Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I can honestly say that I'm Really HAPPY that Nashville got picked up. It's a guilty pleasure but I love it! The writing has deteriorated significantly over the last 2 seasons. But gosh darn it I just care about those characters. :) And it has new showrunners, so hopefully they can fix what it broken and improve on its better qualities.

This is the randomest of questions, but it's been bugging me and I keep forgetting to ask: does anyone else have issues seeing images in the forums? Since the update, whenever anyone posts tweets/pics/etc., I rarely see them -- just a big empty space that denotes there should be something there.It's in both Firefox and Chrome. I keep hoping it'll magically resolve itself, but it hasn't, so I thought I'd ask if anyone has the same issue or has suggestions about how to resolve it. 

I am. Sometimes it takes time to load the images, so I'd only see one tweet in a post where there are three - with no idea whatsoever that there is something I'm missing. No idea how to fix it.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 6/10/2016 at 0:02 AM, wonderwall said:

Reading this article exposing superherofeed for the asshole he is makes me happy :') 

http://www.dailydot.com/geek/geeks-of-color-jumah-eid-accused-plagiarism/?tw=dd

I really am glad to read this. That guy is such a scam. He was abusing this other guy and making fun of him and I called him out on it but he was like the guy gave me permission. I apologized at the time but now I wonder. 

He is also fake. When Felicity was popular with dude bros, he was posting about her all the time but as soon as he saw Dude bros disliked her, he changed. Even tried to pit Laurel again Felicity which lead to Felicity winning. :D 

He also started posting about Candice/Iris when Geek of Color started posting about her. Trying to steal their shine. 

Anyways, really happy more and more people are seeing him for what he is. 

Edited by TwistedandBored
On 6/11/2016 at 2:32 AM, FurryFury said:

I'm, for one, bummed that actually good and innovative shows get canceled while that melodramatic shit gets picked up by another network.

If this is a dig at the awesomeness that is Supergirl getting picked up by CW, then I'll just say I disagree with you on that.

(edited)

To all of our friends here in the LGBT community: I'm your ally and stand with you. I will work with you to create a better world in which you can live authentic lives without fear. My heart goes out to you today as you learn the news about the massacre in Orlando. I hope you're safe. I hope you know that you have allies. I hope you know you're loved and valued.290396F000000578-3125676-image-a-56_1434414532906.jpg

Edited by EmeraldArcher
"word" and "world are not the same
  • Love 17

Thoughts and Prayers with the Orlando victims and their families and friends. Such a horrible & senseless tragedy. I am heartbroken over lives forever changed. I also pray that the world learns to love more than to hate. There is just too much unnecessary hate. #LoveIsLove

On that note, I am watching the Tonys and just was legit sobbing at Lin Manuel's sonnet/acceptance speech. Literally beyond ugly crying... Here is a link to the clip.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, looptab said:

Damn you Game of Thrones, why are you playing with my emotions and 

Hide contents

Teasing Jaime/Brienne?

Why???

Tell me about it. I'm a wreck, and they have to stop this because I am in no shape to have my  heart broken again. I just about died already.

On 6/11/2016 at 3:50 PM, looptab said:

I am. Sometimes it takes time to load the images, so I'd only see one tweet in a post where there are three - with no idea whatsoever that there is something I'm missing. No idea how to fix it.

Thanks for letting me know! 

I'm just going to hope it magically cures itself, I guess, or continue to open tweet links to see images. Sigh. 

I know there's some animal lovers here, so I thought I would share. The SPCA in British Columbia received a donation of $500,000. But to "unlock it" they must raise a $500,000 first. I don't expect anyone to donate, but if people could share it with others who are able to donate that would be wonderful. 

http://www.spca.bc.ca/news-and-events/news/news-unlock-500k-for-animals.html

(also mods, if this is not allowed, please delete and let me know) 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, HighHopes said:

I know there's some animal lovers here, so I thought I would share. The SPCA in British Columbia received a donation of $500,000. But to "unlock it" they must raise a $500,000 first. I don't expect anyone to donate, but if people could share it with others who are able to donate that would be wonderful. 

http://www.spca.bc.ca/news-and-events/news/news-unlock-500k-for-animals.html

(also mods, if this is not allowed, please delete and let me know) 

Wait so what happens if they don't raise 500K? will they not get the donated 500K?

Who donates money and puts a condition like that?!

11 minutes ago, foreverevolving said:

Wait so what happens if they don't raise 500K? will they not get the donated 500K?

I'm not sure. I want to believe the person will still donate it, but this way the SPCA can also receive additional donations as well.

15 minutes ago, foreverevolving said:

I'm not sure how it really works, but when PBS does their pledgedrives to raise money, they say stuff like this all the time-- "Such and such company has pledged $1000, but we will only get it if we can get matching donations from you viewers/listeners in the next hour." Since they always announce by the end of the hour that met the match goal amount, I'm assuming it's a strategy to motivate people to donate.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, lemotomato said:

I'm not sure how it really works, but when PBS does their pledgedrives to raise money, they say stuff like this all the time-- "Such and such company has pledged $1000, but we will only get it if we can get matching donations from you viewers/listeners in the next hour." Since they always announce by the end of the hour that met the match goal amount, I'm assuming it's a strategy to motivate people to donate.

Yea, it may work for things like cancer and such, but animal welfare causes are short as it is when it comes to donations why would anyone give such a condition. I just find it weird and cruel, I mean 500K can feed and spay a whole lot! of dogs and cats.

• Love 1
(edited)

I've been enjoying this season, including the last episode. But I enjoy the characters it featured a lot =)True, Arya's story has been a chore these past two seasons, so I was mostly glad it was over and she GTFO of there. Just trying to understand whether fans complaints were that many to warrant TvLine asking NCW, or if Mitovich just started taking the Tv Fanatic approach. Actually I'm no sure there actually is a situation that warrants that type of inquiring, haha.

Edited by looptab
  • Love 1

Watched Guilt. I'm going to give it a few episodes. Not sold, but curious. Giles is on it and I didn't realize it was him at all. Change the voice, change everything.

1 hour ago, looptab said:

Just read this article on TvLine: http://tvline.com/2016/06/16/game-of-thrones-season-6-criticism-nikolaj-coster-waldau/

Was there really that much disappointment on SM? 

Well, by Game of Thrones standards, the last episode was comparatively slow, and it made some changes from the books that some readers (me included) weren't entirely happy with. But, well, it's a television adaptation, so that was probably inevitable, and apart from that and Arya's plot this season, I think season six has been better than season five.

• Love 1

I'm just mad they nailed the casting for Jaime and then completely butchered his character. It wouldn't so bad if they screwed up the casting, but no, NCW is like the perfect Jaime, but the writing for him is abysmal.

Personally, I loved what they did with Jaime on the show up until last season's scene between Cersei and Jamie over Joffery's dead body. What was just a really sick, kinky, and aggressive sex scene was shot like a rape, with Cersei protesting the whole way.  The producers comments afterward were completely blind to how it came across.  I haven't actually been watching this season due partially to my distaste with the rape(s) last season.  I'll probably marathon them when they end.

Yeah, the show is also about a book and a half behind on Jaime's character development, especially w/r/t Cersei, so that's been kind of disappointing too. But I understood some of the changes the showrunners made to his story, plot-wise, which necessarily delayed some of the other development, so I'm willing to be patient for awhile longer on the internal stuff. Also I really liked the last episode and have liked the whole season quite a bit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Love 3

I think it's another Because Comics, only with books. I have the read the books and I like some of the changes they made and was a little disappointed in others. Overall I've been enjoying this season and I kind of like not knowing what's going to happen next. 

• Love 1

I don't watch the TV show but apparently there is a lot more sexual violence in the TV show than in the books because the producers like it.

Which ties in to the Poldark spoiler on the previous page.  I read the Poldark books when the old series was on (which I think was better done, maybe because it wasn't rushed through like this one is) and I don't remember anything like that in books or on screen.  I've read a few other books by Winston Graham and there's nothing like that in those either.

I can see the benefit of some adapting of older books to modern mores like adding female characters to Jules Verne and Arthur Conan Doyle, not to mention I don't remember Robin Ellis getting any shirtless scenes, but sexual violence for the sake of sexual violence to titillate is too much for me.

Should I look forward to the next remake of Pride and Prejudice having a drunk Wickham rape Lydia because she didn't bring enough of a dowry?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

I don't watch the TV show but apparently there is a lot more sexual violence in the TV show than in the books because the producers like it.

Considering the books, that's really saying something.

19 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

I think it's another Because Comics, only with books. I have the read the books and I like some of the changes they made and was a little disappointed in others. Overall I've been enjoying this season and I kind of like not knowing what's going to happen next. 

No, that's not true. A lot of books fans are quite disappointed with Martin's later books, actually - they just wanted for the showrunners to do better, and they've failed. I liked some of the episodes this season (and even some of their previous decisions - I'll always defend Stannis burning Shireen as making a lot of sense for his character development, and the Hodor stuff was awesome), but overall, I'm bummed. Also, it's hard for me to get over their rape fetish, even if they did seem to have learned their lesson.

19 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

No, that's not true. A lot of books fans are quite disappointed with Martin's later books, actually - they just wanted for the showrunners to do better, and they've failed. I liked some of the episodes this season (and even some of their previous decisions - I'll always defend Stannis burning Shireen as making a lot of sense for his character development, and the Hodor stuff was awesome), but overall, I'm bummed. Also, it's hard for me to get over their rape fetish, even if they did seem to have learned their lesson.

15 hours ago, bijoux said:

Considering the books, that's really saying something.

In the books, it usually happens offscreen and to non-POV characters which helps a lot (for me) because I don't identify with them. It has been changed in the show, pretty much since the pilot (I have no idea why they made Drogo flat-out rape Dany, it killed his TV version for me, of course, it wasn't 100% loving and consensual in the books but way, way more palatable).

“It was taken away from us, and it’s tough to have your children raised by other parents, even if they do a very good job. … For us, it’s not putting down what has been done. It’s to let us finish telling our story.”Jonathan Glickman, president of MGM’s Motion Picture Group, recalls that when he ascended to the position in 2011, the property “had been dormant and, for lack of a better term, it had played itself out at that moment.”

Stop ruining my childhood please!

iY9x9Go.gif

• Love 2
(edited)
18 hours ago, Velocity23 said:
Stop ruining my childhood please!

OK man, I don't know about this. I love the Original movie but, I also love SG1.  Hmm.

It's weird, I remember when FOX was talking about a Buffy (movie) reboot and I was totally against it because it wouldn't have anything from the TV Show.  Now, I'm not totally opposed to a straight up roboot of the original movie. 

I guess it comes down to the quality of the movie vs TV Show (for me anyway).  Buffy movie sucked ass (except for PeeWee Herman) but, the show was great. Stargate movie was great and the show was great  (mostly, S1 and S9-10 sucked but, I loved the rest) so it's like having 2 separate loves meother diminishes the other.  Of course a totally horrible reboot could kill it.

I'm going to put this one down along the lines of the Star Trek reboot, which means I'll probably give it a shot.

Edited by Morrigan2575

Is anyone else having issues with annoying redirect ads on the Previously TV mobile site that tell you your device is infected with a virus, blah blah, something about 28.1% damage?  I have the AdBlock extension for Chrome installed on the desktop, so no problems there, but what do you guys do on your mobile phone?  AdBlock browser?

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, SonofaBiscuit said:

Is anyone else having issues with annoying redirect ads on the Previously TV mobile site that tell you your device is infected with a virus, blah blah, something about 28.1% damage?  I have the AdBlock extension for Chrome installed on the desktop, so no problems there, but what do you guys do on your mobile phone?  AdBlock browser?

Yes, this happened to me on my phone last night.  I ended up installing AVG Free for Android just in case but it is rather frustrating that PTV isn't considered safe.  I come here for entertainment, not for spam and/or viruses.

• Love 2