Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Man, that actress has played a prostitute on SPN twice and now on iZombie.  I wonder if she'll turn out to be a hooker on Arrow too. LOL

Not that there is anything wrong with playing a hooker!

Edited by catrox14

I'm more curious about why she keeps getting roles as Eastern European characters when she's so bad at the accent.

I read somewhere that her parents are Romanians who immigrated to Canada, so she should be familiar with the accent... she's just really bad at it.

Lili Reinhart (age 19) and Cole Sprouse (age 23) have been cast as Betty and Jughead, respectively...

Riverdale’ Archie Comics CW Pilot Casts Its Betty Cooper & Jughead Jones
by Nellie Andreeva • February 9, 2016 12:03pm
http://deadline.com/2016/02/riverdale-betty-cooper-lili-reinhart-jughead-jones-cole-sprouse-archie-comics-the-cw-pilot-1201699204/

Reinhart’s Betty Cooper is sweet, studious, eager-to-please and wholesome with a huge crush on her longtime best friend, Archie. Tired of being the perfect daughter, student, sister, etc., she turns to her new friend, Veronica, for life advice — much to the consternation of her emotionally brittle mother.

Sprouse’s Jughead Jones is a heartthrob with a philosophical bent and former best friend of Archie Andrews. He is still smarting from the rift that took place between the two.

lili-reinhart-betty-cooper.jpg?w=446&h=2

cole-sprouse-jughead-jones.jpg?w=372&h=2

• Love 1

I read somewhere that her parents are Romanians who immigrated to Canada, so she should be familiar with the accent... she's just really bad at it.

I can do an English accent, a Scottish accent, my Southern Belle is a thing of beauty and I can even manage a French accent but the one accent I absolutely cannot do is the one my parents speak.  It sounds so normal to me that I don't notice where the accent is.

• Love 2

So....since I brought up Legend of the Seeker in another thread...

It's been a couple of years since I watched it on Netflix (I don't think they have it anymore, at least not for streaming). I loved Kahlen and Cara, but...did anyone else find the whole "confession" thing to be creepy and actually kind of horrifying when you started getting down into the implications of it?

If they are both produced by ABC studios, it might work out. Plus Agent Carter is shorter seasons, so there's that. But it doesn't look great for Agent Carter. Either way, glad she booked a new project, that new show looks good.

Edited by kismet

So tonight on Suits there was a scene and a line from a character that made me want to fist pump.

Long story short, crappy stuff is happing and worlds are falling apart blah, blah, blah so Mike goes to check on how his fiancé Rachel is doing, well actually he wanted her to do something but noticed she was upset.  She tells him about where she had been and who she'd talked to earlier and he gets upset that she's obviously let the enemy get in her head, she says that’s not true, she was just faced with some hard truths but she is handling it.

Mike says you are not handling it, you are crying. 

(This next part is what I liked)

Rachel says “No, I am releasing my emotions so that I can persevere instead of denying them and losing my mind,” since she was busy and didn’t have time for that today.  Then she tells him that is why she was by herself working so that she could “deal with my shit,” and then told Mike she would like to be alone so she could do just that.  

FINALLY for once someone on TV acknowledges that crying IS part of dealing with terrible things, and not the ultimate proof of falling apart.

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 9

Rachel says “No, I am releasing my emotions so that I can persevere instead of denying them and losing my mind,” since she was busy and didn’t have time for that today.  Then she tells him that is why she was by herself working so that she could “deal with my shit,” and then told Mike she would like to be alone so she could do just that.  

FINALLY for once someone on TV acknowledges that crying IS part of dealing with terrible things, and not the ultimate proof of falling apart.

As Baymax said, "It is alright to cry." and "Crying is a natural response to pain."

Edited by Jediknight
  • Love 4

Saw Deadpool this afternoon. No spoilers just --

1. Smartest script I've seen in a really really REALLY long time. And it's hilarious in all the right ways.

2. I'm probably not ever watching it again because I cannot stomach this kind of gore-y violence on the regular.

3. Stay for the entire credits, there's a bonus scene.

• Love 1

And yet, Mike still goes off to be her white knight and save her.

Still, it was a nice moment.

And yet, Mike still goes off to be her white knight and save her.

Still, it was a nice moment.

Yeah, it would have reinforced the moment a lot better had Rachel then been allowed to be a part of the solution but I was ok with it since at least when we saw her next she was put together and not obsessing with the crap going on and when the new threats came in she knew exactly where and why they were coming and called them on it which was more than I would have hoped for in the past.  Baby steps.

I've noticed some things regarding cons watching the footage from the ones with Arrow acctors, but I think that probably applies for all of them. Is there an age limit? Because there were some really, really small kids and even babies at DCC yesterday. And wow, does one need to be comfortable with strange people being in their personal space. I think it was during the Secaucus HVFF where I noticed a lady reaching over to touch Barrowman's arm while he was signing an autograph. Now, I don't mean to imply that she was malevolent or that JB minded. I don't think either is true. But boy howdy, did my eyebrows go up at that because that is so not something I would do. Really, there's a lot of touching and hugging during those photo ops at the very least. I suppose it's all part of the con culture.

• Love 1

I am leaving 85 degree Los Angeles weather for -1 degree NYC weather because my job hates me. I've done this before, but if there's anywhere I need to go or places I need to eat, please let me know!

If it's any consolation it'll be back in the low 50's Tuesday and Wednesday

Oh, yes, pity must be given. 

Let's be honest, I've visited the south and seen them break out the  parkas (complete with faux fur hoods) the moment the temperature dips below 50F.

;)

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2

Oh when the season opened Becket caught on to a conspiracy that was dangerous and for some absurd lack of logical thinking decided the best way to handle it was tell Castle she needed time away from their marriage.  So basically the first half of the season was Castle confused and thinking Kate might be leaving him or something and all because she decided that keeping him away would keep him safer even though not telling him what she was doing was stupid and out of character and pointless anyway.  Ratings just tanked.  Even my mother the most clueless television viewer thought it was contrived stupidity that made everyone look bad. 

Before the hiatus they lickety split waved a magic wand and removed the stupid secrets between them but they couldn't just reset the reason why she insisted they be apart so now they are sneaking around and pretending to be split up.  It's better but like I said, the ratings just spiraled and I would be surprised if they got renewed. 

• Love 1

No, I don't think so. (And I just went looking to see if there was anything out there to confirm this.  Just some old debunked rumors as far as I could tell)   I think it was just a way to give her more time off and at the same time the new show runner (yeah, those are dangerous) sincerely thought they'd figured out a way to return to the will they/ won't they tease.  It did not work. 

• Love 1

Oh, yes, pity must be given. 

Let's be honest, I've visited the south and seen them break out the  parkas (complete with faux fur hoods) the moment the temperature dips below 50F.

;)

Maybe they're just really big fans of Captain Cold.

Edited by Jediknight
  • Love 2

No, I don't think so. (And I just went looking to see if there was anything out there to confirm this. Just some old debunked rumors as far as I could tell) I think it was just a way to give her more time off and at the same time the new show runner (yeah, those are dangerous) sincerely thought they'd figured out a way to return to the will they/ won't they tease. It did not work.

Agree it did not work. When did she have a baby? How did they hide that last season? Or more accurately perhaps how did I miss it? That was some quality filming bump hiding tricks.

There were so many other organic ways to keep them apart to give her extended time off. The secrets between them was just dumb. I do like when they let her do more undercover/quasi-spy stuff. So I enjoy that they tried that. But other than that the whole thing failed. Now its just getting more ridiculous when they keep it secret from other people.

Hopefully it can turn around. The ratings slide is pretty steep. That being said the show was running low on juice. This was just the wrong juice carton to fill the tank with.

Edited by kismet

It's funny you mentioned baby, because in the winter finale they showed one of the shows steamiest sex scenes (for network tv) to date and some of the articles afterwards were did Castle just make a baby? I thought the leap was a big one, but would make sense if actress pregnant or planning on pregnancy irl. It's also a classic show is faltering in ratings throw in a baby!

• Love 1

This is the first I've heard of any baby rumors. What I keep hearing are the persistent rumors that Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic can't stand each other, and that this storyline was cooked up as a way to keep them apart more. Not saying it's true - it just seems to be something that keeps being repeated.

• Love 1
Does anyone else wonder if Robbie Amell and the red head are being used as a soft pilot for a new  X-files?

Lauren Ambrose (best known for "Six Feet Under"). As far as I know, Robbie and Lauren are only going to be in one episode. I've been steering clear of spoilers for the whole revival so I don't know if they're just doing an episode with their "younger versions" to show how far Mulder and Scully have come. But I wouldn't be surprised if this actually is an attempt for a soft pilot, just in case DD and GA are too busy or can't/don't want to continue on with the show, especially with the huge numbers The X-Files is pulling for FOX. I don't really think it'll be as successful, though, if they do try to continue TXF without DD/GA.

I'm not sure whether I'd watch a Robbie/Lauren-led X-Files because Mulder and Scully are the show for me. Without them, TXF is just a procedural about alien conspiracies (as convolutedly written by Chris Carter) and I'm not too interested in that.

Edited by SleepDeprived
  • Love 6

He's cute, but Robbie Amell is no David Duchovny. At least not yet.

Re Castle:  Andrew Marlowe left to develop new shows and Castle got two new show-runners who said they wanted to go back to the will they/won't they sexual tension of the early seasons because it was so much fun.  (I thought it was fun for 3 seasons and then I checked out.)  So they thought up this plot whereby Beckett leaves Castle to protect him from the Big Bad (sounding familiar?) but she still loved him and meanwhile Castle did all the "cute" things he did early in the show to get Beckett to like him. It was a massive fail because a mid-forties Castle/Nathan Fillion trying to get back his wife with schoolboy tricks was not a crowd-pleaser at all.  Also, less Castle and Beckett meant more of a new Mary Sue character, Hayley, that they created and and ever more Mary Sue-er Alexis whose hacking skills now rival Felicity's.  Just about everyone hated it.

With falling ratings and bitter comments (Matt Mitovich had to keep telling people on TV line to just chill), Castle and Beckett got together before the mid-season finale, probably because the EPs were afraid their audience wouldn't be back after the hiatus. But they're still pretending to be split up and the pretend fights and public face-slaps isn't much of an improvement. 

I think it ranks up there with the St. Elsewhere snowglobe and HIMYM ending as a cautionary lesson to show-runners. 

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 7

Every time you guys mention Castle it seems to have hit a new low in awful storytelling. Makes me glad that I never bothered to check it out, to be honest.

I haven't seen the earlier seasons of Mom but I have been tuning in this year and I quite like the show. Allison Janney is off course great and it was pretty nice seeing her with Ellen Burstyn as her mother in the season premiere, which also featured June Squibb! They handle the dramatic stuff well, particularly for a Chuck Lorre show. We're a few episodes behind here in the UK but I'll be looking out for the earlier seasons too.

I wondered about a soft pilot especially because Chris Carter apparently wanted to reboot the X-Files rather than revive it. Personally X-Files are Mulder/Scully, I have no interest in another pair of Agents.

I feel the same about 24, I need Keifer Sutherland and Jack Bower to keep my interest

• Love 2

When we watched the preview last week, a backdoor pilot was what we got out of it. It was pretty out there and I don't think there was any chemistry between Amell and Ambrose.

I see Janet Kidder was evil on this show just like she is on Arrow!

Edited by BunsenBurner

Every time you guys mention Castle it seems to have hit a new low in awful storytelling. Makes me glad that I never bothered to check it out, to be honest.

I'd hate to leave that impression.  I've enjoyed the show more consistently than most shows I've ever watch, it's just that you have to be open to the silly and some dumb but not IMO nearly as painful ship stalls as anything offered on Arrow. 

I'm at the end of the episode and I don't even know what I watched.

Only X-Files can leave me scratching my head and happy about it.  I have to say I've really loved the reboot.  It's about 60 percent DD and GA's crazy chemistry (I swear it's even better and more potent) and 40 percent just crazy out there storylines.  There was a point where Mulder was line dancing to Achey Breaky Heart and suddenly I was so sad that of all the times characters on Arrow got hit with Vertigo, none of them segued into doing the Pulp Fiction dance surrounded by former friends and admirers. 

When we watched the preview last week, a backdoor pilot was what we got out of it. It was pretty out there and I don't think there was any chemistry between Amell and Ambrose.

And at least Ambrose was in the previews for the finale. (Robbie I lose in the crowd too easily, can't remember if he was there or not)  It felt like a backdoor pilot but I wonder if they were set up more as stand ins for the next episode.  Use them to torture instead?  Spec based on nothing.  I don't think any replacements would work but I'd be fine if they got back the originals and brought in a junior team to run around and chase the monsters (I mean, Mulder refuses to do stairs anymore, there are practicalities to consider, lol.)