's pet project.

Arthur grows up not knowing who he really is and he knows nothing of his destiny. Ditto Emma.

Their lives have been manipulated. They are burdened by their destinies.

There's more, but it's a bit hard to speculate since they are going all the way back to Arthur's childhood with Kay. I'm guessing what happens in 5x04 is what pushes Arthur to actively search for Excalibur in 5x01.

I don't think Arthur is evil or a villain. I think he has his own motivation and whatever the prophecy is is the reason he's helping everyone. He has no reason to help the Dark One because the Dark One seems to have been an asshole to Camelot and it's not like they can actually fight him, because...magic. I'm assuming the prophecy is the key to solving this latest clusterfuck and I'm guessing there's something big in it for him, probably on a personal level.

• Love 1

Hmmm. There is certainly a lot of Regina focus, though she seems more angry than guilty. Or angry about feeling guilty. Or just being Regina in her usual pique.

So...same old same old then? Regina being quippy and pissed off all the time for no adequately explained reason? They are REALLY stretching their wings here!

• Love 2

The show wants to have their cake and to eat it too when it comes to Regina. She has everything she wants she can be happy once in a blue moon JFC. These people she treated like video games all don't want to kill her. Her feeling guilty or that she doesn't like owing people is going to get super old because their are people who genuinely are hurting because Emma is missing. Shouldn't she be worried about her sons feelings because he just lost his other mom? Emma felt awful for Henry because his childish mother was kicking him out of her life. Of course she does the opposite.

I really want to know how prominent Snowing are in trying to save their daughter at this point.

• Love 3

I'm so hyped for the premiere. Not only are they exploring uncharted territory with Emma and her relationships, but also entirely new stories with Camelot and the Dark One. It doesn't feel like the new characters and settings aren't as shiny and in-your-face as Frozen or the Queens of Darkness. I'm hoping it gets time to breathe since I find most of the main character plots to be boring at this point. (Except Emma et al.) They seem to trek a lot of ground right from the get-go while leaving plenty of mystery to be uncovered as the season goes on.

I think I'll just revel in the setup and headcanon my own execution.

I really want to know how prominent Snowing are in trying to save their daughter at this point.

I don't think they are in the first episode. But they seem to get more screen time later down the road.

Edited by KingOfHearts

I actually do not even remember the knitting line, so I can't help you out there!

From filming pics in spoiler thread: Why are Merlin and Nimue (?) dressed like they're in a biblical epic? (I assume it's a flashback.)

Edited by Souris
  • Love 1

I hate when episodes are screened early. There's way too much information out there at this point. That said, I need to know how much of a time jump is it? Because that's the first I'd heard it confirmed as happening in the premiere and I need to know. 

I hate when episodes are screened early. There's way too much information out there at this point. That said, I need to know how much of a time jump is it? Because that's the first I'd heard it confirmed as happening in the premiere and I need to know. 

6 weeks.

I'm glad you liked the episode, Souris! We have a similar taste so at least I'm not worried about the premiere anymore (the rest of the season is another story). I have a question about the episode. I've read we have Henry-Hook, Regina-Hook and Snow-Regina moments, but is there any meaningful Hook-Emma's parents moment?

• Love 1
From filming pics in spoiler thread: Why are Merlin and Nimue (?) dressed like they're in a biblical epic? (I assume it's a flashback.)

I think it goes with their timeline since Merlin seems to be eternal.

6 weeks.

I get that they have a pregnant woman to take into consideration, but 6 weeks? Really? Jared will be shaving and they will be, well Henry is 13, so...

I wouldn't even care about the timeline if they didn't have lines in there like we did this yesterday or this happened last week. Maybe they should just drop lines like that.

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Love 1

That's too bad!

Well those pics basically confirm that the new actress is Nimue, since they are meeting at a well (water connecting the realms to Lake Nostos where Lady of the Lake lived), and that she and Merlin had a thing for each other based on their expressions, and possibly that she will become the first Dark One (her dark costume contrasts with Merlin's white one). Those costumes do have an Agrabah sort of vibe, but that's probably unintentional.

Agrabah for 5b!!! Actually no, as much as I want to see Aladdin and Jasmine, I don't want A&E to ruin Jafar's awesomeness (especially if they basically have to start over with his character like they did with Will's; just put Wonderland on Netflix and make people watch it, A&E!!!)

Anyone recognize the actress playing Nimue?

Edited by HoodlumSheep
So while 1989 wouldn't have an official release, I can see them at least having it in some form at a local theater for maybe a special showing or something. VHS wasn't that prevalent at the time so the movie theater is the only place you could see something like that again.

VHS was prevalent in 1989 and most middle-class homes would have had them. Disney was actually one of the pioneers of "cheap" videos. Videos in the mid-80s cost $100 and were largely intended for the rental market. But Disney found out that parents would pay $25-$30 to own a movie because their kids would watch it 1000 times. So, they started releasing their movies on a rotating basis (woe to you if you wanted to by the Little Mermaid while it was in the Disney Vault for 7 years) starting in the mid-80s. 

The Sword in the Stone was released in 1986 to video at this cheap rate. A theatre showing it in 1989 would be rare, but maybe it was a special showing (perhaps for children in the foster care system).

• Love 1

Theaters would still have been using film reels in the late 80s, wouldn't they? When did most theaters start switching over to digital? Anyways, I'll just chalk it up to the theater getting its hands on the movie as luck.

Of course zimbio baits the fans. Anyways, if the dagger wasn't always the dagger, then I'm going to guess that it used to be excalibur before it got corrupted/changed. And that's why the actual sword hadn't been seen for like, ever.

Edited by HoodlumSheep

Digital has been a recent thing. I was scooping popcorn at a movie theater in the late '90s and we still had all film projections. In fact, we would have late night screenings for employees the night before a movie was officially released to make sure the copy of the film was in good shape. Oh, to be young and working a minimum wage job. At least I got all the free Icees and popcorn I wanted for two summers.

As for the rest, I'll admit I'm skimming over this thread now. Shocking surprise twist? Ugh. I'm going to try and keep that a secret until Sunday. :)

Anyways, if the dagger wasn't always the dagger, then I'm going to guess that it used to be excalibur before it got corrupted/changed. And that's why the actual sword hadn't been seen for like, ever.

Am I missing something? Is there somewhere it says that Excalibur is gone?

Last time we heard anything about it was in 3x02 and Rumple told Snow that the real Excalibur was back in Camelot with its rightful owner. 

^ did Rumple say that? Whoops. Just theorizing, so i guess my theory's already wrong. :(

*just rewatched the clip. Yep, he says excalibur's in Camelot. He does not, however, say it's with it's owner.

Fine then, my next guess (which I think people already mentioned) is that they're going Harry Potter with the two blades. The blades were fashioned using phoenix tails from the same phoenix...The actual plot twist of 5a that is that the dagger has a secret brother.

Edited by HoodlumSheep

^ If that's the case, then my theory could still work! Rumple might not have known where the dagger came from.

And after watching that clip, now I'm wondering if we'll ever see Snow's mother's necklace again, or the other stuff Rumple got from deals or whatever.

^ did Rumple say that? Whoops. Just theorizing, so i guess my theory's already wrong. :(

You could be right if the writers lock the continuity fairy in some dark pit of despair.

I just don't see it because of what both weapons represent. But then, Arthur seems to be actively trying to find Excalibur in the flashbacks, so who knows.

I believe Rumple said, "They say its in a place called Camelot", as in more of a rumor.

I went back and looked at the clip and he said "Everyone knows it's in Camelot."

ETA - I forgot some stuff...

Timeline wise, when the Lost Girl flashbacks, David knows of Excalibur and who created it. In the Lady of the Lake, she knows all about Camelot and the knights of the round table?  That must've happened like a few months later, so it's not the like the EF is entirely cut off from Camelot that all of this is is new to them. So why would Snow ever assume that she has the sword since it might seem like Arthur already was king.  I feel a headache coming on!

It’s clear that Camelot is going to play a big role this season. In fact, the first scene of the episode involves a young Emma going to see the Disney movie “The Sword in the Stone” and receiving a dark warning. Years later, in another land, we see Arthur and Lancelot as Arthur is on the hunt for Excalibur. You’ll soon come to realize that Excalibur has a very interesting connection to the ONCE UPON A TIME mythology we’ve come to know and you will also get a peek at the fabled kingdom. In fact, it’s going to be play a big role in the season’s mysterious storyline.
We know that Merlin is the link between Storybrooke and King Arthur, but we were intrigued to see the writers working in a second connection between both fantasy worlds that really helps solidify certain key story elements going forward. We really don’t want to spoil this one for you, so suffice it to say a really big clue has been sitting under our noses for quite some time now. You’ll get the point of it soon enough.

Why would anyone ever assume anything about Excalibur and the dagger? We the audience have an idea because of previous episodes that have aired, but why would the characters make a leap that Excalibur and the dagger are one and the same (which I don't think they are. I think they are twin blades) or that Merlin made both? 

It doesn't really make sense to me. If the show is like well, the dagger and the sword are one and the same, I won't go OMG, I'll go WTF instead. It wouldn't be a clever twist, it would be my WTF moment. I know Arthur had a magical blade, but that's not it.

The Apprentice has a connection to Camelot, but he hasn't been sitting under our noses for all that long, plus he's apparently kicking the bucket. 

It's asking what's the glue that will hold both worlds together and I could be completely out of the ballpark and standing in the middle of the freeway, but I'm not sure that it's an object as much as a person.

Edited by YaddaYadda

I'm glad you liked the episode, Souris! We have a similar taste so at least I'm not worried about the premiere anymore (the rest of the season is another story). I have a question about the episode. I've read we have Henry-Hook, Regina-Hook and Snow-Regina moments, but is there any meaningful Hook-Emma's parents moment?

Alas, no.

Don't get me wrong. Tables will be flipped over the Regina-ness of some things. But despite the fact that some things annoyed me more than the S4 premiere, I liked this ep more than the S4 premiere.

Man, that Zimbio article had an agenda.

Edited by Souris
  • Love 1

They keep talking about the relationship Emma and Regina have developed over the years. Do they not remember that in show time, maybe just a little more than two years have passed, and for most of that first year, Emma and Regina hated each other, with Regina trying to kill Emma, and then one of those years they were totally apart with Emma not knowing Regina even existed? So the "closeness" that they have supposedly developed since the last time Regina tried to murder Emma and her whole family (end of season 2) happened in about a week in Neverland, then about a week or so upon the return to Storybrooke after the missing year, two weeks in 4A, six weeks between arcs, and then maybe a month after that. So maybe four months, total, being generous, and they didn't even seem to spend most of that time together. Emma barely interacted with Regina during 3B and 4A, and Regina bailed on the group while they were in Neverland. They're in the early stages of a possible friendship, at best, and they have a lot of baggage to overcome.

So, is the "over the years" a phrase of the reviewer's, or something that comes from the show itself or the writers?

• Love 7

Don't get me wrong. Tables will be flipped over the Regina-ness of some things. But despite the fact that some things annoyed me more than the S4 premiere, I liked this ep more than the S4 premiere.

Man, that Zimbio article had an agenda.

Don't worry, I know Regina is going to be very important and there is going to be a lot of fan-pandering and queerbaiting, and I'm pretty sure that, in the end, she would have a bigger role than Hook in this arc, including its resolution, no matter how big his role is in the premiere. But at least now I know that there are some Hook and some good CS scenes in the premiere.

So, is the "over the years" a phrase of the reviewer's, or something that comes from the show itself or the writers?

Right from Adams mouth. That quote is in, at least, three different arcticles and with quotation marks.

• Love 1

That is some reaching they are doing to make this friendship work lightning speed kind of like Outlaw Queen. At least Regina and Snow we saw it during the missing yrs they got close but even that is a stretch to me.

ETA: Did they seriously dress Regina like Rapunzel's kidnapper?

Edited by mjgchick
  • Love 3

I've been trying to limit my spoiler posting, because right now I don't really have anything substantial or encouraging to contribute, but the "Five Great Things" article has pushed me over the edge.

I'm glad that Morrison is apparently doing a good job with interesting material. But, if anything could prove to me we all see the world differently, learning that it's a great thing that Regina sasses her way through the episode is enough to make me wonder if I should tune in.

If it weren't for Souris's encouraging update, I think I would be done. I have no interest in more episodes of Regina being snide to people in pain, and then acting like a victim.

Edited by Mari
  • Love 2
Emma and Regina have a really great moment in the Enchanted Forest where Emma instructs Regina to save her. And if Regina cannot save her soul from the darkness… she is the only one who will be able to do what is absolutely necessary: kill her instead.

Let me gloat a bit, because I (and several other people on this forum) called that's what the Emma/Regina scene from the promo would be about: Emma asking Regina to kill her if necessary ;)

• Love 2
Let me gloat a bit, because I (and several other people on this forum) called that's what the Emma/Regina scene from the promo would be about: Emma asking Regina to kill her if necessary ;)

Yeah, me too. I'll take 'em where I can get 'em.

learning that it's a great thing that Regina sasses her way through the episode is enough to make me wonder if I should tune in.

That always bugs. If I sassed people during a crisis, I'd probably get punched in the face. That said, the stuff mentioned, we all saw in the D23 sneak peek, so it won't come as a shock or a surprise. Regina and Hook being completely at odds makes me happy because it doesn't like he'll be pulling any punches.  

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Love 3

Well, that what I'm looking for in a soul mate someone will kill me without really be crushed by it.

I do not want to be a burden if a incident happened and he had to unplugged me.

So romantic!!

Ho! and thanks souris, I really like your resume of the episode.

• Love 3

Has anyone guest what Emma does that's so terrible that we'll never see the savior the same again?

I know people have wondered which of the returning and new cast will be Mulan's love, but I just keep wondering if the plan isn't to have Emma kill some of them, or take their hearts and meat puppet them into terrible things.

(Also, haven't watched the sneak peeks. I didn't know if I wanted to. Now I'm even less sure.)

Edited by Mari

And if Regina cannot save her soul from the darkness… she is the only one who will be able to do what is absolutely necessary: kill her instead.

If this were any other show, I'd say this is foreshadowing. But as small as A&E think in the grand scheme of things, I bet this is just an intense Swan Queen moment for them.

If it weren't for Souris's encouraging update, I think I would be done. I have no interest in more episodes of Regina being snide to people in pain, and then acting like a victim.

I'm hopeful. I don't count on it being any worse than what we've seen before. It sounds to me like Regina is just being Regina in this episode to remind viewers (and instruct new ones) who she is. Since it seems so intense, she's probably the source of comic relief, even if its as unfunny and insensitive as it gets. Her story involving saving Emma definitely has more potential than Operation Mongoose. At least she's contributing and not crying in a corner like she did all of 4A.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 2

Has anyone guest what Emma does that's so terrible that we'll never see the savior the same again?

We got filming spoilers for the premiere of Dark Swan turning a dwarf to stone. So... I guess that?

• Love 1

If this were any other show, I'd say this is foreshadowing.

It's the premiere, so I actually think it is foreshadowing. In the 4A premiere, they followed up on Hook's comment about being killed by a monster (almost happened in 4A finale and then did happen in the 4B finale) and Emma's nonsensical promise to Regina that she'd give her a happy ending. Maybe we'll get a finale scene of Regina having to kill Emma, but then Emma is revived by either Hook or her parents or Henry.

I'm upset that it sounds like the Charmings don't play a big role in getting back to Emma. Why bother focusing on them during the final moments of Season 4 and have Emma directly ask them to help her, and then immediately have them be useless?

Edited by Curio
  • Love 6
It's the premiere, so I actually think it is foreshadowing. In the 4A premiere, they followed up on Hook's comment about being killed by a monster (almost happened in 4A finale and then did happen in the 4B finale) and Emma's nonsensical promise to Regina that she'd give her a happy ending. Maybe we'll get a finale scene of Regina having to kill Emma, but then Emma is revived by either Hook or her parents or Henry.

How is this going to work though? Is it going to be Save Regina next season? She stabs Emma, she becomes the Dark One. It's like a game of musical chairs.

One of two things...someone steps in front of Emma to protect her and gets stabbed or Rumple does the honors. But then what happens if the person who is the Dark One doesn't die after being stabbed?

• Love 1

How is this going to work though? Is it going to be Save Regina next season? She stabs Emma, she becomes the Dark One. It's like a game of musical chairs.

My (unproven) theory is that Excalibur or something introduced in Camelot will give the heroes a new option for getting rid of the Dark One once and for all. They've hinted at us getting more Dark One lore and mythology, so I could see Excalibur playing an opposite role of the dagger.

• Love 3

My (unproven) theory is that Excalibur or something introduced in Camelot will give the heroes a new option for getting rid of the Dark One once and for all. They've hinted at us getting more Dark One lore and mythology, so I could see Excalibur playing an opposite role of the dagger.

I could see it. The dagger and Excalibur are at opposite ends of each other. One is darkness and one is basically light.

ETA - 

Camelot is set up to be the bigger arc of this season. It has a lot to do with where Dark Swan came from, but that relation may be hard to remember for some. Camelot has a huge connection with one of the main characters, that we can tell so far.

I don't know if they mean Dark One or Dark Snow. If it has to do with Emma, then there's Lancelot.

And now I wanna know who is this main character that might have a huge connection with Camelot. They're clearly not talking about the Snowing/Lancelot relationship in this.

There is a reunion with Emma and the people of Storybrooke, and it’s different than any other they’ve had. Emma is in a very difficult situation when they find her, and she needs to be talked back to the light inside her. Per usual, her parents try to do what they think is best, and control her.

I wanna say why in the world?!? because that's not what she needs, clearly and Emma even without the darkness is someone who hates that kind of thing.

Is it too much to hope that we are finally going to address the mammoth in the room. This isn't even an elephant anymore! 

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Love 2
Per usual, her parents try to do what they think is best, and control her.

This is actually in character for Snow, since there's still a disconnect between what she thinks Emma wants and what Emma really wants. I couldn't see Charming doing this, though. But isn't this situation the opposite of last year where Charming and Snow were willing to take a step back and let Emma get rid of her powers in Episode 8 because it was her decision? So they don't try to control her in that situation and they come off like bad parents, and now they do try to control her and they'll probably come off like bad parents. They just can't win.

Is it too much to hope that we are finally going to address the mammoth in the room. This isn't even an elephant anymore!

Ha, I like how the elephant grows fur they bigger the issue is. But yes, I'd love for some actual non-eggbaby related drama to unfold between Emma and the Charmings, and for their serious conversations to not occur during a commercial break.

Edited by Curio

I won't be flipping tables over Regina. I like her and her sass and her struggle with bipolar reactions because two separate people often live in my own head and I can relate! (snork) One thing I have always appreciated about her orneriness is that she says things that I never would, but might just think while acting more polite! The fact that she is going to butt heads with the sultry pirate is GOOD. I am ready for Hook to regain some sass and snarl of his own. He got a little milquetoast for a while. Give him a good foil and we will see the best Colin has to offer.

This Dark Swan has potential to be complex-cool. But, not holding my breath because the writers have disappointed us dealing with complex-cool potential dozens of times. (the actors have got to love these opportunities and that usually brings out some decent emoting)

I also am intrigued by Regina and Emma being closer. This has nothing to do with what I see as the non-existent sexual attraction that some in the fandom are belligerently obsessed over. They are strong willed women and a friendship between two strong willed women is always complex and edgy.

Henry gets a moment to shine...that's OK by me, too. Especially since he is shining with Hook involved (wink).

Zelena? Never liked her, probably never will. Her *arc* is distasteful to the core.

Don't know Merida at all so she will be a clean slate for me.

I just still hold that there are too many characters in too short a time doing too much stuff. But, I know that going into the premiere so I can't complain too much about it. It is what it is!

Sunday should be fun...if nothing else, this message board will fire up considerably more :) And...new visuals! YESSSSssssss.

Edited by BoPeeps
  • Love 2
I couldn't see Charming doing this, though.

I actually love David and I love his relationship with Emma. But David is a fucking pushover who needs to grow a pair pronto. David, your wife isn't always right and she has no clue how to parent her grown ass daughter which is the biggest problem. Emma is a thirty year old woman with her own kid, you can't treat her like she's 5. Mary Margaret/Snow doesn't walk on water, they have shown them at odds here and there when he is right and she is wrong, but he does what she says.

Can this relationship get some fireworks, please? Considering the curse and everything else, haven't Snowing been together for like 3-4 years at the most? I think they need to have a huge fight, like a yelling, screaming match where he stands his ground for a change. 

Grow a damn pair, David!

• Love 7