Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

I think the 200th Supernatural worked so well because they were poking fun at certain aspects of the fandom but not the fans themselves.

From the early days of the show I can remember everyone attached to SPN having intense respect for the fans. I can't speak for more recent seasons. I do believe though it is why many fans have remained loyal for a decade. Respect buys you a lot of forgiveness.

There was no last minute dash to the airport, declarations of I Love You or dramatic kissing, just a very realistic acknowledgment that he needed to make some changes in his life.

Welll... he only moved to a different country to be near her, and asked her to dinner - and it is assumed by some that she already knew or guessed because of the "letter from the editor" that the EP's posted on the UB official website that is supposed to be Daniel's last letter as EIC, there's a line in it that alludes to the change in his feelings.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101222160614AAP4Anx

it's a truly beautiful written letter.

But yes, the seeds to that romance had been planted since the pilot and truly has been slowly grown - very much in the same way Oliver and Felicity relationship has: slowly, first through friendship and then the realization that they feel more. Also in the risk of sounding like the comic purists: in the original Telenovela "Yo soy Betty, la fea" Betty ends up happily married to Armando (of whom Daniel is sort of based on), so for many of us who watched or knew of the original Telenovela we were expecting for that to happen; the difference between UB and Arrow is that America Ferrera and Eric Mabius had some pretty awesome on-screen chemistry from- literally from the get go, which cannot be said about Stephen and Katie, so you really wanted them to end up together in the end as the seasons went by and they kept on growing as characters.(which is why i had no major issues with Betty being a bit of an idiot from time to time, she was used to being the smart one who knows it all who takes care of everyone and so forth. she had stepped into a world she had very little knowledge about. i would have found it weird if she would not have fucked up, also she was in her 20's, we all make stupid mistakes in our 20's and screw up probably more than we don't. she was growing and slowly learning. Hack no character on UB was perfect - they all made mistakes, even papa Suarez.

So while the ending may have been slightly rushed - because the show not only got canceled but their episode count was reduced from 22 to 18 (i think they were shooting episode 12 when they learned of the cancellation), so that forced the writers to focus on tying down loose ends and rush through some things)- I was okay with how the show ended, considering the point the characters relationship was at, it doesn't always have to end with a kiss. Also Fanfiction is a wonderful way of filling in the gap :-) there were some amazing post finale fics that were posted.

Edited by foreverevolving

Do you happen to have a link to any?

FYI I remembered D/B having their own shorthanded nickname: Detty. and they were nicknamed: the bachelor and the butterfly.

this actually raises new & interesting insights into my shipping viewing habits. ones which i rather avoid for the time being. :-P

back to the fics: I probably have a good number of them on my fav and follow lists on ff.net (I have the same nickname there so you can try and locate me- let me know if you are unable to) although there's probably also a good number of mediocre ones too.

Also this livejournal community: http://daniel-betty.livejournal.com/ had some good writers in it. (and i'm really shocked the community is still up. actually i'm shocked LiveJournal still exists, than again myspace is still kicking and screaming out there.

any way, any stories by: "yahtzee63", "bonesfirst"(I think, it's been awhile so it's fuzzy but i kind of remember being excited when she would update) & "anneraw"(who wrote so wonderful wonderful one shots and series).

That's all I can remember off the top of my head.

Welll... he only moved to a different country to be near her, and asked her to dinner - and it is assumed by some that she already knew or guessed because of the "letter from the editor" that the EP's posted on the UB official website that is supposed to be Daniel's last letter as EIC, there's a line in it that alludes to the change in his feelings.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101222160614AAP4Anx

it's a truly beautiful written letter.

I hadn't watched the finale in awhile but I didn't get the impression he had actually permanently moved to London to be near her. I thought that he had gone in part to make up for the fact that he didn't actually say goodbye to her and to also ask her for dinner, but my memory could be spotty.

That letter is beautiful, I had never actually read it until now!

Ugly Betty was a show I gave up on because it was taking too long to put the couple together and they were acting too stupid along the way but I liked the ending.

I was watching Murdoch Mysteries, who went through it's own time of stupidity by the leads, but they finally got married in the 100th episode and it was the perfect way for two detectives to get married (they even asked the priest to rush through the ceremony so they could go catch the bad guys).  Then they prevented another crime on their honeymoon.

So it can be done, putting the couple together on an active/mystery show and still have it interesting. 

• Love 1

Ugly Betty was a show I gave up on because it was taking too long to put the couple together and they were acting too stupid along the way but I liked the ending.

I was watching Murdoch Mysteries, who went through it's own time of stupidity by the leads, but they finally got married in the 100th episode and it was the perfect way for two detectives to get married (they even asked the priest to rush through the ceremony so they could go catch the bad guys).  Then they prevented another crime on their honeymoon.

So it can be done, putting the couple together on an active/mystery show and still have it interesting. 

See, I was the opposite actually. I gave up on Murdoch Mysteries when they kept on coming up with more and more reasons to keep William and Julia apart. By the time Julia had married that doctor in Buffalo I had given up. 

I stuck around with Ugly Betty when I adjusted my view on Betty and Daniel's relationship.  If I recall correctly, the leads were pretty adamant about the fact that their relationship was the core of the show, but they didn't really see it as romantic. I kind of really enjoyed just seeing a male and female be really good, supportive friends and coworkers on TV. It's kind of one of things I enjoy about Barry and Caitlin's relationship on The Flash. If they end up staying friends, I think that'd be great. If they end up getting together, I wouldn't mind it either. I liked how they ended Ugly Betty with keeping Daniel and Betty's relationship open-ended though. As rushed as it was, I thought Eric Mabius absolutely killed it in the last few episodes as the guy who was finally growing up and realizing that his feelings for this amazing smart woman in his life was changing (with a little help from Claire Meade of course. Between Claire and Moira, I don't know who's more frightening.)

Edited by Tangerine
  • Love 1

I thought Mabius was very good too.  But they only hinted at putting them together when the show got cancelled.  Without that, like without Emily Deschanel's pregnancy, the couples might still be dancing around each other.

See, I was the opposite actually. I gave up on Murdoch Mysteries when they kept on coming up with more and more reasons to keep William and Julia apart. By the time Julia had married that doctor in Buffalo I had given up. 

Oh I gave on being a fangirl of the show during the Julia/Darcy years too, just as years 3 and 4 of Castle were painful.  But once the characters stopped being stupid and the couples moved together, I thought both shows got better.  And the Murdoch wedding was really well done.

I'm just happy to see other people who love Ugly Betty. I miss that show so much. I was happy with the ending, considering they were rushed to write it. I'm still hoping we'll get a movie one day... I know it's probably not likely but god I miss that cast. I will always be annoyed with the way the network tanked it & robbed us from having a season of Daniel & Betty learning how to navigate their new relationship together.

Edited by JJ928

I will always be annoyed with the way the network tanked it & robbed us from having a season of Daniel & Betty learning how to navigate their new relationship together.

I think many shows do that to themselves, tank the show because they're so afraid to put the couple together.  Including Arrow, it looks like.  I gave up on Ugly Betty watching Daniel and Betty go from partner to partner.  I came back when the cancellation was announced to see if they would finally get together.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1

I think many shows do that to themselves, tank the show because they're so afraid to put the couple together.  Including Arrow, it looks like.  I gave up on Ugly Betty watching Daniel and Betty go from partner to partner.  I came back when the cancellation was announced to see if they would finally get together.

I didn't mind the pacing because no matter what Daniel & Betty were always the core. I think season 4 was going to be their season, even if they had gotten renewed. I meant that the network tanked the show by moving it around & finally landing it on a Friday night. I don't think Arrow is going to keep O/F apart like Betty did. I'm guessing by the finale they'll be some major movement in that relationship, if they're not together. Now if they continue this pace all of season 4 then I'll be annoyed. Right now I'm okay with it because Felicity is getting a life outside of the Arrow cave (even if I can't stand Ray).

I thought Mabius was very good too.  But they only hinted at putting them together when the show got cancelled.  

I disagree, through out season 4 there have been many hints that showed perfectly how Daniel feelings for Betty, or at least his view of her as a mere friend, were slowly shifting. There's a scene in one of the early episodes of season 4 (I think episode 4) where Daniel and Betty are talking about his new assistant, and Betty calls him out the fact that he always ends up sleeping with his assistances, to which Daniel replies that he made a hasn't slept with her, and Betty say he wasn't the one who hired her. there is an "oh really" line from Daniel, and it's a really cool scene (which seems to no longer be found on youtube) which pretty much has major sexual undertones coming from Daniel.

The thing i loved about Daniel & Betty was that their relationship wasn't moving at breakneck speed, there was no together-apart-together-apart, will they won't they sort of shitty writing. they were first and foremost friends, everything else was just cherry on the top on the very delicious sunday.

in that way, they were very like Olilcity, friends first who became partner and over time grew closer and closer until one day, (as Scully once said beautifully) a light switch was turned on and they realized they became more.

I always said that if UB should have been given another half a season so that they could have been able to focus of the shift in betty too. Sadly due to the early cancelation the writers didn't have any time to focus on it- story lines to tie, and it would have been a bit rushed if Betty would have realized it then, it was too early for her; But Daniel was showing major signs since the season premier. Just like Oliver, he has slowly been falling for her without realizing, and it wasn't until he was faced with the risk of losing her, that he was forced to confront those emotional changes inside of him. 

I'm still hoping we'll get a movie one day... I know it's probably not likely but god I miss that cast. I will always be annoyed with the way the network tanked it & robbed us from having a season of Daniel & Betty learning how to navigate their new relationship together.

I doubted when the show was canceled, and even more so now, that it will ever receive a movie. it is far too late. although you never know, VM got one 8(?) years after it got canceled. I think somewhere in my boxes there's a UB movie-fic outline with some scenes actually written down- I think some of them are already on my hard drive, hack i even had a soundtrack list. I was always good with coming up with fics ideas, and sometimes writing them, but never good on completing them. which is why i avoid writing multi chapter fics.

I think many shows do that to themselves, tank the show because they're so afraid to put the couple together.  

UB suffered due to the 2008 writers strike, plus the idiotic storyline of season 2.

I had mentioned elsewhere in the forum that I started watching Orange is the New Black in Arrow's slot on Wednesday.  It's really good and surprisingly funny!  I watched three more episodes this weekend and could have binge-watched the entire first season, to be honest.  I'm sad, though, because I can't do Netflix, so I'll have to wait for the next season to be released on DVD before I can watch it :(  Don't know how things will shape up for the rest of the first season, but I'd recommend the show to people at this point.

I was a big Ugly Betty fan as well and plodded through the weaker parts only to have to deal with yet-another-show-I-enjoyed fall victim to the writer's strike.  I loved that Betty and Daniel became friends, quicly & very naturally, even though they had so little in common. On the surface, at least. I also liked Betty and Gio because he seemed to shake her away from God Awful Henry (though I loved Chris Gorham in the role, I just despised what happened to the character).  I think Betty was better able to see Daniel for more than his adorable but very frustrating faults because Gio adjusted her view of people. Betty had been pretty set in how she looked at people in that industry and who she worked with. Daniel certainly matured, in large part to having Betty in his life, but Betty did, too. 

If they had ended up together, fine. If they didn't (but remained close friends), fine.

I never saw Daniel's letter, either.  It was lovely. Thanks for the link, foreverevolving!

Also a Murdoch Mysteries fan and I gave up around episode 90. I guess I should continue watching?

I've been liking Murdoch Mysteries a lot this year.  No more stupid triangles for William and Julia (although George has now found himself in one with the character who was his love interest in the pilot episode) and I think the mysteries are quite good. There was one about human trafficking (which impressed me also because it was real Hungarian spoken without subtitles so like William and Julia, you only had the translator's words).  They also do a really good job of incorporating real inventions and real historical characters into the show (last week it was Teddy Roosevelt).  And Julia got arrested protesting to give women the vote.

Oh man. I bailed on Homeland after last season. I tried onitnb but just not my cuppa I guess. Gave up on OUAT the first season. I'm watching Arrow, Supernatural, sleepy hollow (which is sorely testing my patience right now),TWD., Elementary, Hannibal, SoA only because I'm too invested and I want everyone to die lol as my watch live or same day DVR viewing.

What's ONITNB?

I bailed on Hannibal in S1 with the "angel" episode...gross and it moved to slowly for me, I usually have patience but the show just bored me.

Orange is the New Black. 

I had to bail on Hannibal in season one.  Ugh, it was so disgusting.  I felt bad because I like Hugh Dancy, and Mads Mikkelsen was great, but god the gore was awful.

Is anyone here watching "Constantine?"  I am not familiar with the comics but saw the Keanu Reeves movie so I suppose I have a cursory knowledge of the character. I'm enjoying the show - the gore level reminds me of the X-Files so far, nothing I'd want my 12 year old to see at this point but it's not keeping ME up at night either.

I tried American Horror Story - not for me at all. I wasn't interested in Hannibal enough to even give it a try.

Haven't gotten into OINTB...

Me! Me! Finally caught up and I loved that last episode (even though it had bugs, ewww). That last scene with him, Gary and Manny was devastating. They need to find a use for Manny the angel, though. So far he just seems to be flying in to announce something bad is gonna happen.

I'm two weeks behind on Constantine. I've been enjoying it, but I haven't really warmed up to Zed yet.

I was a big Ugly Betty fan as well and plodded through the weaker parts only to have to deal with yet-another-show-I-enjoyed fall victim to the writer's strike.  I loved that Betty and Daniel became friends, quicly & very naturally, even though they had so little in common. On the surface, at least. I also liked Betty and Gio because he seemed to shake her away from God Awful Henry (though I loved Chris Gorham in the role, I just despised what happened to the character).  I think Betty was better able to see Daniel for more than his adorable but very frustrating faults because Gio adjusted her view of people. Betty had been pretty set in how she looked at people in that industry and who she worked with. Daniel certainly matured, in large part to having Betty in his life, but Betty did, too. 

If they had ended up together, fine. If they didn't (but remained close friends), fine.

I never saw Daniel's letter, either.  It was lovely. Thanks for the link, foreverevolving!

Man, Henry was the worst. I really liked Gio though, even though he had a tendency to mansplain. He really did challenge Betty's worldview and I thought the actor was one of the stronger ones out of Betty's love interests. I really didn't like how they left things.

Oh, sheesh, I hadn't even paid attention to the ratings - I figured it had to be doing well. I watch "Grimm" too and it seems like a great match up.

Is Grimm any good this season? I stopped watching in Season 2. Not because I wasn't enjoying it, it's just that I forgot what time it was on.

Edited by Tangerine

Haven't had the chance to watch Constantine yet. I also had to drop Gotham and How to get away with murder out of the weekly watch (along with Downtown Abbey) cause I didn't have the time. luckily fall break is coming next week so i'll get up to speed on some of them and the rest will wait for winter break.

Is Grimm any good this season? I stopped watching in Season 2. Not because I wasn't enjoying it, it's just that I forgot what time it was on.

I thought last season was strong.  Some storylines dragged out for a long time but the payoff was pretty great.  This season has been more of a reactionary season to last seasons finale but still enjoyable IMO.  I never had issues with Juliette but I've heard from others that she's been much better in the last couple seasons.  Grimm isn't a level one favorite of mine but sometimes that makes it easier to just go with the flow.  I tried Constantine but I bailed for the same reason I couldn't watch Supernatural.   I don't do horror. 

TNT is really keeping Noah Wyle employed year-round, first with Falling Skies and now with The Librarians.

The Librarians - Series Premiere - Advanced Preview: "Thoroughly Entertaining" [spoilerS]
Posted by Robert Fruin at Tuesday, November 18, 201
http://www.spoilertv.com/2014/11/the-librarians-series-premiere-advanced.html

I had watched TNT's The Librarian trilogy of movies and thought they were okay, but when I heard about the TV show, I immediately thought of Warehouse 13.  But I'm willing to give this new show a try - esp. if it turns out to be as good as the above review indicates.

Edited by tv echo

I've always liked Noah Wyle, and Carter from E.R. was my hero for a while, back there. But I soon grew to hate Falling Skies, because the people were all assholes. This new show will be worth a watch, at the very least.

Christian Kane was great fun in Angel too. And I've always liked Rebecca Romijn, so it'll be nice to see her in something.

I liked the movies (for the most part) and I'll probably check out the series but I'll keep my expectations low. It was a nicely written review, but it still came from a seventeen year old boy. Not sure if what impresses him will impress me.

I liked the Librarian movies but I'm not sold on the series, I would have preferred if it was Noah Wyle, Falling Skies is in it's last year anyway.  I'll give this a shot but the promos already seem to have Christian Kane just being Eliot from Leverage and that's not making me want to watch.  Nothing against Eliot I would just prefer to see if CK can actually do something other than angry/midwest farm boy (which, is really all Lindsey boiled down to as well, IMO).

2014 Fall Finale hype!  (There appears to be a common theme.)

Arrow - "It literally is a game changer in the sense that the series will never be the same afterwards."

Castle - "[A]n episode-ending twist promises to 'change the shape of the show' for at least a short while."

The Flash - "It's a huge turning point for the show...."

Marvel's Agents of SHIELD - "In the end, our team -- and our show -- will be changed forever."

Once Upon A Time - "Two of the show's most beloved relationships will be tested and changed forever...."

Ho-hum...

(http://tvline.com/gallery/2014-fall-tv-show-finales-photos-midseason-spoilers/#!1/draw-back-yourbow/)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

I think i may be the only female alive to not find him attractive. i mean he's pretty (like a poorwoman Brad Pitt - although i don't find him too attractive as well) he has nice muscles and a cute smile, but.. nothing. like seriously.. nothing. Give me George Clooney, RDJ, Stephen, and even Brandon Routh (who continues to freakishly look like an even taller, broader, version of my english professor- for which i am not complaining).

To this day I do not know how Jensen Ackles has never been in People Magazines Sexiest Men Alive. I am irrationally annoyed by this development. 

NEVER MIND . I see the boys were both in the Men of the Year in 2005.  But it's technically not The Sexiest Men Alive portion...LOL. 

Of course I think Jensen is 1000% hotter now than when he was in his 20's so I remain miffed. 

Edited by catrox14

What strikes me most about Chris Hemsworth is that he's married to Elsa Pataky, who played Vera in the short-lived Queen of Swords TV show which was a guilty pleasure of mine.  (And also that she's 9 years older than he is, so kudos to him for staying faithful to her and their three kids).

Anyone wanting to be techy like Felicity?  Stanford is offering an online course (mooc) in Cryptography. Secret keys, public keys and encryptions.  I really like on-line courses but this one has too much programming for me.

(And also that she's 9 years older than he is, so kudos to him for staying faithful to her and their three kids).

I have to WTF this part, cause... WTF?!

What does spouse age has to do with the other spouse cheating? nothing!

Would you say "kudos" as well if the wife was younger? or to a wife(partner) who is younger than her other half?

a cheating douchbag is a cheating douchbag, no matter if the his/her partner is older or younger. There's no need to give him credit because, shock!, he married an older woman (and seriously 9 years... not that much older compared to some other couples in hollywood). you make it sound as if she is some old hag so kudos to him for marrying her cause if not she'll be alone.

This kind of thing pisses me off.. love has no age (as long as both partner are of consenting age or are both under 18).

I have to WTF this part, cause... WTF?!

What does spouse age has to do with the other spouse cheating? nothing!

Would you say "kudos" as well if the wife was younger? or to a wife(partner) who is younger than her other half?

a cheating douchbag is a cheating douchbag, no matter if the his/her partner is older or younger. There's no need to give him credit because, shock!, he married an older woman (and seriously 9 years... not that much older compared to some other couples in hollywood). you make it sound as if she is some old hag so kudos to him for marrying her cause if not she'll be alone.

This kind of thing pisses me off.. love has no age (as long as both partner are of consenting age or are both under 18).

I think the kudos  are meant for him bucking the stereotypes that would have him running off and cheating and or just being a single man ho constantly banging jailbait.  It's pleasant to know that he's apparently in a  committed, loving relationship and it's also fun to see the gloriously gorgeous guy not trading in the wife for a younger model like it seems so often happens in Hollywood.  It stands out because it just isn't common.  It's sad that it is worthy of being pointed out but certainly there wasn't IMO any implication that it would be ok for him to cheat because he's married to an older woman just that it's so nice that he's not acting like a sleazebag. 

The younger man /older woman thing is likely far more common than most of us realize since it's not the cliché but since it isn't the cliché it still kind of stands out. 

• Love 1

I just started watching The 100, oh man this show is so intense. I just hate myself for getting into this show because it may be canceled lol

The second season has IMO been better than the first.  The first was just as intense but for me there were some glaring plot holes that constantly distracted me (like how they always had food and they seemed to be perfectly at home outside covered in mud and no one was building shelters or worrying about winter or)  This year I think they have had some great conflicts set in motion that make a lot of sense and the Mountain Men's are perfectly creepy.

That said, they have got to stop killing everyone constantly.  It makes Arrow seem like a kids show.   It's been a brutal show right from the start.  There are some deaths from the first few episodes that I'm still not over. 

I hope it sticks around for a couple more seasons or at least gets the chance to end without the usual cliffhanger. 

The second season has IMO been better than the first.  The first was just as intense but for me there were some glaring plot holes that constantly distracted me (like how they always had food and they seemed to be perfectly at home outside covered in mud and no one was building shelters or worrying about winter or)  This year I think they have had some great conflicts set in motion that make a lot of sense and the Mountain Men's are perfectly creepy.

That said, they have got to stop killing everyone constantly.  It makes Arrow seem like a kids show.   It's been a brutal show right from the start.  There are some deaths from the first few episodes that I'm still not over. 

I hope it sticks around for a couple more seasons or at least gets the chance to end without the usual cliffhanger. 

Lmaoooo one of the things I always think of is, "HOW ARE NONE OF THE WOMEN PREGNANT". Then I think maybe the radiation is a form of birth control? :p 

I'm so into this show though. Wells was a difficult death to handle for me :/ Also Kane's mom's death. Ughhhh. 

I hope it gets renewed. I can't see why Beauty and the Beast gets renewed after its crappy season last season and not have The 100 get renewed...

ETA: I just got my question answered lmao

tumblr_nfeulhRvVN1qg73zoo1_1280.jpg

Edited by wonderwall