Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

3 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

He plays a major role in book 5 by swallowing one of the Avada Kedavras that Voldemort casts during his face off with Dumbledore at the Ministry.

That's better than the go-to moment at the end of book 6 with Fawkes that I was remembering 😥

I don't want to be a part of any love triangle, but I do love watching an epic romance (though, hopefully, not one that ends in tragedy!)...

Which Iconic Movie Love Triangle Would You Be Part Of?
Nora Dominick  February 4, 2020
https://www.buzzfeed.com/noradominick/which-movie-love-triangle-would-you-be-in

You got: Rose, Jack, and Cal from Titanic
You would find yourself in the Titanic love triangle. You're someone who loves epic romances. Whether it includes running through the rain for someone or realizing the right before has been right there all along, you're a sucker for an amazing love story.

Edited by tv echo
6 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

All good guys! He remembered Fawkes and is fine with it. He thought there was another Phoenix!

Wooot I've got Keanu in my love triangle!!!! Hubs is doing the quiz trying to get Keanu too 😂

1723092640_Screenshot_20200206-1018102.thumb.png.8302871e88a822eea4359e97d006ad0b.png

I got this too.

I loathe romantic triangles. But I love quizzes.

You got: Andie, Duckie, and Blaine from Pretty in Pink

You would find yourself in the Pretty in Pink love triangle. You're looking for someone who will surprise you in all the best ways. You're attracted to people who are both caring and confident.

Worst series ending ever:  St. Elsewhere. Six seasons, 132 episodes, and in the end it's all just a made up world in the mind of an autistic child. Blech.

(Had some great young actors though: Denzel Washington, Howie Mandell, Mark Harmon, David Morse, Stephen Furst, Ed Begley Jr., Bruce Greenwood, Eric Laneuville, Alfre Woodard, and even Betty White showed up)

• Useful 1

This is interesting - both their diagnosis and remedy seem wrong to me (the trailers all clearly focused on Harley Quinn and, quite frankly, that's what turned me off the movie)...
https://ew.com/movies/2020/02/10/birds-of-prey-title-change-disappointing-box-office/

Birds of Prey‘s first weekend wasn’t exactly Fantabulous at the box office. The DC film opened below expectations with just $33 million domestically, having been projected to earn $50-55 million in its opening weekend. There are a few possible reasons for this: Perhaps the film’s R rating shut out younger viewers, or maybe everyone just wanted to stay home and watch the Oscars this past weekend (okay, that definitely wasn’t it).

But it seems distributor Warner Bros. has a theory of its own: Potential viewers must not be aware that Birds of Prey focuses on Margot Robbie‘s Harley Quinn. Well, the studio has now taken steps to make that loud and clear…or rather, louder and clearer. Though the film’s official title is Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn), take a look at the listings for your local multiplex and you’ll see something slightly different: Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey. AMC, Regal, and Cinemark‘s websites all currently display this title for the film.

While it’s not confirmed that the movie’s underwhelming box office numbers motivated this change, it’s safe to assume they had something to do with it, as it’s rare for a film’s listed title to change post-release. (Representatives for Warner Bros. did not immediately respond to EW’s request for comment.) ....

Edited by tv echo

I swear the ads I saw prior to the movie coming out this last Friday were already referring to it as Harley Quinn and the Birds of Prey. Not that the printed title in the trailer had changed

Either way, for certain the trailers left no doubt this was Harley's movie   

• Useful 1

How many times have you guys moved in your life?

I haven't moved for 15 years! I am having a meltdown and wondering what I've got myself into!!! I should have stayed in my hovel and lived in peace!

We have two weeks to pack! We can do this right?

Then we have to get the old house ready to rent or sell. I have been avoiding renovations for years and we bought a new house that didn't need renovations. Now I still have to deal with this dump!

I just want to hide and write fanfic! Something cute and smoochy than does not involve renovations! 😫😫😫

• Love 1

FYI...

UCLA Hollywood Diversity Report Finds Glaring Absence Of Women And People Of Color In Top Studio Positions
By Dino-Ray Ramo    February 6, 2020
https://deadline.com/2020/02/ucla-hollywood-diversity-report-film-inclusion-representation-1202852919/

As opposed to its 2017 study, this year’s report will solely examine film. The TV study will be released this spring. Overall, the top films of 2018 and 2019 show that that there is an increase in acting jobs for people of color and women in film. However, when you turn the camera behind the scenes, the report finds there is a large underrepresentation of minorities in jobs as writers, directors and executives. That said, the seventh annual report tells the “story of two Hollywoods” as Hollywood becomes more and more aware that diversity sells.
“As of 2019, both women and minorities are within striking distance of proportionate representation when it comes to lead roles and total cast,” said Darnell Hunt, dean of the UCLA College division of social sciences and the report’s co-author. “But behind the scenes, it’s a very different story. That begs the question — are we actually seeing systematic change, or is Hollywood just appealing to diverse audiences through casting, but without fundamentally altering the way studios do business behind the camera?
You can read the full UCLA Hollywood Diversity Report here.

Edited by tv echo
On 2/14/2020 at 7:53 AM, Mellowyellow said:

How many times have you guys moved in your life?

I haven't moved for 15 years! I am having a meltdown and wondering what I've got myself into!!! I should have stayed in my hovel and lived in peace!

We have two weeks to pack! We can do this right?

Then we have to get the old house ready to rent or sell. I have been avoiding renovations for years and we bought a new house that didn't need renovations. Now I still have to deal with this dump!

I just want to hide and write fanfic! Something cute and smoochy than does not involve renovations! 😫😫😫

Moving is hard and the longer you have lived there means that much more stuff to move (this is a good time to decide what NOT to move as well -- the throw away pile and the give away pile).  You have great organizational skills so you will shine here I'm sure!  

And lol, renovations is just as stressful.  But I think you will find not living there will make it SOOOO much easier.  Both because you won't have the stress with having to live through the mess of renovations and because you won't have the same emotional attachments so you can be more practical about it.  

You might find it a lot easier to find time to read smoochy fanfic than write it in the next few weeks.  Good thing there is lots to choose from.  😄

• Love 3

I've really only moved twice that I remember. I HATE moving.

If you're strong, sort through your stuff before you move and get rid of what you don't want. If you're overwhelmed or unhappy about moving (like me), hire people to help you pack and you can cull as you unpack.  Use the packing time to plan your fanfic.

The renovations should be easy 1. because you won't be living there and 2. because you don't really care what they look like at the end since you won't be living there so you don't have to make things perfect.

Good luck!

• Love 1

I came across this article and just had to share it with you (warning: spoilers, if you haven't seen the movies)...

15 Side-By-Sides That Show Iconic Movie Scenes Vs. The Original Script
Nora Dominick   February 17, 2020
https://www.buzzfeed.com/noradominick/movie-scenes-on-screen-vs-script 

5. In The Princess Bride, when Inigo finally attacked Count Rugen and avenged his father.
sub-buzz-1530-1581529014-11.jpg?crop=300

sub-buzz-1658-1581534884-3.jpg?crop=3000

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

I've kind of had this song on repeat for the last few days. Very addictive. But then I started laughing while listening to it tonight, when the opening lyrics hit me as perfect for the Ivy Town scene. Plus, I can just hear Felicity calling Oliver a five course meal. 

And really, licking your areas works any which way. 

I really loved "Birds of Prey" - I didn't want to see it; I never saw "Suicide Squad" and this coming after Arrow ending - I was canaried out.  I got annoyed with all the dudes saying it wasn't "sexy enough" or some such nonsense, and decided I needed to support it.  I ended up loving it.  Huntress was hilarious, and I even liked Dinah!  Soundtrack is amazing, my husband ended up buying it after we saw it and is still listening to it.

• Love 1

Hmm - could be good or bad, depending...

New Show Alert: 'Kung Fu' Gets The Green Light From The CW
By Lauren Capps   February 23, 2020
https://theblast.com/114969/new-show-alert-kung-fu-gets-the-green-light-from-the-cw

The CW, a highly popular television broadcaster known for their successful DC shows such as Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl (attained from CBS), and of course their non-superhero shows such as Supernatural, *iZombie,* and The Vampire Diaries, will be adding more to their 2020 lineup, with this time a series to be named Kung Fu. What is it about? Is it interesting enough to watch? We won't know for sure until it releases, but in the meantime, let's find out and see what this show has to offer.
The series will follow a young woman, apparently named Nicky (still to be cast), who is looking for a change of pace. She decides to drop out of college, and go on a long journey instead, eventually coming to her hometown in China, but does not expect the unwelcoming sight before her. Instead of the peaceful village she remembers, the city is corrupted and full of crime. Similar to Oliver Queen from Arrow, she decides to use her kung fu to protect the city she loves, while searching for the monster who killed her mentor. Already this seems interesting, don't you think?

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 2

Pssst! It's me! Anyone stockpiling for the virus?

Everyone around me is buying rice and beans it's making me nervous! I wonder if it's just the people in my age group! I did order three extra bottles of medication for my dog (enough to last a year now) but haven't started stocking up on food yet.

On the bright side I was very happy to see Twitter fight about SA and not stockpiling food because if Twitter stops fighting about stuff we are all doomed! 

So are you preparing for the apocalypse? 

Talk about being "prepared" has now made it to the local nightly news.  I'm already in the boondocks and tend to shop in bulk so I'm as prepared as I'd want to be but I've talked to a few people that are looking to buy masks and such.  One friend in Philadelphia tried to buy them at a local pharmacy but they were long sold out. 

I think it's never a bad idea to have some supplies on hand but giving into paranoia to any excessive degree is not where I want to go.   

• Love 4

I've never embraced the mask thing. I'm eating what you call Jello for gelatine and having lots of fruit and veg. I hope if I catch it, I'll fight it!

Also lots of bone broth.

Would like to finish my stories before the apocalypse too!

I might go to Costco after I move and buy up lots of wagyu beef. If I'm going to go, I'll go out eating yummy food!

I just heard from a friend on her return from Costco after stocking up on supplies to bunker down with in case the virus comes to her city (no one there has it yet) because she heard that one in two people will get it before it's over, and now I'm terrified. I'm in the high risk group both to catch it and who is most likely to be very sick with it.

I wish she hadn't told me all that. There's not much that I can do to stop it other than keeping my hands clean,

I’ve just been washing my hands more frequently and trying not to touch my face (which I do a lot apparently!). I also got myself a little food and supply stockpile in case I do get sick so I don’t have to go out and expose more people to it because I’m generally really bad at keeping more than a day or two of food around since I live across from a grocery store on one side and a market on the other. 

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Useful 1

I haven't stockpiled on anything beacuse I don't really think I'm high risk and a lot of this is wide spread paranoia IMO. Yes, people with weakened immune systems should definitely take precautions, but I'm not one of them. I've seen pharmacies have posted signs that they're out of masks even though according to medical professionals they have no effect if a healthy person wears them, only someone who's infected. I've also noticed shelves emptied of anti-bacterial hand gels. 

• Love 2

I traveled to Texas to stay with a childhood friend for a few days. The night before she told me her boyfriend's sister was one of the nurses who took care of the first patient who tested positive in CA and he'd just shared a room with her. The sister is currently quarantined in Houston for the past week.

I opted to head to Austin instead, lol, but I did have lunch with her. As she pointed out, the sister who had direct contact with a positive patient got on a plane 2 weeks ago and flew to Alabama, spent time with 40 some people at a funeral, and then she and those 40 people got on planes and traveled all over. Also, they only tested the nurse 2 days ago and the results won't be back in for a week.

It's already out there. I'm taking normal precautions. Washing my hands thoroughly, taking Emergen-C, and I have antibacterial gel handy, but I'm not overly worried. (Well, I am worried enough not to go to my friend's house, but that's mostly because I hate being sick whether it's the cold, flu, or Covid-19, and if I can avoid it, I will, and I already had a weeklong something back in November. No thank you to a repeat of that.)

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Went to the shops this morning to stock up for the new house because I'm moving and everything is in total chaos.

The popular brand of toilet paper has run out. Plain flour has run out but only the cheap brand. Plenty of self raising and expensive flour left.

I feel like people are only half heartedly panic buying but it's definitely there.

All moved!!! So tired! Never moving again!

Haha hubs thinks our next adventure should be building a house together. 

I did not realize how traumatic it is to move as a full grown adult. Omg the packing! And I'm not even the main packer because I'm terrible at it. I bought the house, hubby manages the packing.

It's past midnight and this is how I feel:

lfIXwymF.jpg_medium.thumb.jpg.21128c0d9934ad6e9557b419b733a681.jpg

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
(edited)

This is interesting...

20 Stars Who Almost Played Iconic TV Characters
BY JOAL RYAN     MAR 5, 2020 
https://www.tvguide.com/galleries/stars-who-almost-played-iconic-tv-characters/

https://www.tvguide.com/galleries/stars-who-almost-played-iconic-tv-characters/3/

Jensen Ackles ... as Clark Kent (Smallville)?!
In 2001, as Jensen Ackles told Smallville: The Comic, casting for Smallville's lead "came down to Tom and me." Tom, of course, is Tom Welling, who won the role of Clark Kent. In 2004, Ackles finally joined the Smallville cast as Clark's romantic rival, Jason Teague. In 2005, he was cast as one of the Winchester brothers in Supernatural -- and the rest is TV history.

https://www.tvguide.com/galleries/stars-who-almost-played-iconic-tv-characters/17/

Chris Pratt ... as Chuck Bartowski (Chuck)?!
In 2006, producer Josh Schwartz hired Chris Pratt for the final season of Fox's The O.C. A year later, Schwartz was working on a new spy comedy for NBC, and Pratt was "the first guy I wanted to play" the title character. But Pratt, Schwartz said, was "destined to guard the galaxy" (after a stint on NBC's Parks and Recreation, natch). Zachary Levi ended up starring as Chuck on, well, Chuck.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Pssst

Do you guys have toilet paper?

We still can't find any. Apparently if you line up at certain times you can get it but we're not desperate yet.

What about pasta and oil?

Trying to determine if only Australia is insane. My friend in the UK has no toilet paper either.

Not just AUS or the UK. Toilet paper shelves are looking pretty bare here in the US. When we need to restock we are hitting up the office supply stores instead of the normal stores. 

I went to Wegmans today and the whole bean aisle was decimated. Canned beans, dried beans. Everything else was mostly okay, but no beans, like some people got it in their heads that they could toot away coronavirus. 

TP is scarce too - I guess maybe the bean people are stocking up. 

• LOL 4

I went shopping today and there was pretty much everything in my local supermarket. I've heard that the big box stores like Costco have bare shelves though.

We're told to have enough stuff to be able to self-quarantine for two weeks.  A number of people who have come in contact with someone who tested positive already have.  My refugee sponsorship group was supposed to have a fundraiser on April 3rd but tonight we had a meeting and opted to postpone it to September.

My vet, who is wonderful, has made arrangements to have e-appointments for people and their pets who are self-quarantined and to have medicine and food dropped off to people in quarantine.

• Love 1

So far so good, but I expect it's going to get worse. There are cases cropping up, but the government seems terribly lax in taking action. A region bordering Italy, where a lot of people commute to work in Italy on a daily or weekly level, appealed to shut down schools because of concern. They got a big, fat no.

17 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Pssst

Do you guys have toilet paper?

We still can't find any. Apparently if you line up at certain times you can get it but we're not desperate yet.

What about pasta and oil?

Trying to determine if only Australia is insane. My friend in the UK has no toilet paper either.

Nashville’s a bit different than everywhere else right now. We’re running low/empty on certain items but a lot of that is in response to the tornadoes from last week. People poured into stores to get food, clothing, toiletries, etc, for the displaced so that added to the inventory issues. Target and Kroger started limitation policies on certain items so hopefully that will allow more people to get what they need when the inventory comes back. 

Crazy Aussies are now buying freezers!!!

I was just telling hubby the other day that I intend to eat all my yummy food while everyone lives off pasta and rice.

But now they're going to catch onto the meat!!!

It's so weird to think that a few years ago we were lamenting over broken up S5 Olicity. Now we can't get toilet paper!!!

I've been putting off shopping for as long as possible, but finally had to go to the neighborhood grocery store tonight for perishables. Unsurprisingly, all shelves of dry goods (pasta, flour, beans, rice) were empty. But in my search for condensed milk, I noticed that most of the pancake/maple syrup was gone too. Are people going to breakfast their way through the pandemic?

2 hours ago, lemotomato said:

I've been putting off shopping for as long as possible, but finally had to go to the neighborhood grocery store tonight for perishables. Unsurprisingly, all shelves of dry goods (pasta, flour, beans, rice) were empty. But in my search for condensed milk, I noticed that most of the pancake/maple syrup was gone too. Are people going to breakfast their way through the pandemic?

Did you get your condensed milk?

I normally have 6 cans at home on any given day so I'm very sensitive when I shop for it now. Looks like I'm hoarding but I just use a lot of condensed milk!

I wonder if people are trying to give themselves a treat during potential lock down. I baked 6 sponge cakes last night. I also have frozen cream. I plan to make calamansi curd next week so if we get locked down I'll eat cream cake with curd. Something to look forward to besides beans and pasta which I refuse to eat!

I've been seeing articles about hysterical shoppers with trollies full of goods. I was out in the city (Sydney CBD) today and it wasn't very exciting. Plenty of food, everyone buying bits and pieces. I did line up for a packet of toilet paper but that was it.

Restaurants have definitely reduced in numbers though. My normal yum Cha restaurant has had to close upstairs and reduce their capacity by half.

I'm really interested in what's happening in different places so if anyone wants to report in this thread please do!!! And tell me which city you're in if you can!

I did my normal weekly grocery shopping this morning and my store (which is a smaller one off of a back street kind of hidden away) had everything but toilet paper and chicken. I didn't have to wait in line or anything, but there were a TON of people out and about at that our (around 7AM), and all the other stores I passed were PACKED.

When I went to Target Thursday night, all the chilled juices were gone but not the bottled juices. Most liquid cough meds gone but plenty of pills. Weirdly to me, the tampons/pads aisle was sparse too. Of course the toilet paper aisle was empty as well as the soup and rice. I picked up a few snacks since I've been stress eating. I was laughing at the difference in the checkout area between the people with carts full of apocalypse supplies and the girl with a single jar of salsa. 

My job has most of our offices across the US working from home for at least 2 weeks starting Monday. It's going to be an interesting few weeks how this shapes up. I really hope it does slow the spread of infection and keeps those sick at home, but I'm also cognizant of how this is going to hurt a lot of people economically. 

4 hours ago, apinknightmare said:

I did my normal weekly grocery shopping this morning and my store (which is a smaller one off of a back street kind of hidden away) had everything but toilet paper and chicken. I didn't have to wait in line or anything, but there were a TON of people out and about at that our (around 7AM), and all the other stores I passed were PACKED.

1 hour ago, calliope1975 said:

When I went to Target Thursday night, all the chilled juices were gone but not the bottled juices. Most liquid cough meds gone but plenty of pills. Weirdly to me, the tampons/pads aisle was sparse too. Of course the toilet paper aisle was empty as well as the soup and rice. I picked up a few snacks since I've been stress eating. I was laughing at the difference in the checkout area between the people with carts full of apocalypse supplies and the girl with a single jar of salsa. 

My job has most of our offices across the US working from home for at least 2 weeks starting Monday. It's going to be an interesting few weeks how this shapes up. I really hope it does slow the spread of infection and keeps those sick at home, but I'm also cognizant of how this is going to hurt a lot of people economically. 

10511D65-C3ED-4E6F-AE67-016374327B72.jpeg

• LOL 6

So, update, the schools in Croatia are closed down. The region neighboring Italy starting Friday, the rest of the country as of Monday. The staff is still expected to show up, though they are dialing it back and saying it’s until the proper channels for online classes are set up. I’ve already told the principal at one of the schools I work at that I’m planning on working from home and not mingling at school for no reason but to enable virus spreading.

• Love 1

Toilet paper, hand sanitizer and pasta are off the shelves but most other things are still there.  I'm glad that I liked canned tomatoes.

The governments are taking it very seriously here. Schools, public buildings (like museums, swimming pools etc are closed for 3 weeks and then will be re-evaluated, which makes it hard to entertain kids for 3 weeks when it's still below freezing outside. Colleges are going on-line. March breaks trips are cancelled and anyone returning to the country from abroad is asked to self-quarantine for 2 weeks.  I've had three functions I was planning to attend cancelled.

The prime minster is leading by example; his wife returned from the UK and tested positive for Covid 19. The family is self-quarantined, she in a different part of the house from her husband and kids.

This has some very good, practical information on the virus:

https://stanfordhealthcare.org/stanford-health-care-now/2020/novel-coronavirus.html

• Love 1

@statsgirl haven't used pasta sauce for 15 years! 

We use tinned tomatoes to make our sauces and they seem to be plentiful.

I went out and bought a heap of meat today but now I'm feeling incredibly foolish about it.

They haven't closed schools here. Big meeting but they decided not to. 

On 3/13/2020 at 11:57 PM, Mellowyellow said:

Did you get your condensed milk?

I did not. But today I found it at an Asian grocery store. Also stocked up on  snacks, which earned me a side-eye from the cashier, who probably thought I was being silly, standing in line for 45 minutes for chips. My excuse is that I don't want to have to go to the store any more than I need to, since I'll be working from home for the next month, and the city declared that we need to shelter-in-place for 3 weeks, 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 3/15/2020 at 1:54 AM, Mellowyellow said:

@statsgirl haven't used pasta sauce for 15 years! 

We use tinned tomatoes to make our sauces and they seem to be plentiful.

I went out and bought a heap of meat today but now I'm feeling incredibly foolish about it.

I just heard that Australia is in it for six months so you'll probably need that meat.

I make my own spaghetti sauce too, it's really easy and without the chemicals, The problem is that here the spaghetti sauces come in glass jars while tomatoes only come in tins.  Because of the acidity in tomatoes, they can cause leeching from the tins and that's not a good thing.

I'm going to do a major shopping tomorrow and try to hunker down for the next two or three weeks. Luckily I can work from home (thank you, internet!)

• Love 1

For something lighter - though my result evoked a 'huh?' response from me...

This Marvel Cinematic Universe Alphabet Quiz Will Reveal Which Underrated Character You Are
Nora Dominick   March 20, 2020
https://www.buzzfeed.com/noradominick/this-marvel-az-quiz-will-reveal-which

You got: Happy Hogan
Your personality matches Happy! You're charismatic, honest, and generous. Like Happy, you're extremely loyal and you'll do anything for your friends and family. You're someone who often puts the needs of others above your own. Your favorite thing in life is to make other people smile.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2