Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion: The apple was poisoned?!

• Start Topic

I love Red, she was one of the reasons I got deep into the show in the first place. But I very much disliked how little they made of her. I am at a point where I'd rather prefer them to let her fade to into oblivion, seeing what they did with other characters, especially past season with Maleficent, it was uninspired. Going to voice something maybe unpopular: Bring her back for audience to warm up with her again and then let her get killed, and be it in a more accidentally way, or herself sacrificing to prevent Emma from doing real evil or something, let her die a hero if you prefer (I very well could think of a much darker story but that's nothing for this show). Being selfish: They would do me a great favor cutting the very last thin string connecting me with their show.

Guess she will come later in the half season or season, right, because as far as what I've seen here there was no report about her being seen filming so far?

As excited as I was about Maleficent last season, I'm okay if the show forgets all about her and never brings her back. Talk about sucking out all the potential the character had by turning her into a weepy mess. And I care even less about Lily and who her father is, though I'm sure that star and crescent will come into play eventually when someone remembers seeing it (Emma) and will be all about how they  have to find Lily.

Then I will cry because WHY!

• Love 5

Since they threw Snowing under the bus for a recurring character Mal and her daughter can all go for all I care.

I'm still not over at the thought of them bringing Ruby back just to have Emma off her. I'll go rock in a corner again.

As long as I'm killing people off, they can add August, Whale and Phillip to potential kills. Sleeping Warrior could become canon then. How about no one dies, but Emma ships them off to some unknown realm. Is that better? That would be a "particularly bad" thing that isn't equal to the finality of death. We should just keep in mind that these guys thought Hook taking Ursula's singing voice was the worst thing ever, so I'm not even sure where "particularly bad" falls on their scale of awfulness. I highly doubt Emma will kill anyone unless it's self defense. 

• Love 2

We should just keep in mind that these guys thought Hook taking Ursula's singing voice was the worst thing ever, so I'm not even sure where "particularly bad" falls on their scale of awfulness.

We really do need to figure out an official sliding "scale of awfulness" for this show. (Murdering an Entire Village < Sending a Teenager to Jail < Stealing a Singing Voice < 10-Year-Old Telling a Secret < Eggnapping?) Maybe the Morality Thread would be a good place to compile that list...

• Love 2

We really do need to figure out an official sliding "scale of awfulness" for this show. (Murdering an Entire Village < Sending a Teenager to Jail < Stealing a Singing Voice < 10-Year-Old Telling a Secret < Eggnapping?) Maybe the Morality Thread would be a good place to compile that list...

Replying, as suggested, in the morality thread.

• Love 1

I was excited to hear Red would be back for multiple episodes, and then I thought about the last person they brought back for "multi-episodes".  August.  Did we see any resolution between him and Gepetto?  Nope.  Did we see any clarification for how he found out about the Dagger, Neal, etc.?  Nope.  I would not want them to kill Red off, but I'm not going to get my hopes up that she will be used in a satisfying way.

• Love 1

I know this is like a super easy answer, but didn't August find this stuff out the same way Lily did? He told him about the book, so I assumed he also told hime about Neal. The dagger, he might've known about from his EF day and he likely knew the Dark One was looking for his son, the Apprentice probably told him where to find him or something.

If you don't know something, the Apprentice did it #becauseMerlin

• Love 2

^ That's what I figured too. But it would be nice to actually see a scene of August meeting the Apprentice. It could just be the Apprentice saying, "hey, I need to tell you something." And that would be fine. We could then infer that the Apprentice told him all that stuff.

Speaking of August, he should still be around. So we should see him at some point along with Lily and Mal. I wonder if the Author is locked in the basement too.

Unless the next time we see August he's a kid again. They could pull a "oh, the magic's worn off" move or whatever.

And I still would like to know if Mickey is actually alive or dead. I can't remember if they ever specified.

Edited by HoodlumSheep

Would Emma get revenge on people who have done her family wrong in the past?

KITSIS: Oh, I don’t know if she will be getting revenge on people who have wronged her family as much as perhaps her family may have wronged her.

Forgive my language, but what the effin' fuck does this even mean? When I read the question, I thought Regina and Rumple should be in Emma's cross hairs. Are we choosing to forget the role those two played on her 28 years of abandonment and focusing on her family?

Is she going to blame her parents for leaving her?

Yeah, I don't get it.

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Love 5

The scoop are the same spoilers we've gotten from the last time EW interviewed A&E at least it seems that way to me.

If Emma doesn't get revenge on the real people who harmed her and her family I'm going flip a table. Unless they include Regina as a family member which technically she is.

Edited by mjgchick
  • Love 3

It's gonna be hilarious how Rumple and Regina are "family" all the time when they need their ass saved and when they need a reason why their horrific acts should be forgiven, but in this instance, they're not family, only Snow and Charming count!

• Love 9

KITSIS: Oh, I don’t know if she will be getting revenge on people who have wronged her family as much as perhaps her family may have wronged her.

Forgive my language, but what the effin' fuck does this even mean? When I read the question, I thought Regina and Rumple should be in Emma's cross hairs. Are we choosing to forget the role those two played on her 28 years of abandonment and focusing on her family?

Is she going to blame her parents for leaving her?

Yeah, I don't get it.

Yeah, it sounds like Emma is going to blame her parents and only them for everything. Not that I'm surprised. A&E adore Regina and Rumple and hate the Charmings so it makes sense.

Edited by RadioGirl27
  • Love 5

Forgive my language, but what the effin' fuck does this even mean?

Thank you, I was just about to point out how strange that sentence sounds. I think Eddy tries to be mysterious with his answers, but when you read it back, it barely sounds like English.

Edited by Curio
I think Eddy tries to sound mysterious with his answers, but when you read it back, it barely sounds like English.

He needs to stop. It sounds like her beef is with her parents and her parents alone. I'm all for Emma working out her issues with her parents, and by parents, I mean Snow, but Snow didn't fuck her over willingly, ever.  Meanwhile, baby Emma on the side of the freeway, the foster homes, jail, lonely life can be traced right back to Regina and Rumple's door step.

*takes deep breath* I will rant more when this episode airs.

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Love 5
Yeah, it sounds like Emma is going to blame her parents and only them for everything. Not that I'm surprised. A&E adore Regina and Rumple and hate the Charmings so it makes sense.

I guess they've forgotten that Emma was the one who reassured Snow with the fact that it was all Regina's fault for casting the curse.

And they really need to decide on Hook's age and stick with it. He himself said his age was closer to 200, and in the episode with the Ursula flashback he told her it had been nearly a century since he lost Milah (and it didn't seem like 200 years had passed for her after that). Now they're saying in this interview that he's been trying to kill Rumple for 300 years.

Can you talk a little bit about the discussion over who should possess the dagger?

KITSIS: I would say who you trust with the dagger is an interesting thing. You want to trust the person who has your best interests at heart, but in the same respect, who would you say has the ability to unplug the machine? Meaning who’s the person that’s going to make the right decision at the right time? Emma’s the Dark One, and so who she gives that knife to …

HOROWITZ: Or who takes the knife.

KITSIS: Or who takes the knife has a lot of meaning and emotion but also some practicality to it.

Regina is the one that is going to hold the dagger, isn't she? And it would be Emma who gives it to her, probably because she trust her more than she trust her "horrible, horrible" parents or her loving boyfriend.

Anyway, in the pic that goes with the article, you can see something that looks like the Dark One Vault behind Emma and Rumple.

Edited by RadioGirl27

I have run out of tables to flip. Regina and Rumple get a pass, but we get to see the Charmings punished yet again?

Regina is the one that is going to hold the dagger, isn't she? And it would be Emma who gives it to her, probably because she trust her more than she trust her "horrible, horrible" parents or her loving boyfriend.

Of course, becuase Regina is the new Savior while Emma's horrible parents will be revealed to have done something so evil, you will barely comprehend it. I bet Snow and Charming played the part of Timon and Pumba and saved Simba from dying in the desert. Can Scar ever forgive them? Should Emma ever trust them after they did such a vile thing?  Could they not see that Scar wanted his baby nephew dead so he could be King after he murdered his brother? Must they crush everyone's dream?

I'm not looking forward to Emma going all evil and her being blamed for it. Maybe the catalyst that makes her go evil is that Regina takes out her heart. Maybe Regina thinks that will save her somehow (they can't control her with the dagger, so Regina wants the heart as a failsafe control), but without her heart, Emma goes instantly dark.  That might account for the disagreement between Snow and Charming as to how to save Emma. Snow always goes with Regina's plans while Charming is more skeptical. Regina's plan often seems to be to take out somebody's heart.

Edited by kili
  • Love 3

Yes. Of course Regina is going to hold the dagger. Because she's so practical and always makes the right decisions. It will be so emotional, that Emma trusts New Perfect Savior Regina so much more than her parents or boyfriend. And then SQers can write all sorts of fanfic where Regina commands Emma to do sexual things.

Edited by Souris

[Hook] doesn't give up so easy, he doesn't change himself that easy.

Except, you know, that one time Killian drastically ditched his Lieutenant lifestyle and did a 180 to become a rockstar pirate. (Unless that transition happened slowly over a couple years off screen.)

For the very first time since Season 1, we're going to really see [snow and Charming] disagreeing about the best way to save their daughter.

I'm actually excited about this part. How will Snow and Charming differ when it comes to "saving" Emma? Based on this show's past history, I'd lean towards Charming having a better plan than Snow; he was the one who saw the goodness in their unborn child with the unicorn prophecy, he's generally more level-headed when it comes to making tough decisions, and the writers love to make Snow look terrible. But with Charming bro-ing it out with Arthur, maybe he's being fed false information about the Dark One and trusting Arthur instead of listening to his wife.

I wonder if everyone will have a different plan to "save" Emma. I could see Snow, David, Hook, Henry, Rumple, Regina, and even Belle with different opinions. Snow will probably look at the situation with her black-and-white lenses on and constantly tell Emma she needs to avoid the darkness without doing too much else to help the situation, David will do whatever his bro Arthur says which will probably be some ancient prophecy that Merlin is tricking them into, Hook will go to drastic lengths at the beginning but then probably sacrifice himself in the end and give Emma the option to save herself, Henry will look at a book with a magnifying glass for 22 episodes, Rumple will manipulate Emma into becoming more dark while telling her he's trying to "help" her, Regina will do whatever the writers come up with as the "best" plan because of...reasons, and Belle will follow the How To Save the Dark One book to the letter.

Edited by Curio
  • Love 3
Hook will go to drastic lengths at the beginning but then probably sacrifice himself in the end and give Emma the option to save herself

Speaking of...at D23, they did say that everyone would have their own ideas about how to save Emma and they said Hook and Regina would butt heads. After the little snippet we got on Sunday (which btw, I was travelling that evening and the airport wifi decided to be extra bitchy and the connection dropped right when someone posted the promo and I nearly cried), I'm thinking he wants to go to Zelena and Regina refuses.

How in the world did his ass managed to get in there with nurse Ratchet standing guard and the door being magically sealed?

How in the world did his ass manage to get in there with nurse Ratchet standing guard and the door being magically sealed?

Hook is equal parts resourceful and misguided, with one side outweighing the other depending on what the writers need him to be at the moment.

How would you say this Dark Swan is different from what we know of Emma?

HOROWITZ: I would say that Dark Swan is an extension of Emma and an exploration of who she is. Just like when Rumpelstiltskin became the Dark One, it became an extension of all the character traits, flaws, and strengths he had.

KITSIS: He was a coward, and the knife gave him the freedom to be powerful.

HOROWITZ: [emphasis mine] Emma becoming Dark Swan has been a great opportunity for us to explore who she is at her deepest levels and to see those traits exploded in a way. That’s what the Darkness does to you. It takes who you are and twists it, and that’s what we’re going to see with Emma.

I’m sorry, what? Emma becoming the Dark Swan “has been a great opportunity for us to explore who she is at her deepest levels”? What. The. Hell. Sounds like what you’re saying, Adam, is that it took you five seasons to getting around to sincerely exploring Emma’s character, but to find the wherewithal to do so you contrived to make Emma evil. And not evil because she did something bad, but evil because doing something good and selfless made her evil *facepalm*.

The Deluded Duo really hate writing for good people, don’t they. Going by Adam’s statement above, the only way they can bring themselves to explore a character at “[their] deepest levels” is to artificially induce the character into becoming evil. *SMH*

Also, Emma possessed by Dark Flubber is what exposes her "deepest levels"??? No. *TABLE FLIPPING*!!!!!

Here’s the problem (among many) as I see it:

The Dark One’s curse as originally structured in S1 made it so that an act of evil - murder - was what endowed those willing to murder with this horrible power - The Dark One’s power. Rumpel’s choice (of his own free will) to murder Zoso and Rumpel’s choice to commit that evil act bound Rumpel to the darkness and the power that comes from the Dark One’s curse (in Star Wars terms,  Rumpel chose the dark side by doing something evil and enjoying it). As such, becoming The Dark One, as originally presented by this show, wasn’t about possession, it was about the seduction of darkness and power, and Rumpel’s choice to commit that act of evil is what made him The Dark One (and his actions thereafter to always choose that corrupting, dark power over good).

But that’s not what happened with Emma. Emma did not commit an act of evil to become The Dark One. Emma’s actions were selfless, self sacrificing — truly the definition of heroism, IMO. And so to force the Dark Swan into existence, to make this nonsense work, the writers have performed an epic asspull by revising (I actually call it a retcon) The Dark One to be an actual separate entity — Dark Flubber — that possesses anyone, even someone who does something utterly selfless and for the greater good. And that no longer makes The Dark One a choice that exposes a character’s flaws because they've changed the premise by making it so that one can become the Dark One by doing something good!

The Dark One is now, in essence, a separate entity that virtually controls/manipulates the person who it in inhabits. And thus, this asspull all at once not only undermines who Rumpel is as a character by absolving him of all evil because Dark Flubber made him do it, it also undermines who Emma is by transforming her into evil for doing something good. Writing the Dark One as an entity that possesses people and claiming that possession exposes that person's flaws is like saying forcing mind-altering drugs down someone’s throat and making them behave contrary to their nature exposes who they really are. No, it only tells me that people who have been drugged do crazy shit because drugs are bad!

I have run out of tables to flip. Regina and Rumple get a pass, but we get to see the Charmings punished yet again?

I too am now officially out of tables to flip.

Edited by regularlyleaded
  • Love 7

I am on the verge of angry tweeting Adam about that comment, but I refuse to let his comment ruin my birthday. Also, offtopic: Brigitte tweeted me back after I tweeted her about her rewatch.

She had made the comment about how the scene between Regina and her dad showed how she wasn't completely heartless. I made the comment about how she still killed her dad 2 seconds later. She replied that it showed how surprising it was that Regina did seem to care. ??? I know that because the dark curse worked, it means Regina loved her father most, but clearly she didn't care enough to let her father live. I'm gonna hold my tongue though.

If Emma does not go after Regina and Rumple at all, then I'm probably bailing. I understand why she'd go after her parents a little, but if she skips the other two completely...

• Love 1
But that’s not what happened with Emma. Emma did not commit an act of evil to become The Dark One. Emma’s actions were selfless, self sacrificing — truly the definition of heroism, IMO. And so to make this nonsense work, to force the Dark Swan into existence, the writers have performed an epic asspull by revising (I actually call it a retcon) The Dark One to be an actual separate entity — Dark Flubber — that possess anyone, even someone who does something utterly selfless and for the greater good. And that no longer makes The Dark One a choice that exposes a character’s flaws because they've changed the premise by making it so that one can become the Dark One by doing something good!

That's pretty much the part that sucks in all of this. She makes the ultimate sacrifice and she pays the heaviest price of all. It's not like Emma will get over committing acts of evil because she's Emma. Unlike the other two, if she kills someone, I don't see her getting over it just like that.

They have to be really careful how they handle that.

Why is Emma wet in that pic?

Maybe that's how she came out of the vault?

So what I'm getting with the Dark One's vault being in the background is that everyone just ends up in the EF and not Camelot unless Merida takes Emma to Camelot and the others follow?

Edited by YaddaYadda

Why is Emma wet in that pic?

Maybe they chose to film Emma emerging from the Dark One's cell while it was raining outside for dramatic effect. Rumple's hair can't be wet though because he's just a figment of the Dark One's imagination.

Regina is the one that is going to hold the dagger, isn't she? 

It certainly looks like it, as Regina would not be "emotionally" invested as her parents or bf. So, people may think of her as the practical choice, especially as Snow and Charming will be disagreeing with each other. Let's hope Regina doesn't try to control Emma using the Dagger, and if she does, Emma should not let it go.

So there are tons of symbols on that Dark One vault, including a triquetra and a star. I haven't got a clue what the rest is. 

There is the ouroboros symbol encircling the outer rim of the door. It makes sense with the Dark One Curse/entity being passed on from one human being to another. Maybe Emma will be the one to end the perpetual cycle of regeneration.

So, if Emma's coming out of the Dark One's special cave/bunker/whatever--does that mean that the Dark One vault has doors to multiple realms?

Hey, maybe Rumple could have transported himself to the LwM via the Dark One vault? ;-)

Edited by Rumsy4

Regina and Rumple get a pass

Technically Regina is family, as she is Emma's step-grandmother. But I highly doubt the writers took note of that with their response.

KITSIS: Oh, boy, is it. For the very first time since season 1, we’re going to really see them disagreeing about the best way to save their daughter. And it is absolutely like any parents with a child: when you don’t know how to save the child, it causes a lot of stress at home.

Didn't they just disagree in 4B? I seem to recall them having little arguments all over that arc about how to handle the lie to Emma.

KITSIS: And perhaps, if we saw that video at Comic-Con, the question that we would be posing for our audience is what happened to lead her there?

Eddie isn't very good about being clear, is he? They've already stated the video at Comic-Con was not canon. Here he makes it sound like it is.

Edited by KingOfHearts

I recognize the outrage that Emma would want revenge on her parents and not Regina/Rumpel, but I was leaning more towards her being upset at whatever they did once she took on the Darkness and not the stuff that led to her miserable childhood. Something has to happen to push Emma fully dark and I'm positive it will be because Snow does something really, really stupid because that's how this show rolls. 

Interviews with Adam & Eddy are full of lies and complete nonsense in general, so I take their answers with a huge grain of salt. That said, nothing they've said so far makes me interested in the Dark Swan arc. In fact, it's leading me to seriously consider not watching this season. Add in Robin & Zelena and their magical fetus and I'm very close to jumping ship and considering the 3A finale as the end of the show.

• Love 4

So, DS will be mostly at odds with her parents, well that sound original ... not.

If only, that will be meaning that the relationship between Emma, David and specifically Snow will have the focus needed. Heavy sigh!!!

So, Hook'sole arc will be saving the DS I'm still unsure if that is a good because it mean is role is significant in doing some real saving ...or bad because mostly he will just be the DS sidekick ( seduction scene) and all the others will have an arc (role) in operations save DS but him in reality.

Let's hope Regina doesn't try to control Emma using the Dagger, and if she does, Emma should not let it go.

I'm 99.99% positive we're going to get a scene where Regina controls Emma with the dagger and forces her to stop doing something evil, and Regina will be seen as "super heroic" because she's taking one for the team knowing full well Emma will get mad at her, and then Dark Emma will lash out at Regina and they'll get into a fight. And then when Emma gets back to normal at the end of the season, she'll go and apologize to Regina and thank her for making that difficult decision and that she didn't mean what she said as the Dark One. Even though the Dark One's Curse just brings out things you've been bottling up...

Edited by Curio
  • Love 3

And then when Emma gets back to normal at the end of the season, she'll go and apologize to Regina and thank her for making that difficult decision and that she didn't mean what she said as the Dark One. 

She'll probably spend the whole season apologizing to Regina, and put her life on hold yet again to make it up to her. 

• Love 5

I don't think anyone is trust worthy to hold the Dagger. Regina is emotionally unstable for the wrong reasons. Killian has no chill when his loved ones are suffering. David listens to everything Snow says mean while Snow has no chill when trying to prove how good a person is she's right when it comes to Emma but she also doesn't know when to not push Emma's buttons when it comes to things.

Maybe Henry might be the best option but it's not Henry from S1 though so Emma's screwed.

• Love 4

I'm not sure Snow should be anywhere near that dagger. We all remember what happened last time she had it in her hands. Hot potato much?

I'd go with either David or Hook because I'm pretty sure Emma trusts them above everyone else, plus they would die to try and protect her (and that thing). In fact they both "died" trying to protect her.  

No one has the dagger? Unless the idiot loses it. Emma's walking around all decked out in her evil black trench and they already said she's going to do something evil, like out a paternity secret, so obviously none of the Storybrooke crew is holding it. I think they should've just made the dagger null and void since we just went through an entire half arc of "who's got the dagger." Not to mention it makes zero sense why they don't just pull a Belle and make her go back to NYC. Why doesn't anybody ask this? It's the most obvious thing and guarantee those clowns will not be able to come up with anything approaching logic.

Or maybe Emma should just fedex it to Elsa.

They better not be lying about telling the DO mythology. They said we're going to meet the first one. Who is that? Merlin?

And when was pre-DO Rump ever a coward? I don't think any of the stuff we've seen could qualify. His most cowardly acts came as the DO. Like dropping Bae down a portal. I thought that was the whole point-irony.

Between hobbling himself to avoid combat, not fighting for Milah when Hook "kidnapped" her, trying to flee ahead of Bae bring conscripted and becoming the Dark One because he was too scared to fight for Bae any other way, I think pre-DO Rumpel's "cowardly" bona fides were pretty well established. That and him and those around him calling him a coward at every opportunity.

Edited by Amerilla
  • Love 3

Not really. He hobbled himself to avoid combat for the sole purpose of circumventing the seer's vision that he would die on the field and leave his baby father-less. Before that he was all for combat and chain mail. He didn't sword fight for Milah but he dragged his gimpy leg to the alleged super villain pirate and attempted reasoning. He plotted to become the DO to save Bae. I don't care that everyone and he himself deemed him a coward. Everyone and their momma labeled Eva evil for outing a paternity secret and equated it with mass murder. That doesn't make it true. In fact 99% of what the writers say never align with what they present onscreen. And the majority of those things aren't even up for interpretation unless you're anti-logic.

Rump's actions are more debateable but then don't label it so definitively. If they want to make it black and white like their claims are, then do so onscreen. He's a coward? Have him run away screaming into the night from war at the sight of blood. Especially when they're about to use it to create a whole cracked out mythology. Just like they're about to assign definitive traits to Emma to "twist" it and have everyone onscreen repeat it 50 million times when it's not going to be true at all.

I mean they've already done it. They said Emma was smart and that translates as the DS. I'm sorry but even in a village full of idiots like Storybrooke/EF, smart doesn't exactly fit her. I wouldn't use that word to describe anyone in that town.

• Love 3