Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion: The apple was poisoned?!

• Start Topic

If Rumple!Hook does have a scene with Emma, I just hope it's not a repeat of the last time. I hope this time, Emma will actually take action when she notices something is off with him. Then maybe we can have Emma and Charming to the rescue!

Edited by pezgirl7
  • Love 8

TVLine:

Question: Do we have any idea who knocked up Once Upon a Time’s Maleficent? —Andrew
Ausiello: Series co-creator Eddy Kitsis says that the baby daddy will be revealed, “If there is one.” Meaning? Meaning, he notes, “This is a show where dwarves are hatched from an egg.”

Question: I’m looking for some Merry Men scoop! Any info on either Once Upon a Time‘s Will Scarlett or Robin Hood? –Brittani
Ausiello: During this second half of Season 4, “We’ll get a look at a bit of the past between Will Scarlett and Robin Hood,” co-creator Adam Horowitz shares. “We’ll learn they had adventures both in and out of Sherwood Forest.  And no look at the Merry Men would be complete without a return of the Sheriff of Nottingham.”

it would be cool to see a repeat of the whole dagger-to-throat "You're not going anywhere until you tell us who you are" scene when Emma and Hook first meet and she senses that he's lying.

Oh yeah. And I'm calling it now -- she figures out it's not Hook when he brings her french fries and not onion rings with her sandwich (or messes up some similar detail -- if they establish that he knows her side order preference, I'm sure he also knows exactly how she takes her coffee).

I suspect that this hypothetical episode we're currently brainstorming is about ten times better than what we'll actually get, alas.

• Love 5

I'm still not sure what to think about Lily being Maleficent's daughter. The Breaking Glass flashbacks felt so pointless on their own. This twist seems to be what makes it meaningful, but I don't think people really care who Lily was. Her episode wasn't interesting on its own, nor did it really invite in any intrigue. (Except for the star mark, but I'm sure casual viewers have long forgotten about it.) It was just so out of place with everything else that was going on at the time.

They're going to draw this big comparison of the light side (Emma) befriending the dark side (Lily), I'm betting. It all feels sort of random. I don't think Lily impacted Emma's life all that much.

Edited by KingOfHearts
I don't think Lily impacted Emma's life all that much.

Seems to have impacted it enough when Emma was watching that video, which total plot point to set up Ingrid as Emma's foster parent. (Interesting, Emma's run in with Lily leads her to Ingrid and her run-in with Ingrid leads her to Neal which leads to her having Henry)

But hey, if you did not enjoy the first round of Lily, be ready for a whole episode dedicated to her and flashbacks with young Emma.  Should be a treat!

Edited by YaddaYadda

They're going to draw this big comparison of the light side (Emma) befriending the dark side (Lily), I'm betting.

But I thought Emma was the darkest of dark or at least the potential. We don't know what Lily is/was or potential. She could be the light one. At least in the flashbacks she was the nice one and Emma was the unforgiving one. Yeah yeah all that lame teen angst and drama notwithstanding, you know the writers meant it to show Emma in the wrong.

I agree though, the whole thing is kind of lame but par for the course of this show. Are we sure the writers didn't use to work on some soap? Like Days or something? They can't even answer a "who's the daddy" question.

• Love 2

I was thinking that should be the cliffhanger. Belle and RumpleHook have a big, dramatic scene in which she decides to trust him and hands over the dagger, then she comes back to the library or shop, opens a closet door and finds an unconscious, bound and gagged Hook. Dun dun DUN!

While bound and gagged Hook is pretty, I really hope he's just off doing something else in the library or something. Poor guy needs a long break from being tied up or nearly killed.

• Love 6

But I thought Emma was the darkest of dark or at least the potential. We don't know what Lily is/was or potential. She could be the light one. At least in the flashbacks she was the nice one and Emma was the unforgiving one. Yeah yeah all that lame teen angst and drama notwithstanding, you know the writers meant it to show Emma in the wrong.

Emma had potential for both good and bad. Maleficent told Snowing that Emma had the potential to be either "a powerful hero capable of great good" or a force of great darkness. Apparently, Emma's only options in life were the two extremes. No middle ground for you, Emma! And according to Snow, she and David did something to ensure her goodness.

I bet whatever they did it involved them getting scammed by the Peddler character (and/or the Peddler working with Rump). The only thing Snowing did was ensure Maleficent would be really pissed at them.

Edited by FabulousTater

Maybe they decided not to give Emma her own place because it ups the drama when she packs her things and moves out after she finds out whatever? I know, a girl can dream, but it sounds reasonable that she would leave the hovel after this since it seems she can barely stomach her parents.

Also, my friend who is on Tumblr said they're in Steveston on Thursday. I cannot provide a link to that.

Maybe they decided not to give Emma her own place because it ups the drama when she packs her things and moves out after she finds out whatever? I know, a girl can dream, but it sounds reasonable that she would leave the hovel after this since it seems she can barely stomach her parents.

I have had similar thoughts, but I agree, it's probably too optimistic. They might go for the drama of Emma asking Hook to move in/find a place in the finale, only to have one or the other dragged into a different world. They have certainly been building them up as a couple more than I expected this season so far, and I never assume they will do something like that only for character/relationship development. It feels like they're building to something with that.

Well, you all know what I think they're building up to with Emma's living arrangements.

I would fear the same thing, but I'm hoping the return of Robin and Roland means Regina won't want anyone else in her house. If there is one thing you can count on in this show, it's Regina thinking of herself first.

Edited by retrograde
  • Love 3
I have had similar thoughts, but I agree, it's probably too optimistic. They might go for the drama of Emma asking Hook to move in/find a place in the finale, only to have one or the other dragged into a different world. They have certainly been building them up as a couple more than I expected this season so far, and I never assume they will do something like that only for character/relationship development. It feels like they're building to something with that.

Yeah, there's no way there won't be a physical separation.  If it's a cliffhanger for the season finale, I will cry.  And I mean ugly sobbing cry.  I hate end of season cliffhangers so much!

• Love 2

So do people think the "dark" emma storyline will be resolved by 4.20? I think myself it will only really kick off at the end of 4.20 and it will not be resolved until the finale....

• Love 1

Wow, Rumple impersonating Hook to get the dagger makes total sense! At first I kind of wanted to rage, but if it means we get to see more of Colin acting like Rumple pretending to be Hook, I'm all for it! Just as long as he doesn't try to kiss Emma again, or mess up CaptainSwan too much.

Well we are 3 episodes in, which is about the time that Hook normally gets cursed by the "villain" of the half season.  It would be a nice change for him not to be cursed, just unknowingly impersonated for once.  At least this time Hook could really tell Emma the truth, "It wasn't me!  We were having coffee, remember?"

• Love 6
Ha, but it's this show. The heroes are never proactive about the bad guys' schemes. If they were, we'd already have them developing magical protection weapons (how lame was it watching Charming and Snow get their swords easily tossed away by the flick of Maleficent's wrist?), creating potions that can reveal a person's true identity, or setting up villain traps around the town line. The "heroes" only react to things the very second they happen.

I thought the same thing when I saw the Charmings once again being tossed aside as the useless bums..uh heroes they are. It brings me back to S2 and Snow had Mulans' sword that can repel magic and she just drops it as she jumps into the vortex..uh, dimmy, you might need that.

Now this shows use of magic could be interesting if the heroes had ways to make that magic harmless and then the playing field would be more level. As it is, the only reason the Charmings are alive is that the villains are two inept to just off them, as easy as it would be, and yet, they are still considered these great heroes????

I am really nervous about what could make Emma start to turn to the dark side.

I am so looking forward to it.  I really am.  I think what might get to her is the "fact" that she has had no control over her life, you know.  Her parents ensured her goodness, but they did something horrible for that.  Emma is really a savior.  She has done things to help people as far back as season 1.  She helped Ashley keep her baby, she helped Hansel and Gretel reunite with their father, she has been kind to people when they didn't deserve her kindness and I don't think that had to do with anything that Snowing did.

I think it shows on some level that her parent's didn't believe enough in her to choose the right path without interference.  She made mistakes and she chose the right path after she left jail.  Emma has the backstory of a "villain" but she has chosen to do the right thing consistently.  

At least that won't be a huge retcon when it comes to Snowing and how they view Emma, imo at least.  I know we're all pretty divided on the issue.

Honestly, I'm not hating 4B at all so far.  I'm enjoying the whole thing (minus the book drivel).  I find it a bit more balanced I guess.

• Love 5

So do people think the "dark" emma storyline will be resolved by 4.20? I think myself it will only really kick off at the end of 4.20 and it will not be resolved until the finale....

I think the "Emma goes dark" storyline would happen around episodes 16-17-18 but not all of them. It makes no sense to use this storyline to promote the half season and then wait until episode 20 to start with it, because if someone tuned in because of it, by episode 20 they would have left. It's really bad marketing.

In other news, it seems that Snow, Charming and Maleficent shooted some scene yesterday in the middle of the woods.

Edited by RadioGirl27

Yeah I also think the dark stuff will be around the middle third. And based on what Adam and Eddy have said, I still don't think she will go dark so much as the trio will try to trick or goad her into doing dark things/magic.

In 3.20 she seems to be reuniting Mal with Lily and it seems like she puts herself in some danger to do so (based on the fraught goodbyes and reunion), which seems pretty heroic, even if she's still pissed at her folks.

I think Emma will realize the Queens weren't totally wrong, and that after finding out what the heroes did, she'll start to sympathize with them more. I'm predicting some sort of divide between her and Snowing. It's not so much going dark as it is deciding to no longer blindly side with Team Hero just because they're called "good". She'll probably become more objective and question the morality her parents have been attempting to engrave in her mind.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 1

I would agree that from 416 to 418, we might get something with "dark" Emma, but I'm not sure about that.  I do think the shit hits the fan in 416 and then it's the fallout from that.  417 is the Robin episode with Rumple flashbacks and we probably find out whatever it is he wants from the store.  We have the zelena flashbacks with Marian.  418 is the Cruella centric.  419 is the Lily centric in which Emma takes a road trip to find Lily, I guess, 420, they're already back in town.

The main problem is that we don't know what Rumple's end game.  Doesn't he lose an "ally" in Maleficent once she finds her kid?  Rumple is playing the long con and we have no clue what his agenda truly is.  This show is very much start building, rush through the villains and tie that in a neat little bow and start setting up the next play thing.  I think Emma going dark might set up the next arc.  The next title will probably be telling.

And they're bringing back Cora.  Are they zombifying her or is she in flashbacks?

All this talk about Emma going dark makes me think of the TV trope when a female character goes bad or evil, for whatever reason, and they automatically start dressing provocatively, being flirty, and doing naughty things. Although I hope they don't go that route with Emma, I wouldn't mind seeing the look on Hook's face. :)

On this show, we'll know Emma is going dark when instead of wearing turtlenecks, she's got mega cleavage and possibly black leather pants. Maybe darker eyeliner, but it will be hard to tell with the enormous false eyelashes.

But I have a feeling she won't get all the way there. She'll be pulled back from the brink, possibly by Hook. He was already counseling her about not going to a dark place when she believed her mother died, so I can't see him letting her go all the way dark without trying to intervene. He's like the AA sponsor of darkness since he's been there and come back from it. I think his line "and I you" when she said she was going to look at the good in him was meaningful.

Though on this show, it will be proof that Regina is a victim because a hero like Emma has someone trying to pull her back from the brink, while Regina was unfairly labeled a villain and didn't have anyone (well, other than Snow, who wanted her to be a mother to her, and Tink, who got herself stripped of her wings for desperately trying to help pull Regina back, and the genie, who loved her).

• Love 3

But I have a feeling she won't get all the way there. She'll be pulled back from the brink, possibly by Hook. He was already counseling her about not going to a dark place when she believed her mother died, so I can't see him letting her go all the way dark without trying to intervene. He's like the AA sponsor of darkness since he's been there and come back from it. I think his line "and I you" when she said she was going to look at the good in him was meaningful.

I want to believe it will be Hook to pull her back, and on another show I probably would. On another show, it would be. But its TS, TW, so I'm still convinced it will be Regina. There are kind of competing spoilers out there, with the "Hook will have to protect Emma's heart" but also Lana saying Regina would help keep Emma from going dark.

• Love 4

All the talk about Emma going "dark" makes me wonder..what would motivate her to go dark, to essentially become a villain, and for what purpose?

Generally, villains that we've seen on this show have a target/goal. Regina's goal was revenge and her target was Snow then Emma basically the world. Pan was getting the Truest Stupid's heart so he could have inifinite power/magic or something. Zelena's villainous goal was revenge against Regina (and because she was crazy). Ingrid's goal was to get everyone to kill each other so she could get her targets, Emma and Elsa as "sisters".

I simply don't see what the driver/goal would be for Emma to go "dark"/become a villain. I guess her goal could be to kill all the villains? But in that case *shrug* I'm not seeing that as villainous. I suppose if the spoiler pics of Emma giving Snowing the cold shoulder are correct (or rather, if we're interpreting the pictures correctly), Emma could have a total mental break and decide to go on a quest to kill her parents (and they would be hilariously dead in seconds). While that could be entertaining, that sort of revenge/blood lust has never been in Emma's wheelhouse. Emma has already forgiven and made peace with all the people who have done her the greatest harm throughout her life, so what, suddenly she takes it all back? Forgiveness rescinded? I just don't see Emma becoming a villain or really and truly going down a dark path because it's not in her character, no matter how much pearl clutching Snowing does about it (and no matter what the promo monkey's are pimping).

At worst I can see Emma almost doing something "dark" to protect those that she loves (sort of like how she teamed/let Regina rip that Lost Boy's heart out in Neverland so they could communicate with Henry), but otherwise I'm not buying what the writers are selling.

Edited by FabulousTater
  • Love 1

I just don't see Emma becoming a real villain because it's not in her character, no matter how much pearl clutching Snowing does about it.

She wouldn't become a "villain", and I don't think anyone is saying she will be, including the show. To me the message is that going dark is doing what some would call morally wrong in order to achieve a specific goal. Maleficent, for example, had the goal of protecting her child. What makes it "dark" is that she killed several guards to do it.

Now for Emma, I think the goal would be helping the Queens achieve their happy endings and repairing the damage the heroes did to them, especially with Maleficent. We already know she's going on a road trip with Regina to reunite her with Lily.

I just don't see Emma becoming a real villain because it's not in her character, no matter how much pearl clutching Snowing does about it.

I don't think she's going to become a true villain.  I mean she clearly knows what her parents did since she seems to not wanna talk to them or be around them, but she hasn't become a "villain".  It seems to be the opposite where she actually helps Maleficent find her contrived daughter.

I think it's more that Emma will be in a more vulnerable place which might allow a certain someone to manipulate the situation to his advantage.

She wouldn't become a "villain", and I don't think anyone is saying she will be, including the show. To me the message is that going dark is doing what some would call morally wrong in order to achieve a specific goal. Maleficent, for example, had the goal of protecting her child. What makes it "dark" is that she killed several guards to do it.

But there's a difference with doing something out of desperation to save your life and the lives of others (self defense is a thing), and doing something because you can and because see other people as insignificant gnats you can easily swat out of your way.

Maleficent killed those guards because she could and because she saw no significance to them. Everyone pointed out how there were several ways around the guards that didn't include their death. But Maleficent kills them anyway. That's what makes her dark and villainous. She didn't care one way or another and just killed them. My point is that Emma's character has never been that way. Emma actually cares about people even if she doesn't know them.

I think the problem is how these writers categorize and treat villains, villainy, and "evil" -- they seem to consider anyone who did anything wrong ever "villainous" and evil. Did you steal a candy bar as a kid? Villain. Told a lie? Villain. Told a secret? Villain. Did you slaughter hundreds of villagers? Well, get over there with the candy bar thief 'cause you're all villainous villains who villain. With that sort of definition of villainy, in the end, Emma going "dark" will probably amount to Emma giving her parents the cold shoulder for 2-3 episodes. 

Edited by FabulousTater
  • Love 7

My point is that Emma's character has never been that way. Emma actually cares about people even if she doesn't know them.

But at the same time, Maleficent also asked Snow to help her stop the curse and yet Snow said no because she didn't want to dip into darkness by teaming up with a villain. There was also that time that Regina ripped the heart out of the Lost Boy, and another when Snow herself had to cast the Dark Curse. To me, that's what's "dark", not villainy. Maleficent was villainous when she killed those guards, but it was still dark. All villainous deeds are dark, but not all dark acts are villainous.

This show has a skewed morality. Killing Cora was dark, but it didn't make Snow evil, though the show treated it that way. Sometimes you have to take more drastic measures that aren't considered "nice" in order to protect the people you care about. That's where I believe Emma falls on the spectrum. She's willing to do what some people (mostly Snowing) may debate morality about, but that doesn't mean she revels in it or loves to be evil. That's where I think they're taking her. I hope that makes more sense.

Congrats on the 10,000th reply, by the way. ;)

Edited by KingOfHearts

I think the Oscar promo was just misleading. This isn't an Emma turning dark story or Emma being tempted by darkness story. Cause that would be new. This whole thing is what it's always been about from S2 onwards. I said this somewhere in the All Seasons thread. This story is for Snow and Woegina who are obsessed with the hero and villain label in different ways. The part it will serve for Emma is that she'll think her parents can't love her if she's isn't a "hero" and her usual self-esteem issues will rear its ugly head again for the umpteenth time.

That said I will still feel ripped off if we don't get evil!Emma since that's what was advertised and it's been mentioned a million times already. From spoilers so far I don't think it's happening unless they're saving it for the last 2 episodes  like they did with 3B finale.

That's where I believe Emma falls on the spectrum. She's willing to do what some people (mostly Snowing) may debate morality about, but that doesn't mean she revels in it or loves to be evil. That's where I think they're taking her.

But would that even count as "greatest darkness"? That's just being practical. She might get intense about saving someone she loves, but how dark can someone get while working to save a life? (Well, on this show ...) The others who were more or less good people who turned truly dark did so when they lost someone, not when they still had hope of saving them. Regina went dark when Daniel was killed. Hook went dark when his brother was killed and darker when Milah was killed. They went that dark because there was no hope. So I can't imagine what could truly turn Emma unless she lost someone for good, with no hope of getting them back and then just acting out of vengeance. If she didn't go dark when Neal abandoned her, but instead turned her life around, I think it would take an actual death for her to go anywhere near evil. She might become scary in a very determined, single-minded way if she had to save someone, but all it would take to bring her back would be to succeed in saving them.

I suppose Henry could die and Regina and Emma could go dark together. I think she'd get bitter if Hook died. Otherwise, I just can't see it and have her stay in character.

But would that even count as "greatest darkness"? That's just being practical.

But it's this show. Inner darkness is accidentally ordering the wrong ice cream flavor for some one or giving a false account of a party on Facebook. If Emma did anything that was actually evil, it would be sympathetic and totally justified. Because that's how this show rolls.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 2
If Emma did anything that was actually evil, it would be sympathetic and totally justified. Because that's how this show rolls.

I think it's more like if Regina did anything actually evil, it's sympathetic and totally justified. Emma is considered a "hero," so she's kind of screwed because anything that brings her even the slightest bit away from total perfection, even by accident, is evil, from saving the life of the wrong person, to yelling at someone who wronged her, to killing in self defense or defense of others, to telling the truth in a way that causes a bad result for someone else.

They're going to have to differentiate between "darkness" and "evil" in this plot. Can you be dark without being evil? Is it just the potential for darkness that makes everything Emma does dangerous, so that being in a bad mood puts her on the road to darkness?

Since she seems to be okay and non-cleavagey in the latest set of spoiler photos, and since it seems she's set things right for Mal, it's hard to imagine anything sending her over the edge in the last few episodes unless something bad happens to someone she loves. She seems to be on the outs with her parents, so the secret seems to be out. What else could happen? Or will that part of the plot be more or less forgotten in a haze of writer ADD as they move on to other things?

• Love 1

So I can't imagine what could truly turn Emma unless she lost someone for good, with no hope of getting them back and then just acting out of vengeance.

[...]

I suppose Henry could die [...]

What's that you say? Kill Henry? Yes, pleeze! Please, please, pleeeeeease let it be Henry. Imma beggin 'ya, Show. Kill him dead with fire! (It's never gonna happen but that won't keep me from wanting it).

• Love 1

I've figured it out, guys: Emma is somehow, unbeknownst to herself, the author. In the deepest, darkest part of her heart she wishes ill on anyone who wronged her, never to get their happy ending, and her magic put it down in a book as fate.

I just know I'm going to be really disappointed at the end of the season when I can say The 100 did the whole 'hero gone dark' trope better than OUAT.

No, no. Cora is the author. It's not that villains don't get their happy ending, it's only Regina that can't have one. She wrote the book simply to mess with her daughter for all eternity and in the process also got to screw with Snow White. It's win-win in Cora world.

• Love 5

No, no. Cora is the author. It's not that villains don't get their happy ending, it's only Regina that can't have one. She wrote the book simply to mess with her daughter for all eternity and in the process also got to screw with Snow White. It's win-win in Cora world.

lol OK. You win this round. ;)

BUT there is one flaw with you theory. It makes more sense than anything the writers would come up with, therefore, never gonna happen. :(

• Love 4

After all we know about her, Emma going dark makes no sense. Her life has been terrible and she has overcome everything. The only thing I can see being so horrible for her to send her for a dark path is Henry's death. Hook's death would be devastating, but not enough because she would still have Henry.

But it's this show, so probably a simple lie from her parents would make her the darkest villain ever.

Edited by RadioGirl27

I have to go dig up the note from tumblr but it doesn't sound like a date according to someone who was watching the filming. They were both sitting at a bar at a restaurant and apparently Robin looked a bit frustrated. Also, Regina was in her purple dress. So maybe this is in New York and she's picking him up for the return trip. Has this show gone back and done pick-up scenes in the past?

Robin and Regina on a date?  I'm assuming we'll get every beat of it. This is going to be like watching paint dry, then peel.

Of course we'll get every beat. It would be silly to show Robin and Regina walk into the restaurant, order food and drinks, and then cut away before they have any kind of meaningful conversation... 

Is there any chance we can get Will to crash this one, too?

• Love 5

Sneak peek.

Description of filming yesterday (this is the same person who originally thought it was a date):

Okay so what happened today was not exactly what looked to be a date... Regina was in her normal purple dress, nothing fancy and Robin Hood only has one outfit sooooo... Haha. I couldn't hear a thing and couldn't see much but what I did see was it looked like Regina said something and he got upset/stressed by whatever she said. Yes they were at a restaurant but Regina and robin were sitting at the bar part so not a cute romantic table :( oh and this happened in New York so this is either a flashback or a scene for an earlier ep that they just hadn't gotten around to filming yet. That's all I think! Better explanation will be in my vlog and all that happened with the Agnes and Lana scene will be in vlog too. Short description of what happened: they're on a bus stop, stalk for awhile, Regina poofs away in magic smokeness.

Edited by retrograde
  • Love 1