Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Interesting read, especially this part: "... it takes more than just ratings for a TV show to survive to see another seasonNetworks are now looking at online, on-demand, and streaming viewership; awards appeal; social-media audiences; and international sales, among many other factors".

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Frequency and No Tomorrow not getting back orders, going to Netflix eight days after season finales.

http://deadline.com/2016/11/frequency-no-tomorrow-no-back-orders-the-cw-netflix-1201855687/

Not surprising, but a pity really 'cause both were good shows.  Maybe they are hoping they will find their audience on Netflix and thus give them a reason not to cancel them.   

Edited by BkWurm1
On 15.11.2016 at 2:17 PM, LeighAn said:

I believe a Ginny/Mike romantic relationship is possible simply because the EPs and cast members talk about Ginny/Mike as a romantic possibility in interviews. That being said I think it will be a slow burn type thing like Luke/Lorelai takes seasons to get there. And to be honest I'll enjoy the pairing either direction they choose to go. 

That is if Pitch gets past cancellation. I'm worried by their ratings recently and their has been no news of a pick up yet. 

Yeah thanks... I've just decided to watch the episodes I've missed and now I'm back to doubting :/

So can I just plead for no one to put any spoilers in the spoilers only tag if it isn't from a legit source? Like that thing about Felicity telling Mayo that what they have is real was a curious cat post that was from reddit which is NOT a legit sourc.e 

• Love 5

I would think it will depend how the Empire spinoff Star does. I would say Gotham, Lucifer, Empire, Leethal Weapon, Sunday line up are a lock for renewal. Bones has its final season. Dont expect Sleepy Hollow and Rosewood to survive another season. I think at this moment Pitch is on the buble and it can go either way.

I'm not confident by the fact media sites talk about Pitch as a likely or potential axe One article even mentioned how it was performing at a CW level which I'm sure Fox are thrilled to be compared to. However the show seems to be buzz worthy for them on social media and MLB are supposedly heavily involved in helping make the show so hopefully. I agree it can go either way. 

I wonder if they may renew but try it in a different less competitive timeslot. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, LeighAn said:

Hopefully it's not just Mark being optimistic cause Fox hasn't made any announcements yet and they only have three eps left for the first season. Fingers crossed. 

Yeah, please let it be that he has some inside knowledge, because I love Pitch.  I don't want to lose it.  And since MLB is heavily involved in the show, they should have had Topps put out some Topps Now cards for it.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, LeighAn said:

One article even mentioned how it was performing at a CW level which I'm sure Fox are thrilled to be compared to.

Unfortunately it is performing at a CW level.  The last episode got a 0.7.  I mean, I don't think the fans should necessarily lose all hope, but I do think they should prepare themselves for it not to be renewed. /my two cents

Well the creator of the show was tweeting today about people with Neilsen boxes to watch the show tonight so again not looking promising. I just hope one way or another they wrap the season with a satisfying ending and not leave it on a cliff hanger in case it doesn't get another season.

The show is well written and the characters are well handled it's surprising to me that it's not doing better. 

• Love 1

Stefan and Elena probably not. Damon and Elena probably as if not more popular. I'd say of the CW the ships only a few have been pop cultural phenomenally popular ie not just by size of fandom, but social media and entertainment media coverage would be Damon Elena, Olicity, Chuck and Blair of Gossip Girl and maybe Clexa of 100. 

Edited by LeighAn
  • Love 3

I don't think that's necessarily true. I thought Dan and Blair had a lot of potential and their growing closer together was a breath of fresh air on a stale show. However, I can still recognize that Chuck and Blair had a wide active and vocal fanbase even if I thought they were horrible.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Mellowyellow said:

I did not get chuck and Blair! I was the lone idiot in the corner who loved Dan and Blair together!

Dan and Blair had their own popularity but in terms of overall picture I would say Chuck and Blair will always be considered THE Gossip Girl couple in terms of popularity and coverage to the point that companies actually used them to promote products that's how significant they were. (Harry Winstons and a Chinese clothing company used them in marketing campaigns) They were big when the show was on the air

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, bijoux said:

I don't think that's necessarily true. I thought Dan and Blair had a lot of potential and their growing closer together was a breath of fresh air on a stale show. However, I can still recognize that Chuck and Blair had a wide active and vocal fanbase even if I thought they were horrible.

I think two things 1. The writers liked trying out and and all pairings much like the Vampire Diaries and Dan and Blair were just a popular spin drive for them and 2. I think Chuck and Blair ultimately became a case of what happens when you throw so many obstacles, third party LIs, and needless (and sometimes horrible) drama at a couple that the journey is not worth the end destination and the show bled viewers hard because of it by the end they had less then a million viewers and dismal demos. They also rinsed and repeated the Blair and Serena friendship storyline ad naseum and then basically diminished it from the show by making it come off as hard to believe they could ever still be friends and the Dan and Blair thing definitely was culpable in that.

Edited by LeighAn
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, LeighAn said:

Stefan and Elena probably not. Damon and Elena probably as if not more popular. I'd say of the CW the ships only a few have been pop cultural phenomenally popular ie not just by size of fandom, but social media and entertainment media coverage would be Damon Elena, Olicity, Chuck and Blair of Gossip Girl and maybe Clexa of 100. 

It was technically only on the CW for a year but Luke and Lorelai on Gilmore Girls was and still is really big.  Java Junkies for life.  Same thing applies for Logan and Veronica aka LoVe from Veronica Mars.  And then there is the world of Smallville.  Ships, ships and more ships.  

Edited by BkWurm1

Well, there was Stefan, haha. I wouldn't count any of Damon's LIs from when Elena was with Stefan, either. So after that...she did date at least one other random guy that I can think of? There may have been others, at least on her side. But I wouldn't say that they were used to break D/E up, just used as a sort of placeholder while they were on the outs.

24 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

It was technically only on the CW for a year but Luke and Lorelai on Gilmore Girls was and still is really big.  Java Junkies for life.  Same thing applies for Logan and Veronica aka LoVe from Veronica Mars.  And then there is the world of Smallville.  Ships, ships and more ships.  

Yeah I was considering Gilmore Girls and Veronica Mars more as WB shows then CW and I don't Clark and Lana or Clark and Lois ever reached pop cultural phenomenon level in the same way Damon and Elena or Chuck and Blair did.

2 minutes ago, Carrie Ann said:

Well, there was Stefan, haha. I wouldn't count any of Damon's LIs from when Elena was with Stefan, either. So after that...she did date at least one other random guy that I can think of? There may have been others, at least on her side. But I wouldn't say that they were used to break D/E up, just used as a sort of placeholder while they were on the outs.

Yeah their was the college dude Elena dated who was pretty much like Billy or Susan you look at as "Why are we watching this again?"

Holy shit HTGAWM has some balls!! They promised somebody big for the sheet reveal and they delivered. I'm devastated by the loss. Frankly, he was one of the prime reasons I watched the show. I found his journey captivating. I'll be invested to see them solve the mystery of his death. But I might be out for next season. I mean seriously how could they take out such a major character? I think any loss to the main cast would have hurt. But I can think of at least 4-5 other cast members I could have parted with first. At least HTGAWM keeps its promises, even if they know it is going to hurt on multiple levels. They really have no fear and just pursue storylines without a safety net.

Just now, Mellowyellow said:

I should watch TVD again. Was so relaxing to watch without shipping.

Damn Olicity ruining my life!

That was me I liked Stefan Damon and Elena individually couldn't care less about who ended up with who. But I stopped watching fully after season 3 and just caught episodes here and there

7 hours ago, kismet said:

Holy shit HTGAWM has some balls!! They promised somebody big for the sheet reveal and they delivered. I'm devastated by the loss. Frankly, he was one of the prime reasons I watched the show. I found his journey captivating. I'll be invested to see them solve the mystery of his death. But I might be out for next season. I mean seriously how could they take out such a major character? I think any loss to the main cast would have hurt. But I can think of at least 4-5 other cast members I could have parted with first. At least HTGAWM keeps its promises, even if they know it is going to hurt on multiple levels. They really have no fear and just pursue storylines without a safety net.

I just looked this up! Wow! Now I want to know who did it!

• Love 1
On 11/16/2016 at 2:15 PM, FurryFury said:

Yeah thanks... I've just decided to watch the episodes I've missed and now I'm back to doubting :/

Regarding Pitch: 

Spoiler

Just warning you...the promo for the next episode (Dec. 1st) showed Ginny and Mike nearly kissing (not sure if it will be an actual kiss or an almost kiss).  You can see here:

Spoiler

Regarding Pitch:

Spoiler

Since Mike's trade is gonna fall through and he's going to stick around the clubhouse making whatever happens awkward either way, I'd rather they just kiss. At that point an "almost" isn't going to make much difference. 

Plus, I need this in case the show gets canceled. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Mellowyellow said:

Oooh yes I forgot about her.

Rachel Bilson wasn’t CW was she? 

Originally no (The OC was Fox) but the other show, Hart of Dixie was on the CW. The actress who played Lois Lane on Smallville is on a Canadian drama, Saving Hope. Which weirdly, one of the dudes from The Originals was also on for a while. 

Sophia Bush was on OTH and she's now on Chicago PD doing pretty well for herself. That's really all I can think of right now. 

Well technically Sophia Bush and Kristen Bell started on WB shows that became CW shows so if we were going purely on CW shows I'd say Blake Lively has had the best transition in terms of movies she has made and movies she was in contention for (she was close to being cast for both Wolf of Wall Street and Great Gatsby of which I'm glad she wasn't cast). But even then I feel she got more fame for who she dates/marries then solely her career.

I would probably include Sebastien Stan and Armie Hammer to the list of CW stars who trasistioned. Both were on Gossip Girl and coincidentally played Serena love interests.

7 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

How about Michelle Williams? Oscar nominated, indie-film darling, even won a Tony. I don't know if she's more famous than Blake but I'd say she's done well for herself.

I believe Dawson's Creek finished before WB merger to become CW. So she isn't a CW actress but I do think in terms of actresses who started on teen dramas who made it big she's up there. She is also a front runner for a Oscar for this season.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Carrie Ann said:

Technically, Kristen Bell came from The CW, and she's doing pretty well. I'd take her career over Blake's, personally.

I like them both a lot as actresses, but Bell has been in a lot of shitty stuff, which is a shame since she's so talented. For years after Veronica Mars the only thing I saw her in that I liked was Scream 4, which she had a cameo in. Well, and her voice over work on Gossip Girl! She's bounced back recently with the Veronica Mars movie, which was lovely. I know her new show has gotten a decent reception but it has not made it over to the UK yet. 

37 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

I would probably include Sebastien Stan and Armie Hammer to the list of CW stars who trasistioned. Both were on Gossip Girl and coincidentally played Serena love interests..

Gossip Girl is probably the only thing I have ever liked Sebastian Stan in. He just doesn't register for me at all in the Marvel movies and he's popped up in other films I've really enjoyed without making much of an impact on me, like Rachel Getting Married and Ricki and the Flash.

I loved Kristen Bell on House of Lies with Don Cheadle. Such a completely different character than anything else she's doen.

i thought Sebastian Shaw was excellent on KINGS, which you all should watch if you have not.

Michael Rosenbaum (aka Lex Luthor ) has his show Impastor which is a bit obscure but fun.

Milo Ventimiglia I count as CW even if he was only a regular while Gilmore Girls was on the WB.  Sean Gunn (Kirk from Gilmore Girls) was in Guardians of the Galaxy but his brother wrote and directed it so that might not count, lol.  Lauren Graham went on to Parenthood and is the go to mom in kids movies it seems.

And then the real big one:  Melissa McCarthy

• Love 3

I think the WB in general attracted and cast better talent. They wanted attractive people but it also mattered that they were good actors. I can think of many actors in addition to those already listed that have gone on to critically & commercially acclaimed projects like - Keri Russell; Scott Foley; Scott Speedman; Joshua Jackson; SMG and thats just off the top of my head.

I honestly think when it became the CW, looks took precedence and more importance than acting ability. Sure there have been some lucky castings that hit both; but in general it's been pretty people first. EBR is the exception, not the rule. And if the actor has any talent it was most likely established in a role predating their time on the CW.

And I know some people will say that Blake Lively has had a good career but I give credit to her parental connections not her time on the CW. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, tv echo said:

I've been watching Poldark - what is it with these 'heroes' not being able or willing to apologize to the women they betray?

Well, I think that this is because TPTB do not like to acknowledge that the "hero" (when it happens to be male) has wronged a woman

Spoiler

(or two, in Poldark's case)

• Love 1

From the spoilers thread:

38 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

She looks white to me because white in Brazil =/= white in the USA. She would be white here [not "white passing", actually white by cultural background and because society would totally see her as white, then also by law.]. Just like I'm white, even though I'm Arab-Portuguese-Native Brazilian-African-Italian mixed. But I'm white.

I'd thought her to be white as well. The difference in perception of race from country to country is really curious - for example, I don't know why Hispanics are considered people of color in the US, and Italians aren't, even though there's not that much of a difference.

• Love 2