Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings and Scheduling: Hail to the Gods

caracas1914
  • Start Topic

I'll be curious to see how the 7 day viewing stacks up next to other episodes.  I imagine the 150th will have a bit of a bump too, but I can see this one getting a higher repeat viewing or pull in those viewers that had wandered away but still want to tap into the happy announcement.  

• Love 1
15 hours ago, quarks said:

These shows aren't hiring regulars to spend money. They're hiring regulars to save money. 

If only they could save money by hiring regulars who can both actually act and written to be likeable while not taking over or dominating storylines of exsisting characters 😢

• Love 1

CW Live + 7 Ratings for the week of January 28 - February 3.  For some reason there was no Top 40 report for this week, so all the info is pulled from Programming Insider’s final ratings reports for each date.  I’ll go through and add the links later when I’m not typing this on my cell phone. 😕

• The Flash - 1.18, 3.354 million.
  • Riverdale - 0.81, 2.176 million.
  • Supernatural - 0.71, 2.276 million. 
  • Arrow - 0.63, 1.930 million. (#711 - Past Sins)
  • Roswell NM - 0.56, 2.082 million.
  • Legacies - 0.56, 1.710 million.
  • Black Lightning - 0.51, 1.543 million. 
  • All American - 0.36, 1.079 million.
  • Dynasty - 0.23, 0.813 million.
  • Crazy Ex-Girlfriend - 0.20, 0.591 million.

Live + SD Ratings for comparison.

• The Flash - 0.67, 2.041 million.
  • Riverdale - 0.41, 1.266 million.
  • Supernatural - 0.39, 1.396 million.
  • Arrow - 0.36, 1.177 million.
  • Roswell NM - 0.33, 1.275 million.
  • Legacies - 0.32, 1.009 million.
  • Black Lightning - 0.29, 0.928 million.
  • All American - 0.22, 0.768 million.
  • Dynasty - 0.16, 0.605 million.
  • Crazy Ex-Girlfriend - 0.10, 0.402 million.

Supergirl and Charmed aired reruns on February 3.

Links to Ratings reports (all from Programming Insider):

Edited by Starfish35
Added source links
  • Useful 3

CW Live + 7 Ratings for the week of February 4-10.  Again, all numbers from Programming Insider - links to be added later.

• The Flash - 1.24, 3.420 million.
  • Supernatural - 0.85, 2.615 million.
  • Riverdale - 0.70, 1.891 million.
  • Arrow - 0.60, 1.688 million. (#712 - Emerald Archer)
  • Roswell NM - 0.59, 2.041 million.
  • Legacies - 0.59, 1.796 million.
  • Black Lightning - 0.50, 1.515 million.
  • All American - 0.33, 0.973 million.
  • Dynasty - 0.23, 0.836 million.
  • Crazy Ex-Girlfriend - 0.19, 0.556 million.

Live + SD Ratings for comparison:

• The Flash - 0.68, 1.895 million.
  • Supernatural - 0.49, 1.640 million.
  • Legacies - 0.37, 1.129 million.
  • Arrow - 0.35, 1.041 million.
  • Roswell NM - 0.33, 1.138 million.
  • Riverdale - 0.32, 0.961 million.
  • Black Lightning - 0.30, 0.939 million.
  • All American - 0.18, 0.574 million. 
  • Dynasty - 0.16, 0.614 million.
  • Crazy Ex-Girlfriend - 0.13, 0.412 million.

Supergirl and Charmed again aired re-runs on February 10.

*Top 40 Live+7 Report for the week of February 4-10*

Edited by Starfish35
Added source links
  • Useful 2

Also, since I know some of you were curious, here’s the Live+7 Ratings for February 11, although the full weekly report won’t be out until next week. (Link)

• Arrow - 0.63, 1.752 million. (#713 - Star City Slayer)
  • Black Lightning - 0.50, 1.513 million.

Compared to Live + SD:

• Arrow - 0.36, 1.089 million
  • Black Lightning - 0.29, 0.942 million.

That’s an increase of 75% in the 18-49 rating, and 61% in total viewers, compared to a 70% increase in the 18-49 rating and 61% in total viewers the prior week.

Edited by Starfish35
Added source link
  • Useful 2

Arrow Season Seven Live+7 ratings to date:

• #701 - 0.81, 2.348 million.
  • #702 - 0.74, 2.033 million
  • #703 - 0.72, 2.038 million.
  • #704 - 0.70, 1.983 million.
  • #705 - 0.67, 1.939 million.
  • #706 - 0.62, 1.812 million. 
  • #707 - 0.73, 2.117 million.
  • #708 - 0.81, 2.236 million.
  • #709 - 1.29, 3.462 million.
  • #710 - 0.69, 2.077 million.
  • #711 - 0.63, 1.930 million.
  • #712 - 0.60, 1.688 million.
  • #713 - 0.63, 1.752 million.

CW Live + 7 Ratings for the week of February 11-17.

• The Flash - 1.13, 3.045 million.
  • Supergirl - 0.66, 2.199 million.
  • Arrow - 0.63, 1.752 million (#713 - Star City Slayer)
  • Charmed - 0.52, 1.535 million.
  • Black Lightning - 0.50, 1.513 million.
  • Roswell NM - 0.49, 1.983 million.

Live + SD Ratings for comparison:

• The Flash - 0.61, 1.710 million.
  • Arrow - 0.36, 1.089 million.
  • Supergirl - 0.30, 1.147 million.
  • Black Lightning - 0.29, 0.942 million.
  • Roswell NM - 0.26, 1.135 million.
  • Charmed - 0.23, 0.774 million.

On February 13, 14, and 15, Riverdale, All American, and Legacies ran reruns.  Supernatural, Dynasty, and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend did not air.

Edited by Starfish35
(edited)

Some interesting stats regarding audience crossover and U.S. geographical viewership for Arrow (and other CW shows)...

Inside the Mega-Hits of The CW
Eleanor Semeraro   February 28, 2019
https://tvrev.com/inside-the-mega-hits-of-the-cw/

... we worked with Inscape, the TV data company with glass-level insights from a panel of more than 10 million smart TVs, to uncover insights around established hits including The Flash, Riverdale and Arrow, as well as newer debuts such as the rebooted Charmed (which originally aired on The WB from 1998-2006) and Legacies.

First, we looked at audience crossover among all of the shows. A note about methodology: You have to do more than just flip past a station with your remote to count as a “crossover viewer” in Inscape’s system. For the data below, the minimum viewing threshold is 10 minutes.

CrossoverviewingbetweenTheFlashRiverdale

At the top end of things, 50% of Arrow viewers have tuned into The Flash during the current season, while 44% of Legacies fans have watched Charmed episodes and 44% of households tuned into The Flash have also checked out Arrow. On the flip side, only 13% of Charmed viewers have watched Riverdale or Legacies.
Here are heatmaps of household viewership for the five shows across U.S. DMAs (the darker the color, the more households were tuning in). The Las Vegas and Los Angeles DMAs in particular popped for these shows, with other hot spots occurring throughout the Midwest with a smattering on the East Coast.
DMARatingsforTheFlashRiverdaleArrowCharm 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

Yeah, it hit lower than 1 million a few times last season already (and even lower than this number for 714).

People must have wanted to see Colton jump that fence on the Bachelor XD.

Edited by way2interested
(edited)

It's only an issue if it becomes a pattern and even then it's already been renewed.  One bad week doesn't mean anything. And before Quarks jumps in with her normal reminder The CW doesn't care about Ratings anyway

Edited by Morrigan2575
2 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

It's only an issue if it becomes a pattern and even then it's already been renewed.  One bad week doesn't mean anything. And before Quarks jumps in with her normal reminder The CW doesn't care about Ratings anyway

The CW doesn't care about the ratings because their shows make money other ways (a big one being their super lucrative Netflix deal). But that deal expires this spring and at the TCAs last month they hinted that they're pulling the Arrowverse shows out of Netflix for the new Warner Media streaming app. It'll be interesting to see if that changes their valuation of ratings after that. 

• Love 1

I’m not sure we can say they don’t care at all about ratings. For example, All American is fairly certain to be cancelled, as the lowest-rated new WB show of this season.  But yes, there’s a lot of other factors that they deal with, such as their Dynasty deal and the soon-to-expire Netflix deal.  

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Trisha said:

The CW doesn't care about the ratings because their shows make money other ways (a big one being their super lucrative Netflix deal). But that deal expires this spring and at the TCAs last month they hinted that they're pulling the Arrowverse shows out of Netflix for the new Warner Media streaming app. It'll be interesting to see if that changes their valuation of ratings after that. 

The CW though never implied they are ending their Netflix deal. The guy from Warnermedia may want their shows, but the Netflix deal not only helps CW stay afloat, it's also not about the WB shows. CWs CBS shows go to Netflix as well since CW is a joint venture between CBS & WB. A beta version of Warnermedia wont even be a available until end of 2019. So it'll be interesting to see how all this plays out.

• Love 1

I’m not sure we can say they don’t care at all about ratings. For example, All American is fairly certain to be cancelled, as the lowest-rated new WB show of this season.  

Yes, I would think they care somewhat considering, TV ads is a million dollar industry. It may not be a main factor anymore, but its still a source of revenue. Among many others, of course. 

Aside from The Flash [for now], all CW shows are doing very low similar numbers, so its going to be interesting how CW deals with that. 

(edited)

I think with the writing, acting and production quality is about on par with what it should be getting.

If ratings are a concern they should address these issues.  While no show is perfect Arrow has fully reached the level of "WTF". There's no point in even quibbling about it anymore and as a fan I expect it to be fairly poor most weeks.

I imagine a normal person sitting down to it and just thinking "I don't have time for this kind of rubbish."

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 2
28 minutes ago, WonderArtist said:

Yes, I would think they care somewhat considering, TV ads is a million dollar industry. It may not be a main factor anymore, but its still a source of revenue. Among many others, of course. 

They must not care that much since they took a 3 week break in the middle of February sweeps. 

• Love 2
(edited)

The CW Sets 13 Season Finale Dates
By Rebecca Iannucci / March 7 2019, 11:25 AM PST
https://tvline.com/2019/03/07/supernatural-arrow-riverdale-season-finales-the-cw/

Monday, May 13
9 pm Arrow

Arrow season 7 coming to Netflix in May 2019
by Sandy C. March 7, 2019
https://netflixlife.com/2019/03/07/arrow-season-7-coming-netflix-may-2019/

Last year, Arrow season 6 concluded on May 17, 2018, and was streaming on Netflix just a week later. Fortunately, that deal is still on so expect the same to happen once Arrow season 7 ends. When is that, exactly?

The CW has released finale dates for all of their currently airing shows. So, according to TV Line, Arrow season 7 wraps up on May 13! This means fans can expect to see all season 7 episodes streaming on Netflix the following week, May 21.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)
On 3/6/2019 at 3:11 AM, Mellowyellow said:

I think with the writing, acting and production quality is about on par with what it should be getting.

Their budget is likely dwindling each season...

They must not care that much since they took a 3 week break in the middle of February sweeps. 

True but they are also bad at business and planning. I wonder if they will allow Dynasty to go to 0.0 in demo. 

Edited by WonderArtist
(edited)

This writer clearly is not aware of SA's facebook post, but the stats are still interesting...

EXCLUSIVE: Arrow Was Second Most Popular Arrowverse Show Before Cancellation
BY THOMAS BACON – ON MAR 08, 2019 
https://screenrant.com/arrow-ratings-popular-arrowverse-show/

According to information provided exclusively to Screen Rant by Parrot Analytics, a data analytics firm who believe they offer the most accurate measure of demand for TV shows, the Arrowverse remains hugely successful. All four series are still among the top 0.03% of TV series in terms of demand in the United States. In order, they are:

• The Flash - the most popular of the Arrowverse series, The Flash is in the top 0.01% of TV shows in the US. Until The Umbrella Academy, it's consistently been the most in-demand superhero show of all.
  • Arrow is in second place, although in recent months demand has begun to decline.
  • Supergirl is usually in third place, although of late demand has sometimes surpassed Arrow.
  • Finally, there's Legends of Tomorrow, which consistently brings up the rear.

Surprisingly, this pattern is maintained across all of the 10 largest consumer markets worldwide, a level of "agreement" that's quite unusual. But the trends over time are rather more revealing.
Arrowverse-Demand.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=73

This graph shows changes in demand in the United States since January 2018, and the trend is clearly visible; all four shows are hugely popular, with demand peaking around the "Elseworlds" Arrowverse event in December, and dropping steeply over Christmas during the mid-season break. What's interesting, though, is that since December demand for Arrow and Supergirl has been roughly equal, with Supergirl occasionally moving into second place. The Flash is clearly now the flagship program, a fact that tallies perfectly with the series' higher viewing figures.

Arrow is still in a strong position though, and that means the cancellation probably isn't just due to changes in demand. There are probably a number of other reasons for Arrow's cancellation; Stephen Amell's contract was always due to end in 2019, the stories have felt as though they were beginning to get a little stale, and DC wanted to launch a new Batwoman TV series. The CW execs have frequently expressed concern over having too many different superhero shows on the network at any one time, so may have been reluctant to green-light another series without a cancellation. All in all, it looks as though the decision was made for strategic reasons; Arrow has been a huge success, and by the time it ends will have run for eight seasons. But the show's time has come.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Mary0360 said:

So what do we think- Stephen was just saving face and the show is no longer attractive to buyers or the show ended because Stephen was ready to leave? 

Could it be both? The show was no longer attractive to buyers because Stephen was planning on leaving? I wouldn't really want to watch an Arrow-less Arrow.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
1 minute ago, apinknightmare said:

Could it be both? The show was no longer attractive to buyers because Stephen was planning on leaving? I wouldn't really want to watch an Arrow-less Arrow.

I think the ratings guy was saying though that the decision was based on the buyers and that the story Stephen was ready to leave is just the spin. 🤷‍♀️

14 minutes ago, Mary0360 said:

So what do we think- Stephen was just saving face and the show is no longer attractive to buyers or the show ended because Stephen was ready to leave? 

I think this person didn't account for SA quitting. 

So yes, the show without SA is no longer attractive to buyers. If SA said he'd do a full 22 episode season, S8 would be 22 episodes. He agreed to extend his contract which ends 722 for 10 episodes. Which is why S8 is 10 episodes.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Mary0360 said:

I think the ratings guy was saying though that the decision was based on the buyers and that the story Stephen was ready to leave is just the spin. 🤷‍♀️

I know, but I'm saying that it could be that the buyers aren't interested in the show without Stephen. He said he told Greg last season that he thought this season should be his last, and I believe him. Perhaps buyers were aware of this and weren't interested in a show that continued on without him, so it's a little bit of both.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Mary0360 said:

There were too many things that SA said and did back in season 6 for me not to believe him when he and the show runners say he decided not to come back.  If the show runners could have sold to these 3rd party buyers an Arrow without SA, then I'm sure they would have kept Arrow going.  But the buyers not wanting to buy more seasons of Arrow without SA is pretty much the same thing as SA walking away and the show runners deciding to cancel it.  One leads infinitely to the other.  

Most shows don't survive long or at all without their lead and most shows don't even try.  The Grim Reaper guy is just IMO hyper focused on one aspect of the business without acknowledging what drives that decision.    

• Love 6

Agreed that the show isn't attractive to buy without SA. NTA proved that. I wonder if the comment about "the next generation" of superhero shows was a deliberate nod to a possible Mia-William-Connor show.

I've been wondering whether the physical demands of Arrow is part of why SA isn't renewing his contract even though it seems like he's got nothing else coming up. He's been complaining of getting hurt more and he's in his late 30s.

1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

I've been wondering whether the physical demands of Arrow is part of why SA isn't renewing his contract even though it seems like he's got nothing else coming up. He's been complaining of getting hurt more and he's in his late 30s.

I wondered about that, too, especially after Michael Jai White described how hard Arrow worked Stephen during the early seasons.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Agreed that the show isn't attractive to buy without SA. NTA proved that. I wonder if the comment about "the next generation" of superhero shows was a deliberate nod to a possible Mia-William-Connor show.

And yet the place he actually seems to always get injured is off doing non Arrow stuff.  Either wrestling or the Ninja Warrior thing in S5. They IMO did overwork SA on Arrow in the early seasons to be sure (also he probably was being a perfectionist so helped overwork himself at times) but I think they at least were careful about bringing in the stunt guy to avoid him getting injured, lol.  

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

He's complained about a nerve in his back at least twice that I can remember.

I can't help wonder if he pinched it or whatever happened to the nerve after the Ninja Warrior injury where he had to then go right to filming 520 with carrying EBR and the big OTA dangle from the ladder.  He's talked about the pain he was in and I swear the nerve issues showed up that summer.

No matter what, ouch.    

• Love 1

I believe SA's facebook comments. I believe that if SA had signed on to do a few more seasons, Arrow would keep going for a few more seasons.

Arrow is not the lowest rated show on The CW. Lower rated shows have not been cancelled. Also, Arrow is not the only Arrowverse show with dropping ratings (see, for example, The Flash's ratings recently hit a series low, although, of course, that show is in no danger of cancellation).

Also, I posted upthread a ScreenRant article about how Arrow is still the second most popular Arrowverse show, according to a Parrot Analytics study of demand for TV shows in the U.S.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 6

CW Ratings for the week of February 18-24: (Live+7 Top 40)

• Legacies: Live+SD 0.21 and 0.710 million viewers, Live+7 0.47 and 1.406 million viewers. (Link)

The rest of the CW lineup aired repeats or other programming.

CW Live+7 Ratings for the week of February 24-March 3 (Top 40 Report)

• Riverdale - 0.67, 1.730 million.
  • Supergirl - 0.65, 2.083 million.
  • Legacies - 0.50, 1.499 million.
  • Charmed - 0.49, 1.428 million.
  • Roswell NM - 0.40, 1.673 million.
  • All American - 0.35, 1.003 million.

Live+SD Ratings for comparison: 

• Supergirl - 0.37, 1.140 million.
  • Riverdale - 0.31, 0.860 million.
  • Legacies - 0.30, 0.872 million.
  • Charmed - 0.26, 0.738 million.
  • Roswell NM - 0.20, 0.890 million.
  • All American - 0.19, 0.614 million.

Links to ratings reports:

Arrow, Black Lightning, and The Flash aired repeats.  A Charmed rerun aired in place of Supernatural, and Friday aired other programming.

CW Live+7 Ratings for the week of March 4-10 (Top 40 Report)

• The Flash - 1.12, 3.092 million.
  • Supernatural - 0.70, 2.168 million.
  • Riverdale - 0.62, 1.719 million.
  • Supergirl - 0.55, 1.829 million.
  • Arrow - 0.54, 1.682 million. (#714 - Brothers & Sisters)
  • Legacies - 0.49, 1.529 million.
  • Roswell NM - 0.48, 1.805 million.
  • Charmed - 0.44, 1.308 million.
  • Black Lightning - 0.41, 1.295 million.
  • All American - 0.29, 0.973 million.

Live+SD Ratings for comparison:

• The Flash - 0.60, 1.685 million.
  • Supernatural - 0.38, 1.277 million.
  • Supergirl - 0.30, 1.038 million.
  • Riverdale - 0.30, 0.922 million.
  • Roswell NM - 0.27, 1.033 million.
  • Arrow - 0.24, 0.887 million.
  • Legacies - 0.24, 0.814 million.
  • Charmed - 0.23, 0.739 million.
  • Black Lightning - 0.22, 0.770 million.
  • All American - 0.18, 0.588 million.

Friday aired other programming.

**All links from Programming Insider**

CW Live + 7 Ratings for the week of March 11-17 (Top 40 Report)

• The Flash - 1.03, 2.820 million.
  • Supernatural - 0.74, 2.419 million.
  • Riverdale - 0.65, 1.728 million.
  • Supergirl - 0.64, 2.023 million.
  • Arrow - 0.56, 1.647 million (#715 - Training Day)
  • Legacies - 0.51, 1.578 million.
  • Black Lightning - 0.45, 1.387 million.
  • Roswell NM - 0.43, 1.706 million.
  • Charmed - 0.43, 1.279 million.
  • All American - 0.35, 1.010 million.
  • Dynasty - 0.18, 0.678 million.
  • Crazy Ex-Girlfriend - 0.17, 0.466 million.

Live + SD Ratings for comparison:

• The Flash - 0.54, 1.549 million.
  • Supernatural - 0.39, 1.510 million.
  • Riverdale - 0.33, 0.947 million.
  • Supergirl - 0.32, 1.067 million.
  • Arrow - 0.31, 1.023 million.
  • Legacies - 0.30, 0.966 million.
  • Roswell NM - 0.24, 0.918 million.
  • Black Lightning - 0.23, 0.750 million.
  • Charmed - 0.19, 0.650 million.
  • All American - 0.19, 0.599 million.
  • Dynasty - 0.12, 0.469 million.
  • Crazy Ex-Girlfriend - 0.09, 0.318 million.

**All links from Programming Insider**

• Useful 1