Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, tv echo said:

I am not experiencing this problem, but I have a suggestion.  When I plan to write a long post, I first write and edit it in a plain text file.  Once I'm satisfied with what I've written, then I copy and paste the whole thing into my reply in this forum.  In fact, sometimes I'll let it sit in the text file for a day and then re-read it the next day and make any necessary changes before I post it.

Thanks! Now I do a "copy/paste" before I click on "submit", but it's annoying to re-log everytime :)

1 hour ago, Ceylon5 said:

I've also been getting logged out by the system after short periods of inactivity - but only sometimes.  This latest time when it kept doing it, I ticked the "Remember me" box when I signed in and it seemed to do the trick, but I'm not sure if that'll work every time.

I'll try this trick, too, thank you!

(edited)

So Riverdale is basically a reboot of Dawson's Creek and 90210 with a little Gossip Girl thrown in, that is just using the character's names from an old comic book.

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 5

I admit I was never a huge comic book reader growing up but Archie comics were one of the few I did read so I was hoping that Riverdale would at least be somewhat appealing to me because of that.  I'm decidedly anti-because-comics for anything on TV but that tweet makes the show sound like a complete hot mess and not at all like the comics. :\

My first thought when I saw that poster was Twin Peaks, not Dawson's.

I don't know anything about Archie comics (the only stuff I heard about is the never-ending love triangle, which... yuck), so I don't really care what they'll do to the source material. I do like well-written teen dramas, so I may enjoy this if it's good (and they skip the love triangle).

• Love 1

I really wish they hadn't named the show Riverdale, because it makes me think of Rivendell from Lord of the Rings... which it seems it is not.

I'm definitely getting Dawson Creek's vibes from the marketing and the proposed storylines. In many ways, I guess that is predictable since every generation needs its Dawson's coming of age story. It's just a little more ironic now because it is being produced by some of the team responsible for DC, so it feels a little like he's digging through his creative scraps to make a quick profit.

• Love 1
Just now, foreverevolving said:

Oh yea, well I knew that. I had no idea who Connor was hence was I confused; I thought the GG reunion show got aired and I ended up missing something.

Oh lol. They meant Connor from Angel :) played by Kartheiser

3 minutes ago, foreverevolving said:

Oh yea, well I knew that. I had no idea who Connor was hence was I confused; I thought the GG reunion show got aired and I ended up missing something.

Hehe me too!!! I was like "But what about Logan?"

• Love 1
15 hours ago, bijoux said:

My Twitter saga continues. Now I'm locked out and asked to give my phone number for verification. Is it harmless or should I just leave it be? Maybe it's a sign that I don't really need an account at all.

I have verified my Twitter account this way after it got hacked, but it was so long ago I can't remember if they prompted me or if I went through steps to find out how to retake control first.  I do remember I googled how to report a hacked account and the instructions worked.  So if in doubt, I'd do some research.   

9 hours ago, Delphi said:

Agreed.   She's a national treasure. 

I really like Kat Dennings too but the show is toxic. 

6 hours ago, apinknightmare said:

That poster actually makes me think Dawson's Creek/murder mystery. Like...someone got pushed overboard and died in that lake. Jughead did it.

It bothers me that they are co-opting the Riverdale gang, but otherwise, the show with it's combo of teen drama and mystery interests me.  I'm just going to stop thinking of it as having anything to do with Archie and his gang and consider the use of their names just an homage. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, wonderwall said:

Frequency, the new CW show that will air after Arrow looks really cool!. 

I wasn't expecting them to use the case from the movie. I hope they use the "You went down 20 years ago, you just don't know it yet."

It looks intriguing. I like the casting. 

• Love 1

Anyone watch The 100? if so cpuld you explain the season finale to me?

Spoiler

why did Bellamy's sister kill yhe guy that used to be on ER? They seemed to be on the same side and then after the fighting was done (after he saved her life) she killed him.

Sure--this is coming from someone who used to love the show, saw the first five eps this season and haven't watched since (but I kept up via social media):

Spoiler

He killed hundreds of people on "her" side (the sides are confusing) at the beginning of the season, then killed her boyfriend midway through. He's a raging dickhead.

So today at work a newly hired guy was walking by my desk and saw my Felicity Funko, he was all excited cause he watched also (3 of us at work now do :D).

We talked about Arrow for probably a good half hour.  It was also a great reminder that the average viewer isn't like fandom viewers if that makes sense.

;)

• Love 13
(edited)

My crazy fandom viewing ways, is little to much for people at work...it not anything major or overt, they just they know I like it and have OPINIONS....hahaha.

But they know to come to me if they want spoilers.

Edited by Genki
Spelling my nemesis!!
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Carrie Ann said:

Sure--this is coming from someone who used to love the show, saw the first five eps this season and haven't watched since (but I kept up via social media):

Reveal hidden contents

He killed hundreds of people on "her" side (the sides are confusing) at the beginning of the season, then killed her boyfriend midway through. He's a raging dickhead.

thanks! i don't really watch i think i kind of just leave CW if i make it through a full episode of LoT.

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, bijoux said:

Pasting the link to a Facebook post now inserts that post directly. Cool.

Eh, to me that depends on the days. When it shows me the embedded content immediately, cool. When it starts to go slow and for example there's a post with more tweets, I often end up seeing just one - when I'm lucky - and the rest blank.

(edited)

A crappy Riverdale trailer from Twitter. Yeah it looks like Twin Peaks meets Dawson's Creek. One cliche after another. From the Upfronts this one people were raving about. I thought the Frequency trailer was better and made me want to check that show out. This one not so much. 

Edited by Sakura12
(edited)
1 hour ago, dtissagirl said:

This is super very long, but a really in-depth look at the overall TV production during the current Peak TV times. Couple of quotes from Berlanti too:

The Business of Too Much TV
There are more great shows in production now than ever before — but it’s never been harder to make one.
By Josef Adalian and Maria Elena Fernandez
http://www.vulture.com/2016/05/peak-tv-business-c-v-r.html

That was really interesting, and sheds more light on Stephen's comment about hoping that they don't lose any of their crew to Supergirl now that they're going to be in Vancouver.  That's not an idle concern, by the sounds of things.  Maybe the drop in quality in Arrow's stunts and so on is simply a mathematical thing - there really just aren't enough qualified people or available spaces to go around anymore.

Edited by Ceylon5
  • Love 1

That Riverdale teaser does not look promising. Is that teacher really Ms. Grundy? I do not need that image in my head! 

I'm looking forward to Frequency too. I loved the movie. 

6 hours ago, Thundercatmary said:

So today at work a newly hired guy was walking by my desk and saw my Felicity Funko, he was all excited cause he watched also (3 of us at work now do :D).

We talked about Arrow for probably a good half hour.  It was also a great reminder that the average viewer isn't like fandom viewers if that makes sense.

;)

That happened to me a few months ago and mine was a male viewer as well.  It's a great example of why the ratings don't wildly fluctuate as the online fandom goes psychotic over every little thing.

Ever since I've added both Green Arrow and Felicity Funkos to my desk, I've had people stop by and let me know they enjoy Arrow and love Olicity and Felicity. These are colleagues I wouldn't have pegged as Arrow watchers at all. They don't follow the show on social media but they get really excited when they find other fans. They don't pick apart the plots like we do on this board. They watch, and then they look forward to next week. One thing that sort of surprised me is how the male fans, almost all of them, enjoyed domestic Olicity and how much they don't like them being apart. The female fans are more divided, they're OK with them being not together as long as there's no third party and there's flirtiness. Another thing I've noticed in the conversations, Arrow is a show couples watch. I get the "my (significant other) wants me to wait for her before I watch" a lot. 

• Love 11
27 minutes ago, hogwash said:

That Riverdale teaser does not look promising. Is that teacher really Ms. Grundy? I do not need that image in my head! 

I'm looking forward to Frequency too. I loved the movie. 

The teacher is Ms. Grudy? I didn't catch that. That's gross even though they made her young and hot in this version. I will not be able to get the old Ms. Grudy from the comics out of my head. 

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Ever since I've added both Green Arrow and Felicity Funkos to my desk, I've had people stop by and let me know they enjoy Arrow and love Olicity and Felicity. These are colleagues I wouldn't have pegged as Arrow watchers at all. They don't follow the show on social media but they get really excited when they find other fans. They don't pick apart the plots like we do on this board. They watch, and then they look forward to next week. One thing that sort of surprised me is how the male fans, almost all of them, enjoyed domestic Olicity and how much they don't like them being apart. The female fans are more divided, they're OK with them being not together as long as there's no third party and there's flirtiness. Another thing I've noticed in the conversations, Arrow is a show couples watch. I get the "my (significant other) wants me to wait for her before I watch" a lot. 

LOL My dad quit watching Arrow because he was so mad that Oliver lied to Felicity. He doesn't like Oliver anymore.

• Love 9
(edited)
13 minutes ago, Chaser said:

LOL My dad quit watching Arrow because he was so mad that Oliver lied to Felicity. He doesn't like Oliver anymore.

My friend's husband and his buddies are huge comic fans, in fact a couple of them own a Comic Book store. They love Felicity, during Wednesday night's airing she got a text during Arrow from the hubs because the crew (they watch Arrow together at the store every Week) were pissed that Oliver didn't hug Felicity back. LOL

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 11

Ugh... that Riverdale trailer has completely turned me off that show. I was planning to check it out before, but now, no way.

Add me to the Frequency train.  The movie with Jim Caviezel was great.

• Love 1

Riverdale trailer is really generic. 

I don't give a damn about Olicity, but I have two male friends who love Felicity (and probably like Olicity, I'm not sure). They are more casual viewers though, and at least one of them has recently given up on Arrow, he prefers The Flash.

I was going through this TV Line gallery about Charmed's 10th (since it went off the air) anniversary and thought this particular information was interesting, given the recent conversations on this board about how Arrow is (or isn't) promoted by the network. Show runners really don't seem to have much of a say (or no say at all). Arrow wants to draw more men, rather than women so in promos we get more action stuff.  

MIXED MESSAGES

But even with a firm identity in place, Charmed was "constantly" misrepresented, Kern notes: "The joke was they would always promote the show as T-ts and Witches. Like, what are you doing? You're focusing on the wrong thing! Of course the actors are beautiful and the sexual themes are part of the show, but that's not the focus, and it shouldn't be. Networks are always looking for ways to make a show stand out, and Buffy had carved out its place as the quirky, sophisticated show. The network definitely liked Buffy better, although we stayed on the air longer. I don't think the network ever gave Charmed the credit it was due."

• Love 1

and Buffy had carved out its place as the quirky, sophisticated show. The network definitely liked Buffy better, although we stayed on the air longer. I don't think the network ever gave Charmed the credit it was due."

Yeah, I'm sorry, fans of Charmed, but Buffy WAS better. Like, it's not even a fair competition. The network was right, for all the problems in later seasons of BtVS, it was a seminal show. Charmed was the TV equivalent of fast food.

• Love 3
(edited)

I loved early Charmed, and they really found something special in the chemistry with those original three actresses.* Particularly Combs and Doherty because their off screen friendship really showed on screen. After Doherty left though they moved away from the more grounded aspects of the show and the relationship between the sisters became more strained, which made sense on paper with Prue dead and Piper's initial reluctance to accept Prue's death and seeing her adjust to her new sister was well done.

In later seasons they barely felt like sisters at times, but the show was trying to convince the audience they were still super close and...anyway. If Kern didn't want Charmed to be known as the trashy show with the witches in skimpy outfits they should not have done so many episodes where someone, usually Phoebe, would be turned into a sexy banshee or randomly dressed in skin-tight leather or naked on a horse. I mean there were always elements of that, and even some of the regular outfits the girls wore were hilariously inappropriate, but after a while it was just stupid.

*And it has to be said that Rose McGowan really did slot in nicely considering her character was not initially planned. She had a nice chemistry with the other women on the show even if she happened to come on board when the show was about to take a dive creatively.

Edited by manbearpig
8 minutes ago, FurryFury said:

I am more interested in why some posts have a frame and some don't. For instance, Morrigan's post with the question has a frame, while other posts on this page don't.

Posts with the frame on them are the first posts that you haven't read in the thread. For example, your post had a frame on it because everything before your post, I've read.  Does that sort of make sense?

• Love 4