Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Mark Pedowtiz Ducks Les Moonves Question Calling CW “Joint Venture…Different Place, Different Culture” – TCA
by Lisa de Moraes  August 6, 2018
https://deadline.com/2018/08/mark-pedowtiz-ducks-les-moonves-question-calling-cw-joint-venture-different-place-different-culture-tca-1202440724/

“I cannot discuss CBS,” CW chief Mark Pedowitz said today, when asked about sexual harassment allegations against CBS Corp CEO Leslie Moonves.

Pedowitz noted CW is “a joint venture” between CBS and Warner Bros.  He called CW “a different place, different culture, different world. We’re fairly autonomous.”

But, Pedowitz added, “Les is a a great executive and they will determine what best happens.”

Asked about diversity at CW, Pedowitz answered, “North of half my employees are female.”

Pedowitz had kicked off his Q&A saying he is “very proud” to have 12 of 17 programs executive produced by women or people of color.

Edited by tv echo

Hmm,  I'm considering applying.   I don't think having a more... upfront and less biased opinion could hurt.   I'm just so apprehensive that I'd get a show that I have no interest in watching,  let alone writing about.

• Love 7

Not sure which thread to post these articles in (since the Mind Your Surroundings thread is still closed)...

Warner Goes All-In On Female Superheroes With New 'Supergirl" Movie
Mark Hughes  August 7, 2018
https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2018/08/07/warner-goes-all-in-on-female-superheroes-with-new-supergirl-movie/#358ced69737a

News broke today of Warner Bros.' plans to release a Supergirl movie. The film already has a screenwriter attached, with scribe Oren Uziel penning the superhero project. But the rising fortunes of Supergirl seem to coincide with the declining fortunes of her Kryptonian cousin, Superman. This new project marks the second time Supergirl has appeared in cinema. Her first 1984 live-action adaptation hit box office kryptonite. Since 2015, Supergirl has appeared in a popular solo TV series, part of the larger shared DC world alongside the CW shows Arrow, Flash, and Legends of Tomorrow.
Warner is clearly going all-in on adapting women-led superhero content, and putting female directors behind the cameras.

Next year sees the release of Patty Jenkins' Wonder Woman 1984, a sequel to last year's blockbuster Wonder Woman, also directed by Jenkins. Birds of Prey, a female super-team movie featuring Margot Robbie reprising her Suicide Squad role as Harley Quinn, starts production next January with Cathy Yan in the director's chair. Batgirl has a script and is seeking a director (reportedly a woman). And now comes Supergirl, which will be at least (depending on how a few other projects shape up) Warner's fifth superhero film featuring a woman lead, and -- if Warner is smart about the director choice -- it could be the fourth or fifth of those movies directed by a woman as well.

Other Spinoff Heroes Who Could Follow Supergirl's Jump to Movies
AUGUST 06, 2018   by Graeme McMillan
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/will-supergirl-movie-lead-female-spinoff-heroes-1132516

The news that Warner Bros. is developing a Supergirl movie, on the heels of its Batgirl project confirms that the studio is not only doubling down on female-led superhero projects — don’t forget Birds of Prey and Wonder Woman 1984 are also in the works — but particularly interested in ancillary female characters related to the iconic big names of the DC superhero library.

Should this prove to be a successful route for Warners to pursue, there’s good news: DC has a lot of that kind of character. Here are five more examples from DC lore that could serve as inspiration.
Arrowette
The origin of the first Arrowette — technically, “Miss Arrowette,” as she was called in 1960s’ World’s Finest Comics No. 113 — is appealingly simple: Bonnie King (a pun on Green Arrow’s secret identity, Oliver Queen) was an Olympic-level archer who was inspired by Green Arrow’s crimefighting efforts and decided to get into the bow-and-arrow-hero game herself. Years later, it would be revealed that she had a daughter, Cissie King-Jones, who discovered her mother’s costume after her death and decided to follow in her footsteps, becoming the second Arrowette in 1997’s Impulse No. 28. (There’s also a non-Arrowette option for Green Arrow: Red Arrow, the current superhero identity of Oliver Queen’s half-sister, Emiko Queen, in both Green Arrow and Teen Titans comic books; she took on the role in 2017’s Green Arrow Vol. 6 No. 15; the name had previously been suggested for Thea Queen on the CW’s Arrow.)

Wonder Girl
Arrowette
Miss Martian
Jesse Quick
Mary Marvel

Edited by tv echo
13 minutes ago, Delphi said:

Hmm,  I'm considering applying.   I don't think having a more... upfront and less biased opinion could hurt.   I'm just so apprehensive that I'd get a show that I have no interest in watching,  let alone writing about.

It sounds like you can apply to write for a specific show. Maybe at least give it a shot? You could write circles around any of them.

• Love 5
On 8/1/2018 at 9:48 PM, SmallScreenDiva said:

Why do showrunners ever think

Hide contents

killing of their heroes or anti-heroes in The Originals' case

is a good idea?!?! It just seems lazy to me and, in some cases, negates the character's journey. I'll be very pissed if Arrow pulls the same thing. Or maybe I won't. Hopefully, I've stopped watching the show before that happens.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the anti-hero trend (that seems to be petering out) where it’s kind of the only appropriate ending for a main character who is objectively a bad person. 

• Love 1

OMG, I got Miss Havisham too, the original batshitcrazy left-at-the-altar-and-wore-her-wedding-dress-for-the-rest-of-her-life-until-it-caught-fire-and-killed-her crazy. At least she wanted to protect her niece from suffering at the hands of a man.

You got: Miss Havisham — Great Expectations

You're a classy and refined lady with a flair for the dramatic. Okay, that's an understatement — you definitely have the potential to be a total drama queen if the mood suits you! You're persistent, loyal, and super passionate about everything you do.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, lemotomato said:

I'm Jo March. I'm OK with that!

Ditto. Which is half right, half wrong, but it was fun. 

For the record, I also picked Adele and the cheese tray. 

3 hours ago, jaye.elle said:

Hey @Mellowyellow - did you ever watch Sea Patrol? I'm rewatching season 1 and I just saw a wild Yvonne Strahovski appeared. I was quite excited ;)

Nah I'm more of an Australian Reality TV show kind of gal! We make good reality TV from overly positive programs like Masterchef to the completely insane My Kitchen Rules! 

My excuse is I need background noise while I exercise and what is better than crazy "villains" cast by Channel 7?

Sea Patrol was sooo cheesy.  And some truly awful acting. I shipped Kate and the Commander until I realized that no woman should be stuck with a man like that.

It also had a young Jay Ryan (Vincent on Beauty and the Best) as Spider.

21 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Why?

She's a bit of an Aussie icon I think. Solid acting, did a lot of respected shows, won lots of Logies, can sing, did musicals, very sane, no scandals.

Random question for anyone reading: Would you let your young child have packet ramen noodles but not drink the soup?

Mine accidentally discovered them when Lil Sis babysat him and she ate a spicy tom yum version. He had a few bites but couldn't hack the spice. He frequently tells me he wishes he could have some non spicy ones with  a far away look in his eyes. I haven't told him non spicy ones exist.

Yay (life is short and how much ramen can one child eat anyway) or nay cuz poison?

Would not dare ask this in my parenting group cuz I'd get crucified for even thinking it! 

Edited by Mellowyellow
10 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Random question for anyone reading: Would you let your young child have packet ramen noodles but not drink the soup?

I eat mine without the soup. After the noodles cook I leave in a little water, put in a little of the seasoning, and mix it with my chopsticks so the noodles get covered in the seasoning. Sometimes I put a slice of American cheese on top and mix that in once it gets melty. 

• Love 1

Where do you guys purchase your ebooks? I need someplace where I could get stuff that's easy to open in iBooks on my iPad and in a desktop app on my laptop (Windows 10). I tried Amazon, but I couldn't figure out how to open the books offline without a Kindle. Now I've tried Kobo, which seems to be a bit cheaper, and have downloaded their desktop app, but it requires an update straight away. Why not have the latest version avalaible for update? And I haven't even tried to open it on the iPad. Why is this so ficking complicated?

In case you were wondering about The CW's summer shows...

Episode 103 of Burden of Truth (starring Kristen Kreuk) got ratings of 0.10 demo and 0.761M viewers. This demo number is a 50% drop from the first two episodes:
https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/burden-of-truth-season-one-ratings/

After five episodes, The Outpost appears to be sitting steady at 0.10 demo and around 0.6M viewers:
https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/outpost-season-one-ratings/

Edited by tv echo
15 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

She's a bit of an Aussie icon I think. Solid acting, did a lot of respected shows, won lots of Logies, can sing, did musicals, very sane, no scandals.

Mine accidentally discovered them when Lil Sis babysat him and she ate a spicy tom yum version. He had a few bites but couldn't hack the spice. He frequently tells me he wishes he could have some non spicy ones with  a far away look in his eyes. I haven't told him non spicy ones exist.

Yay (life is short and how much ramen can one child eat anyway) or nay cuz poison?

Would not dare ask this in my parenting group cuz I'd get crucified for even thinking it! 

I don't think there really is ANYTHING that a kid or an adult can't have once and a while as long as there are no allergies involved.  Certain foods just have to be a rare treat.  And there's no reason why you couldn't also limit the portion to like it being a side dish to a healthier meal.  

15 hours ago, bijoux said:

Where do you guys purchase your ebooks? I need someplace where I could get stuff that's easy to open in iBooks on my iPad and in a desktop app on my laptop (Windows 10). I tried Amazon, but I couldn't figure out how to open the books offline without a Kindle. Now I've tried Kobo, which seems to be a bit cheaper, and have downloaded their desktop app, but it requires an update straight away. Why not have the latest version avalaible for update? And I haven't even tried to open it on the iPad. Why is this so ficking complicated?

You can easily get the Kindle app for your laptop or ipad and then open anything from Amazon through that.  They'll even synch up if you want.  For a long time I had my Kindle and the app on my phone and PC.  Then when I got my ipad I ended up pretty much just using it so much that I ruined my kindle's battery by not charging it for a couple years.  

• Love 1

I don't buy ebooks because I find hard copy eaiser to read but I'd like to put in a good word for The Book Depository.  They're in the UL, they have books I can't find elsewhere, their prices are often cheaper than I get at Amazon, and unlike Amazon the shipping is free.

They have ebooks too.

www.bookdepository.com

11 hours ago, tv echo said:

Episode 103 of Burden of Truth (starring Kristen Kreuk) got ratings of 0.10 demo and 0.761M viewers. This demo number is a 50% drop from the first two episodes:
https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/burden-of-truth-season-one-ratings/

I have no idea why it got a season 2.

• Love 1
On 8/10/2018 at 11:20 PM, statsgirl said:

I have no idea why it got a season 2.

Kreuk's shows do better internationally, don't they? At least that's what I've read or heard when people kept asking how BATB kept going on and on and on despite seemingly embarrassingly low ratings. 

9 hours ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Kreuk's shows do better internationally, don't they? At least that's what I've read or heard when people kept asking how BATB kept going on and on and on despite seemingly embarrassingly low ratings. 

Burden of Truth was produced for a Canadian channel and just picked up as summer filler for CW.  It's not really a terrible show to tell you the truth and I don't even like KK.  Not special or great but not really cringe-worthy or anything.   I assume the ratings on the Canadian channel did well enough?  Or maybe it is a Netflix kind of thing were they know her fans will eventually watch.  Did CW pick it up for the second season or just the original producers?

The CBC picked it up for a second season.  They cancelled Bellevue for it, a really interesting and weird series with Anna Paquin, Allan Leech and Shawn Doyle.

The CBC is the public broadcaster (like PBS or BBC) so they have to produce Canadian content.  Kim's Convenience and Schitt's Creek are worth it,  I think Burden of Proof  could have been made by any cheap channel.

• Love 1

@statsgirl is pot legal for real in Canada? Like for fun or medicinal purposes?

Hey I can't work out if my mash potato is too salty. I keep tasting it and I'm kinda sus that it's saltier than usual but I eat it fine. Does that mean it's not salty cuz to fix it I need to go buy more potatoes and I'm not keen on going through all that drama again. 

Making cottage pie! 

Right now medicinal pot is legal if you have a doctor's note.  In October, it will be legal for fun.

If you add a little sugar, it takes away some of the salty taste.  But it alters the taste (my kid tried it after she over-salted her soft boiled eggs and now she puts sugarthem all the time).

• Love 1

haha keep me updated on how they approach it when it's legal for fun!

In Aus you can get ciggies but they hide them behind the shelves and it's not obvious that you can get ciggies unless you are a smoker. I wonder if that will be the case with pot for you guys or whether it'll be a loud and proud thing!

Is it expensive? Like more expensive than ciggies? Ciggies cost a fortune here I don't know how the people who smoke a pack a day can afford it! I am the biggest cheapskate the thought of blowing $30 away a day KILLS me!

Added more milk and a pinch of sugar. It tastes "seasoned" but not salty. I was going to buy 3 extra potatoes when I was out with the dog but in my old age I forgot! 

Wow, that's expensive!  They cost about $12 a pack here, 3/4s of which are taxes because it's an easy thing to tax.  They hide them here toobehind barriers and the packages have nasty pictures of diseased lungs.

Don't know how much the pot is going to cost. Each province gets to do it their own way.  Were were going to have government r un stores till the government changed to a Conservative one who is all about enterprise.  So now we're only going to be able to buy it on-line until the spring, which makes me sad because I missed that period in my teens and I was looking forward to seeing what I missed but I'm not going to buy it on-line. I just want one to try.

Edited by statsgirl

haha now I know what I'm going to do if I ever go to Canada! 

I missed out on that stage too! And clubbing! I NEVER got to go clubbing! Then when I was able to go I totally got over it and became a fuddy duddy who didn't like loud music! 

I did go on pub crawls with my colleagues though and had LOTS of Bailey's on the rocks! Mmm Bailey's! Fasting today even plain Bailey's is looking good right now! 

We have the diseased pics on our ciggie packs too! Gotta love the fallen off rotting toes! 

1 hour ago, Sakura12 said:

I went to Colorado last year and it was strange to walk down a main street and see restaurants, clothing shops, pot shops and book shops all together. 

Lol,  that's how itfelt even I was in Los Angeles earlier in the year,  bar,  bar,  cafe, clothing store,  oh look those teenagers are defintely just buying edibles from the store. 

It's been legal in Washington state for a long time, now.  It seemed weird at first, but now it's pretty normal.  I've used the edible mints, and I really like them.  You can control the dosage, but the problem with edibles is if you don't mind yourself you can suddenly find yourself too stoned to be in public (which is never my intention, personally) LOL

I met Aretha Franklin when I was 14. I was backstage in a dressing room waiting for my mom. Aretha walked in and sat down next to me and asked what I was doing in her room. I could barely speak I was so shocked. She was my mother’s most favorite singer. While waiting for me to speak she started laughing and said she was sorry that she was in the wrong room. We then talked about 15 minutes. My mom walked in and about collapsed when she saw who I was talking with  

She gave me the best hug. She was wonderful, kind and funny. My memory of her will always be this accidental meeting. 

RIP Aretha Franklin. 

• Love 20